Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-09-2006, 11:17 PM   #201
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I was exaggerating for effect, but the primary point stands. What if this is Rutgers' breakout season and they are poised to be as tough in the next 10-20 years as schools like Florida State, Brigham Young, and (possibly a better example) Kansas State were after they broke out in the past?

Not saying it WILL happen, but it possibly COULD happen. After all, no body saw Kansas State coming out of no where to challenge Oklahoma and Texas for Big XII supremacy in the mid-late 90s.

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 11-09-2006 at 11:24 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 11:17 PM   #202
General Mike
Pro Starter

I think alot of people forget that Virginia Tech wasn't always good. Or Miami or Wisconsin or Cal for the most part. There are tons of teams that were perenially bad until they got the right coach. Rutgers now has the right coach, no matter what cthomer thinks.
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 11:19 PM   #203
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Well, Schiano is a great recruiter. As for gameday decisions... well, let's just say I was getting pissy at him for not running the ball so much in the 1st half.
Old 11-09-2006, 11:27 PM   #204
Swaggs
Coordinator

How crazy is it that three of the BCS teams this season could be Rutgers, Wake Forest, and Boise State?

Rutgers vs Wake Forest in the Orange Bowl would be interesting.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 12:05 AM   #205
Celeval
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
So you'd rather keep Miami, VTech, and Boston College instead of having Louisville, West Virginia, and Rutgers? Well, your loss.

I'd definately keep BC. Rather Louisville than VT, but I'd have said that from day one of the switch.
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 12:19 AM   #206
Logan
Head Coach

This is the one that makes up for all the disasters I sat through.

When the final seconds ticked off, I didn't make an effort to get on the field. I just stood on my seat and stared in amazement that this actually happened. Way back when the schedule came out, we all looked ahead to this game and knew what kind of potential it could have. And then everything broke right so that it could reach it's potential. And we actually did it. Unreal.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 12:56 AM   #207
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Amen Logan. Having sat through 1-10, having seen them lose to Villanova at home.... made it all the sweeter. As they were driving downfield in the 4th I was asking myself "Can they really be about to pull this off?"

And New Brunswick was total bedlam afterwards, unbelievable stuff. Never thought i'd see anything like it at Rutgers. Unbelievable atmostphere in the parking lots, in the stadium, and in the city afterwards.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 01:01 AM   #208
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

You know in 2001, I sat through a 1 win Rutgers team face off against a 0 win Cal team in the battle of two of the worst teams in college football on the day after Thanksgiving Day (Cal would win a close game, IIRC - and man was it ever easy to find a good seat for that one). 5 years later Rutgers is 9-0 and Cal is 8-1 and both will be ranked in the Top 10 next week.

Wow... things sure do change quickly in college football.

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 11-10-2006 at 01:03 AM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 01:22 AM   #209
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Old 11-10-2006, 01:23 AM   #210
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDevil View Post
Whatever recruits Rutgers had at the game tonight, they are signing the commitment letter tomorrow, with a hangover and a condom wrapper in their pocket. Welcome to college kids.

NO DOUBT ABOUT IT.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 01:27 AM   #211
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
I was exaggerating for effect, but the primary point stands. What if this is Rutgers' breakout season and they are poised to be as tough in the next 10-20 years as schools like Florida State, Brigham Young, and (possibly a better example) Kansas State were after they broke out in the past?

Not saying it WILL happen, but it possibly COULD happen. After all, no body saw Kansas State coming out of no where to challenge Oklahoma and Texas for Big XII supremacy in the mid-late 90s.

It is their breakout season. RUTGERS is in prime recruiting area and unlike teams that play in the Big XII for example, there isn't another top dog college football team in the Mid-Atlantic. Syracuse hasn't been good for years and Maryland is in the ACC and doesn't really have the cache that playing in the NY Metro Area does, even if Piscataway is seemingly a world away from there.

If nothing else, kids would be a lot more likely to stay at home now to play there, the Schiano pipeline to Florida will continue and other top players or even depth guys who might have gone elsewhere, will go to Rutgers.

This is huge, no doubt about it. So long as they don't falter getting to the WVU game -- and I think Schiano will prepare them well -- no matter the result there, this is huge for Rutgers football's long-term prospects.
Old 11-10-2006, 01:32 AM   #212
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000 View Post
Amen Logan. Having sat through 1-10, having seen them lose to Villanova at home.... made it all the sweeter. As they were driving downfield in the 4th I was asking myself "Can they really be about to pull this off?"

And New Brunswick was total bedlam afterwards, unbelievable stuff. Never thought i'd see anything like it at Rutgers. Unbelievable atmostphere in the parking lots, in the stadium, and in the city afterwards.

My younger brother and I were talking about and joking about all the riots that would start and how they'd burn the entire state down in their joy. This was really a huge, huge game and those fans...man, what a scene.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 02:11 AM   #213
timmynausea
College Starter

You know, Bobby Petrino served many years under John L. Smith at Idaho, Utah State and Louisville. Is it just a coincidence that these two guys blow huge leads every year?

The last 3 years Louisville blew a 17 point lead against Miami (2004), a 17 point lead with 10 minutes left against West Virginia (2005) and now an 18 point lead against Rutgers. Meanwhile MSU under John L. Smith blew a 27-10 4th quarter lead against U of M in 2004, a 10 point lead against Ohio State (the blocked kick game) in 2005 and a 16 point 4th quarter lead to ND earlier this year.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 06:59 AM   #214
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
How crazy is it that three of the BCS teams this season could be Rutgers, Wake Forest, and Boise State?

Rutgers vs Wake Forest in the Orange Bowl would be interesting.

I hope if Wake Forest does make it to the BCS, that they don't have to play Rutgers. I would rather see Wake v. a power in one BCS game, and Rutgers v. a different power in another BCS game. If these 2 play each other, it doesn't really say anything about how good they really are. If Rutgers wins, it would just mean they were better than Wake Forest, and who the frick knows if they were actually any good or just had a good run through the weakened ACC this year... similar thing for RU... are they good, or was the Big East just not as good as we thought?

But I think WVU beats Rutgers in December to make it irrelevant. WVU will head back to the BCS.
Old 11-10-2006, 07:07 AM   #215
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I hope FSU enjoys its spoiler status against Wake this weekend. A nationally televised game to show how far we've fallen...great! Should do wonders for recruiting.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 10:02 AM   #216
MylesKnight
College Benchwarmer

For the pro-Tournament Folks out there, maybe a unbeaten team from a BCS Conference getting past over for a team that's lost at least one is what we need.

Playoffs, Playoffs, Playoffs!!

Congrats to the other Knights up in New Jersey. Hope to see RU win out.
Old 11-10-2006, 10:10 AM   #217
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
But I think WVU beats Rutgers in December to make it irrelevant. WVU will head back to the BCS.

I think that's probably the best thing that could happen for the Big East. I don't think the Big East is nearly as good as the other BCS conferences but because of the WVU offense I think they have a legitimate chance to stay in a game against just about anyone in the country. I don't think that's the case with anyone else in the Big East. It's always possilbe one of the other teams could play a great bowl game, I like West Virginia's chances much better against a BCS bowl team.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 10:17 AM   #218
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by MylesKnight View Post
For the pro-Tournament Folks out there, maybe a unbeaten team from a BCS Conference getting past over for a team that's lost at least one is what we need.

Playoffs, Playoffs, Playoffs!!

Congrats to the other Knights up in New Jersey. Hope to see RU win out.

The best thing that can happen for the anti-BCS crowd is for Ohio State or Michigan to trip up before their big game, then the team that lost beat the undefeated team. Have WVU beat Rutgers, and sit back and watch the fun. There potentially could be 10 teams with 1 loss, plus Boise State sitting there undefeated.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

Last edited by cartman : 11-10-2006 at 10:48 AM.
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 10:39 AM   #219
MylesKnight
College Benchwarmer

KSyr, you are a Nole Fan and former Tallahasseean, right? What are your thoughts on who will eventually replace Bobby Bowden down there?

And Cartman, very good point as well. How about a Baker's Dozen or so of nothing but 1 Loss Teams.. Maybe the BCS can implode from within this way.
Old 11-10-2006, 09:43 PM   #220
JeeberD
General Manager

What...no one is watching the epic UTEP-UAB battle?

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 09:56 PM   #221
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
The best thing that can happen for the anti-BCS crowd is for Ohio State or Michigan to trip up before their big game, then the team that lost beat the undefeated team. Have WVU beat Rutgers, and sit back and watch the fun. There potentially could be 10 teams with 1 loss, plus Boise State sitting there undefeated.

A bunch of one loss teams and an undefeated BCS Rutgers would be the best thing.

We've tried multiple one loss teams (2003) Then it was "Well, none of them really deserve it, because they all slipped up."
We've tried too many undefeated teams (2004) Then it was "schedule better teams"

Now it's time to try undefeated BCS teams not making it over 1 loss teams. It almost happenned in 1999 with Virginia Tech just staying ahead of 1 loss Nebraska.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 09:57 PM   #222
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD View Post
What...no one is watching the epic UTEP-UAB battle?

I am. I was just busy watching the instant classic on ESPN Classic.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
Old 11-10-2006, 10:11 PM   #223
JeeberD
General Manager

Goddamn I love Johnnie Lee Higgins...

Old 11-10-2006, 10:15 PM   #224
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MylesKnight View Post
KSyr, you are a Nole Fan and former Tallahasseean, right? What are your thoughts on who will eventually replace Bobby Bowden down there?

And Cartman, very good point as well. How about a Baker's Dozen or so of nothing but 1 Loss Teams.. Maybe the BCS can implode from within this way.

I would hope they would give Jeff Bowden a shot

Seriously being two hours away from FSU, I am surrounded by many Nole fans including my next door neighbor. The impression I get is that most Nole fans have not really given much thought to who would replace Bobby. Most of them really don't want Bobby replaced but they know that Bobby is not going to fire his son so Bobby has to go if Jeff is ever going to go. Best case scenario would be for Jeff to quit.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 10:21 PM   #225
JeeberD
General Manager

And more JLH...

Old 11-10-2006, 10:29 PM   #226
General Mike
Pro Starter

Congrats Jeebs.
Old 11-10-2006, 10:34 PM   #227
Craptacular
College Starter

Quote:

If WVU beats Rutgers, and WVU, Rutgers, and Louisville all end up with one loss, Louisville might end up with the bid. The Big East tiebreaker would be highest BCS rank. The week of the UL-WVU game, when WVU was ranked 3rd and UL was 5th, UL was ahead in the computers (9th to 13th). This week, before the Rutgers - WVU game, Rutgers' computer ranking (3rd) matched their overall ranking, while WVU's computer ranking was 14 compared to an overall of 10. The only difference in their schedules over the last four games was UL playing UConn (currently 3-5) while WVU plays Cincy (currently 5-4) ... they each play(ed) Rutgers, South Florida, and Pittsburgh. The pollsters might have to put WVU a few spots ahead of UL to overcome the computers. It'll be really interesting to see how this would all play out if all three teams end up with one loss to one of the others.

edit: I'd add that I don't think Rutgers would be ranked ahead of either WVU or Louisville, as their games against Cincy and Syracuse will hurt their computer numbers and the pollsters would likely have them below both UL and WVU, fair or not.

Last edited by Craptacular : 11-10-2006 at 10:38 PM.
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 10:35 PM   #228
JeeberD
General Manager

Thanks. It's about time the Miners held on to a second half lead. There's still a chance we make a bowl game as long as we don't have any more letdowns...

And congrats to you as well for last night's victory.

Last edited by JeeberD : 11-10-2006 at 10:35 PM.
Old 11-10-2006, 11:45 PM   #229
mtolson
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
That is like saying George Mason should have a shot at the national championship in college basketball.

Huh? Rutgers in NATIONALLY RANKED in the top 20. How in the hell can you compare them to George Mason.
mtolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 11:47 PM   #230
mtolson
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmynausea View Post
Plus Rutgers may have saved the Big East. Louisville is good, but I think they would've been embarrassed by either Michigan or Ohio State.

Just like WVa. was last year against #10 ranked Georgia ?
Old 11-10-2006, 11:53 PM   #231
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtolson View Post
Huh? Rutgers in NATIONALLY RANKED in the top 20. How in the hell can you compare them to George Mason.

Wasn't George Mason also ranked in the top 20?

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 11:53 PM   #232
mtolson
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWhit View Post
Well, I'm not gonna convince you of anything, but I can't see the Big East being anywhere close to the same level as the SEC, ACC, Big Ten, or Pac Ten. Big East teams haven't beaten anybody this year except each other (and a shitty Miami team who is 5-4).

Umm lets see:

Louisville beat Miami by 24
W.Va. beat Maryland by 21
Pitt. beat Virginia by 25
Rutgers beat NC by 5
South Florida beat NC by 17

Well, so much for your ACC argument ! And yes, WF did beat Syracuse by 10 and UConn by 11 and VT beat Cinn. by 16.

So Big East 5, ACC 3 Head-To-Head
Old 11-11-2006, 12:02 AM   #233
mtolson
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
Wasn't George Mason also ranked in the top 20?

I assumed he was metaphorically speaking due to the fact the George Mason is in a relative week conference and not normally ranked in the top 20. In the literal sense, if you are referring to them making it to the Final Four, then that supports my arguement even further. They earned there way to the final 4 DESPITE being in a weaker conference.

If they run the table, Rutgers would have defeated 2 top ten teams this season. However weak there conference appears to be, they would have beaten quality teams.

Last edited by mtolson : 11-11-2006 at 12:03 AM.
Old 11-11-2006, 12:08 AM   #234
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD View Post
And more JLH...

I was trying to figure out Jennifer Love Hewitt's tie to either UAB or UTEP until I read a few posts before this one.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 12:13 AM   #235
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
I assumed he was metaphorically speaking due to the fact the George Mason is in a relative week conference and not normally ranked in the top 20. In the literal sense, if you are referring to them making it to the Final Four, then that supports my arguement even further. They earned there way to the final 4 DESPITE being in a weaker conference.

If they run the table, Rutgers would have defeated 2 top ten teams this season. However weak there conference appears to be, they would have beaten quality teams.

Ding Ding Ding
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 01:13 AM   #236
ntndeacon
Pro Starter

Quote:
I hope if Wake Forest does make it to the BCS, that they don't have to play Rutgers. I would rather see Wake v. a power in one BCS game, and Rutgers v. a different power in another BCS game. If these 2 play each other, it doesn't really say anything about how good they really are. If Rutgers wins, it would just mean they were better than Wake Forest, and who the frick knows if they were actually any good or just had a good run through the weakened ACC this year... similar thing for RU... are they good, or was the Big East just not as good as we thought?

I hope Wake makes it to the BCS too. in terms of screwing with the BCS though I think it would be funny to see Rutgers play Boise. so we still have an undefeated team ..especially if OSU/Mich winner loses to a 1 loss team.
I would rather though like an undefeated Rutgers in there. Whatever you think of that conference they are still a BCS conference. If you go undefeated in a BCS conference you should have a shot at the championship.
ntndeacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 01:26 AM   #237
timmynausea
College Starter

Quote:
Just like WVa. was last year against #10 ranked Georgia ?

I am a WVU fan. I'm not trying to slight the Big East at all. I have a lot of respect for Louisville, I just don't think they could hang with OSU or Michigan (unless maybe the game was at Papa John stadium). I look at giving up 540 yards against WVU and falling apart against Rutgers as some evidence to back me up on that.

The Big East will likely have a much better chance of winning a BCS game now than they would have with Louisville playing for the national title, in my opinion.

It has been a great year for the Big East reputationwise, and I'd love to get another BCS win to top it off. I think we're in a much higher percentage situation for that now.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 02:59 AM   #238
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Quote:
So you'd rather keep Miami, VTech, and Boston College instead of having Louisville, West Virginia, and Rutgers? Well, your loss.
Only a lunatic would rather have those three BE teams over the ones that went. Sure, the top of the Big East is having a good year (and all three will likely continue that for a few years), but their records and rankings are a product of getting to play crappy OOC and the other five teams in the conference. You could take three dozen BCS conference teams and give them a typical BE schedule and reasonably expect them finish with nine wins minimum.

If you want to be shortsighted and claim that one media-aided 'breakout' season for the Big East should trump any other opinion of the conference, then I would be remiss if I didn't point out that one of those 'defectors' that you're trying to denegrate has spanked the Big East elite the past two seasons. Maybe we should be expecting our 2004 & 2005 Big East championship trophies to be delivered to Blacksburg, post-haste.
VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 04:38 AM   #239
WVUFAN
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPI97 View Post
Only a lunatic would rather have those three BE teams over the ones that went. Sure, the top of the Big East is having a good year (and all three will likely continue that for a few years), but their records and rankings are a product of getting to play crappy OOC and the other five teams in the conference. You could take three dozen BCS conference teams and give them a typical BE schedule and reasonably expect them finish with nine wins minimum.

If you want to be shortsighted and claim that one media-aided 'breakout' season for the Big East should trump any other opinion of the conference, then I would be remiss if I didn't point out that one of those 'defectors' that you're trying to denegrate has spanked the Big East elite the past two seasons. Maybe we should be expecting our 2004 & 2005 Big East championship trophies to be delivered to Blacksburg, post-haste.

Good lord, I can FEEL the jealousy coming off this post. The ACC picked up a mid-level Big East team (Boston College), and two thuggish has-beens (Miami, the Chokies). Admit it ... all Virginia Tech is and ever has been are a wanna-be West Virginia team with less class. They wish they could be HALF the team Rutgers is. They wish they had HALF the class the Louisville fans do.

The ACC is the laughing stock of the BCS.

Last edited by WVUFAN : 11-11-2006 at 04:45 AM.
WVUFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 05:08 AM   #240
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Quote:

wow, thats a bad post.

I'm a wac fan, and CLEARLY Louisville, Rutgers, WV, Cinci, South Florida are better then most the ACC. this is sad.

Last edited by k0ruptr : 11-11-2006 at 05:09 AM.
k0ruptr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 06:24 AM   #241
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUFAN View Post
The ACC is the laughing stock of the BCS.

I think this is hilarious considering the quote that is contained in VPI's signiture.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 07:46 AM   #242
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
I was trying to figure out Jennifer Love Hewitt's tie to either UAB or UTEP until I read a few posts before this one.

Johnnie Lee is the one true JLH...

Old 11-11-2006, 09:44 AM   #243
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by k0ruptr View Post
wow, thats a bad post.

I'm a wac fan, and CLEARLY Louisville, Rutgers, WV, Cinci, South Florida are better then most the ACC. this is sad.

I agree. I'm a Big 10 fan, but to me it seems like the ACC is just a bad conference this year. I think the SEC is probably down, too. The Big East is having a great year.

knives out
Old 11-11-2006, 09:56 AM   #244
Swaggs
Coordinator

The ACC's problem this year is that none of their teams have anything approaching a good quarterback this season. Hate him or hate him, if Marcus Vick wasn't such an off-the-field disaster and could have returned to VT, they would have been in the national title hunt, because the rest of that team is very good. I think the same could be said of Florida State (and I believe they will be very good the rest of the season after switching QBs).

The Big East is clearly better than the ACC this season (not long term) because its teams have very good, experienced quarterbacks. No team in the ACC has a quarterback as good as Brian Brohm, Patrick White, or Tyler Palko. I think the Big East will be good for a few more years, as well, as Brohm is only a junior, and White, Teel (Rutgers), and Grutza are all sophomores, and Grothe (of USF) is a freshman.
Old 11-11-2006, 10:10 AM   #245
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Sure, the top of the Big East is having a good year (and all three will likely continue that for a few years), but their records and rankings are a product of getting to play crappy OOC and the other five teams in the conference.

This is ridiculous and just sour grapes.

Here are the ranked teams in the ACC right now and their OOC games:

Quote:
18. Wake Forest
09/02 Syracuse W 20-10
09/16 at UConn W 24-13
09/23 at Ole Miss W 27-3
09/30 Liberty W 34-14

Quote:
19. Georgia Tech
09/02 #2 N Dame L 14-10
09/09 Samford W 38-6
09/16 Troy W 35-20
11/25 at Georgia TBD

Quote:
20. Virginia Tech
09/02 N'eastern W 38-0
09/23 Cincy W 29-13
10/21 So Miss W 36-6
11/11 Kent St 3:30 PM

Quote:
22. Boston College
08/31 at C Michigan W 31-24
09/16 BYU W 30-23
09/30 Maine W 22-0
10/28 Buffalo W 41-0

Quote:
23. Maryland
09/02 W & Mary W 27-14
09/09 M Tenn St W 24-10
09/14 at #5 W Virginia L 45-24
09/23 Fla Int'l W 14-10

Not exactly a powerhouse OOC schedule there. #2 Notre Dame beat Georgia Tech @ GT in a great game. #5 WVU soundly beat Maryland @ WVU. Boston College beat BYU @ BC. Those are three quality games out of 20.

Throw in the fact that UNC, Duke, UVA, Miami (look at the teams they have beaten this season before you question this) and NC State are absolutely terrible this year and it is not like there are not a number of easy wins to be found in the ACC this season.
Old 11-11-2006, 10:16 AM   #246
st.cronin
General Manager

If Miami were in the Big East this year, I think they'd finish about 5th. The top 3 teams in the Big East are better than any team in the ACC, I think this is unquestionable.

knives out
Old 11-11-2006, 12:13 PM   #247
st.cronin
General Manager

Boy, Tyler Donovan is a LOT more fun to watch than John Stocco. I don't think I will ever understand how Stocco beat this guy out.

knives out
Old 11-11-2006, 12:24 PM   #248
Swaggs
Coordinator

Georgia leading Auburn, 10-0.
Old 11-11-2006, 12:31 PM   #249
WVUFAN
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post
I think this is hilarious considering the quote that is contained in VPI's signiture.

Yeah, since that quote is taken from a post where I was clearly being sarcastic.

WVUFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 12:43 PM   #250
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

DAWG BLESS YOU, TRA BATTLE!!!!!!