Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-14-2017, 07:47 PM   #2451
Easy Mac

I just want to hear him say "I am an EF Bee Eye Agent"
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 08:21 PM   #2452
molson
General Manager

So what is the end game for Trump and company with all this Russia stuff? Is this just debt from Russia for helping them win an election? Or is there some plan going forward? Why do these guys love Russia so much? Please explain like I'm 5, I've missed the trees for the forest here.

Last edited by molson : 02-14-2017 at 08:21 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 08:52 PM   #2453
Groundhog
Coordinator

It's just business, that's all. $.
Old 02-14-2017, 09:03 PM   #2454
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
Principled Rand Paul speaks:

"I just don't think it's useful to be doing investigation after investigation, particularly of your own party. We'll never even get started with doing the things we need to do, like repealing Obamacare, if we're spending our whole time having Republicans investigate Republicans. I think it makes no sense."

To be fair that's almost all the GOP congressional delegation. They're willing to let Trump do damn near anything because opposing him in any way risks their legislative agenda.
Old 02-14-2017, 09:14 PM   #2455
Drake
assmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
So what is the end game for Trump and company with all this Russia stuff? Is this just debt from Russia for helping them win an election? Or is there some plan going forward? Why do these guys love Russia so much? Please explain like I'm 5, I've missed the trees for the forest here.

All I know is that it's going to ruin Red Dawn if we have to be friends with the Russians.

I'm not ready to give up Red Dawn yet.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 09:26 PM   #2456
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Oh. My.

Quote:
Phone records and intercepted calls show that members of Donald J. Trump’s 2016 presidential campaign and other Trump associates had repeated contacts with senior Russian intelligence officials in the year before the election, according to four current and former American officials.

If this is true I suspect you'll fairly rapidly see GOPers jump ship. Nobody is going to want to ride out that.
Old 02-14-2017, 09:33 PM   #2457
Jas_lov
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post

Maybe it was Trump's way out in case he did win. They kept Pence out of the loop so he can step in.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 10:08 PM   #2458
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
All I know is that it's going to ruin Red Dawn if we have to be friends with the Russians.

I'm not ready to give up Red Dawn yet.

Just watch the remake.
Old 02-14-2017, 10:24 PM   #2459
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Holy shit. I know that Trump will try to say the New York Times is fake news, but his campaign working with Russian intelligence during the election is treasonous and definitely a 'high crime'.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Old 02-14-2017, 10:25 PM   #2460
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
Just watch the remake.

That remake is worse than treason.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 10:33 PM   #2461
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The remake did have some really good steadicam action sequences in the middle.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 10:52 PM   #2462
Groundhog
Coordinator

It feels bit too conspiracy theory-ish to credit Putin and Russia with both the election result and the continual leaks and Russian links, but man.... I'm close. How things are turning out just seems to align with Russia's goals perfectly.
Old 02-14-2017, 10:59 PM   #2463
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
It feels bit too conspiracy theory-ish to credit Putin and Russia with both the election result and the continual leaks and Russian links, but man.... I'm close. How things are turning out just seems to align with Russia's goals perfectly.

Except that there was a leak from the White House today saying Trump expects Russia to return Crimea.
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 11:08 PM   #2464
Groundhog
Coordinator

I wouldn't be surprised if Russia did tell them exactly that, even before Trump won. Doesn't mean they will actually do it, though.
Old 02-14-2017, 11:48 PM   #2465
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Remember in Catch-22 when Col. Cathcart makes a deal with the Germans to take the cotton off their hands if Cathcart agrees to run missions to bomb his own base?

I'm feeling like that.
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 06:26 AM   #2466
Jas_lov
College Starter

He's on a tweet storm again this morning. Maybe he wouldn't have so many leaks from the intelligence agencies if he hadn't attacked them before he took office.
Old 02-15-2017, 07:44 AM   #2467
Easy Mac

Its not leaks, its fake news. Or wait its not fake news, its leaks. Either way, he's definitely not a communist.
Old 02-15-2017, 10:11 AM   #2468
Atocep
Coordinator

An update to my situation as it comes to the freeze on government hiring and my wife's PCS orders. She successfully appealed to get the orders dropped so we're staying here. If she had kept the orders I would have vacated my position at the start of 2 massive IT projects (both once every 5-10 years type of projects) in a hospital. They would not have been able to fill my position and I would not have been able to transfer my job to her new duty assignment.

This is big for us. It allows us to stay here for the next 3 years and it means my son can finish high school before we move on and not have to transfer during his freshman year.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 12:05 PM   #2469
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

So if Flynn was treated "very unfairly" by "fake media", why did Trump fire him?
Old 02-15-2017, 12:15 PM   #2470
QuikSand
lolzcat

President Donald Trump: Just who the hell do you think you are? | Miami Herald

It does feel like critics are doing a bit of over-the-top "look at me" stuff in talking/writing about this president. I can't sort out to what extent I think it's justified.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 12:44 PM   #2471
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
To be fair that's almost all the GOP congressional delegation. They're willing to let Trump do damn near anything because opposing him in any way risks their legislative agenda.

No it doesn't. If Trump falls, next in line is Pence. If Pence falls, next in line is Ryan.

The only threat to their legislative agenda is if somehow ALL THREE were in on whatever Russo-Trumpian shenanigans were going on.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 01:03 PM   #2472
Easy Mac

I think it severely weakens the party if the President goes down.
Old 02-15-2017, 01:33 PM   #2473
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
President Donald Trump: Just who the hell do you think you are? | Miami Herald

It does feel like critics are doing a bit of over-the-top "look at me" stuff in talking/writing about this president. I can't sort out to what extent I think it's justified.

To be fair, this is the most "look at me" President I've ever seen. So the motto of live by the sword, die by the sword, has to come into play somehow.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 01:34 PM   #2474
QuikSand
lolzcat

Sounds like Puzder (Labor nominee) is withdrawing today.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 02:04 PM   #2475
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

There were something like 7-12 GOP Senators who were refusing to support him. He managed to piss off quite a bit of them.
Old 02-15-2017, 02:14 PM   #2476
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
I think it severely weakens the party if the President goes down.

Maybe. But to what extent is the GOP likely to abandon their legislative priorities if the President goes down? It's not as if the Senate would automagically flip to Democratic control or Nancy Pelosi becomes Speaker again.

"Elections have consequences" is a popular line, and if Trump were to be impeached or to resign, the GOP would not miss a beat in trying to craft their conservative utopia. "Well, we may have had to do our Constitutional duty and impeach Trump over his ties with Russia, but you know what? The American people elected us to do our jobs, too, and that means repealing Obamacare, rolling back job-killing regulations, protecting the sanctity of life, and making sure judges are confirmed who respect the Constitutional role of the courts and don't legislate from the bench."

That, or something very like it, would be the party line between now and the 2018 midterms if we found ourselves with a President Pence (or even a President Ryan).
Old 02-15-2017, 02:25 PM   #2477
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Seems like some sort of grand compromise could be struck here.

Trump gets impeached, removed and tried for treason
Pence becomes President and gets his choice of a palatable VP.
RBG resigns and is replaced by a democratic justice of choice. Hell even just Garland.
Pence gets his justice thru and his cabinet fast tracked within reason
We reboot the whole process and call for a new constitutional convention.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 02:34 PM   #2478
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post

RBG resigns and is replaced by a democratic justice of choice. Hell even just Garland.

JPhillips has said this numerous times and I will just echo his statements. If you guys think Trump's policies make your blood boil just wait what happens if you get your Trump impeachment/resignation. You will be begging for Trump the egomaniac.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 02:36 PM   #2479
Atocep
Coordinator

His statement on Isreal was ignorant and reckless.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 02:37 PM   #2480
Jas_lov
College Starter

The compromise would be Trump resigns and gets pardoned by Pence. Then he could start his tv network and tweet all day.
Old 02-15-2017, 02:40 PM   #2481
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Why would the Republicans piss off half their party that worships Trump? Those people voted against "the establishment" because it was used as their scapegoat in their lives. How mad do you think they'll be when you replace their guy with an establishment guy?
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 02:43 PM   #2482
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
JPhillips has said this numerous times and I will just echo his statements. If you guys think Trump's policies make your blood boil just wait what happens if you get your Trump impeachment/resignation. You will be begging for Trump the egomaniac.

Pence is at least a sane human being. Don't agree with a lot of his views but I don't think he's going to start a war or destroy century old alliances because someone made fun of him on Twitter. I'll take a far-left or far-right President over a mentally ill one any day.
Old 02-15-2017, 02:54 PM   #2483
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
No it doesn't. If Trump falls, next in line is Pence. If Pence falls, next in line is Ryan.

The only threat to their legislative agenda is if somehow ALL THREE were in on whatever Russo-Trumpian shenanigans were going on.

That's if they get rid of him. I'm talking about pissing him off without going so far as to impeach.

But as I said earlier, if they think it likely to happen at some point, I think there's a lot of benefit for the GOP to impeach sooner rather than later. Pence or Ryan will deliver a legislative agenda much more predictably orthodox, and there's a lot of time for wounds to heal between now and Nov. 2018.

The problem is the time and the unknown. There's a limited amount of legislative time before 2018, so the GOP doesn't want to grind things to a halt for a month or two. Also, a party hasn't impeached their own, and it's an awfully big bet to make.
Old 02-15-2017, 03:00 PM   #2484
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post

Yes.

But, Trump is so uniquely dangerous to the republic that, while I'd fight his policies, I'd be much happier with Pence in charge. Trump is the worst thing that can happen to the GOP, maybe an extinction level event, but the country is more important.
Old 02-15-2017, 03:37 PM   #2485
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
Sounds like Puzder (Labor nominee) is withdrawing today.

Video of his ex-wife talking about beating her from an Oprah show in 1990 was probably the last straw for him.
Old 02-15-2017, 03:44 PM   #2486
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:

"reboot the whole process and call for a new constitutional convention" is less "compromise" and more "tactical nuke." Once that convention gets called, anything goes; given the current makeup of state legislatures, that could effectively mean constitutional amendments outlawing abortion, nerfing the 14th Amendment and allowing religious-based discrimination, and so on. You'd be talking about generational, and possibly permanent, defeat on a wide swath of issues in exchange for getting rid of Trump. It's the Kobayashi Maru of "doing the best thing for the Country."

Points 1-4 could form the framework for a "grand compromise," but #5? That's a "heads we win, tails you lose" element.

Quote:
That's if they get rid of him. I'm talking about pissing him off without going so far as to impeach.

But as I said earlier, if they think it likely to happen at some point, I think there's a lot of benefit for the GOP to impeach sooner rather than later. Pence or Ryan will deliver a legislative agenda much more predictably orthodox, and there's a lot of time for wounds to heal between now and Nov. 2018.

The problem is the time and the unknown. There's a limited amount of legislative time before 2018, so the GOP doesn't want to grind things to a halt for a month or two. Also, a party hasn't impeached their own, and it's an awfully big bet to make.

Counterpoint: the effort to impeach Clinton and the talk about impeaching Obama painted the GOP as desperate to get revenge for Nixon. If the GOP impeaches Trump, that allows them to wrap themselves in the flag and say "it's not about politics, it's about the strength of the Republic."

Is it a gamble? Yes. But remember that Democrats are playing massive, massive defense in the Senate, and that House district lines are drawn such that it would take about a 5-6% lead for a generic Democrat for them to flip the House. Even with the razor thin Senate margin, Republicans are still defending about 1/3 as many seats as Democrats are, and several of the ones Democrats have to defend are in GOP-friendly states.

The right spin gets Trump out of the Oval Office and preserves Republican majorities in Congress.
Old 02-15-2017, 03:59 PM   #2487
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
"reboot the whole process and call for a new constitutional convention" is less "compromise" and more "tactical nuke." Once that convention gets called, anything goes; given the current makeup of state legislatures, that could effectively mean constitutional amendments outlawing abortion, nerfing the 14th Amendment and allowing religious-based discrimination, and so on. You'd be talking about generational, and possibly permanent, defeat on a wide swath of issues in exchange for getting rid of Trump. It's the Kobayashi Maru of "doing the best thing for the Country."

Eh... any Constitutional Convention would run into ratification issues. They may decide how their new Constitution would have to be ratified in order to be the 'law of the land', but I'd guarantee that those states who rejected ratification would assert that they are not under the new Constitution but the old.

Of course that may likely lead to civil war, so that's likely not ideal either.
Old 02-15-2017, 04:03 PM   #2488
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Points 1-4 could form the framework for a "grand compromise," but #5? That's a "heads we win, tails you lose" element.

Counterpoint: the effort to impeach Clinton and the talk about impeaching Obama painted the GOP as desperate to get revenge for Nixon. If the GOP impeaches Trump, that allows them to wrap themselves in the flag and say "it's not about politics, it's about the strength of the Republic."

Is it a gamble? Yes. But remember that Democrats are playing massive, massive defense in the Senate, and that House district lines are drawn such that it would take about a 5-6% lead for a generic Democrat for them to flip the House. Even with the razor thin Senate margin, Republicans are still defending about 1/3 as many seats as Democrats are, and several of the ones Democrats have to defend are in GOP-friendly states.

The right spin gets Trump out of the Oval Office and preserves Republican majorities in Congress.

I still don't understand what is the upside for Republicans in this scenario. They anger their base for what?
Old 02-15-2017, 04:28 PM   #2489
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
That remake is worse than treason.

It wasn't that bad but definitely not as good as the original.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 04:32 PM   #2490
SackAttack
Head Coach

Their base is going to be angered by anything short of "and a pony, too" at this point. They've had the Presidency and Congress for almost a whole month and Obamacare STILL hasn't been repealed OMGWTFBBQ.

Put another way: are Republicans going to abandon the party in the midterms and either not vote, or vote for Democrats? Probably not. Can they spin it to be palatable to independents? Sure. If, four years from now, they can point to 'look at all the shit we got done,' are base Republicans going to care that Trump was dumped and vote for Chelsea Clinton (or whoever the hell) instead?
Old 02-15-2017, 04:34 PM   #2491
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

The optimal situation for the GOP is Trump resigning without articles of impeachment, but I just don't see Trump leaving without burning the buildings and salting the earth.
Old 02-15-2017, 06:05 PM   #2492
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
His statement on _______ was ignorant and reckless.

Fixed it for you. Madlibs president!
Old 02-15-2017, 08:09 PM   #2493
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Cheeto-in-chief is holding a 2020 campaign rally on Saturday.
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 08:18 PM   #2494
Swaggs
Coordinator

The Russia-US stuff is all going to come down to oil and rich folks getting richer.

There is just too much going on there, between the big Russian oil sell off to unknown buyers, the Flynn stuff, Tillerson as secretary of state, and the leaks that certainly appeared to hurt Hillary (rather than both candidates).

I think Trump may have even had some good intentions, in thinking that a stronger Russia may provide more direct competition for China. The problem is he has been playing checkers with grandmaster chess players in Putin, Tillerson, etc (and I think Obama had some awareness, hence the late stage Arctic drilling ban and expulsion of the Russian agents).
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 08:26 PM   #2495
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
(and I think Obama had some awareness, hence the late stage Arctic drilling ban and expulsion of the Russian agents).

Obama did that pretty close to the end too. Looks pretty interesting after yesterday's revelations.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 09:55 PM   #2496
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrescentMoonie View Post
Cheeto-in-chief is holding a 2020 campaign rally on Saturday.

I'm likely to be there protesting against him ... that's my neck of the woods ... I'll wave at you chaps as I get arrested
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 10:09 PM   #2497
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post
I'm likely to be there protesting against him ... that's my neck of the woods ... I'll wave at you chaps as I get arrested

If a large enough group can get it going, the best way to protest Trump's rallies is for enough people to get tickets to it and just not show up.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 10:11 PM   #2498
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Step 1: Trump talks to Chinese Premier

Step: 2: Trump says U.S. will honor 1 China policy

Step 3: Chinese trademark for Trump businesses approved after multi-year delay
Old 02-15-2017, 11:28 PM   #2499
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Step 1: Trump talks to Chinese Premier

Step: 2: Trump says U.S. will honor 1 China policy

Step 3: Chinese trademark for Trump businesses approved after multi-year delay

Where are your Cards Against Humanity skills?

Comeon on...

Everybody!

Step 4........
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 12:05 AM   #2500
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Their base is going to be angered by anything short of "and a pony, too" at this point. They've had the Presidency and Congress for almost a whole month and Obamacare STILL hasn't been repealed OMGWTFBBQ.

Put another way: are Republicans going to abandon the party in the midterms and either not vote, or vote for Democrats? Probably not. Can they spin it to be palatable to independents? Sure. If, four years from now, they can point to 'look at all the shit we got done,' are base Republicans going to care that Trump was dumped and vote for Chelsea Clinton (or whoever the hell) instead?

I still don't get what the upside is for Republicans to get rid of Trump. You're saying that there may not be any repercussions but not saying what they could possibly gain by doing it. Seems like a high risk, no reward scheme that comes from the left.