Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-11-2007, 12:10 PM   #201
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Out of curiousity and asking something not having to do with anything in particular, but how is Mizzou's kicker? Is he one of those "booms it out of the end zone" or does he kick it to the 5 every time? Just askin'

SI

With them moving the kickoff back 5 yards this season, I haven't seen any kicker reliably kick it out of the end zone more than about half the time.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 12:15 PM   #202
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Their SOS was 106th last week. Oregon's was about 16th. I think a 1 loss (a close loss at that) Oregon team will get in over Kansas.

Edit: Actually Oregon's is 13th in the country.

Just by playing Oklahoma State, Kansas' SOS moved up to 65, according to Football Frontier. So if they can beat Mizzou and OU, their SOS will easily be in the top 30. I don't think the voters (2/3rds of the BCS component) will drop an undefeated Big 12 Champion out of the BCS title game.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 12:17 PM   #203
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Just by playing Oklahoma State, Kansas' SOS moved up to 65, according to Football Frontier. So if they can beat Mizzou and OU, their SOS will easily be in the top 30. I don't think the voters (2/3rds of the BCS component) will drop an undefeated Big 12 Champion out of the BCS title game.

I think the SOS of 106 was from Sagarin. This week, they're up to 97 after Oklahoma State.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/fbt07.htm

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 12:18 PM   #204
larrymcg421
Head Coach

I'm kinda rooting for Kansas to go undefeated and be left out. Nothing against Kansas (they've been a great story this year), but anything that erodes the validity of the BCS is good for me.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner

Last edited by larrymcg421 : 11-11-2007 at 12:18 PM.
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 12:35 PM   #205
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
With them moving the kickoff back 5 yards this season, I haven't seen any kicker reliably kick it out of the end zone more than about half the time.

Yep, unless it's wind aided. Maybe kicking/punting it out of bounds would be better.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 12:37 PM   #206
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
I'm kinda rooting for Kansas to go undefeated and be left out. Nothing against Kansas (they've been a great story this year), but anything that erodes the validity of the BCS is good for me.

This is of no use, though. The NCAA loves the BCS because of the attention it gets, good or bad. To be honest, the NCAA probably doesn't want Kansas in there because of ratings, if they get left out as an undefeated it'd be a win/win. They get a higher rated championship game and the attention that surrounds Kansas being left out.

The BCS isn't going anywhere.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 12:42 PM   #207
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I think the SOS of 106 was from Sagarin. This week, they're up to 97 after Oklahoma State.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/fbt07.htm

SI

Yes, that is the SOS I was talking about.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 12:43 PM   #208
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
This is of no use, though. The NCAA loves the BCS because of the attention it gets, good or bad. To be honest, the NCAA probably doesn't want Kansas in there because of ratings, if they get left out as an undefeated it'd be a win/win. They get a higher rated championship game and the attention that surrounds Kansas being left out.

The BCS isn't going anywhere.

Would Oregon really provide better ratings than Kansas? I'm not so sure about that.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 12:46 PM   #209
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Do we need to take the way back machine to after App State? All (t)OSU fans did was talk shit and rightfully so, but don't be so uppity because you got JUICED

It was everyone's fans, not just OSU.

By the way, the horrible Big Ten has 10 of its 11 teams bowl eligible - not too shabby.
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 12:48 PM   #210
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
All those Ohio State players who felt the need to act tough? You had 60 minutes to protect your home field and you didn't, so shut the fuck up, watch the guys celebrate on your field, remember that feeling, walk into your locker room, and think about how you blew your shot at the title again.

Instead of Jenkins, with his helmet on, taking swings at an Illini player who didn't have a helmet on. Real tough guy.

Tell me of a time that the away team jumped on the home team's logo and nothing happened.
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 12:56 PM   #211
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
Would Oregon really provide better ratings than Kansas? I'm not so sure about that.

An Oregon team with Heisman Trophy winner Dennis Dixon probably would quite easily. There's also Oklahoma and West Virginia hanging around, both would be much more attractive opponents in the bowl's eyes.

Not knocking Kansas here, I'm just saying that regardless of what happens its a win/win for the BCS. However, if Kansas wins out they get into the championship game easily. I'd be suprised if they don't overtake LSU for #1 in the human polls after wins over Missouri and Oklahoma.

The controversy the BCS creates actually drawns more viewers and gets the sport more attention. Praying for a team to get screwed over in hopes that the BCS goes away is useless. It isn't going anywhere.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 12:57 PM   #212
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balldog View Post

By the way, the horrible Big Ten has 10 of its 11 teams bowl eligible - not too shabby.

I know. I am impressed. The teams are all playing well minus Minnesota. Should be fun to see how many jump into bowls since C-USA probably won't meet the bowl tie ins.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 01:02 PM   #213
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Tell me of a time that the away team jumped on the home team's logo and nothing happened.

It wouldn't be a story if nothing happened, we would never see it.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 07:00 AM   #214
Butter
Coordinator

I kind of like being on the back end of this thread on Monday, it lets me respond to everything that went on.

Listen, BUCKEYE FANS. Here's a li'l tip from me to you. Take the loss, take the hatred from other fans. Ingest it. Swirl it around a bit. Think about how YOU feel about the Steelers. Or the Patriots. Or the Yankees. That's how people feel about your team right now. It's natural. Just listen to the abuse. Walk away, and smile. Just take the abuse, and understand it. You hate the frontrunners because their fans are so smug and their team so arrogant, etc. etc. Whatever. Doesn't matter. Our team is still 10-1 and fighting to go to the Rose Bowl. You know what, we lose to Michigan, we're STILL going to a New Year's Day bowl game. So don't listen. Don't argue. It makes you look bad. Enjoy the winning. This team has exceeded expectations, and if they beat Michigan, they own the Big Ten yet again, in a season that was supposed to be a rebuilding one. Fucking enjoy it!
Old 11-12-2007, 07:03 AM   #215
TheOhioStateUniversity
High School Varsity

Indeed.
Old 11-12-2007, 07:30 AM   #216
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Quote:
FSU at BC last week.
VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 08:34 AM   #217
Butter
Coordinator

Will say this about the OSU-Illinois post-game shenanigans: Malcolm Jenkins deserves a suspension.
Old 11-12-2007, 08:51 AM   #218
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Is he the one that took a swing at an Illini player that didn't have a helmet on?
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 09:06 AM   #219
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrIllini View Post
I love that folks still like to lean on this. Illinois is 8-0 this season when leading at halftime. Ohio State ran 3 offensive plays in the entire 4th quarter in today's game.

I'd call that pretty good coaching. *shurg*

He coached well last night, but there were several questionable calls that he made against Michigan when they played.

Zook isn't a great game day coach. He's not as bad as he was made out to be at Florida. That said, he is exactly what Illinois needs right now, and with the exception of Tressell there aren't any great coaches in the Big 10 right now.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 09:13 AM   #220
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
The controversy the BCS creates actually drawns more viewers and gets the sport more attention. Praying for a team to get screwed over in hopes that the BCS goes away is useless. It isn't going anywhere.

I disagree. I can't remember the last time I watched the actual title game. Let me take that back, I've watched every title game that had OSU in it. The others I have not watched because I abhor the system and will not support it.

Previously, I watched bowl games religiously and frequently had two or more TVs set up on New Year's to watch them all.
Old 11-12-2007, 09:14 AM   #221
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:

Agreed. The Big 10 is not as bad as everyone has been saying this year. Nor is the SEC as everyone would have you believe. The best conference in the nation this year is the Pac-10.
Old 11-12-2007, 09:18 AM   #222
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
Agreed. The Big 10 is not as bad as everyone has been saying this year. Nor is the SEC as everyone would have you believe. The best conference in the nation this year is the Pac-10.

I totally argree.
Old 11-12-2007, 09:22 AM   #223
Jas_lov
College Starter

An undefeated Big 12 team should get in over another 1 loss team. Kansas will have to beat #4 Oklahoma and #5 Missouri to do it so I think they'll get in over 1 loss Oregon if they both win out.

Can the same be said for Oklahoma and Missouri if one of them wins out and beats #3 Kansas with Oregon also winning out? Will either one loss Big 12 team leap frog the one loss Pac 10 team?
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 09:28 AM   #224
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post
Can the same be said for Oklahoma and Missouri if one of them wins out and beats #3 Kansas with Oregon also winning out? Will either one loss Big 12 team leap frog the one loss Pac 10 team?

This is a big flaw in the system for me.

Do we really know how good Kansas is. Yes, they've beaten all the teams laid out in front of them, but let's say they lose to Missouri. What happens then? Missouri gets a big boost from a team that might not be that great. Kansas might be a great team, they might sweep Oklahoma and Missouri, but what happens if they are not great? Missouri or Oklahoma get a huge boost from beating them, and will probably jump Oregon.

Out of all the teams I have watched this year, Oregon is the best. But, I have a feeling they are going to be on the outside looking in at the national title game.
Old 11-12-2007, 09:34 AM   #225
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I think if LSU wins out they are in the title game. Same with Kansas. Oregon needs a Kansas loss and I think they might need another loss by Oklahoma.

I think who gets into the title game has a lot to do with perception. Kansas and Missouri are not perceived to be big football schools, so they will have more trouble leapfrogging Oregon with 1 loss than Oklahoma would.

Ohio State is finished unless a lot happens above them. As unfair as it might seem, voters are going to be weary to put them in the title game after what happened last year.

West Virginia needs Kansas, Missouri, Oklahoma, and Oregon/LSU to lose to get in.
Old 11-12-2007, 09:36 AM   #226
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Agreed. The Big 10 is not as bad as everyone has been saying this year.

I disagree. I think the Big 10 is as bad as everyone has been saying. The fact that half of the Big Ten's teams are bowl eligible just speaks of the overall mediocrity in the conference.

Who did anyone from the Big Ten beat out of conference?

Let's examine all the Big Ten's non-conference games...

Michigan beat Notre Dame and Eastern Michigan at home, but, as we all know, got beat by App. State and destroyed by Oregon.

Northwestern beat Nevada and Northeastern (I have no idea who they are), but lost to Duke. Duke.

Indiana beat Indiana State, Western Michigan, and Akron. Impressive.

Michigan State beat UAB, Bowling Green, Pittsburgh, and Notre Dame. Wow.

Minnesota's only win of the year was against Miami of Ohio, but they lost to traditional powerhouses such as North Dakota State and Florida Atlantic. Uh...

Ohio State's win of Washington at Washington (3-7) was probably the Big Ten's best out of conference win all season. Huge.

Penn State beat Temple, Florida International, Notre Dame, and Buffalo. A Murderer's Row if there ever was one.

Wisconsin took care of business against Washington State, UNLV, The Citadel, and Northern Illinois. Well done, Badgers.

Illinois beat Western Illinois (the Big Ten has dominated every aspect of this state), Syracuse, Ball State, but lost to Missouri (it was close though). Right now, Illinois' 6 point loss to Missouri is the Big Ten's second most impressive out of conference game.

Iowa beat up on Northern Illinois and Syracuse, but lost to the might Cyclones of Iowa State. In-state rivalry. Records mean nothing when these two go head-to-head.

Purdue beat Toledo, Eastern Illinois, Central Michigan, and Notre Dame. Sound familiar?

Yes, these teams can only play who was on the schedule, but as far as I can see, the Big Ten's two "best" non-coference games was a win against a poor Washington team and a near loss to Missouri. The rest of the non-conference games were against a bunch of small, directional schools in Illinois and Michigan, a handful of other MAC teams, and the poopiest Notre Dame team of all time.

The Big Ten may not be as bad as some people have said, but there is really no evidence that the conference is all that good. I think it's been a very down year for the Big Ten. Obviously, we will have a better sense come bowl season, but I predict a number of embarassing showings by Big Ten teams.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 09:37 AM   #227
Jas_lov
College Starter

I think you might be right Warhammer. Oregon is probably one of the top two teams in the country and deserves to be in the title game if they win out, but it's not very well lined up for them. They need a Big 12 scrub to upset one of those three teams otherwise one of them will probably jump Oregon. If Kansas wins out they do deserve it over Oregon though.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 09:43 AM   #228
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
I kind of like being on the back end of this thread on Monday, it lets me respond to everything that went on.

Listen, BUCKEYE FANS. Here's a li'l tip from me to you. Take the loss, take the hatred from other fans. Ingest it. Swirl it around a bit. Think about how YOU feel about the Steelers. Or the Patriots. Or the Yankees. That's how people feel about your team right now. It's natural. Just listen to the abuse. Walk away, and smile. Just take the abuse, and understand it. You hate the frontrunners because their fans are so smug and their team so arrogant, etc. etc. Whatever. Doesn't matter. Our team is still 10-1 and fighting to go to the Rose Bowl. You know what, we lose to Michigan, we're STILL going to a New Year's Day bowl game. So don't listen. Don't argue. It makes you look bad. Enjoy the winning. This team has exceeded expectations, and if they beat Michigan, they own the Big Ten yet again, in a season that was supposed to be a rebuilding one. Fucking enjoy it!

Word. All this pissing and moaning about Illinois, Wisconsin, and Appalachian State takes away from THE GAME, where the winner takes the Big Ten. It's games like this that make the rivalry so great.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 09:53 AM   #229
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I disagree. I think the Big 10 is as bad as everyone has been saying. The fact that half of the Big Ten's teams are bowl eligible just speaks of the overall mediocrity in the conference.

Who did anyone from the Big Ten beat out of conference?

Let's examine all the Big Ten's non-conference games...

Michigan beat Notre Dame and Eastern Michigan at home, but, as we all know, got beat by App. State and destroyed by Oregon.

Northwestern beat Nevada and Northeastern (I have no idea who they are), but lost to Duke. Duke.

Indiana beat Indiana State, Western Michigan, and Akron. Impressive.

Michigan State beat UAB, Bowling Green, Pittsburgh, and Notre Dame. Wow.

Minnesota's only win of the year was against Miami of Ohio, but they lost to traditional powerhouses such as North Dakota State and Florida Atlantic. Uh...

Ohio State's win of Washington at Washington (3-7) was probably the Big Ten's best out of conference win all season. Huge.

Penn State beat Temple, Florida International, Notre Dame, and Buffalo. A Murderer's Row if there ever was one.

Wisconsin took care of business against Washington State, UNLV, The Citadel, and Northern Illinois. Well done, Badgers.

Illinois beat Western Illinois (the Big Ten has dominated every aspect of this state), Syracuse, Ball State, but lost to Missouri (it was close though). Right now, Illinois' 6 point loss to Missouri is the Big Ten's second most impressive out of conference game.

Iowa beat up on Northern Illinois and Syracuse, but lost to the might Cyclones of Iowa State. In-state rivalry. Records mean nothing when these two go head-to-head.

Purdue beat Toledo, Eastern Illinois, Central Michigan, and Notre Dame. Sound familiar?

Yes, these teams can only play who was on the schedule, but as far as I can see, the Big Ten's two "best" non-coference games was a win against a poor Washington team and a near loss to Missouri. The rest of the non-conference games were against a bunch of small, directional schools in Illinois and Michigan, a handful of other MAC teams, and the poopiest Notre Dame team of all time.

The Big Ten may not be as bad as some people have said, but there is really no evidence that the conference is all that good. I think it's been a very down year for the Big Ten. Obviously, we will have a better sense come bowl season, but I predict a number of embarassing showings by Big Ten teams.

You can say the exact same thing about the SEC. The big non-conference games were against Va. Tech, Louisville, Cal (lost), Ok. State, Kansas St., West Virginia (lost) and FSU (lost).
Old 11-12-2007, 09:56 AM   #230
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I honestly don't believe that LSU is a clear cut #1 as people might think. I did this comparison last week on the podcast, but if you look at the wins that Oregon and LSU have and compare them, you can argue that Oregon should be #1. This is just my opinion please feel free to argue. Here are their top 5 wins...

Oregon - Arizona State, USC, Michigan, Fresno State, Houston

LSU - Florida, Virginia Tech, Auburn, Alabama, South Carolina

First looking at their only losses...you can say that Cal and Kentucky are a wash, but I'd give Cal the slight edge.

South Carolina over Houston
Alabama over Fresno State
Michigan over Auburn (slight edge and this is including a healthy Henne and Hart)
USC over Virginia Tech
Florida over Arizona State (real close here)

Now if you add in the final games of the schedule where Oregon still has Oregon State and UCLA while LSU's only tough one is Arkansas, things get even muddier since we can eliminate Houston and (maybe) Fresno State for Oregon. What it comes down to is that LSU will get that extra boost if they win the SEC title game. This is a year where that title game becomes very important since there are so many teams at 1 loss and everyone is so close.
Old 11-12-2007, 09:59 AM   #231
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
You can say the exact same thing about the SEC. The big non-conference games were against Va. Tech, Louisville, Cal (lost), Ok. State, Kansas St., West Virginia (lost) and FSU (lost).

I find the SEC's big non-conference games much more impressive, even with the losses.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 11-12-2007, 10:02 AM   #232
Warhammer
Pro Starter

I would say something else about Oregon, they have been dominant. In most the games I have watched Oregon, they have bludgeoned opponents.

LSU has looked great at times, and then have been lucky to escape with wins in many places.
Old 11-12-2007, 10:09 AM   #233
cschex
High School Varsity

[quote=bsak16;1591783]
First looking at their only losses...you can say that Cal and Kentucky are a wash, but I'd give Cal the slight edge.
QUOTE]

As an LSU alum, I'm very biased but I think losing to UK in triple OT on the road vs losing to Cal at home makes up any difference in the two teams (and between UK and Cal, I think they are very much a wash, i don't see any advantage for Cal). That being said, there is little doubt in my mind that Oregon and LSU are the two best teams and I would love to see them in the title game, though if one has to get left out, of course I don't want it to be LSU. It might be unfair but as a fan, I want my team to win a national championship.
cschex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 10:11 AM   #234
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
I find the SEC's big non-conference games much more impressive, even with the losses.

So what are we saying? If the point of non-conference games is to give us a barometer of how conferences stack up, we can say two things about the SEC, they are better than the Big East, and they are better than the Big 12. I could tell that from watching the teams play. Other than that, I don't know.

That is actually part of my problem with having three Big 12 teams in the top 5, who the heck have they played? Their best win is over Illinois. Their next best win is Miami-Florida, or Fresno State.

It drives me nuts with everyone having a big circle jerk over the SEC, but outside of LSU, who is really all that good in the conference?
Old 11-12-2007, 10:14 AM   #235
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
So what are we saying? If the point of non-conference games is to give us a barometer of how conferences stack up, we can say two things about the SEC, they are better than the Big East, and they are better than the Big 12. I could tell that from watching the teams play. Other than that, I don't know.

That is actually part of my problem with having three Big 12 teams in the top 5, who the heck have they played? Their best win is over Illinois. Their next best win is Miami-Florida, or Fresno State.

It drives me nuts with everyone having a big circle jerk over the SEC, but outside of LSU, who is really all that good in the conference?

Check your premises. The point of non-conference games are for big schools to make money while tuning up for conference play.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 10:16 AM   #236
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

I have no idea. I really wasn't commenting on the SEC. I have watched several SEC games this year (bit and pieces) and I think Florida and Georgia have looked good. Are they that good, who knows. But they've looked pretty impressive at times.

I was really more focusing on the fact that I think the Big Ten is having a down year. I hope they can rally and put up some solid performances in some bowl games, but I have my doubts.
Old 11-12-2007, 10:43 AM   #237
Tigercat
College Starter

Florida is the key to gaging the SEC's strength, IMO.

You have a defending national championship team, with a guy that is regarded as one of the best coaches in the nation right now, with someone who is regarded as perhaps the most talented skill position player in the nation (Harvin), and with the best or second best QB in the nation right now (Tebow)

So Florida, despite their youth, should at least easily win their half of a major conference right? But instead they have to claw their way to the championship game, and probably won't make it. They have lost three SEC games and none of them are because they played particularly bad.

When a well coached, very talented, defending national championship team can play well but still have three losses hung on them in conference, that shows conference strength in my eyes.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 10:50 AM   #238
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
Check your premises. The point of non-conference games are for big schools to make money while tuning up for conference play.

Understood, I was commenting from the fan/pollster point of view.
Old 11-12-2007, 11:04 AM   #239
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
I have no idea. I really wasn't commenting on the SEC. I have watched several SEC games this year (bit and pieces) and I think Florida and Georgia have looked good. Are they that good, who knows. But they've looked pretty impressive at times.

I was really more focusing on the fact that I think the Big Ten is having a down year. I hope they can rally and put up some solid performances in some bowl games, but I have my doubts.

Georgia is a complete mystery to a lot of people, which Georgia, or for that matter Tennessee is going to show up in any game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
Florida is the key to gaging the SEC's strength, IMO.

You have a defending national championship team, with a guy that is regarded as one of the best coaches in the nation right now, with someone who is regarded as perhaps the most talented skill position player in the nation (Harvin), and with the best or second best QB in the nation right now (Tebow)

So Florida, despite their youth, should at least easily win their half of a major conference right? But instead they have to claw their way to the championship game, and probably won't make it. They have lost three SEC games and none of them are because they played particularly bad.

When a well coached, very talented, defending national championship team can play well but still have three losses hung on them in conference, that shows conference strength in my eyes.

So says an SEC homer.

Florida lost some key components off that team from last year. Sure, they still have a good team, but you are basically saying that since they won last year, they should win their side of the conference this year. Being good last year does not equate to success this year.

Heck, you could even argue that they might not be recruiting well. Zook was a great recruiter and had big time college experience, it might be that Meyer's system and his recruiting is not going to equal wins in the SEC (for various reasons).

Still, my point is, you can't say that because a team won a title last year and is having problems with the conference this year that they are a great team, or are in a great conference.
Old 11-12-2007, 11:07 AM   #240
st.cronin
General Manager

The argument for Florida can be made for Wisconsin: Wisconsin went 7-1 in the Big 10 last year, and beat the SEC runner-up in their bowl game. This year they've lost three games in the big 10, despite returning I think 19 starters.

The Big 10 is, to me, clearly better than it was a year ago. There is no way in heck this year's Ohio State team would have lost to last year's Illinois team.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 11:12 AM   #241
Tigercat
College Starter

Quote:

So says an SEC homer.

Florida lost some key components off that team from last year. Sure, they still have a good team, but you are basically saying that since they won last year, they should win their side of the conference this year. Being good last year does not equate to success this year.

Heck, you could even argue that they might not be recruiting well. Zook was a great recruiter and had big time college experience, it might be that Meyer's system and his recruiting is not going to equal wins in the SEC (for various reasons).

Still, my point is, you can't say that because a team won a title last year and is having problems with the conference this year that they are a great team, or are in a great conference.

Eh? Did you read my post? One part of it was that, yes they are the defending national champion. So they know how to win. But thats just one part.

The other part of it is that they are very talented. Not recruiting well? All independent sources(both recruiting "Experts" and NFL talent "experts") would disagree. So they are talented, thats another part. You also have one of the most well regarded coaches and coaching staffs in the nation at Florida.

The final piece of the puzzle that makes their situation in the SEC more meaningful than, say USC, is that Florida has played well. No Stanford like collapses.

Given all the pieces that Florida has, not just being the defending national championship, it shows conference strength that they have just been out played in three conference games.
Old 11-12-2007, 11:14 AM   #242
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
The Big 10 is, to me, clearly better than it was a year ago. There is no way in heck this year's Ohio State team would have lost to last year's Illinois team.

Cleary better? How does OSU being worse than they were last year, but Illinois being better than they were last year make the Big 10 clearly better than it was a year ago?
Old 11-12-2007, 11:22 AM   #243
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
The other part of it is that they are very talented. Not recruiting well? All independent sources(both recruiting "Experts" and NFL talent "experts") would disagree. So they are talented, thats another part. You also have one of the most well regarded coaches and coaching staffs in the nation at Florida.

True, their recruiting has been good by the "experts" but so has Notre Dame's, we see where that has gotten them. Most recruiting guys look at the starts teams rack up, but they don't follow the subsequent development of players once they get on a team.

I'm not trying to bash Meyer, but I wonder how his system will hold up the more big teams see it and prepare for it year after year.

Quote:
Given all the pieces that Florida has, not just being the defending national championship, it shows conference strength that they have just been out played in three conference games.

My point is and has been that we do not know how good the SEC is because they are essentially beating up on each other. The only elite team in the conference that I have seen is LSU. But, I have major questions about them because they do not bring it to every game (Les Miles would be a perfect fit up at Michigan).

I'm not saying the SEC is bad, I'm just saying that I don't understand how everyone has annointed them the best conference in the land when the results and the what I see on the field does not indicate that it is.
Old 11-12-2007, 11:29 AM   #244
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
I'm not trying to bash Meyer, but I wonder how his system will hold up the more big teams see it and prepare for it year after year.

Skydog?!
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 11:39 AM   #245
Tigercat
College Starter

Quote:
My point is and has been that we do not know how good the SEC is because they are essentially beating up on each other. The only elite team in the conference that I have seen is LSU. But, I have major questions about them because they do not bring it to every game (Les Miles would be a perfect fit up at Michigan).

I'm not saying the SEC is bad, I'm just saying that I don't understand how everyone has annointed them the best conference in the land when the results and the what I see on the field does not indicate that it is.

Previous experience. Florida, as an example, barely survived with just one loss in the SEC last year. And what do they do? Bury their opponents in the national championship game.

And thats my point with Florida this year being a good barometer on why people think the SEC is the best. A team as talented as Florida can bring a "B" or "A" every week and still get three losses handed to them in the SEC.

If USC and Texas had been as consistent(and had as consistent QB play really) as Florida has been this year, USC and Texas would probably be undefeated in their conferences.
Old 11-12-2007, 12:18 PM   #246
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

IMO, the problem with ranking conferences against each other is that unless you follow a conference 100%, you have just a vague idea of what the mid-tier teams are like. A LSU fan will rightfully argue that Florida, Kentucky, Auburn & Alabama is a tough four game run, an Ohio State fan can argue that Mich State, Penn State, Wisconsin, Illinois & Michigan is a brutal stretch and even a VT fan can point to BC, Georgia Tech, Florida State, Miami & Virginia as five grueling games in a row. Meanwhile, a PAC-10 fan will look at those and think Oregon's run of USC, Arizona State, Arizona & UCLA is tougher based on his familiarity of those teams and the history between those schools and the one he roots for. No one can be expected to follow all of the mid-tier teams in the country, but anyone who follows a particular conference will automatically understand how tough navigating their way through their conference schedule can be while someone else only sees teams that [insert BCS Contender from another conference] is supposed to beat.
VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 12:19 PM   #247
Butter
Coordinator

I'm not a big BCS fan, but one thing about the bowl system is that we'll see whether the SEC is as good as people think they are when they go up against the Big Ten directly in at least 2 bowl games (Capital One and Outback (is it still the Outback?) Bowls). Was kinda hoping for Ohio State-LSU in the title game, but Juice Williams had to go fuck that up for me.
Old 11-12-2007, 12:23 PM   #248
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

The Gators have no defense this season.

As for them beating Ohio State last year for the title was anyone surprised by that outcome? Florida had a top heavy defense(juniors and seniors) and basically ran past tOSU... the speed difference was noticable from the beginning of the game.
Old 11-12-2007, 12:27 PM   #249
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
This is a big flaw in the system for me.

Do we really know how good Kansas is. Yes, they've beaten all the teams laid out in front of them, but let's say they lose to Missouri. What happens then? Missouri gets a big boost from a team that might not be that great. Kansas might be a great team, they might sweep Oklahoma and Missouri, but what happens if they are not great? Missouri or Oklahoma get a huge boost from beating them, and will probably jump Oregon.

Out of all the teams I have watched this year, Oregon is the best. But, I have a feeling they are going to be on the outside looking in at the national title game.

Personally as much as I hate to admit it, I believe Kansas is much better than people think.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 12:29 PM   #250
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Personally as much as I hate to admit it, I believe Kansas is much better than people think.

That seemed to be my impression after finally seeing them in action on Saturday night.