Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-30-2008, 08:39 PM   #201
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
Their offensive line is playing o-lay and is going to get Harper killed.

Wouldn't coaching adjust to that by throwing quicker passes, shorting drops, and calling screens?
Old 08-30-2008, 08:43 PM   #202
SFL Cat
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
Watched the first half of the Arkansas-Western Illinois game before I got a headache from being in the nosebleed section (Note to self: Show up to game at least an hour and a half to two hours early next time).

The Razorbacks looked like absolute shit on offense. How bad was it? 10-7 Western Illinois at the half and our lone TD came from our only decent drive of the first half.

Casey Dick held on to the ball far too long quite a few times and it didn't seem like the O-line was doing so hot either.

Our defense was pretty decent, although this Donaldson kid (#3 HB) on Western Illinois was doing extremely well against us.

Hopefully the adjustments came at halftime. Going to see if I can catch the game on TV now.

Razorbacks better watch out. If they lose this one, Petrino will probably immediately look to bail.
SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 08:43 PM   #203
SFL Cat
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop View Post
Wouldn't coaching adjust to that by throwing quicker passes, shorting drops, and calling screens?

Doh!
Old 08-30-2008, 08:53 PM   #204
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Or actually running draws with their two good RBs.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 08:55 PM   #205
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Or actually running draws with their two good RBs.

Exactly. Tommy Bowden is getting out coached by Nick Saban, who has his team focused.

Last edited by Noop : 08-30-2008 at 09:21 PM.
Noop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 09:00 PM   #206
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFL Cat View Post
Razorbacks better watch out. If they lose this one, Petrino will probably immediately look to bail.

It's 28-24 Arkansas now with just under 2 minutes to go. Casey Dick somehow has 4 TDs, 2 passing and 2 running, one of which was a 23 yarder, the other a 4 yard TD run.

9 different Hogs with a pass reception so far today.

Hopefully we'll be able to pull out the win, but the fact that it's this close against a 1-AA team does not make bode well for the rest of the season.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 09:07 PM   #207
Izulde
Head Coach

And Hogs get the 28-24 win!

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 09:10 PM   #208
Tigercat
College Starter

Arkansas State beat Texas A&M. New coaches really struggling this weekend.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 09:11 PM   #209
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

North Carolina holding on to a 1 point lead against McNeese State
Old 08-30-2008, 09:12 PM   #210
Tigercat
College Starter

McNeese has given a number of 1A teams fits over the years. Usually the big boys pull it out in the end though.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 09:14 PM   #211
RendeR
Coordinator

Mizzou kicking the living shit out of Illinois right now. The Illinis look like a Div II team, getting beat everywhere and beaten badly. Mizzou isn't even trying hard.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 09:16 PM   #212
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

That's what Clemson needs.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 09:16 PM   #213
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
That's what Clemson needs.

And he needs to carry the ball more on offense too!
Old 08-30-2008, 09:18 PM   #214
hoopsguy
General Manager

Quote:
Exactly. Tommy Bowden is going out coached by Nick Saban, who has his team focused.

Hmm, who could have seen that coming?
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 09:19 PM   #215
hoopsguy
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
Mizzou kicking the living shit out of Illinois right now. The Illinis look like a Div II team, getting beat everywhere and beaten badly. Mizzou isn't even trying hard.

Yep, I think that is a fair description of the last 10 minutes of the half. Up to that point it was a competitive game. But then Macklin ran one back to allow Mizzou to re-capture the lead and the Illini defense melted.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 09:19 PM   #216
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

The comment of the first half is how Brent and Kirk talked about how tense Tommy Bowden was in their pregame meetings while Saban was loose. The team feeds off the coach.
Old 08-30-2008, 09:20 PM   #217
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

LaTech beats Miss. State 22-14, no doubt with some help from 5 turnovers.
Big thud for Sylvester Croom to start the season, giving up 19 unanswered points.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 08-30-2008 at 09:27 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 09:39 PM   #218
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Anybody done a suicide check on CUTiger?
Old 08-30-2008, 09:40 PM   #219
JHandley
High School Varsity

Washington is getting outclassed by Oregon in what looks to be Ty's last year in Seattle.
JHandley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 09:42 PM   #220
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

Mizzou is clearly better than Illinois.

If Clemson & Va Tech both go down (ACC divisional favorites), then is the ACC the worst BCS conference?

Before the season started I thought it was SEC, Big 12, Pac 10, Big 10, Big East, and the ACC as far as ranking the conferences. I'm seriously wondering if the ACC is really the worst. I know about their record in BCS games, but wow. We'll know a lot more in 4 weeks.
kingnebwsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 09:46 PM   #221
Logan
Head Coach

I don't see how it's even debatable.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 09:48 PM   #222
SFL Cat
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
And Hogs get the 28-24 win!

Good. Always had a soft spot for the Razorbacks. However, you're right. They need to step it up or it could be a loooong season in Fayetteville when they get to the conference schedule.
Old 08-30-2008, 09:50 PM   #223
SFL Cat
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingnebwsu View Post
Mizzou is clearly better than Illinois.

If Clemson & Va Tech both go down (ACC divisional favorites), then is the ACC the worst BCS conference?

Before the season started I thought it was SEC, Big 12, Pac 10, Big 10, Big East, and the ACC as far as ranking the conferences. I'm seriously wondering if the ACC is really the worst. I know about their record in BCS games, but wow. We'll know a lot more in 4 weeks.

I think you could make that point. I knew VT would be rebuilding this season, but I thought they'd win their opener. Likewise, I was hoping Clemson would knock off Alabama. I'm a SEC guy, but I can't stand Nick Satan...er Saban.
Old 08-30-2008, 09:51 PM   #224
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingnebwsu View Post
If Clemson & Va Tech both go down (ACC divisional favorites)

'course, part of the problem might lie with who the early favorites were.

The Bama/Clemson game is going pretty much like I expected (although the Tide offense is exceeding my expectations somewhat). Va Tech's loss to ECU isn't all that big a surprise either. Virginia definitely fared worse than I thought they would. But we don't really have a clue about BC, Miami, Wake, or even FSU.

There's certainly every chance that the conference is as bad as it looks but there's also a chance that what was wrong as much as anything was overrating a couple of teams that had obvious weakness (Hokies at QB, Clemson at HC).
Old 08-30-2008, 09:55 PM   #225
SFL Cat
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
There's certainly every chance that the conference is as bad as it looks but there's also a chance that what was wrong as much as anything was overrating a couple of teams that had obvious weakness (Hokies at QB, Clemson at HC).

Well, I expected more from Virginia, but they were never in that game against SC. I think Clemson will probably win the conference this year, but they've got no shot at a championship. Miami could start making national title noise again, but they'll need a few more years of seasoning before that happens. I'm thinking FSU finishes around .500 this season...and the others will have -meh- type seasons.

Yeah, the ACC has certain taken a tumble in prestige since its golden days.
Old 08-30-2008, 09:57 PM   #226
Logan
Head Coach

Allow me to join in on being really impressed by Alabama tonight.
Old 08-30-2008, 10:26 PM   #227
RendeR
Coordinator

Wow, Bama thrashing the hell outta Clemson....color me impressed.
Old 08-30-2008, 10:27 PM   #228
ace1914
High School Varsity

USC put it on VA today....kind of embarrassing really.
ace1914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 10:27 PM   #229
RendeR
Coordinator

Ok, I gotta say "Bama, join the current century, update those ugly ass uniforms"
Old 08-30-2008, 10:29 PM   #230
SFL Cat
College Starter

It might not be unthinkable to see the entire Bowden family out of football following this season.
Old 08-30-2008, 10:32 PM   #231
Warhammer
Pro Starter

If Illinois could actually hold Mizzou for a series or two, they might actually get back in the game.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 10:34 PM   #232
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Yeah, the ACC has certainly taken a tumble in prestige since FSU's golden days.

Fixed.

Even so, it's absolutely mindboggling how horrible the league looks outside of Wake Forest so far. Heck, the mere suggestion that Wake Forest is apparently the league's team to beat would've been a staggering one at the time of the expansion a few years ago.

As the results have gone on today, I've actually pondered whether the ACC would have just been better off not to have expanded, gambled on FSU, Tech, and Clemson walking, settled for mid-major status in football, and concentrated on basketball and other sports. I don't believe it to be true, but the thought did cross my mind. It certainly doesn't seem like much of a difference from the current situation.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 10:49 PM   #233
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
If Illinois could actually hold Mizzou for a series or two, they might actually get back in the game.

Wow, just flipped back to this game, its suddenyl a 10 pointer...yikes.
Old 08-30-2008, 10:51 PM   #234
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
(although the Tide offense is exceeding my expectations somewhat)

The loss of Applewhite was addition by subtraction because he loved the pass too much. I think part of Wilson's issues was he never felt comfortable in that offense. This is classic 'Bama though. Ground and pound with smart QB play and scary good defense. Saban being able to add in top flight WR talent is what's going to make this all the more interesting because 'Bama has virtually never been known for WRs.
Matthean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 11:24 PM   #235
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack View Post
As the results have gone on today, I've actually pondered whether the ACC would have just been better off not to have expanded, gambled on FSU, Tech, and Clemson walking, settled for mid-major status in football, and concentrated on basketball and other sports. I don't believe it to be true, but the thought did cross my mind. It certainly doesn't seem like much of a difference from the current situation.

Where would they have even walked to? One of them might have been able to sneak their way into the SEC, but the Big East sure wasn't looking to expand. Being independent teams wouldn't have been feasible either.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 12:25 AM   #236
MJ4H
Coordinator

Arkansas offense looked great tonight in the second half. Very slow start, but that isn't surprising. Once the cobwebs were out, it was much better, aside from the receivers dropping some balls they should've caught. Offense will be fine.

Defense, ugh. Didn't give up too many big plays, but consistently gave up 4-6 yds on almost every running play. Blech. Couldn't stop anyone and that may be trouble. The defense is supposed to be solid on the line and in the back, but weak in the linebackers, but the line didn't look good at all tonight.

Biggest problems were the D-line and turnovers. The slow start on offense doesn't worry me at all, though that and the turnovers made the game close when it shouldn't have been.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 09:06 AM   #237
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Anybody done a suicide check on CUTiger?

Alive and well....
I was at that debacle of course and thoroughly disgusted.
We have no Oline. I realize 4 of the 5 started their first game at the individual position, and Bama's D is good but that was pitiful. I walked away scratching my head, really not knowing how good or bad we are. We never stopped Bama but they never seemed to be able to explode either. And we simply never got going on Offense. It seemed like we could move the ball decently, but dropped passes, dumb penalties, and sacks kept stalling drives.

Quote:
And he needs to carry the ball more on offense too!

We were talkin about this on the way home today. Im not 100% sure that Spiller had a single traditional hit the hole carry the entire game.

Quote:
It might not be unthinkable to see the entire Bowden family out of football following this season.
I will with hold my opinion right now because its too raw, but after last seasons contract it is patently impossible to fire Bowden after this season. Thats no to say he couldn't resign or get taken out by sniper fire but he cant be fired.

One final thing to add. Bama was well represented and had some true high class fans. We had several who had bought tickets with in a few rows of us and while they cheered their team, hook their pom poms and made some noise they were very respectful and I did not see a single ass hole. Actually did see one but he wwas a Clemson fan...who could not handle losing.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 09:09 AM   #238
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Mike View Post
Where would they have even walked to? One of them might have been able to sneak their way into the SEC, but the Big East sure wasn't looking to expand. Being independent teams wouldn't have been feasible either.

That's true. But, it was always reputed that if the ACC didn't expand that the football schools were considering all options on the table including leaving the league, especially FSU. While they might not have found a home, the three probably might have had enough clout to cobble together a league of their own that still might have pulled some teams from the Big East and (if necessary) the directional Florida schools. A league of FSU, GT, Clemson, Miami, VT, UCF, USF, and another member would not have been an unreasonable possibility if they were forming up for football purposes.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 10:58 AM   #239
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I had a wedding to attend last night, but I DVR'd the Mizzou - Illinios game and WOW.. what a game it was!

Hope Macklin is ok, the x-ray's are negative, so that's a good thing.

Does MBBF have a hang over today?
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 11:48 AM   #240
timmynausea
College Starter

West Virginia struggled off and on defensively against Villanova, but the offensive changes looked great. Much closer to a balanced attack than I expected, and Pat White looks to have come a long way as a passer in just a few months under a new QB coach. He threw 5 TD passes and I think one incompletion was due to a defensive guy breaking it up. Every other incomplete literally hit a reciever in the hands and was dropped including the pick which popped straight up off Brad Starks' fingers. I'm obviously a Pat White fan, but I was blown away by the strides he's made as a passer since last year.

ECU's win over VT makes WVU's trip to play Skip Holtz and co. one of best matchups next weekend. The Pirates always seem to play us tough at their place, so hopefully the defense can get pressure a little more consistently next week.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 12:46 PM   #241
Swaggs
Coordinator

White was impressive. He threw a career high 33 passes (and not just the famed Rich Rod bubble screens) and every single one hit a receiver's hands.

I am hoping (and am reasonably sure) that the defense kept things very vanilla to avoid giving teams much film to prepare for.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 12:59 PM   #242
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
White was impressive. He threw a career high 33 passes (and not just the famed Rich Rod bubble screens) and every single one hit a receiver's hands.

I am hoping (and am reasonably sure) that the defense kept things very vanilla to avoid giving teams much film to prepare for.

Quit lying....don't remember anything about the game drunk ass.
Old 08-31-2008, 01:12 PM   #243
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

There are three college games being televised today (Sunday):

11:00 AM EDT Hampton vs. Jackson State: ESPN2 HD
3:30 PM EDT Kentucky at Louisville ESPN HD
7:30 PM EDT Colorado State vs. Colorado FSN HD
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 02:44 PM   #244
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHandley View Post
Washington is getting outclassed by Oregon in what looks to be Ty's last year in Seattle.

Someone please wake me up from this nightmare.

If only someone could have foreeen this...
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 02:54 PM   #245
Logan
Head Coach

UK-UL is always a good time.
Old 08-31-2008, 03:55 PM   #246
TargetPractice6
College Benchwarmer

Kentucky leads 10-0 at the half. UK's defense is dominating the Cards at this point.
TargetPractice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 04:10 PM   #247
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
The loss of Applewhite was addition by subtraction because he loved the pass too much. I think part of Wilson's issues was he never felt comfortable in that offense. This is classic 'Bama though. Ground and pound with smart QB play and scary good defense. Saban being able to add in top flight WR talent is what's going to make this all the more interesting because 'Bama has virtually never been known for WRs.

I watched the game with some family who are huge Alabama fans who were saying the same things. They still are not Parker Wilson fans (actually started calling for his backup at some point). They are in love with the run emphasis that the offense had.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 05:20 PM   #248
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
I had a wedding to attend last night, but I DVR'd the Mizzou - Illinios game and WOW.. what a game it was!

Hope Macklin is ok, the x-ray's are negative, so that's a good thing.

Does MBBF have a hang over today?

You really gotta wonder what would have happened if Juice didn't throw the INT with 8 minutes left on the Mizzou 25. All of a sudden you're talking about a 3 point game with UI with all the momentum. Oh well.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 05:30 PM   #249
Radii
Head Coach

newsobserver.com | Aerial delivery goes awry

Quote:
Duke officials were a bit surprised when, at 6 p.m. Saturday, about an hour before the scheduled kickoff of their game against James Madison, two men parachuted into Wallace Wade Stadium and landed with a game ball.

Problem was, the Blue Devils -- who were warming up on the field along with their guests from Virginia -- weren't expecting it.

"All we know is, they must have missed their jump site," a team official said.

And they did -- because the jump site was meant to be about eight miles away.

North Carolina was scheduled to receive the game ball for its contest against McNeese State via an aerial team at about that time in Chapel Hill.

According to UNC assistant athletic director for promotions Michael Beale, the plane was in the air but the jumpers from Virginia-based Aerial Adventures opted to cancel the leap into Kenan Stadium because of weather.

Evidently, when the clouds eventually opened, the pilot thought they were over the correct stadium, and the skydivers jumped -- realizing only when they landed in Wallace Wade that they were in the wrong place.

The two men immediately scrambled off the field with the game ball, and when UNC associate athletic director Rick Steinbacher was informed by a reporter of what had happened, he immediately called Duke officials to confirm the miscue and offer his apologies.

"In about five years, maybe this will be funny," Steinbacher said. "Right now, I'm just glad no one was hurt."
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 05:31 PM   #250
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Louisville is going to have a LOOOOONG season.