Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-15-2004, 06:56 PM   #201
Router Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
Can you clarify please? I thought we were supposed to put Germany in quotes as well as a few other countries (Japan and France maybe?) but I haven't heard about deleting any files.
Removing fake.Inc, france.Inc, and nleague.Inc will restore the correct names for French teams, Oliver Kahn, and Japanese teams. Doing the quotes thing works too, but it's easier to just remove the file. You can open each file in notepad to see what they do.
Router Help is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 07:45 PM   #202
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpieman
Can anyone tell me whats the difference betweeen standard shipping and the international priority shipping? Like how much faster the international shipping will be to the states?

assuming you are talking about gameplay, well you can compare between me and SirFozzie. SirFozzie took priority and his game shipped on the 3rd and he received it on the 9th, so Wednesday to the following Tuesday. I took regular, my game also shipped on the 3rd and arrived today, the 15th. Given, I live in Canada, but I'd assume the longest part of the thravel isn't really the one on North American soil SirFozzie also had preorderd quite earlier than I did, since I ordered the game only on the evening of November 2nd, eastern time...

Just got back from karate, gonna install that baby right now

FM
Old 11-15-2004, 07:51 PM   #203
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan
assuming you are talking about gameplay, well you can compare between me and SirFozzie. SirFozzie took priority and his game shipped on the 3rd and he received it on the 9th, so Wednesday to the following Tuesday. I took regular, my game also shipped on the 3rd and arrived today, the 15th. Given, I live in Canada, but I'd assume the longest part of the thravel isn't really the one on North American soil SirFozzie also had preorderd quite earlier than I did, since I ordered the game only on the evening of November 2nd, eastern time...

Just got back from karate, gonna install that baby right now

FM

Damn you're not making me optimistic. I'm heading downstairs to check the mail now. Seattle, shipped on the 3rd, not arrived yet. Normal shipping. Next time I'm definitely going priority.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 07:57 PM   #204
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum
I tried to do this, but it didn't work in the game I loaded up.

I think I put it after "SUGER_DADDY", though, so does that matter?

I heard about the problems with Kahn, but I never heard about these possible solutions. Any more detail on if all files in INC should be removed, or these other words to toss in (:Germany" in quotes?) would be much appreciated.

As for the init.cfg file, I think the reason it may not have worked for me is because I have XP. It automatically appends the notepad three-letter designation at the end of files opened with Notepad, even if you tell it not to. So I don't think the game recognizes the file after I make changes to it.

I remember someone once had a downloadable init fiel for us XP users. It would be nice to see that again.

In any case, help with making sure I have the init file right would be much appreciated as well (I hate how I have to load up a whole new game to see if it works--that takes forever, even with smaller leagues/databases).

CR
I also have XP. I've been kicking myself trying to figure out why my "DEBUG_MODE" wasn't working correctly. Interestingly, I had XP when I started playing CM 03/04 and at that time the command worked fine. In any case, if anyone has a downloadable file for the init.cfg I would appreciate a copy too please.

Edited to add: Maybe I downloaded the init.cfg file for CM 03/04... I just don't remember doing that.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 11-15-2004 at 07:58 PM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 07:58 PM   #205
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

you can probably rename the file just fine from the DOS command prompt
Old 11-15-2004, 08:23 PM   #206
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

This is very odd. I downloaded a file from the dugout that is supposed to fix the German and Dutch teams as well as Oliver Kahn. I was going to put it into the data/db/inc folder (as per the instructions attached to the file.) The odd thing is that my game doesn't have an inc folder in the db directory. All it has is an hof folder. CR, are you also missing the inc folder? Is it possible that the absence of this folder is causing our problems with the "DEBUG_MODE" command?
Old 11-15-2004, 08:25 PM   #207
jbmagic
Pro Starter

what does DEBUG_MODE" command do?
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 09:24 PM   #208
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

with XP, or any brand of windows for that matter, after you're done editing the init.cfg file, you can just click in the dropdown box below it to switch the file type to "all files" and then add .cfg to the end of the file, which will keep it a .cfg file
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 09:32 PM   #209
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

What form of encoding should the init.cfg file be saved as? ANSI?
Old 11-15-2004, 10:30 PM   #210
scooter
High School Varsity

Quote:
This is very odd. I downloaded a file from the dugout that is supposed to fix the German and Dutch teams as well as Oliver Kahn. I was going to put it into the data/db/inc folder (as per the instructions attached to the file.)

I also downloaded the file from the Dugout and it worked fine for me. If you installed FM into the default directory the file "fake.lnc" should go in:

C:\ProgramFiles\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2005\data\db\lnc\all

I don't know anything about the Debug thing. I've never played the game with the arse command so I guess I don't know what I'm missing.

And a note to Desnudo: I've ordered plenty of things from Gameplay via their normal international shipping. I would check the mailbox between 10-14 days (that's "shipping" days) after it was shipped - so probably in the next couple days.
scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 10:38 PM   #211
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

That is the wierd thing. I downloaded the game into the default directory, but I don't have an Inc directory or an All directory. The only directory I have under data\db\ is a hof directory. Why didn't my game install that directory when I installed it? Is missing that directory messing anything up?
Old 11-16-2004, 12:25 AM   #212
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
What form of encoding should the init.cfg file be saved as? ANSI?

yes (or at least so I believe)
Old 11-16-2004, 02:47 AM   #213
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Grrr...the stupid init.cfg file still isn't working for me, and I have done everything in this thread. Another 4-5 hours wasted waiting for my stupid new game to load up.

I think XP is a great OS 99% of the time, but that 1% of the time like this just really chaps my hide.

Please, if anyone has an init.cfg file set up that works for FM2005 and a little bit of web space, please upload it to that web space for a while so we can download it without having to do editing ourselves. Thanks.

CR

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 08:00 AM   #214
cougarfreak
College Starter

Why would this be XP's problem, and not FM's problem? I'd say XP is one the the more popular OS's out there.
cougarfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 08:11 AM   #215
Router Help

If you open up your init.cfg file in notepad and save it as "init.cfg" with the quotes, it will save the file properly without the .txt extension. You won't have to worry about choosing to save as all files or about the encoding.
Old 11-16-2004, 08:54 AM   #216
scooter
High School Varsity

Quote:
That is the wierd thing. I downloaded the game into the default directory, but I don't have an Inc directory or an All directory. The only directory I have under data\db\ is a hof directory. Why didn't my game install that directory when I installed it? Is missing that directory messing anything up?

Strange, because I don't have an hof directory in there. Are you sure you're playing FOOTBALL Manager?
Old 11-16-2004, 09:35 AM   #217
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter
Strange, because I don't have an hof directory in there. Are you sure you're playing FOOTBALL Manager?

Positive. Also, I can view the HOF in the game. It has Alex Ferguson and a bunch of other guys
Old 11-17-2004, 02:30 PM   #218
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

A list of the fixes that will be in the first patch has been posted over at SI Games this morning...

http://community.sigames.com/eve/ubb...91&m=486205426

too much for me to repost here...

FM
Old 11-17-2004, 02:30 PM   #219
Router Help

No release date yet, but there is some info up on the SI site about the first patch. I'd post the changes and fixes here, but the list is very, very long. You can read for yourself here: http://community.sigames.com/eve/ubb...91&m=486205426
Old 11-17-2004, 02:43 PM   #220
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

beat ya to it

FM
Old 11-17-2004, 02:50 PM   #221
Router Help

Beaten by a Canadian

Old 11-17-2004, 03:00 PM   #222
Router Help

The only MLS fix I see so far in the list is this:

- Tuned attendances in MLS ALL Stars Match

Nothing about the transfer issues or young players like Adu not being able to play.

Last edited by Router Help : 11-17-2004 at 03:01 PM.
Old 11-17-2004, 03:05 PM   #223
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Router Help

Beaten by a Canadian

Old 11-17-2004, 04:00 PM   #224
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarfreak
Why would this be XP's problem, and not FM's problem? I'd say XP is one the the more popular OS's out there.

It's XP's fault because it unnecessarily forces a file it doesn't recognize to conform to one of its programs. Previous MS OS's didn'tr do that. It's a big hassle for nothing.

Quote:
If you open up your init.cfg file in notepad and save it as "init.cfg" with the quotes, it will save the file properly without the .txt extension. You won't have to worry about choosing to save as all files or about the encoding.

Thanks Router Help, that sounds like just the solution I needed.

Quote:
The only MLS fix I see so far in the list is this:

- Tuned attendances in MLS ALL Stars Match

Nothing about the transfer issues or young players like Adu not being able to play.

Well, to hgelp those of you who don't have access or don't want to go through a bunch of searches or long threads to find it, here's the skinny from what I understand about FM and the MLS.

First of all, someone apparently dropped the ball on the rules for the MLS. SIGames didn't even get them until late August. It's unclear if this was the fault of SI or its USA researcher (the way I read it, sounds like they would pin it on the researcher). The disappointing thing, of course, is that pressure wasn't applied sooner to get those rules, or that no one bothered to just go to the MLS Web site, where I understand all of our "weird" rules are listed.

Now, most of the following for what I say is bad news, I am afraid.

Now that they have the rules, they are even just now just discussing exactly what to do about the MLS, how far they go with fixes, what's beyond the scope of a patch, etc. And it seems very likely next year's expansion can't be in it--they aren't licensed for that.

Basically, the patch looks like it could be out fairly soon, considering they have been working on it since early Octboer and already have a number of issues fixed. But the MLS looks like a major overhaul, and they haven't even decided exactly hopw they want to go forward with it. Not good.

Short of some amazing turnaround in quick decision-making and coding, it seems unlikely the issues we want addressed in the MLS will be in the first patch. And that does make one wonder if they'll bother.

The good news is that this game is supposed to be sold in the U.S. and does have the MLS logo prominently featured within when you load it up. I do think the MLS is more important to them than it has been in the past, so I do think SIGames will be seriously considering what they can do for the league. They have already been told by MLS fans over there that no one who is familiar with the MLS will buy FM2006 if they play this MLS in FM2005 (and I think they know that quite well).

In one thread, one of the SI-affiliated workers posted that MLS fans shouldn't give up on FM2005 yet, intimating what I have stated above about them looking to address it.

So do I hold out much hope? No, quite frankly, sly wink promises aside. But there's a little hope. I just wouldn't expect it out of this patch.

CR

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 04:09 PM   #225
Router Help

Disappointing. SI needs to dump their USA researcher. He was complaing a few years ago on the boards about how much work he had to do and that no one would help him. I emailed him and said I would help in any way I could, but he said he could handle it himself.
Old 11-17-2004, 04:17 PM   #226
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

SI's excuse is unacceptable to me.

They didn't release a quickstart - all these problems would have been largely avoided had they done so.

Why did they feel the need to release a Greek quickstart, which has pretty much EXACTLY the same rules as all the European leagues, while ignoring MLS?

Just a stupid, stupid decision.

Last edited by RPI-Fan : 11-17-2004 at 04:17 PM.
RPI-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 06:46 PM   #227
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

That is very disappointing news about the MLS.
Old 11-17-2004, 08:18 PM   #228
superbama
H.S. Freshman Team

Horrible one of the greatest games on the planet could give Americans one more reason to shun "soccer". You've got to believe that this will be fixed for the North American release....there is no way they will want to embarrase themselves with the current build.
superbama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 08:26 PM   #229
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbama
Horrible one of the greatest games on the planet could give Americans one more reason to shun "soccer". You've got to believe that this will be fixed for the North American release....there is no way they will want to embarrase themselves with the current build.

whats wrong with it?

i waiting for the USA release
Old 11-17-2004, 08:33 PM   #230
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic
whats wrong with it?

i waiting for the USA release

They screwed up the MLS.It kind of sounds and looks like they thought the yanks don't know soccer so they won't notice.

Last edited by Galaril : 11-17-2004 at 10:52 PM.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 08:39 PM   #231
jbmagic
Pro Starter

how did they screw up the MLS? what did the game do wrong?
Old 11-17-2004, 08:41 PM   #232
Router Help

Quote:
how did they screw up the MLS? what did the game do wrong?

http://community.sigames.com/eve/ubb...91&m=742204675
Old 11-17-2004, 08:43 PM   #233
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:

wow thanks

i hope they patch this up soon
Old 11-17-2004, 08:47 PM   #234
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
wow thanks

i hope they patch this up soon

Keep in mind that managing in the lower English and other European leagues is still (from what I hear) as addicting and quality as ever.
Old 11-17-2004, 08:52 PM   #235
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Love this game. And I doubt that I'm far from the only person over here stateside who RARELY even bothers to play in MLS. If I am going to load up a game of FM2005 and try to do anything on this side of the pond it's usually national-team focused. So yes, I wish the problems with MLS would be fixed, just for posterity's sake, but it's not at all a dealbreaker for me, and I would suspect not for a lot of others too?
Old 11-17-2004, 08:53 PM   #236
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPI-Fan
Keep in mind that managing in the lower English and other European leagues is still (from what I hear) as addicting and quality as ever.

I definitely think it is. However, I also was really looking forward to having a quality MLS dynasty with FM 2005. As of right now, that isn't possible for me.
Old 11-17-2004, 09:01 PM   #237
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo
Love this game. And I doubt that I'm far from the only person over here stateside who RARELY even bothers to play in MLS. If I am going to load up a game of FM2005 and try to do anything on this side of the pond it's usually national-team focused. So yes, I wish the problems with MLS would be fixed, just for posterity's sake, but it's not at all a dealbreaker for me, and I would suspect not for a lot of others too?

I probably like MLS (a lot) more than the average FM buyer, but I agree, it's still not a dealbreaker for me. However, if they were going to mess it up THAT bad, I wish they would have not even put it in, and instead coded other better features for other leagues and/or int'l management.
Old 11-17-2004, 09:16 PM   #238
McSweeny
College Starter

Quote:

yep, i feel pretty much the same way
McSweeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 09:28 PM   #239
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

The MLS being messed up is not a deal breaker for me. I still am enjoying managing in England. However, I hope they fix the MLS not only because my own desire to play a good dynasty with an MLS team, but because I think the problems will hurt the series reputation with any new fans who are first trying the series here in America.
Old 11-17-2004, 09:34 PM   #240
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
The MLS being messed up is not a deal breaker for me. I still am enjoying managing in England. However, I hope they fix the MLS not only because my own desire to play a good dynasty with an MLS team, but because I think the problems will hurt the series reputation with any new fans who are first trying the series here in America.

Just curious - how is England management comparing to 01/02, CM4, and/or 03/04?

Edit: Anyone please feel free to answer this - particularly re: CM4

Last edited by RPI-Fan : 11-17-2004 at 09:37 PM.
RPI-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 09:36 PM   #241
scooter
High School Varsity

Quote:

I'll also echo these thoughts. I tried the MLS back in CM01-02 after playing with other European teams - it just seemed weird to play the same teams over and over again. I prefer the idea of having bigger divisions and only playing a team a couple times in a season.

All that being said, I do hope that they can get the MLS working properly. I know SI have had big hopes on breaking into the US market and I know they wouldn't just throw the MLS together and leave it that way. I had an email from Miles Jacobson, their managing director, from about three years ago where he was talking about the troubles they had with getting CM distributed in the US with their old publisher and that they really wanted to do it. I just hope that this doesn't give the "uneducated" the wrong idea about what SI Games is all about, because they have always put together quality products.
Old 11-17-2004, 09:39 PM   #242
Desnudo
Coordinator

Lack of promotion and relegation plus the weak playoff system, transfer setup, and no continental cups makes the MLS unappealing to me to play. It would be nice to see them get it right though. If they can manage Brazil, you'd think they'd be able to handle MLS.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 10:17 PM   #243
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I'm just ... speechless.

And that don't exactly happen often

Egads, what a clusterfuck the MLS looks like in this thing.
Old 11-17-2004, 10:19 PM   #244
superbama
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPI-Fan
Just curious - how is England management comparing to 01/02, CM4, and/or 03/04?

Edit: Anyone please feel free to answer this - particularly re: CM4

If your speaking of managing the national side....mmmm....one word....Amazing. They've finally started tracking national team stats on the selection screen (not their club stats). And the end game having their condition,current form AND their posistion all on one screen makes this game Ohhhh so much more playable.

I to could really care less about playing the MLS , i'd do it if I got bored or something but Sega is pushing a NA release....you'd just think they'd have the MLS dead on. In the december issue of FFT Miles was quoted "We're getting our first American release for this one" I could just see him rubbing his hands together. BTW no mention in the article of our fav SI employee
superbama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 10:22 PM   #245
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

I hate to be negative, but I just can't imagine FM 2005 selling well in the US, no matter what Sega does with marketing.

First, it's the wrong sport for the US market. Most potential customers will not even look at the game when they see that it's about soccer. Football, maybe, but soccer, no.

Second, text-sims in general don't match well with the American culture. In general, we're an active, fast-paced, superficial culture, and text-sims are slow-paced, imaginative, and thoughtful games.

Third, fantasy sports leagues, mostly football, are where I think your potential customers' focus lies in the US. If you could somehow catch that group's attention, you've got a chance, but your potential customers are used to a fantasy-style, interactive experiences, not solitary ones about a sport they could care less about. Tough sell.

The game's got a chance if "success" is defined as achieving sales similar to those of niche titles like OOTP and FOF, but I think the game gets killed if expectations are to sell along the lines of major releases.

Be nice if I was wrong, as I actually think there are a lot of people out there that would really enjoy text-sims if they gave them a decent chance, and FM would be a great place to start. Personally, I've got a handful of friends that I think would love text-sims if I could get them to sit down and try one for a couple of hours, but I've never been able to get them to the starting gate.

Last edited by Godzilla Blitz : 11-17-2004 at 10:28 PM.
Godzilla Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 10:24 PM   #246
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

that's sad. I couldnt care less about the MLS on a personal level, but any hopes SI had of a great US release are out the window- what a shame. Im fairly surprised Marc and co punted on this- it seems out of character.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 10:59 PM   #247
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbama
If your speaking of managing the national side....mmmm....one word....Amazing. They've finally started tracking national team stats on the selection screen (not their club stats). And the end game having their condition,current form AND their posistion all on one screen makes this game Ohhhh so much more playable.

I to could really care less about playing the MLS , i'd do it if I got bored or something but Sega is pushing a NA release....you'd just think they'd have the MLS dead on. In the december issue of FFT Miles was quoted "We're getting our first American release for this one" I could just see him rubbing his hands together. BTW no mention in the article of our fav SI employee

Nono, I mean managing lower or upper level clubs in England.

In my brief stint managing the US Nats thus far, I've found int'l management to be quite dry.
Old 11-17-2004, 11:12 PM   #248
jbmagic
Pro Starter

is there a difference between different leagues?

if so what kind of things beside just different teams?

i hope sega does a better job in selling this game to the US to alot of different stores like Bestbuy, Fry's, compusa, circuit city, EB, etc

EHM i never saw in any store here in California as of today so far...
Old 11-17-2004, 11:15 PM   #249
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I'm really enjoying managing Scunthorpe right now. However, I find it hard to prevent my defense from playing like a sieve. Fortunately, Musselwhite is making some big saves (despite relative modest attribute ratings) and we are doing much better than the prediction that we would be relegated. However, the season is still young. I can't really comment on comparisions to the other games as I only played CM 03/04 and I only really played Hull before being offered a job at Man U where I stayed. However, I'm enjoying this game quite a lot. I'm pacing myself playing it though because I know I will probably want to restart once the first big patch comes out. Yet, if I get too far into my career that won't work as I will become too attached to the team. I just hope I can get the debug command to work when I restart after the patch.
Old 11-17-2004, 11:17 PM   #250
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
is there a difference between different leagues?

if so what kind of things beside just different teams?

i hope sega does a better job in selling this game to the US to alot of different stores like Bestbuy, Fry's, compusa, circuit city, EB, etc

EHM i never saw in any store here in California as of today so far...

There are many that can answer this better than I can. However, I can say from my limited experience that there are major differences between leagues in different countries. Some countries limit the number of foreign players you can use. Some have some very odd rules. The strategy really changed when I tried to manage in a few different countries.