Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-17-2007, 11:18 PM   #201
Calis
College Starter

Yeah actually after spending the whole night playing with a couple of friends, I'm less saddened by the absence of a Franchise, because I don't want to play with a set team through a series of years. I want to try different meshes of legends every game. I'm going to have trouble sticking with one through a season let alone a franchise.

I love the added strategy of picking teams. I played against my brother and just got smoked with him using Montana and a mesh of stud receivers, so the next game I counted on him going with the same strategy, and went with Woodson and Night Train Lane for my two golds and then a bruising running game to really play clock management. Next game he switched gears and I had to also, we basically ended up playing a best of 5 series re-drafting before each game. I was down two games to one when we had a good'un.

It was a tough game throughout, he finally scored near the end of the first half. I had the immortal Bernie Kosar behind the helm, and he was terrible. I just couldn't buy anything, O.J. was having to carry the team but he was really being keyed on. I wound up late in the 3rd catching him off guard with a FB Draw to Ickey Woods that got broke free for big yards and eventually tied the game. He turned around and immediately bombed one deep and took the lead back. I finally get a decent completion as the 4th is winding and turn it into a big play. I score, and somehow while watching an achievement scroll across the bottom while kicking muff the frigging extra point. I'm down 14-13 with just a couple minutes left. I should mention I'm not a fan of the new kicking system, it's just not working for me.

I manage to shut him down and still have a timeout. I have a long ways to go though, but manage to nab a couple good passes, and catch him off guard with a couple runs to the Juice. I get down well within field goal range, and there's 2 seconds left. The field goal team is out and I'm a little nervous now after the extra point debacle, the snap comes and the kick is up...it's blocked! We see the blocked text across the screen and I jump up pissed that I lost and my brother is immediately taunting me, but I glance back and the ball is still moving forward, it inches over the bar and is good. That was good for a win, and in the next game I mauled him with a really well-rounded team. Was a great gaming moment though.

I can see myself playing this for a long time trying out different combinations.

Love to see them do some sort of expansions with extra players, that seems like a great easy way to make a couple extra bucks.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 11:24 PM   #202
Calis
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneTheMaster View Post
Here is my review, from a coach mode perspective. You get pretty realistic play with Accelerated clock, and 13 min quarters.

The bad:
Unless I don't have something configured right, there are no video highlights as in 2k5, I only get photo stills of the game at the half.

The bad:
You can't pit 2 teams you created against each other.

I definitely had video highlights in the games I played at the half and at the end of the game. We were just playing quick games though, not season ones.

As for pitting 2 teams you created against each other do you mean put two created teams in a season? Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but I definitely played several games with only created teams in the quick games.

And yes, the running backs in the flats and receivers on outs DRIVES ME CRAZY. Happens quite often, and has as long as I can remember in 2k games.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:29 PM   #203
TroyF
Coordinator

Shane,

1) I'm not sure what you have configured. I'm getting full video highlights at halftime.

2) I've played through three games and have yet to see the RB thing.

3) It seems like everytime I play a game, I'm seeing something I've never seen in a football game before. In my last game I shanked a punt short. The CPU player slid on his knees to catch it and prevent it from rolling.

4) I initially thought the replayability would be a problem. After playing it? Not an issue. All of the legends play diferent from each other. Having a season with Campbell as your RB and having a season with Sanders are going to give you two very different ways to play. While playing my last game, I'm thinking of new ways to play and set up my team. This is the first time I can say this in a long, long time: If this game had a season mode, I wouldn't play it. I don't want to keep my current team forever. I'm excited about all the different ways I can change it up.

I want to try 11 all pros on D, 11 all pros on O, a passing offense, a dominant run offense. I want to play with Montana, Unitas, Young, etc. The replayability factor for me is endless. I understand everyone won't have that view and I can respect that, but I think they created a gem here.

I'd probably give it an 8.5 at this point. 13 minute quarters give great stats when you control the players as well BTW.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 11:30 PM   #204
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calis View Post
I definitely had video highlights in the games I played at the half and at the end of the game. We were just playing quick games though, not season ones.

As for pitting 2 teams you created against each other do you mean put two created teams in a season? Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but I definitely played several games with only created teams in the quick games.

And yes, the running backs in the flats and receivers on outs DRIVES ME CRAZY. Happens quite often, and has as long as I can remember in 2k games.

Just strange, I haven't seen it at all. It has been an ongoing problem in the 2K series, but I haven't had the issue. Probably pop up 45 times next game and piss me off.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:48 PM   #205
Groundhog
Coordinator

In 2K's NBA title some folks, myself included, also had the issue where they weren't getting video replays, and the solution was to, a) ensure you have available space on your HDD (obviously), and b) clear the cache.

b) worked for me.
Old 07-18-2007, 06:31 AM   #206
ShaneTheMaster
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
In 2K's NBA title some folks, myself included, also had the issue where they weren't getting video replays, and the solution was to, a) ensure you have available space on your HDD (obviously), and b) clear the cache.

b) worked for me.

So I need a harddrive on my 360 (sold seperately) to get the video highlights? I got the video in 2k5 without one. Speaking of which, would any external harddrive with a USB connection work on the xbox?
Ex-GM, Cincinatti Bengals, (Replicated NFL)
Ex-GM, Tampa Bay Surge, (WLAF)
ShaneTheMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 10:18 AM   #207
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
I'm unlikely to grab it if Madden and NCAA are as good as I expect them to be.

Quote:
It's definitely a game that, if you buy it, you should buy it new. We want to support competition in football games as much as possible.

Quote:
I have to admit that I'm tempted today as well...

Well, proving that I have the willpower of a mayfly, I went ahead and impulse-bought All Pro, justifying it to myself that I am supporting competition for EA. Played one game after playing two games of NCAA. In general, it seems pretty solid. I've always preferred Madden's gameplay (and playcall screens) to the 2K series, and that still holds true. The sidelines had great animations, players reacted well, the crowd was better than in NCAA. In the end, my EA-football preference will probably relegate this to a novelty. Marino does not look like himself with a helmet on, but Montana looked pretty good, as did Jerry Rice.

Last edited by Kodos : 07-18-2007 at 10:19 AM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 10:24 AM   #208
Kodos
Resident Alien

Oh, a couple other notes:

I can't kick in this game to save my life.

I was annoyed that they don't show what personnel the other team is sending out for plays on the playcalling screen.
Old 07-18-2007, 10:26 AM   #209
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Quote:
I was annoyed that they don't show what personnel the other team is sending out for plays on the playcalling screen.

They do, you just have to wait for the CPU to call its play.
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 10:30 AM   #210
Kodos
Resident Alien

Really? Maybe I call my plays too quickly.
Old 07-18-2007, 10:33 AM   #211
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneTheMaster View Post
So I need a harddrive on my 360 (sold seperately) to get the video highlights? I got the video in 2k5 without one. Speaking of which, would any external harddrive with a USB connection work on the xbox?

Yes, you need a harddrive to get the highlights. I do not believe the 360 will work with any external harddrive, but I'm not 100% sure about that.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 10:36 AM   #212
Travis
Pro Rookie

Only got one game in last night but quite enjoyed the presentation and the above average player chatter. Having Moon tell Andre Reed that he'd take it easy on them at the opening coin flip was amusing. I can definitely see a lot of replayability to this game as Troy mentioned with the different team makeup potential. Hopefully going to have time to play it a bit more seriously tonight and tomorrow and really see what all it has to offer (while getting NCAA in there some too, maybe).
Old 07-18-2007, 11:03 AM   #213
ShaneTheMaster
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calis View Post

You can pit 2 created teams againast each other in exhibition, if they are both human teams. But if I wanted to play a game versus the CPU, you can't assign a created team to the CPU.
Ex-GM, Cincinatti Bengals, (Replicated NFL)
Ex-GM, Tampa Bay Surge, (WLAF)
ShaneTheMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 11:19 AM   #214
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Here is my team for my first season. All CAPs, we will see how this works.

(Gold)
Tom Brady, QB - Laser Arm, 4th Qtr Comeback, Deception
Brian Urlacher, MLB - Big Hit, Ball Hawk, Wrap Up Tackler

(Silver)
Randy Moss, WR - Deep Threat, Acrobatic Catches
Walter Jones, T - Bulldozer, Stone Wall
Julius Peppers, DE - Sack Master, Reach Tackle

(Bronze)
Shaun Alexander, RB - Cutback Ability
Kevin Mawae, C - Stonewall
Shawn Merriman, OLB - Sack Master
Chris McAllister, CB - Coverage Bonus
Brian Dawkins, S - Big Hit
Adam Vinatieri, K - Clutch
Old 07-18-2007, 11:32 AM   #215
MikeVic
Head Coach

So you can use real current NFL players...? I thought they could only use "legends" i.e. retired, Hall of Famers because of some licensing issue?
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 11:34 AM   #216
Kodos
Resident Alien

Those are CAPs (create a players).
Old 07-18-2007, 11:35 AM   #217
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
So you can use real current NFL players...? I thought they could only use "legends" i.e. retired, Hall of Famers because of some licensing issue?

Ummm. . . No, you can't use real players.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:37 AM   #218
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Those are CAPs (create a players).

Ahhh.

Now we just have to figure out how Peppers, Jones and Merriman are lower than a gold tier player. (I know, you can only pick one attribute for them as a bronze and 2 for silver)
Old 07-18-2007, 12:15 PM   #219
Balldog
Pro Rookie

I have Merriman as a Bronze based on he's only been in the league a couple years.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:47 PM   #220
Kodos
Resident Alien

And the fact that he's a cheater.

Old 07-18-2007, 01:05 PM   #221
MikeVic
Head Coach

Ahh ok, so those players don't really exist lol. Do you download the created players?
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 01:08 PM   #222
Kodos
Resident Alien

I think you can only create them yourself.
Old 07-18-2007, 04:29 PM   #223
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Yeah, I'm pretty sure you have to create them yourself.

One more thing I really like is how when I had my generic QB, Archuleta, with Earl Campbell in the backfield the AI loaded up the box. Then late in the 2nd quarter I threw a bomb, well a 40 yard bomb, then they backed off the rest of the game.

However, when I had Marino the coverage always had at least one DB deep to prevent the long ball.
Old 07-18-2007, 10:02 PM   #224
TroyF
Coordinator

I just played another game with another designed team. It's safe to say that this will not be traded in. This game will be in my rotation for the next year, no matter what Madden does.
Old 07-19-2007, 07:12 AM   #225
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
I just played another game with another designed team. It's safe to say that this will not be traded in. This game will be in my rotation for the next year, no matter what Madden does.

The impressions on this game have been surprisingly good, despite the lack of a career mode. May have to pick this one up.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 08:00 AM   #226
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I only played one game last night, and it was online against a stranger. I had Elway as my quarterback, and one of his skills is being able to draw the opponent offsides more easily. Trust me, it came in handy.

I had 4th and about 25 from the opponent's 44 with a minute left in the game. The score was tied, and I needed to get a field goal attempt. I ended up just calling a long bomb pass. Once everybody lined up, I started barking signals, and I got Refrigerator Perry to jump. I snapped the ball before he touched my lineman, so I got a free play. My pass ended up getting intercepted, but it moved the ball to the 39. Next play, same thing. If nobody would've jumped offsides, I would have just taken the delay of game and punted, but the Fridge jumped again and I got another free play. Another interception. Fine, the ball moves to the 34 yard line with about 40 seconds to go. I call in Eddie Murray to attempt the go-ahead field goal. It juuuust cleared the crossbar, and I took a 10-7 lead. My opponent marched down the field and got into field goal range against me with 2 seconds to go. It was a chip shot, really. He only needed to make a 25-yard kick. I don't know if the pressure got to him or what, as he shanked the kick to the right, and I won my first game ever of All-Pro Football 2K8.

Really, this game is a lot of fun online.
Old 07-19-2007, 08:38 AM   #227
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
I only played one game last night, and it was online against a stranger. I had Elway as my quarterback, and one of his skills is being able to draw the opponent offsides more easily. Trust me, it came in handy.

I had 4th and about 25 from the opponent's 44 with a minute left in the game. The score was tied, and I needed to get a field goal attempt. I ended up just calling a long bomb pass. Once everybody lined up, I started barking signals, and I got Refrigerator Perry to jump. I snapped the ball before he touched my lineman, so I got a free play. My pass ended up getting intercepted, but it moved the ball to the 39. Next play, same thing. If nobody would've jumped offsides, I would have just taken the delay of game and punted, but the Fridge jumped again and I got another free play. Another interception. Fine, the ball moves to the 34 yard line with about 40 seconds to go. I call in Eddie Murray to attempt the go-ahead field goal. It juuuust cleared the crossbar, and I took a 10-7 lead. My opponent marched down the field and got into field goal range against me with 2 seconds to go. It was a chip shot, really. He only needed to make a 25-yard kick. I don't know if the pressure got to him or what, as he shanked the kick to the right, and I won my first game ever of All-Pro Football 2K8.

Really, this game is a lot of fun online.

Be careful with it. He can draw people offsides, but he can also cause off starts for your own guys. (as I found out last night when I was trying to get into FG range at the end of a half.)
Old 07-19-2007, 09:13 AM   #228
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
Be careful with it. He can draw people offsides, but he can also cause off starts for your own guys. (as I found out last night when I was trying to get into FG range at the end of a half.)
Whoa, I didn't think about that. Fortunately, that didn't happen to me in my one game.
Old 07-19-2007, 10:03 AM   #229
JimmyWint
Mascot

So Far I am having a great time with this game just playing the CPU! There are just so many 'little' things that you notice while playing. I am so happy to finally play a football game on the 360!

A Couple of questions...Do you have to pay to play on-line? Also, is anyone by chance playing on a samsung HD TV? I have a 37' and everything looks fuzzy, it is like I am not getting the HD effects. Is there a special cable you need to putrchase or anything? I have only had the TV for a couple of weeks, so maybe I did not hook it up right. Thanks!
JimmyWint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 10:09 AM   #230
Calis
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyWint View Post
So Far I am having a great time with this game just playing the CPU! There are just so many 'little' things that you notice while playing. I am so happy to finally play a football game on the 360!

A Couple of questions...Do you have to pay to play on-line? Also, is anyone by chance playing on a samsung HD TV? I have a 37' and everything looks fuzzy, it is like I am not getting the HD effects. Is there a special cable you need to putrchase or anything? I have only had the TV for a couple of weeks, so maybe I did not hook it up right. Thanks!

You have to pay to use XBox Live which is required for online play, but not on a game by game basis. It's pretty reasonably priced imo and a great service.

I unfortunately am playing on my PC monitor mostly so I can't help you much on the HDTV issue. There is a switch on your component cable that you have to make sure is flipped to the HD side or it won't work. Also might try going into the XBox console settings and seeing how your TV is setup.
Old 07-19-2007, 10:27 AM   #231
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Double check to see that the little switch on your HD cables is actually set to the HDTV position.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 07-20-2007 at 10:04 AM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 08:07 AM   #232
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Joe Theissman sucks! I played two first halves last night, due to time constraints. The first game he was horrible, though he did manage to hit a 46 yard PA bomb. Other than that we was missing WRs by 5-10 yards. Luckily Ronnie Lott picked Dan Marino off 3 times and we were leading 20-0 at the half.

In the 2nd game, granted there was heavy rain (looks awesome by the way) but Bart Starr had no problems hitting wide open WRs. Joe sucked again and we trailed 10-0 at the half. I need to find a better Silver Tier QB for my online team.

I played both of these games before I realized you had to charge up your QB to activate full "Laser Arm" and "Rocket Arm". Maybe I will give him one more game.
Old 07-20-2007, 10:01 AM   #233
JimmyWint
Mascot

I have been using Starr as well, and he is very accurate. It is nice to see some of the generic players shine from time to time. I had a generic defensive lineman get three sacks in a game. Thanks for the HD help as well, What a difference it makes! I think I am going to play out a season with all 32 teams. I Do not know why EA and Now 2K took out the Cpu vs Cpu feature for the 360. I used to like to 'watch' some of the bigger matchups.
JimmyWint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 05:27 PM   #234
Calis
College Starter

Some people are getting some pretty accurate representations of NFL uniforms.

hxxp://s178.photobucket.com/albums/w280/rconnery2k8/

In other news, I still can't decide on a team to go through a season. I'm getting close though, and have ended up with an almost completely defensive team with Del Greco and Guy as well. The games aren't pretty, but man Defense is fun. Butkus and Lilly are my two golds, although I think might possibly switch Lilly for a RB before I start my season, not sure yet. I spent a lot of time mocking Ray Guy in the game before I actually used him, and now I don't regret it at all. I've only played a few games with him but he is consistently booming huge kicks and pinning teams deep. My starting field position has been VERY good, and I sure need it.

Too Tall Jones has far and away entrenched himself as my #1 favorite Silver, he's great value. Clyde Simmons is a steal at bronze also.

Last edited by Calis : 07-20-2007 at 05:28 PM.
Old 07-20-2007, 07:48 PM   #235
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I've read the CPU teams are "static", meaning they are always the same and never change.. is this true?
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 03:42 PM   #236
Anguscl
n00b

hxxp://deadspin.com/sports/stabby/insert-your-slicing-through-the-line-joke-here-281702.php

Deadspin enjoying the OJ irony team.
Anguscl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 04:30 PM   #237
astrosfan64
College Prospect

For online play this game is really, really, really good. I won't play it offline, because it lacks franchise, but I'm having so much fun with it online.
astrosfan64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 07:48 PM   #238
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I'm actually liking the demo quite a bit.
Old 07-25-2007, 09:29 PM   #239
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Ok, I can't stop playing the demo. I haven't played a lick of NCAA since this demo came out. Passing is so much fun.. bullets, lobs, throwing with one arm.

Now I remember what I loved about 2k football, the ATMOSTPHERE! it's incredible.

I think I'm going to pick this one up soon.
Old 07-26-2007, 07:18 AM   #240
astrosfan64
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Ok, I can't stop playing the demo. I haven't played a lick of NCAA since this demo came out. Passing is so much fun.. bullets, lobs, throwing with one arm.

Now I remember what I loved about 2k football, the ATMOSTPHERE! it's incredible.

I think I'm going to pick this one up soon.

Well worth it.
astrosfan64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 08:16 AM   #241
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrosfan64 View Post
Well worth it.

I'm finally putting MLB 2k7 to rest and picking this one up today. I'm thinking I could live on NCAA and APF this year alone. I'm going to take a "wait and see" attitude on Madden as I haven't been into that series in a long time.

Should be fun going into Gamestop today to cancel my Madden pre-order and buying APF.
Old 07-26-2007, 08:19 AM   #242
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Impressions from Bill Harris. They sound a lot like the impressions he wrote for MLB 2K7.......brilliant in some places and mind-numbingly terrible in other.

http://dubiousquality.blogspot.com/2...k8-360_25.html
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 08:24 AM   #243
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Impressions from Bill Harris. They sound a lot like the impressions he wrote for MLB 2K7.......brilliant in some places and mind-numbingly terrible in other.

http://dubiousquality.blogspot.com/2...k8-360_25.html

Which is why I can look past the issues with MLB 2k7 and now APF. NCAA is much improved, but I'm not sure I want to play the same engine with Madden this year.

I can play a dynasty with NCAA and seasons with APF. I'm telling you, the game reeks football. In fact, any game that starts up with "Tom Sawyer" from Rush has to be decent.
Old 07-26-2007, 01:25 PM   #244
Balldog
Pro Rookie

I'm still loving this game and I haven't played online yet.

Anyone up for an online game around 9 EST tonight?
Old 07-26-2007, 01:56 PM   #245
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I'm not entirely sure why, but the more I read from Bill Harris, the more I want to hit the man with a brick. Why do I do this to myself?
Old 07-26-2007, 02:31 PM   #246
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
I'm not entirely sure why, but the more I read from Bill Harris, the more I want to hit the man with a brick. Why do I do this to myself?

B/c he's a party pooper. It's easy how some people forget that Tecmo Bowl was considered a technological breakthrough less than ten years ago, and twenty years ago, football was simulated using tiny dots.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 04:12 PM   #247
Calis
College Starter

Quote:

Glad I'm not alone here. I'm not sure when or why he was put on such a pedestal in the sports video game world, but it happened and I find his reviews pretty grating. I can't really place it, but when I read one it seems to be a couple points of praise...occasionally, and a couple of points of downside which is dragged out to several paragraphs, and that's fair, but you never end up with any feel for the game at all after reading it.
Old 07-26-2007, 04:19 PM   #248
Anthony
Banned

what games does he absolutely love? like what are the perfect games in his eyes?
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 05:03 PM   #249
RedKingGold
College Starter

$60 is a bit too expensive for my taste right now, but I definitely see myself getting this at some point over the next few months simply to re-create my LA Express team.

Hell, maybe it'd be fun to create all of the USFL teams (using CAP) and just have some games playing with them.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 08:47 AM   #250
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Atlantic View Post
what games does he absolutely love? like what are the perfect games in his eyes?

This is a good point. We ought to make it a rule that whenever a reviewer prints or posts a review, we get to see their top-5 rated games and bottom-5 rated games.