Old 06-19-2004, 12:53 PM   #201
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Latest news…

From the London Herald…

Italy Joins ET Alliance!

Most Major European Countries Now Stand with our Extraterrestial Friends

Criticism of X-COM Escalates

1 December 2003 – (AP, Rome) After days of deliberations, Italian officials yesterday jubilantly declared a total political, economic, and military alliance with Extraterrestial forces in our system. The pact will open the door to alien trade and economic aid that proponents claim will revolutionize the entire country. The signing makes Italy the fourth major country to sign with the ETs in recent months, and sends yet another blow against the terrorist X-COM forces that have waged an unsuccessful war against alien unification over the past year. With this signing, a significant portion of the European Union’s might swings in favor of the Extraterrestial Alliance.

A Sectoid-owned French canteen. Since August, aliens have been permitted to own businesses in allied countries. AP Photo

“Without a doubt,” says retired British Commander Ben Dover, “this announcement is yet another nail in the reactionary, anti-alien forces’ attempt to discredit the alliance. With X-COM now in disarray, it looks like we may be approaching the end of the war.”

Indeed, things look dire for X-COM. They have been fighting a bloody, defensive war for 11 months, but have suffered horrendous casualties of late, and have made no progress in stemming the tide of alien cooperation with Earth. Furthermore, morale on their bases appears to be bad and getting worse. In late November, a long-standing X-COM agent defected to the aliens, bringing with him significant amounts of classified intelligence. A controversial internal investigation and trial—instigated by the disgruntled relative of an X-COM agent killed in action—has led to further division amongst the ranks. It has even been reported that rookie agents are begging for fellow agents to die so that they can get better rations on base.

Civilian complaints against X-COM are also mounting, as reports of excessive use of force have skyrocketed since X-COM began using “Blaster Missiles” against civilians. “They blew my house apart!” laments Nomoa Adobe. “I went out to get some kitty treats for Igor, my Siamese cat, and when I came back I didn’t have a house or a cat. They killed my kitten, the bastards. I hope they rot in hell!”

A British manor destroyed by reactionary X-COM terrorists. AP Photo

“X-COM is a minor annoyance, but the world is quickly coming to the conclusion that it is better to live in harmony with peaceful aliens such than to fight against us merely because we are ‘different’, and the scorched earth tactics X-COM is using clearly show the world their true colors. Whether they lose militarily or politically, clearly their days are numbered,” states Sectoid Leader, the Extraterrestial ambassador to England.

Conversely, morale in allied countries is soaring. Unique foodstuffs, alien technological goods, and UFO rides have all proven wildly popular amongst the progressive allied nations.

“I love my new plasma car!” declares Betty Goez, a resident of Newcastle. “It gets 120 miles to the gallon. Not that it matters, with the Ets giving us free plasma and all.”

“I think they’re cute,” adds Dewmi Nau, a 23-year-old bartender in London. “They come into the bar sometimes and have a pint with the regulars. The gals love ‘em. We don’t get their jokes, but rumor has it that they are great in bed. I’d love to date one!”

A British officer displays the new ETAlliance military headgear and salute. AP Photo

Even the kids love it. “For my birthday, me pop got me a ride in a UFO!” blurts 11-year-old Buddy Duznt of Cambridge. “I was a little scared when they picked up an X-COM terror ship on radar, but it was far enough away and they never came close. What a blast! And I’m really happily now that the ETs are giving away Sectoid Heroes for my PS3. I just decapitated Wade Moore on my game last night! It rocks!”

With all the benefits so obvious, it is hardly surprising that UN support for the X-COM project is fading fast. One expert even predicts the war’s end before January. “The UN isn’t going to wait so long that their member countries all defect to the aliens. Once the ball starts rolling, the UN is going to jump to unite with the ET cause. Those UN countries don’t want to fall hopelessly behind economically for the era of prosperity that will follow the war. We could have peace by New Year’s!

Last edited by Godzilla Blitz : 06-21-2004 at 10:59 PM.
Godzilla Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2004, 01:01 PM   #202
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Haters.
Old 06-19-2004, 01:36 PM   #203
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Awesome!
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2004, 02:08 PM   #204
kingfc22
Head Coach

Down with ITALY!!!
Old 06-19-2004, 03:50 PM   #205
Blade6119
Coordinator

wow, italy surrendered...who didnt see that one coming...there right there with the french in longevity of wars...first time an enemy is seen they surrender. As long as we have lichtenstein were ok!
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2004, 05:26 PM   #206
JeeberD
General Manager

Give me that Blaster Launcher again, boss! Those Ethereals are going down!!!

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2004, 05:43 PM   #207
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Upcoming...

Should be posting Mission 104 tonight. I'll update stats (with the crucial PSI results!) and move the game forward on Sunday. I'll also pick our first two agents for the Mars Mission tomorrow. This is the procedure we'll use to select our 18 agents:

1-8: Command choice
9: Kodos' choice
10-11: Agents' choice (vote)
12-14: British Base Assault Challenge Winners (Command choice for the fourteen contestants)
15: Random lottery of all active agents
16-18: Command choice
19-23 (Alternates): Command choice

Also, I've been a few missions ahead the past few weeks, but from now on out I'm reporting results as I play the game, so I have as little idea as to what the future holds as you do.

Blade6119: LOL!

Sachmo: Thanks!

Travis, Fonzie, Rich, Gkb: You're in. We still need one more agent, so if you're on the waiting list, this is your chance. Maybe your last chance.

FF Froggies: I really don't know what to say about your shooting. It really is amazing. Whenever I have you fire, the shots don't just miss, they head off almost sideways. I've never seen anyone quite this bad. I hope you can break out of the slump quickly.

Last edited by Godzilla Blitz : 06-19-2004 at 05:45 PM.
Old 06-19-2004, 05:55 PM   #208
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Fate, don't pee on my hands now.
Old 06-19-2004, 06:34 PM   #209
Thomkal
Head Coach

ohmygod!

I'm not sure I'm ever going to be able to stop laughing after reading that "article" GB! well done!

Of course Thomkal II is pissed about it...
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2004, 06:36 PM   #210
kingfc22
Head Coach

Random agent.

YES!!! I have a chance to step foot on the Red planet.
Old 06-19-2004, 06:57 PM   #211
MrBug708
Head Coach

What countries joined the alliance? France?
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2004, 06:58 PM   #212
Poli
FOFC Survivor

How many agents are there? I'm just trying to assess my odds.
Old 06-19-2004, 08:37 PM   #213
Chuck U Farley
n00b

Did Chuck die? Or is he too busy playing football?
Chuck U Farley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2004, 08:43 PM   #214
jerk3616
n00b

I have to apologize for FF Froggies poor shooting; we've spent too many late nights "infiltrating" the Sectoid-owned bar in the French canteen. Just do what I always do: shoot the middle one.
jerk3616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2004, 10:50 PM   #215
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

104th Mission: Ethereals in Minnesota

The USA COM Skyranger hugs the ground on its short 100-mile jaunt to western Minnesota. The men quickly go through their preparation routines for combat.

With D-Day only 14 days away, X-COM Command will be testing some of the strategies under consideration for the Martian assault. Today will be the first test of the Decoy Ducks. Klayman III, who cracked easily on a mission a few weeks ago, and Alf III, who graded out on the PSI-scale at a measly 18, are the first troops to volunteer to test the strategy. Both men will go into combat completely unarmed. They goal is to have them fall harmlessly under PSI-control.

Wade Moore will lead our men.

Our men:

Left Side:
1. Ardent Enthusiast (Heavy Plasma, Flying Suit)
2. Airhog II (Heavy Plasma, Flying Suit)
3. Wade Moore (Heavy Plasma, Flying Suit)
4. AStott (Blaster Launcher, Flying Suit)
5. Klayman III (Power Suit)

Right Side:
1. Alf III (Power Suit)
2. Achilles (Heavy Plasma, Flying Suit)
3. Sublime II (Heavy Plasma, Flying Suit)
4. Jeeber D (Heavy Plasma, Flying Suit)
5. Katon II (Heavy Plasma, Flying Suit)

The Skyranger drops to the cold, sunny Minnesota countryside. The region has been hit by an early cold snap, and temps shouldn’t go north of 10 degrees for this morning’s battle. The men scan the battlefield below. We’ll be landing on the southwest corner of the active zone, so the areas up by the nose of the Skyranger and to the left of our exit are secure. Elsewhere, we have the standard rural fare: fields, some hedgegrows, fences, etc. There is no sign of either the UFO or any buildings.

The Skyranger touches down, bounces on the hard soil, and comes to a rest. The ramp falls away with a dull thud. Alarms! Red lights! Hot landing! There is an Ethereal charging at us through the field in front of the exit. He’s about 40 meters away and closing fast. Our tank jerks forward, toward the exit. Achilles and Ardent Enthusiast follow right behind it. The Ethereal opens fire first, sending a couple of shots clanging off our Skyranger and a third one off the upper hull of our Hovertank that rips off an antenna. The Hovertank keeps going and starts to drift down to the ground. Just as it drops out of their line of fire, Achilles and Ardent open fire on the Ethereal. A hail of plasma goes tearing out of the craft. Achilles is right on the money, as he rips off the alien’s left leg at the kneecap with one hit, then blows apart its upper chest before the creature even hits the ground from the first shot. The Ethereal tumbles to the ground. Orange blood drains onto the cold, hard earth. X-COM 1, Aliens 0.

Our tank goes vertical to scan the battlefield. Another Ethereal! This one is about 30 meters to the right of the nose of our Skyranger. Ardent and Wade Moore come flying out of the Skyranger, turn up towards the alien, and open fire. The Ethereal goes for his weapon as a rain of plasma rips up the earth near its feet. Ardent gets dissed again, as Wade blows the alien apart with his second shot. X-COM 2, Aliens 0.

We get a moment to catch our breath and get our men out of the Skyranger. Our tank goes vertical and starts fanning the battlefield in search of aliens. Alf III exits the Skyranger. He breaks right, away from our exit, and moves to the front of our position. He’ll try to draw the PSI-attacks when they come. Jeeber D is right on his heels, but goes up high over the battlefield, about 10 meters behind our tank. Wade Moore pulls back toward the edge of the Skyranger, as we’ll want to spread out the experience as much as possible, and this should be a relatively short mission. The rest of the men move toward the exit.

Our tank quickly spots two more Ethereals, about 50 meters away, and closing in on position through the air. We wait for them to get within range, and then Ardent opens up on the one on the right as Jeeber does likewise to the one on the left. The Ethereals have no chance: Ardent’s first shot guts his target; Jeeber’s first two shots send the other Ethereal toppling to the ground with a shattered chest. Boo yaa! Nice shooting, men! X-COM 4, Aliens 0!

Before those two aliens even stop twitching, our threat sensors turn green. Huh? Wow, that was quick. So nice of the aliens to make our job easier by charging the Skyranger. Surprised there were only four left; it was a medium scout.

Kills: Wade Moore, 1; Ardent Enthusiast, 1; Jeeber D, 1; Achilles, 1.
KIA: None.
Wounded: None.
Attribute Improvements: Wade Moore, Ardent Enthusiast, Jeeber D, Achilles.
Final score: 122
Mission Notes:
Taking no casualties is always nice, but I would have liked to have met more resistance in order to be able to test our Decoy Duck strategy. A quick four-minute mission with no PSI-attacks tells us nothing.
Old 06-19-2004, 11:21 PM   #216
Tellistto
College Prospect

Stupid aliens never cooperate when you want them too, the bastards!

Tell
Tellistto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2004, 11:37 PM   #217
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Stupid Magic 8 Ball! I lived!

Last edited by Poli : 06-19-2004 at 11:37 PM.
Poli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2004, 11:59 PM   #218
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Random Replies...

Ardent: Not only did you live, but you got an alien as well! Nice job!

Chuck: EU COM has been quiet for a bit, but I would expect you'll be on the next mission out of there.

Ardent: There are about 60 agents now, but 14 will be already on the Mars force by the time we pick the random agent, and another handful or so won't be included because they're not around any more. I'd say an agent's chances are about 1 in 40-45 to get selected in the lottery.

Mr. Bug: England was the first country to join the aliens. France went next, I believer. Germany joined a short while later. Italy makes the fourth.

Thomkal: Thanks!

Jerk: Aha! That explains FF Froggies' shooting! Alien beer will do that every time. Stick with the Coors from now on.

Tellistto: I thought for sure we'd get hit with some PSI attacks on that mission. It ended so fast I didn't even get half the men out of the Skyranger. I'd rather have that type of a mission, though, than a mission where I have to hunt all over the map for two aliens. Those take forever to write up and there's hardly any action.
Old 06-20-2004, 01:10 AM   #219
MrBug708
Head Coach

Are the Swiss staying Neutral? I hope the Dutch don't stray....
Old 06-20-2004, 01:58 AM   #220
tucker342
Pro Starter

Is it too late to answer your call?
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2004, 05:06 PM   #221
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla Blitz
Today will be the first test of the Decoy Ducks. Klayman III, who cracked easily on a mission a few weeks ago, and Alf III, who graded out on the PSI-scale at a measly 18, are the first troops to volunteer to test the strategy.

Volunteer!?! I gotta stop sleeping through the mission briefings.
klayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2004, 05:25 PM   #222
JeeberD
General Manager

Woot, got me another alien!!!

When do we get to see the results of the latest Psi testing, GB?

Old 06-20-2004, 09:06 PM   #223
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD
When do we get to see the results of the latest Psi testing, GB?

Right now.

Tense agents cluster around the latest stat update, posted at each of our bases. The results of perhaps our last PSI training could dramatically raise or lower the chances to get on the Avenger to Mars.

X-COM II Troop Master List (After Mission 104)

USA COM
Code:
ID Name Status Rank Miss. Kills 14. Wade Moore Active Colonel 27 25 43. Achilles Active Sergeant 22 16 46. Patman II Active Captain 23 13 55. Sublime II Active Sergeant 21 11 74. AStott Active Captain 19 19 75. Alf III Active Squaddie 10 5 92. Jeeber D Active Squaddie 13 10 98. MrBug IV Active Squaddie 11 5 112. Airhog II Active Squaddie 6 1 114. Blade6119 IV WND (12) Squaddie 4 4 115. Klayman III Active Squaddie 5 4 121. Katon II Active Squaddie 3 2 129. Ardent Enthusiast Active Squaddie 4 3 133. Lokugh III Active Squaddie 3 1 143. Anxiety III Active Squaddie 2 1

EU COM
Code:
ID Name Status Rank Miss. Kills 2. jfbbis WND (Coma) Colonel 23 23 10. Kodos Active Commander 27 26 19. Revrew Active Captain 25 23 70. Naiwf Active Sergeant 15 10 89. RealDeal III Active Squaddie 12 7 90. Coffee Warlord II Active Sergeant 13 11 101. Wolfpack Active Sergeant 9 10 102. Japherwaki II Active Squaddie 10 7 105. Swaggs Active Sergeant 11 10 110. Breeze Active Squaddie 6 8 116. Chuck U Farley Active Squaddie 5 5 122. Mike Vic Active Squaddie 3 4 123. Vince Active Squaddie 3 3 128. ShaefIllini Active Squaddie 2 1 131. Raven Hawk II Active Squaddie 2 3

ASIA COM
Code:
ID Name Status Rank Miss. Kills 35. Jeff Nights II Active Captain 26 14 39. Thomkal II Active Sergeant 21 18 41. Fat Football II Active Sergeant 19 9 45. Danny VanHalen Active Sergeant 20 14 52. Qwikshot II Active Captain 21 12 84. Split Pers III Active Sergeant 10 9 93. Afoci Active Squaddie 10 8 96. Illinifan V Active Squaddie 9 7 109. Glengoyne Active Squaddie 7 5 117. Psycho Cop II Active Squaddie 3 2 118. Calis Active Squaddie 6 1 124. Sir Fozzie II Active Squaddie 5 1 127. Hoops Guy Active Squaddie 4 2 134. BYU II Active Squaddie 4 0 137. FF Froggies Active Squaddie 3 0

SAM COM
Code:
ID Name Status Rank Miss. Kills 71. Wignasty Active Squaddie 7 3 130. Peregrine Active Rookie 0 0 132. Northwood DK Active Rookie 0 0

AFRICA COM
Code:
ID Name Status Rank Miss. Kills 59. Daimyo II WND (10) Squaddie 9 5 94. Data King III Active Squaddie 5 2 125. Chief Rum IV Active Rookie 0 0 136. Barkeep Active Rookie 0 0 138. Blade IV Active Rookie 0 0 139. Tasan II Active Rookie 0 0 141. Render III Active Rookie 0 0

X-COM II Troop Attributes
Code:
Name TUs Sta Hlt Brv Rea Fir Thw Str PsD PsS 2. jfbbis 78 85 61 30 35 88 58 61 75 16 10. Kodos 80 93 60 50 62 85 74 64 75 20 14. Wade Moore 81 84 59 30 59 93 72 68 86 21 19. Revrew 79 73 57 30 38 68 60 65 91 31 35. Jeff Nights II 76 82 57 60 33 67 63 57 97 29 39. Thomkal II 74 94 60 30 56 52 61 55 60 25 41. Fat Football II 71 72 43 50 38 70 73 54 99 23 43. Achilles 75 74 59 10 46 81 79 56 72 24 45. Danny VanHalen 78 85 50 10 42 63 79 52 28 21 46. Patman II 78 71 55 60 50 52 79 57 39 20 52. Qwikshot II 76 81 49 10 58 78 65 57 75 22 55. Sublime II 77 78 50 10 40 75 78 60 59 19 59. Daimyo II 65 60 48 30 47 70 64 43 70. Naiwf 76 72 53 50 40 63 69 49 26 16 71. Wignasty 64 45 37 20 38 61 72 44 74. AStott 76 62 56 50 55 73 62 59 92 18 75. Alf III 62 61 40 40 52 51 57 46 18 22 84. Split Pers III 71 71 47 30 41 64 67 44 30 20 89. RealDeal III 75 76 40 60 47 68 68 56 48 24 90. Coffee Warlord II 76 85 51 60 38 73 69 46 25 24 92. Jeeber D 65 64 47 20 31 63 78 47 77 23 93. Afoci 65 61 42 30 40 47 55 49 79 17 94. Data King III 63 52 31 50 36 52 58 35 96. Illinifan V 57 56 50 50 56 55 66 48 88 21 98. Mr. Bug IV 65 69 50 10 34 71 66 41 101. Wolfpack 72 75 41 40 38 65 59 42 65 23 102. Japherwaki II 69 81 43 20 32 53 53 50 80 22 105. Swaggs 71 77 47 60 51 78 69 51 83 36 109. Glengoyne 72 73 48 30 34 68 53 47 3 21 110. Breeze 65 51 41 60 31 72 54 42 58 16 112. Airhog II 56 67 30 60 56 44 54 29 114. Blade6119 IV 56 47 44 10 37 74 61 33 115. Klaymn III 62 80 46 30 34 72 58 36 116. Chuck U Farley 58 69 36 40 55 68 77 39 55 18 117. Psycho Cop II 53 64 40 10 60 67 50 44 55 19 118. Calis 58 57 26 50 39 55 73 35 50 22 121. Katon II 54 54 29 40 59 69 54 39 122. Mike Vic 67 50 45 10 32 44 53 43 123. Vince 60 69 31 10 45 66 57 43 124. Sir Fozzie II 60 69 32 10 31 68 50 25 81 24 125. Chief Rum IV 55 46 25 30 50 52 63 38 127. Hoops Guy 57 54 43 40 41 59 65 28 78 21 128. ShaefIllini 62 53 43 10 60 59 64 36 129. Ardent Enthusiast 66 67 35 40 48 65 72 40 130. Peregrine 55 45 37 30 35 45 64 34 131. Raven Hawk II 59 46 33 20 31 68 66 43 132. Northwood DK 51 40 27 30 54 48 56 40 133. BYU II 52 69 33 10 53 58 61 38 134. Lokugh III 54 62 39 60 40 47 55 37 136. Barkeep 52 57 33 30 34 55 73 32 137. FF Froggies 55 51 40 10 57 44 75 36 138. Blade IV 58 42 30 30 51 40 49 23 139. Tasan II 60 50 38 10 37 54 79 20 141. Render III 59 64 27 50 42 46 53 22 143. Anxiety III 56 60 42 40 38 69 68 34 Key: TUs = Time Units; Sta = Stamina; Hlt = Health; Brv = Bravery; Rea = Reactions Fir = Firing; Thw = Throwing; Str = Strength; PsD = PSI Defense; PsS = PSI Skill
Support Personnel
Code:
Head of Research: Craptacular (Current researching focus: Heavy Plasma) Head of Engineering: Sterling Ice II (Current manufacturing focus: Flying Suits, Hover Tank, Avenger Fighter) US Interceptor Pilot: CapnMorgan AF Interceptor Pilot: Superman AS Interceptor Pilot: Toddiec IV EU Firestorm Pilot: Sachmo IV

Attribute Leaders (After Mission 104)
Code:
Time Units: (81) Wade Moore Stamina: (94) Thomkal II Health: (61) Jfbbis Bravery: (60) (Nine tied) Reactions: (62) Kodos Firing: (93) Wade Moore Throwing: (79) (Three tied) Strength: (68) Wade Moore PSI Defense: (99) Fat Football II PSI Strength: (36) Swaggs

Attribute Doggies (After Mission 104)
Code:
Time Units: (51) Northwood DK Stamina: (40) Northwood DK Health: (25) Chief Rum IV Bravery: (10) (14 tied) Reactions: (31) (four tied) Firing: (40) Blade IV Throwing: (50) Sir Fozzie II, Psycho Cop II Strength: (20) Tasan II PSI Defense: ( 3) Glen Goyne PSI Strength: (16) Naiwf, Breeze, Jfbbis

Top Ten Kills Leaders
Code:
1. Kodos 26 2. Wade Moore 25 2. Revrew 23 2. Jfbbis 23 5. Astott 19 6. Klayman (KIA) 18 6. Thomkal II 18 8. Shorty (KIA) 16 8. Achilles 16 10. Rich (KIA) 14 10. Danny Van Halen 14 10. Jeff Nights II 14

Waiting List
Code:
ID Name Base Status Rank LBrvOK? OptUp? 144. Rich II - In Transit Rookie Yes No 145. Zippy III - On Call Rookie Yes Yes 146. Gi - On Call Rookie Yes Yes 147. Tellistto - In Transit Rookie Yes Yes 148. CT Homer II - On Call Rookie Yes Yes 149. Rawisdan II - On Call Rookie Yes Yes 150. Gbk - In Transit Rookie Yes Yes 151. The Herd II - On Call Rookie Yes Yes 152. 3ric V - In Transit Rookie Yes Yes 153. Fonzie III - In Transit Rookie Yes Yes 154. Condors III - On Call Rookie Yes Yes 155. Dawgfan - In Transit Rookie Yes Yes 156. Travis V - In Transit Rookie Yes Yes 157. Kingfc II - In Transit Rookie Yes Yes 158. Tucker III - In Transit Rookie Yes Yes 159. Almighty II - On Call Rookie Yes Yes 160. The Time II - On Call Rookie Yes Yes 161. Jerk - In Transit Rookie Yes Yes

Last edited by Godzilla Blitz : 06-21-2004 at 10:10 PM.
Old 06-20-2004, 09:15 PM   #224
JeeberD
General Manager

Hmmm...77 in psi defense. Not bad, not bad at all. But is it high enough to get me to Mars?

Last edited by JeeberD : 06-20-2004 at 09:16 PM.
Old 06-20-2004, 09:17 PM   #225
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Just remember, if I get sent to Mars as PSI-Bait, I'm taking the first gun off the first dead guy I see!
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2004, 09:25 PM   #226
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Mars Strike Team Omega

Over the course of the next few days we'll be selecting the members of the 18-man force that will board the Avenger and attempt to destroy the alien command center on Mars. X-COM Command will choose the first eight men. We'll select two today, four tomorrow, and two on Tuesday.

Selecting the best 18 men from our 60-agent force is arguably the most crucial task of the war. The fate of the world rests on the strike team's shoulders. If we pick poorly, the battle for Mars could easily be a disaster.

In selecting the force, we are evaluating all of you on the following criteria (listed in no particular order of importance):

• Combat performance
• Combat abilities
• Rank
• PSI-defense
• Attitude and Team Spirit
• Participation
• Family History and Sacrifice
• Dedication

Without further ado, the first two selections for Strike Team Omega are:

1. Commander Kodos
This is an easy choice. Commander Kodos has an outstanding report card across all criteria. He has been with us since the beginning of the war. He has killed more aliens than any other agent. When--due to his extreme value to our cause--he was relegated to the safe back line on most missions, he accepted his role with grace and understanding. I am proud to have him lead our forces to Mars.

2. Captain Revrew
Revrew has been an active participant throughout the dynasty, has had perhaps our most consistent combat performance record, and has always risen to the occasion when things got ugly. I have no doubt that Revrew will do us proud on the mission to Mars.

Coming tomorrow morning...
Selections 3 & 4.
Old 06-20-2004, 09:27 PM   #227
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Darn, it wasn't me.

Congratulations, guys.
Old 06-20-2004, 09:49 PM   #228
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Update

December 2
A Sectoid scout UFO pops up on our USA COM radar early in the day. USA COM's Intercepter chases the craft to Europe, right into the waiting arms of Sachmo IV aboard the Firestorm. Ten minutes later the UFO is spewing smoke and heading for the fields of France, where it crashes and slides to a stop.

EU COM launches its Skyranger fifteen minutes later. They'll have to hurry, as the sun is setting on this part of the world. They'll strike at dusk.

On board:
Revrew, Japherwaki II, Real Deal III, Coffee Warlord II, Mike Vic, Vince, Wolfpack, Naiwf, Swaggs, Chuck U Farley
Old 06-20-2004, 10:11 PM   #229
JeffNights
College Prospect

With his fellow Captain Qwikshot II standing beside him, Captain Nights addresses the men of ASIA COM that stood in ranks before him.

"Men, I couldnt be prouder of what so far we have accomplished here. This base has seen its share of good times, and bad times. The bad which include disturbing news of countries siding with our enemy the Alien scum, and also, and far worse, those daring missions in which we have lost our fellow X-Com comrades.

Captain Nights takes a moment to pause and remember those souls who have made that sacrifice..

"But today, in thier honor as well as yours, we celebrate good times. Central X-Com command sent these by special courier along with a letter of thanks. And here i'm proud to present to each of you a "100th Mission pin-ASIA COM" pin. Which you will wear with your other badges. Congratulations Men"

Captain Nights goes up the line, pinning the medal to thier uniforms and saluting each man.

Last edited by JeffNights : 06-20-2004 at 10:12 PM.
JeffNights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2004, 10:15 PM   #230
Dawgfan1980
H.S. Freshman Team

I hope one day GB goes into writing novels, because this is some great stuff, that I would definatly downlo... I mean, buy from my local bookstore
Old 06-20-2004, 10:15 PM   #231
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Hey, GB. Where are we (the support staff) stationed? I keep forgetting.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2004, 11:42 PM   #232
RealDeal
High School Varsity

I love the smell of plasma in the morning.
RealDeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 01:28 AM   #233
SplitPersonality1
College Benchwarmer

PsD of 30 & PsS of 20.

Hmm. I think that kind of explained our...I mean my.....yes.....my erratic behavior.

SplitP-H: Think we fooled them?
SplitP-A: Not a chance.
SplitP-H: Damn. I really want to go to Mars.
SplitPersonality1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 01:49 AM   #234
MrBug708
Head Coach

I'm sitting this one out eh?

Well, someone has to entertain the wives
Old 06-21-2004, 06:30 AM   #235
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708
I'm sitting this one out eh?

Well, someone has to entertain the wives

Yes, with you running around naked they should be pointing and laughing all night
klayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 06:41 AM   #236
Thomkal
Head Coach

Woot a medal! Hmmm...I wonder how much I can get for it on Ebay?
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 08:21 AM   #237
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

I want to pilot the Avenger!
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 09:32 AM   #238
revrew
Team Chaplain

wOOt! Goin' to Mars! Thanks for the honor of being picked #2, GB. Now, about my signing bonus...
revrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 09:36 AM   #239
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Tune up before I go to Mars! Whoo!
Old 06-21-2004, 10:10 AM   #240
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

65 PsiD? Hey, I'm good for something. I won't crack, at least not without some effort.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 10:18 AM   #241
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Mars Strike Team Omega

The next two selections for Strike Team Omega are:

1. Commander Kodos
2. Captain Revrew
3. Colonel Jfbbis
Jfbbis is a survivor. Actually, he is the only survivor from our first mission, more than 100 missions ago. Although he started with mediocre skills, he has made the best of every opportunity and has developed into a fine agent. If he recovers from his coma before we launch, he'll be on the Avenger.

4. Colonel Wade Moore
Wade is our deadliest shot, has our second highest kill total, and has had moments of incredible bravery and heroism. A crafty, experienced veteran, we would be silly to go to Mars without him.

Coming this afternoon...
Selections 5 & 6.
Old 06-21-2004, 10:19 AM   #242
RealDeal
High School Varsity

RealDeal III has a good, but not great PsiD, but I've never cracked in a mission before. Unlike my father, who I don't like to talk about much.
Old 06-21-2004, 12:49 PM   #243
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

105th Mission: Sectoids Next Door

The EU COM Skyranger races for Germany and the large Sectoid scout that has crash-landed there. Outside, the sun sits low on the western horizon and throws long shadows across the fields below. We’ll need to hurry to avoid fighting in the dark. Inside, our men quickly work through last minute weapon checks.

We’ve got a new weapon on board today. Three of our agents are toting PSI Amps. In theory, these weapons should allow our troops to go on the offensive in PSI warfare: we can target enemies with the weapon and attempt to cause them to freeze, panic, or even fall under our control. How this actually works in combat is anyone’s guess.

Captain Revrew will command our troops today.

The green light goes on and the craft begins to drop to the German countryside.

Left Side:
1. Revrew (Heavy Plasma & PSI Amp, Flying Suit)
2. Japherwaki II (Heavy Plasma, Flying Suit)
3. Real Deal III (Heavy Plasma, Flying Suit)
4. Coffee Warlord II (Heavy Plasma, Flying Suit)
5. Mike Vic (Heavy Plasma, Flying Suit)

Right Side:
1. Vince (Heavy Plasma, Flying Suit)
2. Wolfpack (Blaster Launcher & PSI Amp, Flying Suit)
3. Naiwf (Heavy Plasma, Flying Suit)
4. Swaggs (PSI Amp & Heavy Plasma, Flying Suit)
5. Chuck U Farley (Heavy Plasma, Flying Suit)

As the Skyranger falls, the men scan the battlefield. We can see the usual far of farms and fields, but we also can make out the large, cross-shaped UFO sitting to the right of where our exit will end up. The UFO should be in line with the nose of our craft, about 20 meters away. The door on the craft should be on the far side, but still, we should encounter the enemy quickly on this mission. Closer to our exit, on the same side, we can see a collection of small wooden shacks. There are no other distinguishing features of the battlefield that we can make out yet. The area in front of our exit should be secure ground.

The Skyranger hits the ground. The ramp falls away and thuds onto the cold, hard German soil. Silence. A quiet landing.

Our tank drifts out of the Skyranger bay, spins around, and spots a Floater (huh? I thought they were Sectoids?) running away in the field to the left of our exit, about 20 meters away. Revrew bolts out of the Skyranger, swings around the rear of the craft, drops to the ground, and opens fire on the fleeing enemy. His first shot opens up the creature’s back with a splash of purple. It wails and falls to the ground. X-COM 1, Aliens 0.

As our tank goes up over the battlefield to scan for enemies, we move our men out. It quickly becomes apparent that there was only the one alien near our Skyranger, and things fall quiet for the next few minutes. Our Hovertank continues to sweep the battlefield. We deploy in force, and close in on the UFO. Japherwaki II and Revrew sweep through the area to the left of our Skyranger exit. Real Deal III and Mike Vic head out of the Skyranger, move toward the UFO, and quickly reach the side of the UFO. Naiwf and Vince exit as well, and move toward the shacks sitting just to the left of the UFO. They’ll search those buildings then sweep around and close in on the UFO door. Wolfpack exits and sets up a firing position with the Blaster Launcher. Swaggs exits, goes up high, and gets ready with the PSI amp. Once Naiwf and Vince have moved away from the exit area, Coffee Warlord II and Chuck U Farley move out and toward the left corner of the UFO.

After a few minutes, our Hovertank and agents have cleared the battlefield. Anything left has to be inside the UFO. There are no holes in the roof, so we’ll do this the hard way. We bring all our forces to bear on the UFO. Wolfpack will blow a hole in the closer side of the UFO. Real Deal and Coffee will lead the charge in through the hole. Chuck and Mike will follow. At the UFO door, we assemble Japherwaki, Vince, and Naiwf to bust in, seconds after Real leads us in the other side. Swaggs will back up the operation with the PSI Amp. Revrew will be held in reserve.

We get ready, and Wolfpack starts us off. He pulls the trigger on the Blaster Launcher and sends a missile into the near side of the UFO. It tears a three-foot hole in the craft, and spews a ball of fire back into the nearby field. An instant after it hits, we hear wailing aliens inside the UFO! Wolfpack got one!

Real Deal gets up and leads the charge to the hole. He gets halfway there when he notices that his threat sensor has faded to green: battle over! Wolfpack got the remaining enemies with his blaster shot! Mission over!

Kills: Wolfpack 3, Revrew 1.
KIA: None.
Wounded: None .
Attribute Improvements: Wolfpack, Revrew.
Final score: 108.
Mission Notes:
Wolfpack took out three aliens with his blaster shot to the UFO. Usually that shot doesn’t get us any. Nice hat trick, but it would have been nice to spread the experience out more.

Man, I thought we’d get more people more experience on that mission. These short missions are catching me off guards.
Old 06-21-2004, 12:58 PM   #244
Kodos
Resident Alien

RealDeal: I believe I am the one who had to kill your father when he went over to the other side. In fact, I may be the leading killer of cracked soldiers, as I remember having to eliminate one of them at least twice. War can be such an ugly thing...

------

I am proud to be amongst those who will be charged with defending my newly adopted home planet. These bastards came to Rigel IV before they came here, and unfortunately, our resistance failed in the end. I do not intend to let the Earth suffer the same fate.

I will now give the candidates for the Commander's Choice selection a chance to plead their case. Let me know why I should select you! Oh, and ardent... I wouldn't bother in your case.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 01:05 PM   #245
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Long have I watched your rear tentacles, sir. I've taken men deep within enemy strongholds, and come out alive. I've felt the touch of alien psionics, and have not defected. Sectoids fear me.

And of course, a trip to Mars is what is truly necessary to avenge my father! I will go to the aliens, and say. Hello. My name is Coffee Warlord II. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
Old 06-21-2004, 01:07 PM   #246
RealDeal
High School Varsity

My father deserved to die, Kodos. I hold no grudge against you. My grandfather, however, was brutally murdered by Kerlinni and justice has never been served.
Old 06-21-2004, 01:14 PM   #247
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord
Long have I watched your rear tentacles, sir.

I've got to admit. This first sentence creeped me out a bit...
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 01:17 PM   #248
JeeberD
General Manager

I've never cracked under Psi attacks, Kodos. I have a pretty nice kills per mission ratio as well. Plus I have one of the best damn throwing arms out there. Who do you want to be throwing grenades on Mars, a real pitcher like me or some belly itcher? I think the answer is clear...

Old 06-21-2004, 01:19 PM   #249
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos
I've got to admit. This first sentence creeped me out a bit...

As it did me when I first typed it. I decided to leave it in just for that effect.

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 06-21-2004 at 01:19 PM.
Old 06-21-2004, 01:20 PM   #250
jerk3616
n00b

I wanna go to Mars because I heard there were hot chicks there. Or maybe it was that there is extreme danger with little chance of returning home...in that case, I'm going to sign up for all the credit cards I can, max them out buying crack and hookers, and make sure I'm good and numb if I go to Mars. That way, if you don't pick me, I'll be chin deep in crack and hookers, and won't give two poos about whether I go. So I guess either way, I win.

Unless there really are hot chicks on Mars, and I'd have to stay on Earth. That would suck; no getting around that. So pick me!
jerk3616 is offline   Reply With Quote