Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-14-2006, 06:52 PM   #201
yabanci
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
Reading comprehension time: The first three words of that quote were "NPR is good."

So, I don't know what you're trying to put into my mouth, but you obviously don't understand my point at all.

you are like a bad comedy skit.

Subby: I don't understand the right's preoccupation with NPR.

Cronin: NPR is good, but there is some outrageous stuff on there, such as Democracy Now.

yabanci: Democracy Now is not an NPR program.

Cronin: I was just trying to explain why there wasn't a market for Air America.

yabanci: Mmmkay.

Cronin: your reading comprehension is bad, you don't understand me at all.
yabanci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 07:01 PM   #202
st.cronin
General Manager

Ok, let me say it as clearly as possible: I like NPR, I listen to it all the time. There is stuff on there that appeals to liberals. I am staying on topic, which is why Air America failed. I do not pretend to speak for conservatives. I don't have any idea why you're trying to pick a fight with me.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 05:07 AM   #203
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by yabanci View Post
yabanci: Democracy Now is not an NPR program.

Holy crap, I think you just saved my opinion of Quiksand with that remark.

In my "streaming radio" thread, I asked for suggestions and Quiksand put up a link and challenged me that it wasn't "my cup of tea". So I checked it out and the first link I clicked on was "Democracy Now". My first thought was that it was absolute rubbish. My second thought was...Quiksand listens to this crap?

To be fair, there are lots of links on the site he provided and "Democracy Now" just stood out. Maybe I'll try some other links if I ever go back.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 10:16 AM   #204
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
HB, if that's your assessment of the current administration, then you're really so out of touch with both reality & morality that there's not much else for me to do but ... Yawn.

Oh really?

Here's a list and this is just from the first four years...

http://dir.salon.com/story/news/feat...x_np.html?pn=1

This doesn't touch on this Foley non-sense, the latest Abramhoff stuff that's just come to light, the shit still piling up in Iraq, the latest intel reports claiming the Iraq war has made the world an even more dangerous place (and that there was no link at all between Sadam and Al queada), etc, etc, etc.

The list goes on and on and on and on and on... And we've still got two more years of these jack asses.

This is reality. This is what happening. Just sitting back and claiming they're the "moral majority" because they are pro-life and hate gay people does not make them moral. They are lying, immoral scum bags of the lowest order.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 03:47 PM   #205
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Oh really?

This doesn't touch on this Foley non-sense, the latest Abramhoff stuff that's just come to light, the shit still piling up in Iraq, the latest intel reports claiming the Iraq war has made the world an even more dangerous place (and that there was no link at all between Sadam and Al queada), etc, etc, etc.

The list goes on and on and on and on and on... And we've still got two more years of these jack asses.

This is reality. This is what happening. Just sitting back and claiming they're the "moral majority" because they are pro-life and hate gay people does not make them moral. They are lying, immoral scum bags of the lowest order.
H_B, you're attempting to argue with someone for whom the sky is not the same color as it is for you and I.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 09:24 AM   #206
John Galt
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
OK, then have you ever listened to Rush or read Socrates (Plato)? Seriously, I think half the time Rush is a big windbag, but he is far better than just about everyone else at what he does. Personally, I don't listen to him because of his political views, but because he is pretty entertaining.

Any one can take anyone out of context. As to the items you posted, I heard the feminazi comment and blacks on air, and it was delivered pretty deadpan, but you know what, the first part of it is pretty close to being spot on because that is what the common definition of a feminazi, hell I've been using that term since high school in the early 90s. The last part of the feminazi comment is opinion. That is plain to see.

The fact about the number of blacks in the general population is true (or was at one point, not sure about when that comment was made or what the last census figures show. Anyhow, the point he was trying to make is that in most other areas, you never hear about what 12% of anything really want. Additionally, Latinos who make up a larger portion of the population now, you don't hear much about. Why is that? That was part of the conversation there.

What I don't get is how you basically laugh at the fact that Rush uses Socatratic debating skills. That means exactly what I mean. He asks leading questions that you have to agree with to get you to agree to his point of view. That is good debating. That is what most lawyers do in a trial. So what is wrong with a known political talk show host doing it.

My point was that at least Rush engages in this. You never got that from any of the shows I listened to on Air America. I take that back, there was a local guy in Memphis that did this, but his show didn't last that long. At least there is reason to his rhetoric.

Hell look at Hannity, he'll get some one of the opposing viewpoint, regardless of whether the guy is liberal or not, and then labels then as a lib. Most of the left's vitriol and portrayl of Rush's audience should actually be directed at him.

As far as fair guys on the air, my vote goes to Beck, but as I said before, he is a little nuts. But, if you want people to talk about different sides of an issue he is the best on the air today.

I have read quite a bit of Plato in my time and listened to a lot of Rush (probably a couple hundred hours which is lot more than the zero hours I ever listened to Air America). However, in my readings of Plato, I never remember Socrates calling Thrasymachus a "feminazi" or a "dittohead." Maybe I just missed those particular dialogues.
Old 10-16-2006, 09:32 AM   #207
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
I have read quite a bit of Plato in my time and listened to a lot of Rush (probably a couple hundred hours which is lot more than the zero hours I ever listened to Air America). However, in my readings of Plato, I never remember Socrates calling Thrasymachus a "feminazi" or a "dittohead." Maybe I just missed those particular dialogues.

You probably got a bad translation.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 09:38 AM   #208
John Galt
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
You probably got a bad translation.

Old 10-16-2006, 09:40 AM   #209
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Oh really?

Ditto! (sorry, had to ; though I agree 100%)

On the topic of Limbaugh and the other guys, I hold Limbaugh to a higher standard than say Hannity or Beck or those rabble rousers. Not saying that he cares about objective facts or anything, but he definately isn't as bad. Perhaps it is because he basically acknowledges that he wants his show to be entertainment and wants to be funny... on the contrast, someone like Hannity doesn't want to engage in humor, just mean spiritedness.

O'Reilly is interesting. He's horrible when debating people, putting all sorts of things in their mouths and shouting them down. Sometimes he'll play the moderate on some issues and on others, he's a Hannity clone. It's like a dual personality.
Old 10-16-2006, 09:49 AM   #210
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Ditto! (sorry, had to ; though I agree 100%)

On the topic of Limbaugh and the other guys, I hold Limbaugh to a higher standard than say Hannity or Beck or those rabble rousers. Not saying that he cares about objective facts or anything, but he definately isn't as bad. Perhaps it is because he basically acknowledges that he wants his show to be entertainment and wants to be funny... on the contrast, someone like Hannity doesn't want to engage in humor, just mean spiritedness.

O'Reilly is interesting. He's horrible when debating people, putting all sorts of things in their mouths and shouting them down. Sometimes he'll play the moderate on some issues and on others, he's a Hannity clone. It's like a dual personality.

I can't stand O'Reilly for excatly the reason you point out. The guy that I used to really like was Tony Snow. His show was great and he wasn't a mouthpiece for anything. Then he joined the administration...
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 10:39 PM   #211
Craptacular
College Starter

They took out a perfectly fine music station to put AA on the FM side of the dial here. I will not shed a tear if they go away. Keep the talk on AM.
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 04:21 PM   #212
Craptacular
College Starter

Well alright!

hxxp://www.madison.com/tct/news/stories/index.php?ntid=106922

The local Air America affiliate is switching to Fox Sports Radio. I still think talk radio should be on the AM dial, but sports is at least usually better than political trash.
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 04:23 PM   #213
SFL Cat
College Starter

Now that the Dems are back in power, maybe they'll send a big wad of cash to AA to rescue it from bankruptcy.
SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 04:25 PM   #214
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFL Cat View Post
maybe they'll send a big wad of government cash to AA to rescue it from bankruptcy.

Fixed that for you

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 11-10-2006 at 04:25 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 04:46 PM   #215
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

They could always use the money the Republicans were paying to journalists and columnists.
Old 01-21-2010, 07:57 PM   #216
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Air America shut down abruptly today and will be liquidated under Chapter 7 bankruptcy after 10 consecutive losing quarters under new ownership & failing to find new investors this week.

Air America Radio closing, filing for bankruptcy *| accessAtlanta
Old 01-21-2010, 09:00 PM   #217
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I had no idea it was still alive.
Old 01-21-2010, 10:19 PM   #218
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
I had no idea it was still alive.

I'm gonna guess you weren't the only one by this news.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 10:48 PM   #219
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Well I think the answer to the title question is clear.
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 09:37 AM   #220
Passacaglia
Coordinator

No bailout?
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 09:39 AM   #221
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I'm a liberal, and the idea of listening to left-wing radio never appealed to me at all. Don't really know why.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 12:41 PM   #222
JediKooter
Coordinator

Is Mel Gibson and Robert Downy Jr in it?

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 01:43 PM   #223
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
I'm a liberal, and the idea of listening to left-wing radio never appealed to me at all. Don't really know why.

Because you're too busy having a life.

Working in talk radio has shown me one thing: That there are a lot of really stupid people out there listening to their radios every day, doing nothing but calling in & repeating what the host says (that he reads directly off websites & keeps repeating.) It's all a bunch of crap.

I consider myself a moderate and can't stand political talk radio. I couldn't listen to it for more than a couple minutes if I wasn't stuck working on a show.

Last edited by M GO BLUE!!! : 01-22-2010 at 01:50 PM.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 03:10 PM   #224
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by M GO BLUE!!! View Post
Because you're too busy having a life.

Working in talk radio has shown me one thing: That there are a lot of really stupid people out there listening to their radios every day, doing nothing but calling in & repeating what the host says (that he reads directly off websites & keeps repeating.) It's all a bunch of crap.

I consider myself a moderate and can't stand political talk radio. I couldn't listen to it for more than a couple minutes if I wasn't stuck working on a show.

that would explain the audience base for the 2 most popular political talk radio hosts hmm?
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 03:33 PM   #225
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

I never worked FOR Air America, but I worked AT Air America (for a now defunct company that shared office space.) I will say that they had the best workplace environment I have ever encountered. They were even pet friendly!
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote