Oh, also found something amusing too:

http://www.somethingawful.com/articles.php?a=3097
Filipino Martial Arts Digest
tweet tweet twitter
hukarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 09:21 AM   #202
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Just a quick question for anyone playing this.. the in game voice/mic stuff (VoiP I believe).. Is it necessary to have to play? recommended or? I don't currently own a mic for the computer and While I know it would greatly enhance gameplay didn't know if it would put me at a disadvantage to not have... (suppose if I was a squad leader it would...)
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 11:28 AM   #203
hukarez
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang
Just a quick question for anyone playing this.. the in game voice/mic stuff (VoiP I believe).. Is it necessary to have to play? recommended or? I don't currently own a mic for the computer and While I know it would greatly enhance gameplay didn't know if it would put me at a disadvantage to not have... (suppose if I was a squad leader it would...)

To be really honest with you -- not many people seem to use it. I know a lot of the European servers that I'm on, they use it, but I wouldn't say that it's a necessary thing. If you're in a squad, you get orders via the command rose and respond accordingly.

I only use it to talk to friends whom I play with in the same squad -- however, it's been very, very tempermental. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I'm hoping this gets addressed in a patch, because I'm not privvy to installing a 3rd party application for VoIP.
tweet tweet twitter
Old 08-05-2005, 06:40 AM   #204
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Bought this on a business trip to San Jose and finally got a chance to play this (for real) last night, after returning home on a red eye that morning. Omg, this game is addictive! Despite having about 3 hours of sleep the previous 36 hours, I couldn't stop playing and finally turned in at 2am.

I like the fact that there is some strategy involved and though I was one of the worst people out there, I did get my share of kills (there's nothing like a firefight between two people spaced 100 feet apart). The tension you feel when you're coming up on a (supposedly) deserted town with the enemy flag flying high is a lot of fun.

Very nice game and very approachable. Now, if I can just figure out how to keep my helicopter from crashing...
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 08:52 AM   #205
hukarez
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca
Very nice game and very approachable. Now, if I can just figure out how to keep my helicopter from crashing...

Let me know when you figure this out! I found a really good 'jet' guide on another board, but nothing real good on a helicopter as of late. Had a good match last night (been playing every day with a buddy), and managed to get my 1st Gold Star medal on a 64 player server. I have /no/ clue how that happened, and/or how I racked up quite a bit of points, but it's nice to finally have a Gold Star at the least.

Lots of other folks seem pretty good with the chopper -- all the vehicles were filled up from the get go, and I'm reverting back to my original kit that I started out playing in (Support). For some reason, it feels better being support when you're PLA instead of USMC. At least, for me it is...
tweet tweet twitter
Old 08-06-2005, 11:01 PM   #206
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca
I like the fact that there is some strategy involved and though I was one of the worst people out there,

If you play with me, I'M the worst out there.. yeesh...

I've had guys right in front of me and can't kill them... I think my kill rate is 1:5

I..

stink...
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Old 08-10-2005, 08:25 AM   #207
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

This is probably an easy one but, any way to change your kit and spawn point when you die? Seems like the only time I'm able to do that is when my initial spawn point is taken over... (maybe that is the only time, not sure)

Finally earned my first badge.. transport. Ohhhhhh.. excitin'
Old 08-10-2005, 09:28 AM   #208
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Press enter
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 11:47 AM   #209
hukarez
College Starter

Managed to hitch a ride on a F-15 as the rear passenger. It's actually not too bad, right-clicking enables the laser guided missile, and once you're locked onto a target, just left-click! I think I got 5 kills this way, which was pretty nice, as we were in the air for about 15 minutes before getting shot.

As for the Apache, those controls are things I need to get used to. I managed to stay in the air for a good five minutes, and didn't even crash this time around. Of course, the other opponent's Apache shot me out of the sky, after a brief chase through some valleys.

It was pretty fun, though my gunner was having difficulty trying to hit targets. I have to admit, working with the chopper is proving to be a very, very challenging task in it's own right, and it just seems that I have a better chance of controlling the Huey than the Apache, which seems more sensitive.

Now if I could only figure out a more efficient and quicker way of slowing down, and 'landing' (or hovering) to pick people up. I understand you're supposed to tilt the nose a bit upwards, but I end up going in reverse, and I wasn't sure if I was supposed to just idly 'tap' the W key, or hold down the 'S' key in this instance.

So far, I'm enjoying it. All of this was done via keyboard and mouse, and I hear that with a joystick, you can manually maintain the throttle speed on the fighter planes as opposed to 'taps' via keyboard.
tweet tweet twitter
Old 08-10-2005, 12:16 PM   #210
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Wish there was a standalone practice mode for learning to fly.
Old 08-10-2005, 02:15 PM   #211
kmbgolf
n00b

I got a 1.5 g laptop will it run it?...........thks
kmbgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 02:26 PM   #212
hukarez
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmbgolf
I got a 1.5 g laptop will it run it?...........thks

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
  • Windows XP (32-bit) with Admin rights
  • 1.7 GHz Intel Celeron D / Pentium 4 or AMD Athlon XP/ Sempron or greater
  • 512 MB of RAM or more
  • 8x or faster CD/DVD drive
  • 2.3 GB free hard drive space or more
  • DirectX 9.0c compatible (see video)
  • DirectX 9.0c compatible
VIDEO
Video card must have 128 MB or more memory and one of the following chipsets:
  • NVIDIA GeForce FX 5700 or greater
  • ATI Radeon 8500 or greater
It gets a bit taxing on my system, more so due to the fact that it's quite a memory hog.
tweet tweet twitter
Old 08-10-2005, 02:32 PM   #213
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hukarez
So far, I'm enjoying it. All of this was done via keyboard and mouse, and I hear that with a joystick, you can manually maintain the throttle speed on the fighter planes as opposed to 'taps' via keyboard.

Haven't flown a helo but I'm pretty comfortably flying a jet with mouse and keyboard. I have a logitech gaming mouse and I use one of the thumb buttons to keep accelerating. I just keep my thumb on that button the entire time I'm flying. I do need to work on my bombing runs as I never seem to kill anyone with them.
Old 08-10-2005, 02:34 PM   #214
John Travolta
n00b

Oops. I thought this thread was "Battlefield Earth 2". I was gonna be pissed if they made a sequel without me. Still kinda sensitive after Grease 2.
John Travolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 02:40 PM   #215
hukarez
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazFTW
Haven't flown a helo but I'm pretty comfortably flying a jet with mouse and keyboard. I have a logitech gaming mouse and I use one of the thumb buttons to keep accelerating. I just keep my thumb on that button the entire time I'm flying. I do need to work on my bombing runs as I never seem to kill anyone with them.

Which Logitech Gaming Mouse are you using? I'm in the market for a new keyboard and mouse, as it's been 'stuttering' on me as of late - though, I can never get used to those trackball mice. Don't know what it is, exactly...thought it was the BF2 game itself, and I could swear that I've got a clean surface for my optical mouse movement and what not.

My only beef with actually piloting a jet, is overshooting places on the map. I know for a fact that I don't use the afterburners, as I'm busy trying to get back into the playing field.
tweet tweet twitter
Old 08-10-2005, 02:46 PM   #216
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

I have the MX510.
Old 08-10-2005, 03:16 PM   #217
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I have the MX510.

I bought one of those today. I wanted some extra mouse buttons for going prone and switching weapons...
Old 08-10-2005, 03:27 PM   #218
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Finally got the sniper badge...though it got me kicked from a server.

One map has this giant hotel with a flag near a pool. I would climb the ladder and place a mine at the top of the ladder. I was leading in kills for our team, but I guess one too many teammates did not like getting blown up, and I was kicked, without warning.

Sucked.
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 03:52 PM   #219
hukarez
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwikshot
Finally got the sniper badge...though it got me kicked from a server.

One map has this giant hotel with a flag near a pool. I would climb the ladder and place a mine at the top of the ladder. I was leading in kills for our team, but I guess one too many teammates did not like getting blown up, and I was kicked, without warning.

Sucked.

Happen to remember the Server Name/IP stuff? A buddy of mine and I were playing on a ranked server that belonged to some '6th Armored Division' clan. In any case, one of the clan members TK'ed my buddy. Normally, we'd forgive if there was some kind of apology, but after awhile, my buddy ended up not forgiven that TK'er.

Needless to say, he was promptly kicked from the server without any warning. I've pretty much blacklisted that 6th Armored Division server (it's in the server name) from my list of places to play at.
tweet tweet twitter
Old 08-10-2005, 06:05 PM   #220
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hukarez
Happen to remember the Server Name/IP stuff? A buddy of mine and I were playing on a ranked server that belonged to some '6th Armored Division' clan. In any case, one of the clan members TK'ed my buddy. Normally, we'd forgive if there was some kind of apology, but after awhile, my buddy ended up not forgiven that TK'er.

Needless to say, he was promptly kicked from the server without any warning. I've pretty much blacklisted that 6th Armored Division server (it's in the server name) from my list of places to play at.

Think it was a comcast server actually, I felt bad, but strategically, I needed that access closed off. Live and learn.
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 06:22 PM   #221
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Yeah teammates tend to see those skulls/red x's and think let's run on top of them and see what happens! Or better yet you call an artilerry strike on a place, watch about 7 guys run straight to it, and just wonder what the fuck are these people thinking.
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 06:29 PM   #222
Superman=#54
High School Varsity

I want to get Battlefield 2, but my problem is that my laptop blows away all the system requirements except the video card.

I have a Radeon 9600 with 64 MB ram.

I came up 64 MB of video ram short. I have a AMD 64 3200 processor and 512 MB of ram. Has anyone been successful using the Radeon 9600 64MB version for playing Battlefield 2?
Superman=#54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 07:04 PM   #223
hukarez
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwikshot
Think it was a comcast server actually, I felt bad, but strategically, I needed that access closed off. Live and learn.

Well, at least they were team kills or anything.

I had played support on a particular map, I think it was Mashtuur City, and some Sniper needed some ammo. Needless to say, he was stationed on the roof. Right at the top of the ladder, he fails to mention that he's setup a claymore mine, which was the end of me -- and another on the secondary ladder. 2 TKs, and I don't know why I forgave both of them, since I didn't even get a support/resupply point out of it!
tweet tweet twitter
Old 08-10-2005, 07:33 PM   #224
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Mashtuur City is pretty much the only map I snipe on. It just seems so perfect for an urban sniper.

I earned a Basic Helicopter badge and a Meritorious Unit ribbon in my last go around with BF2. Still haven't gotten one of the stars though.
Old 08-11-2005, 01:00 AM   #225
hukarez
College Starter

Quote:
Mashtuur City is pretty much the only map I snipe on. It just seems so perfect for an urban sniper.

I earned a Basic Helicopter badge and a Meritorious Unit ribbon in my last go around with BF2. Still haven't gotten one of the stars though.

Just wrapped up a couple hours of playing online, Mashtuur City being one of the maps. I managed to get my Basic Spec Ops badge on this map -- all by accumulating 41 out of my 47 points within a tank.

I'm surprised I wasn't blown up, as I was taking folks out, and took down the USMC chopper twice. It was probably the only time I felt incredibly 'superior', taking folks out without much hassle. Still, I have to cherish the other points that I earned via C4 on the tank and flag defense.

At this rate, I'm about a 1/4th the way to Corporal! G36C, here I come! (I hope)
tweet tweet twitter
Old 08-13-2005, 11:25 AM   #226
hukarez
College Starter

I think I'm getting used to piloting via keyboard and mouse with the chopper stuff. Landing, however...well. I'll tackle that later on.

I got a ribbon I didn't think I'd get last night: Basic Command, as I don't often get opportunities to take over (or a real desire to, as I'm not quite used to the clicks and the right clicks, etc...) -- but I guess calling Artillery where all the red dots are is always useful!

It actually earned me a Basic Engineer badge at the same time (been busy repairing my own satellite uplinks and artillery), as I'm not used to supply dropping crates by them.

I think I'm getting the hang of the game...though, I'd probably want to figure out the quirks and perks of each map -- especially Karkand. Didn't realize there were two alternate routes folks take to get in deep to MEC territory.

BTW, does anyone use the 'English Voice Only' option under audio? Where if you're MEC, you hear Arabic, and if you're PLA, you'll hear Chinese...but if you select the English Voice Only, it'll always be as if you're on the USMC team?

I've noticed that sometimes, in the game itself, you can make out the other radio commands and voices if you're nearby somebody else. I had it selected to 'English Only', but when I thought somebody needed ammo on my team, it turned out it was some MEC guy -- who promptly knifed me.
tweet tweet twitter
Old 08-13-2005, 12:27 PM   #227
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Whenever you join a server where there's a good blackhawk pilot and you get into one of the machine gun ports, major points. Must've gone about 22:3 with about 70 points in 1 round last night.
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 01:14 PM   #228
kingfc22
Head Coach

Are there any free demos for this game?
Old 08-13-2005, 01:46 PM   #229
hukarez
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22
Are there any free demos for this game?

There are! Here:

http://www.eagames.com/official/batt.../downloads.jsp
tweet tweet twitter
Old 08-13-2005, 02:49 PM   #230
jaygr
H.S. Freshman Team

If this isn't ok to post here, please feel free to remove it.

But, is anyone interesting in joining a BF2 clan? I was debating whether or not to post this here because I didn't want to sound like I am advertising, but I want to because the type of people here are exactly the type of people we are looking for.

For starters, here is the official message from the leader, I'll add my own remarks after it:
"The Pact is a mature-minded group of people who enjoy the teamwork & friendship of others like ourselves. We have been around for over 6 years starting with Quake-world Team Fortress, into Half-life Team Fortress Classic and now into Battlefield 2.

We are an experienced clan that believes in honor, sportsmanship, hard work and a good attitude.

If this sounds like the type of group you would like to play with, send me an email at [email protected] and I will send you an application."

Basically we are a really laid-back mature minded group. We are definitely one of the have fun type clans as opposed to hardcore win win win ones. We accept people on the basis of their personalities and attitude and not really skill. So don't assume you have to be some super great player.

We have a great group of guys, most of which I consider friends in real life, and we have had 3 gatherings so far over the years where we met up and hung out and had a blast. We have very good people. Like I mentioned, we are mature-minded, in fact for this BF2 run of the clan I believe I am the youngest at 23, and I believe 4 of the memebers are over 30.

Also, we do have our own ranked server. Whether you are interested in the clan or not, please feel free to play on the server, the ip is bf2.clanpact.com. We run a tight ship on it so you should have a fun and pleasent experience there.

Check out our website at http://www.clanpact.com. We are still working finishing up our application page for the website, so if you are intresting in joining please email our leader at [email protected] and he will send you the brief app. Thanks guys. Again, if this sort of thing is frowned upon here, please feel free to delete this.
jaygr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 05:48 PM   #231
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Sounds interesting, even if I would be the youngest at 21 :P What does everyone else think?
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 11:40 PM   #232
hukarez
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vexroid
Sounds interesting, even if I would be the youngest at 21 :P What does everyone else think?
Now I'm feeling old, even though I'm not 30 yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaygr
If this isn't ok to post here, please feel free to remove it.

But, is anyone interesting in joining a BF2 clan? I was debating whether or not to post this here because I didn't want to sound like I am advertising, but I want to because the type of people here are exactly the type of people we are looking for.

For starters, here is the official message from the leader, I'll add my own remarks after it:
"The Pact is a mature-minded group of people who enjoy the teamwork & friendship of others like ourselves. We have been around for over 6 years starting with Quake-world Team Fortress, into Half-life Team Fortress Classic and now into Battlefield 2.

We are an experienced clan that believes in honor, sportsmanship, hard work and a good attitude.

If this sounds like the type of group you would like to play with, send me an email at [email protected] and I will send you an application."

Basically we are a really laid-back mature minded group. We are definitely one of the have fun type clans as opposed to hardcore win win win ones. We accept people on the basis of their personalities and attitude and not really skill. So don't assume you have to be some super great player.

We have a great group of guys, most of which I consider friends in real life, and we have had 3 gatherings so far over the years where we met up and hung out and had a blast. We have very good people. Like I mentioned, we are mature-minded, in fact for this BF2 run of the clan I believe I am the youngest at 23, and I believe 4 of the memebers are over 30.

Also, we do have our own ranked server. Whether you are interested in the clan or not, please feel free to play on the server, the ip is bf2.clanpact.com. We run a tight ship on it so you should have a fun and pleasent experience there.

Check out our website at http://www.clanpact.com. We are still working finishing up our application page for the website, so if you are intresting in joining please email our leader at [email protected] and he will send you the brief app. Thanks guys. Again, if this sort of thing is frowned upon here, please feel free to delete this.
You know, I had thought about joining a clan awhile ago, but found out that a lot of them have some sort of 'committed time' to playing. Such as, so many hours during the week or so, etc...etc...

I'm a pretty sporadic gamer when it comes to certain titles. FarCry was on again, off again (such as played it heavily for a month, quit for a month, picked it up 2 months later, etc...etc...)

As for Battlefield 2, while I still play it quite frequently, I wouldn't want to join up and say, "Oh hey! Sorry, just wasn't in the mood to play for that 2 month period I was away shortly after joining.", etc...etc...

EDIT: BTW, the 'teamwork' thing did strike a chord. Had a couple sessions tonight where my entire team seemed to be nothing but a bunch of baboons. No order, and an inept commander who didn't bother with many requests for supplies/orders/uav/arty strikes.

Especially on maps we should've easily won, we found a way to lose. I think I've reached my highest score ever (75ish?) and my buddy, who isn't really too good at these games, managed to score (95ish?). "Career highs" for both my buddy and I, and I consider myself an 'average' if not 'above average' gamer. Capturing flags, defending, etc...
tweet tweet twitter

Last edited by hukarez : 08-15-2005 at 11:42 PM.
Old 09-09-2005, 02:16 PM   #233
hukarez
College Starter

Found this on one of the BF2 boards:

BF2 patch 1.03
Alpha - 2 Sept
· Beta - 19 Sept
· Final - 23 Sept
· CQC/ECG Sub - 28 Sept
· Release - 3 Oct

Wake Island· In a surprise move, forces of the People's Liberation Army have attacked and captured Wake Island in a bid to threaten US lines of supply. USMC forces have been short-stopped from their deployment in Manchuria to respond to this new threat. The airbase on Wake Island is the lynchpin of the Chinese air threat, however it is highly susceptible to ground attack from either the northern

Compare Feature· By clicking the COMPARE button in BFHQ, you can search for another players name and load their current stats into BFHQ. Using the arrow buttons next to the name in the top-left corner of the menu, you can toggle between your stats and their stats. You can also load a player's stats by double-clicking on their name in any leaderboard.

Favorites/History· There is a new tab in the MULTIPLAYER menu that holds a list of the last 20 internet servers you have connected to, plus a list of servers you have selected as favorites.

BF2 Account Tag · You can add a 6-character prefix to your account nickname which will be displayed in-game next to your nametag in the scoresheet, in game messages, and above your player. This prefix does not change your account name or statistic information (e.g. the prefix does not appear next to your name on the leaderboards). You can change this prefix at any time at the account login menu.

Server Reserved Slots· Server admins can define a list of player BF2 account names which will reserve VIP slots on the server.

Engineer/Helicopter· Modified the rate at which engineer can repair a helicopter while sitting in the helicopter. It now takes longer for the engineer to repair the helicopter.

Vehicle/Control Point Capture· Only one person in a vehicle counts towards a control point capture. If passengers want to increase the rate of the flag change, they must disembark from the vehicle.

Vehicle/Soldier interaction· Improved physics of vehicles against soldiers so that soldiers are not as easily killed by moving vehicles. Bring on the wing-walkers!

Auto Balance· Auto team balance no longer moves the commander or squad leaders to the other team.

Point Farming· Limits placed on ability to point farm.

Rank/Awards· Criteria for gaining ranks and awards has been changed.

Supply Drop· The commander's supply drop now has an icon on the minimap and a 3D-map icon in the world.
** Still trying to confirm this
Source: http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=369755&pid=586499065&st=0&#ent ry586499065

Sounds like there might be a new map involved too.

Also, someone translated the page of another website:

Translated from www.battlefield2.nl

*Than 160 server - and clientside bugfixes more
*New ingame server browser with support for "favourites", "history" the servers visited for an overview of last and improved zoekalgoritme
*Squad leaders get reported if someone wants join itself at its closed squad
*Special Ops gets points if they break the radar, artillery or the UAV of the antagonist
*The support, Medic and Engineer class get a limit on the number of aid points that they can use deserve by of their special kit on each other player separately. These classes can continue use, however, their kit, they get only no extra points. (anti point-farming)
*If you sit in a vehicle you can see who still more in the vehicle to sit there, moreover to see you which kit they has
*In - and zoom out on the card it is adapted to the mapgrootte
*Teamkills are registered in a new manner and are settled. Thus it becomes impossible teamkills for for example bringing down the Black Hawk get helicopter which then prompt on a group team degrees crash down
*The transport helicopter is adapted. The Black Hawk get something less powerful onboard miniguns. Also it will be no longer possible the helicopter in air continue repair.
*The ticketratio of ranked server are made dependent of the maximum number of players. At present the ticketratio are dependent on the mapgrootte
*Better teambalance: commanders and squadleaders are no longer moved to the other team.

At this moment DICE work for very important features still two which has not been confirmed:

*The serverside software are extended with "reserved slots". Clanmembers can play this way always on the server. These reserved spelerslots confiscate up to 20% of the total number of slots and have been always reserved. If there no clanmembers use of this function, and this function stands activated wél in the configuration of the gameserver, then the server reserves always some slots.

*A new assessment in the ranks and medals which must ensure that starting players will increase more rapidly in rank and unlocked weapon to get. All players probably minimum één rank will increase.
There a real chance exists that above two features will not sit in the new patch! They will come then in één of the continuation patches."
tweet tweet twitter

Last edited by hukarez : 09-09-2005 at 02:18 PM.
Old 09-09-2005, 06:39 PM   #234
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Oct 3?!?
Old 09-12-2005, 08:48 PM   #235
Airhog
Captain Obvious

Here are a few tips I've found so far.

If your a commander of a squad, take a chopper and fly it over a cp. your squadmates can jump out of the chopper. if they die, they can respawn in the chopper. Try not to get killed as the squad leader. You can get close to an enemy CP and your teammates can use you as a spawn point.

If you wanna be a suicide bomber you can load up a buggy with mines. Then ram it into an enemy transport or tank. or drive it into the cp and hope you can nail 3-4 guys. You can do the same thing with C4, but remember, you have to pull the trigger to blow yourself up.

If you sneak inside a enemy base, you can also lay mines on their vehicles. Good for a few kills.

Learn to use the Function keys to quickly switch between seats in the vechicles.

Jump in a spawned jeep or buggy but don't move it. Switch over to the gunner. I have gotten several kills, because quite a few players will not pay any attention to a truck that hasnt moved any.

If you wanna play defense, pick a spawn that is away from the action. The enemy will usually try to go around the lines and flank your position from the rear.

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!
Airhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 09:34 PM   #236
hukarez
College Starter

I'm not so sure if they're going to be tweaking the damages of some weapons, and I've been reading on some boards that some folks have been rather lucky with 1-shot kills with the Anti-Tank kit against regular tanks.

I can't vouch for aiming for the tracks of the tank, but I'm told that a good hit to the top latch of the tank would suffice. Pretty much advantageous if you've got upper ground, and the tank's passing by. I've only been able to do this once, and I'm pretty sure the tank still had some decent armor -- no sparks, no smoking of any sort whatsoever.

I've played enough games of BF2 to figure out what most folks on the opposing team are doing -- more specifically, on the urban maps such as Karkand and Mashtuur City, and that one other map I can't quite recall...

Though, I have always wondered one thing about this game:

Why is it US vs MEC or US vs PLA, and not PLA vs MEC on some maps?

Everytime my buddy and I play, we always end up being the non-US team. Either that, or we're split up into opposing forces, and more likely than not, whichever one of us is on US is able to migrate over to the other force in due time...
tweet tweet twitter
Old 09-12-2005, 10:52 PM   #237
Airhog
Captain Obvious

I hope that they tweak damage a bit. Ive been able to take guys down from 30-50 feet with the shotgun. Not that Im complaining though

So far, I enjoy being the engineer the most. He is very good on those city maps, and I usually rack up the kills. Im not so big on those large outdoor maps though, especially the open ones. It seems like wherever I go, someone snipes me.

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!
Airhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 04:00 PM   #238
hukarez
College Starter

Patch v1.03

It's out! 171 meg in size, folks!

Quote:
================================================== ======================
Patch v1.03
================================================== ======================

NEW FEATURES

- Wake Island Map

Included a remade version of this popular BF1942 map.
Battlefield 2 version includes a 64 player layout and is
configured for multiplayer only.

- Server Favorites / History

There is a new tab in the MULTIPLAYER menu that holds a list of
the last 20 internet servers you have connected to, plus a list
of servers you have selected as favorites.

* Added a button to the other multiplayer tabs that adds the
currently highlighted server to your favorites list.
* Added buttons in the in-game server info menu (press TAB to
access) that will add or remove the server you are currently
playing on to / from your favorites list.

- Account Login Welcome Screen

After you login to an online account, a message appears that
contains BF2 news and information which updates periodically.

- Stat Compare

By clicking the COMPARE button in BFHQ, you can search for another
players name and load their current stats into BFHQ. Using the
arrow buttons next to the name in the top-left corner of the menu,
you can toggle between your stats and their stats.

You can also load a player's stats by double-clicking on their
name in any leaderboard.

- Nickname Prefix

You can add a 6-character prefix (such as a clan tag) to your
account nickname which will be displayed in-game next to your
nametag in the score menu, in game messages, and above your player
in the game world.

* This prefix does not change your account name or statistic
information (e.g. the prefix does not appear next to your name
on the leaderboards).
* You can change this prefix at any time at the account login
menu.

- Server Reserved Slots

You can define a list of player nicknames that will act as a
"reservation list" for your server.

* The list is located in mods\bf2\settings\ReservedSlots.con
* You can add player names to the list by editing the file and
adding the following text for each player :

reservedSlots.addNick

where is the player's registered account name,
not including a nickname prefix (see above).
* You can define the number of slots to set aside for reserved
players in the dedicated server launcher, or with the setting
sv.numReservedSlots in your serverSettings.con file.
* The number of players on the list and the number of reserved
slots does not necessarily have to be the same.

- Mod Support

There are several new changes that improve support for mods.

* When connecting to a server that is running a mod that you have
installed but not activated, it will be automatically activated
and you will load into the server.
* Added a filter on the server browser for servers running the
currently activated mod.
* Fixed dedicated server launcher to properly handle launching mods.
* Improved support for mods sharing archives with bf2

- Improvements to in-game HUD / Map

* The viewable area of the spawn menu / commander map is now scaled
based on the out-of-bounds area so that only the playable area
takes up the majority of viewable map space.
* The names of CPs are now displayed on the spawn menu / commander
map and minimap
* The minimap zoom level now changes dynamically depending on the
type of vehicle you are in. If you zoom in or out manually, that
zoom level is remembered for that vehicle type next time you use
it.
* The names of players in your vehicle are displayed in the HUD
when someone enters the vehicle or switches positions.
* There is a new element in vehicle HUDs that displays the reload
time for countermeasures (smoke and flares).
* Flags for each team are now displayed below their ticket count
on the minimap to make it easier to tell what team you are assigned to.

GAMEPLAY CHANGES

- Many criteria for ranks and awards have changed. If you are immediately
eligible for a new promotion, unlock, badge, award, or ribbon, it will
be awarded the next time you receive points on a ranked server.
- Only 1 player in a vehicle will get credit for or speed up capturing
a flag at a CP. The other passengers must exit the vehicle to increase
the speed of capture or receive capture score.
- Commanders no longer accrue a TK when artillery hits
teammates.
- The commander's supply drop now has an icon on the minimap and a 3D-
map icon in the world.
- Auto team balance no longer moves players to the other team if they
are a team commander or a squad leader.
- The wrench repair rate on helicopters has been decreased.
- You now receive 1 support point for destroying an enemy commander's
artillery, UAV or Radar station.
- If you have received a point for healing, repairing, or resupplying
a teammate, you will not receive another point from them for the same
action for a set period of time.
- Singleplayer enemies use the knife more effectively.
- New engine sounds for the T98 tank.
- New engine sounds for the China/MEC light jeep.
- New cannon sounds on APCs.

BUG FIXES

- Fixed physics of vehicles against soldiers so that soldiers are not
killed so easily by moving vehicles.
- Fixed a physics issue that can cause you to be stuck when falling into
shallow water
- Fixed an issue with soldier armor when spawning on a squad leader in a
vehicle
- Fixed some objects that caused vehicles to take massive collision damage
- Fixed erroneous message stating that you punished a TK when auto-
punish is OFF on the server.
- When a vehicle explodes due to external forces, the driver is no longer
mis-credited for the kills.
- Added turret movement sounds to several vehicles.
- Fixed an issue that caused crosshairs to stay on the screen when
switching camera views.
- Fixed an issue that caused the time limit status of the server not to be
sent to clients when it is changed by the server.
- Fixed server setting sv.allowExternalViews. Setting this to 0 will
disallow external views.
- Added setting for interfaceIP to the server launcher
- Changed automatic TK banning to ban by cd-key instead of IP address
- Improved the stability of secondary position turrets to reduce jerkiness
during movement.
- Fixed spawning on squad leaders to prevent players from spawning where
they should not.
- Fixed issue with auto team balance not sending new players to the team
with less players.
- Set T90 top hatch armor to "Front Armor".
- Set some wheels on jets and helpcopters to stronger armor to prevent
them from being destroyed instantly by AT missiles.
- Adjusted wheeled vehicle engines on hills to improve climbing.
- Changed the Commo-rose behavior so that player does not leave crouch
when using it.
- Passwords entered to join password protected servers are now cleared
after use.
- Improved PLAY NOW functionality.
- Fixed some memory usage issues in the front end.
- Fixed an issue allowing color changes in player name text.
- When you click on a server in the server browser, the information
from that server is updated to be more accurate.
- Fixed a crash in the Ranked Linux server when communication with stats
back-end ceased.
- Improved the behavior of AA missiles when locked on an enemy.
- Fixed an issue where parachuting soldiers could not be healed.
- Added the server port to the SERVER INFO tab.
- Removed the SERVER INFO tab when playing singleplayer
- Fixed an issue causing some soldier & vehicle control keys to be used
for in-game menus.
- Added new soldier artwork in BFHQ
- Added name of video director to credits
EDIT:

Snagged the above from a BF2 forum site. Apparently, the official EA site is being bombarded with downloaders, so I copied and pasted some links for alternative methods of retrieving the v1.03 patch:

EA Official:
ftp://largedownloads.ea.com/pub/patc..._patch_103.exe

GamerNode:
http://mtl.m-e-tech.com/gamernode/ga..._patch_103.exe

FileCloud:
http://www.filecloud.com/files/file.php?file_id=2209

FileShack:
http://www.fileshack.com/file.x?fid=7768

FilePlanet:
http://www.fileplanet.com/157421/150000/fileinfo/Battlefield-2-Patch-v1.03-%5BNew-Map!%5D?

BFNation:
http://www.bfnation.net/download/?file=bf2_patch_1_03

3DGamers:
http://www.3dgamers.com/dlselect/gam...h_103.exe.html

i3d:
http://filemirror.i3d.nl/www_i3d_nl_..._patch_1_1.zip

Fz.se:
http://www.fz.se/filarkiv/?file=spel..._Patch_103.exe

Tiscali:
http://home.tiscali.nl/mstronks/bf2_...atch_v_103.exe

Alz0rz:
http://www.alz0rz.net/bf2/bf2_patch_103.exe

Divo:
http://i.divo.net/tmp/bf2_patch_103.exe

ClanStar:
http://www.clanstar.com/downloads/bf2_patch_103.exe

GameSpot:
http://dlx.gamespot.com/pc/battlefie...o_6134930.html

Pirate Bay (Torrent):
http://thepiratebay.org/details.php?id=3392124
tweet tweet twitter

Last edited by hukarez : 10-04-2005 at 04:18 PM.
Old 10-04-2005, 09:38 PM   #239
hukarez
College Starter

Just had a few rounds with the latest BF2...

First off: I was relatively 5700 (and change) in my global score. I hadn't played since 9/5/05, and I was a bit rusty, and I was still a Lance Corporal.

Starting up a game with v1.03, after I had gained 1 point, I got promoted to Corporal (previously a 10k requirement). After a flag capture, I ended up getting promoted to Sergeant. After a kill, I ended up getting promoted to Staff Sergeant.

I thought there was some quirk going on, but it turns out that my next level will now by Gunnery Sergeant, and that I've got 4 unlocks!

G36C so far, in addition to the G3 that I had unlocked as Lance Corporal. Now I've got 2 unlocks to play around with...
tweet tweet twitter
Old 10-17-2005, 11:44 PM   #240
hukarez
College Starter

It took awhile, but finally there are official EA Battlefield 2 Forums:

http://forums.easports.com/mboards/c...&categoryID=19
tweet tweet twitter
Old 12-16-2005, 11:44 AM   #241
hukarez
College Starter

FYI -- there's a huge ass 280 meg patch available online, from late November. Latest version is: v1.12.

I'm not sure as to whether or not regular core BF2 players are able to join up with the Special Forces servers (never tried it yet).
tweet tweet twitter
Old 12-16-2005, 10:56 PM   #242
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

I'm almost sure that you cannot join Special Forces servers if you do not have the expansion. Those servers only run the SF maps and you need the expanison to run them.

I bought the expansion and I like the grappling hook, zip line, some of the maps and the new weapons you can unlock (the F2000 is the best gun ever made! [in BF2 anyway]). Special Forces is not perfect though as tear gas slows down my frame rate and the SF servers seem laggier than the normal servers.

They're working on patch 1.2 some of the fixes are

Quote:
- Helicopter now carry 8 missiles rather than 14
- TV-Guided missile now have a shorter range
- Hit points on all air vehicles has been reduced
- AA missile lock has been improved
- Support kits have had their primary weapons adjusted for accuracy
- Sniper kits have had their primary weapons adjusted for accuracy
- Anti-Tank kits have had their primary weapons adjusted for accuracy
- "Dolphin Diving" is no longer possible
- Players can no longer jump and shoot at the same time
- "Prone Spamming" is now fixed
- "Sprint exploit" is now fixed
- The Sa80 weapon has been improved
- The G3A3 weapon has been improved
- Reload while sprinting has been enabled
- Chinese and MEC APCs can now shoot through penetrable materials
- Damage decreased for the M134
- Medic defibrillator paddles have been adjusted. They now reload while not in use.

They're getting rid of bunny hopping!
Old 12-16-2005, 11:44 PM   #243
hukarez
College Starter

Quote:
They're getting rid of bunny hopping!
This pleases me greatly.
tweet tweet twitter