Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-21-2008, 11:17 AM   #201
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Now I'm really confused. Who else other than a mod can change someone's user name? Presumably someone from Operation Sports could I imagine but this seems awfully random for them to do. Are you trying to distinguish between "mods" vs "adminstrators" maybe? If so, I think that's a line being drawn too finely for the general use of the term "mod" here.

Yes, I draw a distinction between Ben and the mods, because as I've posted repeatedly before in these situations, we don't act proactively unless there's some kind of emergency. Ben takes unilateral action, we do not. This may have been Ben's decision to implement a suggestion someone (a mod or not) gave him privately, or in the context of one of his football leagues, I don't know, but it wasn't a "mod decision" in the sense that we discussed it, gave opinions on it and/or voted, and he implemented our decision.

With that clarification, I'll drop it.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 11:20 AM   #202
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
I hate it when I of read things wrong.

Catching up on this thread, and this is the best moment of the thread, yet.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 11:20 AM   #203
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Yes, I draw a distinction between Ben and the mods, because as I've posted repeatedly before in these situations, we don't act proactively unless there's some kind of emergency. Ben takes unilateral action, we do not.

Fair or not, if you're part of a corrupt system you're going to be connected with it, and by being a part of it, you do share in the responsibility.
Old 07-21-2008, 11:23 AM   #204
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Fair or not, if you're part of a corrupt system you're going to be connected with it, and by being a part of it, you do share in the responsibility.

Um...I don't "participate" in unilateral decisions of board administrators. Ben's actions have nothing to do with what the mods are around for. That's the point.

And just to make clear, I'm not expressing an opinion on whether I agree with this or not. Just the idea that I somehow was involved in the decision.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 07-21-2008, 11:26 AM   #205
Ksyrup

What exactly is my "responsibility" anyway? I don't find out about this stuff until you guys do, and sometimes (like now) several days later. What am I supposed to do - exercise a "virtual veto" over Ben's decision?
Old 07-21-2008, 11:27 AM   #206
MJ4H
Coordinator

I have stepped down from moderating positions before because I did not want to be associated with the rest of the staff whose actions I found abhorrent. I agree that no matter whether or not you did it, your willing participation reflects on you.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 11:27 AM   #207
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Um...I don't "participate" in unilateral decisions of board administrators. Ben's actions have nothing to do with what the mods are around for. That's the point.

And just to make clear, I'm not expressing an opinion on whether I agree with this or not. Just the idea that I somehow was involved in the decision.

Take a stand! Get involved!
Old 07-21-2008, 11:27 AM   #208
miked
College Starter

If people took their jobs as seriously as message boards, we may have the most productive society...evah!
Old 07-21-2008, 11:28 AM   #209
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
What exactly is my "responsibility" anyway? I don't find out about this stuff until you guys do, and sometimes (like now) several days later. What am I supposed to do - exercise a "virtual veto" over Ben's decision?

don't you guys have a shop steward?
Old 07-21-2008, 11:29 AM   #210
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:

Ksyrup taking collateral damage!

Duck and cover!
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com

Last edited by Subby : 07-21-2008 at 11:29 AM. Reason: lower case s!
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 11:29 AM   #211
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

MJ4H - wtf happened to your name?? was that by your request??
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 11:30 AM   #212
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

and what happened to bsak's name - was that by his request?
Old 07-21-2008, 11:30 AM   #213
KWhit
Coordinator

To this entire thread, I say:

"Lighten up, Francis."
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 11:31 AM   #214
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post
I have stepped down from moderating positions before because I did not want to be associated with the rest of the staff whose actions I found abhorrent. I agree that no matter whether or not you did it, your willing participation reflects on you.

Wouldn't the same be said about anyone that still hangs out here? These types of moves aren't terribly new or surprising. Apparently the aren't egregious enough to get people to leave, so what, people just like to whine?
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 11:31 AM   #215
Ksyrup

Quote:

Then so be it. I haven't "willingly participated" in anything, other than giving my thoughts on issues Ben decides to ask us about and doing thread/post clean-up when appropriate. That's kinda like holding your postman responsible for Dubya's decision to go to war, but whatever. I ain't going postal about it.
Old 07-21-2008, 11:31 AM   #216
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWhit View Post
To this entire thread, I say:

"Lighten up, Francis."

Mods, please change KWhit's name to Francis.

Thank you.
Old 07-21-2008, 11:32 AM   #217
Ksyrup

Ironically enough, when someone asked me about a month ago to do a name change for them, I was unable to. Ben had to do it.
Old 07-21-2008, 11:33 AM   #218
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Then so be it. I haven't "willingly participated" in anything, other than giving my thoughts on issues Ben decides to ask us about and doing thread/post clean-up when appropriate. That's kinda like holding your postman responsible for Dubya's decision to go to war, but whatever. I ain't going postal about it.

Yeah I'm not saying this particular incident is anything to get worked up over, but if this kind of crap continued I sure wouldn't want to be associated with it.
Old 07-21-2008, 11:33 AM   #219
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post

As was mentioned in the first few posts of this thread, yes.
Old 07-21-2008, 11:34 AM   #220
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

be nice to ksyrup - he's like a press secretary here - no need to crucify him - especially if he has nice gams
Old 07-21-2008, 11:34 AM   #221
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

oh. i must have missed that. i'm not a fan though
Old 07-21-2008, 11:36 AM   #222
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD View Post
Wouldn't the same be said about anyone that still hangs out here? These types of moves aren't terribly new or surprising. Apparently the aren't egregious enough to get people to leave, so what, people just like to whine?

Ding, ding!
Old 07-21-2008, 11:37 AM   #223
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:

Quote:

He's like KFC now.
Old 07-21-2008, 11:38 AM   #224
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
oh. i must have missed that. i'm not a fan though

I've wanted to do it for a long time. The drug bust incident was enough to push me over the line.
Old 07-21-2008, 11:41 AM   #225
MikeVic
Head Coach

Maybe the solution is for everyone to get a randomly-generated username?
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 11:41 AM   #226
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
I've wanted to do it for a long time. The drug bust incident was enough to push me over the line.

Thanks, now you make me look bad for keeping my name.
Old 07-21-2008, 11:44 AM   #227
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post

I think that was tried, but everyone liked Buccaneer better.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 11:44 AM   #228
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
It's been over 2 pages since HA/Anthony last posted. He got exactly what he wanted out of this thread.

He's played this like a Stradivarius.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 11:45 AM   #229
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:

Your new Delta name is.....Thunderlips.
Old 07-21-2008, 11:46 AM   #230
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Thanks, now you make me look bad for keeping my name.

That wasn't me.
Old 07-21-2008, 11:47 AM   #231
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
He's played this like an Antonio.

Fixed it
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 11:53 AM   #232
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
It's been over 2 pages since HA/Anthony last posted. He got exactly what he wanted out of this thread.

He's played this like a Stradivarius.

Eh, I think someone else got what he wanted out of this thread.

FOFC = trainwreck. I was foolish for thinking it could be something besides that at this point. Probably just time to enjoy it for what it is.
Old 07-21-2008, 12:00 PM   #233
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
This thread is an interesting insight into people's way of thinking. From a purely technical perspective:

1) There is not a way your screen login name can change, and you aren't automatically logged out of the system if you try to post. You can still obviously read posts, but until you login with the new name you are not able to post.

2) To be able to login, you need to know the screen name. Apparently, HA found out his new screen name in a PM that was sent. But that doesn't add up, because he would have to had logged in to be able to read that PM.

3) Some people have issues with Ben/SkyDog's moderation style at times. So people have assumed that HA is being 100% above board (from everyone's exposure to him over the years, when has this ever been the case?) in his insistence that his name was changed without him knowing, when technically the way he described it happening is bordering on impossible. But the vocal ones regarding Ben/SkyDog want to use this as an example of how bad he is, when it is entirely possible that Anthony/HA just wanted to stir the pot and made this story up to do so.
Old 07-21-2008, 12:02 PM   #234
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

but it's such an enjoyable trainwreck! and you know you love carousing with the other passengers as we hurtle towards the cliff, and laughing at the panicked folk.
Old 07-21-2008, 12:03 PM   #235
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Wouldn't posting a fake PM from Ben E Lou result in at least pine cones in the third input?
Old 07-21-2008, 12:03 PM   #236
PineTar
High School JV

PineTar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 12:10 PM   #237
MJ4H
Coordinator

I do not believe I have had to log back in since having my name changed.
Old 07-21-2008, 12:10 PM   #238
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
This thread is an interesting insight into people's way of thinking. From a purely technical perspective:

1) There is not a way your screen login name can change, and you aren't automatically logged out of the system if you try to post. You can still obviously read posts, but until you login with the new name you are not able to post.

2) To be able to login, you need to know the screen name. Apparently, HA found out his new screen name in a PM that was sent. But that doesn't add up, because he would have to had logged in to be able to read that PM.

3) Some people have issues with Ben/SkyDog's moderation style at times. So people have assumed that HA is being 100% above board (from everyone's exposure to him over the years, when has this ever been the case?) in his insistence that his name was changed without him knowing, when technically the way he described it happening is bordering on impossible. But the vocal ones regarding Ben/SkyDog want to use this as an example of how bad he is, when it is entirely possible that Anthony/HA just wanted to stir the pot and made this story up to do so.

I'm no bulletin board expert, so I'm interested to know if these statements are facts based on your actual VBulletin administration knowledge, or just your assumptions. Cookies, sessions, and other security features of any computer system vary greatly and are often quirky, so when you say "bordering on the impossible" I am skeptical.

That said, if HA is putting us on then he got me, and I apologize for calling SkyDork a bully... although he has done similar things in the past (edit button) so it's easy to believe that he might do this as well.

I think bottom line is that if SkyDork wasn't happy with how HA has been acting, then he should have banned him rather than toying with him. Or, if HA has made all this up, then he should be banned. All roads kind of lead to an HA banning, really.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 12:10 PM   #239
Dutch
"Dutch"

bump
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 12:11 PM   #240
MJ4H
Coordinator

excellent bump
Old 07-21-2008, 12:12 PM   #241
rkmsuf
Head Coach

I blame Ksyrup for all of this.
Old 07-21-2008, 12:14 PM   #242
MikeVic
Head Coach

We need an Antmeister parody out of this.
Old 07-21-2008, 12:17 PM   #243
cuervo72
Head Coach

Ok, lets make this simple.

1. HA went off on Schmidty last week - in response to a post that was months old - going a bit too far. This led to him being boxed for a week.

2. A few folks off in our Land of Make Believe opine that this is standard HA, he'll just be gone for a week and come back continuing where he left off. He's done it before, he'll do it again.

3. It was explained that "HA isn't really a bad guy - he just likes to put on this character". Which many of us (though certainly not all of us) are tired of. So, I offer a different approach to the boxing. Why not change his screen name to Anthony, and see if he starts acting like an actual person, rather than this caricature?

4. Folks agree that a name change is a spiffy idea. SkyDog agrees too, but for a slightly different reason. He gets a kick out of HA. Thinks he's a good diversion, and mostly harmless. A name change should get a nice little rise out of him (and in all likelihood he'd go ahead and change the name *back*).

5. Anthony returns, a little perplexed. But overall, doesn't blow up. FOFC, in its usual custom, DOES get all bent out of shape (some are angry, most are just confused, some just are), saving the day and providing the train wreck that was hoped for.
Old 07-21-2008, 12:18 PM   #244
DanGarion
Coordinator

Question, is Lorena getting suspended for her posting of a NSFW youtube video?

Also how come the big dog himself hasn't made a statement yet? When is the news conference scheduled for?
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 12:19 PM   #245
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

The only way I'll respect someone who's upset is if they never post again. Anything else is hypocritically supporting a corrupt system.
Old 07-21-2008, 12:20 PM   #246
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
I'm no bulletin board expert, so I'm interested to know if these statements are facts based on your actual VBulletin administration knowledge, or just your assumptions. Cookies, sessions, and other security features of any computer system vary greatly and are often quirky, so when you say "bordering on the impossible" I am skeptical.

It is based both on various BB administration (vbulletin, phpbb, invision, etc.) and general computer admin experience. Whenever a name changes, the checksums, CRCs, tokens, or whatever security mechanism used changes. When you try to use the old name, the checks just do not match up. There are wide variations on how differing systems handle security, but the basic mechanisms are the same across all systems.

That being said, there are always bugs and glitches in systems, and behavior might deviate from what was expected. That is why I said "bordering on the impossible" and not just a flat out "impossible". But much closer to a certainty than Anthony/HA's version of events.
Old 07-21-2008, 12:23 PM   #247
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
I think bottom line is that if SkyDork wasn't happy with how HA has been acting, then he should have banned him rather than toying with him. Or, if HA has made all this up, then he should be banned. All roads kind of lead to an HA banning, really.

Why?

HA antics have been going on forever, HA "toys" with people all the time, often in an asshatish way.

But if Ben does it to him that means Ben is being a douchebag? What is so wrong with Ben having a little fun with HA, it's not like HA hasn't earned it. I think it's funny he is getting a taste of his own medicine.

And don't use the abuse of power excuse because we all know Ben has no problem abusing his power and making it clear it isn't a democracy.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 12:23 PM   #248
MJ4H
Coordinator

If I were part of the moderation team I would've voiced my strong disagreement with the decision to change a user's name without their consent and recommended not treating him differently from other users. He should be warned/boxed/banned just like everyone else would be.

I'm not worked up over this and it doesn't seem like many people really are. It's just something to talk about. I think all the posts saying OMG DRAMA are the ones that are a little off. But hey what do I know.
Old 07-21-2008, 12:24 PM   #249
jeheinz72
Pro Rookie

Yep, I knew it was a dumb idea to read this thread.
jeheinz72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 12:26 PM   #250
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

It might be different because Ben is doing something that HA cannot do? Ben can do what he wants to do. We have no guarantees here, but I can see why somebody could be a little bit upset about it.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote