Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-23-2004, 12:09 PM   #201
Franklinnoble
Banned

When I shut off clipping, it gave me a pop-up message that certain Crib features might be disabled, or something.

Like I said above, I can do without the Crib, so I didn't care. I still was able to use my "crib" points that I had earned after the game.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 12:15 PM   #202
Bee
Pro Starter

I wouldn't be interested in the Crib thing, but I just wasn't sure how one would affect the other. Seemed strange to me and I just wanted confirmation. Thanks.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 12:18 PM   #203
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenEagle
Hopefully I can save up and get an Xbox then. I jut have to figure out how to justify spending the $300 on the system, games, and live to my girlfriend which will not be easy.

Can I say I love my wife. Last night I was bemoaning the fact that this one was not made for GameCube. Her response, "You know, I have been thinking we might have bought the wrong system. We should just buy an XBox."

You know, honey, I think you are right, we should.
Old 07-23-2004, 12:20 PM   #204
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari
Can I say I love my wife. Last night I was bemoaning the fact that this one was not made for GameCube. Her response, "You know, I have been thinking we might have bought the wrong system. We should just buy an XBox."

You know, honey, I think you are right, we should.

Lucky bastard.
Old 07-23-2004, 12:21 PM   #205
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Question: if the offense runs a play on second down and at the end of it the defence is flagged for a five yard facemasking, is it still second down?
Old 07-23-2004, 12:26 PM   #206
scooper
College Benchwarmer

It should be, yes.
scooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 12:27 PM   #207
gstelmack
Pro Starter

No, it shouldn't. It gets added on to the result of the play.
Old 07-23-2004, 12:29 PM   #208
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack
No, it shouldn't. It gets added on to the result of the play.
That's what I thought. But in ESPN, it seems to result in the down being played over.
Old 07-23-2004, 12:39 PM   #209
Bee
Pro Starter

Wouldn't it depend on if the 5 extra yards would be enough for a 1st down?
Old 07-23-2004, 12:42 PM   #210
Kodos
Resident Alien

I played game 2 of my Falcons dynasty. I'm not taking the dynasty seriously, as I traded Brooking to get Zach Thomas, one of the DE's to get Ogunleye, and I traded Ladanian Tomlinson for Atlanta's big back (whose name I am forgetting at the moment), grabbed Jerry Rice and Randle El at WR. (Note: I changed the rosters before starting the franchise, so this doesn't have anything to do with poor trade AI.)

Anyhow, in 2 games, my rookie CB (Deangelo Hall maybe?) whose name also escapes me has 4 or 5 interceptions, with three of them returned for TDs. He is my leading scorer. The sad thing was, 3 of them came in the first half of my game last night. So the interceptions are a bit ridiculous, but I guess that's nothing sliders can't fix.

It seems like there are frequent screwups in the highlights. I think Berman said the wrong team got a touchdown in one of the segments, and it just seems like there are blatant errors frequently. Also, like I said yesterday, the highlights seem disjointed. It just seems to pick big plays without mentioning what ultimately happened after them. You'll go from a highlight of Vick hitting Rice (traded for Price) to one of Tom Brady throwing the other way with no mention of what happened in the Atlanta drive.

Also, I must have had that "Well they got a few yards, but I'm sure they were hoping for a little more" comment 5 or 6 times in one game. I agree that having the Sunday Night Crew would be much appreciated over the generic fake announcers.

Anyhow, I'm getting a little more used to the controls. I still hate the tap/charge up button. And I hate the drifting kick arrow. But the game is still impressive in terms of immersion.

I get the feeling that Madden will end up getting the majority of my play time this year. I was reading some hands-on impressions at Madden Planet, and it sounds like the gameplay will be really polished for Madden. The main guy, AndyP, said Madden 2005 represents the biggest leap in the series since it went from PS1 to PS2.

Last edited by Kodos : 07-23-2004 at 12:45 PM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 12:50 PM   #211
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Hey, is anyone else seeing a lot of plays where the receiver is hit as he catches the ball, drops it, and it's ruled a fumble? So far in three games I've seen it happen four times, including at least once where the receiver only had a single hand on the ball for about a second. Three of the four were over-turned on challenge, but it still seems odd.
Old 07-23-2004, 12:52 PM   #212
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
I was reading some hands-on impressions at Madden Planet, and it sounds like the gameplay will be really polished for Madden. The main guy, AndyP, said Madden 2005 represents the biggest leap in the series since it went from PS1 to PS2.

Watch it Kodos, you might pull something pimping Madden that hard.

Last edited by Bee : 07-23-2004 at 12:53 PM.
Old 07-23-2004, 12:53 PM   #213
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs
That's what I thought. But in ESPN, it seems to result in the down being played over.

I've gone to several web sites and I can't find any clear statement, but several sites such as NFL.com imply that the down is replayed but from the new spot after the 5 yard penalty unless a 1st down is the result of the play.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 07-23-2004 at 12:55 PM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 12:55 PM   #214
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
I've gone to several web sites and I can't find any clear statement, but several sites such as NFLrules.com imply that the down is replayed but from the new spot after the 5 yard penalty unless a 1st down is the result of the play.
OK. In that case I guess they got it right. I just didn't think you could have a play where the yardage of the original play counted, and you got the down back.
Old 07-23-2004, 12:57 PM   #215
Kodos
Resident Alien

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee
Watch it Kodos, you might pull something pimping Madden that hard.

Y'ouch. Just reporting what I read.

Honestly, I think some of my issues with this game come from being hardwired to expect Madden gameplay after all these years. Like I said, I think I will end up spending the most time on Madden this year. And the jury is still out, obviously, since I haven't played Madden 2005 yet. But I was encouraged by what I read over at Madden Planet.
Old 07-23-2004, 01:02 PM   #216
scooper
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I've gone to several web sites and I can't find any clear statement, but several sites such as NFL.com imply that the down is replayed but from the new spot after the 5 yard penalty unless a 1st down is the result of the play.

Where did you find it on NFL.com? I found the rules digest but could not find clarification on that.
Old 07-23-2004, 01:13 PM   #217
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooper
Where did you find it on NFL.com? I found the rules digest but could not find clarification on that.

In the rules digest, it seperates penalties which have the loss of down (combo) penalties and no loss of down. I also went to several other sites which talk about rules, and they all implied that interpertation, but I could not find an explicit clarification.
Old 07-23-2004, 01:16 PM   #218
scooper
College Benchwarmer

Thanks.
Old 07-23-2004, 01:45 PM   #219
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

As an update to weekly prep...

I have changed Friday and am getting good results across the board. Here is the Friday schedule:

7-on-7 Drills/3/all/no pads
Day off/all/half
film/2/ilb/Run Blocking Scemes
Pos Drills/1/fs/ball reaction
pos drills/1/ss/pattern recog
film/1/hb/Man/zone tendencies
film/1/olb/run/pass distribution

I just wish that you could audible with the offense in Coach mode. This would be a great game with that and without the computer trade bugs.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 01:48 PM   #220
Bee
Pro Starter

I saw someplace else that they think the computer trade issues are associated with the weekly coaching prep. (As in, if you turn off the weekly coaching thing the trade AI functions more normally). Maybe someone here can either verify or discount this?
Old 07-23-2004, 01:51 PM   #221
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee
I saw someplace else that they think the computer trade issues are associated with the weekly coaching prep. (As in, if you turn off the weekly coaching thing the trade AI functions more normally). Maybe someone here can either verify or discount this?

That would figure.
Old 07-23-2004, 02:00 PM   #222
Flasch186
Coordinator

Why in the heck would one have to do with the other? And why now damnit do i have to start my franchise over, again? And why on Xbox live do I seem to go head up against people with very little, or a menial grsp of the English language. Now before I get slapped and you say, "Well hey, they speak Japanese." NO, they spoke English but remember Brad Pitt from Snatch...like that but with a "twang". Horrible, lots of silences on the headset. Great concept, just wish they'd match you up with someone who could speak.

BTW my handle is Flasch186

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 02:05 PM   #223
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186
Why in the heck would one have to do with the other? And why now damnit do i have to start my franchise over, again?
You'll need to start over if the AI has already been making bad trades, but you can turn the weekly prep off in mid-season.
Old 07-23-2004, 02:06 PM   #224
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

I'm 0-5. In my last game against the Cardinals I tied the game up 14-14 with 15 seconds left. They only had time for a hail mary, so I called prevent defense. For whatever reason my guys decided to cover everybody EXCEPT for Boldin, and he caught the pass and ran for an addition 30 yards down to the 10 yard line. Cardinals call timeout, kick a field goal, I lose. WTF is wrong with this team? I've lost three games in the last thirty seconds due to idiotic defensive backs that apparently don't like to follow what the play diagram tells them to do.
Old 07-23-2004, 02:40 PM   #225
Kodos
Resident Alien

I had Jerry Rice catch a hail mary between 4 defenders last night. Of course, I was down by multiple scores and still lost so it didn't matter, but he shouldn't have caught it when he was literally surrounded by 4 guys.
Old 07-23-2004, 02:45 PM   #226
LionsFan10
High School Varsity

So it seems like after the initial shock of the presentation/graphics of this game wears off, the game quickly becomes "okay." That sucks, I was really hoping this game would be better then Madden's same ol', same ol' every year.

Ah well.
Old 07-23-2004, 03:06 PM   #227
Kodos
Resident Alien

It does have a real WOW effect from a presentation standpoint, but yeah, the game play itself hasn't knocked my socks off. Of course, as I've said before, it's probably a matter of personal taste. I'm used to Madden, so any other scheme probably would seem "off" to me.

But then, many of the issues that have been brought up have little to do with personal tastes.
Old 07-23-2004, 04:22 PM   #228
GrantDawg

Played my first game online. It was on Pro level. I won 14-7 with a pass to Price in the last 10 seconds. The guy I was playing made me look good. He started by just running the ball, and then he would just roll Quincy Carter out and tack off. He did that about three times in a row until I remembered the "bear" package where you can blitz the ss on one side and the olb from the other. Then he got to where he would run backward and throw off foot. I picked up three interceptions. It just goes to show how bad I am that I only scored twice.
Old 07-23-2004, 04:36 PM   #229
sabotai
General Manager

I just played two games.

The first was Giants vs. Denver. That game was ended as I exited the game because they were winning 24-0 and I thought it'd be a good idea to find those tutorials.

Afterwards, I started up a franchise. My first pre-season game was vs. the Texans. I won the game 17-13 despite Warner throwing 5 INTs (With I'd say 3 or 4 of them because of my n00bness with ESPN Football). Two big goalline stances by my defense was another reason. I played on All-Pro and the stats were (to someone who plays NCAA and Madden) surprisingly ultra-realistic. On a default difficulty setting (9 Min Quarters). Who would have thought it possible?

As for gameplay, WOW! I am really impressed. And it's the little things. It's the running back stumbling for a few yards occasionally after knocking someone down with a shoulder or stiff. It's the defense actually getting called for pass interference. After getting an average 0.02 penelty calls per game on NCAA, it was nice to see some flags thrown. Still low, as I think I only had 3 or 4 in the game, but it was nice to see them (and to see them against the AI opponent).

Another thing that really bugged me about Madden and NCAA was when the play would result in a TD, the player stopped almost immediately after hitting the goalline, stand there for a second or two and then go into whatever post-scoring animation was called in. In ESPN, it's all one fluid motion, with the runner still running after he passes the goalline for a couple of yards.

I'll post more thoughts later. Next up in Week 3 of pre-season, Green Bay.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 05:24 PM   #230
Kodos
Resident Alien

Heh. I had a cool endzone thing last night where the CPU runner barreled into the endzone and then went a couple more steps to smash into my CB who was still engaged in a block for good measure.

Last edited by Kodos : 07-23-2004 at 05:24 PM.
Old 07-23-2004, 05:27 PM   #231
Franklinnoble
Banned

Anyone else had any luck with late hits? I had one last night that I didn't get flagged for... I'm still waiting for a late hit - ambulance sequence.
Old 07-23-2004, 06:21 PM   #232
sabotai
General Manager

Well, so far my only really big complaint is that Challenges are defaulted to OFF. I didn't see that until Tiki got the 1st down one a 4th down try but was given a piss poor spot and it was a turnover on downs.

"What the fuck!? Why isn't the Challenge option lit!? Is it an option?....WTF? It's OFF!?"

That's it so far.
Old 07-23-2004, 06:58 PM   #233
Kodos
Resident Alien

Don't you mean "What the f*ck!?"

Old 07-23-2004, 07:08 PM   #234
sabotai
General Manager

Oh sorry, actually I meant "W**t **e fuck!?"
Old 07-23-2004, 07:10 PM   #235
Kodos
Resident Alien

Or "What the fuc*!?"
Old 07-23-2004, 08:24 PM   #236
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Lack of late hits is fine by me. In 2k4 I'd always try to switch to a DB to hit a reciever but I'd try and change to fast, and end up hitting the QB and getting flagged.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 10:29 PM   #237
cincyreds
High School Varsity

anyone see uniforms get dirty yet?
Old 07-23-2004, 10:36 PM   #238
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I have seen plenty of uniforms get dirty. The wierd thing is the QB's uniform seems to clean itself just as he steps under center, unless that is just my imagination.
Old 07-23-2004, 11:06 PM   #239
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionsFan10
So it seems like after the initial shock of the presentation/graphics of this game wears off, the game quickly becomes "okay." That sucks, I was really hoping this game would be better then Madden's same ol', same ol' every year.

Ah well.

You might be right. I haven't had much time with the game, but some of the little glitches get on my nerves. I HATE having to turn clipping off due to the fact a RB can get sprung for a long game while your CB gets smacked in the back.

I'm wondering if the early release date hampered this game somewhat? Seems like they thought.. well, we don't care if it's ready or not, we need to beat Madden out the door this year.

I took back some old games and reserved Madden, I was going to rent it, but I usually get all football games anyway. Lets just say I'll have plenty of football games to keep my busy this season. I also like the fact of taking NCAA players and drafting them into Madden.

One more thing.. having to set quarter lenghts for sim stats really pisses me off. Why can't they get that right?

Todd
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2004, 02:18 AM   #240
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I guess I missed it. Todd, what length quarters are you using for simulations and what length for played out games?

I haven't gotten to play this game much, and I'm still in the awe stage at the presentation aspects.
Old 07-24-2004, 07:15 AM   #241
gstelmack
Pro Starter

What's the deal with wanting to turn clipping off? Did I miss a post? I've played 4 games so far and haven't seen a single clip called yet. I'm playing All Pro with no sliders or penalties adjusted.
Old 07-24-2004, 08:21 AM   #242
henry296
College Starter

When clipping is called your RB gets negative yards.
Old 07-24-2004, 09:16 AM   #243
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I guess I missed it. Todd, what length quarters are you using for simulations and what length for played out games?

I haven't gotten to play this game much, and I'm still in the awe stage at the presentation aspects.

I think 9 mins for played out games, but I need some more playing time as 10 was looking ok as well. Sim games I don't know about yet, I haven't started a franchise yet, but I'll find out and post it here.

I'm at the Ozarks this weekend, so no Xbox. I'm hoping to get a franchise going on Sunday... and I'll find out what people are using for sim games.

Todd
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2004, 04:05 PM   #244
sabotai
General Manager

Now I have a really big problem with this game. One that may have me running to Madden.

Picture it. NYG vs. WAS, the Redskins are winning 17-13 at the 2 minute warning. Eli Manning, in his second season, takes the snap at the Washington 15, drops back and hits Toomer for the TOUCHDOWN! New York now leads 20-17.

Washington gets the ball, drivs the field and with 1:05 left misses a long FG attempt. NY gets the ball, runs three plays forcing Washington to use all 3 time outs. But they get no where and have to punt the ball. Washing manages a first down or two but with no time outs are left with just 11 seconds left as Ramsey spikes the ball at the NYG 35 yard line.

Ramsey takes the snap, throws a bomb, it's COMPLETE! To the New York 32 yard line but with only 5 seconds left, not enough time to run up and spike the ball and the game is over....

But it's not. Up comes with play call screen with the AI's FG attampt already selected (no time runs down), I pick FG block thinking "wtf....", to the game where the AI lines up and snaps the ball with 1 second left and hits the FG to send into overtime.

Not possible. Not even remotely possible. It's possible for receivers to drop 12 balls in a single game (which happened twice to me in NCAA). It is outside the realm of possibility for a FG unti to come onto the field, have the OL from 30 yards back run up, set up, and snap the football in under 5 seconds. It's just not possible.

I hit Simulate to end (I lose).....I don't save it. I turn off my XBox.

Good thing this game only set me back 20 bucks...

Last edited by sabotai : 07-24-2004 at 04:07 PM.
Old 07-24-2004, 04:35 PM   #245
Flasch186
Coordinator

can this stuff be fixed via download through xbox live?

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2004, 04:38 PM   #246
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186
can this stuff be fixed via download through xbox live?

Can it? Yes.

Will it?
Old 07-24-2004, 04:57 PM   #247
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai
Now I have a really big problem with this game. One that may have me running to Madden.

Picture it. NYG vs. WAS, the Redskins are winning 17-13 at the 2 minute warning. Eli Manning, in his second season, takes the snap at the Washington 15, drops back and hits Toomer for the TOUCHDOWN! New York now leads 20-17.

Washington gets the ball, drivs the field and with 1:05 left misses a long FG attempt. NY gets the ball, runs three plays forcing Washington to use all 3 time outs. But they get no where and have to punt the ball. Washing manages a first down or two but with no time outs are left with just 11 seconds left as Ramsey spikes the ball at the NYG 35 yard line.

Ramsey takes the snap, throws a bomb, it's COMPLETE! To the New York 32 yard line but with only 5 seconds left, not enough time to run up and spike the ball and the game is over....

But it's not. Up comes with play call screen with the AI's FG attampt already selected (no time runs down), I pick FG block thinking "wtf....", to the game where the AI lines up and snaps the ball with 1 second left and hits the FG to send into overtime.

Not possible. Not even remotely possible. It's possible for receivers to drop 12 balls in a single game (which happened twice to me in NCAA). It is outside the realm of possibility for a FG unti to come onto the field, have the OL from 30 yards back run up, set up, and snap the football in under 5 seconds. It's just not possible.

I hit Simulate to end (I lose).....I don't save it. I turn off my XBox.

Good thing this game only set me back 20 bucks...

That situation is just terrible. If that happens frequently, that would kill my enjoyment of my franchise.
Old 07-24-2004, 05:09 PM   #248
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Well, I'm 2-0 online, with a 16-10 OT win. Whattagame
Old 07-24-2004, 05:13 PM   #249
JeeberD
General Manager

I'll probably be on later this evening and will be looking to play my first on-line game...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2004, 05:34 PM   #250
Joe Canadian
College Prospect

Can someone explain how the cap works in the NFL? It's been awhile since I've played FOF or TPF, and for some reason I've forgotten everything...

Why is it that when I trade a $9 Mil guy for a $400 K guy, my Cap status gets worse instead of better... same thing when trading Big Salary guys for just picks?????
Joe Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote