Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-07-2007, 05:39 PM   #201
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Mighty nice of the Sox and Angels to finish at 37 after the hour, just when the Yanks/Indians are starting
Old 10-07-2007, 05:39 PM   #202
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Geez, swap to the Yankees game and uh..nice throw, Jeter.
Old 10-07-2007, 05:52 PM   #203
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Red Sox vs Indians is such a worst case scenario. Ugh.

As oppose to what?? The Tigers? Would Angels vs Indians been better??
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 06:12 PM   #204
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
As oppose to what?? The Tigers? Would Angels vs Indians been better??

YES! @#$%&
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 06:18 PM   #205
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Kudos to the BoSox, BTW. Their talent really showed in this series. We got beat, plain and simple.

There are a lot of factors to bring up. I feel losing Matthews for the series, Anderson for the last game (and with a bad eye through all of them, talk about a weird injury, right in line with Angels history), and Kotchman for the last game as well really hurt us. And we were still affected by Rivera's lack of presence this entire year. Sure, he was here at the end, but how much of a difference does it make to have his 20-plus homer power available all season?

But even if we had all of those guys, maybe we take a game. Maybe if we're lucky, we take two, and force it to five. But I still don't see us winning that series most times even with a fully healthy roster.

Which says a lot about out management and what they need to do. Because they haven't been doing it, and I can only pray watching us get swept by the Red Sox again will convince them they need to step it up. Division championships aren't enough anymore.

Great series again to the Red Sox, although, no, I won't be rooting for you. I am rooting for Indians-Rockies now. But you guys have a terrific team, and have to be considered the favorite at this point.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 06:25 PM   #206
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I love how all of the Bronx has to come to the mound to talk to the Rocket.
Old 10-07-2007, 06:31 PM   #207
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Wow. Needless to say, this probably isn't how he wanted to go out for good.
Old 10-07-2007, 06:33 PM   #208
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
I love how all of the Bronx has to come to the mound to talk to the Rocket.

and pull him

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 06:39 PM   #209
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

So when they fire Torre after this game are they going to finally make Donnie Baseball the manager?
Old 10-07-2007, 06:43 PM   #210
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

I would prefer a best of seven in the first round, although that has nothing to do with all the sweeps taking place this postseason. Compared to hockey and basketball using best of sevens with 82 game schedules it just seems like too much of a crapshoot to me.

I missed the substitution while I was eating dinner, was Clemens injured or was it a strategic decision?
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 07:09 PM   #211
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Damn, even if all four series end in sweeps there won't be baseball on until Thursday, what am I supposed to watch on weeknights now?
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 07:28 PM   #212
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Oh I meant to mention this. So last night when they did the player introductions for both teams, they introduced everybody in uniform. I mean, the bullpen catcher, the video coordinators for both teams and everything. I imagine the team decides who they want introduced and said person puts on a team jacket and pants and have at it.

But it was pretty funny/cool when the Rockies had their Assistant Video Coordinator announced as part of the introductions. I don't remember when they announced the bullpen catcher for both teams, but they did..and they said his number, too. I think he went when they named the base coaches.
Old 10-07-2007, 07:55 PM   #213
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Damn Yankees... 5-3, lighting up Westbrook.
Old 10-07-2007, 07:58 PM   #214
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
Damn, even if all four series end in sweeps there won't be baseball on until Thursday, what am I supposed to watch on weeknights now?
Very disappointing. Just start the new series 2 days after the ALDS ends.... oh well, it's not my biggest complaint regarding TV issues (Tim McCarver again! )

If the Angels pick up another bat this offseason, they're one of the favorites.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 08:02 PM   #215
Critch
lolzcat

I'm going to have to punch my tv if I ever see that Frank TV advert again.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 08:08 PM   #216
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critch View Post

+1
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 08:13 PM   #217
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:

Well, it's been 10 minutes. There should be at least 3 broken TVs in your house.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 08:14 PM   #218
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:

+1
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 08:43 PM   #219
BishopMVP
Coordinator

First Nixon, now Cano not getting the glove down... poor fundamentals going on now.
Old 10-07-2007, 08:57 PM   #220
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
+1

+100. Seriously - why would baseball be dumb enough to put its post-season on cable, and initially without HD?
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 09:25 PM   #221
BishopMVP
Coordinator

TBSHD started up just in time here in Mass... would have been riots otherwise I guess.

Frank TV I have no idea how that's gonna be a good show. I guess he's decent stand-up and at impressisons, but how that translates into a show I have no idea, nor intend to find out.
Old 10-07-2007, 09:35 PM   #222
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Man, seriously. Those ads are irritating. So is having the post-season -- especially one this exciting so far -- on cable.
Old 10-07-2007, 09:35 PM   #223
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Being in Atlanta, I didn't have to worry about TBSHD. I just wondered if they'd actually bring the HD cameras . TBSHD has called itself an HD channel while showing only a handful of Braves games (and like nothing else) in HD.
Old 10-07-2007, 09:57 PM   #224
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
+100. Seriously - why would baseball be dumb enough to put its post-season on cable, and initially without HD?

Umm ... $$$

And I have to think the networks were pretty pleased that a cable network stepped up & was willing to pay since there's a pretty good chance that any of the major broadcast networks would have had to risk putting early round games on that actually draw lower ratings than their regular primetime programs and would have been paying for the "privilege". Not to mention pissing off their affiliates royally as in many markets MLB is a really tough sell.

I really don't think baseball is all that far from being all cable except maybe for the WS and the A-S game.
Old 10-07-2007, 10:02 PM   #225
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

I've had every single postseason game in HD???
Old 10-07-2007, 10:20 PM   #226
Galaril
Pro Starter

First off, I am glad the Sox' won but am not going to brag about kicking the Angels are anything since I think if they hadn't had a ton of injuries to kep players this would have been amuch closer series. Yankees game remined me slightly of the year the Sox had there comeback against NY in 2005. My advice to Cleveland win the next game! You will LOSE if you go to game five against this team no matter where you play. I have tickets to the first game of the ALCS in Boston and hope we get the Yankees But if we get the Indians no prob. Just happy we are still in it. Good to see Manny and Ortiz as well as Lowell/Drew all hitting.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 10:29 PM   #227
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
First off, I am glad the Sox' won but am not going to brag about kicking the Angels are anything since I think if they hadn't had a ton of injuries to kep players this would have been amuch closer series. Yankees game remined me slightly of the year the Sox had there comeback against NY in 2005. My advice to Cleveland win the next game! You will LOSE if you go to game five against this team no matter where you play. I have tickets to the first game of the ALCS in Boston and hope we get the Yankees But if we get the Indians no prob. Just happy we are still in it. Good to see Manny and Ortiz as well as Lowell/Drew all hitting.

I dunno if I buy that. I know that'll be the talk. Lose tomorrow and it's NY's to lose. But Cleveland in that scenario Cleveland will be:

1) Playing at home
2) Starting a Cy Young candidate on normal rest
3) Facing either a pitcher who has been lit up like a roman candle in 2 of his last 4 starts or a 35 year old on short rest.

Even if Cleveland loses tomorrow, I think they are still the favorites to go to the ALCS. Doesn't mean the Yankees won't win it. We all know they have the talent to sweep through everything. . . but I think if I'm Cleveland, I'm more than happy to take my chances with a rested Sabathia vs. ANY starting pitcher the Yankees throw out at me.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 10:41 PM   #228
Jas_lov
College Starter

Wang will pitch tomorrow for the Yankees on 3 days rest. Cleveland should counter with Sabathia. If it goes to game 5, it takes place on Wednesday so Carmona and Pettitte will be on full rest. The Yankees will likely crush Byrd so it makes sense to me to go with Sabathia and Carmona.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 10:46 PM   #229
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post
Wang will pitch tomorrow for the Yankees on 3 days rest. Cleveland should counter with Sabathia. If it goes to game 5, it takes place on Wednesday so Carmona and Pettitte will be on full rest. The Yankees will likely crush Byrd so it makes sense to me to go with Sabathia and Carmona.

Given all those parameters, I'd have to agree. Start Sabathia a little short and have him and Carmona go full throttle in game five if you need it.
Old 10-07-2007, 11:08 PM   #230
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Umm ... $$$

And I have to think the networks were pretty pleased that a cable network stepped up & was willing to pay since there's a pretty good chance that any of the major broadcast networks would have had to risk putting early round games on that actually draw lower ratings than their regular primetime programs and would have been paying for the "privilege". Not to mention pissing off their affiliates royally as in many markets MLB is a really tough sell.

I really don't think baseball is all that far from being all cable except maybe for the WS and the A-S game.

Definitely - FOX has had the MLB playoffs the last 5 years or so, and every year, they've had to hold off their fall season premieres until November. That got harder and harder to justify.

FOX took losses on their early sports contracts because they wanted to be seen as part of the "big 4". Remember when they first got the NFL - people couldn't believe it, they thought they'd have Al Bundy doing play by play. Now that they've arrived as a major network, it makes no sense to run Divisional Series Baseball in primetime.

Last edited by molson : 10-07-2007 at 11:24 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 11:19 PM   #231
Jas_lov
College Starter

And Wedge confirms that the Indians are going with Byrd in game 4. It's his funeral I guess. I don't know why you wouldn't use your Cy Young pitcher in game 4 and if it came to a game 5 you'd have Carmona who shut down the Yankees in game 2. Byrd faced the Yankees once this season and he didn't make it past the 2nd inning. Facing Andy Pettitte in the deciding game after he shut you down in game 2 is not something I'd look forward to.
Old 10-07-2007, 11:46 PM   #232
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I think Wang will get shelled on 3 days rest.
Old 10-08-2007, 12:03 AM   #233
Jas_lov
College Starter

He might get shelled again. But one thing to keep in mind is that Wang pitches much better at home. His ERA is 2.75 at home this year and 4.91 on the road. Maybe they don't cut the grass before he pitches or something. He doesn't really have much of a history of pitching on short rest so we won't know until tomorrow I guess. But can you really count on Wang going out there and getting bombed again? You put Byrd out there and there's a good chance that he gets bombed as well, all so you can save Sabathia for game 5 and leave Carmona on the bench?
Old 10-08-2007, 06:54 PM   #234
TroyF
Coordinator

I dont think I've ever seen a pitcher have less command and get more felatio by the announcers than I just saw. I like the way the guy pitches, but they couldn't stop talking about how he'd settled down after the Sizemore bomb. Ummm, guys, he just gave up 3 hits to the first 7 hitters and had a 20+ pitch inning. Seemings on how he's coming off three days rest, he needs to get it together quick or the Yankees are in trouble. (though the Yankees are going to lite Byrd up)

Question for the Yankee fans: Who does Torre go to if Wang continues to struggle? Hughes is probably unavailable. Who is left?
Old 10-08-2007, 07:00 PM   #235
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

ANOTHER ABOMB FROM A....

oh wait...

lol
Old 10-08-2007, 07:05 PM   #236
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I <3 Kenny Lofton
Old 10-08-2007, 07:06 PM   #237
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
ANOTHER ABOMB FROM A....

oh wait...

lol

I say ARod takes a bit much on the crap, but that at bat was horrific. After pitch #2 to ARod, the score should have been 3-2 Yankees. The last swing was horrible as well.

Posada followed that up with an equally poor at bat.
Old 10-08-2007, 07:08 PM   #238
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
I say ARod takes a bit much on the crap, but that at bat was horrific. After pitch #2 to ARod, the score should have been 3-2 Yankees. The last swing was horrible as well.

Posada followed that up with an equally poor at bat.

I think he deserves it all.

he makes 25 million and is aweful in the playoffs in a big spot
Old 10-08-2007, 07:11 PM   #239
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Wang looks horrid
Old 10-08-2007, 07:12 PM   #240
saldana
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
I dont think I've ever seen a pitcher have less command and get more felatio by the announcers than I just saw. I like the way the guy pitches, but they couldn't stop talking about how he'd settled down after the Sizemore bomb. Ummm, guys, he just gave up 3 hits to the first 7 hitters and had a 20+ pitch inning. Seemings on how he's coming off three days rest, he needs to get it together quick or the Yankees are in trouble. (though the Yankees are going to lite Byrd up)

Question for the Yankee fans: Who does Torre go to if Wang continues to struggle? Hughes is probably unavailable. Who is left?

kennedy or mussina
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 07:14 PM   #241
wade moore
lolzcat

As a Sox fan - that sure looked like a foul to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 07:15 PM   #242
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

the ump blew that call but hey, now all the Yankee fans will have an excuse why they got blew out
Old 10-08-2007, 07:17 PM   #243
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Wang looks horrid

Beyond horrid. Lost in all of the "did it hit him or not" is that Wang threw two pitches to a guy clearly trying to bunt. One was two inches off the dirt, the other was so far inside that it we don't know for sure what happened with it.

Now Mussina comes into the game. He'd better have his A game tonight or it won't matter how much the Yankees pound Byrd.
Old 10-08-2007, 07:32 PM   #244
TroyF
Coordinator

He held them to two, but threw 21 pitches himself. You have to admire the Indians at bats in this series. It's like watching those old Yankees teams. You get out of the inning happy it wasn't worse than what it was and realize you just gave up a couple of runs and threw 30+ pitches.

Yankees aren't dead yet. I still think Byrd gets lit up. But I wouldn't wait to long to make the move. I don't think the Indians are done scoring tonight.
Old 10-08-2007, 07:37 PM   #245
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
I think Wang will get shelled on 3 days rest.

Totally saw it coming.
Old 10-08-2007, 07:38 PM   #246
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Just got home from work and was pleased to see that the Yanks were down. Indians need to end this thing here tonight. It's still early yet and the Yanks are trying to start a rally now, but...if Byrd can get out of this inning, they'll have to start all over again. We'll see...
Old 10-08-2007, 07:46 PM   #247
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Oh right. I love how Johnny Damon is the new Yankee hero. Hilarious.
Old 10-08-2007, 07:46 PM   #248
Logan
Head Coach

Bruce Froeming was clearly sleeping. When a viewer can easily identify a guy not checking his swing from the center field cam, it's bad.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 07:47 PM   #249
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Yeah, and it's funny when the put the camera back on him and he was looking like "what? it's Yankee Stadium. I'm not gonna get beat up."
Old 10-08-2007, 07:48 PM   #250
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I would walk Jeter intentionaly here to pitch to Arod