Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-29-2008, 02:23 PM   #201
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
This FA is out of control. Way too much money going around for mid to lower level talent.
Now I am beginning to understand Ted Thompson's theory of avoiding the first month of FA and stocking up on picks. Paying some of these 28-32 year old FAs big money doesn't seem like the best move.
Old 02-29-2008, 02:36 PM   #202
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf View Post
man, the jags are batting a thousand getting these wideouts

Troy Williamson and now Jerry Porter.

uh, ok.

I'm pissed off at my team. I love Porter, and he's a fellow Mountaineer, but he's old and we paid THIRTY MILLION for him, and he's argubaly over the hill in a major way.

I mean, if you are going to overpay for an older WR< why don't you really get a #1 like Moss and quit this flirting stuff.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 02:38 PM   #203
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
This FA is out of control. Way too much money going around for mid to lower level talent.

There's a minimum cap to what teas can spend, so they have to spend up to the minimum amount, even when teh FAs aren;t that great.

EDIT: I'm starting to doubt this. I rememberd it, but now that I analyze it, i'm not sure anymore. Someone know this for sure?

Last edited by Abe Sargent : 02-29-2008 at 02:39 PM.
Old 02-29-2008, 02:40 PM   #204
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Here's another Lito rumor I just read:

Quote:
You hear things working the phones. And here's just about the wildest rumor I've heard ...

Lito Sheppard to the Cardinals. And ... wait for it ... Larry Fitzgerald to Philly.

That's all conditional on the Eagles signing Patriots free agent Asante Samuel, something that several reports, including this one, have as a done deal.

The idea makes sense of several fronts. First, Arizona is planning to move former first-round pick Antrell Rolle inside to safety, where he'd be paired with Adrian Wilson, and the Cardinals have been quiet on free-agent corners despite a looming need. Second, the Eagles have a considerable amount of cap room -- they would even after signing Samuel -- and the Cardinals would create space to extend Sheppard by dealing Fitz. Third, the Eagles' offense has been in perpetual need of a big-time wideout, save for the one great season they got out of T.O.

If all this happens (UPDATE: Yes, I do know it would all be contingent on a Fitzgerald renegotiation), the NFC East would get even more interesting than it already was, with the one team that didn't make the playoffs getting a little bit better at one important position and a lot better at another one. Do I expect this to happen? Not at this point. But it sure is interesting to hear.

Fitz is getting $31M the next 2 years though, so it'd have to be a pretty insane contract for him from the Eagles if this actually goes down.
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 02:46 PM   #205
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Rogers to Cinncy. That works on SOOOOOO many levels.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 02:58 PM   #206
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

LB Kawika Mitchell signs with the Bills. I think he benefited quite a bit from the awesome defensive ends the Giants had last year but a good signing nonetheless.

Supposedly, Jags DT Marcus Stroud is in Buffalo talking with the team. He's still Jags property but has evidently been put on the block.
NoSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 03:15 PM   #207
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSkillz View Post
LB Kawika Mitchell signs with the Bills. I think he benefited quite a bit from the awesome defensive ends the Giants had last year but a good signing nonetheless.

I was never really sold on Kawika Mitchell so I don't care much that he's gone. Safety Gibril Wilson, though, will probably be gone too and that one hurts. With all the money being spent on defensive backs this FA, his price keeps going up and there are too many teams interested in him for the Giants to be able to afford to keep him.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 03:37 PM   #208
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Rogers to Cinncy. That works on SOOOOOO many levels.

The Lions get a 3rd and a 5th round pick for Rogers.

Given Millen's draft record getting more picks is really not a good idea.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 03:39 PM   #209
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Getting players in a trade (Tatum Bell? Foster?) didn't work too well either.

Yes, there is a minimum teams are required to spend.
Old 02-29-2008, 03:44 PM   #210
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
Getting players in a trade (Tatum Bell? Foster?) didn't work too well either.

No. Not so much...

Quote:
Yes, there is a minimum teams are required to spend.

Isn't it something like 84% of the cap, so something close to $100 million.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 02-29-2008, 04:21 PM   #211
Travis
Pro Rookie

Haven't noticed it in here yet, but buddy of mine (Eagles fan) just emailed me saying the Eagles just announced the signing of Samuels to a 6 year deal.
Old 02-29-2008, 04:27 PM   #212
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
Haven't noticed it in here yet, but buddy of mine (Eagles fan) just emailed me saying the Eagles just announced the signing of Samuels to a 6 year deal.

I just heard that on the news as well.
Old 02-29-2008, 04:31 PM   #213
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
I just heard that on the news as well.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7856010?MSNHPHMA
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 04:31 PM   #214
Travis
Pro Rookie

Anybody heard firm numbers? I'm mostly curious as I think that contract might set the market for a long term deal for Trufant.
Old 02-29-2008, 04:40 PM   #215
JS19
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
I was never really sold on Kawika Mitchell so I don't care much that he's gone. Safety Gibril Wilson, though, will probably be gone too and that one hurts. With all the money being spent on defensive backs this FA, his price keeps going up and there are too many teams interested in him for the Giants to be able to afford to keep him.

Not gonna lie, I liked Mitchell and was hoping they brought him back if it was a reasonable price. Wilson, however, although I would love for him to be come back, he won't be worth probably half of what he's is gonna get on the market.

Any word on Shockey's future?
JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 04:56 PM   #216
Travis
Pro Rookie

Apparently 6 years, $57 million for Samuels including $20 million guaranteed and $32 million in the first 3 years.

And the countdown to the Seahawks trading Trufant begins now.
Old 02-29-2008, 06:04 PM   #217
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Glad to see the Eagles use some of their cap room on a quality player.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 06:41 PM   #218
Thomkal
Head Coach

I just cannot believe that Cardinals-Eagles trade rumor to have any basis in reality. I know they are having cap problems due to his contract, but I just cannot see them trading Fitz. He's their best receiver, one of the best in the league, and they struggled to find enough receivers as it was last season due to injuries. I think this would be a horrible move for them to make.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 08:21 PM   #219
Thomkal
Head Coach

So I went looking to see if I could find anything from the Cardinal brass about a Fitzgerald trade, and as recent as the scouting combine, their VP of Player Personnel was saying Fitz absolutely would be back in Arizona this year. They are trying to restructure his contract, but he has two years left on his remaining one, and if they can't renegotiate, plan on keeping him for those two years. Plus they just cut their #3 WR Bryant Johnston today.

So doesn't sound like they will trade him, thank the football gods.
Old 02-29-2008, 09:19 PM   #220
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
This offseason is starting to remind me of some of the recent complaints I've seen in FOF MP Leagues: Plenty of teams with huge cap space and not that many FA's leading to huge contracts being offered to lesser talents.

It'd be even worse in FOF MP if you were allowed to bank cap space with likely to be achieved incentives like they do in the NFL.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 09:48 PM   #221
JS19
College Prospect

Wow. Gibril Wilson is now the 3rd highest paid safety in the NFL, 6 yrs 39M with the Raiders. How the hell are the Raiders allowed to be a franchise? I always liked Wilson, seemed like he had/has lots of potential, but never fulfilled it. All the luck in the world to him and i'm glad he got his $$$.
JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 10:35 PM   #222
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Shaun Rogers to the Browns for Leigh Bodden and a 3rd round pick.

Fire Ron Lee.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 10:36 PM   #223
dime
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS19 View Post
Wow. Gibril Wilson is now the 3rd highest paid safety in the NFL, 6 yrs 39M with the Raiders. How the hell are the Raiders allowed to be a franchise? I always liked Wilson, seemed like he had/has lots of potential, but never fulfilled it. All the luck in the world to him and i'm glad he got his $$$.

raiders must be done with schweigert...I didn't think he was the worst safety in the world but he didn't seem to fit with whatever they were trying to do last year. wilson and hugg are an athletic pair of safeties but I don't think it suddenly makes their defense that much better than it was yesterday.
dime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 10:42 PM   #224
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazFTW View Post
Shaun Rogers to the Browns for Leigh Bodden and a 3rd round pick.

The Cleveland management must have something else going on the weekend of the draft.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 11:12 PM   #225
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS19 View Post
Any word on Shockey's future?

He's not costing the Giants much in cap space, so the Giants really have no financial reason to trade him. All I've heard is that a couple of teams have called asking about him, but no negotiations to trade him have started. Reese doesn't seem to have any interest in trading him, either.
Old 02-29-2008, 11:19 PM   #226
sabotai
General Manager

Giants LB Reggie Torbor (mostly backup, started in place of Kiwanuka) was signed by Miami. And the Giant's 2003 first round bust Will Joseph is officially gone.

Looks like the Giants are not going after any big LB signings to replace Torbor or Mitchell and are going to try to have Gerris Wilkerson start in place of Mitchell.
Old 03-01-2008, 12:18 AM   #227
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Glad to see the Eagles use some of their cap room on a quality player.

Agreed...just curious about what is going to happen with Sheppard. I wouldn't be adverse to seeing him stay but if he is indeed disgruntled then dealing him for a few picks makes sense. We could use some youth in the secondary.
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 06:43 AM   #228
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
The Lions get a 3rd and a 5th round pick for Rogers.

Given Millen's draft record getting more picks is really not a good idea.

Just read that the trade to Cinci was denied by the league for something relating to the salary cap. So Detroit turned around and traded him to the Browns for a 3rd round pick and CB Leigh Bodden. The Cleveland GM is by all rights pretty decent, so how do you explain giving up a young starting CB for an overweight DT and then convince yourself to throw in a 3rd round pick? I gotta give props to Millen on this one. Meanwhile, Cleveland has no picks this draft until round 4.
Old 03-01-2008, 09:40 AM   #229
st.cronin
General Manager

Sorry if this has already been mentioned, but Miami signs Josh McCown. Anybody know what they're planning as far as QB?

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 09:47 AM   #230
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
Sorry if this has already been mentioned, but Miami signs Josh McCown. Anybody know what they're planning as far as QB?

Sign 10 QB's and see which ones creep?

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 03-01-2008 at 09:47 AM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 10:13 AM   #231
mattlanta
Mascot

Miami is most likely going to see how Beck develops. I don't know if he's really a Parcells type of player, but I think Beck will be given a chance to start in that organization instead of drafting someone like Matt Ryan or Joe Flacco.

I was actually expecting Parcells to go after Chad Pennington due to Pennington's role in New York and how loyal Parcells is to his past players. For example, Parcells tried getting Keyshawn Johnson out of retirement.
mattlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 10:14 AM   #232
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Just read that the trade to Cinci was denied by the league for something relating to the salary cap. So Detroit turned around and traded him to the Browns for a 3rd round pick and CB Leigh Bodden. The Cleveland GM is by all rights pretty decent, so how do you explain giving up a young starting CB for an overweight DT and then convince yourself to throw in a 3rd round pick? I gotta give props to Millen on this one. Meanwhile, Cleveland has no picks this draft until round 4.

Much, MUCH better trade for the Lions. Did Millen actually do something right for once?

Probably not.
Old 03-01-2008, 11:02 AM   #233
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
Much, MUCH better trade for the Lions. Did Millen actually do something right for once?

Probably not.

I agree. I'd much rather have a lower 3rd round pick (Cleveland's) and an actual starter at a position of serious need than a higher 3rd (Cinci's pick) and a 5th rounder who is likely to be cut during training camp.
Old 03-01-2008, 11:07 AM   #234
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post

Probably not.

I agree. But remember, many offseason moves Millen has made have looked very good at the time, but there is this tricky thing called a football game that seems to get in the way of success for Millen.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 11:45 AM   #235
damnMikeBrown
College Benchwarmer

I was annoyed that we were going to be importing other teams malcontents. I mean, we do such a great job breeding our own, I didn't see the need to go outside of our own blood lines to do it. Having said that, Rogers being a potential all-pro is absolutely the answer to the question..well, who's our DT?

Now..fast forward to we can't even get the trade done. I'm annoyed we're bringing in another idiot, but now I'm PISSED that at the ineptitude that can't even properly get another malcontent here.

Damn Mike Brown
damnMikeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 12:28 PM   #236
Bad-example
College Starter

Justin Smith to the 49ers. The 49ers already have a decent secondary. Coupled with the Dontarrious Thomas signing, the 49ers appear close to assembling a pretty solid defense.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 04:18 PM   #237
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

Bills complete the trade with Jacksonville to get Marcus Stroud. I wonder if Stroud is going to hold out for a renegotiated contract now...
NoSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 04:36 PM   #238
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Woot Woot!

Alan Faneca to the Jets, 5 years, 40 mil.
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 04:54 PM   #239
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

WR Berrian to Vikings on 6 years deal, no terms announced.
Vinatieri for Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 05:10 PM   #240
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsIn06 View Post
Woot Woot!

damn I was really hoping he would sign with the Cards given his history with the coaches there.
Old 03-01-2008, 05:35 PM   #241
st.cronin
General Manager

Donte Stallworth to the Browns, 7 years 35 million dollars.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 05:49 PM   #242
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Jacques Reeves got 5 years for $20 million from the Texans.

Fire Ron Lee.
Old 03-01-2008, 05:52 PM   #243
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsIn06 View Post
Woot Woot!

Hopefully he doesn't pull a porter. That's not even that much money, I wish the steelers weren't so goddamn cheap sometimes. And would quit payign worthless guys too much money.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 05:58 PM   #244
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Sign 10 QB's and see which ones creep?

That was the Cowboys plan until they found Romo

Old 03-01-2008, 06:17 PM   #245
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

Jaguars pick up Drayton Florence from the Chargers.
Interesting to see if Brian Williams or Rashean Mathis move to safety, to help out Reggie Nelson.

Maybe Williams or Mathis dealt?
tucker rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 06:18 PM   #246
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

Maybe the Jaguars could make a trade to get Lito Shepard.
Old 03-01-2008, 08:08 PM   #247
Galaxy
Coordinator

What did the Bills give up to get Stroud?
Old 03-01-2008, 09:25 PM   #248
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
What did the Bills give up to get Stroud?

A 3rd and 5th round '08 draft pick.
Old 03-01-2008, 09:26 PM   #249
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Hmmm, Lance Briggs stays with the Bears.

Fire Ron Lee.
Old 03-01-2008, 09:29 PM   #250
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazFTW View Post
Hmmm, Lance Briggs stays with the Bears.

Woot!