Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-12-2005, 07:47 AM   #201
cougarfreak
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riggins44
I agree. I must be getting old or something because I ain't liking it. Gameplay doesn't seem fun to me anymore. Everything seems stiff and unresponsive. I really liked NCAA 2004 and ESPN 2k5. This years NCAA and Madden are beyond me I guess. Not fun at all.

Perhaps it's time to unload the xbox.

You guys with XBOX button problems should try the coach mode, good stuff.
cougarfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 08:05 AM   #202
Emiliano
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
I love that games are defensive battles without it being cheap. I've never felt a console football game really had the potential to have consistent defensive battles. Madden does so far for me. Most of my games have been 21-13 or 14-13 or somewhere in that range. I've only had 1 blowout where it was 38-6. I had one 10-3 game!

So true. I'm really struggling to get the offense going. My first franchise game finished 10-9, a really defensive battle.
Old 08-12-2005, 08:48 AM   #203
Emiliano
College Prospect

Question for the guys playing franchise: have you noticed that there's an injury slider? How do you set it? I've putted it all to the max, and after years and years I'm finally seeing players injured on the field. Actually, I think I'm seeing TOO MUCH injuries. I knocked out 3 (!) Broncos RB in a half!!! Fortunately, the Broncos have like 6 or 7 RBs, so not a problem for them... Anyway, I think I'm gonna lower the slider a bit, I just wanted to know your settings.

Another injury-related thing: it's still not possible to sign a replacement guy after you've putted a player in injured reserve. I hate that EA forgets these things... I mean, WTF is the point of injured reserve then???
Old 08-12-2005, 09:06 AM   #204
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I'm not sure about either of your questions, but I'm wondering if default injury level might be too much as well. In 2 pre-season games (one in my franchise and one in my superstar mode) I've injured 4 guys for at least 9 weeks (longest was for 14 weeks.) Then again, that might just be approaching reality
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 09:45 AM   #205
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

How about playing vs the CPU AI. I've read on AP the CPU doesn't put up enough offense, is this true?
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 09:49 AM   #206
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
How about playing vs the CPU AI. I've read on AP the CPU doesn't put up enough offense, is this true?

Well against the Eagles' defense, most teams haven't put up too many points but the Patriots put up 21 I think.

Last night in my pre-season game with the Lions vs the Jets (in superstar mode) the Jets put up 24 on me with default All Pro settings.

I'm not sure if I need any slider tweakage or not, but I might end up slightly boosting the settings for the CPU on All Pro.
Old 08-12-2005, 09:55 AM   #207
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah

dont worry Todd

Sliders will fix that.

i also reading that some people like All-Madden level this year over all-pro.

some are saying All-pro is like pro last year and All-Madden is like All-pro last year.
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 10:01 AM   #208
jbmagic
Pro Starter

has anyone seen a cpu team's quarterback with a small cone do well with the QB vision on against you?

Last edited by jbmagic : 08-12-2005 at 10:06 AM.
Old 08-12-2005, 10:16 AM   #209
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic
has anyone seen a cpu team's quarterback with a small cone do well with the QB vision on against you?

Brooks Bollinger did well in a half against the Lion's second team defense last night. He completed about 55% for a little over 130 yards.

His cone was small.
Old 08-12-2005, 10:22 AM   #210
CraigSca
Pro Starter

For crying out loud, size doesn't matter!
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 11:00 AM   #211
hukarez
College Starter

Quote:
some are saying All-pro is like pro last year and All-Madden is like All-pro last year.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I could have sworn that the same thing was said about 2005 to 2004...
Filipino Martial Arts Digest
tweet tweet twitter
hukarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 11:13 AM   #212
hukarez
College Starter

BTW,

I also heard that Brock Lesnar is available in the game as a Free Agent DT. Anyone have a chance to confirm this?
tweet tweet twitter
Old 08-12-2005, 11:17 AM   #213
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I'll check tonight if no one else has checked earlier about Lesnar.

I don't buy that All-Pro is like Pro last year. Pro last year was VERY easy for me even the first time I turned it on. All-Pro offers just about the right challenge for my skill level now.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 08-12-2005 at 11:18 AM.
Old 08-12-2005, 12:16 PM   #214
hukarez
College Starter

Quote:
I'll check tonight if no one else has checked earlier about Lesnar.

I'm not sure if it was before or after the roster update, FYI. I'm assuming it was with the original rosters, though I haven't had a chance to carouse through the free agents after I had acquired the roster update.
tweet tweet twitter
Old 08-12-2005, 12:33 PM   #215
aran
High School Varsity

Well, i played another game last night, and i find the passing cone to be nothing but a hinderance. I do things completely the same way as i would have in '05, i just have to press two more buttons before i pass the ball. Also, it's annoying as hell to have to press R2, then R1 to pass to an RB. I usually just have my index fingers on the R/L triggers.
aran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 01:14 PM   #216
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I had read that All-Madden was supposedly like last year's All-Pro, so I had been playing on All-Madden. After getting my ass kicked by Houston 87-16, I think I'm going to play on All-Pro with Playmakers' sliders, at least for one game.
Old 08-12-2005, 01:29 PM   #217
korme
Go Reds

Last year I was nasty in All-Madden. Like no team human or computer could fuck with my default Seahawks.

This year, I suspect, it will be different.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 01:34 PM   #218
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors
I had read that All-Madden was supposedly like last year's All-Pro, so I had been playing on All-Madden. After getting my ass kicked by Houston 87-16, I think I'm going to play on All-Pro with Playmakers' sliders, at least for one game.

I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts about the slider set(s.) I really like the default All-Pro, but I'm thinking about trying out the sliders if they make the game even better with fewer pancake blocks.
Old 08-12-2005, 05:31 PM   #219
jbmagic
Pro Starter

What does offensive and defensive pass assistant do? Its on by default.

what affects does it have?

do you guys play with it off or on?
Old 08-12-2005, 06:13 PM   #220
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
What does offensive and defensive pass assistant do? Its on by default.

what affects does it have?

do you guys play with it off or on?

Whoa, I don't know about this option. Where'd you find it?
Old 08-12-2005, 06:15 PM   #221
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I think it's on the settings play under gameplay?

I leave it on by default even though I'm not positive what it does.

Edit: I suspect it makes your receivers and defensive backs go more aggressively for the ball without switching to them, but that is just a guess.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 08-12-2005 at 06:15 PM.
Old 08-12-2005, 06:38 PM   #222
ageofquarrel
H.S. Freshman Team

Offensive and defensive pass assistinntce was in last years too. All it is if you switch to a WR or defensive player while the ball is in the air he we go for the catch without you hitting the Y(Xbox) or Triangle(ps2) button.
ageofquarrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 08:12 PM   #223
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ageofquarrel
Offensive and defensive pass assistinntce was in last years too. All it is if you switch to a WR or defensive player while the ball is in the air he we go for the catch without you hitting the Y(Xbox) or Triangle(ps2) button.

thanks

manual catching the ball is so hard.

i just let my qb throw it and let the cpu catch it for me.
Old 08-12-2005, 08:29 PM   #224
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

If true, this is awesome (taken from the sportblog and posted by Bill Abner who took it from a madden forum.):

Cut and pasted from a Madden forum:

"When you get to the line of scrimmage, do not snap the ball until you see the center call out blitz assignments (if time allows), blocking will be substantially better if you wait until that point. Otherwise blitzers may come through untouched."

I had no idea this was the case. I thought it was a filler animation. I love it when I learn new stuff.
Old 08-12-2005, 08:36 PM   #225
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
If true, this is awesome (taken from the sportblog and posted by Bill Abner who took it from a madden forum.):

"When you get to the line of scrimmage, do not snap the ball until you see the center call out blitz assignments (if time allows), blocking will be substantially better if you wait until that point. Otherwise blitzers may come through untouched."

I had no idea this was the case. I thought it was a filler animation. I love it when I learn new stuff.

i tought that slide offensive line protection you can do helps if you see a blitz coming from the left, right or middle.

also you guys dont like the black and white button for WR on the xbox? no problem goto controller config on the menu and choose Madden 2005. Now you will have the left and right button back for WR
Old 08-12-2005, 09:32 PM   #226
aran
High School Varsity

I just noticed something that's quite annoying.

I'm playing superstar mode with a RB who's a 90 in his rookie season (after a pretty good training camp) on the Lions. I'm playing the first game vs. green bay. On TWO different times in the first half, i try to throw a swing pass to my Superstar character when he's in the vision cone and about five yards into the route. Both times he was wide open AND the QB was standing still, not using precision passing. I throw the ball to him, and Harrington THROWS IT OUT oF BOUNDS. It freakin' cost me two potential scoring drives. Those were the only two swing passes i threw that half because after the second one failed ridiculously, i gave up on them all together.

That, and the ridiculous leaping ability of the LBs and some CBs makes this game really annoying on All-Pro sometimes.
aran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 09:37 PM   #227
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I did very nice with swing passes to Cory, the Lion's FB last night. Are you lobbing them, or throwing them hard. I've found that if I lob them, Joey seems to be more inaccurate on that pattern.
Old 08-12-2005, 10:17 PM   #228
hukarez
College Starter

Quote:

This just might save my Xbox controller's life. I wasn't aware of this; as I usually get a bit impatient from time to time.
tweet tweet twitter
Old 08-12-2005, 10:26 PM   #229
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hukarez
This just might save my Xbox controller's life. I wasn't aware of this; as I usually get a bit impatient from time to time.

i think the slide protection is better to use for your offensive line.

it really helps a lot on blitz
Old 08-12-2005, 10:26 PM   #230
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I've always snapped the ball too early too. I've had blitzes just nail me right away. I'm hoping this works. I'm trying this out now as well as trying out Level #2 of Playmaker's "final" sliders. I'm trying some exhibition games to see if they play a better game IMO, than the default game does.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 08-12-2005 at 10:27 PM.
Old 08-12-2005, 10:32 PM   #231
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
i think the slide protection is better to use for your offensive line.

it really helps a lot on blitz

How about using slide protection and letting your center call out assignments?
Old 08-12-2005, 10:43 PM   #232
hukarez
College Starter

Quote:
I've always snapped the ball too early too. I've had blitzes just nail me right away. I'm hoping this works. I'm trying this out now as well as trying out Level #2 of Playmaker's "final" sliders. I'm trying some exhibition games to see if they play a better game IMO, than the default game does.

I think those are the same sliders that I'm using myself. The PA in this game is getting my QB sacked way too often, though I'm hoping those are due to my other inconsistencies with the other parts of my offense.

As for the Punt Returns/Fair Catches issue, I'm able to return 1 punt for each 6 or 7 punts my way. Frustrating, but I've still consistently sucked. I can't get a running game going, and the defense picks up on my passing game due to my ineptitude with my RB.

I think I'll have to bump up Run Blocking a couple of notches -- I can't break anything more than 2-3 yards, and I use a variety of running plays too. Erg...
tweet tweet twitter
Old 08-12-2005, 10:45 PM   #233
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

No holes ever open up for me on running plays up the middle. The only way I can run is to use off tackles, sweeps and just have a fast back.
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 10:55 PM   #234
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinifan999
No holes ever open up for me on running plays up the middle. The only way I can run is to use off tackles, sweeps and just have a fast back.

i have some success. dont hit the sprint button until you pass the definsive line.
Old 08-12-2005, 10:57 PM   #235
jbmagic
Pro Starter

hukarez

you using the lastest sliders by Playmaker?
http://dynamic.gamespy.com/~fof/foru...&postcount=220

do level 2 first.
Old 08-12-2005, 11:28 PM   #236
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

So, what's the official verdict on the game. Im thinking about making the purchase but am afraid it wont be fun gameplay wise.
Old 08-13-2005, 12:13 AM   #237
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I find this game to be a blast gameplay wise. Furthermore, I think the franchise mode is better than past versions.

I find that using slide protection AND waiting for my center to point out the assignments is making my blitz protection more effective. As a result, we picked up one jailhouse blitz and McNabb made a perfect pass to T.O. for a 54 yard gain before T.O was tackled inside the 5.

I tried those level 2 sliders, and I really liked them except I thought they made rushing too hard. Then again, I was playing against the Steelers who do have a good front 7. So, I need quite a more games to decide if these sliders need tweaking for me. However, against the Steelers, Westbrook was under 2 yards per carry. Against their second team, Buckhalter broke two long runs and managed a 5 YPC average. The sliders improved the passing game for me in this one game. However, McMahon still threw inaccurately at times and missed two wide open receivers.

Anyway, I try some more games with these sliders tomorrow.
Old 08-13-2005, 12:28 AM   #238
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I'm having serious trouble with my pass protection. I know that the Broncos are much more known for their run blocking than their pass blocking, and I also need to adjust to the game. Even though it's kicking my ass, I still like it.
Old 08-13-2005, 01:21 AM   #239
jbmagic
Pro Starter

i am having trouble with qb vision with the cones.

i getting sack too much.

any tips in using it?

i think i need more practice.
Old 08-13-2005, 02:58 AM   #240
hukarez
College Starter

Quote:
hukarez

you using the lastest sliders by Playmaker?
http://dynamic.gamespy.com/~fof/forums/showpost.php?p=864759&postcount=220

do level 2 first.

Yeah, I'm using those. Saw your post earlier in the evening, and adjusted accordingly. I either had a serious degradation of my console football skills, or I'm just not 'used' to sports games on consoles these days, but my offense is atrocious.

I messed around with SD, and I figured LT would end up at least breaking 3 yards or so. I don't know, but one thing's for sure -- that little tip Eaglesfan mentioned in regards to the center calling the blitz animation thing *definately* helped. It was to the point where I can see a difference in my running game (getting some 6 yarders, a 4 yarder, etc...).

My passing, however. Well, I don't know. I probably should practice more, but to be frank -- I end up giving up on my game so I won't smash my controller. I lose my temper a lot, and verbally express myself with a vengeance comparable to that of a Cambodian against the rest of the Asian populace.
tweet tweet twitter
Old 08-13-2005, 10:16 AM   #241
j51
Mascot

Whats different in franchise mode? It feels exactly the same to me.
j51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 11:29 AM   #242
hukarez
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinifan999

Much more lucky than I. I've noticed on occasional sweeps and tosses, I'll have my lead blocker completely ignore a linebacker coming in. The only time I see him react, is when I'm wrapped up.

FWIW, I definately don't use the 'sprint' or any other buttons.
tweet tweet twitter
Old 08-13-2005, 11:52 AM   #243
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by j51
Whats different in franchise mode? It feels exactly the same to me.

The draft and Free Agent AI is improved from my 3 times simming through a season and going into the second season. It's not perfect, but it is significantly better than last year.

That is the only difference that I've seen.
Old 08-13-2005, 11:56 AM   #244
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

jbmagic, I wish you (and he) wouldn't just delete the old sliders so I could see what is different and just adjust that. Now, I have to count everything off again if I want to use his sliders.
Old 08-13-2005, 11:57 AM   #245
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Eaglefan27

any good tips when passing. i know some say 3-5 steps back and throw.

but how are you scanning thru all your wr quickly and throwing without holding the ball too long.

thanks
Old 08-13-2005, 11:58 AM   #246
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I'm going to test these newer sliders and see if the rushing YPC is more reasonable. I like the somewhat lowered pancake blocks. My highest player had 3 last game, the CPU's highest player had 4, but then again that was in only a half of play (since it is pre-season) so I'm not sure if these sliders really lower pancake blocks enough to be worth it yet. I don't want to ruin the YPC which were close to perfect for me on default just to lower the Pancake blocking.
Old 08-13-2005, 12:03 PM   #247
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Eaglefan27

any good tips when passing. i know some say 3-5 steps back and throw.

but how are you scanning thru all your wr quickly and throwing without holding the ball too long.

thanks

McNabb can usually see 2 receivers when I play with him. I always choose a deeper route to lock onto, and if I don't see that open I usually throw to the underneath receiver (usually the TE or back) who is open. As far as McMahon (and other smaller cones) I try to be smart about who I lock onto first, and I use the R Trigger to go to my 2nd guy quickly if it looks like he isn't open. I never usually have a chance to go through more than my 2nd option. I also tried a game with Brady, and it was so much easier because he could see so much of the field at once.

Also, I've thrown somewhat successfully with McNabb to receivers who aren't in his cone if they are wide open. He usually throws it a bit behind them (sometimes he throws it completely over their head or too short) and it slows them up, but it is still usually good for a quick 5-7 yards before the defense wraps them up.

Last night in my pre-season game, I wasn't looking at Westbrook but he was wide open. I threw it to him right before the defense got to McNabb, Westbrook made a great catch of the pass that was somewhat behind him, recovered, juked a LB, and ran for 25 yards before the safety caught him.
Old 08-13-2005, 12:07 PM   #248
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
jbmagic, I wish you (and he) wouldn't just delete the old sliders so I could see what is different and just adjust that. Now, I have to count everything off again if I want to use his sliders.

but he explains what he change. i include it all.

look at his notes on the sliders and you will see what he change.

Quote:
OFFENSE***CHANGES WERE MADE TO BOTH CPU & HUMAN BLK SLIDERS***

Last edited by jbmagic : 08-13-2005 at 12:08 PM.
Old 08-13-2005, 12:11 PM   #249
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Oh, I missed that. So, nothing else was changed, I assume.
Old 08-13-2005, 12:12 PM   #250
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Oh, I missed that. So, nothing else was changed, I assume.

correct