DeToxRox
Head Coach

5.1 Denis Leary (Stand Up)
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 06:24 PM   #202
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Interesting picks.

I never really "got" Silverman, but enough people tell me she's brilliant that I'm willing to admit it's probably just me. Leary is very good -- did anyone not own "no cure for cancer" in college? -- although it always sort of bothered me that many of his fans don't know that he's ripping off Hicks.

Detox now has all four of his standup slots filled... interesting strategy, could pay off nicely.

Last edited by Maple Leafs : 01-05-2006 at 06:24 PM.
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 06:26 PM   #203
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs
Interesting picks.

I never really "got" Silverman, but enough people tell me she's brilliant that I'm willing to admit it's probably just me. Leary is very good -- did anyone not own "no cure for cancer" in college? -- although it always sort of bothered me that many of his fans don't know that he's ripping off Hicks.

Detox now has all four of his standup slots filled... interesting strategy, could pay off nicely.

Silverman is just sick. I give her a lot of credit, she is good at ripping at herself especially.

Leary is kind of out of the stand up forefront as of late but his classic material is just that; classic.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 06:26 PM   #204
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19
As long as we're making the decision-making process transparent, I'll admit that I was wondering weight the pros and cons of the next tier of funny women: some are bitchy, some are accussed child molesters, some are alcoholics. I know which two women I want -- one I think will be gone within less than a round, the other will probably drop to where ever I want to take her.
I think there are the really good female picks left, although one of those would probably be disputed, along with one oddball pick that I'd love to see made. Given how many spots there are left to fill, I made the panic pick on Goldberg to avoid being stuck.

Edit: And yes, I'm blatantly trying to artifically start a run on the females right now.

Last edited by Maple Leafs : 01-05-2006 at 06:27 PM.
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 07:18 PM   #205
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs
Okay... looks like it to me, too.

My next pick is kind of a risk, but I am such a big fan of his that it would upset me to see him on another team.

With pick 3.10, I pick Bob Newhart. I'm tempted to use him in standup, but I think I will stick him in the sitcom role for now.

His standup album beat out Elvis's album and the Sound of Music soundtrack in sales upon its release and won a Grammy. He had two successful sitcoms with the Bob Newhart Show (that lasted 6 years) and Newhart (that lasted 9 years). He is now an occassional cast member on Desperate Housewives.

Another clean comedian and one of my favorites. I considered taking him early, but thought that he might be somewhat forgotten and would last. He is one of my clear cut favorite entertainers.
Newhart was my projected 3rd round pick. I agree he is a top performer at either the standup or sitcome position. Great pick-up I think.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 08:07 PM   #206
Radii
Head Coach

Sarah Silverman is the hottest comedian I know of, so great pick.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 08:59 PM   #207
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii
Sarah Silverman is the hottest comedian I know of, so great pick.
If Celebrity Poker Showdown every does a table with her, Sara Rue, Lauren Graham, Maura Tierney and Heather Graham, the lights are going down and the pants are going off.

She's a tad obscure; she's very funny, but every once in a while she gets into some "shock" ethnic comedy that gets her into trouble.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 09:28 PM   #208
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
If Celebrity Poker Showdown every does a table with her, Sara Rue, Lauren Graham, Maura Tierney and Heather Graham, the lights are going down and the pants are going off.

She's a tad obscure; she's very funny, but every once in a while she gets into some "shock" ethnic comedy that gets her into trouble.

HA?!?!
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 07:58 AM   #209
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Morning bump... sachmo71 is on the clock. I have no picks from anyone today so please be prepared to make your selections as quickly as possible.
Old 01-06-2006, 08:40 AM   #210
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

I don't know if she'll last...at least among the olds around here, so I'm going to take her now.

At 5.2, I'll take Lily Tomlin, in sketch comedy.

From Laugh In to Flirting with Disaster, Lily Tomlin is a comedic chameleon. She can play anything, and is usually brilliant at in. Glad to have her on the team.

Last edited by sachmo71 : 01-06-2006 at 09:33 AM.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 09:16 AM   #211
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Good pick. I'm assuming you're taking her as a standup?
Old 01-06-2006, 09:34 AM   #212
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Good pick. I'm assuming you're taking her as a standup?

Sketch comedy. Sorry.
Old 01-06-2006, 12:17 PM   #213
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Post lunch bump.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 01:09 PM   #214
oliegirl
Head Cheerleader

Location: Caught somewhere between Raising Hell and Amazing Grace...
Whose turn is it?

Last edited by oliegirl : 01-06-2006 at 01:10 PM. Reason: correct my grammar
oliegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 01:14 PM   #215
Schmidty
Coordinator

I think it's mine, but I need to think a bit more on who to pick. Give me like 15 minutes.
Old 01-06-2006, 01:49 PM   #216
Schmidty
Coordinator

Ok, I might suprise a few of you with this pick, but I am going to take who many people credit as the father of standup comedy:

Mark Twain - Standup (monologues)

Twain was highly sought after as a humorous speaker and lecturer. His monologues are said to have been quite similar to modern standup, and that the art form has it's roots in Mr. Twains comedic speeches. In fact, the major comedy award is called "The Mark Twain Prize for American Humor".

I have to actually pat myself on the back with this pick.
Old 01-06-2006, 01:53 PM   #217
Ramzavail
College Starter

I think thats the only pat you are going to get around here.
Ramzavail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 01:54 PM   #218
oliegirl
Head Cheerleader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty
Ok, I might suprise a few of you with this pick, but I am going to take who many people credit as the father of standup comedy:

Twain was highly sought after as a humorous speaker and lecturer. His monologues are said to have been quite similar to modern standup, and that the art form has it's roots in Mr. Twains comedic speeches. In fact, the major comedy award is called "The Mark Twain Prize for American Humor".

Interesting pick. Can't say it's someone I would have thought of, or even picked myself, but it could prove valuable in the long run.
Old 01-06-2006, 01:54 PM   #219
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Interesting idea. I'm not sure what to say. I suppose the only drawback would be that none of his know what his monologues where like. That might not have been that funny, although Hal Holbrook's recreation of them is quite funny.

It does offer up a fine line. Will other people who are predominately writers but "perform" from time to time qualify as standup? I'd hate to drop any names of people that would fit into this category, so I'm hesitant to use a modern example.
Old 01-06-2006, 01:55 PM   #220
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramzavail
I think thats the only pat you are going to get around here.

That's ok. I'm happy with the pick. If anyone has read Twain himor, they know that he's f'ing hilarious.
Old 01-06-2006, 01:55 PM   #221
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:

Certainly out of left field. I'll give you props as a fan of the Old School. And I love Twain, personally.
Old 01-06-2006, 02:08 PM   #222
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

I have a disturbing lack of Canadians on my squad so far.

Given that, let's go with a guy who could fit in either the sketch or movie category. Since he's been the star of two of the most popular movie franchises of this generation, I'll put him there.

I take Mike Myers, movies.
Old 01-06-2006, 02:12 PM   #223
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight
Certainly out of left field. I'll give you props as a fan of the Old School. And I love Twain, personally.

Yeah, I've gone a bit old school on some of my picks. I just wanted to avoid the "look at comedy central's top 100 list and pick the highest rated" thing that I assume a lot of others are doing. I wanted to put some thought into it and pick people that I really like and one's that, preferably, were classic personalities. Making weird picks like this might not get me the win, but I'm having fun doing some research and making my picks.
Old 01-06-2006, 02:17 PM   #224
sabotai
General Manager

Nice pick on Myers. I was thinking of taking him this round if the guy I want was picked....one more to go.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 02:25 PM   #225
oliegirl
Head Cheerleader

This is someone I was thinking of taking last round, but decided it would be better to take Jim Carrey...I am glad no one else took her as she fills 2 slots - a master comedienne in sitcom, and fulfills my requirements for female picks.

Team Oliegirl selects Mary Tyler Moore for sitcom.

Last edited by oliegirl : 01-06-2006 at 02:25 PM.
Old 01-06-2006, 02:29 PM   #226
sabotai
General Manager

Jerry Lewis Movies
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 02:32 PM   #227
Schmidty
Coordinator

2 GREAT picks. I was about to take Jerry Lewis, but then decided on Twain. I probably should have waited much later to pick Twain. Oh well.
Old 01-06-2006, 02:39 PM   #228
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai
Jerry Lewis Movies

I never "got" Jerry Lewis. But, I think that--like Rosanne in this draft--he was a good value pick where he was taken, despite my personal dislike.
Old 01-06-2006, 02:39 PM   #229
Bad-example
College Starter

This was a fun idea. Judging by some of the names not yet selected, I am thinking that one could assemble a very good Isle of Misfit Toys team that could do well in the final standings.
Drinking like a lumberjack and singing Delta Dawn

Last edited by Bad-example : 01-06-2006 at 02:44 PM.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 02:44 PM   #230
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad-example
This was a fun idea. Judging by some of the names not yet selected, I am thinking that one could assemble a very good Isle of Misfit Toys team that could do well in the final standings.

The roster limits do constrain the teams a bit. I keep thinking of really funny people, and then realizing that they are sitcom actors/actresses, a category in which I am already full. And my idea of picking a movie duo failed once Chaplin fell unto my lap and I had to pick him.
Old 01-06-2006, 02:45 PM   #231
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Speaking of someone I'm sure people will dislike but I think is a great value pick:

Ellen Degeneres, standup

Hit sitcom, emergy talk show, Comedy Central's No. 16 standup of all-time and the No. 2 woman on the list. And I'd have hit a three-way with her and Anne Heche back in the day.
Old 01-06-2006, 02:46 PM   #232
Bad-example
College Starter

Quote:
The roster limits do constrain the teams a bit. I keep thinking of really funny people, and then realizing that they are sitcom actors/actresses, a category in which I am already full. And my idea of picking a movie duo failed once Chaplin fell unto my lap and I had to pick him.

Good point. Also, with the draft only half completed, my statement was probably premature.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 02:47 PM   #233
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
To a certain degree, there are so many possibilities out there that at the end of the day you could certainly still put together a really good team of the people we don't draft. If I had to make one change to the rosters, I would have added another slot for sitcom actor.
Old 01-06-2006, 02:47 PM   #234
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Speaking of someone I'm sure people will dislike but I think is a great value pick:

Ellen Degeneres, standup

Hit sitcom, emergy talk show, Comedy Central's No. 16 standup of all-time and the No. 2 woman on the list. And I'd have hit a three-way with her and Anne Heche back in the day.

You took one of my two upcoming picks. She's funny.
Old 01-06-2006, 02:53 PM   #235
vtbub
College Starter

Am I up?

vtbub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 02:54 PM   #236
Schmidty
Coordinator

yep
Old 01-06-2006, 02:55 PM   #237
Swaggs
Coordinator

Mary Tyler Moore and Ellen were great picks. I had a feeling that kcchief would nab Ellen, since he didn't have a woman yet. I am going to half to reach to get a female now.
Old 01-06-2006, 02:58 PM   #238
vtbub
College Starter

MTM was a great pick.

Ted Knight (Sitcom) was pretty damn funny too.

vtbub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 03:05 PM   #239
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs
I am going to half to reach to get a female now.

Not really. I have a bunch of really good ones in mind. I think people are limiting themselves to thinking of the standup women. Meh, maybe I'm wrong there though.

By the way, I'm going out to lunch and a movie (Narnia) soon, so I won't likely be around for my next pick. I don't think I can safely PM my pick to any of you guys (no offense ), so if any non-playing observers want to help a brotha out, let me know and I'll PM my picks to you if I haven't left yet.
Old 01-06-2006, 03:09 PM   #240
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:

Ellen Degeneres, standup

You chirp me for Whoopi Goldberg and then take Ellen Degeneres?

Actually, I think she's excellent. The only time she wasn't funny was when her sitcom decided to become a political statement. That whole situation seemed to drain a lot of her humor away.
Old 01-06-2006, 03:11 PM   #241
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
By the way, I'm going out to lunch and a movie (Narnia) soon, so I won't likely be around for my next pick. I don't think I can safely PM my pick to any of you guys (no offense ), so if any non-playing observers want to help a brotha out, let me know and I'll PM my picks to you if I haven't left yet.
If you can't find anyone, let me know. I don't have another pick for two rounds so I'm on the sidelines for a while.
Old 01-06-2006, 03:14 PM   #242
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
If you can't find anyone, let me know. I don't have another pick for two rounds so I'm on the sidelines for a while.

Ah, ok. I'll just send them to you then.
Old 01-06-2006, 03:42 PM   #243
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Sorry guys. I've been here; just didn't realize that it was my turn.

Andy Kauffman (standup).

He was weird, and not everyone got him, but he managed to pull off a brand of humor so unique that no one has really been able to follow him.
Old 01-06-2006, 03:44 PM   #244
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

maple leafs,

just a note...you have pick 5.7 listed for both kcchief19 and vtbub
Old 01-06-2006, 03:47 PM   #245
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Unless there's been a trade, Swaggs is up.
Old 01-06-2006, 03:53 PM   #246
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
You chirp me for Whoopi Goldberg and then take Ellen Degeneres?

Actually, I think she's excellent. The only time she wasn't funny was when her sitcom decided to become a political statement. That whole situation seemed to drain a lot of her humor away.
I knew that was coming.

Agreed on all counts. That show did jump the shark when she came out. I've always thought she was funny, and she's been great hosting the Emmys. I've caught here talk show a few times and it's definitely better than most.
Old 01-06-2006, 03:55 PM   #247
Swaggs
Coordinator

With pick 5.10, I will pick the King of All Media, Howard Stern to fill my talk show/variety slot.

He is very well known, has had a long and distinguished career in radio, but has also made a huge dent in in film, book sales, and television. And, is going to be a big factor in the future of satelite radio.
Old 01-06-2006, 04:03 PM   #248
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I'm off to go (ugh) work out (freaking New Year's resolutions).

Maple Leafs has my pick.
Old 01-06-2006, 04:05 PM   #249
Swaggs
Coordinator

With pick 6.1, we will round our sketch comedy team with (surprisingly) a second non-SNL member. I pick Tracey Ullman.

She has been the creative mind behind two different Emmy winning sketch shows, the first of which spawned a little cartoon known as the Simpsons.
Old 01-06-2006, 04:21 PM   #250
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Albion sent his pick:

Dan Akroyd (movies)