Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-14-2004, 08:43 PM   #201
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I'm in my first offseason and thought I'd share a couple of further thoughts:

1. Setting the budget between recruiting, discipline, and training is a great little addition

2. Players leave much more readily Actually this is a good thing, but my USC team is getting gutted. I had three great running backs, but I couldn't convince the 2nd or 3rd string half back to cancel their transfers because they weren't getting the ball enough. Also, I lost a very good guard to a transfer. They all are very highly rated and it makes sense they would want more playing time. Also, guys that are top rated guys are more aggressive about entering the draft early when they can. (I wonder if it will make the transfer guys sit out a year.)

3. Recruiting appears to be tougher. I'm needing to be more selective this year even though this year USC is a 6 star team (they were a 5 star team at the beginning of a dynasty last year.) There are only so many points to go around, even at the biggest schools

4. I love being able to recruit an "athlete" It's interesting to try to figure out where that 6"5 240 guy might fit in. He has 4.58 speed. WR? TE? Somewhere else?

All-in-all I like the new additions to the offseason and general feel of recruiting more in this year's rendition.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 07-14-2004 at 08:44 PM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 08:50 PM   #202
JeeberD
General Manager

I haven't read through this entire thread yet, but real rosters aren't available on-line yet, are they? I bought an Action Replay when I bought the game and can't wait to put it to use...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 08:57 PM   #203
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

In regards to my last post, #2 and #3 are related. I tried very hard to get my 2nd string RB and my star MLB to return to the team. I wasted a lot of points to be told no. You only get 1 attempt to convince them which I like.
Old 07-14-2004, 08:58 PM   #204
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD
I haven't read through this entire thread yet, but real rosters aren't available on-line yet, are they? I bought an Action Replay when I bought the game and can't wait to put it to use...

http://www.utopiafootball.com/forums...ead.php?t=9491

Try that link it should help....
Old 07-14-2004, 09:08 PM   #205
JeeberD
General Manager

Thanks Noop, but I was hoping for the rosters that can be downloade rather than having to send off memory cards. Hopefully those will show up soon...

Last edited by JeeberD : 07-14-2004 at 09:08 PM.
Old 07-14-2004, 09:27 PM   #206
korme
Go Reds

Yep, being crappy Ohio I have gotten a WR from Arizona State (Jeff Gray) and a runningback from Maryland (unidentifable). They had to sit out a year.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 09:29 PM   #207
korme
Go Reds

Changing positions rocks too.

I recruited an OLB 76 OVR, 3 star maybe. I am fooling around and notice he turns into a 90 OVR RE. That's sick. I immediately change him.
Old 07-14-2004, 09:30 PM   #208
Balldog
Pro Rookie

They just randomly assign the transfers, correct?
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 09:31 PM   #209
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty3281

I recruited an OLB 76 OVR, 3 star maybe. I am fooling around and notice he turns into a 90 OVR RE. That's sick. I immediately change him.

Yeah, I recruited at 6'3" 205 lbs Athlete. Figured he would play S or WR, he started at QB half the season since my starting QB got hurt. He was supposed to be a better RB but I already had 2 good Freshman recruits are running backs. This is very cool.
Old 07-14-2004, 09:32 PM   #210
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Thanks Noop, but I was hoping for the rosters that can be downloade rather than having to send off memory cards. Hopefully those will show up soon...

For what system?

There are some available for XBOX at OS but only the ACC and a couple other conferences are complete.
Old 07-14-2004, 09:35 PM   #211
JeeberD
General Manager

Yup, I need it for X-Box. What's OS?

Old 07-14-2004, 09:35 PM   #212
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balldog
For what system?

There are some available for XBOX at OS but only the ACC and a couple other conferences are complete.

Link for XBOX file, click here.
Old 07-14-2004, 09:36 PM   #213
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Link for XBOX file, click here.

Its has the ACC, SEC, Notre Dame and some of the C-USA teams done. I guess he has 90 teams done now but isn't going to release the file again until he has everyone done. Kind of sucks. Oh well.
Old 07-14-2004, 09:39 PM   #214
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Gotta agree with those who love the position changing. I just recruited the top athlete in the nation. He is 6'5 211 and runs a 4.4. He has a great arm and was a QB in H.S. I don't need a QB this year as I have 4 and he would be 4th on my depth chart. However, I desperately need a CB. So, I can have him as a 78 QB or a 72 overall CB. I make him a CB and after training he is already starting to improve. He will play nickle this year, and I think he will be a star at CB before his career is over.

Also, I enjoy being able to see an approximate discipline rating during the scouting process. I hope it is only an approximate because I just got stuck with a punter who has great skills but I didn't recruit, due to his poor discipline. I recruited a less talented P who was better off the field, but he went to Oklahoma, so this bad boy decided to walk onto my team. It will be interesting to see how much I have to discipline him throughout the year. The tradeoff is his skills make him an 80 overall as a true freshman.
Old 07-14-2004, 09:39 PM   #215
Troll
H.S. Freshman Team

My friend bought the game at Blockbusters and I paid him back for it. He's the store manager and pulled a copy as soon as they came to the local store. Better late than never. Bumped the quarter length to 7 minutes and diff. to AA. Started a dynasty with Georgia. Clubbed Georgia Southern 41-0. I missed 2 field goals and a PAT. Worst kicker on earth. Now playing @ South Caroline. Just took the lead 7-0 with about 1 min to go in the 1st. This game can be tough. My first possesion I got 1 1st down but had to punt. This time I moved the ball fairly well but took 4 runs to get it in when I had 1st and goal from the 3. Love the game.
Troll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 09:39 PM   #216
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yup, I need it for X-Box. What's OS?

Operation Sports, a fairly large sports gaming website.
Old 07-14-2004, 09:44 PM   #217
Cuckoo
College Starter

Quote:

I love this feature. After playing several seasons though, I'm seeing this far too many times. A mediocre outside linebacker recruit turns into a very good defensive end a large percentage of the time. I've been able to do one every season so far.
Cuckoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 09:46 PM   #218
JeeberD
General Manager

Cool, thanks guys...

Old 07-14-2004, 10:01 PM   #219
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

am I the only one having an impossible time passing the ball effectively? anybody have any tips or slider recommendations? I'm currently playing on AA.
Old 07-14-2004, 10:16 PM   #220
Cuckoo
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamEdwards
am I the only one having an impossible time passing the ball effectively? anybody have any tips or slider recommendations? I'm currently playing on AA.

I play on AA and bumped my accuracy and receiver catching both up two. With a very good quarterback, I'm completing around fifty-five to sixty percent of my passes which seems about right. Of course, I take some ridiculous chances sometimes.
Cuckoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 10:19 PM   #221
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I'm just halfway through simming the 2nd of 4 seasons to get rid of "real" players with numbers only so I can't answer your question Cam.

This year due to my mostly recruiting "good guys" with high offseason scouted discipline ratings, my team discipline rating is an "A" whereas it was a "B" last year. I'm noticing much less need for disciplinary action. Actually, through 7 weeks, I haven't had to discipline even one player!

Unfortunately (actually I think it is really cool), the home field advantage seems to work even when simming. Last year a tough loss in the 4th quarter at Notre Dame cost me a chance for the national championship and an undefeated season. This year, Oregon was listed as one of the top 25 most difficult places to play, and they beat me on their field by a point, ruining my perfect season.

I think it is really cool that it seems to take the home field advantage into sim play. Also, I like that if I recruit "good guys" I can keep the need for discipline down. I just hope that punter doesn't start acting up
Old 07-14-2004, 10:24 PM   #222
korme
Go Reds

I wish I could build a stadium. Dinky Ohio Stadium is never going to be a tough place to play, even if we go undefeated.
Old 07-14-2004, 10:47 PM   #223
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Another cool but in this one case annoying feature: I'm pretty sure Matt Leinart just broke his ankle in practice! I might have missed an injury after my last game, but I really don't think I did. I had an off week the week before and I was looking at my injury list and discipline list before the game, as I do every week and I noticed that Leinart is out for the season. Too bad as it was his senior season and he already had 2500 yards passing 21TD's and only 3 interceptions, and looked to be a lock for the Heisman. These stats were with 6 starts, with a more pass heavy emphasis in my sim settings this year (60% pass, 40% run and aggressive play calling up high.) He also had completed just over 70% of his passes.

Anyway, maybe I missed an injury at the end of the last sim, but if guys can get hurt in practice that is just another level of realism that is cool

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 07-14-2004 at 10:48 PM.
Old 07-14-2004, 10:49 PM   #224
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Arggg! Been so busy.. no time for new game. I need sleep! .. but keep the impressions coming!!

ps2 rosters from Blacklover can be had here: http://www.geekrosters.com/main.htm

Too bad I have an Xbox, so don't ask me how to use an Xport or sharkport for ps2.

Todd
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 10:55 PM   #225
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Tips have been aplenty so far for me.. I have more than a few tips that go 10 feet in the air and get picked off, or I pick off. It's more realistic than last years tips, but it happens almost too many times. Still fun, nonetheless.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 11:04 PM   #226
korme
Go Reds

Shit. Playing Texas A&M and their crowd is going nuts. I call an audible, an option. No one hears it.

My QB hikes it, and sticks his arms out to run as they do with options, but all my other players ran their normal routes for the first passing play that was called. My QB got sacked.
Old 07-14-2004, 11:07 PM   #227
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

JeeberD,

Gagnon39 is doing an Xbox AR set over at OS.

*edit - you have to sign up to read the forums

as this is where they will be posted for download once they are ready.. he already has a partial set for download...

Todd

Last edited by MizzouRah : 07-15-2004 at 11:32 PM.
Old 07-14-2004, 11:16 PM   #228
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Well after recruiting guys with good discipline (except for that punter), my team managed to only have 1 infraction the entire year! It was just skipping a practice, which got the player a half game suspension from me. No other problems. It will be interesting to see if I can bring in one or two super talents with bad attitude without disrupting the teamwide chemistry or if it will have a more synergistic expression in the game where one bad apple will multiple and bring out other discontents on the team.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 07-14-2004 at 11:17 PM.
Old 07-15-2004, 12:03 AM   #229
korme
Go Reds

anyone want to play online?
Old 07-15-2004, 12:04 AM   #230
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
anyone want to play online?

I'd play you, but you're on PS2, right?
Old 07-15-2004, 12:47 AM   #231
korme
Go Reds

yes david
Old 07-15-2004, 09:53 AM   #232
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Just some random thoughts - I haven't really touched the dynasty mode at all as I just opened the game last night...

I've played only a few games - part of one on Varsity, then I hiked it up to All-American. I REALLY like the home field advantage in the game. Late last night I brought Maryland into Michigan State and we were getting slaughtered. Most of the slaughter was directly related to my shanked punts, but when the crowd in Lansing got fired up, it added an additional level of difficulty for me - it was great! After being down 31-0 at halftime, I decided to call it a night (it was 1am, and I had to wake up with the kids at 5).

I woke up this morning and started thinking about my trouncing at the hands of Mich State. I was kind of worried that AA would just be impossible to play and that I'd have to go back to Varsity (which I found too easy). So, I decided to take Maryland on the road again, but this time to a much easier school (and place to play), UTEP. Unexpectedly, this game was a breeze, as we easily defeated them, 45-0. Therefore, I'm pleased about the level of competition (and I look forward to playing a one-off against Mich State again ).

Random musings...

The first two series UTEP ran some kind of sweep to the tailback and though there was no one near him defensively he promptly ran out of bounds for 6 yard losses. I was beginning to become concerned that there was some kind of "Maryland vs. UTEP" bug, but this never happened again.

As others have said, passing is difficult, but I like it.

The only slow downs I've seen are during the cut-aways after a play. I've seen no slow downs in-game.

This game has somehow improved on last year's edition - there will be many "2-hours of sleep" nights in the coming weeks.

Did anyone notice the reference in the manual to the out of town scoreboard during online play? It shows the scores of REAL games as well as the games of your FRIENDS? How cool is that?! Has anyone tested this yet?
CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 10:02 AM   #233
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca
Just some random thoughts - I haven't really touched the dynasty mode at all as I just opened the game last night...

I've played only a few games - part of one on Varsity, then I hiked it up to All-American. I REALLY like the home field advantage in the game. Late last night I brought Maryland into Michigan State and we were getting slaughtered. Most of the slaughter was directly related to my shanked punts, but when the crowd in Lansing got fired up, it added an additional level of difficulty for me - it was great! After being down 31-0 at halftime, I decided to call it a night (it was 1am, and I had to wake up with the kids at 5).

I woke up this morning and started thinking about my trouncing at the hands of Mich State. I was kind of worried that AA would just be impossible to play and that I'd have to go back to Varsity (which I found too easy). So, I decided to take Maryland on the road again, but this time to a much easier school (and place to play), UTEP. Unexpectedly, this game was a breeze, as we easily defeated them, 45-0. Therefore, I'm pleased about the level of competition (and I look forward to playing a one-off against Mich State again ).

Random musings...

The first two series UTEP ran some kind of sweep to the tailback and though there was no one near him defensively he promptly ran out of bounds for 6 yard losses. I was beginning to become concerned that there was some kind of "Maryland vs. UTEP" bug, but this never happened again.

As others have said, passing is difficult, but I like it.

The only slow downs I've seen are during the cut-aways after a play. I've seen no slow downs in-game.

This game has somehow improved on last year's edition - there will be many "2-hours of sleep" nights in the coming weeks.

Did anyone notice the reference in the manual to the out of town scoreboard during online play? It shows the scores of REAL games as well as the games of your FRIENDS? How cool is that?! Has anyone tested this yet?

Excellent thoughts, thanks. I can't wait until the Xbox rosters are done.. should be ready just in time for the weekend! No kids, no wife, just me, xbox, and NCAA!

Todd
Old 07-15-2004, 10:18 AM   #234
heybrad
Norm!!!

Quick Question...

Is the home field advantage updated as time goes on or are the same places constantly the hardest to play at?
heybrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 10:23 AM   #235
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
Well after recruiting guys with good discipline (except for that punter), my team managed to only have 1 infraction the entire year! It was just skipping a practice, which got the player a half game suspension from me. No other problems. It will be interesting to see if I can bring in one or two super talents with bad attitude without disrupting the teamwide chemistry or if it will have a more synergistic expression in the game where one bad apple will multiple and bring out other discontents on the team.

I want to read a dynasty... hint-hint.

Todd
Old 07-15-2004, 11:44 AM   #236
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Once I get moved and a good set of XBOX rosters are released I will probably try to write a dynasty. Though mine usually suck.
Old 07-15-2004, 11:44 AM   #237
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by heybrad
Quick Question...

Is the home field advantage updated as time goes on or are the same places constantly the hardest to play at?

I believe they change over time. Not sure what the criteria is though.
Old 07-15-2004, 12:38 PM   #238
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

For those who are not button-mashers: This game sucks for just coaching. The computer makes horrible decisions for your QB, and he gets shaken up at the drop of a hat. I have turned my sliders all the way to max on accuracy and catching and I still cannot get above a 40% completion rating. I am going to be steaming if I can't find a good slider combo. I have only played cupcake teams with UGA so far, and my offensive stats are very bad. Errrrrr....

Last edited by GrantDawg : 07-15-2004 at 12:38 PM.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 12:45 PM   #239
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Once I get moved and a good set of XBOX rosters are released I will probably try to write a dynasty. Though mine usually suck.

Mine do to, but I might try one as well once xbox rosters are out (later today I think).

I will be playing on AA defaults, if that sucks well, another quick dynasty.

Todd
Old 07-15-2004, 12:52 PM   #240
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
I want to read a dynasty... hint-hint.

Todd

I've been considering a dynasty quite a bit. I was thinking that I would wait until the numbers are all out of the system as I don't have the inclination to look up every player's number this year, and Player "QB #3" doesn't make for exciting dynasty reading. However, once I get past the 4 years (hopefully this evening) and have all names I was planning on picking up a dynasty from that point
Old 07-15-2004, 12:54 PM   #241
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
I've been considering a dynasty quite a bit. I was thinking that I would wait until the numbers are all out of the system as I don't have the inclination to look up every player's number this year, and Player "QB #3" doesn't make for exciting dynasty reading. However, once I get past the 4 years (hopefully this evening) and have all names I was planning on picking up a dynasty from that point

Looking foward to it!

Todd
Old 07-15-2004, 01:02 PM   #242
druez
Banned

is there anyway to sim 4 years? without your coach being in charge of a team. Then at the end of four years, put him on the team you want em?
druez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 01:21 PM   #243
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
So, I decided to take Maryland on the road again, but this time to a much easier school (and place to play), UTEP.

Last edited by JeeberD : 07-15-2004 at 01:23 PM.
Old 07-15-2004, 01:23 PM   #244
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:

Would someone who is experiencing slowdowns on the Xbox please describe it? I mean, it is just overall sluggishness, or does the game suddenly slow down during certain points of the action?

I've noticed that gameplay is consistently slower on mine compared with the practice mode, but I don't know if I should try for a new disk or if that's just the way the game is. Since it's a consistent speed (i.e. it doesn't slow down during specific actions or plays) it seems to be quite playable.
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 01:30 PM   #245
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:

Sorry about that - blame EA as they gave UTEP an overall grade in the "C"-range.

Last edited by CraigSca : 07-15-2004 at 01:36 PM.
Old 07-15-2004, 01:34 PM   #246
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by moriarty
Would someone who is experiencing slowdowns on the Xbox please describe it? I mean, it is just overall sluggishness, or does the game suddenly slow down during certain points of the action?

I've noticed that gameplay is consistently slower on mine compared with the practice mode, but I don't know if I should try for a new disk or if that's just the way the game is. Since it's a consistent speed (i.e. it doesn't slow down during specific actions or plays) it seems to be quite playable.

Just a note - I still play on the PS2, so my comment on slowdowns only occurring after play is stopped may only be for the PS2 version.

On a side note, I pre-ordered the game through amazon.com and had the game on my doorstep Wednesday morning. Today, I had to head to the local Circuit City to get a VCR/DVD combo as our VCR threw up after one too many Veggie Tales/Kid Songs helpings. On a lark, I looked for NCAA 2005 for the PS2 and XBox - they had NO copies available (but plenty of NCAA 2004 ).

Regarding passing...during work hours I've been setting up some matchups and having the game play itself. Passing percentages do seem to be a little low in this mode, though total yardage and scoring seem to be right. I may have to hike up some of the completion sliders, but I'm hoping that doesn't adversely effect the rest of the game and throw it out of balance. I'm trying to get these settings right before I begin any dynasty.
Old 07-15-2004, 02:59 PM   #247
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by druez
is there anyway to sim 4 years? without your coach being in charge of a team. Then at the end of four years, put him on the team you want em?

Start a dynasty with 2 teams. Have the coach you want to keep quit his job before playing your first game. Then, when you want him to coach after 4 years, just have him sign up for a job.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 03:33 PM   #248
Troll
H.S. Freshman Team

Pump fakes help the passing out alot IMHO. I just burnt Tennessee with a pump fake, the LB bit on it and allowed me to throw it over the middle to my WR who had the CB beat on a slant.
Troll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 03:42 PM   #249
korme
Go Reds

I instinctively pump fake every play.
Old 07-15-2004, 03:49 PM   #250
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah

Looking foward to it!

Todd

Thanks

Also in regards to the latest posts in this thread, I love having the pump fake being controlled by the right stick.