Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-03-2007, 11:49 AM   #201
Phototropic
Mascot

I went 7-22 my first season but loved it. I'm 3-2 now with losses to Marquette and Missouri where I was a huge underdog, so I might be getting better.
Phototropic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 03:12 PM   #202
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
I'm only 7 games into my first season, and my poor Privateers are sitting at 1-6. Most of our games have been close, but we just fall apart at the end. My last loss was against 1-6 UL-Lafayette. Strangely, it was featured on the "College Hoops Tonight" show. I figure that there must have been very few games that week if a game between two Sun Belt teams with a combined record of 2-11 was being featured.

My Nicholls state team has never been featured despite playing Georgia to only a 5 point loss that I thought might make it. We've also been blown out by plenty of bigger schools that I thought might get us a mention but no mention yet.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 01-03-2007 at 03:13 PM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 03:18 PM   #203
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
I'm only 7 games into my first season, and my poor Privateers are sitting at 1-6. Most of our games have been close, but we just fall apart at the end. My last loss was against 1-6 UL-Lafayette. Strangely, it was featured on the "College Hoops Tonight" show. I figure that there must have been very few games that week if a game between two Sun Belt teams with a combined record of 2-11 was being featured.

I've ran into this a bit with my UMES team. They will play well in the first 30 minutes aginst better teams, keeping the game close, only to fall apart and start missing everything going down the stretch.

I need to pick this game back up again. You guys are making me crazy. Too many games.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 07:23 AM   #204
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Played my first non-open legacy game last night and, like spleen, I'm coaching UMES. Went through the first two weeks of recruiting and, as usual, find myself targeting guys I have little to no chance of getting (this is typical of me - it's just very hard to recruit 1 and 2 star athletes).

Anyway...onto the first game against Wagner! I lead the entire first half, and take a 36-30 lead into halftime. Already the Maryland-Eastern Shore faithful are predicting great things for the program . Unfortunately, there are two halves to any basketball game, and that was all Wagner needed to annihilate me. For whatever reason, they went into a 3-pointer frenzy (they ended the night 12-29 from 3-point land) and soon had a 20 point lead. I cut it to 10 at the end, but lost 90-80.

How the heck did I give up 60 points in a single half?!

Anyone else think there may be some of that dreaded "catch-up" AI?

btw, I'm playing on Starter level, cause I stink .
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 08:19 AM   #205
spleen1015
Coordinator

I have seen a few games where my guys play well in teh first half and suck in the second. Wagner beat me with a 3 at the buzzer to win by 1.
Old 01-05-2007, 10:21 AM   #206
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I don't think there is any catchup AI. I've had plenty of blow outs in both directions. I think it is critical to rest starters at the right times and have a group with high cohesion (or unity) in at the end of the game and when they are not tired. I've noticed guys usually start missing many more shots once their energy level drops below 80, so any shooters get subbed out once they hit that mark. I'll let my stars (who aren't just shooters) or defensive players drop down to 75 but then I sub them out. Depth is very important and I've done well when I can rotate 8 or 9 guys and keep everyone fresh, unless I'm just playing a better team where their guys just kill me.

I also think wise use of timeouts when teams start a run (including a catchup run) is critical.
Old 01-05-2007, 12:02 PM   #207
CraigSca
Pro Starter

I'll have to keep this in mind. Granted, I hardly recognize my own players because it was my first game with them.

It's funny - sometimes I have to put the game aside and think (e.g. call a timeout). So many times another team gets on a run and you immediately want to start blazing down the court to get the points back. THAT'S the time where you call time out, put down the controller and then think about you want to do.

Joystick games get a bad wrap for a lot of things, but this is one instance where a text sim will never be able to equal a game like Hoops 2K7. The graphics, the sound, the replays, the tension, etc.
how do you know?

Old 01-05-2007, 12:16 PM   #208
Radii
Head Coach

Are people having any problems with the game freezing? Out of about 13 games I've played now, 3 of them have frozen up, 2 of them right at the final buzzer.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 12:22 PM   #209
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca View Post
It's funny - sometimes I have to put the game aside and think (e.g. call a timeout). So many times another team gets on a run and you immediately want to start blazing down the court to get the points back. THAT'S the time where you call time out, put down the controller and then think about you want to do.

I defnitely have problems with that. I've had 8-10 point leads vanish and right around the time it gets tied up I start rushing shots or forcing plays that were working earlier in the game when I was winning and give up 10 fast break points in 2 minutes and give away the game.

I don't do my own substitutions, but I've gotten to know my players well enough now that I'm probably going to start.

I have 5 good 3 point shooters, and no good post players, so I end up taking a lot of 3 pointers, and often I take the first open 3 I get, so I end up with a lot of games in the 80s or 90s. I always have 1, and often have 2, very good 3 point shooters on the court at a time. Most of my shots are either 3 pointers or inside shots, I have very little going on outside the paint before the 3 point line. I think for the most part that fits my team fairly well though... work it around but if you can't break down the defense for a layup early on, start looking for the inside-out game or a screen to get an open 3. Quite a few times though it feels like I'm playing run and gun video game basketball. I can't wait to recruit a couple of competant big men and see if I can get my preferred style of play going(pound it inside, use the 3 pointer as the 2nd or 3rd option, not the first).
Old 01-05-2007, 12:22 PM   #210
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
Are people having any problems with the game freezing? Out of about 13 games I've played now, 3 of them have frozen up, 2 of them right at the final buzzer.

I had one freeze in a menu when it was switching songs. Other than that, I've had zero freezes with the game despite playing a few times for about 6 hours continuously.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 01-05-2007 at 12:25 PM.
Old 01-05-2007, 12:23 PM   #211
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Exactly. If I start rushing and trying to get the points back quickly, I usually fall behind big as momentum just builds and builds in favor of the opposition. If I call a timeout, slow things down, work it around more, get it into my big man, I can usually stop the run and work my way back into the game.
Old 01-05-2007, 12:31 PM   #212
jbmagic
Pro Starter

I hope you guys selected and know how to run your plays that you pick.

If you run the same offense everything you go down court the Ai will adjust.
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 01:11 PM   #213
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I plan to get a few games in this weekend. I'm mad because a recruit was waffling between me and Tulane, and I sent the house to try to get him. If I remember correctly, he's a 3-star power forward, and he's the inside presence that my UNO team is missing. Tulane and I were #1 and #2 on his list, flip-flopping back and forth for two weeks. I was using up so many recruiting points to sway him in my direction. Two days before the early signing period ended, he chose Tulane.

On the bright side, I've already got a high school junior in my clutches, and I'm going to keep on him until next season and try to get him to sign early.
Old 01-05-2007, 02:45 PM   #214
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Anyone up for some Live games tonight and this weekend? I am not very good, but I will give it my best shot.
Old 01-05-2007, 02:45 PM   #215
Radii
Head Coach

Oh, Pumpy's post reminds me of something else I meant to ask. In previous versions of the game, even with the smallest schools, I would *never* look at recruits that were 2 stars or below. Even the worst team could fill out with 3* players and fairly quickly build up to a good enough program to dominate your own conference. Is that still the case with recruiting, or are you guys finding yourselves going after the 2* guys on occasion with the small schools we're all starting with? I have a full target list in my first season with Campbell, and its only early January but I have my doubts that I will be able to land a single player I'm interested in, some guys ranked in the 200s-300s overall, and many 3* players that are unranked. I'm wondering if this has been overhauled and I'm aiming too high?
Old 01-05-2007, 02:48 PM   #216
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

With Nicholl's state I went for 1 Star guys the first year and actually missed out on the best of the 1 star guys that I wanted. In my second year, I recruited two decent looking 2 star players who I had been working on since my junior year. So far, 3 star players are showing very little interest in my Nicholl's state school despite bumping up my charisma rating to a B- now. I do have one 3 star PG that I've been working a bit since he was a sophomore and I'm going to push hard for him this season (his senior year,) but I wouldn't be shocked if he dumps me for a bigger school.

Recruiting seems much harder to me and more realistic. I've also seen recruits interest in my team really drop quite a bit if my team goes into a losing streak and they want a winning program or something to that effect.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 01-05-2007 at 02:50 PM.
Old 01-05-2007, 02:51 PM   #217
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenEagle View Post
Anyone up for some Live games tonight and this weekend? I am not very good, but I will give it my best shot.

I'd be up for a game or two tomorrow before or after the playoff games. Tonight, I'm sure about my schedule yet. If plans fall through, I'd be up for a game then too.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 01-05-2007 at 02:51 PM.
Old 01-05-2007, 09:18 PM   #218
Radii
Head Coach

Hmm, another freeze before I even got to a game this time... is there any info on what causes the freezes? Is it possible I have a bad game/machine? Do you guys have your machines sitting vertically or horizontally? This is getting frustrating!
Old 01-05-2007, 09:22 PM   #219
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Hmm, another freeze before I even got to a game this time... is there any info on what causes the freezes? Is it possible I have a bad game/machine? Do you guys have your machines sitting vertically or horizontally? This is getting frustrating!

Ventilation is the biggest issue from what I've heard. Make sure it is well ventilated. I think that matters more than vertical/horizontal. Mine is horizontal FWIW, and I have the intercooler on the back of my 360.
Old 01-05-2007, 09:40 PM   #220
Radii
Head Coach

ah good, now it is freezing every time I try to load my legacy off the hard drive. I don't have an entertainment center, just had it on the floor. I put a box underneath it so it wouldn't be on the carpet after a freeze on the schedule screen, and that's when it started the loading crash/freeze. I guess I won't be playing any tonight at least.

I read some old posts about people suspending the power brick in the air so it has as much cooling/ventliation as possible and also about problems with large numbers of DVD ROMs and having to send the machine in. I haven't even had it a week yet, guess I better make sure I get it registered!
Old 01-05-2007, 09:43 PM   #221
CraigSca
Pro Starter

FWIW, they extended the warranty to a full year now.

Do you have the Intercooler? I got it when I bought the machine. I have it in an entertainment center that used to have a door you could close in front of the 360 (I had two failures in this scenario, when the kids forgot to open the door to get airflow). I moved the 360 to the open area of the entertainment center and haven't had a problem, even when my kids play for hours and hours at a time.
how do you know?

Old 01-05-2007, 09:49 PM   #222
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
FWIW, they extended the warranty to a full year now.

Do you have the Intercooler?

Looks like I'll be buying a cheap game and an intercooler tomorrow so I have a second game to test with and hopefully better ventilation. There's also a visible scratch on my College Hoops 2K7 disc, I swear I'm not stupid enough to move the machine with the game in it and the machine running on purpose... but maybe I did something by accident and scratched it. UGH. Ah well thanks for the suggestions

Last edited by Radii : 01-05-2007 at 09:49 PM.
Old 01-05-2007, 10:29 PM   #223
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I just had my best upset yet. I beat Mercer in the South Padre Island Invitational Tournament game thanks to a 3 with 30 seconds left to make it a 78-75 game. Then, my new freshman 2 star SF partially blocked their 3 point attempt. I made my free throws down the stretch and they missed hurried 3's so that I finally won 84-75.

I have to make something happen this year as my three best scorers are all seniors. I'm also pursuing 3 star players for the first time and this win seems to have given a healthy bump to my pursuit for a really good looking 3 star SG. However, he is from College Station, TX and Baylor is not too far behind me on his list of interested colleges
Old 01-06-2007, 01:16 AM   #224
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

I just started working at a game store and http://www.ebgames.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=802586
that's what everyone there recommends. I personally have...

http://www.ebgames.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=802205

BUT everyone says not to do this if you have one of the newer 360's with two prongs in the power supply brick thing (if that makes any sense).

Of course, the ventilation stuff is important too. I was getting freezes every other day before I bought the intercooler, and since then I've only had like 1-2 freezes in 6 months. Good luck.
kingnebwsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 12:31 PM   #225
Radii
Head Coach

The reviews of the Nyko intercooler on amazon are pretty scary, a number of people talking about it melting onto their xbox and ruining it...
Old 01-06-2007, 01:36 PM   #226
kcchief19
Pro Starter

So, I decided to take the plunge after reading the gushing reviews. I never thought I would say this, but for me it's almost TOO deep for a console game. It will take me a while to get a handle on recruiting.

After messing around for about an hour playing and one aborted dynasty start to see how it works, I decide to plunge into it for real with a closed legacy. I choose to start at Columbia in the Ivy League.

First test: Duke in Kansas City for the Coaches Classic. Very nice, even if the tournament name isn't real. LOVE playing in municipal auditorium. I fiddled a bit with some of the settings -- pump up fouls mostly, since I didn't see the AI called for many in experiments. I'm playing on the third difficulty level, where last night I was getting tooled in my practices.

We came out and Duke takes a quick early lead. Suddenly, however, I start to figure things out. I catch up and even take a brief lead. Very exciting.

Then Duke starts doing two things: missing threes and fouling me. Duke finsiehd 5 of 25 from 3 and sent me to the foul line 50 times in the game. I hit my free throws, played a pressure defense and found myself trading shots back and forth. We go to the half tied at 49.

Second half I jump out to a small lead, then Duke recovers and pulls up by eight. On an inbounds play, I manuever my best three-point shooter to receive the inbounds pass and shoot off the catch -- he gets the shooter's bounce off the rim, draws a foul and completes the four-point play. I steal the inbounds pass, hit a lay up, fouled, down by just one.

Duke then goes on another run and pulls up by 10. I slowly whittle it down. One minute to play and I'm down by one with the ball. I unfortunately have auto setting to intentionally foul, and so my team decides to start fouling. Ugh. Duke ends up hitting a three to take a four point lead with 35 seconds left.

I try not to panic and come down to set up my offense. I took a bit more time than I wanted, but eventually find a guy inside for a layup to cut it to two. I then steal the inbounds pass and one of my big guys blows a layup. I'm now trying to foul frantically, but Duke comes down and scores with .4 to play. Final: Duke 98, Columbia 94.

Obviously I need to play with the settings some more because I don't think I should be playing Duke that close out of the box, but man that was a fun game -- I've never seen an AI team do "the little things" to win. Duke made a lot of mistakes, but I actually felt like it was a real game.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 01:44 PM   #227
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
With Nicholl's state I went for 1 Star guys the first year and actually missed out on the best of the 1 star guys that I wanted. In my second year, I recruited two decent looking 2 star players who I had been working on since my junior year. So far, 3 star players are showing very little interest in my Nicholl's state school despite bumping up my charisma rating to a B- now. I do have one 3 star PG that I've been working a bit since he was a sophomore and I'm going to push hard for him this season (his senior year,) but I wouldn't be shocked if he dumps me for a bigger school.

Recruiting seems much harder to me and more realistic. I've also seen recruits interest in my team really drop quite a bit if my team goes into a losing streak and they want a winning program or something to that effect.
Amidst all of the stuff you seen for recruiting, I had completely missed the fact that you recruit underclassmen, not just seniors and jucos.

To borrow a line from SkyDog, seeing that makes my d*** hard.
Old 01-06-2007, 06:22 PM   #228
kcchief19
Pro Starter

OK, now this seems even more cool. In my second game, I struggled against the New Jersey Institute of Technology. I won, but it wasn't pretty and was a hard-fought win. My team looked a lot slower in this game, but I didn't change any settings.
Old 01-06-2007, 06:59 PM   #229
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Is anyone else having problem against a 2-3 zone? I move the ball around pretty well, but can not seem to get a shot. I will kick in to my big man and they will collapse with three people on him. The only thing that can get me open looks is dribble penetration.
Old 01-06-2007, 08:00 PM   #230
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenEagle View Post
Is anyone else having problem against a 2-3 zone? I move the ball around pretty well, but can not seem to get a shot. I will kick in to my big man and they will collapse with three people on him. The only thing that can get me open looks is dribble penetration.

It depends upon the team I'm playing against. If the team is fast and tall on the perimeter, I have a lot of problems against it. Against weaker teams, I can burn it with my outside shooters.
Old 01-07-2007, 01:09 AM   #231
Radii
Head Coach

Well I got through another game, I traded in my copy of College Hoops for a new one, put the brick and the Xbox on a box (instead of on the carpet), and I did buy an Intercooler but I'm waiting to see if I have legitimate overheating issues before I use it. I also bought a second game to play with should I have any more problems.

The first game I played was against a team with similar talent, but they ran the full court press the entire game... I couldn;t handle it at all, 25 turnovers and I lost by 30. Lots of stupid passes that were my fault, and lots of errant passes in general, a ton of them by my best scorer, who I had to take off the floor just to get the ball down the court, but then a number of my offensive options were limited. It was a frustrating game to lose, but damn that type of stuff makes me appreciate the game a lot.
Old 01-07-2007, 01:17 AM   #232
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I had horrible times with the full court press at first. I eventually learned to pass laterally as well as vertically, and I've done much better against teams that run it now (although a few turnovers are inevitable.)

I just won my first tournament as I beat Coppin State in the final of the South Padre Island Invitational! I got a really good 2 star SF last year and he is dominating against lesser competition so far. He is 6'7 204 with good hops, good speed, and a better than expected outside shot. So far, I'm averaging almost 15 points, 6 boards, and a block a game with him despite him coming off the bench (for chemistry reasons.) I'm hoping he might win the Southland's Freshman of the Year Award if I can keep him going.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 01-07-2007 at 01:18 AM.
Old 01-07-2007, 01:22 AM   #233
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Dola -

It's really cool how you have to recruit guys to fill different roles. The other 2 star player I recruited is a SG who is horrible offensively but good defensively (great for my conference level of play) and he is making a huge difference in our defensive field goal percentage when he is on the floor.
Old 01-07-2007, 02:06 AM   #234
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

BTW, on the 360 (for me at least), don't try and intercept the inbound pass. There was no slider I could adjust for this and I could easily get 20+ steals a game when trying to steal the inbounds. All I had to do was wait by the PG, get in front of his pass, and pick it off. I made a house rule to not do this anymore (which I hate) and the turnovers/steals are much better now.
Old 01-07-2007, 03:03 AM   #235
Izulde
Head Coach

What types of recruiting can you do with underclassmen and what interest level should underclassmen be at with each level as you try and recruit them?

(No I haven't sent in my 360 yet. Need to do that this week and probably have it sent to my La Crosse address)

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 07:21 AM   #236
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Continuing my UMES dynasty...

I can tell I'm getting better at the game. After my initial loss to Wagner, where I somehow gave up 60+ points in the second half (posted earlier in this thread), we played at Navy and lost a hard-fought game, 75-72. We were down by 3 with about 15 seconds left and I drove inside for a basket and a foul. My team, however, STINKS from the freethrow line (we're about 54% as a team for the year, with only one consistently good shooter), so we missed the FT for the 3-point play, had to intentionally foul and ended up losing by 3. I was thoroughly miffed after that game.

Next game was at Virginia. Yikes. Man, you can really see the talent level delta between teams. Somehow, we kept it close the majority of the time and actually had a chance to take a 1-point lead early in the 2nd half. However, eventually the mismatches took their toll, and we lost, 93-72.

Finally, we headed to Stony Brook with an 0-3 record and things really started to click. We took an early 10 point lead and never let up getting our first victory, 65-52. It was nice to see the difference in scoring this game as scoring was much lower than our previous games. I'm finally starting to get to know my best players and who to go to in the clutch. Recruiting still escapes me - we have about 12 targets and only a chance to get one or two of them (with 6 scholarships available). Sometimes I just don't have the patience for recruiting, I want to play the game .
how do you know?

Old 01-07-2007, 10:54 AM   #237
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
What types of recruiting can you do with underclassmen and what interest level should underclassmen be at with each level as you try and recruit them?

(No I haven't sent in my 360 yet. Need to do that this week and probably have it sent to my La Crosse address)

It's limited (like real life) but you can start calling guys in their sophomore year (but a limited number of times), you can also request game tape on some guys in their sophomore year. In their Junior year, you can call much more frequently. You can email them. You still can't visit until they are a senior, I think. I've worked guys up from 20% their sophomore year to 40% their junior year to 70% at the start of their senior year. Not sure if I will get him, but I'm trying.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 01-07-2007 at 10:55 AM.
Old 01-07-2007, 01:33 PM   #238
jbmagic
Pro Starter

what offensive plays did you guys pick for your team?
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 10:39 PM   #239
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I just had my most thrilling win by a long shot. I have a team of 4 seniors and while I know they aren't good enough to beat the big boys, I figured they could be good enough to win 15-20 games if I schedule easy enough OOC schedule. Well, I didn't want too many creampuffs so while I scheduled NJIT, I also scheduled Loyola Marymount which is about 10 points ahead of me in overall talent. They jumped out to a 12-0 lead, and I was ready to quick sim to the end (which I do if I'm getting blown out at halftime unless I want to work on a specific player) but then I called a timeout and got my own run going. Before I knew it, we were tied 14-14. It was a back and forth game all game long. I realized that I had to use my superior speed if I would have any chance so I ran a lot. Coming down to the wire I was up 82-81 with 50 seconds left, but I made a really stupid throw and they picked it off and went up 83-82 with 42 seconds left.

So, I worked it down to about 8 seconds and I threw it into my big PF Barker who has a nice size advantage but he missed the jump hook and didn't draw the foul. They got the defensive board. We immediately fouled. They missed the FT. I called timeout, advanced it to midcourt. My SF named Ryan Bathie who I always complain can only hit 3's, caught the inbound pass, faked out his man drew the foul and missed the shot. He then drilled both FT's. They called timeout, I got my best defenders out there and we made them miss a wild shot to win it 84-83

Bathie had 26 points. My 2 star SF who had been dominating on sheer size and speed was shut down for the most part this game though as he only had 9 points and 1 board. But, my 4 seniors all came through. That win advances us to 6-1 and a serious chance at having at least 8 or 9 wins before our conference schedule starts. For comparision, I hadn't adjusted the last two out of conference schedules and I usually went into conference play with only 3 wins or so.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 01-07-2007 at 10:40 PM.
Old 01-07-2007, 10:41 PM   #240
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I was having a tough game against Mississippi State when I got an "unreadable disc" error. Bah. I haven't seen one of those in a while now. Oh, well, I'll just have to try it again later this week.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:09 AM   #241
spleen1015
Coordinator

This game frustrates the hell out of me. Why do my players have to miss layups in the 2nd half of a close game? There's nothing like working the defense so that you get an easy shot and your guy blows it. This happened to me 4 straight trips down the floor against Norfolk St. and cost me the game.

I don't know if this is realisitic. I can't imagine this happening in real life.

Last edited by spleen1015 : 01-08-2007 at 08:11 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 01-08-2007, 09:21 AM   #242
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
This game frustrates the hell out of me. Why do my players have to miss layups in the 2nd half of a close game? There's nothing like working the defense so that you get an easy shot and your guy blows it. This happened to me 4 straight trips down the floor against Norfolk St. and cost me the game.

I don't know if this is realisitic. I can't imagine this happening in real life.

This is the reason why I've stayed away from this years CH game. I've heard that missing layups happen waaay to often

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 09:47 AM   #243
Radii
Head Coach

After reading EF27's posts talking about defense, I realized that I had basically set my starting lineup entirely based on offensive ratings, and Campbell is terrible, 3-12 now, so maybe that's the problem! So I go look at all my players ratings and even taking defense and ball handling into account I think I have my best starting 5 out on the floor.

I'm working on cutting down the turnovers and limiting fast break points for my opponents off of missed shots, and am making a concerted effort to slow the pace of the game down(which has a negative impact on turnovers... if I take the first open 3 I get, then I spend less time passing the ball around). My post players are terrible passers and I have to be really careful about passing the ball out of the post. Many times I feed the post from the wing, but try to pass it back out to the top of the key and have the pass intercepted and give up a layup.

I'll probably spend a few games working on these things, play out half of my conference schedule, and just recruit the rest of the way and start bringing my own players in. I don't know how much patience I'll have to keep playing out every game when the goal is to see if I can go on a late run and win 10 games
Old 01-08-2007, 11:04 AM   #244
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleBrownsfan View Post
This is the reason why I've stayed away from this years CH game. I've heard that missing layups happen waaay to often

I find that it doesn't happen much to me at all, as long as I pay attention to which hand the guy is dribbling with and approach at a realistic angle. The small details are very important. But, yes, if I mess up and approach from the left side of the hoop when my guy has the ball in his right hand, it often leads to an awkward layup that is more likely to miss.
Old 01-08-2007, 12:03 PM   #245
spleen1015
Coordinator

But with the shot stick, you can determine which hand he shoots with.

Maybe what you are saying is ture, but I don't know if that is what I am seeing.

Of course, I'll give it another go tonight if I can tear myself away from Civ.
Old 01-08-2007, 12:11 PM   #246
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
But with the shot stick, you can determine which hand he shoots with.

Maybe what you are saying is ture, but I don't know if that is what I am seeing.

Of course, I'll give it another go tonight if I can tear myself away from Civ.

I never use the shot stick for layups, and my shooting percentage is much higher since I started doing that as long as I approach from a good angle. I use the shot stick primarily for dunks and in the post up game.
Old 01-08-2007, 01:32 PM   #247
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
I never use the shot stick for layups, and my shooting percentage is much higher since I started doing that as long as I approach from a good angle. I use the shot stick primarily for dunks and in the post up game.

This is something that crossed my mind yesterday. I will give this a shot and see if there is any difference.
Old 01-09-2007, 02:33 AM   #248
CraigSca
Pro Starter

I've also upped the layup slider to 65. It's the only one I've messed with that has to do anything with changing FG%.
how do you know?

Old 01-09-2007, 09:53 PM   #249
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

The big thing on missing layups is defensive presence/pressure/block potential. I've noticed that even if a guy is going for a fast break, I can *sometimes* force him to miss a layup if I have a good leaper and can get a hand in his face as he's shooting.

Of course, there are layup sliders that you could tweak if you like.

I'm up to 14-3 (10 wins in a row) as Wright State right now, and I think I may have to up the difficulty. I'm on all-conference (middle of 5 difficulties) and I shouldn't be winning this much. Though several of my recent games have been close, I think I still may have to up the difficulty.
Old 01-09-2007, 10:01 PM   #250
sooner333
College Starter

I've been using the same sliders as Eagles has (All-Conf.) and I am getting too high of scores with 20 minutes...it's not really due to the tempo, although the computer seems to put up shots somewhat quickly. The FG%'s are in the mid to high 50's instead of 45-50% or so. Maybe it's because I'm playing an open dynasty with Oklahoma which has better players than your guy's legacy mode.

Anyway, it's fun game, I'm doing even worse than OU is really doing this year...but losing games in the 90's instead of the 60's. I guess I just need to do some slider adjustments and I really think it will play just like college basketball does. I feel that 2k Sports has taken basketball to a new level.
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote