Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-05-2009, 07:22 PM   #201
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Alabama is in the title game no matter what.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 07:24 PM   #202
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

MF butterfingered receivers
Old 12-05-2009, 07:25 PM   #203
Radii
Head Coach

cannot believe jones dropped that, UGH. Good kick though, 7-3 clemson
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 07:31 PM   #204
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
Wait, so is the conventional wisdom that if some how the Bo Pellinis knock off Texas, that Cincy will jump TCU to get into the title game?

If that's now the CW it's news to me.

Quote:
And if Texas does win, will that mean a BCS game with Cincy and TCU?

Do you mean games for both of them? In that case yes.
If you mean against each other, I don't think I've heard any version that didn't have one of them heading to the Orange vs the ACC champ.
Old 12-05-2009, 07:38 PM   #205
RendeR
Coordinator

Yeah I'm not sure there's a scenario where Cincy would play TCU. They'll both get BCS games but certainly not against one another.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 07:38 PM   #206
RainMaker
General Manager

I'd rather not see TCU in the Orange Bowl. They are the 2nd best team in the country and I'd rather see them go up against someone like Florida.

Is there a rule about playing the same team you played in the season? If Clemson wins, TCU has already beaten them. Not a big fan of rematches.

Last edited by RainMaker : 12-05-2009 at 07:39 PM.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 07:43 PM   #207
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I'd rather not see TCU in the Orange Bowl. They are the 2nd best team in the country and I'd rather see them go up against someone like Florida.

Is there a rule about playing the same team you played in the season? If Clemson wins, TCU has already beaten them. Not a big fan of rematches.

Nope. The Orange got stuck with a FSU-Miami rematch earlier in the decade because they had last pick.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 07:43 PM   #208
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
Why is wanting him for your program your counter argument to him crying? He is a man. You learn when you lose in checkers at age 4 that isn't neccessary to cry every time you lose and if you really do have to cry to do it in private.

ummm, what?

I never equated the two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon View Post
I'm lucky becuase my g/f has become just as big a college football fan as I am, maybe more (ever since she had fun at the Army-Rutgers game a few years ago and the USF-Rutgers game in Tampa last year). When Cincinnati played West Virginia, she cancelled some other plans so we could watch it. I was at the Rutgers game today while she was in Flordia and she kept texting me how she won't miss such a big game again since she had a hard time finding it on XM radio (she has use/lose time and swears she won't use it around a big Rutgers home game again). She also felt the need to text me updates about the Pitt-Cincinnati game and reminded me that we want Nebraska to win tonite because of the Big East. I'm very lucky.

I am actually pretty lucky. She is a big Giants fan and in general very tolerable. It's just that she is pregnant and a little cranky these days.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 07:44 PM   #209
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Let's just assume Texas wins.

Sugar and the Fiesta get the first two picks since they lose their auto bids to the BCS title game.

Rose has Oregon vs Ohio State
Orange gets the ACC winner.

Sugar will most likely take Florida. Fiesta takes TCU.

Hold on i need another beer...be back for more.
Old 12-05-2009, 07:44 PM   #210
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
I am probably guilty of being one who cans on athletes for the "other stuff". I love Kurt Warner, he is a great QB and to thid day a great man in the community here in St. Louis. That doesn't mean that he has to preach about God for something as trivial as sports. I am pretty sure the truly devoted are on missions in third world countires to save people who are dying and hoping that God comes with them instead of floating on the 50 yard line at the Superdome helping you win over the Titans because Steve McNair is a sinner.

Perhaps you should read more about Tebow.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 07:45 PM   #211
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
Alabama is in the title game no matter what.

Thanks for the news Dan Rather
Old 12-05-2009, 07:46 PM   #212
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Nebraska's Defense looking decent so far. Force about 10 more turnovers and they might win this one.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 07:46 PM   #213
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

After that it goes...

Orange, Fiesta, Sugar.
Old 12-05-2009, 07:47 PM   #214
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Why is wanting him for your program your counter argument to him crying? He is a man. You learn when you lose in checkers at age 4 that isn't neccessary to cry every time you lose and if you really do have to cry to do it in private.

I think you strongly underestimate how many people cry when they realize the end is there. Seniors in high school with their last games. Seniors in college with their last games. In Tebow's case, I think he realizes he is never going to be a player in the NFL like he is in college and he realizes this is the end of football for him. I can all but guarantee half of a team that loses a super bowl cries unless they've won one before.
Old 12-05-2009, 07:47 PM   #215
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Thanks for the news Dan Rather

Unlike Dan Rather I speak the truth
Old 12-05-2009, 07:47 PM   #216
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

dola- The fact that Washington didn't finish winnable games against Notre Dame and UCLA and totally shit the bed against Arizona St is killing me. We look great right now and should be headed for a bowl. I know it is a long shot but I really hope Jake comes back.
Old 12-05-2009, 07:47 PM   #217
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
Unlike Dan Rather I speak the truth

Old 12-05-2009, 07:49 PM   #218
tarcone
Coordinator

GO NEBRASKA

Last edited by tarcone : 12-05-2009 at 07:49 PM.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 07:50 PM   #219
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Looked at the bowl projections at SI and ESPN after I posted and got it now.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 07:50 PM   #220
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
GO NEBRASKA

If you want Iowa to go to a BCS game, you don't want Nebraska winning.
Old 12-05-2009, 07:52 PM   #221
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
I think you strongly underestimate how many people cry when they realize the end is there. Seniors in high school with their last games. Seniors in college with their last games. In Tebow's case, I think he realizes he is never going to be a player in the NFL like he is in college and he realizes this is the end of football for him. I can all but guarantee half of a team that loses a super bowl cries unless they've won one before.

I have seen more than a few draft projections that have him in the top 20. He could be an NFL starter immedaitely in some of them. What exactly is the end here?
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 07:52 PM   #222
tarcone
Coordinator

I prefer a TCU/Alabama Championship game to Iowa in the Fiesta
Old 12-05-2009, 07:55 PM   #223
Swaggs
Coordinator

What's the highest Clemson could move up if they win this game?

It would be strange to have an unranked team in the BCS.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 07:57 PM   #224
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
What's the highest Clemson could move up if they win this game? It would be strange to have an unranked team in the BCS.

Well they're already 25th in the AP poll so that one would be covered.
I would think they become the obvious choice to replace Houston in the USA Today poll.
Old 12-05-2009, 07:58 PM   #225
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

With Claytor leaving (at least for a play), I believe that leaves GT down to one offensive tackle.
Old 12-05-2009, 07:59 PM   #226
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
What's the highest Clemson could move up if they win this game?

It would be strange to have an unranked team in the BCS.

But isn't this what playoff system people love? George Mason in the final four. The 15 seeds winning, the 16 seeds playing close. Upsets!!! But in college football we have to have the best teams in the final. Doesn't jibe with why they want a playoff at all.

(Not saying this is your agument either, just saying I don't understand the BCS opponents complaining about play-in games. The NCAA tournament has a few of those every year.)
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 08:03 PM   #227
bronconick
College Starter

This is going to be one of those games where the Nebraska defense kicks around the offense all the long way back up to Lincoln for hanging them out to dry one too many times.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 08:03 PM   #228
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
I have seen more than a few draft projections that have him in the top 20. He could be an NFL starter immedaitely in some of them. What exactly is the end here?

Please show me where the projections you're reading are. I have yet to see him in the first two rounds.
Old 12-05-2009, 08:04 PM   #229
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Sterling performance by the OL so far, and I don't think any of those penalties were on the emergency OT were they?

Meanwhile Blair hitting long FG's? Can Armageddon be far away?
Old 12-05-2009, 08:06 PM   #230
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Please show me where the projections you're reading are. I have yet to see him in the first two rounds.

Well it took me just under a minute with Google. No idea who/what this projection comes from or how credible it is but ...
Draft Countdown - 2010 NFL Mock Draft

edit to add:
And another
http://www.sportsagentblog.com/2009/...fl-mock-draft/

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 12-05-2009 at 08:08 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 08:07 PM   #231
tarcone
Coordinator

Would TCU really be denied the chanpionship game? Or Cinci? Or Boise St.?
Old 12-05-2009, 08:08 PM   #232
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Well it took me just under a minute with Google. No idea who/what this projection comes from or how credible it is but ...
Draft Countdown - 2010 NFL Mock Draft

Yeah...I guess I should say someone who is generally considered an NFL draft guy.
Old 12-05-2009, 08:12 PM   #233
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yeah...I guess I should say someone who is generally considered an NFL draft guy.

Is The Sporting News mainstream enough for you?
They had him #9 overall as of October (only available to War Room subscribers apparently, so I can't see the latest one)

edit to add: I found a newer one. It has him out of the first round but notes that the Jaguars owner wants Tebow with their 1st pick
http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/arti...ling-secondary

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 12-05-2009 at 08:13 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 08:12 PM   #234
tarcone
Coordinator

But its on the interwebs
Old 12-05-2009, 08:16 PM   #235
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
But isn't this what playoff system people love? George Mason in the final four. The 15 seeds winning, the 16 seeds playing close. Upsets!!! But in college football we have to have the best teams in the final. Doesn't jibe with why they want a playoff at all.

(Not saying this is your agument either, just saying I don't understand the BCS opponents complaining about play-in games. The NCAA tournament has a few of those every year.)
I think it's silly to compare George Mason to Clemson. Clemson is still a major program that has been ranked a good portion of the year and is one of the best teams in a major conference.

And in a playoff, the best teams usually end up in the end. You rarely have teams like George Mason in a Final Four. Football also has much less major upsets. In FCS, D2, and D3, the best teams are almost always in late rounds. The difference being that those teams played their way in vs had some reporters guess as to whether they were good enough.
Old 12-05-2009, 08:16 PM   #236
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

LOL, my son just turned and said (in his best announcer voice) "it's almost time to throw the football in the can during the most entertaining halftime show in sports"

Think Dr. Pepper has gotten some mileage out of those things?
Old 12-05-2009, 08:18 PM   #237
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Is The Sporting News mainstream enough for you?
They had him #9 overall as of October (only available to War Room subscribers apparently, so I can't see the latest one)

edit to add: I found a newer one. It has him out of the first round but notes that the Jaguars owner wants Tebow with their 1st pick
Mock draft: Mays the solution for Giants' struggling secondary? - Russ Lande, War Room scouts - NFL - Sporting News
I think he'll get drafted but it'll just be a publicity stunt. He'll never be a starting NFL QB.
Old 12-05-2009, 08:19 PM   #238
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I think he'll get drafted but it'll just be a publicity stunt. He'll never be a starting NFL QB.

{shrug} Lots of great college QB's aren't.

But I'd sure rather have him on my sideline in 2010 as a lot of backups, much less clipboard guys.
Old 12-05-2009, 08:21 PM   #239
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
dola- The fact that Washington didn't finish winnable games against Notre Dame and UCLA and totally shit the bed against Arizona St is killing me. We look great right now and should be headed for a bowl. I know it is a long shot but I really hope Jake comes back.

^^^^^^
HeavyReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 08:23 PM   #240
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

WTF with the drops?
Old 12-05-2009, 08:25 PM   #241
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
LOL, my son just turned and said (in his best announcer voice) "it's almost time to throw the football in the can during the most entertaining halftime show in sports"

Think Dr. Pepper has gotten some mileage out of those things?

I don't know but I loved watching the punk from the SEC title game end up losing to a girl. Classic.
Old 12-05-2009, 08:30 PM   #242
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
I don't know but I loved watching the punk from the SEC title game end up losing to a girl. Classic.

Me too
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 08:30 PM   #243
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

It was a sign of things to come...since the guy was a Gator fan.
Old 12-05-2009, 08:31 PM   #244
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon View Post
Shitty weather has been par for the course for Rutgers homes games this year. Not counting the FIU game (since I didn't go), every Rutgers home game has had bad weather or bad weather forecast.

But it was entertaining watching the 50-50 draw being done three times b/c some moron decided not to bother with 23K.

BTW, where were you sitting? Did you get drenched? Fortunately I was dry as a bone under the cover in section 109. It was disappointing watching half the stadium leave.

Haha, loved that two people lost out on $23+ grand because they left. Serves them right.

I sit in section 130, which started as the young alumni section and has largely remained that but is now open to everyone. The seats are pretty good overall, and it's nice to be right next to the big student section now...but good lord do they suck with the weather sometimes. For the Fresno State game last year, when it was about 95 degrees, we also had the benefit of the blazing sun being on us from kickoff until about halfway through the 4th quarter. And today, the snow/rain was blowing right into us the whole time (probably another reason you stayed dry across the way).
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 08:31 PM   #245
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Random trivia time -- Scott Blair has played in 25 games at GT. He's hit three FG's in a game only twice: against Clemson earlier this year & tonight.
Old 12-05-2009, 08:33 PM   #246
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
{shrug} Lots of great college QB's aren't.

But I'd sure rather have him on my sideline in 2010 as a lot of backups, much less clipboard guys.

A lot of mocks have him picked by the Jags, which wouldn't be a crazy pick at all given their location and need to draw fans.
Old 12-05-2009, 08:36 PM   #247
RainMaker
General Manager

I know their defense is good, but how the hell did Nebraska get in this game? I know the Big 12 sucks and it's a home game for Texas, but they aren't going to put up 100 yards.
Old 12-05-2009, 08:49 PM   #248
Cuckoo
College Starter

Quote:
I know their defense is good, but how the hell did Nebraska get in this game? I know the Big 12 sucks and it's a home game for Texas, but they aren't going to put up 100 yards.

Nebraska's offense is absolutely horrible. That's not to say Texas' defense isn't good; it is. But if Nebraska even had a decent offense, this could be a game. Unfortunately, it won't be. My guess is Texas wins by 2 TDs at least.
Old 12-05-2009, 08:55 PM   #249
RainMaker
General Manager

Just amazes me how bad the Big 12 is. Crazy how people will be voting Texas over Cincinnati when Texas will end up playing one ranked team all season.
Old 12-05-2009, 08:58 PM   #250
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

I dunno..

I could definitely see some votes get taken away from Texas and given to the other undefeated teams. Will be interesting to see how they do vote if Nebraska somehow keeps it close to the end.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote