Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-24-2007, 08:58 AM   #201
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Vic View Post
It's the 5th tiebreaker in the hierarchical order, with head-to-head results being the first tiebreaker, etc. In this case, it would be necessary to go down to #5 to break the tie.

I just saw on ESPN that if 3 teams share the same conference schedule the tie breaker is highest team in BCS standings
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 09:05 AM   #202
JeeberD
General Manager

Congrats k0 and Taz, I honestly didn't think the 'Bows had a chance against Boise...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 09:17 AM   #203
Leonidas
College Benchwarmer

As an Ohio State fan yesterday was sweet for two reasons.

1) we're one more upset away from playing in the title game

2) LSU losing means Les Miles is that much closer to being hired by Michigan
Old 11-24-2007, 09:42 AM   #204
Galaxy
Coordinator

Hawaii only gets $50,000 per year to recruit?

It sounds like the facilities are in horrible shape. If so, Jones has done an incredible job with such little resources at his disposal.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 10:03 AM   #205
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crim View Post
Gross.

Understatement of the year
although we may have different reasons for thinking so
Old 11-24-2007, 10:53 AM   #206
sooner333
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
I just saw on ESPN that if 3 teams share the same conference schedule the tie breaker is highest team in BCS standings

I don't know about all of the conferences, but that is not the case in the Big 12.

First you go head-to-head. OU, OSU, and Texas would be 1-1 against eachother.

Second is the record against South Opponents, all three would be 3-2.

Third is record against the lower teams in order. Because A&M and Texas Tech are tied at 4th with the same south division record, they are looked at together and the three teams went 1-1 against them.

Fourth looks at common opponents in the North, however, the three teams share no common opponents.

Fifth is the BCS.

If they shared the same schedule, they could still be separated if they lost to different teams.
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 11:08 AM   #207
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

This Maryland - NC State game is going to be painful to watch (or at least listen to), I think I should make a drinking game of taking a drink everytime one of the announcers reminds us that the winner becomes bowl eligible.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 11:23 AM   #208
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD View Post
Congrats k0 and Taz, I honestly didn't think the 'Bows had a chance against Boise...

I'd definitely like to echo these sentiments. I thought Boise St would win this game but congrats to Hawaii for the great season.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 11:34 AM   #209
Celeval
Pro Starter

Three ACC games on tv in the Triangle - and none are UNC-Duke.

Edit: Ahh... it's hiding on ESPN-U.

Last edited by Celeval : 11-24-2007 at 12:04 PM.
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 11:34 AM   #210
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
I do not understand your value system, at all.

1. Unless Kansas wins it all, there will not be a team that deserves to call itself national champion. There are not two teams who I feel have put together a complete enough resume to say, yes, we deserve a shot at the title let alone one team who deserves to win the thing. Whoever wins this year will have simply survived and that's it.

2. It has been a season of medicority. College football thrives when there are dominant teams and it's better when it's the "big boys." Give me all of these lovely little stories of hope but in the end, NOBODY wants to see a Kansas-West Virginia title game unless you're a fan of those schools.

3. Much like the season, there is not a clear cut Heisman winner either. This is the one thing the season has for it. Dixon, Tebow, or McFadden? Dixon probably lost it by getting hurt but I still think he'll carry much of the west coast voting making it interesting to see if Tebow and McFadden might split the votes enough to somehow let Dixon still steal it. (I think he would have won it had he not been hurt)

4. My only hope out of all of this is people will finally see the need for a playoff. To have 117 teams play like this and to vote and use computers to determine a champion is simply idiotic. There was a time and a place for the voting system but it's day is long gone. Take every conference champ and some at-large teams and play a 16 team tournament. It is beyond time.

Hey....but maybe Kansas will win it all and go undefeated and I'll be able to say there really was a team who deserved to win it all.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 11:41 AM   #211
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
but maybe Kansas will win it all and go undefeated and I'll be able to say there really was a team who deserved to win it all.

You do realize that this mythical tournament winner isn't likely to have been any more undefeated than this year's BCS winner is going to be, right? And that 1/3rd of the national champions in your lifetime have not been undefeated?

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 11-24-2007 at 11:45 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 11:42 AM   #212
sooner333
College Starter

Quote:
4. My only hope out of all of this is people will finally see the need for a playoff. To have 117 teams play like this and to vote and use computers to determine a champion is simply idiotic. There was a time and a place for the voting system but it's day is long gone. Take every conference champ and some at-large teams and play a 16 team tournament. It is beyond time.

I'm going to take another opportunity to advocate my 12 team playoff with all conference champs at one at large. Top four get byes and the first two rounds are played at home sites with the semis and final being rotated among four bowls (with the fourth bowl each year getting the top two teams left out).

You get the urgency of the regular season by knowing that winning the conference is the best shot. But, even if you are Texas and lost to OU or USC and lose to Oregon, you still have a chance to get in by playing perfect the rest of the way (or, if you are Northwestern, go undefeated but don't play also undefeated Ohio State...or if you are Notre Dame and you are actually good).

It allows for a meaningful regular season and advantages for doing well (byes, home games).
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 11:48 AM   #213
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooner333 View Post
Top four get byes and the first two rounds are played at home sites with the semis and final being rotated among four bowls (with the fourth bowl each year getting the top two teams left out).

Keep trying, maybe you can turn CFB into a 16 game season too
Old 11-24-2007, 11:51 AM   #214
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Time for the annual UVA smashing....Go Hokies Go!
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 11:52 AM   #215
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3125379
LINCOLN, Neb. -- Bill Callahan was fired as Nebraska's coach Saturday, his four-year stay marked by the most embarrassing losses at a football program once among the mightiest in the nation.

ESPN's Joe Schad first reported the move.

Interim athletic director and Nebraska great Tom Osborne announced the dismissal one day after the Cornhuskers ended the season at 5-7 following a 65-51 loss at Colorado.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3125473
A few weeks after Ole Miss brass announced that head coach Ed Orgeron would be back in 2008, the third-year coach was fired Saturday, ESPN.com has learned.

The news comes a day after the Rebels lost to archrival Mississippi State 17-14, capping off a winless SEC season for the first time in over two decades.
Old 11-24-2007, 12:00 PM   #216
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

#14 BC finally takes a 7-0 lead over Miami, 8 mins left 1st half
#23 USF tied with Pitt 7-7, 8 mins left 1st half.
Old 11-24-2007, 12:00 PM   #217
Celeval
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
A few weeks after Ole Miss brass announced that head coach Ed Orgeron would be back in 2008, the third-year coach was fired Saturday, ESPN.com has learned.

Is this any different than "I'm not going to coach Alabama... I'm not going to coach Alabama... I'm now the new coach of Alabama"?
Old 11-24-2007, 12:03 PM   #218
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Keep trying, maybe you can turn CFB into a 16 game season too

plus we need to eliminate 3/4 of the teams so we can have full and comparative divisional and conference records to accurate determine tie-breakers. Let's just have some post-season bowl games and be done with it. Those crying for something definitive are making much more out of this than necessary.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 12:03 PM   #219
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celeval View Post
Is this any different than "I'm not going to coach Alabama... I'm not going to coach Alabama... I'm now the new coach of Alabama"?

The article goes on to say He seemed confident that'd he'd be back for 2008, but one of his assistants pointed out that votes of confidence rarely mean anything. "They just say those kinds of things so you keep recruiting," said the assistant.

I think it probably is a little surprising, since the consensus seemed to be that he would survive & get one more year. I guess the manner of losing yesterday was probably the difference, although I'm not sure who the heck they're going to get that's any better right now. This is a weak sister that now has their problems compounded by having their in-state rival being headed in the opposite direction.
Old 11-24-2007, 12:04 PM   #220
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3125379
LINCOLN, Neb. -- Bill Callahan was fired as Nebraska's coach Saturday, his four-year stay marked by the most embarrassing losses at a football program once among the mightiest in the nation.

ESPN's Joe Schad first reported the move.

Interim athletic director and Nebraska great Tom Osborne announced the dismissal one day after the Cornhuskers ended the season at 5-7 following a 65-51 loss at Colorado.

A month ago, Callahan said he was doing an excellent job. What happened, did the players stop playing for him?
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 12:05 PM   #221
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

TD UVA ! Thanks to an interception on an ill-advised flea flicker try by VT.

14-13 Cavs with 8ish left in the first half.
Old 11-24-2007, 12:05 PM   #222
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

15 yard run by Lance Ball puts the score 16-0 with about 7:30 left in the first half, PAT is good, 17-0 Terps.

/tk
Old 11-24-2007, 12:07 PM   #223
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
A month ago, Callahan said he was doing an excellent job. What happened, did the players stop playing for him?

Did they ever start playing for him?

Quote:
When the Huskers were 4-4, Osborne said, he told Callahan that if the team finished 8-4, there would be no coaching change and that if he won three of the last four games "we can maybe make it work."

"If it's two out of four, it's going to be pretty tough because now you're break-even, and we haven't had many break-even seasons around here," Osborne said he told Callahan. "And if we have a losing season, there isn't any way this will work. The parameters were pretty clearly spelled out."... "There were five [losses] at least that were three touchdowns or more," Osborne said. "So it's not just how many you win and how many you lose, but kind of how you do it."
Old 11-24-2007, 12:15 PM   #224
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
You do realize that this mythical tournament winner isn't likely to have been any more undefeated than this year's BCS winner is going to be, right? And that 1/3rd of the national champions in your lifetime have not been undefeated?

Yes, but at least they will have settled it on the field instead of by voting and computers.

Yes to your second question which is why I find the whole system stupid and beyond all belief. Many seasons, I simply don't have a title holder in my mind or perhaps I have two.

For my money, the current system is no better than the system we had before with all the bowl tie-ins.

Last edited by rowech : 11-24-2007 at 12:16 PM.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 12:19 PM   #225
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3125473

The news comes a day after the Rebels lost to archrival Mississippi State 17-14, capping off a winless SEC season for the first time in over two decades.

Ping: David Cutliffe

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 12:20 PM   #226
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Terps up 24-0 now with 4 left in the first half. I really wish this team would've showed up more often this season.

/tk
Old 11-24-2007, 12:20 PM   #227
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
For my money, the current system is no better than the system we had before with all the bowl tie-ins.

+1

It'll never happen after this season. This is close as you'll ever get to a playoff, because the moneygrabbers are already annoyed that they can't get voted into the title game on prestige, so they open the door to more bottomfeeders in their own conferences, wait a year or two and pray that they can "restore the natural order of things."

But if we keep seeing this sort of parity, they might opt for a playoff just to keep the so-called "pretenders" on a leash more than they already are.

Because if they keep messing around, one of these "weak" schools from "weak" conferences is going to screw around and win the whole thing.
Old 11-24-2007, 12:27 PM   #228
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yes to your second question which is why I find the whole system stupid and beyond all belief.

Umm ... huh?

On the one hand you're bitching because this year's #1 won't be undefeated ... but you're also advocating a system that makes it even less likely than the champion will be undefeated.

Although I don't agree about the "settled on the field" bit (as there's been plenty of action on the field to get us to the end), at least there's some sort of logic I can see there. The earlier rant about the lack of an undefeated team though, {shrug} I just don't see that as a problem.
Old 11-24-2007, 12:30 PM   #229
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
2. It has been a season of medicority. College football thrives when there are dominant teams and it's better when it's the "big boys." Give me all of these lovely little stories of hope but in the end, NOBODY wants to see a Kansas-West Virginia title game unless you're a fan of those schools.

Just out of curiosity, why? WVU's offense is one of the most entertaining to watch in the country, and they have two of the most dynamic players in the country in White and Slaton, with a 3rd on the way in Devine.

The only reason nobody would want to watch these teams play is if they have never actually seen them play.

Last edited by Logan : 11-24-2007 at 12:31 PM.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 12:31 PM   #230
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Pitt leads USF 14-10 at the half
BC leads Miami 14-0 with 30 secs left in the half.

And we're underway in Lexington with the SEC East title on the line.
Old 11-24-2007, 12:33 PM   #231
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

TOUCHDOWN TENNESSEE !!!

Ainge to Arian Foster, 65 yd pass on the first play from scrimmage.
7-0 Vols
Old 11-24-2007, 12:36 PM   #232
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Pitt leads USF 14-10 at the half
BC leads Miami 14-0 with 30 secs left in the half.

And we're underway in Lexington with the SEC East title on the line.

Terps up 24-0 at the half.

8 bowls for the ACC, 7 already spoken for, and 3 teams bowl eligible today (Terps, NCSU, Miami). I guess so far things are looking OK for us to go bowling, as rough a season as it's been, between injuries and a stupid stupid qb.

/tk
Old 11-24-2007, 12:37 PM   #233
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
I guess so far things are looking OK for us to go bowling, as rough a season as it's been, between injuries and a stupid stupid qb.

FWIW, you're welcome to the Emerald Bowl if you want it.
Old 11-24-2007, 12:37 PM   #234
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
TOUCHDOWN TENNESSEE !!!

Ainge to Arian Foster, 65 yd pass on the first play from scrimmage.
7-0 Vols

Is the Tennessee game being shown nationally, or only local coverage? I have a good friend who I told I'd cheer for Tennessee. (no, it's not AE)

/tk
Old 11-24-2007, 12:38 PM   #235
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Heh. I'll take whatever we can get, to be able to salvage SOMETHING from this season...

/tk
Old 11-24-2007, 12:41 PM   #236
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Is the Tennessee game being shown nationally, or only local coverage? I have a good friend who I told I'd cheer for Tennessee. (no, it's not AE)

/tk

I have it on CBS.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 12:46 PM   #237
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

I just looked it up, looks like we'd go to the Humanitarian Bowl in Boise, Idaho. As of now, that looks to be played against Boise St.

http://www.sportsline.com/collegefoo...ls/predictions

Something tells me I won't be going to that game...

/tk
Old 11-24-2007, 12:48 PM   #238
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Is the Tennessee game being shown nationally, or only local coverage?

CBS, I think it's their national game but not 100% sure about that.

(I think they're national, with ABC doing regional games in the 330 slot)
Old 11-24-2007, 12:50 PM   #239
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
I have it on CBS.

Ah, so do I, thanks.

/tk
Old 11-24-2007, 01:01 PM   #240
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Great YAC by TE Brad Cottam leads to Ainge-to-Taylor TD.
14-0 Tennessee, 4 mins left 1st quarter.
Old 11-24-2007, 01:09 PM   #241
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
Hawaii only gets $50,000 per year to recruit?

It sounds like the facilities are in horrible shape. If so, Jones has done an incredible job with such little resources at his disposal.

$50,000 seems like alot to send out letters that read -

Please consider Hawaii. It is 80 and we have women in bikinis.

Sincerely,

June Jones
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 01:15 PM   #242
Celeval
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
$50,000 seems like alot to send out letters that read -

Please consider Hawaii. It is 80 and we have women in bikinis.

Sincerely,

June Jones

You have to figure Hawaii has as many official visits by players "just because" as anyone in the country.
Old 11-24-2007, 01:48 PM   #243
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Another TD for the Terps makes it 37-0 with just under 10:30 left in the game.

/tk
Old 11-24-2007, 01:59 PM   #244
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Tennessee now 17-7, but Kentucky converts on a fake punt to keep the ball with about 4 mins left in the half. (Although now it seems like it wasn't a fake but rather a bad snap that the punter salvaged to avoid a possible block)

And USF is now killing Pitt 34-14 with 9 mins left.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 11-24-2007 at 02:00 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 02:13 PM   #245
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

After Kentucky punted, the teams traded interceptions, leading to Ainge-to-Hancock for a 24-7 Tennessee lead with 17 secs left in the half.
Old 11-24-2007, 02:16 PM   #246
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balldog View Post
MNC: Georgia vs. Ohio State.

Never going to happen. Kentucky has no chance versus the Vols, and UGA is going to be lucky to beat Tech. The Tech game has "trap" written all over it, and GT is always a snake in the grass for any ranked team when they are unranked, but especially to the Dawgs.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 02:21 PM   #247
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

With the win, the Terps become bowl eligible, I assume the Humanitarian Bowl. Hey, it's some post-season play, surprising to me after watching us play this year and the way it started, plus our injuries....I'll take what I can get.

/tk
Old 11-24-2007, 02:27 PM   #248
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
The Tech game has "trap" written all over it, and GT is always a snake in the grass for any ranked team when they are unranked, but especially to the Dawgs.

I'll see your Munson-esque doom & gloom fears & raise you a "how in the hell is GT going to beat Georgia with a moron coaching, a mediocre wannabe for an OC, and a guy with a lower QB rating than Reggie Ball under center?"

We barely beat UNC for cryin' out loud. I can't remember when I thought we had less of a chance of winning this game, sick to my stomach as that makes me.
Old 11-24-2007, 02:30 PM   #249
JeeberD
General Manager

The Miners are playing for nothing but pride today, but are keeping it close against a very tough UCF team. UCF was up 16-0, but an amazing one-handed TD grab by Fred Rouse gave us seven, and after UCF missed a FG just before the end of the half, a hook-and-ladder play got us far enough downfield to nail a 48 yard FG by our Groza Award finalist kicker, Jose Martinez. 16-10 UCF at the half.

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 02:41 PM   #250
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
I'll see your Munson-esque doom & gloom fears & raise you a "how in the hell is GT going to beat Georgia with a moron coaching, a mediocre wannabe for an OC, and a guy with a lower QB rating than Reggie Ball under center?"

We barely beat UNC for cryin' out loud. I can't remember when I thought we had less of a chance of winning this game, sick to my stomach as that makes me.

Because this is Georgia-Georgia Tech.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote