Comedy Pacers vs Grizzlies option(Stern says no) 3 6.38%
Other(please list) 2 4.26%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-09-2012, 12:47 PM   #201
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
That and the fact that he's a fucking horrible coach.

This.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:48 PM   #202
bhlloy
Coordinator

You either need a Spoelstra who will just stay out of the way and be a figurehead or say f it and let Kobe and Nash be player coaches. D'Antoni might work for Nash and Howard but I think he'd butt heads with Kobe
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:12 PM   #203
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
D'Antoni might work for Nash and Howard but I think he'd butt heads with Kobe

But it worked so well with Melo...
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:19 PM   #204
heybrad
Norm!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
D'Antoni might work for Nash and Howard but I think he'd butt heads with Kobe
Supposedly Kobe loved him during his Team USA time.
heybrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:27 PM   #205
bhlloy
Coordinator

Maybe, but an NBA season is a long time. I think his offense would naturally revolve around Nash and Howard and I don't know how well that would go over.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:46 PM   #206
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Geez, it's 5 regular season NBA games. Kobe or somebody must have wanted him gone for a while, or there must be someone they really, really want to bring in, and this is the excuse to do it.

I would prefer the Dwight Howard is a coach killer narrative.

As far as bringing in D'Antoni, is this his type of roster? His teams usually have three point shooters and/or athletes and the Lakers don't necessarily have an abundance of either. His teams also don't excel defensively.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:21 PM   #207
korme
Go Reds

There was an argument on Open Court about greatest coach ever- and of course Phil was brought up. Reggie Miller made the obvious argument, if he didn't have Jordan or Kobe would he have won those titles?

Well on the opposite side of that, Mike Brown has had Lebron and Kobe and has nothing to show for it. Bad coach.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:25 PM   #208
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

my biggest coaching pet peeve. system over pieces.
NorvTurnerOverdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:29 PM   #209
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
But it worked so well with Melo...

Kobe is 1 million times the winner that Melo is. Kobe would likely be fine with Dantoni.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:41 PM   #210
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Dantoni makes sense to me. Then we can see the Lakers lose in the first round by an average score of 138-120
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 03:30 PM   #211
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
There was an argument on Open Court about greatest coach ever- and of course Phil was brought up. Reggie Miller made the obvious argument, if he didn't have Jordan or Kobe would he have won those titles?

Well on the opposite side of that, Mike Brown has had Lebron and Kobe and has nothing to show for it. Bad coach.

Hmmm, D'Antoni did not do that much with the Suns that was led by a two time MVP(snicker) and a star laden Knicks team. I am not sure he is the answer.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 11-09-2012, 03:30 PM   #212
miami_fan
Coordinator

But yes, Mike Brown is a horrible coach.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:58 PM   #213
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
The Lakers fired Mike Brown just five games into their 82-game regular season after a 1-4 start. Just how fast of a firing was it based on percentage of the season played compared to other sports? Here's a look:

• NFL coach getting fired before the end of the 1st game (with 1:28 left, to be precise)
• MLB manager getting fired in the 8th inning of the 10th game
• College football coach getting fired before the end of the 3rd quarter in the 1st game (assuming a 12-game season)
• College basketball coach getting fired before the 2nd game ends (assuming a 30-game schedule)
• Premier League manager getting fired in the 1st half of the 3rd game (38-game schedule)

I find this funny
Old 11-09-2012, 04:50 PM   #214
kingfc22
Head Coach

He was a poor hire from the start as they should have given the job to Shaw once Phil "retired".
Old 11-10-2012, 12:02 AM   #215
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

D'antoni makes sense. Kobe has high regard for him and idolized him when he grew up in Italy watching him play ball.
Old 11-10-2012, 12:22 AM   #216
miami_fan
Coordinator

So what is the price for Phil to come back? 15 mil? 17 mil?
Old 11-10-2012, 01:01 AM   #217
MrBug708
Head Coach

Probably 15
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 01:25 AM   #218
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The price is the price. Just freaking pay it.
stevew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 04:25 AM   #219
whomario
Pro Starter

Andrei Kirilenko is awesome

Little surprised by Peks slow start (clearly having trouble to adjust to the increased attention he´s getting)and no one is really scoring consistently, but as a team they get it done.

Shved has looked really looked really good aside from the first game, kid is just a natural fit for the nba game much like Rubio was. Hasn´t found his shot yet, but his passing and his slashing game are fun.

And Kirilenko is just impressive as hell if you watch games whole instead of highlights, the guy does so many little things on both ends.

And the pass for tonights game winner was awesome, there´s not many guys who find a cutter like that in that situation. Of course, Gerald Green also brain farted there, but still

sucks that Roy had to leave the game, hope soreness is all there is to it
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 11-10-2012 at 04:25 AM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:35 AM   #220
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

I think I would be more interested in seeing Mike D'Antoni get the job. He would be cheaper and a lot less maintenance.
Old 11-10-2012, 09:02 AM   #221
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
The price is the price. Just freaking pay it.

The team consists of a psychopath, sociopath, two year old, a high strung Spaniard, Steve Nash, and a bunch of cardboard cut-outs. Why would he come back for any amount? He clearly doesn't need the money.

I think Bobby Valentine is available.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:16 AM   #222
MrBug708
Head Coach

The same reason why Michael Jordan had to play baseball. The same reason why Kobe won't sit out games. They don't know how to say no
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 04:16 PM   #223
miami_fan
Coordinator

Kevin McHale takes leave of absence from Houston Rockets - ESPN

Quote:
HOUSTON -- Houston Rockets coach Kevin McHale has taken a leave of absence to deal with a family matter.

The team announced the move on Saturday and says assistant coach Kelvin Sampson will be in charge while McHale is out.

There is no timetable for the return of the second-year coach and Hall of Fame player.

Rockets general manager Daryl Morey said: "Kevin is a devoted family man who is needed back home in Minnesota at the moment. The Rockets organization will keep Kevin and his family in our thoughts and prayers during this difficult time."

He didn't provide any further details on the specifics of the situation.

I hope for the best for the McHale family. On a much lighter note, Kelvin Sampson is actually a head coach in the NBA.
Old 11-10-2012, 04:25 PM   #224
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo View Post
The team consists of a psychopath, sociopath, two year old, a high strung Spaniard, Steve Nash, and a bunch of cardboard cut-outs. Why would he come back for any amount? He clearly doesn't need the money.

I think Bobby Valentine is available.

Phil has a big ego. A chance to further idolize himself in the minds of many by winning more titles is surely tempting. The Lakers have more talent than any team in the league.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:14 PM   #225
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
I find this funny

1988 Baltimore Orioles season - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 11-10-2012, 06:16 PM   #226
cuervo72
Head Coach

Re: Phil; man is this act getting tiring. He has to retire every so often just to remind everyone how great he is and so they can come crawling, begging for him to come back.
Old 11-11-2012, 06:56 PM   #227
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

Weird situation that followed the Spurs-Kings on Friday night:

hxxp://deadspin.com/5959649/awesome-demarcus-cousins-suspended-two-games-for-trash+talking-terrible-sean-elliott

I was watching the Spurs feed and Spurs' color guy, Sean Elliot was being the typical homer. In the 4th quarter, Cousins beat Duncan and then starting talking to the Spurs bench. Elliot reported what Cousins said on air saying that Demarcus had taunted the bench with, "I'm going to beat his [butt]." Duncan then spent the next several plays torching Cousins. While Duncan was torching Cousins, Elliot started going off on Cousins with the quotes from the article above only to have Cousins show up after the post-game show. Elliot's comments were dumb, but Cousins was still acting like he was 13. Elliot has been saying these kinds of things for years, but to have a player come after him for it has to be a first.
Ajaxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:20 PM   #228
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaxab View Post
Weird situation that followed the Spurs-Kings on Friday night:

hxxp://deadspin.com/5959649/awesome-demarcus-cousins-suspended-two-games-for-trash+talking-terrible-sean-elliott

I was watching the Spurs feed and Spurs' color guy, Sean Elliot was being the typical homer. In the 4th quarter, Cousins beat Duncan and then starting talking to the Spurs bench. Elliot reported what Cousins said on air saying that Demarcus had taunted the bench with, "I'm going to beat his [butt]." Duncan then spent the next several plays torching Cousins. While Duncan was torching Cousins, Elliot started going off on Cousins with the quotes from the article above only to have Cousins show up after the post-game show. Elliot's comments were dumb, but Cousins was still acting like he was 13. Elliot has been saying these kinds of things for years, but to have a player come after him for it has to be a first.

I used to think the Nuggets had the biggest homer announcers of all time. Scott Hastings complains about the refs more than I do, which isn't an easy thing. Then I watched one of the free games on nba league pass last year and heard Eliott. I was shocked at how bad he was. This guy puts Hawk Harrelson and any other homer announcer to shame.

----------------------

As for Phil, I love how he leaves right when everyone in the world can see the Lakers are on their way to imploding. Then decides to come back right when it looks like they are setup for another title run. Like Alex Ferguson at ManU, now I get to listen to a coach who gets 98% of all the calls bitch about not getting the other 2%. If The Finals ends up being Lakers/Heat, I will cheer for a players strike to wipe out the finals.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:48 PM   #229
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
Phil has a big ego. A chance to further idolize himself in the minds of many by winning more titles is surely tempting. The Lakers have more talent than any team in the league.

Their first five are. Their bench is horrendous.
Old 11-12-2012, 02:46 AM   #230
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaxab View Post
Elliot's comments were dumb, but Cousins was still acting like he was 13. Elliot has been saying these kinds of things for years, but to have a player come after him for it has to be a first.

How so ? Cousins is working real hard to surpass Javale McGee at the top on the "really talented players that leave their brain in the locker room" list, gotta give him his props, no ?
A couple weeks ago against the Timberwolves even the Kings announcers were killing him most of the game, at one point he committed (yet another) goal tending penalty right when they were talking about this being the time in the game he has to get his head in the game and basically their reaction was hilarious.

Also, it´s absolutely true that Duncan made it a point to shut him up
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
Old 11-12-2012, 02:54 AM   #231
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Lakers hire Mike D'Antoni as next coach - Yahoo! Sports
Old 11-12-2012, 07:43 AM   #232
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post

ESPN was saying it was due to the triangle offense and it would take longer for the team to learn, but to me it's less drama and less pay.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:51 AM   #233
Desnudo
Coordinator

Relaxed travel schedule. was he only going to coach home games? If Kobe says he loves him, I give him 10 games.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:35 AM   #234
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
ESPN was saying it was due to the triangle offense and it would take longer for the team to learn, but to me it's less drama and less pay.

If the triangle was going to be the problem, then the Lakers should not have even called Phil. It is not like he is going to be running a new offense at this stage. Given the relationship that Phil had with Jim Buss in the past, I see this as Phil asking for a bit too much and Jim Buss saying hell no. I guess we will see what D'Antoni learned from his time in New York.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:45 AM   #235
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

yeah, who knows what machinations took place behind the scenes. from an entertainment standpoint i like d'antoni. but if i was a laker fan i'd be pissed. phil gives you the best chance to win a champ. triangle or not he's smart enough to make it work
NorvTurnerOverdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:53 AM   #236
heybrad
Norm!!!

This is all just my own speculation, but we know the Buss family really doesn't like Phil and Jim Buss specifically hates Phil. I think the minute Phil asked for any type of organization control, that most likely ended their talks. I heard that Phil asked for either GM control or a piece of ownership, none of which the Buss family would have gone for.

I don't know what to think of D'Antoni. Hopefully this improves the offense and the players are veteran enough to put in the work on the defensive side (which i don't think D'Antoni helps at all).
Old 11-12-2012, 11:07 AM   #237
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post

The Lakers live on drama and have money to burn.

This was about control.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 11-12-2012 at 11:07 AM.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 02:33 PM   #238
cuervo72
Head Coach

Good on the Lakers.
Old 11-12-2012, 03:01 PM   #239
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Once Brooks fails to win this year, OKC should make Phil the godfather offer.
Old 11-12-2012, 03:23 PM   #240
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post

Glad to hear this. Otherwise we'd be treated to even more media-fellatio of Phil as he unretired and then inevitably reretired.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:36 PM   #241
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Phil Jackson releases statement:

Quote:
6:57PM EST November 12. 2012 - Phil Jackson issued a statement regarding the Los Angeles Lakers coaching situation.

Saturday morning, Jim Buss, called to ask if he could come and visit. I did not solicit or ask for the opportunity, but I welcomed both he and Mitch Kupchak into my home to discuss the possibility of my return to the Lakers as the head coach.

We talked for over an hour and a half. No contractual terms were discussed and we concluded with a hand shake and an understanding that I would have until Monday (today) to come back to them with my decision. I did convey to them that I did have the confidence that I could do the job. I was awakened at midnight on Sunday by a phone call from Mitch Kupchak.

He told me that the Lakers had signed Mike D'Antoni to a 3-year agreement and that they felt he was the best coach for the team. The decision is of course theirs to make. I am gratified by the groundswell of support from the Laker Fans who endorsed my return and it is the principal reason why I considered the possibility.

Phil Jackson issues statement on Lakers coach position
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:39 PM   #242
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Glad to hear this. Otherwise we'd be treated to even more media-fellatio of Phil as he unretired and then inevitably reretired.

I believe that 10 titles may actually warrant a dick sucking by the media. It's a way better achievement than Red Auerbach winning 9 titles when there was no free agency and only roughly 12 teams in the NBA.

Last edited by stevew : 11-12-2012 at 07:40 PM.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:44 PM   #243
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Actually there were 8 teams for the first half of the streak, and only 12 teams during the final title run.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:58 PM   #244
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Drachma View Post

Surprised no comment on this. They gave Phil to 12:01 a.m. Monday. The very first minute of Monday. And then told him they had hired D'Antoni.

That's some oddball stuff right there.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:07 PM   #245
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I believe that 10 titles may actually warrant a dick sucking by the media. It's a way better achievement than Red Auerbach winning 9 titles when there was no free agency and only roughly 12 teams in the NBA.

I wasn't arguing whether it was warranted or not...I was just saying it's tiresome to listen to.

Then again it's not like I spend any time watching ESPN anymore anyways, so I guess it wouldn't affect me.

And I'm not sure how much better then Red it was...considering the unparalled talents that Phil had in MJ and Kobe. Not saying the C's didn't have talent too, but it's not that clear of a difference.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:14 PM   #246
Groundhog
Coordinator

I tend to think D'Antoni was the right choice over Phil, given his health etc. Probably the best choice for Phil too.

Drummond has an offensive and defensive awareness rating of about 12, but I'll admit that it appears I was wrong about him so far. He's showing far more ability than he did in college. If/when Monroe flees town he should be ready to step straight in.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:22 PM   #247
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
I wasn't arguing whether it was warranted or not...I was just saying it's tiresome to listen to.

Then again it's not like I spend any time watching ESPN anymore anyways, so I guess it wouldn't affect me.

And I'm not sure how much better then Red it was...considering the unparalled talents that Phil had in MJ and Kobe. Not saying the C's didn't have talent too, but it's not that clear of a difference.

You can probably make an Xs and Os argument for either guy, but Red Auerbach actually had to build his teams and continuously fleece other teams in trades, while Jackson picked his spots and joined teams that were pretty much impossible to lose with. His playoff success is very impressive though. And while there's more teams now, it doesn't really seem that way. There's a handful of high profile franchises and a supporting cast. The Celtics were garbage when Red showed up.

Last edited by molson : 11-12-2012 at 09:26 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 03:26 PM   #248
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Twitter / Search - #nbapalate
Old 11-13-2012, 04:31 PM   #249
whomario
Pro Starter

Budinger out 3-4 months with a knee injury (so basically for the season ...), the crap keeps on piling up for the Wolves this year ...
Barea and Roy missed the game against the Mavs as well and Pekovic left with a sprained ankle.

Another "how did they win that ?" game. Kirilenko with 16/11 and amazing defense against pretty much everybody.
Old 11-13-2012, 06:08 PM   #250
heybrad
Norm!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Jackson picked his spots and joined teams that were pretty much impossible to lose with.
Doug Collins and Del Harris would disagree with this.