Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-01-2011, 07:19 AM   #201
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I couldn't watch this game, from the 2nd quarter on. What shit football. And when someone did make a play, they were called for an unnecessary roughness penalty.

Of course, according to our World Series game standards, this one should be on NFL Network's "Instant Classic" series tonight, right?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 09:04 AM   #202
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I wonder why they didn't declare it Pittsburgh ball on the spot where Troy touched it. Seems like a more correct call than a safety anyways.

I thought that they should have awarded New England a touchback. You can't give the penalty retroactive, but you can surely decide no safety since the safety was caused by the illegal play.

Not that it mattered one whit, New England wasn't going 80 yards in one play.
Old 11-01-2011, 10:08 AM   #203
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
I thought that they should have awarded New England a touchback. You can't give the penalty retroactive, but you can surely decide no safety since the safety was caused by the illegal play.

yeah, I agree with this or the illegal touching penalty enforced at, say, the 15 yard line. I forgot that the steelers guy never recovered in bounds.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 10:16 AM   #204
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletsponge View Post
now i see why SD fans are atheists.

It's an eye opener watching this team isn't it? They went from a hard nosed team to a passive, always looking woefully unprepared team when Turner took over. And it only gets better...the Chargers play the Packers next week.

It's nice to see the Norv Turner curse still working...every team he has been the head coach of, their record has gotten worse and worse each (pretty much each year) year until he is finally fired.

Just a month and about 2 weeks from now and it will be a year since the Chargers have beaten a team with a winning record.

Well, I was off on the score, but, right on the amount the Chargers would lose by.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 03:10 PM   #205
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:

Actually according to Perreira or whatever his name is, they can actually call penalties after a review of a play. or reverse penalties that were called. Tehre are limitations though. Things like Pass Interferance aren't reviewable because they are judgement calls.

This one should have been Pats ball at the 20 because the Steelers never gained possession. I think the illegal touching penalty only mattered if the Steelers had actually recovered the ball.

And if there were any team that I thought COULD go 80 yards on the last play of the game, I'd make my bet on the Pats because god knows their luck IS that good.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 03:32 PM   #206
MacroGuru
Coordinator

When Rivers fumbled the ball...I laughed my ass off....only because I pictured JediKooter throwing something through his T.V. and Lorena going all Hulk on hers...
Old 11-01-2011, 03:37 PM   #207
Rizon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post
When Rivers fumbled the ball...I laughed my ass off....only because I pictured JediKooter throwing something through his T.V. and Lorena going all Hulk on hers...

Yeah, how sad* is it that when I saw that fumble I thought "I wonder how JediKooter is reacting ...."

* too much time on the interweb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 03:42 PM   #208
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:

Play by Play in the JK house last night:
JK: "Hey now, don't score too fast. Your prevent defense couldn't stop molasses."
JK: "Cool. Definitely in field goal range, but, watch, something is going to happen where once again, they snatch defeat out of the jaws of victory." I was actually thinking it would be a blocked field goal that would be taken back for a touchdown.
JK: "I need a beer."
JK gets beer...get back to my tv...
JK: "WTF do you mean it's Chiefs ball and 1st down!?!?!?!?!? How'd they get the ball? There's no way Norv has the balls to throw the ball down there."
JK sees the replay...
JK turns the channel to Hoarders.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
Old 11-01-2011, 03:52 PM   #209
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Regarding the play where Polamalu punched the ball through the back of the end zone, the only reasonable outcome I can see besides a safety is a 10-yard penalty against the Steelers, but I'm not a rules expert. These are my thoughts:

1) The penalty would be an illegal bat for pushing the ball toward the opponent's goal line. That's a 10-yard penalty.
2) Maybe this is just semantics for the sake of this discussion, but illegal touching is a completely different penalty, so it wouldn't be that. Off the top of my head, I don't think there's such a thing as illegal touching against the defense.
3) I don't think you can call a touchback there because the Steelers never gained possession of the ball. The Steelers didn't fumble the ball through the back of the end zone. Technically, the Patriots did. That's why the safety was called in the first place.
4) I can't see them calling a penalty on Polamalu through review because that's as much a judgment call as pass interference or holding would be. Sure, it's pretty obvious that he punched the ball on purpose, but they didn't call it that way on the field, and it doesn't make sense for them to assess his intent through an instant replay. On the field, through the officials' judgment, it must have looked like an accident. They couldn't possibly give him a penalty afterwards.

To me, the only possible calls on the field could have been an illegal bat or a safety. They didn't see the illegal bat, so they went with the only call they could. The Patriots fumbled the ball through the back of the end zone, so it's a safety. I'm not sure if Mike Pereira said that they could've called an illegal bat through review, and he's the expert, but that would go against the logic in my head. To me, you could use a review to assess/reverse an illegal touching penalty (going out of bounds, coming back in, and being the first to touch the ball), 12 men on the field, and illegal forward pass. I can't really see it possibly changing any other type of penalty call.
Old 11-01-2011, 09:49 PM   #210
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

I stopped watching when KC ran through the gigantic hole the Chargers D left for the RB. He was stopped at the 1 yard line and I said, screw it, I ain't watching anymore. I can't handle it man... I can't. I do enjoy listening to San Diego Sports Radio after every loss though... it's very entertaining.
Dodgerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 09:23 AM   #211
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgerchick View Post
I stopped watching when KC ran through the gigantic hole the Chargers D left for the RB. He was stopped at the 1 yard line and I said, screw it, I ain't watching anymore. I can't handle it man... I can't. I do enjoy listening to San Diego Sports Radio after every loss though... it's very entertaining.

The good old days of Lee "Hacksaw" Hamilton......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 10:19 AM   #212
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtCrazy View Post
Welcome to the Peyton Manning era in Indy! As someone that sat through some over-hyped Colts' defenses, even I must say I'm shocked they haven't done more in New England to give Brady a good defense to help them out. Or a running game for that matter.

I think Belichick overrelies on the "system" too much and doesn't emphasize that athletic talent and continuity is important. Either they're drafting poor talent (like the Colts recently) or they aren't patient or good enough with young player development. Teams like the Steelers and Ravens seem to be able to plug and play a lot of lesser known players despite drafting late in the rounds. Belichick's "system" really stopped producing against elite teams right around the time the talent started dropping off due to retirements / aging of the core team members that won all the hardware.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 10:39 AM   #213
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo View Post
I think Belichick overrelies on the "system" too much and doesn't emphasize that athletic talent and continuity is important. Either they're drafting poor talent (like the Colts recently) or they aren't patient or good enough with young player development. Teams like the Steelers and Ravens seem to be able to plug and play a lot of lesser known players despite drafting late in the rounds. Belichick's "system" really stopped producing against elite teams right around the time the talent started dropping off due to retirements / aging of the core team members that won all the hardware.

I also think he's suffering from an assistant drain. Losing Crennel and Weiss hurt some, but then the guys he had groomed to replace them left, and so he's constantly training up new assistants. He's lost Pioli and other personnel guys as well. I think the early magic was the entire staff and player set, and much of both is gone and taken the magic away.
Old 11-02-2011, 03:07 PM   #214
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post

He's bleeping brilliant!!
Old 11-02-2011, 03:08 PM   #215
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:

Hacksaw and Billy Ray Smith!!

Old 11-02-2011, 03:08 PM   #216
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

dola,

Lee "Hacksaw" Hamilton One Man's Opinion
Old 11-02-2011, 03:11 PM   #217
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post

Where's the love for Scott Kaplan? The Cannons? Actually, I can't stand the Cannons... or I should say Steve Hartman.
Old 11-02-2011, 03:11 PM   #218
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Hmmm, I thought he died a while back. Clearly I was mistaken.

Quote:
Old 11-02-2011, 03:18 PM   #219
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Hmmm, I thought he died a while back. Clearly I was mistaken.

Nope, he's still kicking. Last I heard he went to Seattle, unless I'm confusing him with someone else.

Old 11-02-2011, 03:27 PM   #220
heybrad
Norm!!!

Quote:

RANCHO PENASQUITOS... PICK UP THE PHONE! GIVE US A CALL!
heybrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 03:38 PM   #221
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by heybrad View Post
RANCHO PENASQUITOS... PICK UP THE PHONE! GIVE US A CALL!

Show us your lightning bolt!!!!

Quote:
Old 11-02-2011, 06:03 PM   #222
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

i run hot and cold on belichik but i love the way he treats the media like the cunts they are.

'do you have any comment on-'
'NOPE'

getting-an-answer-out-of-bill-belichick-is-fucking-frustrating
NorvTurnerOverdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 06:37 PM   #223
flounder
High School Varsity

The Patriots had an abysmal stretch in the draft for a while. I think they only have 3 players left from their 2006-2008 drafts and one of those is their kicker.
flounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 06:49 PM   #224
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

oh i agree. his obsession with 'value' has created a team of homogenous 3rd rounders. but his his interpersonal skills get an A++

NorvTurnerOverdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 08:21 PM   #225
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Nope, he's still kicking. Last I heard he went to Seattle, unless I'm confusing him with someone else.

I listen to his Best 15 minutes everyday. Thumbs up

Old 11-03-2011, 09:22 AM   #226
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:

Which one is he? I'm confused.....

Quote:
Old 11-03-2011, 09:56 AM   #227
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Exactly who the hell is this Hacksaw dude you're all talking about?

(cue some smartass lmgtfy link or something, I guess)
Old 11-03-2011, 10:04 AM   #228
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Hah, exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
Exactly who the hell is this Hacksaw dude you're all talking about?

(cue some smartass lmgtfy link or something, I guess)

He's won awards, has a national reputation, and has built a sports talk empire. He's bleeping brilliant, has the Best 15 minutes in radio, and the ladies love him... and his 'stache.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:07 AM   #229
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Hacksaw is still, to me, the best announcer the Chargers ever had. He made a low scoring game sound sound it was an epic defensive battle. When watching the game, we would often turn down the volume and listen to the radio broadcast.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:08 AM   #230
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antmeister View Post
Hacksaw is still, to me, the best announcer the Chargers ever had. He made a low scoring game sound sound it was an epic defensive battle. When watching the game, we would often turn down the volume and listen to the radio broadcast.

ahh the good ol' days
Old 11-03-2011, 10:38 AM   #231
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

welp sucks to be me
Old 11-03-2011, 10:44 AM   #232
Suicane75
Coordinator

Plumpy Goobers you keep your head high. That's where the sunshine comes from.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 10:45 AM   #233
Suicane75
Coordinator

Unless it's cloudy, then you're just straining your neck. And go see a Gynopractor for that neck.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 11:25 AM   #234
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:

He's the one with the facial hair.

Old 11-03-2011, 11:29 AM   #235
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:

San Diego has the two best 'Saws' in the business. There's Lee 'Hacksaw' Hamilton and of course, Cookie 'Chainsaw' Randolph...oh my!!!

Old 11-03-2011, 07:26 PM   #236
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Yes indeed!
Old 11-03-2011, 07:30 PM   #237
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorvTurnerOverdrive View Post
oh i agree. his obsession with 'value' has created a team of homogenous 3rd rounders. but his his interpersonal skills get an A++

LOL....that thing has been on my DVR forever I need to watch it.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 09:36 PM   #238
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
I also think he's suffering from an assistant drain. Losing Crennel and Weiss hurt some, but then the guys he had groomed to replace them left, and so he's constantly training up new assistants. He's lost Pioli and other personnel guys as well. I think the early magic was the entire staff and player set, and much of both is gone and taken the magic away.

That's a good point too. He likes to promote from within and he's lost a lot of talent over the years. Maybe he should hire a Ryan.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 09:51 PM   #239
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorvTurnerOverdrive View Post
i run hot and cold on belichik but i love the way he treats the media like the cunts they are.

'do you have any comment on-'
'NOPE'

getting-an-answer-out-of-bill-belichick-is-fucking-frustrating

But without the media the NFL isn't as popular and if the NFL isn't as popular Belichick doesn't make the same kind of cash. My biggest problem with Belichick is that he thinks he's above all the rules. He's a hell of a coach, but he's also an egotistical bully.