Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-22-2012, 06:09 PM   #201
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
I assumed ColtCrazy was talking about the bashing of Peyton and hence why I said Brady landed in the better organization. If we are talking Eli, then nevermind.

Yeah, I'm talking about Peyton. Can't complain about Eli's situation. There's a reason the Polians were ousted after one bad season. It had been a long time coming. Some great picks over the years, but far too many bad ones. Our over reliance on UFAs caught up to them once Manning went down. I guess I just get annoyed when media tries to play up that Brady is significantly better than Manning. I understand there's a personal preference, and I think regardless they have both been great QBs. Maybe I like to play the what if card of what if Manning had better defenses through the years, better rushing attacks after James left, and in some cases, better coaching. It'll just be the GOAT talk that will get to me. I just don't agree with it (and no, I don't think Manning is either).

As for Manning, if he goes, I will always appreciate what he did for football in Indy in general. Before Brady, the Pats at least had some success. The Indy version of the Colts were horrible, save for Captain Comeback's one great year. Without Manning there is no Lucas Oil Stadium and perhaps, no Colts in Indy at all. I'll take the one Super Bowl win and the memories of a second trip. I just hope that my last image of him isn't him throwing his hands up in disgust as Caldwell calls that TO against the Jets. Sadly, I think we have.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 06:09 PM   #202
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
Jumping into the stands was grandfathered in as an allowable celebration. That is specifically allowed by the NFL. Jumping onto a camera stand, however, is not. The stand was used as a prop.

STILL LAME DISLIKE!!!
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 06:09 PM   #203
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Fun fact: Only one player is allowed to leap into the stands after a touchdown. If two players leap into the stands to celebrate the same touchdown, it's a penalty.
Old 01-22-2012, 06:11 PM   #204
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Which is why I view NE/BOS or the NYY differently from IND or PIT (Cards? Braves?). I don't get that folks from Pittsburgh or Indy particularly relish rubbing it in.

I don't relish in rubbing it in at all, I've been to may Boston sporting events at road sites and have met a lot of great fans from other teams - but when people come after you and say the refs gave you the game, or the refs gave you the entire dynasty, I think a different reaction is appropriate. Back in the day, I used to get defensive, then I used to just apologize, now, it's all just funny. If I had been lucky enough to be at the game today, I'd probably end up having beers with Ravens fans talking about the game. But when it's an asshole that comes at you - how are you supposed to respond? You tell me and I'll do it.

Last edited by molson : 01-22-2012 at 06:12 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 06:11 PM   #205
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Fun fact: Only one player is allowed to leap into the stands after a touchdown. If two players leap into the stands to celebrate the same touchdown, it's a penalty.

Fun Fact #2: Less people have died standing on camera stands than in World Wars I and II, combined!
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 06:14 PM   #206
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
Fun Fact #2: Less people have died standing on camera stands than in World Wars I and II, combined!
But imagine if Vernon Davis had fallen off! He might become even slower and then those snails in the New York secondary might be able to catch him!
Old 01-22-2012, 06:14 PM   #207
kingfc22
Head Coach

You don't run on this D!
Old 01-22-2012, 06:14 PM   #208
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I don't relish in rubbing it in at all, I've been to may Boston sporting events at road sites and have met a lot of great fans from other teams - but when people come after you and say the refs gave you the game, or the refs gave you the entire dynasty, I think a different reaction is appropriate. Back in the day, I used to get defensive, then I used to just apologize, now, it's all just funny. If I had been lucky enough to be at the game today, I'd probably end up having beers with Ravens fans talking about the game. But when it's an asshole that comes at you - how are you supposed to respond? You tell me and I'll do it.

I guess I don't know. I've not totally figured out how to respond to folks hating my own teams or fan bases (like, what is even behind Bucc's hatred of the Eagles or Phillies? They've traditionally never won anything.)

Last edited by cuervo72 : 01-22-2012 at 06:15 PM.
cuervo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 06:15 PM   #209
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
I guess I don't know. I've not totally figured out how to respond to folks hating my own teams or fan bases (like, what is even behind Bucc's hatred of the Eagles or Phillies? They've traditionally never won anything.)
I don't really know what to suggest, but I just tell them to go jump off a bridge into lake fuck, and they generally leave me alone after that.
Old 01-22-2012, 06:17 PM   #210
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Quote:

Yeah. I may hate the Pats, but I know better than to sit and verbally insult people about it. Everyone has their favorites and their dislikes. But people that are just stupidly vocal about it irritate me. I remember apologizing to some fans at the Colts game sitting next to me once because the drunks in front of us just wouldn't shut up.

HUGE break for the Niners there.
Old 01-22-2012, 06:17 PM   #211
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtCrazy View Post
Yeah, I'm talking about Peyton. Can't complain about Eli's situation. There's a reason the Polians were ousted after one bad season. It had been a long time coming. Some great picks over the years, but far too many bad ones. Our over reliance on UFAs caught up to them once Manning went down. I guess I just get annoyed when media tries to play up that Brady is significantly better than Manning. I understand there's a personal preference, and I think regardless they have both been great QBs. Maybe I like to play the what if card of what if Manning had better defenses through the years, better rushing attacks after James left, and in some cases, better coaching. It'll just be the GOAT talk that will get to me. I just don't agree with it (and no, I don't think Manning is either).

As for Manning, if he goes, I will always appreciate what he did for football in Indy in general. Before Brady, the Pats at least had some success. The Indy version of the Colts were horrible, save for Captain Comeback's one great year. Without Manning there is no Lucas Oil Stadium and perhaps, no Colts in Indy at all. I'll take the one Super Bowl win and the memories of a second trip. I just hope that my last image of him isn't him throwing his hands up in disgust as Caldwell calls that TO against the Jets. Sadly, I think we have.

FWIW - Any Pats fan that I can think of respects...no...fears Peyton. Dude is absolutely nails. They got in his head there for a while...yeah...but he's scary.

I don't know any actual football fans (as you said, aside from the media who are constantly trying to manufacture stories/controversy to keep their jobs) who argue that Brady is significantly better than Peyton.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 06:19 PM   #212
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

It still pisses me off that the Lambeau Leap was grandfathered in. Like...why should the Packers get special treatment? Every team should have 1 grandfathered in celebration. Make it fair. Otherwise it's fucking bullshit.
Old 01-22-2012, 06:20 PM   #213
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
FWIW - Any Pats fan that I can think of respects...no...fears Peyton. Dude is absolutely nails. They got in his head there for a while...yeah...but he's scary.

I don't know any actual football fans (as you said, aside from the media who are constantly trying to manufacture stories/controversy to keep their jobs) who argue that Brady is significantly better than Peyton.

Excellent point. True Colts fans say the same about Brady. The guy just scares you. Only Brees commands that type of respect from our fan base. And I'll never forget a conversation I had with fellow Colts fans in 2008. We actually missed Brady. No of us were happy when he got hurt that year, even if we don't like them.

Yeah, it's the media that ticks me off. Call me a Midwest homer something the media can never be called.
Old 01-22-2012, 06:20 PM   #214
Buccaneer
Head Coach

cuervo, for me, it usually comes down to a player (or two) and/or a coach or owner and thus, not a long term thing.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 06:20 PM   #215
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
If a runner breaks the plane of the goal line, he already has possession and he is already a runner. It is an absolutely, completely, utterly different scenario than a player trying to establish possession in the end zone.

+111111111111111111

I agree with the Steelers fan....
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 06:21 PM   #216
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
It still pisses me off that the Lambeau Leap was grandfathered in. Like...why should the Packers get special treatment? Every team should have 1 grandfathered in celebration. Make it fair. Otherwise it's fucking bullshit.
Well, it's not like only the Packers are allowed to do it. Any team can. Dunking the ball over the goalpost was grandfathered in, too.

I do, however, think that they should have grandfathered in the Cleveland Browns celebration of dropping to the ground and crying in disbelief that they actually reached the end zone for a change. Sadly, going to the ground in the end zone to celebrate is a penalty.
Old 01-22-2012, 06:21 PM   #217
ColtCrazy
College Starter

This Niner D is fast. Faster than the Ravens I think. Eli looks poised though.
Old 01-22-2012, 06:21 PM   #218
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
+111111111111111111

I agree with the Steelers fan....
LOL
Old 01-22-2012, 06:21 PM   #219
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Excellent point. True Colts fans say the same about Brady. The guy just scares you. Only Brees commands that type of respect from our fan base. And I'll never forget a conversation I had with fellow Colts fans in 2008. We actually missed Brady. No of us were happy when he got hurt that year, even if we don't like them.

Yeah, it's the media that ticks me off. Call me a Midwest homer something the media can never be called.

Same with me and Manning this year. It just doesn't feel...right without him out there on the other side of the field. Like it's a hollow win, ya know?

I try to just ignore all the media bullshit...it's so fucking contrived all the time...I just roll my eyes at the shit they say.
Old 01-22-2012, 06:24 PM   #220
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
cuervo, for me, it usually comes down to a player (or two) and/or a coach or owner and thus, not a long term thing.

I'd agree with this. That goes with likes and dislikes. Liked the Dolphins when Marino was there, couldn't care less about them now. Huge Fouts fan growing up, can't stand Rivers. Heck, I liked Steve Grogan, not a fan of Brady. Some teams are universal. Never liked the Steelers, always kind of liked the Bengals.

CRUUUUUUUUUZZZZZZZ. Another example. He saved my fantasy season, so I'm a fan of his!
Old 01-22-2012, 06:25 PM   #221
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I'm glad to have witnessed some of the great QBs in the 70s; Montana/Marino/Elway in the 80s-90s; and Brady/Peyton/Brees in the 00s.
Old 01-22-2012, 06:27 PM   #222
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
This Niner D is fast. Faster than the Ravens I think. Eli looks poised though.

The difference is you can throw on the 49ers.
Old 01-22-2012, 06:29 PM   #223
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Quote:
I'm glad to have witnessed some of the great QBs in the 70s; Montana/Marino/Elway in the 80s-90s; and Brady/Peyton/Brees in the 00s.

I agree. Glad my dad took me to games in that era and I got to see Montana, Marino, and Elway play. Montana was the most impressive, and Marino was the one you just didn't know what was going to happen.
Old 01-22-2012, 06:30 PM   #224
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Quote:

Hmmm. So I want the Giants to win then, huh?
Old 01-22-2012, 06:31 PM   #225
kingfc22
Head Coach

Eli has been money on 3rd down. Niners need Aldon and Justin to get more pressure.
Old 01-22-2012, 06:31 PM   #226
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

PLEASE CRUZ SALSA DANCE PLEASE
Old 01-22-2012, 06:31 PM   #227
molson
General Manager

Quote:

I hear ya, it's tricky how to deal with that, and I know I haven't always responded the perfect way, but I still think the #1 douchebag move in sports fandom is immediately trying to take a fan down after their team wins a big game. That is rampant on FOFC, it does remind me of old times when the Pats were winning, and there was a few prime examples of it here (not from you). When I'm at a party and I meet a Yankee fan, or a Colts fan, it's always a great time, there's good back-and-forth (I confess my fears of Manning, and Jeter, or whoever), I just don't care for it when it gets all mean-spirited like it can here and people are immediately trying to bring you down.

Last edited by molson : 01-22-2012 at 06:36 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 06:32 PM   #228
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I HATE THE NEW YORK GIANTS FOR NOT HAVING VICTOR CRUZ CATCH A TOUCHDOWN PASS JUST NOW
Old 01-22-2012, 06:38 PM   #229
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I find it amusing the media talking about Brady's terrible day when he went 22 of 36 for 239 yards and with 2 INTs. I think it's a nod to Tom's greatness when that would be terrible in the days of 6 for 21, 121 yds QBs.
Old 01-22-2012, 06:42 PM   #230
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Wow. Giants player rips off Anthony Davis's helmet and the Niners get the only penalty? Come on now.

Last edited by Vince, Pt. II : 01-22-2012 at 06:45 PM.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 06:42 PM   #231
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Vernon Davis. Insanely talented, dumb as shit.
Old 01-22-2012, 06:43 PM   #232
MJ4H
Coordinator

Brady himself said he "really sucked" today on the field in an interview that the entire stadium could hear. The crowd chuckled. I don't know if he did that badly, but he at least thought so.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 06:43 PM   #233
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
In the 6 seasons prior to this, we've had the f'n Steelers and the Colts in the SB twice and the Pats only once. Thankfully we hadn't had the Jets.

Yeah, I was really hoping to see the Ravens make it this year... and I agree with the Jets not making it.. thank goodness for that!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 06:44 PM   #234
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post
Brady himself said he "really sucked" today on the field in an interview that the entire stadium could hear. The crowd chuckled. I don't know if he did that badly, but he at least thought so.

Very high standards.
Old 01-22-2012, 06:45 PM   #235
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Very high standards.

Yep, I agree with you on that.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 06:46 PM   #236
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post

His two INT's were bad. The first one he shouldn't have thrown against that secondary...and the second was just utterly stupid.

Other than that I thought he was fine frankly. 22/36 isn't steller, but it's not "sucky."

I also think he's pissed they had to settle for all those FGs and didn't punch it in more often on some of those.
Old 01-22-2012, 06:59 PM   #237
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJasper View Post
Vernon Davis. Insanely talented, dumb as shit.

I'm a Vernon Davis fan, but that was WAY out of line.

Also a dead ball penalty AFTER a first down. Did that used to be first and twenty five, or was that college ball?

Last edited by Glengoyne : 01-22-2012 at 07:03 PM.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 07:08 PM   #238
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Niners planning on covering Victor Cruz at some point?
Old 01-22-2012, 07:09 PM   #239
RedKingGold
College Starter

You might want to put Carlos Rogers on someone else, Cruz is introducing him to the gimp.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 07:11 PM   #240
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJasper View Post
Niners planning on covering Victor Cruz at some point?

Old 01-22-2012, 07:23 PM   #241
Grover
Pro Starter

A bit off topic, but this is where the action is at the moment...

"Per NewsChannel 8 in Oregon, Chip Kelly will be Buccaneers' next head coach "if he can come to terms on a contract."

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 07:25 PM   #242
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post
A bit off topic, but this is where the action is at the moment...

"Per NewsChannel 8 in Oregon, Chip Kelly will be Buccaneers' next head coach "if he can come to terms on a contract."

Interesting hire if true...
Old 01-22-2012, 07:28 PM   #243
stevew
Hall Of Famer

How wasn't that helmet to helmet on defenseless Bradshaw called?
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 07:40 PM   #244
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Niners need to get some pressure on Eli
Old 01-22-2012, 07:42 PM   #245
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

The Giants uniforms are fucking ugly. I hope the 49ers win just so I don't have to watch the Giants ugly uniforms anymore.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:44 PM   #246
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
How wasn't that helmet to helmet on defenseless Bradshaw called?

BECAUSE BRADSHAW DOESN'T PLAY FOR THE PATRIOTS!!!
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 07:44 PM   #247
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
The Giants uniforms are fucking ugly. I hope the 49ers win just so I don't have to watch the Giants ugly uniforms anymore.

That's how I felt about the Ravens uniforms.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:47 PM   #248
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Why do anything to draw attention to yourself after getting a penalty earlier? I guess this is one of those generational things?
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 07:47 PM   #249
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Vernon Davis. Playoff MVP if they win this game
Old 01-22-2012, 07:48 PM   #250
cuervo72
Head Coach

I don't mind the Giants' unis outside the super-stretchiness of them, which I think would make anything look like crap.

The Ravens...yeah, I'm not fond of those. The purple jerseys I can take, but the all-black pants aren't good (same goes for the Saints when they wear them).