Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-08-2007, 07:55 AM   #201
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Hiro being in Japan for so long isn't a complaint anymore, IMO... especially since now we know that it really was to develop the character of Kensai/Adam. Of course, at the time, we had no idea.

I disagree. They didn't really do all that much to develop Kensai/Adam. His arc was simple. He was a useless drunk. He became a reluctant hero. He then bought into the hero thing. He then became an anti-hero because he felt betrayed by Hiro.

They really could have accomplished all of that in three episodes. Adam/Kensai is not all that complex of a character.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 08:36 AM   #202
gi
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Adam/Kensai is not all that complex of a character.

I'm hoping this changes with future episodes, as I find the actor enjoyable to watch.
gi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 08:45 AM   #203
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I disagree. They didn't really do all that much to develop Kensai/Adam. His arc was simple. He was a useless drunk. He became a reluctant hero. He then bought into the hero thing. He then became an anti-hero because he felt betrayed by Hiro.

They really could have accomplished all of that in three episodes. Adam/Kensai is not all that complex of a character.

I think his change from drunk to realizing he had powers to hero is essential to his being a "visionary". Also the depth of his hatred for Hiro had to show a very close friendship and deep love for the swordsmith's daughter... only to be betrayed. A three episode arc, I think, would have been way too quick to justify the level of hatred he seems to have for Hiro.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:49 AM   #204
Easy Mac

So since Adam is behind the company (his symbol being everywhere), then at some point in the past he turned dark, since the company has been around since the start. So that means Hiro already had traveled back in time, meaning that they were always meant to save the world as they did in season 1, because Hiro always had to go back in time to start everything on its path. So the whole first season was completely worthless.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 08:58 AM   #205
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
I think his change from drunk to realizing he had powers to hero is essential to his being a "visionary". Also the depth of his hatred for Hiro had to show a very close friendship and deep love for the swordsmith's daughter... only to be betrayed. A three episode arc, I think, would have been way too quick to justify the level of hatred he seems to have for Hiro.

I would agree with you, if all those espidoes actually accomplished what you described (quite nicely) above.

I really don't think they did. I never really got the sense that Hiro and Adam had a "very close friendship" and certainly never saw much evidence in the way of his "deep love for the swordsmith's daughter." The Hiro/swordsmith's daughter relationship, yes. Adam and the girl? Not so much.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 11-08-2007, 09:01 AM   #206
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I think the last two episodes of the arc, we saw how much Adam cared for the daughter, and she seemed to like him as well. It also seemed to me that Adam and Hiro were becoming really close. It wasn't all hero worship on Hiro's part, there was a reciprocal admiration in those 2 eps.
Old 11-08-2007, 10:49 PM   #207
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

So Adam has lived for 350 years or so? Is this because of his regeneration ability fighting the aging process? So Clair will be a hot high school cheerleader forever? Niiiiice.

Kick ass episode btw.

Last edited by Cringer : 11-08-2007 at 10:50 PM.
Cringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 05:53 AM   #208
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
So Adam has lived for 350 years or so? Is this because of his regeneration ability fighting the aging process? So Clair will be a hot high school cheerleader forever? Niiiiice.

Kick ass episode btw.

I think that's the case. That's sort of how it works in the X-Men comics with Wolverine at least. Not to quite that extent, but it definitely significantly slows down the aging process.
Old 11-09-2007, 07:37 AM   #209
saldana
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post

Kick ass episode btw.

Quote:
I think that's the case. That's sort of how it works in the X-Men comics with Wolverine at least. Not to quite that extent, but it definitely significantly slows down the aging process.

i disagree HB...i think cringer is much more correct...

all the main characters had their powers manifest during an eclipse, including claire (in the first episode of the show, and adam, although we didnt realize it at the time, in the last episode of season 1)

i think that their age has been fixed at the time their powers kicked in, which means claire will be a hot cheerleader forever (YES!!!!)
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 08:03 AM   #210
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by saldana View Post
i disagree HB...i think cringer is much more correct...

all the main characters had their powers manifest during an eclipse, including claire (in the first episode of the show, and adam, although we didnt realize it at the time, in the last episode of season 1)

i think that their age has been fixed at the time their powers kicked in, which means claire will be a hot cheerleader forever (YES!!!!)

Uh... Maybe I wasn't too clear, but I was totally agreeing with Cringer on that point. I just added the part about X-Men and Wolverine as an example of how comics have treated regeneration's effect on the agining process. The last line was in reference to Wolverine, not Claire.

I certainly agree that in the show, they are taking the approach that the approach that as soon as the powers "kick in", the aging process pretty much stops completely.

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 11-09-2007 at 08:07 AM.
Old 11-09-2007, 08:05 AM   #211
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by saldana View Post

all the main characters had their powers manifest during an eclipse, including claire (in the first episode of the show, and adam, although we didnt realize it at the time, in the last episode of season 1) (YES!!!!)

I am actually not sure if that part about Claire is accurate. I don't remember the first episode all that well (was there an eclipse starting it off?) If I recall correctly the first time we saw Claire was when she was having herself recorded while she jumped off the refinery. Her character arc started in media res. It was pretty clear that her powers had manifested before she was first shown on screen and she had been testing the range of her powers incremently over some period of time.
Old 11-09-2007, 08:24 AM   #212
saldana
Pro Starter

Quote:
I am actually not sure if that part about Claire is accurate. I don't remember the first episode all that well (was there an eclipse starting it off?) If I recall correctly the first time we saw Claire was when she was having herself recorded while she jumped off the refinery. Her character arc started in media res. It was pretty clear that her powers had manifested before she was first shown on screen and she had been testing the range of her powers incremently over some period of time.

youre correct that the first time we saw her was when she was jumping off the gantry at the quarry, but she had just discovered her powers...i dont recall exactly but i think she said it was the 38th attempt...the first scene of the pilot was an eclipse occuring, just like the one in the last scene, so it is reasonable to assume that if claire had just discovered her powers with a few days or weeks of the first eclipse, that it was the trigger for their manifestation....it was the trigger for peter, parkman, and nikki becoming aware of her abilities.
Old 11-13-2007, 04:36 PM   #213
Huckleberry
College Starter

It seeems interest is waning.

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 04:41 PM   #214
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry View Post
It seeems interest is waning.
Not for me.. this is still my favorite show going right now.. I just have been busy so I'm always behind on watching the episode by at least a few days which means I miss out on the good discussions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 04:42 PM   #215
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Not for me. I loved the last episode... explained a lot of stuff and made me question if Adam is actually a bad guy (and rather the Company is the evil one).
Old 11-13-2007, 04:47 PM   #216
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

I actually really enjoy the slow pacing. However, if it leads to five episodes being crammed into two like we saw with last years finale I can do without it.

Last edited by jeff061 : 11-13-2007 at 04:47 PM.
jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 04:48 PM   #217
saldana
Pro Starter

Quote:
Not for me. I loved the last episode... explained a lot of stuff and made me question if Adam is actually a bad guy (and rather the Company is the evil one).

same here...i also love the fact that they answered some questions, and in doing so, asked other ones...such as, we know what the deal was with the vision of nathan in the mirror now, but we dont know if claire's blood will cure other peoples the same way adam's does.

we also know what happened to peter's memories, but we dont know what happened to sylars
Old 11-13-2007, 05:11 PM   #218
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
Not for me.. this is still my favorite show going right now.. I just have been busy so I'm always behind on watching the episode by at least a few days which means I miss out on the good discussions.

Not for me, either. I'm busy prepping for this weekend, but I really enjoyed last night's episode. It is one of my favorite series right now (along with Dexter.)
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 05:12 PM   #219
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post
I actually really enjoy the slow pacing. However, if it leads to five episodes being crammed into two like we saw with last years finale I can do without it.

Try like 8+ into 2 or 3 when you factor in them having to do the finale earlier due to the writer's strike. Unless they are going to leave some stories hanging for next season, but I'd fully expect this season to be done 3 episodes from now.
Old 11-13-2007, 10:23 PM   #220
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I thought last night's episode was ok.

I wasn't thrilled with Nikki's second split personality. The whole thing just felt like a warmed over re-hash of the first season.

I also found the twins' scenes pretty boring, but that's really been the case since they started. The only time those two have been interested has been when Sylar is around.

I liked the Adam/Peter/Elle stuff. I always like it when the Hatian makes an appearance too. He's very cool.
Old 11-13-2007, 10:24 PM   #221
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Well, considering that Chapter 2 was supposed to end in December, with Chapter 3 starting the next January, I don't think it'll be close to that many eps being crammed into the last 3.
Old 11-14-2007, 04:10 PM   #222
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

incredible guy, that Adam. presumably, he's at least 400 years old and, if his story is true, he's been in captivity for 30 years. still has a rockin' accent, though!

fwiw, there's a quick article in the newest EW where Tim Kring admits they made a few mistakes this year - dragging out the Hiro saga, introducing the lame Claire / Annoying Flying Emo Guy romance, introducing new characters seperately from the main group, instead of integrating them off the bat (like Elle was), and not foreshadowing the impending doom soon enough (he says he should have had Peter visiting future NY in episode 1). that's encouraging - he seems to have a good grasp on what's wrong with the show.
Old 11-14-2007, 04:12 PM   #223
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
I thought last night's episode was ok.

I wasn't thrilled with Nikki's second split personality. The whole thing just felt like a warmed over re-hash of the first season.

and couldn't they have given this one better hair? That pulled back thing was nasty.

I agree, it was rather lame. As was bringing back DL from the dead just to kill him again.
Old 11-14-2007, 04:13 PM   #224
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
fwiw, there's a quick article in the newest EW where Tim Kring admits they made a few mistakes this year - dragging out the Hiro saga, introducing the lame Claire / Annoying Flying Emo Guy romance, introducing new characters seperately from the main group, instead of integrating them off the bat (like Elle was), and not foreshadowing the impending doom soon enough (he says he should have had Peter visiting future NY in episode 1). that's encouraging - he seems to have a good grasp on what's wrong with the show.

You mean these mistakes:

http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/...&postcount=196

Old 11-14-2007, 04:14 PM   #225
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
and couldn't they have given this one better hair? That pulled back thing was nasty.

Well it was from when she was 16.

And Bob put it very nicely as to why Niki has these alternate personalities. One wonders why she's the only one.
Old 11-14-2007, 04:16 PM   #226
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:

oops! missed a page.
Old 11-16-2007, 11:00 AM   #227
MikeVic
Head Coach

Enjoying the season too. Curious to see if Adam is really a good guy that just hates Hiro.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 10:02 PM   #228
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Great episode. I knew they wouldn't kill off HRG. This is soooo building up better than last season.

I gotta admit that the best episodes involve HRG. That guy rocks. I also liked the reasoning given behind Hiro not saving his dad. It fits and is a plausible explanation as to why he doesn't arbitrarily change the past.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 10:09 PM   #229
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

"Stings like a Bitch, doesn't it?" - Best line of the series .

Noah definately does kick ass. His willingness to do WHATEVER it takes to protect Claire makes for some great episodes. Though it is interesting that the Company chose to save Noah, instead of giving the cure to Niki. Seemingly makes the explination that the Company wants to spread the virus... just thinks it can control it to the dangerous heroes. I'm thinking in the mass killing timeline, the virus Niki holds comes into contact with Maya (or Sylar having Maya's plague power), making it a super-virus.

West totally redeeming himself in this episode. It was great.

And it seemed like Parkman decided to become just like his Dad... because in the end, the name for the woman was over her picture.

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 11-19-2007 at 10:10 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 07:28 AM   #230
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Here is a thought... since Noah has been revived with Claire's blood, does that mean Noah is immortal as well? Claire's blood is going to flow through his veins until he dies, after all... and it has healing ability, obviously.
Old 11-20-2007, 08:43 AM   #231
TRO
College Prospect

Quote:
Here is a thought... since Noah has been revived with Claire's blood, does that mean Noah is immortal as well? Claire's blood is going to flow through his veins until he dies, after all... and it has healing ability, obviously.

This would mean Nathan is as well. I'm thinking the whole blood tranfer thing has many holes.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:53 AM   #232
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRO View Post
This would mean Nathan is as well. I'm thinking the whole blood tranfer thing has many holes.

Maybe I'm giving way too much credit to the writers, but a normal blood cell has a life span of 90-120 days. I think these blood cells despite their powers, would not have an infinite life span. Rather, the thing that makes Claire and Adam immortal is that they can continue to produce mass amounts of these powerful blood cells.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 11-20-2007 at 09:53 AM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 09:57 AM   #233
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Maybe I'm giving way too much credit to the writers, but a normal blood cell has a life span of 90-120 days. I think these blood cells despite their powers, would not have an infinite life span. Rather, the thing that makes Claire and Adam immortal is that they can continue to produce mass amounts of these powerful blood cells.

That is how I looked at it as well...

I'd say it was a pretty good episode but I figured this one out wayyy to early on, it was pretty obvious with everything that was going on that HRG would be shot- and would be brought back with Claire's blood... (Although I thought that she would be around and have something to do with it)
Doug5984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 10:18 AM   #234
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Is it safe to assume Adam is Claire's father?
Old 11-20-2007, 10:21 AM   #235
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop View Post
Is it safe to assume Adam is Claire's father?

No. We already know that Nathan is her father.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 10:27 AM   #236
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post

Ok... that can work for me.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:44 AM   #237
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
No. We already know that Nathan is her father.

Noah is her adoptive father not her real father.

Last edited by Noop : 11-20-2007 at 04:19 PM.
Noop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 10:45 AM   #238
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Nathan is her adoptive father not her real father.

Noah's her adoptive father. Nathan is her biological father.
Old 11-20-2007, 11:08 AM   #239
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

I think Noop's got his N's mixed up. Why don't we keep on calling him the horn-rimmed-glass man, or simply Mr Bennett instead of Noah?

FM
Old 11-20-2007, 12:02 PM   #240
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Because his name is Noah .

I don't think there is that much confusion over that.
Old 11-20-2007, 12:12 PM   #241
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
Noah's her adoptive father. Nathan is her biological father.

he could be one of her ancestors, though...
Old 11-20-2007, 12:47 PM   #242
Swaggs
Coordinator

I enjoyed this episode quite a bit.

I wonder if the two "newish" storylines will be resolved in the next couple weeks:
--Claire seeking revenger for, what she believes is, her father's death.
--The Hiro/Adam joint-revenge story.

I kind of hope they clean up the new character mess in the next few episodes (I believe there are only two more left until the strike is resolved/after the Holidays) by somehow getting rid of the brother and sister and resolving the virus storyline. And then, after it starts back p, work on the Hiro/Adam storyline, the elder heroes/mythology stuff that Matt is working on, and Claire and HRG reuniting.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 12:58 PM   #243
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
he could be one of her ancestors, though...

Yeah, Adam could be the great grandfather or something. That's entirely possible.
Old 11-20-2007, 02:04 PM   #244
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

To continue the nitpicking....

I was a little upset that someone said near the end of the show that "Isaac Mendez can paint the future, and all of his paintings have come true."

Um, didn't he paint NYC blowing up? Didn't happen.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 02:22 PM   #245
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

That was Bob... and I think he was trying to rattle Sandra. I don't think he was necessarily inclined to go into the nuances .
Old 11-20-2007, 03:57 PM   #246
Arles
Grey Dog Software

I'm enjoying everything but the twins, who seem almost forced on us for no good reason. They seem to be shoehorned into the plot for future reference only (ie, moving the virus through people or some such purpose). It's almost like having an action movie where a 10-year old is shown fly fishing with his dad in the opening credits, only to resurface at the end when he is able to somehow hook a rope on a building and leap to safety.

It's like the director says "well, this is really far-fetched, but let's add in a useless plot parallel to close this enormous loose end after the fact."
Old 11-20-2007, 04:19 PM   #247
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

I did not know that Nathan was her real father I have only started watching Heroes since this season. Sorry.
Old 11-20-2007, 04:24 PM   #248
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
I did not know that Nathan was her real father I have only started watching Heroes since this season. Sorry.

He wants nothing to do with her. Her mom lives in a trailer park and has the power to make fire. Claire found her last season, but nothing came of it.
Old 11-20-2007, 04:48 PM   #249
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:

oooooh, then if you enjoy this season, do yourself a favor and either buy or rent the first season. You'll love it.

FM
Old 11-20-2007, 04:54 PM   #250
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Its on my Christmas Wishlist.