Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-22-2007, 11:49 AM   #201
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Toskala and Bell for the Leafs first, second and fourth, according to TSN.
Old 06-22-2007, 11:53 AM   #202
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

not sure I get that one.
Old 06-22-2007, 11:55 AM   #203
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Well, trading all those picks sure freed up my weekend.
Old 06-22-2007, 11:55 AM   #204
bbor
Pro Starter

Fergy trying to save his job....he won't be around when any 1st or 2nd rounder develops enough to help the team...he is managing for his contract.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 11:56 AM   #205
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
Well, trading all those picks sure freed up my weekend.

Me too....wanna go golfing?

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
Old 06-22-2007, 11:56 AM   #206
Travis
Pro Rookie

What are your thoughts ML? I've always liked Bell's play on the ice. Never seen enough of Toskala to get a good feel for where he's at/what he could become.
Old 06-22-2007, 12:05 PM   #207
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Not really sure how I feel about this one. I don't know much about Toskala, although I liek what I hear. It will be interesting to see what they do with Raycroft now.

Bell took a big step back last year in San Jose and is rumored to have off-ice issues, so Toronto may not be a great spot for him. He's not exactly a kid any more so it's unlikely he takes a big step forward any time soon.
Old 06-22-2007, 12:07 PM   #208
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Bell took a big step back last year in San Jose and is rumored to have off-ice issues, so Toronto may not be a great spot for him. He's not exactly a kid any more so it's unlikely he takes a big step forward any time soon.

plus, he makes $2 million a year. eek.
Old 06-22-2007, 12:10 PM   #209
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
plus, he makes $2 million a year. eek.
Yeah. It's quite possible that he was included in the deal as a benefit to the Sharks, not the Leafs.
Old 06-22-2007, 12:11 PM   #210
Travis
Pro Rookie

Well, if it helps at all, the blog I'm watching today (Spector) pretty much figures the Leafs made out quite well in this one both for how much they gave up and the flexibility this gives them between the pipes, never mind the chance for the 26 year old Bell to get back to his norm after a bad year in SJ.
Old 06-22-2007, 12:15 PM   #211
bbor
Pro Starter

I still don't see a winger for Sundin.

Old 06-22-2007, 12:24 PM   #212
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Yeah. It's quite possible that he was included in the deal as a benefit to the Sharks, not the Leafs.

that's how I see it. San Jose made out very well here. By trading their backup goalie, they get 3 picks and shave $2 million in dead weight.
Old 06-22-2007, 01:15 PM   #213
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Not really sure how I feel about this one. I don't know much about Toskala, although I liek what I hear. It will be interesting to see what they do with Raycroft now.

I agree. If Bell hasn't figured things out, Toronto could be a nightmare location for him. I don't even recall him playing in the Detroit/San Jose series. I know he was scratched a game or two, but even when dressed he made absolutely no impact.

Both he and Calder seemed like really good, young semi-power forwards. Ever since leaving the Blackhawks, however, both have really struggled. Sort of odd.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 01:15 PM   #214
bbor
Pro Starter

Sounds like the Leafs are shopping a d-man around to recoup a few picks.....

Old 06-22-2007, 01:45 PM   #215
Pyser
Pro Rookie

recchi and roberts re-sign with pitt.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 02:05 PM   #217
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Old 06-22-2007, 02:07 PM   #218
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:

They forgot the R.

Old 06-22-2007, 02:10 PM   #219
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

white ones here.
http://www.onfrozenblog.com/
Old 06-22-2007, 02:14 PM   #220
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Apparently the first round pick from the Toskala deal can be either this year's pick or the 2008 pick, at San Jose's option. They can make their decision any time before the 13th pick tonight, so they can basically wait and see if a guy they want is there. However, if they choose to pass on this year's pick, next year's pick is top ten protected for the Leafs.
Old 06-22-2007, 02:29 PM   #221
Vince
Pro Starter

So what happens if the Sharks decide to wait until next year and it's a top ten pick? They get the following year's first unprotected?
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 02:39 PM   #222
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Colorado re-signs Tyler Arnason. I didn't expect that one at all. I figured he was gone for sure.
Old 06-22-2007, 02:45 PM   #223
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince View Post
So what happens if the Sharks decide to wait until next year and it's a top ten pick? They get the following year's first unprotected?
Sounds like it.

Which if fine with Ferguson, because it the Leafs are that bad two full years from now he'll not only have been fired, but probably also killed and eaten.
Old 06-22-2007, 02:46 PM   #224
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

I e-mailed a buddy who's a Sharks fan. Here's his take on Toskala:

I predict he'll be the starter by Christmas. He was on par with Nabokov, and way cheaper. Super cool cucumber for a young guy -- nothing affects him. He looked way better than Kiprusoff ever did as a backup to Nabby.

I predict Bell with be in jail by Christmas.
Old 06-22-2007, 02:52 PM   #225
Vince
Pro Starter

Sounds about right. I've always liked Toskala, but having both him and Nabby just wasn't intelligent (at least in my mind). I look at players on the team with an economics bent, I guess. The opportunity cost of keeping Toskala on the bench instead of trading him away for value was way too high.

Bell was useless, though I (like others) had high hopes for him.

It seems like this might be one of those 'everybody wins' trades. I guess it'll hinge upon whether or not Toronto can sign Toskala long term.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.

Last edited by Vince : 06-22-2007 at 02:53 PM.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 02:54 PM   #226
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Quote:
I predict he'll be the starter by Christmas. He was on par with Nabokov, and way cheaper. Super cool cucumber for a young guy -- nothing affects him. He looked way better than Kiprusoff ever did as a backup to Nabby.

hes 30...not too young, but not that old i guess, either...
Old 06-22-2007, 03:07 PM   #227
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Colorado re-signs Tyler Arnason. I didn't expect that one at all. I figured he was gone for sure.

to expand on this, the two big acquisitions most people think the Avs are in the running for are Peter Forsberg and Ryan Smyth. With Arnason coming back, all 4 centers are returning (Sakic, Stastny, Arnason and the surprising Ben Guite). To my mind, that seems to put the kibosh on Forsberg (or Drury, but I don't think that's ever been a viable option) and moves us more towards Smyth. who knows if I'm right, of course.
Old 06-22-2007, 03:07 PM   #228
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post
hes 30...not too young, but not that old i guess, either...

30 is the new 20 in Toronto....players get old very fast here.

Old 06-22-2007, 03:30 PM   #229
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Well, all joking aside, 30 is relatively young for a goalie. Cliff Fletcher always had a two-year rule for goalies -- they take two more years of development to get to the NHL, they hit their prime two years later than other players, and they get an extra two years of productivity at the end. Basically everything shifts out by two years. And in most cases, that holds true. It's why there are so many more great young skaters than great young goalies, and so many goalies are effective at 38+ when most skaters are done.
Old 06-22-2007, 03:41 PM   #230
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post
recchi and roberts re-sign with pitt.

Roberts 1 year at $2.5M. Which is a little shocking...not the dollar amount, but his agent kept saying he wanted a two year deal. He signs a 1 year deal before free agency even begins, without talking to Ottawa and Toronto.

Recchi 1 year at $2M. Which is probably a little high. It's actually $1M base salary, plus incentives, but the total amount counts against the cap which is fine, as the Pens have room now.

Even at 40, Roberts was one of the Pens best forwards in the opening round loss to Ottawa.

Recchi, ideally, would be on the third line now. OK on the 2nd line in a pinch, but teams with him on the 2nd line aren't Cup contenders.

Still no wing to play with Crosby or Malkin--although Roberts will play with one. Potentially, Malkin plays on Crosby's wing and Jordan Staal centers the 2nd line with Roberts.

And, truly, scoring goals wasn't really a problem for them. Preventing them was. Use the cash in UFA for at least 1 D, preferably 2.

ETA-- Jordan Staal still has somewhere to sleep now too. Staal lived with Recchi last season (same as Sid with Mario and Malkin with Gonchar).

Last edited by Suburban Rhythm : 06-22-2007 at 03:48 PM.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 03:45 PM   #231
bbor
Pro Starter

Aucoin to Calgary for Zyuzin.....i like this deal for Calgary.....nice pp point men with Phanuf and Aucoin,and with Iginla standing in front of the goalie....very nice.

Old 06-22-2007, 04:03 PM   #232
Travis
Pro Rookie

Vokoun to the Panthers for a first and two seconds.
Old 06-22-2007, 04:04 PM   #233
Pyser
Pro Rookie

this is better than the trade deadline!
Old 06-22-2007, 04:35 PM   #234
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
Vokoun to the Panthers for a first and two seconds.

Huh. This could mean that the Wings will clench the Central Division by December 17.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 05:04 PM   #235
Travis
Pro Rookie

According to the local radio station, the Oilers don't like the price tag involved to move from #6 into the top 2, but are still heavily in play for Pitkanen and/or the rights to Gomez.
Old 06-22-2007, 05:07 PM   #236
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
Roberts 1 year at $2.5M. Which is a little shocking...not the dollar amount, but his agent kept saying he wanted a two year deal. He signs a 1 year deal before free agency even begins, without talking to Ottawa and Toronto.

yeah, I really don't get why these guys don't just wait and see what happens.
Old 06-22-2007, 05:12 PM   #237
Travis
Pro Rookie

Huh, now the reporting is that Phoenix has acquired the first pick and that Chicago will still get Kane at #3.
Old 06-22-2007, 06:03 PM   #238
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:
Sounds like it.

Which if fine with Ferguson, because it the Leafs are that bad two full years from now he'll not only have been fired, but probably also killed and eaten.

If he wouldn't be by finishing that badly, he would be if the Leafs somehow got the #1 in 2009 and got to watch San Jose draft that "next" phenom Tavares from Ontario.

Of course, at that point, Toronto becomes the NHL's version of the Red Sox and a curse appears.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 06:15 PM   #239
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

In less earth-shaking trade news
http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news?slu...v=st&type=lgns
PITTSBURGH (TICKER) -- The Pittsburgh Penguins acquired an extra pick in this weekend's draft Friday, acquiring a third-round selection from the Atlanta Thrashers for center Chris Thorburn.

The deal gives the Penguins two picks (78th and 80th overall) in the third round, which will take place Saturday at Nationwide Arena in Columbus, Ohio. The festivities begin Friday with the first-round selections.

A second-round pick of Buffalo in 2001, Thorburn appeared in 39 games with Pittsburgh this past season, recording three goals and two assists. The 24-year-old made his NHL debut with the Sabres in 2005-06, notching an assist in two contests.
Old 06-22-2007, 06:59 PM   #240
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
In less earth-shaking trade news
http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news?slu...v=st&type=lgns
PITTSBURGH (TICKER) -- The Pittsburgh Penguins acquired an extra pick in this weekend's draft Friday, acquiring a third-round selection from the Atlanta Thrashers for center Chris Thorburn.

The deal gives the Penguins two picks (78th and 80th overall) in the third round, which will take place Saturday at Nationwide Arena in Columbus, Ohio. The festivities begin Friday with the first-round selections.

A second-round pick of Buffalo in 2001, Thorburn appeared in 39 games with Pittsburgh this past season, recording three goals and two assists. The 24-year-old made his NHL debut with the Sabres in 2005-06, notching an assist in two contests.

Heard this on the radio just earlier.

He'll crash and bang for the Thrashers. You can probably do worse than him as a 4th line C.

He actually fills the 4th line center role better than the guy who will probably end up playing there, Erik Christensen. But Christensen is money in the shootout.

But, seems like a steep price for a guy who the Pens grab off waivers last season.

Last edited by Suburban Rhythm : 06-22-2007 at 07:03 PM.
Old 06-22-2007, 07:09 PM   #241
Joe Canadian
College Prospect

Any thoughts on the Preds owner pulling the team off the market?
LETS GO JAYS!!
EHM 2005 DYNASTY: A New Philosophy in Toronto!
Joe Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 09:09 PM   #242
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Penguins end up getting Angelo Esposito at #20. This time last year, most considered him the top talent in the draft. Anyone ranked that high obviously has talent.

And we didn't even need to tank this season like we did for Crosby, Malkin, Staal, Fleury...
Old 06-22-2007, 10:12 PM   #243
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Wake me up when we get to the third round.

The Pronger deal makes this draft very boring for me as a Ducks fan. Not that I mind.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 10:47 PM   #244
bhlloy
Coordinator

Uhh.. you know we traded the 16th for the 19th and the 42nd right CR? So we actually end up with a pick in every round.

Shame we missed out on Gillies, I think he's going to be a very useful power forward. We also missed out on Ian Cole who is really good on EHM

MacMillan has pretty good pedigree though, that's an OK pick as well IMO. And we won the cup without O'Brien, although I still think he's way better than Huskins.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 11:59 PM   #245
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
Only that you are not a Blackhawks fan. Ugh!

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 02:29 AM   #246
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Uhh.. you know we traded the 16th for the 19th and the 42nd right CR? So we actually end up with a pick in every round.

Shame we missed out on Gillies, I think he's going to be a very useful power forward. We also missed out on Ian Cole who is really good on EHM

MacMillan has pretty good pedigree though, that's an OK pick as well IMO. And we won the cup without O'Brien, although I still think he's way better than Huskins.

Actually, I had forgotten about the O'Brien deal, and I never even knew about dealing the pick for more picks. I'll have to check out the guys we got.
Old 06-23-2007, 08:18 AM   #247
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
Penguins end up getting Angelo Esposito at #20. This time last year, most considered him the top talent in the draft. Anyone ranked that high obviously has talent.
Holy crap do I ever hate the Penguins.
Old 06-23-2007, 09:02 AM   #248
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Hmm... this may be a bad omen.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL...84597-sun.html

Scroll down the part where it says Toskala likes rock music and Will Ferrell. Then read the next two lines.
Old 06-23-2007, 02:56 PM   #249
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Scroll down the part where it says Toskala likes rock music and Will Ferrell. Then read the next two lines.

That's pretty funny. They forgot to put some sort of separator there.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 06-23-2007 at 02:56 PM.
Old 06-23-2007, 03:30 PM   #250
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:

If only he included "cell phones" in his dislikes, he'd become an FOFC member emeritus.