Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-28-2012, 10:45 PM   #201
A-Husker-4-Life
College Prospect

my 360 is a great Netflix device, that's all it's been used for in the last year. Console's really are sad... no football games at all to speak of, nothing really special about them anymore..
Old 03-28-2012, 11:08 PM   #202
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, I feel like I'm almost growing out of my console for gaming purposes. There are things like Skyrim I still pick up, although don't need a console for it. But it was primarily a sports game machine for me and most of the sports games suck.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 08:40 AM   #203
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

The only game I play on my 360 is NHL 12, and that is maybe once every 10 days or so. My Wii has turned into a Netflix viewer, which is actually nice because it basically collected dust for a couple years prior.

I play far more games on my iPad now, and actually I've really started getting into solo board games which I am finding much more rewarding than most video games.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:29 AM   #204
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I have an Xbox 360 and PS3 and I rarely use them for gaming. I use my Xbox for Netflix streaming and the PS3 as a Blu Ray player. I think "Heavy Rain" on the PS3 is probably the only solo game I have ever really played on those consoles. I usually only play games on the console when I have a friend or friends over and we play some sports game or some other co-op type shooter - GRAW, Gears of War, Left 4 Dead, Rainbow Six, etc.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 11:43 AM   #205
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Kotaku has an article up that says their sources are saying the next Playstation will also have anti-used game measures built in. Essentially your PSN account will work like Steam. You activate a game on your PSN account and it's available to play. If you buy a used game the disk will allow you to play some sort of a trial and you'll have to log onto your PSN account and pay a fee to unlock the full game.

The same sources say that there won't be any attempts at having backward compatibility for the new console either.

The Next PlayStation is Called Orbis, Sources Say. Here are the Details.

That will be it for me with Sony consoles. (and if Microsoft follows suit, I will be 100% finished with new consoles.) I love MLB: The Show and other console games I cannot get on the PC, but I'm not going to purchase consoles for a game or two.

At some point enough is enough. I purchased Deus Ex for 18 bucks on a Steam sale. I'm not sure I can get it used for that cheap. If they go this route, I'm going to buy a superpowered PC for ny gaming purposes. Outside of a handfull of games, I am mostly a sim type player now anyway. (FM, OOTP, Gary's basketball games, etc.) or RPG. (which are always better on the PC)

There will be some games I really love that will come out and I won't be able to play them. You know what? Life will go on.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 11:55 AM   #206
bhlloy
Coordinator

That's a much more eloquent way of saying it but exactly how I feel. There's less than zero chance of me buying a new gen console with a feature like this unless they are going to make the price points on games at least half what it is now. And I'm guessing there's about a zero chance of that happening. The only reason I keep the 360 set up right now is as a DVD player and for games I get from gamefly. Sounds like a lot of us are basically in the same situation with console gaming
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 12:06 PM   #207
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Sounds like a lot of us are basically in the same situation with console gaming

I wonder, though... aren't we mostly of similar demographics? I would guess that the average FOFC-er is a male somewhere between 30-40. Perhaps we've all just outgrown consoles and video games to a degree? I would wonder if there are nearly as many 15-25 year-olds that would seriously consider skipping a console based solely on inclusion of a feature like this.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."

Last edited by Fidatelo : 03-29-2012 at 12:07 PM.
Old 03-29-2012, 12:07 PM   #208
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Considering I have about 1200 games and, at most, 100 of those were bought at full price- my choice would be made if this came to pass. Then again, Nintendo always goes to the beat of their own drum so who knows what they do

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 12:18 PM   #209
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
I wonder, though... aren't we mostly of similar demographics? I would guess that the average FOFC-er is a male somewhere between 30-40. Perhaps we've all just outgrown consoles and video games to a degree? I would wonder if there are nearly as many 15-25 year-olds that would seriously consider skipping a console based solely on inclusion of a feature like this.

To a degree maybe, but keep in mind I just bought a Vita. I have a 3ds. I have an IPad I use around 60% of the time for gaming.

I haven't outgrown video games and my income is that where if I wanted to, I could purchase a gaming system for one game. My problem is less a video game burnout issue than it is with the console companies simply not giving a damn anymore.

Now, have I matured a little? Of course. One game used to be more than enough to sell me on a new system. I wanted to play every big game, no matter what. That isn't the case anymore. If not getting a console causes me to miss a game or two, I'm not going to be crushed like I used to be.

At some point though, I have to look at how the game industry is treating its customers. That I've outgrown.

Last edited by TroyF : 03-29-2012 at 12:19 PM.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:17 PM   #210
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

I remember reading Kotaku saying this exact same thing a few months back. They've been the only ones to say it and I'm already not the biggest supporter of Kotaku. This is something Im going to reserve judgement on until there is something official.

That being said, IF that were the case, I'd be done with consoles as well. I, like you guys, don't play enough of my PS3 to have to fork out 60 bucks every time I want to play. Not to mention, with no competition from used game sales what are the chances that older games wouldn't have to drop price so quick?

I just don't see it happening, though. It just seems so evil and alienates a large segment of gamers. About the only thing I see happening is the lack of backward's compatibility.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 02:38 PM   #211
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
INot to mention, with no competition from used game sales what are the chances that older games wouldn't have to drop price so quick?

They were dropping long before used games became vogue. Older games price drop because of competition from NEW games, not used games. C'mon, EB sells the used game for like 10% off the new game, it's not THAT much price pressure.
Old 03-29-2012, 03:03 PM   #212
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
They were dropping long before used games became vogue. Older games price drop because of competition from NEW games, not used games. C'mon, EB sells the used game for like 10% off the new game, it's not THAT much price pressure.

Good point. I didn't really put too much thought into that one.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 03:18 PM   #213
Philliesfan980
Banned

I'm 31, and pretty much haven't played a console game in over a year. I'm having fun with text sims and quite frankly, I'm just too busy with work and such (I'm one of these guys who works 60-65 hours a week) that I just don't have the motivation to button mash when I get home.

I am considering into getting into tabletop games though. I feel it might be a good deviation for someone who is tied to technology all day.
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 03:32 PM   #214
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post

If you look at digital PC sales it's clear that not having to compete with used sales doesn't stop prices from dropping. There are plenty of games that drop to $20 to $30 less than a year after release. The fact is that a few months after release the number of people willing to pay full price for a game drops significantly, plus with DLC there's an incentive for publishers to have a lower base price so they can get more players so they have a larger audience who will buy additional content.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 04:38 PM   #215
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post

I dont' know. I still enjoy a good console game. Put in over 100 hours into Skyrim recently. Was also a huge Bad Company 2 fan.

One of my problems is that there isn't a lot of innovation in games these days. If one game becomes popular, they have to make 10 new versions of it. Almost every game is an FPS in some form. Even popular games like Red Dead Redemption weren't that exciting once I got past the novelty of it being in the Wild West. It was basically the same Grand Theft Auto game I had played years before.

I understand why companies do it. It's safe, they are guaranteeing sales. But I've played enough Call of Duty style games to last a lifetime. I'd like some innovation.
Old 03-29-2012, 05:16 PM   #216
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
If you look at digital PC sales it's clear that not having to compete with used sales doesn't stop prices from dropping. There are plenty of games that drop to $20 to $30 less than a year after release. The fact is that a few months after release the number of people willing to pay full price for a game drops significantly, plus with DLC there's an incentive for publishers to have a lower base price so they can get more players so they have a larger audience who will buy additional content.

Having children has taught me this better than anything else. Outside of a couple of games, I don't have time to get the latest and greatest games. As a result, I usually am buying console games a year or so after release at substantial savings. I also stock up on Steam games twice a year during the big sales. I think it easily saves me around $1000/year on gaming thanks being busy with the kids.

Now if the kids would just get off their 5 and 2 year old asses and work for their food.........
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 06:01 PM   #217
Kodos
Resident Alien

I'd have no problem sticking with my 360 and PS3 from here on out, if need be.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:01 PM   #218
Groundhog
Coordinator

The only games I've been playing lately have tended to be titles that are both PC and console, and I've opted for console each time, mainly because with NBA 2K12 I can download rosters, cyberfaces, jerseys, etc. and edit the rosters outside of the game.

NCAA football is really the only console-specific game I find myself interested in each year, but I didn't grab last year's version.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:56 PM   #219
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Having children has taught me this better than anything else. Outside of a couple of games, I don't have time to get the latest and greatest games. As a result, I usually am buying console games a year or so after release at substantial savings. I also stock up on Steam games twice a year during the big sales. I think it easily saves me around $1000/year on gaming thanks being busy with the kids.

That's where I'm at too. There are still so many games I have to get caught up on and it's nice to be able to pick them up for $20-$30. Skyrim is the last console game I've bought at launch and I don't have plans to buy any in the near future.
Old 03-29-2012, 07:28 PM   #220
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I'll ask this horrible question: Are most of us getting too old to be in their wheelhouse now anyways? "I'm old! I want games that are awesome like when I was growing up." I mean, if you can churn out another Call of Duty and get 11M sold, maybe it's best to aim for that audience. Sucks for us, but great if you're Activision.

SI

Old 03-29-2012, 08:26 PM   #221
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

It might be a different audience, although I'm not sure age is the factor. It's sort of like movies. They're going to make Transformers sequels because it's a safe bet as opposed to taking a chance on something original. With the money that goes into the games now, no one wants to take a chance. Just like Hollywood. Your innovation is coming in the indie scene both in movies and games. Some really cool stuff going on with the iPad.

Last edited by RainMaker : 03-29-2012 at 08:27 PM.
Old 03-30-2012, 06:01 AM   #222
Philliesfan980
Banned

I've never really gotten into tablet gaming, can someone give me some good games to try?
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 08:32 AM   #223
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliesfan980 View Post
I am considering into getting into tabletop games though. I feel it might be a good deviation for someone who is tied to technology all day.

This is what's been happening with me lately. I'm much more interested in board games and card games than sitting in front of a TV or computer screen in the evening after I've just done that all day at work. It's to the point where over the last 2-3 months I've been actively searching for good solo board/card games that I can play by myself in the evenings after the kids are in bed.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:39 PM   #224
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliesfan980 View Post
I've never really gotten into tablet gaming, can someone give me some good games to try?

I presume this is Tabletop?

If it's tablet, what kind?

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 04:20 PM   #225
aran
High School Varsity

I'm pretty excited about A Game of Dwarves. It's like if Dwarf Fortress were actually aiming to be fun!
aran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 12:39 PM   #226
mckerney
Coordinator

Legend of Grimrock review embargo is up today, first reviews has me looking forward to this even more.

Wot I Think: Legend Of Grimrock | Rock, Paper, Shotgun
Old 04-04-2012, 01:23 PM   #227
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aran View Post
I'm pretty excited about A Game of Dwarves. It's like if Dwarf Fortress were actually aiming to be fun!

I'm exited to see how this one turns out too. A game like Dwarf Fortress that is more accessible while retaining some of the depth could be really good. When I've tried Dwarf Fortress in the past the atrocious UI has kept me from getting into it.
Old 04-04-2012, 05:39 PM   #228
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I'm exited to see how this one turns out too. A game like Dwarf Fortress that is more accessible while retaining some of the depth could be really good. When I've tried Dwarf Fortress in the past the atrocious UI has kept me from getting into it.

Have you tried any of the Dwarf Fortress mods? It doesn't change the input functions of the game, but adding graphics that make sense helps with the visualizing of what is going on. The Lazy Newb pack is very nice.
Lazy Newb Pack [0.34.07] [V12]
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 05:44 PM   #229
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD View Post
Have you tried any of the Dwarf Fortress mods? It doesn't change the input functions of the game, but adding graphics that make sense helps with the visualizing of what is going on. The Lazy Newb pack is very nice.
Lazy Newb Pack [0.34.07] [V12]

I had tried some of the sprite packs, the lack of any decent mouse interface was my issue with it.
Old 04-04-2012, 06:10 PM   #230
Groundhog
Coordinator

I've always been more attracted to the idea of Dwarf Fortress than the actual game itself. Definitely excited about Paradox's effort.
Old 04-05-2012, 05:30 AM   #231
mckerney
Coordinator

The latest veteran game developer turning to Kickstarter to fund a project he's wanted to make is Jordan Weisman with a new Shadowrun turn based RPG. It has raised $360k of a $400k goal in under 48 hours.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:08 AM   #232
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
The latest veteran game developer turning to Kickstarter to fund a project he's wanted to make is Jordan Weisman with a new Shadowrun turn based RPG. It has raised $360k of a $400k goal in under 48 hours.

I think the answer is ANYONE but Microsoft is allowed to make a Shadowrun game from now on.
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 02:46 PM   #233
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/a...amp-kings.aspx

Civ 5: Gods & Kings expansion pack to be released June 19th.
Old 04-07-2012, 09:02 AM   #234
mckerney
Coordinator

Petition Attrition: Dark Souls Confirmed For PC | Rock, Paper, Shotgun

Dark Souls coming to PC in August with additional new bosses.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:22 PM   #235
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oW9sU...ayer_embedded#!

Cannot wait until May 1st!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 02:59 AM   #236
mckerney
Coordinator

Really enjoying Legend of Grimrock so far. It does a great job capturing the feel of an old school dungeon crawl, I'm liking going around with 3 humans and a Minotaur that punches everything. I'm still not too far in though the puzzles have been good so far, though with finding secret areas I'm not sure if I should feel smart for what I've found or dumb for missing a lot without knowing how many there are on the first few levels.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:50 AM   #237
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quite a bit of Nintendo out and coming out that makes me with KMart hadn't pulled the plug on their gaming department coupons. I could easily see a coupon train for me involving:
03.23 Kid Icarus
04.06 Xenoblade Chronicles (I feel dirty that I had to give money to GS)
06.18 Pokemon Conquest
06.19 The Last Story
06.26 Heroes of Ruin
07.03 Theatrhythm Final Fantasy
07.31 Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance
09.30 Pokemon: Black/White 2

Also, I'm quite excited about the recently announced Project X Zone but that won't be out until next year, I'm sure.

But that late June/early July gap is going to result in a big backlog.

SI

Old 04-14-2012, 01:37 PM   #238
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Really enjoying Legend of Grimrock so far. It does a great job capturing the feel of an old school dungeon crawl, I'm liking going around with 3 humans and a Minotaur that punches everything. I'm still not too far in though the puzzles have been good so far, though with finding secret areas I'm not sure if I should feel smart for what I've found or dumb for missing a lot without knowing how many there are on the first few levels.

For $13.49 I might pick this one up today.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 03:24 PM   #239
mckerney
Coordinator

In addition to seeing Grimrock at or near the top of the Steam best sellers chart the last few days and in the top 20 of games played it was great to see this.

Launch Week Update » Legend of Grimrock

Oh yeah, we’ve had many inquiries on how the sales have been doing and, well, we couldn’t be happier with them! We were sitting solidly as the #1 Steam top seller for a while but it seems like we have now been dethroned… So if you still know anyone who might be able to help us in our struggle to regain dominance, let them know ! Anyways, the development costs of the game have now been covered many times over so the future of the company seems pretty secure. So, everyone who has bought our game and supported us, you have our gratitude!

Awesome that a 4 man team can put out a game like this and see a profit almost immediately.
Old 04-14-2012, 06:46 PM   #240
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks to the Dungeon game going on in the WW Forum (run by Abe Sargent) and the recommendations here, I picked it up and am currently downloading.
PurdueBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:41 AM   #241
gstelmack
Pro Starter

I have one key for the Xbox360 Ghost Recon Future Soldier beta for anyone who is interested. First PM gets it.
Old 04-18-2012, 03:08 PM   #242
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Interesting read about used gaming/removal of used games from future consoles.

Dubious Quality: The Real Cost Of Bullshit
Old 04-18-2012, 03:46 PM   #243
Kodos
Resident Alien

Like I said earlier, if a console does not allow me to play used games, I won't buy the console. The current gen has good enough graphics that I can stick with it from here on out.

Madden used to be my favorite game, but I've only bought 2 versions of it this gen, and have played less than 15 games on either version. I am quickly getting to the point where I will find the best existing version of a game franchise and stick with it from here on out. That could enable a long-term dynasty which might be more rewarding anyhow.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:09 AM   #244
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Pre-purchase for Torchlight II is now available via Steam (and I've heard via Perfect World as well).
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 11:13 AM   #245
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Like I said earlier, if a console does not allow me to play used games, I won't buy the console. The current gen has good enough graphics that I can stick with it from here on out.

Madden used to be my favorite game, but I've only bought 2 versions of it this gen, and have played less than 15 games on either version. I am quickly getting to the point where I will find the best existing version of a game franchise and stick with it from here on out. That could enable a long-term dynasty which might be more rewarding anyhow.

But what happens when new games stop being made for current gen. You can stick it out for a bit, but this is the way things will be. Hell we were headed for pure digital distribution anyways, the end result would be the same even without these controversial measures.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 08:32 PM   #246
Mota
College Benchwarmer

I don't think we really have a choice. Games that were $59.99 a few years ago are still $59.99 but you're now getting 1/2 a game. You're really looking at $79.99 - $99.99 for a game if you want the complete experience which I'm guessing quite a few people do.

As this generation rolls on, I've found myself playing less 360/PS3 and more PC. My experience with Steam has been excellent, and I'm getting more gameplay out of my sub $10 games than I have been with the super high budget / super low customer focus console games. There's still some great games coming out on consoles, but I definitely feel a shift in the love/greed ratio these days.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 12:12 AM   #247
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
As this generation rolls on, I've found myself playing less 360/PS3 and more PC. My experience with Steam has been excellent, and I'm getting more gameplay out of my sub $10 games than I have been with the super high budget / super low customer focus console games. There's still some great games coming out on consoles, but I definitely feel a shift in the love/greed ratio these days.

This. I still play a few PS3/Vita games, but don't buy nearly as many as I used to. Steam is my main platform.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:01 AM   #248
mckerney
Coordinator

The demo for Warlock: Master of the Arcane (Steam Install) is worth checking out. A spiritual successor to Master of Magic in the style of Civ V. Releases in about a week for $19.99.

Hands On – Warlock: Master Of The Arcane | Rock, Paper, Shotgun

Old 05-09-2012, 09:03 AM   #249
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

BioShock Infinite Delayed Until February 2013 to Make the Game ‘Even Better’ | Techland | TIME.com
Old 05-09-2012, 12:47 PM   #250
oykib
College Starter

I guess I'm not the only one that read that as, "We just realized that no matter how good our game is, we'll be buried by Assasin's Creed 3, Halo 4 and, of course, COD Black Ops 2."
oykib is offline   Reply With Quote