Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-01-2005, 09:15 PM   #201
KWhit
Coordinator

I think he's talking about sitting up at the seats around the stage and getting a "free show". Generally, one is expected to tip the ladies if sitting there, but it is usually not required. However, you may get a bouncer to come up to you and try to persuade you to start throwing your dollars at the girls.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 08:35 AM   #202
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Last night my wife and I went out to eat. As we finished eating our entrees, I spoke with her about this thread to see what her opinion would be.

Me: "There was a thread on the football board about tipping. Apparently there is a stereotype that blacks aren't very good tippers compared to others."

Her: "Well I can understand why that stereotype would exist. Most blacks live in urban areas, so many have probably never even seen a cow. When they do first see one, their instinct is not to tip it over."

Me: (at this point I'm trying to determine if she's being serious...after realizing she is, I laugh and laugh and laugh)

Her: What? ...oh.
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 08:41 AM   #203
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
Last night my wife and I went out to eat. As we finished eating our entrees, I spoke with her about this thread to see what her opinion would be.

Me: "There was a thread on the football board about tipping. Apparently there is a stereotype that blacks aren't very good tippers compared to others."

Her: "Well I can understand why that stereotype would exist. Most blacks live in urban areas, so many have probably never even seen a cow. When they do first see one, their instinct is not to tip it over."

Me: (at this point I'm trying to determine if she's being serious...after realizing she is, I laugh and laugh and laugh)

Hysterical!!!
Old 03-02-2005, 11:53 AM   #204
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG

Brilliant!
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 12:12 PM   #205
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG

Hahaha!

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 12:16 PM   #206
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG

Hee hee.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 01:21 PM   #207
miked
College Starter

I don't necessarily buy into the whole class-level argument. I never paid attention how I was tipped by race, but what I found was that the richer people looked and the nicer the car they drove, the worse my tip was. Doctors and lawyer types are among the worst tippers because they believe that since their job is so difficult and they are so smart (allegedly) that you should be greatful that they give you anything while doing such a low-level job that doesn't require any extra education. I don't work in restaurants anymore, but I found the best tippers to be people in various service and art industries.

15% is usually my bare minimum...even if the person's a walter. Why? Because I am a functioning member of society and realize that this is how things work. Anyone who doesn't tip because they think it's the restaurant's job to provide for the staff is just looking for an excuse to be an asshole.
miked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 01:35 PM   #208
condors
College Starter

working at a private golf club as a parking valet = worst job ever

min wage and i would be shocked if i ever got a tip

what is worse is we were also the coat check guys so they turn in their stub we get their coat run (we were not allowed to walk or wear a winter coat) and get their car and pull it around and open the door for them.
condors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 08:26 PM   #209
Bad-example
College Starter

What is the rule when ordering a meal to go? My dad and I bought a meal at Outback and we were unsure what constituted an acceptable tip when getting a take out order...
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 08:41 PM   #210
Easy Mac

nothing is acceptable, or do you tip the people at McDonald's drive-thru?
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 09:30 PM   #211
Bad-example
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac

Well, I figured that it takes a certain amount of time for the server to get our meals ready, and she walked it out to the car as well. I figured she deserved at least a small tip to compensate her for the time lost serving her sit down customers. I gave her ten percent on a fifty dollar meal.
Drinking like a lumberjack and singing Delta Dawn
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 10:53 PM   #212
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad-example
What is the rule when ordering a meal to go? My dad and I bought a meal at Outback and we were unsure what constituted an acceptable tip when getting a take out order...

Ten percent is perfectly acceptable...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 06:12 AM   #213
Blackadar
Retired

Drive through? 0%.

Take out? 0%

Last edited by Blackadar : 03-04-2005 at 06:12 AM.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 06:45 AM   #214
randal7
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren
if you're getting tits rubbed on your head you've already paid up...they didnt let that sort of thing go for, an ill pay up after its over kinda deal back when i worked at one, can only imagine how much more strict it is now..well unless maybe you're at a totally nasty place where they're gonna beat the crap out of you at the end of the nite and take your money anywayss

I can't believe none of you caught this...
randal7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 09:03 AM   #215
bionicgrov03
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry
Right, and I already paid for the event. Talk to your employer about your wage.

Do you really think that will work? I worked at a fairly expensive steakhouse for almost five years while I was in college (graduated in 2002). I think what everyone has failed to mention is that most restaraunts pay their employees $2.13 an hour. And since servers have to report their total sales to the IRS, that $2.13 is taken up solely on paying taxes. I know some of you may think that as long as servers don't declare any of their tips, they won't have to pay any taxes, but the IRS has already figured that out for you:

1. Most people pay with credit/debit cards these days. Those can be directly reported.
2. If you get lucky and have a night where all of your customers pay with cash, the IRS will still "assume" that you made 8% of your total sales in tips. They will tax you on that 8%.

While everyone's arguments have some merit, let's not forget the fact that 85 times out of 100, servers do not receive any other type of income than tips from you, our paying customer.
bionicgrov03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 09:05 AM   #216
Klinglerware
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by randal7

I did take brief note, but at this point I'm too jaded...
Klinglerware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 09:55 AM   #217
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:

Oh I caught it, I just decided not to make a big deal out of it...

Old 03-04-2005, 10:21 AM   #218
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:

Unless you're gonna post pix, I don't care.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 11:39 AM   #219
TheOhioStateUniversity
High School Varsity

Well Ill add my 2 cents to this discussion. I am a 19 year old black college student and I make it a point to tip 15% on any sit down meal I eat. My girlfriend will often look at me like Im crazy and what Ive found is that most highschool and college age kids tend to want to preserve as much of their limited resources as possible, even if this means the difference between a dollar or two. I was just brought up to tip 15% no matter what because thats the classy thing to do so thats what I do. As far as my adult family they all seem to follow this rule exactly or exceed it. Ive heard the rumours about black tipping and I think if an actual study was done the numbers would be similar between whites and blacks overall, (sort of like the whole mythical phallic superiority) which has been proven to be false by studies and is still commonly believed.
Old 03-04-2005, 11:40 AM   #220
JasonC23
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOhioStateUniversity
Well Ill add my 2 cents to this discussion. I am a 19 year old black college student and I make it a point to tip 15% on any sit down meal I eat. My girlfriend will often look at me like Im crazy and what Ive found is that most highschool and college age kids tend to want to preserve as much of their limited resources as possible, even if this means the difference between a dollar or two. I was just brought up to tip 15% no matter what because thats the classy thing to do so thats what I do. As far as my adult family they all seem to follow this rule exactly or exceed it. Ive heard the rumours about black tipping and I think if an actual study was done the numbers would be similar between whites and blacks overall, (sort of like the whole mythical phallic superiority) which has been proven to be false by studies and is still commonly believed.

Pics pls k tks
Old 03-04-2005, 01:38 PM   #221
HomerJSimpson
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadar
Drive through? 0%.

Take out? 0%

Yeah, but he is talking about "curb service" take out, which I would say deserves some tip, as long as the food is on time, the order is right, and they provided some extras (napkins, straws, untensils, sexual favors, etc.).
HomerJSimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 01:44 PM   #222
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerJSimpson
Yeah, but he is talking about "curb service" take out, which I would say deserves some tip, as long as the food is on time, the order is right, and they provided some extras (napkins, straws, untensils, sexual favors, etc.).

Why? I didn't make them institute this? You mean I have to tip if they have to walk 15 feet? I thought the whole reason was my comfort and to attract business?

If it's raining or something maybe.
Old 03-04-2005, 01:54 PM   #223
TheOhioStateUniversity
High School Varsity

I didnt know you were supposed to tip when you take out from a sit down restaurant, thats new to me.
Old 03-04-2005, 01:59 PM   #224
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac

Do you tip the person who fills your drink at Wendy's or do you just not tip your bartender?

Old 03-04-2005, 02:08 PM   #225
hhiipp
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonC23
Pics pls k tks

I'm dumbfounded that you just asked for pics of his and other males junk. In the words of Hank Hill, "That boy ain't right."
hhiipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 02:14 PM   #226
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhiipp
I'm dumbfounded that you just asked for pics of his and other males junk. In the words of Hank Hill, "That boy ain't right."

We'll chalk it up to "I think he got confused."
Old 03-04-2005, 02:24 PM   #227
HomerJSimpson
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf
Why? I didn't make them institute this? You mean I have to tip if they have to walk 15 feet? I thought the whole reason was my comfort and to attract business?

If it's raining or something maybe.

Listen, you don't "have" to do anything (see my earlier points), I was just saying etiquette wise that, yes, that is a tipping situation. Like at a grocery, you don't tip the bag boy, but you might (depending upon store rules) if they take the bags to your car.

On top of that, if you don't want to tip the server, then walk in and get your own bags.
Old 03-04-2005, 02:25 PM   #228
KevinNU7
College Starter

My tipping range is and has always been.

Horrible/Bad Service - 10%
Below Average - 15%
Average - 20%
Great - 20%+ (usually means I'm rounded the total bill to a whole number, let's say the bill is $79.85 I might make the total payment $100 if they were really good)

I've probably given 10% maybe 5 times in my entire life.

Oh also, if you are a "poor college student" you should not out to eat in places beyong your means. Go to Dennys instead of that place that charges $25 per entree. Then you can leave a realistic tip for the location.
Old 03-04-2005, 02:26 PM   #229
HomerJSimpson
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOhioStateUniversity
I didnt know you were supposed to tip when you take out from a sit down restaurant, thats new to me.

Actually, the question was about "curb service" where they bring it to your car, BUT I believe the Emily Post level of etiquette does say you tip on a take out. Not as much as when you eat there. I'll look it up and let you know.
Old 03-04-2005, 02:34 PM   #230
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Listen, you don't "have" to do anything (see my earlier points), I was just saying etiquette wise that, yes, that is a tipping situation. Like at a grocery, you don't tip the bag boy, but you might (depending upon store rules) if they take the bags to your car.

On top of that, if you don't want to tip the server, then walk in and get your own bags.

See I don't think it's a tipping situation. I don't tip them inside so what I should give them a quarter because they walked 20 feet? I'd go in but they are offering this to me the consumer to get my business.
Old 03-04-2005, 02:39 PM   #231
HomerJSimpson
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
See I don't think it's a tipping situation. I don't tip them inside so what I should give them a quarter because they walked 20 feet? I'd go in but they are offering this to me the consumer to get my business.

I'll give you the fisical reason: The waitstaff that brings it to your car is generally the same one that packaged the food, and they make tip-share (ie. nothing) unless you tip.

And the etiquette reason: Because they offer you an extra service, and that generally calls for a tip.

I found several sources saying the general tip for this kind of service is $1-2 dollars, or 10% of total if they provide something extra special.

(Of course it is totally up to you whether you tip or not. If you don't want to, don't. I'm just giving the tip-etiquette for this stuff. I don't know why we tip at all, but we do, so it is good to know the proper etiquette).
Old 03-04-2005, 02:53 PM   #232
JasonC23
High School Varsity

Quote:
We'll chalk it up to "I think he got confused."

Or, "I think he was joking."
Old 03-04-2005, 03:22 PM   #233
hhiipp
College Prospect

Quote:
I'll give you the fisical reason: The waitstaff that brings it to your car is generally the same one that packaged the food, and they make tip-share (ie. nothing) unless you tip.

And the etiquette reason: Because they offer you an extra service, and that generally calls for a tip.

I found several sources saying the general tip for this kind of service is $1-2 dollars, or 10% of total if they provide something extra special.

(Of course it is totally up to you whether you tip or not. If you don't want to, don't. I'm just giving the tip-etiquette for this stuff. I don't know why we tip at all, but we do, so it is good to know the proper etiquette).

The only restaurant around here that delivers food to your vehicle is Applebees, and the people that actually bring it to your vehicle are the same ones that seat you and open the doors as you come in and leave, they aren't waiters they earn at least minimum wage.
hhiipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 03:35 PM   #234
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger
I'd also like to say that while I'm a good tipper, I don't like the fact that we do tip. I feel it's really less about rewarding good service and become a way for us to subsidize restaurant's payroll expenses. If I really think about it, I get a little annoyed that a server is paid almost nothing by the restaurant - all that responsibility is on the customer. Wish it wasn't that way, and I wonder, with all these big "neighborhood" chains if someday, someone isn't going to come up with a no-tipping gimmick...

great theory. however, i am not so sure how effective that might be. tipping is kind of a reason to bank on good service. with no tips, waiters/waitresses have less of a reason to give a damn if you need a refill, come to your table periodically and reasonably, etc.
korme is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 03:42 PM   #235
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger
I'd also like to say that while I'm a good tipper, I don't like the fact that we do tip. I feel it's really less about rewarding good service and become a way for us to subsidize restaurant's payroll expenses. If I really think about it, I get a little annoyed that a server is paid almost nothing by the restaurant - all that responsibility is on the customer. Wish it wasn't that way, and I wonder, with all these big "neighborhood" chains if someday, someone isn't going to come up with a no-tipping gimmick...

I think part of it too is people(customers) feel good about themselves in general when they tip when they feel it's warrented. In some weird way they may feel like some kind of hero to the waitstaff and thus increase the image of the customer being king.

That's one reason I could come up with as to why the neighboorhood joint wouldn't do a no tip. Particularly for "regulars". Kind of like here's something for you, take care of me because I'll be in here a lot.

I dunno, just a different way of looking at it.
Old 03-04-2005, 04:47 PM   #236
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty3281
great theory. however, i am not so sure how effective that might be. tipping is kind of a reason to bank on good service. with no tips, waiters/waitresses have less of a reason to give a damn if you need a refill, come to your table periodically and reasonably, etc.

Could you imagine the service from the wage slaves at Best Buy or Mickey D's? You know, the ones who get your drive thru order right 1 out of every 3 times or the guy you want to punch in the face for talking down to you about computers despite the fact that you know more than he does?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote