Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-01-2009, 11:11 PM   #201
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Meh, the "perfect relationship" makes me want to roll my eyes. Any Pam/Jim interaction if it doesn't involve a third party (like Andy) tends to bore me on this show these days.
Old 02-01-2009, 11:19 PM   #202
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
Great episode but the Jack Black movie thing was really, really stupid. Who thought that was a good idea? It felt really forced and didn't flow with the rest of the episode.

Andy's reactions to Jim/Pam talking and to the movie were pretty funny, but the movie itself yes, didn't do much for me
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 11:47 PM   #203
RainMaker
General Manager

Best episode of the season. The opening scene almost had me in tears.

I really wish they'd move away from the Jim/Pam stuff. Not saying break them up, just simply not have every episode involve some mushy storylines. Jim was a great character and it feels like they've neutered his personality since he got with her.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 11:50 PM   #204
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
it feels like they've neutered his personality since he got with her.

I think that's it! Before Jim/Pam were this close, you'd always have an episode or two showing that Jim was, well, kind of a jerk. He was like the cool kid in school. He would pick on those who people thought needed it (ie, Dwight), but still... jerk.

His jerkiness is more muted now... and it seems to have taken away some depth from his character (usually more episodes add depth to characters).
Old 02-02-2009, 02:26 PM   #205
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
I didn't mind that at all. I liked that better than creating a BS reason to break them up.

Ditto. I started to get real worried we were about to have one of those tv break-ups. Please don't make this an on-again off-again thing.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 02:32 PM   #206
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
Great episode but the Jack Black movie thing was really, really stupid. Who thought that was a good idea? It felt really forced and didn't flow with the rest of the episode.

They wanted a way to have "stars" appear without making them an actual character. I saw the producer say in an interview that they are trying to keep away from having stars making regular guest spots. I'm guessing this was a compromise with NBC. (They did say in the same interview that they are tempted to see if Carol Burnett would play Micheal's mom).

Last edited by GrantDawg : 02-02-2009 at 02:32 PM.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 02:49 PM   #207
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Jim plays a whipped bitch well.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 02:49 PM   #208
Kodos
Resident Alien

I laughed harder at Dwight harvesting the CPR dummy's organs than I have laughed at anything in a long, long time. Very funny episode.

Last edited by Kodos : 02-02-2009 at 02:49 PM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 02:52 PM   #209
MrBug708
Head Coach

Didn't I meet you in the parking lot?
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 02:52 PM   #210
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post

His jerkiness is more muted now...

Really? I thought he was a huge jerk when he ran that wire up to the telephone poll and showed no concern about Dwight's safety last week. Funny and Dwight deserves it, but I don't think his jerkiness is that muted.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 02-02-2009 at 02:53 PM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 02:53 PM   #211
DeToxRox
Head Coach

"Jim and Pam are movie geniuses ... They're catching things that're going over my head"

That was awesome.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 03:38 PM   #212
RainMaker
General Manager

For those who missed the intro.

Old 02-02-2009, 03:41 PM   #213
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Really? I thought he was a huge jerk when he ran that wire up to the telephone poll and showed no concern about Dwight's safety last week. Funny and Dwight deserves it, but I don't think his jerkiness is that muted.
But that was a rare glimpse. Before they got together his entire character was built around being the office prankster/jerk. They'd have a quick scene with Pam or something every week, but it wasn't his main storyline.
Old 02-02-2009, 03:53 PM   #214
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Kevin kicking in the vending machine almost had beer coming out of my nose!
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 05:18 PM   #215
Galaxy
Coordinator

Angela's cat flying through the ceiling was funny.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 05:30 PM   #216
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
But that was a rare glimpse. Before they got together his entire character was built around being the office prankster/jerk. They'd have a quick scene with Pam or something every week, but it wasn't his main storyline.

True. I had forgotten about the pole thing, though, to be honest. But in the 2nd season almost every episode had some prank Jim was playing on Dwight.
Old 02-02-2009, 06:14 PM   #217
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

I thought Creed had the best line of the episode when he said that the dummy did not have a wallet because he had already checked.

It was a good episode but the whole movie was really stupid. I hope that is one time thing. Quite frankly, I was pretty grossed out about it.
Old 02-02-2009, 06:18 PM   #218
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I think that was the point (though Andy's reaction was hilarious).

I think NBC pushed for big stars (since it was on AFTER THE SUPER BOWL!!1!) and that's the best way they could isolate those stars to not ruin the "real" show.
Old 02-02-2009, 06:39 PM   #219
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Michael throwing bread out for birds in the middle of winter and yelling "caw caw" was great.

Andy's song to Michael was great too.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 09:29 PM   #220
Raiders Army
Coordinator

I liked how Dwight cut the face off the dummy.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 10:26 PM   #221
Daimyo
College Starter

I generally don't like the episodes that push the characters to absurd versions of themselves, but this one was still pretty good.
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 07:38 AM   #222
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Really good episode.

And I think that the show works better with Jim and Pam happy than with the lazy Breakup/get back together/breakup/get back together/breakup formula that so many shows use "to keep things fresh."

Even when she was engaged to Roy, she and Jim were still a couple. They make a really good team, and I think that the show would lose something if they were apart.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 11:19 AM   #223
Kodos
Resident Alien

In the first season, I disliked Michael because he was so obnoxious, but at this point, he has shown that he truly cares about his employees (with the exception of the HR guy(Toby?)), even if it comes out in twisted ways. I actually felt bad for him during the roast.
Old 02-03-2009, 12:43 PM   #224
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
In the first season, I disliked Michael because he was so obnoxious, but at this point, he has shown that he truly cares about his employees (with the exception of the HR guy(Toby?)), even if it comes out in twisted ways. I actually felt bad for him during the roast.

I'm the opposite. When the show started, I liked him because he was obnoxious. Now, I dislike him because he's gone from obnoxious to downright evil -- except for sometimes he has a heart of gold.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 12:49 PM   #225
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Missed the last 10 minutes because the stupid bowl ran over. Wish that broadcasts could send out a flag for those with DVRs to delay until the damn show actually starts, especially in cases like this. Seems like it shouldn't be that hard to do since it's all digital anyway.

Will have to wait for the rerun unless I can find some streaming that works. I don't know if it's my PC or my network but most streaming vids that are any appreciable length get fubared in the first 5 minutes and don't recover. Hulu, ABC, etc, all seem to have that issue. Actually it might be my PC. It's on the wireless network, I have no problems using Netflix on my 360, which has the wired connection. Hmm. Either way, can't wait til the rerun!

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 12:51 PM   #226
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Agreed. I think Michael has become somewhat of a likable character. And when Angela was with Andy, I was feeling bad for Dwight and was amazed that the writers actually made me feel sorry for Dwight. It's a great show.
Old 02-03-2009, 01:22 PM   #227
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
Missed the last 10 minutes because the stupid bowl ran over. Wish that broadcasts could send out a flag for those with DVRs to delay until the damn show actually starts, especially in cases like this. Seems like it shouldn't be that hard to do since it's all digital anyway.

You're forgetting that the broadcasters hate the fact that you're watching on a DVR.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 01:32 PM   #228
Kodos
Resident Alien

I always tack on an extra hour or hour and a half to sports events, because they always finish recording before the game is over.
Old 02-03-2009, 02:44 PM   #229
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

The Office is the only show that when I play it back on my DVR, it sometimes freezes and the sound skips a lot.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 06:35 PM   #230
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

I really enjoyed the whole Pam/Roy/Jim angle though. To me, that is what got me hooked on the show. The show has def. gone in a different direction from the Season 1, 2, 3 format but I don't think they could have kept that angle going for forever.
Old 02-03-2009, 07:11 PM   #231
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I always tack on an extra hour or hour and a half to sports events, because they always finish recording before the game is over.

If I'd realized there was an episode of it following the stupid bowl, I would have, but didn't realize it was on until I was watching the game (it's been very hectic at work, I'm really far behind on tv watching), when I wasn't at my house and when I got home, I forgot to look if I could bump out the recording that had already started (it may have been too late, though).

Alas. Just one of those super-annoying things.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 06:36 AM   #232
Comey
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
You're forgetting that the broadcasters hate the fact that you're watching on a DVR.

Really? I get the feeling like The Office wouldn't be around anymore if not for the DVR. Remember, it got horrible ratings for the first couple of seasons, but was the most recorded show on DVRs. So, it stayed, and has gained marketing steam from NBC.

I'm not sure your comment can fit with the above. But I am curious if they really dislike DVRs. Can you give information to support the statement?

Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 06:40 AM   #233
Comey
College Starter

dola--

Great episode. I loved Michael's roast of the employees at the end of the show.

I'm really wondering if we have seen the last of Dwight/Andy/Angela. The movie really struck a tone with Andy, it seems...and when Angela went up for the roast, they cut to Andy and Dwight. They hadn't done that since that whole thing came to its apex. So, now...I'm wondering if we really have seen it's final resolution.

As far as Jim goes, they've been doing more than a "quick scene with Pam" since the beginning. I think it's interesting that some view him as a jerk, and I can definitely see that logic. I think it's wonderful what the writers have done, which is make us feel for all the characters, so that even the ones who are the generally most beloved make us feel negative things when they do things to another character that is generally most disliked.

Just wonderful.

Old 02-04-2009, 07:29 AM   #234
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comey View Post
Really? I get the feeling like The Office wouldn't be around anymore if not for the DVR. Remember, it got horrible ratings for the first couple of seasons, but was the most recorded show on DVRs. So, it stayed, and has gained marketing steam from NBC.

I'm not sure your comment can fit with the above. But I am curious if they really dislike DVRs. Can you give information to support the statement?

Most people skip commercials when they watch on a DVR. Reducing the number of eyes that see an ad reduces the amount the broadcaster can charge. It's why you see more advertising within a show and also why networks are trying to figure out ways to put separate ads into DVRed shows compared to what's seen "live." I don't know if JiMGA pops into this thread, as he might have better info, but here's a couple articles that discuss it:

TV advertising's DVR challenge - CNET News

NBC And Goodyear to Launch DVR-Proof Advertising During Olympics - Adrants

Assessing DVRs' impact on TV ads :: BtoB Magazine

I think we even had a "most DVRed shows" thread that talked more about the topic.
Old 02-04-2009, 07:31 AM   #235
Comey
College Starter

Well, I'm aware of the commercial issue. But I was unaware that the networks were against it, based on that knowledge. It does make sense. Thanks.

Old 02-04-2009, 07:34 AM   #236
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comey View Post

I think their episodes on iTunes helped as well. It was one of their highest sellers.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 08:00 AM   #237
Comey
College Starter

Agreed on iTunes. I know I was upset when they didn't sell Season 4.

Old 02-04-2009, 12:55 PM   #238
StLee
High School Varsity

To add, don't you think that those plugs on The Office are not REALLY ACCIDENTAL? No one on any other show in the history of television and film has ever mentioned a product without it being paid for by the advertising company.

Hmm... during the fire drill Kevin kicked in a vending machine magically filled to the brim with DORITO products. I wonder if that was a product placement or not. . . . Please. The Office gets its money and then some, DVR recordings or not.
StLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 01:01 PM   #239
larrymcg421
Head Coach

The DVR ratings were nice for the Office, but what really kept the show around was the demo's. In total audience numbers, The Office has very subpar ratings, but it is a top 20 show in the 18-49 age group, and even higher in more specific age groups. This is why it gets good ad dollars.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 01:54 PM   #240
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by StLee View Post
To add, don't you think that those plugs on The Office are not REALLY ACCIDENTAL? No one on any other show in the history of television and film has ever mentioned a product without it being paid for by the advertising company.

Hmm... during the fire drill Kevin kicked in a vending machine magically filled to the brim with DORITO products. I wonder if that was a product placement or not. . . . Please. The Office gets its money and then some, DVR recordings or not.
It's actually funny, because typically that machine is filled with food items from a local chip manufacture, but for this specific episode it was Doritos.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 07:19 PM   #241
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by StLee View Post
No one on any other show in the history of television and film has ever mentioned a product without it being paid for by the advertising company.

Not true, not even close.

Product placement fees are a relatively recent phenomenon and there were situations "back in the day" (think 60's and at least into the 70's as far as I know) where productions would nearly beg to get permission to use a real product on screen. Okay, "beg" might be a bit strong, but plead for permission isn't overstating it. The notion was that real products had as much or more of a potential cachet/added credibility for the show than the show had benefits for the product.

Times have definitely changed.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 02-05-2009 at 09:28 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 07:31 PM   #242
Logan
Head Coach

Seinfeld dropped product names all the time and never got paid a cent. I remember hearing the exact reason Jon stated as to why they did it in one of the behind the scenes things. A lot easier to build an episode around a Pez dispenser or Drake's Coffee Cake than some random made up name.

edit: I'm sure once Seinfeld became a huge success it was more of a quick yes by the product people. That same special said the only time they had to change a product was going from Chef Boyardee to "Beef-a-rino"...since the product was giving a horse such ridiculous gas that it knocked Kramer on his ass.

Last edited by Logan : 02-04-2009 at 07:33 PM.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:23 PM   #243
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
It's actually funny, because typically that machine is filled with food items from a local chip manufacture, but for this specific episode it was Doritos.

Hmmm...Kind of strange that one of the Super Bowl commericals (and the best rated) that was made via public proposal was very similar to what Kevin did.

I think all the television shows will go to product placement. Look at American Idol. The Coke-Cola cups in front of the judges, the fancy cars on Desperate Housewives.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/10/02/bu...y/02place.html

Last edited by Galaxy : 02-04-2009 at 10:26 PM.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 09:06 AM   #244
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I think that product placement is fine. At the point that it starts to take away from the quality of the show, I will stop watching. Until then, no reason that they can't make money.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 09:29 AM   #245
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
I think all the television shows will go to product placement.

We're already there. There's very few shows (if any) that wouldn't consider it at this point.
Old 02-05-2009, 09:41 AM   #246
Passacaglia
Coordinator

I saw a little bit of 90210 last night, and they had a scene with two cameras, one on each person talking. They flipped back and forth quickly between the two, and both of them had some kind of Dr. Pepper logo in the background -- one had a vending machine, and the other was behind a counter, and had some fountain drinks. It totally looked like they were just flashing Dr. Pepper logos at me -- pretty funny.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 09:48 AM   #247
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
I think that product placement is fine. At the point that it starts to take away from the quality of the show, I will stop watching. Until then, no reason that they can't make money.
Try catching the Smallville episode that the kryptonite tainted gum caused someone to go superpower and tell me we haven't got to that point...
Old 02-05-2009, 09:49 AM   #248
Tasan
College Starter

Product placement is the reason we have TV shows. Read a little history on the early days of TV. Its just coming full circle again.
Old 02-05-2009, 09:52 AM   #249
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasan View Post
Product placement is the reason we have TV shows. Read a little history on the early days of TV. Its just coming full circle again.

+1
Old 02-05-2009, 09:54 AM   #250
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
I saw a little bit of 90210 last night, and they had a scene with two cameras, one on each person talking. They flipped back and forth quickly between the two, and both of them had some kind of Dr. Pepper logo in the background -- one had a vending machine, and the other was behind a counter, and had some fountain drinks. It totally looked like they were just flashing Dr. Pepper logos at me -- pretty funny.
Wow I saw that same thing, we had just finished watching Scrubs on the DVR and it went to the CW and I saw that exact scene and I was thinking PRODUCT PLACEMENT!