Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Closed Thread

Old 01-26-2004, 10:43 PM   #201
Wasabiak
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs
We're flying now.

Well, as always, the guy with the last pick in round one winds up missing out on the sure things, but does get a couple of decent picks to build the team around. With so much time before my next pick, now is not the time to fool around. It's like they say, you can't win your league in the first round, but you can lose it.

Time to go with a couple of franchise players, so to speak, who have sold a ton.

With pick 1.12 - Crash Bandicoot.
With pick 2.1 - Lara Croft.

Would have liked to have gone more old school but there's time for that later.

I TOLD you she would be the S.O.D.!!! I am DEFINITELY a Maple Leaf fan now!!! Great picks!
Old 01-26-2004, 11:27 PM   #202
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Tzu
Ramzavail, I have two words for you my friend.

Waffle. Iron.

I'm... confused.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Old 01-26-2004, 11:48 PM   #203
mckerney
Coordinator

2 Thoughts:

1. How did Dean Houston fall out of round one?

2. Whoever gets Player Two Pong Paddle will get a steal.
Old 01-26-2004, 11:50 PM   #204
JeeberD
General Manager

SHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Don't anger Ramzavail...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
Old 01-27-2004, 12:01 AM   #205
Vince
Pro Starter

Great pick with Little Mac...I was really hoping he'd drop to me. Oh well...
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Old 01-27-2004, 12:58 AM   #206
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

hey i was rootin for dean houston early in the first. but you know what.

no one listens.
Old 01-27-2004, 01:42 AM   #207
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Maybe for the last pick, ie Mr Irrelevant...
Old 01-27-2004, 02:09 AM   #208
Danny
Head Coach

And now is the steal of the draft. Many believe this little guy is the only star of the best arcade game and one of the 10 best games ever. He is fast, strong and blasts away enemies with ease. I am pleased to select.

The Arrow from Asteroids
Old 01-27-2004, 02:18 AM   #209
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

the blocks from tetris. oh oh which one to choose. so many of them.
Old 01-27-2004, 02:23 AM   #210
Danny
Head Coach

I agree, can you people who are not in the draft please stop putting down your picks. It ruins picks for people who are actually in the draft. Feel free to comment on picks made, but please try and refrain from shouting who you would pick.
Old 01-27-2004, 02:27 AM   #211
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleEye11
I agree, can you people who are not in the draft please stop putting down your picks. It ruins picks for people who are actually in the draft. Feel free to comment on picks made, but please try and refrain from shouting who you would pick.

What's a draft without a little prognostication? Surely you've viewed a mock draft before...
Old 01-27-2004, 02:34 AM   #212
Danny
Head Coach

What's a mock draft? Seriously, I was just upset about someone giving away my next pick .
Old 01-27-2004, 03:23 AM   #213
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

i was just kidding about dean houston and the the tetris blocks. but I'll shut up
Old 01-27-2004, 03:45 AM   #214
Danny
Head Coach

I was just mseeing around mostly. I was thinking to myself right before I read your post, I wonder if the straight bar from tetris will last to my next pick. Though, I do think for the most part, people shouldnt be shouting out too many names. I know I've avoided doing that in the all time football draft.
Old 01-27-2004, 05:32 AM   #215
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Yeah, I like the way SI is recapping the rounds, but everybody calling out names is making this feeble-minded individual a wee-bit confuzzled, especially this early in the morning.
Old 01-27-2004, 07:56 AM   #216
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Old school team is saddened that the Arrow from Asteroids did not last until the 4th or 5th round
Old 01-27-2004, 08:19 AM   #217
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
And now is the steal of the draft. Many believe this little guy is the only star of the best arcade game and one of the 10 best games ever. He is fast, strong and blasts away enemies with ease. I am pleased to select.

The Arrow from Asteroids

It's a copycat league.
Old 01-27-2004, 08:21 AM   #218
corbes
College Benchwarmer

Wow...Frogger is a great pick. I forgot about that little guy...
Old 01-27-2004, 08:27 AM   #219
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

In general, I don't mind people mentioning a well-known guy who's obviously going to go soon.

That said, I think some people now are just throwing any names they can think of out there, so they can look back at the draft and say "see, I suggested him. Him too. Oh my I'm ever so clever, etc."

But there's nothing much we can do. It's all in good fun.

Anyways, TargetPractice isn't around until 4:00, but was kind enough to send a pick along last night (unlike the rest of you bums).

So... with his second pick, TP selects:
Ryu, from Street Fighter
Old 01-27-2004, 08:42 AM   #220
ice4277
Pro Rookie

I will have my pick up shortly. I'm mulling it over.
Old 01-27-2004, 08:54 AM   #221
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Well, with my second pick, I had a bit of a dilemma. There are plenty of characters left who are very memorable. But, how many of them have truly helped make a difference in gaming history? When it comes right down to it, I had to select the character who helped define one of the most popular genres of the last decade. With my second pick, I choose:

Space Marine (Doom)

He may not have been the most memorable FPS individual of all time, but there is little to doubt his legacy. He was the star of the game that put the first-person shooter into the spotlight, and was the model for countless FPS heroes thereafter. And who could ever forget watching his face contort in pain as he took damage?
Old 01-27-2004, 09:02 AM   #222
corbes
College Benchwarmer

With our second pick in the draft, I choose:

Leisure Suit Larry

who will be named Vice President of Smooth Operations.

Larry is perhaps best known for bringing animated breasts to the eyes of all 13 year olds who were able to answer the 5 question quiz at the beginning of the program. Or had older brothers to do it for them.
Old 01-27-2004, 09:06 AM   #223
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Nice picks all around.

I really like TP's pick of Ryu. I seriously thought about packaging Ryu and Ken with my bookend picks at the end of round one, but it just seemed a little too early.

I like the Doom pick as well. Larry is a good pick, although you wonder how the guy from King's Quest will feel about the apparent snub.
Old 01-27-2004, 09:17 AM   #224
Calis
College Starter

I like the Ryu pick as well, as I almost took him. My problem was trying to decide between him and Ken. He was the main guy, but it seems like almost everyone likes Ken more, so it was a tough call.

Space Marine from Doom is another one I pondered on. Great pick.

Leisure Suit Larry is maybe a bit early, but by no means a bad pick. Wouldn't of been the first adventure game character I picked, but I'll keep that quiet for now.

As for the guy from King's Quest being snubbed..he's actually a different guy in each game, so that kills his longevity a bit.
Old 01-27-2004, 09:37 AM   #225
Ramzavail
College Starter

Being a Huge RPG fan all my life, it is impossible for me to go any further without choosing the most popular RPG figure in video game history.

Cloud Strife - Final Fantasy VII

The hair, the sword, the Omnislash, and the determination for the safety of the planet's future makes this character a huge addition to the team.
Old 01-27-2004, 09:42 AM   #226
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

I give you the ultimate fighter:

Shang Tsung (Mortal Kombat series)..

I mean, he was as cool as every other fighter in the Mortal Kombat series (I and II atleast..) because he could become any other fighter. For the true MK master, this was a munchkins dream come true.

Especially when he exorted Kombatants to "FINISH HIM/HER!" when it came time to dispose of a losing opponent. Led to a whole series of violent games

Last edited by SirFozzie : 01-27-2004 at 09:43 AM.
Old 01-27-2004, 10:15 AM   #227
ice4277
Pro Rookie

I was thinking about using my second pick on a Mortal Kombat character. Good call.
Old 01-27-2004, 10:19 AM   #228
Danny
Head Coach

Solid pick, but certainly not my top choice for Mortal Combat Characters.
Old 01-27-2004, 10:38 AM   #229
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie
I mean, he was as cool as every other fighter in the Mortal Kombat series
Scorpion and Sub-Zero beg to differ.
Old 01-27-2004, 10:39 AM   #230
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

2nd round.
Roger Wilco - Space Quest (Series)

One of the funniest and most well-traveled characters of all time. The series was absolutely top-notch, and I couldn't get enough of these games. He brings some much needed comedic relief and sheer dumb-luck to our squad.
Old 01-27-2004, 10:41 AM   #231
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Albion's list shrinking . . .shrinking . . .shrinking . . .shrinking
Old 01-27-2004, 10:43 AM   #232
corbes
College Benchwarmer

Damn you, cthomer.

I had Roger pegged for my next pick. It was a tossup whether or not to take him before Larry.

Getting Roger drunk in the bar in Ulence Flats is one of the great scenes in gaming history. Also, Space ZZ Top played at that bar, and they rocked.
Old 01-27-2004, 10:43 AM   #233
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight
Albion's list shrinking . . .shrinking . . .shrinking . . .shrinking

I'm just getting started, baby. I've got all kinds of late-round surprises up my sleeve.
Old 01-27-2004, 11:55 AM   #234
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
I was just mseeing around mostly. I was thinking to myself right before I read your post, I wonder if the straight bar from tetris will last to my next pick. Though, I do think for the most part, people shouldnt be shouting out too many names. I know I've avoided doing that in the all time football draft.

Same, although I was thinking the "L" bar. It kind of takes away from it when someone shouts out what you were hoping to be a suprise pick. I haven't seen any speculation in the Football thread, just post-pick stuff.
Old 01-27-2004, 11:57 AM   #235
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

(Sheepishly): I was going to take the straight line from Tetris.

Still might, in fact.

Last edited by Maple Leafs : 01-27-2004 at 11:58 AM.
Old 01-27-2004, 11:57 AM   #236
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbes
With our second pick in the draft, I choose:

Leisure Suit Larry

who will be named Vice President of Smooth Operations.

Larry is perhaps best known for bringing animated breasts to the eyes of all 13 year olds who were able to answer the 5 question quiz at the beginning of the program. Or had older brothers to do it for them.

Damnit, my draft is evaporating before my eyes. First Frogger, now this?
Old 01-27-2004, 12:07 PM   #237
Vince
Pro Starter

Damn, that means I'm up, huh? Grrrr...Ryu was my next pick after Little Mac went. Give me a minute or three...
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Old 01-27-2004, 12:33 PM   #238
Vince
Pro Starter

Ok...one of these was a no-brainer, in my opinion. One of the greatest games of all-time, and a great character to boot. He had a whip, holy water, axes...and he was fighting against Dracula, one of the coolest villains ever as well. Pick #24 is...

Simon Belmont (Castlevania)

This second pick is the tough one. There really isn't anyone that stands out to me. I can justify probably 5 different characters right here, and it's tough for me to try to let someone slide...because there's 22 picks between now and my next one. After much deliberation...pick #25 is...

Master Chief (Halo)

I really didn't know what to do with this pick, and since Halo is the most popular game for the X-Box, I figured I'd take a stab at their leading man. I'm not really happy with the second pick, but the rest of my candidates are far enough under the radar that I think they can last until my next pick.

Last edited by Vince : 01-27-2004 at 12:33 PM. Reason: To make it look pretty
Old 01-27-2004, 12:56 PM   #239
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

3rd round -

Luigi

Potentially the most underrated character in video game history. He can do everything Mario can, except he's better looking and in better shape. How can a virutual clone of the #1 pick not be a steal in round 3? Luigi has also broken out on his own a bit, finally landing a solo game on GameCube with Luigi's Mansion.

His time has come.
Old 01-27-2004, 12:57 PM   #240
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Bravo
Old 01-27-2004, 12:59 PM   #241
Calis
College Starter

Excellent choice with Simon Belmont, he was very close to becoming my first round pick, I underestimated how far he would slide though it seems.

Halo choice is up in the air, I actually had no idea what the guy's name was, so that doesn't bode well for it. It is however the hallmark of the X-Box, so not a bad pick.

Edit: Missed the Luigi pick the first go round. Definitely a HUGE steal in the 3rd round. Always liked him more than Mario anyway, figured he would go sooner.

Last edited by Calis : 01-27-2004 at 01:04 PM.
Old 01-27-2004, 01:03 PM   #242
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

It will be interesting to see when the bad guys will start getting drafted. In many games the main characters "arch nemesis" was half the reason (sometimes more) that the game did so good. What's a hero without an arch nemesis who seems almost unbeatable?
Old 01-27-2004, 01:05 PM   #243
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Luigi is an interesting pick, potentially opening the floodgates on the characters who are derivative of guy's already taken. Ken from Streetfighter and Player Two from Pong look on with anticipation...
Old 01-27-2004, 01:19 PM   #244
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Just as Mario was the almost unquestioned #1 pick, I think that Luigi is the almost unquestioned first derivative pick. Just shows how deep the Mario Bros. roots go.
Old 01-27-2004, 01:37 PM   #245
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

With my third pick, the Fozze Bears select the King of the Koopas himself..

KING BOWSER!
Old 01-27-2004, 01:39 PM   #246
Ramzavail
College Starter

Good picks with Luigi and Simon Belmont - The only problem with Simon was that he wasn't in all the games, only in the first few, and he wasn't in - the best game of the series (IMO) Symphony of the Night.

I was so going to take Luigi at my pick in this round. Good pick.
Old 01-27-2004, 01:45 PM   #247
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

And Bowser has to be the first bad guy chosen (though not by me, unfortunately).
Old 01-27-2004, 02:03 PM   #248
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight
And Bowser has to be the first bad guy chosen (though not by me, unfortunately).

so you wouldn't consider a woman-kidnapping, barrel-tossing gorilla a bad guy?
Old 01-27-2004, 02:05 PM   #249
rkmsuf
Head Coach

What round do you think the guy from Custer's Revenge get's drafted in?
Old 01-27-2004, 02:07 PM   #250
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I suppose I could argue that Donkey Kong is not bad. . .just misunderstood. Or I could admit that I missed him completely. :o
Closed Thread