Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-04-2009, 02:52 PM   #201
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Bill Young's a good coordinator.

It's my guess you're not going to hear about the bigger issues because of the resignation. I would guess that's one part of the agreement with Mangino. Whitlock's article yesterday talked about some of the issues that staffers had with Mangino. But there were definitely other issues. Mangino is just not a nice guy...something that most of us have known for a while. It's fine to act that way when you're winning, but he pretty much sealed his fate with that kind of attitude once he had a few losses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
And that's what I was wondering- what stories are out there that I don't know about. The national picture doesn't make sense and that's all I can get (save for a few message board rumors and local drivel like the ljworld).

Defense has never been the same since Bill Young left

SI
the_meanstrosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 04:14 PM   #202
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Just for you dawgfan...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
If Harbaugh is going to leave Stanford, he's very likely going to have more appealing options than Kansas.
Old 12-04-2009, 05:30 PM   #203
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
Vindicated
How is that vindicated? Like I said, there has been nothing concrete in print anywhere saying that ND is paying $18 million or did not have a buyout clause in place. Yes, in the unlikely event it's true that's retarded on ND's part, but there's no indication it is other than the myriad rumors that pop up regarding anything ND does. And if those were reliable we'd have 6 head coaches by now.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 06:35 PM   #204
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

I would be moderately surprised if Harbaugh leaves Stanford. I would be very surprised if he leaves Stanford for Kansas. Yes, the pay might be better and his wife has ties there, but from a prestige standpoint, it's a lateral move at best, if not a step back.

Michigan and Notre Dame would be the most likely destinations if he leaves for another college job IMO.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 06:37 PM   #205
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_meanstrosity View Post
Just for you dawgfan...

If Harbaugh leaves Stanford for Kansas it'll confirm rumors he loves the sauce.

Nothing against Kansas but he has no ties to that area. I don't see how he'd recruit there at all.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 06:38 PM   #206
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
I would be moderately surprised if Harbaugh leaves Stanford. I would be very surprised if he leaves Stanford for Kansas. Yes, the pay might be better and his wife has ties there, but from a prestige standpoint, it's a lateral move at best, if not a step back.

Michigan and Notre Dame would be the most likely destinations if he leaves for another college job IMO.

Honestly, I think if he doesn't get a job this year, he'll see what happens with Michigan next year.

Even if he did come here should RR be fired, I worry he is an NFL guy. I have heard that in the past about him but who knows.
Old 12-04-2009, 06:54 PM   #207
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Just messing with you dawgfan. I saw that photo floating around and knew I had to post it for you, lol. His wife and her family are KU fans hence the sweatshirt.

You're correct that the Kansas job isn't a step up in the football hierarchy. That doesn't mean a coach like Harbaugh won't look at it if perhaps he's unhappy with some thing at Stanford. Kansas is a program on the rise though, but the tough thing is they'll always be competing against Oklahoma and Texas which makes it an extremely steep rise given the lack of in-state talent in the state.

I'm confident that Kansas will get a good coach. The program may not be in the upper tier of college football jobs, but it's a good job none the less with good facilities and good leadership. Hopefully Kansas can lure one of the quality young coaches to Lawrence and continue what Mangino started...minus the attitude.

Quote:

Old 12-04-2009, 06:56 PM   #208
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

I had heard there might be hard feelings between Harbaugh and the Michigan athletic department after some comments he made claiming Michigan would "slip" academic risk athletes into the program. Any truth to that or is that just another rumor flying around?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Honestly, I think if he doesn't get a job this year, he'll see what happens with Michigan next year.

Even if he did come here should RR be fired, I worry he is an NFL guy. I have heard that in the past about him but who knows.
Old 12-04-2009, 07:00 PM   #209
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
I had heard there might be hard feelings between Harbaugh and the Michigan athletic department after some comments he made claiming Michigan would "slip" academic risk athletes into the program. Any truth to that or is that just another rumor flying around?

There is truth most definitely but we're hiring a new AD in the next few months, and if it ends up being the current favorite to get the job (Dave Brandon, CEO of Domino's) then it won't matter because he played under Bo, is a Bo guy and wants another Bo guy to be the head coach.

If RR does well next year it won't matter, but if he fails he will be gone and Michigan will be looking for a new coach.

Now that said if Brandon doesn't take over, who knows what happens.
Old 12-04-2009, 07:14 PM   #210
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Honestly I think Kansas would be best served to get Sumler if possible, otherwise I think Fulmer is a solid choice. Use those southern ties to bring in some FL, LA, GA, MS and AL type kids and get a couple guys with ties to TX and you're set.
Old 12-04-2009, 07:27 PM   #211
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Fulmer scares me just because of all the Tennessee fans I've chatted with who claimed it was more his assistants than him at Tennessee.

Sumlin worries me simply because he inherited a pretty good program from Briles and I don't know Houston well enough to know how much of an impact he had. He definitely had a great squad this year. I just don't know how much was Briles vs Sumlin.

Same goes for Fedora. He has recruited well at Southern Miss, but I'm not sure how his coaching is. I've seen Southern Miss play and they definitely have some athletes especially on the offensive side of the ball. I'm just not sure of his coaching abilities.

If I had the money to throw at a non-BCS coach right now it would be Gary Patterson at TCU. Ties to the state of Kansas, recruits Texas well, and the guy knows defense. I don't see him leaving TCU for Kansas at this point, but I hope for it as unlikely as it is to happen, lol.

The other pipe dream is Tuberville, but I don't see him leaving the SEC for Kansas.

Quote:
Honestly I think Kansas would be best served to get Sumler if possible, otherwise I think Fulmer is a solid choice. Use those southern ties to bring in some FL, LA, GA, MS and AL type kids and get a couple guys with ties to TX and you're set.
Old 12-04-2009, 08:06 PM   #212
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

I'm not sure Fullmer is the best option either. Tuberville is intriguing - given his age, he probably can't afford to wait around too many more years before jumping back in the game if that's his intention, so that works in the favor of Kansas.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 11:32 PM   #213
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Has the name Terry Bowden been heard at all in the Kansas area? I think that is a name that will get some attention before this job is filled.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 11:52 PM   #214
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Bowden has only been mentioned as one of the possibilities from fans. The media has listed Harbaugh, Sumlin, Fedora, Gill, Charlie Strong, and Fulmer. Bowden is a name I remember from when Mangino was first hired. I think the only two serious names being looked at then were Mangino and Dennis Franchione. Franchione obviously ended up staying at Alabama before heading to Texas A&M the following year. The rumor has it that Franchione was the favorite, but he was wanting to see whether Notre Dame was offering. As a Kansas fan I always wondered why we didn't gauge Bowden's interest then. It was a different AD and the facilities were much worse off then so he may not have even listened at that time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
Has the name Terry Bowden been heard at all in the Kansas area? I think that is a name that will get some attention before this job is filled.
Old 12-05-2009, 01:07 AM   #215
Swaggs
Coordinator

I think Terry Bowden would take just about any BCS head coaching position if it were offered to him. I would still love to know what he did at Auburn to get blackballed so badly. The guy took over an Auburn program that was on probation, w/ reduced scholarships, and went 47-17 (30-14 in the SEC), started out 1-5 during his sixth season (coming off a 10-3/6-2 season), resigned and sat out for over 10-seasons. He's at North Alabama now w/ an 11-2 ranking and isn't even getting mentioned at places like Memphis, Louisville, or Kansas. It is amazing that whatever he did has been held under wraps for so long.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 05:25 PM   #216
Galaxy
Coordinator

Local media says UB head coach Turner Gill is interviewing for the Kansas job. His daughter is currently a KU student and Gill used to play in the Big 12 with Nebraska, so I'm sure he's very interested.

Last edited by Galaxy : 12-05-2009 at 05:26 PM.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 05:38 PM   #217
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynchjm24 View Post
Buffalo didn't beat a team that even finished .500 this year. Turner Gill's best win this year is either 5-7 Kent State or 4-8 UTEP.

New to this thread, but Buffalo had a ton of new players coming in. It didn't help when your best players, RB James Starks (who was a considered a 1st-or-2nd round pick), was injured for the season right before the start of the season.
Old 12-05-2009, 06:04 PM   #218
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
He can be very picky w/ all the money he has coming his way.

He'd be smart to take a year off, get his weight and health under control (he almost died from a failed gastric bypass several years ago), and then come back. He's only 53-years old now and is connected to Parcells and Belichick. He could take a year off, serve as an offensive coordinator in the NFL for a few seasons and then probably get an NFL head coaching job.

He needs to get his other leg operated on, doesn't he?
Old 12-05-2009, 06:46 PM   #219
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

I'm still iffy on Turner Gill. He hasn't done enough to warrant getting a Big 12 job at this point, IMHO. This season's struggles at Buffalo certainly won't have helped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
Local media says UB head coach Turner Gill is interviewing for the Kansas job. His daughter is currently a KU student and Gill used to play in the Big 12 with Nebraska, so I'm sure he's very interested.
Old 12-06-2009, 12:00 PM   #220
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Christ Turns Down 3-Year, Multimillion Dollar Deal To Coach Notre Dame | The Onion - America's Finest News Source

Quote:
SOUTH BEND, IN—Jesus Christ, the Son of God, Savior of All Mankind, and current defensive coordinator at Middle Tennessee State, said Monday that He would not accept Notre Dame's 3-year, $5.6 million offer to coach the Fighting Irish. "I love Notre Dame and respect their football legacy, but no matter what you've accomplished before coaching there, once you're a Golden Domer, the expectations, frankly, are unrealistic," said Christ, whose family has been involved with the university since its founding. "I've had people turn on Me before, and it really put Me through hell. But even more importantly, I've made a commitment to stay with the Blue Raiders through 2015." Christ denied asking Notre Dame to remove His likeness from the building overlooking their stadium, saying He liked a good joke as much as anybody.

LOL!
Old 12-06-2009, 12:31 PM   #221
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
New to this thread, but Buffalo had a ton of new players coming in. It didn't help when your best players, RB James Starks (who was a considered a 1st-or-2nd round pick), was injured for the season right before the start of the season.

The CAA South is probably better then the MAC East at this point and Buffalo did nothing. He's a coaching prospect I guess, but it's based on one decent year in a poor league.
lynchjm24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 01:21 PM   #222
Atocep
Coordinator

Looks like Brian Kelly interviews for the Notre Dame job tomorrow. Cincinnati fans are starting to accept the fact that he could be gone and they may have an interim coach for their bowl game.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 01:23 PM   #223
Atocep
Coordinator

Dola

Butch Jones interviews for the Marshall job tomorrow, if anyone cares. I think it'd be a terrible move on his part.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 01:26 PM   #224
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Looks like Brian Kelly interviews for the Notre Dame job tomorrow. Cincinnati fans are starting to accept the fact that he could be gone and they may have an interim coach for their bowl game.

I have this weird feeling Kelly is going to snub ND. I just think Kelly is the kind of guy who is going to make outrageous demands like getting to get more academic risk kids in and I don't think ND will budge.
Old 12-07-2009, 01:36 PM   #225
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

despite my selfish wants, I can not see GT CPJ is not on the Irish' short list.
Old 12-07-2009, 01:40 PM   #226
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:

Great coach but there is no way in hell I ever see ND installing a triple option there. The boosters would jump off a cliff before that happened, right or wrong.
Old 12-07-2009, 01:49 PM   #227
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:

They probably don't believe he really works there.
Passacaglia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 01:51 PM   #228
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Great coach but there is no way in hell I ever see Michigan installing a spread offense there. The boosters would jump off a cliff before that happened, right or wrong.

So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 01:54 PM   #229
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post

I see what you did there.

I bet that would give ND some huge pause too, seeing as it's been a disaster so far at Michigan (Though way more on the D there then the O) but the spread option is still different then the triple option.

ND is way too stodgy to every even consider it.
Old 12-07-2009, 03:30 PM   #230
MJ4H
Coordinator

LOL at Houston Nutt to Kansas being a done deal rumors going around now.

Ole Miss coach Nutt interested in KU job, has talked with Perkins - KansasCity.com
MJ4H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 03:31 PM   #231
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Nutt would be a solid hire for Kansas though I have no idea how well he'll be able to recruit there.
Old 12-07-2009, 03:33 PM   #232
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Nutt would be a solid hire for Kansas though I have no idea how well he'll be able to recruit there.

Kansas fans don't seem to think so, hehe

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=172&f=2485&t=5261546
Old 12-07-2009, 03:38 PM   #233
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Brian Kelly and Jim Harbaugh Interviewing With Notre Dame - NYTimes.com

Looks like Harbaugh is going to interview as well for ND.

If he somehow did get hired by ND, good for him. I really doubt he ends up there but I don't honestly care.

Now it would make for some interesting stores around here and a lot of UM fans will be in tears but it is what it is.
Old 12-07-2009, 04:31 PM   #234
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Houston Nutt would be a tough sell for Kansas fans. The debacle at Arkansas is still fresh in a number of people's minds so I just can't imagine him getting a serious look from Kansas. The Arkansas media can be a bit crazy at times so I don't know that I place much confidence in this story.

Quote:
Old 12-07-2009, 04:36 PM   #235
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Houston Nutt would be a tough sell for Kansas fans. The debacle at Arkansas is still fresh in a number of people's minds so I just can't imagine him getting a serious look from Kansas. The Arkansas media can be a bit crazy at times so I don't know that I place much confidence in this story.

It was verified by the Kansas City Star independently.
Old 12-07-2009, 04:44 PM   #236
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Great coach but there is no way in hell I ever see ND installing a triple option there. The boosters would jump off a cliff before that happened, right or wrong.

Really?
Thats largely what Holtz won with, and one of the biggest complaints I have heard out of, the admittedly limited, ND fans I have contact with. They seem to long for a dominating ground game....again maybe just insufficient sampling
Old 12-07-2009, 05:56 PM   #237
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

I don't put much faith in the KC Star anymore either since Jason King left town. Joe Posnanski is about the only talented writer left on staff and he's only a part timer with his new gig at Sports Illustrated. I don't doubt that Nutt has been talked to since he's friends with Bill Self, but I would be awfully surprised if anything more came of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post
It was verified by the Kansas City Star independently.
Old 12-07-2009, 09:33 PM   #238
Swaggs
Coordinator

Houston Nutt is well-known for throwing his name out and/or saying that he has no interest in jobs that he is not a candidate for.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 10:21 PM   #239
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Really?
Thats largely what Holtz won with, and one of the biggest complaints I have heard out of, the admittedly limited, ND fans I have contact with. They seem to long for a dominating ground game....again maybe just insufficient sampling
I wouldn't go that far - one of the reasons Weis' hiring was so welcome was the thought that ND needed to run a pro-style offense to get the recruits - but that came about because we were known as an option team. That was Holtz's base offense most years and we had it as part of the playbook until Weis arrived (its a terrible idea imo to run the option unless it's your base package, not just the fumbles on pitches but the number of bad decisions on when to pitch) - I even remember Carlyle Holliday running it as our base offense one of the bad years (2002?). And of course Urban Meyer basically runs a spread option, and most ND fans would have taken him without hesitation in 2004 and now.

I do agree Johnson won't get much of a look - weirdly if anything Niumatalolo's name has come up in rumors more than his. My best guess at the current wishlist is in order (Stoops) Kelly, Harbaugh, Edsall. The order may be clouded because that's my preference too if those are the candidates. Not at all sure where I would put Paul Johnson if he were in consideration - it seems like he's overachieving and doing it with smoke and mirrors, but it's been the same way for 15 years at 3 different schools. Maybe after another season where he goes 13-1 with a loss to Georgia JiMGA will burn his effigy on his lawn to convince him to leave.

Last edited by BishopMVP : 12-07-2009 at 10:22 PM.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 09:44 AM   #240
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
Houston Nutt is well-known for throwing his name out and/or saying that he has no interest in jobs that he is not a candidate for.

Don't I know. Sexton is just involved enough in this one to make me raise my eyebrows about his motives, but still, it is fun to think about how he would be bolting for another job years before Petrino given their "reputations."

http://twitter.com/TomDienhart

"A source close to Houston Nutt told me he will interview for the Kansas job."
25 minutes ago from web
Old 12-08-2009, 10:02 AM   #241
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
They probably don't believe he really works there.

Sorry, maybe I should have said, "They probably don't believe *his resume* when it says he works there."

You will get my joke! Don't make me rephrase it again!

Last edited by Passacaglia : 12-08-2009 at 10:02 AM. Reason: added a quotation mark
Passacaglia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 10:08 AM   #242
Samdari
Roster Filler

So now that everyone with a pulse except Brian Kelly has turned them down, where would Notre Dame look if he turns them down?

Last edited by Samdari : 12-08-2009 at 10:22 AM.
Samdari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 10:09 AM   #243
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari View Post
So now that everyone with a pulse except Brian Kelly has turned them down, where would Notre Dame turn if he turns them down?

Joe Paterno? Wait you said he had to have a pulse.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 10:31 AM   #244
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

The Sugar Bowl will be a lot less interesting if Kelly goes. Florida could be suffering through facing lowered expectations, see 'Bama in the Sugar last year. With Kelly gone and his players getting walked out on for the 2nd time in recent history after their coach stated they weren't going anywhere, they might mail it in as well.

Last edited by Matthean : 12-08-2009 at 10:32 AM.
Matthean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 10:45 AM   #245
Kodos
Resident Alien

We'd be overjoyed to send Bill Lynch north to take the job.
Old 12-08-2009, 10:59 AM   #246
bob
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
The Sugar Bowl will be a lot less interesting if Kelly goes.

I think Kelly and Meyer should just make a bet that the loser has to take the ND job. Then the Sugar Bowl would be really interesting.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 12:13 PM   #247
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
I think Kelly and Meyer should just make a bet that the loser has to take the ND job. Then the Sugar Bowl would be really interesting.

Gold

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 08:20 PM   #248
DeToxRox
Head Coach

So Tim Brewster is the new hot name with Kansas. Truthfully it seems to be the best fit considering he was at UT, he recruits Texas hard and knows the Big 12.

He's done a good job so far at Minny, and that is comparable gig to Kansas if you ask me.
Old 12-08-2009, 08:44 PM   #249
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
So Tim Brewster is the new hot name with Kansas. Truthfully it seems to be the best fit considering he was at UT, he recruits Texas hard and knows the Big 12.

He's done a good job so far at Minny, and that is comparable gig to Kansas if you ask me.

As a follow up to this, I have read several Minnesota fans are saying Brewster is using KU as a way to leverage himself into another job (namely Illinois if it comes open) and that the AD has said as much.

Mckerney or Sov or any other Goph fans, any truth here?
Old 12-08-2009, 08:46 PM   #250
tarcone
Coordinator

What has Brewster done at Minny? Compile a 500 record? I guess that is above average for the Gophers. Great job Brewster.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote