Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-17-2003, 12:34 PM   #201
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

How's everyone liking the ride so far? It's been an interesting project to say the least. Two brackets have the top four seeds advancing, a third had three.

The West, of course, has been the surprise as 2, 3, and 4 all fell in the Round of 32, pretty much guaranteeing USC's path to the Final Four, especially with home field advantage during the regionals.

The other regions are chock-a-block with good teams meaning any of the other twelve teams are possibilities for the Final Four.

Ohio State hasn't looked very impressive offensively thus far and faces a tough pairing with ND, which is similarly defensive-minded and offensively inept. Survive that and a potential matchup with K-State, which has home field advantage in Lincoln, awaits.

Miami has the home field advantage in its regional but has a murderer's row of top flight programs to face, starting with Penn State. Beat them and it's either Michigan or Oklahoma in the regional final.

The East regional is the hardest to predict as all four finalists are solid candidates capable of beating one another. Whoever survives this regional is likely the dark horse going to South Bend, since none will likely have the cache of the other three teams that reach the Final Four, assuming USC does claim the West as expected.

TV schedule and lines to be announced momentarily.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 12:37 PM   #202
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Schedule and Lines--Sweet Sixteen

Code:
12:00 PM EAST (4) NC State vs (1) Georgia UGA - 5 o/u 45 SE (3) Michigan vs (2) Oklahoma OK -13.5 o/u 53.5 MW (3) Alabama vs (2) Kansas State KSU -14.5 o/u 48.5 3:30 PM WEST (7) Boston College vs (6) Texas Tech TTU - 4.5 o/u 68.5 7:00 PM EAST (6) Virginia vs (2) Iowa IA - 4 o/u 58 SE (4) Penn State vs (1) Miami MIA - 5.5 o/u 59.5 MW (4) Notre Dame vs (1) Ohio State OSU -11 o/u 31 10:30 PM WEST (5) Boise State vs (1) Southern California USC -28.5 o/u 68.5

For this round, I'll do at least two games, the first two anyone suggests. The other two slots are purely optional. If people want to see a third or fourth game, they're more than welcome to make the suggestion to do so.
Old 07-17-2003, 02:27 PM   #203
Butter
Coordinator

ND and OSU!
Old 07-17-2003, 03:14 PM   #204
NAIWF
College Prospect

Michigan/Oklahoma for the other game
NAIWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 03:18 PM   #205
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Okay, we have the two required games. Michigan/Oklahoma at 12:00, ND/OSU at 7:00. I'll leave it open for consideration whether anyone wants to pick up one or both West regional games until around 7 or 8 tonight. If neither is picked up, we'll do just these two for this round.

Next consideration for everyone's input, BTW, will be whether I do detailed reports of each of the regional finals or do two of them and quick-play the other two.

Obviously, in the Final Four, all games will get the detailed treatment.
Old 07-17-2003, 05:18 PM   #206
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Woo! Boise St! (I'm not requesting the game since it sounds like a blowout but more an utterance of congratulations)

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 07-17-2003 at 05:19 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2003, 01:33 AM   #207
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally posted by sterlingice
Woo! Boise St! (I'm not requesting the game since it sounds like a blowout but more an utterance of congratulations)

SI

Well I am!

Let's see BSU take out USC!!!

Grrr....if Tech makes it any further...

Damn Horns and Rams. Guess I gotta stop rooting for teams with hard appendages sticking out of their skulls...

Oh, and I guess I'll go with OU as my second team now...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2003, 08:55 AM   #208
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Though I did say 7 or 8, I was too lazy to call the time last night. Therefore, I'll do the BSU-USC game as well. So, we have three games on the docket for this week's viewers:

(3) Michigan vs (2) Oklahoma at 12:00 PM
(4) Notre Dame vs (1) Ohio State at 7:00 PM
(5) Boise State vs (1) Southern California at 10:30 PM (only Jeeber may be awake for this one... )

I'll probably have this round done tonight or tomorrow depending on what plans my wife and I have for the weekend. Heck, with luck, this whole tournament should be finished out by the end of next week.
Old 07-18-2003, 10:32 AM   #209
tucker342
Pro Starter

Go Iowa
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2003, 02:00 PM   #210
JeeberD
General Manager

Thanks Wolfpack. I was at work all day yesterday and chimed in first chance that I got...

Old 07-18-2003, 03:07 PM   #211
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

No problem, Jeeber. Besides, it's your shellacking, we're all just witnesses to it now.
Old 07-21-2003, 08:52 PM   #212
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Another Saturday has arrived and the usual suspects have congregated once again around the television. Jeeber has arrived decked out in a Boise State t-shirt, Oklahoma hat, and Boston College sweatpants this time. Others can only shake their heads in wonder. At any rate, NAIWF seizes the remote and flips on the television, which reveals a half-full stadium populated by maroon and white wearing fans on one side and maize and blue wearing ones on the other. The graphic appears, announcing that this is the Southeast regional semi-final between #2 Oklahoma and #3 Michigan at the Orange Bowl in Miami, Florida.

Michigan has won the toss and defers, so Oklahoma will receive to start.

15:00 1st, game tied 0-0
Oklahoma's first drive is short. Really short. One-play short. The QB drops back to pass, goes for the home run ball, and is intercepted downfield just into Michigan territory.

14:49 1st, game tied 0-0
Michigan works their way down deep into Oklahoma territory, but the Sooners make a goal line stand. Seeing this as a freebie possession, the Wolverines go for it on fourth down. However, the Sooner D is up to the task and stack the running back at the line, holding him out and giving the ball back to Oklahoma.

11:39 1st, game tied 0-0
A great first down run gets the Sooners out of the shadow of their goalposts. On second down, the QB again goes for it all, but this time, his receiver wins the jump ball and is able to outrun the out-of-position safety to the end zone. Extra point is good.

10:34 1st, OK leads 7-0
The Wolverines work for a first down, but a penalty costs them a shot at a second and they are forced to punt.

6:52 1st, OK leads 7-0
The Sooners offense is on a roll as they move through the Wolverine defense with ease, capping the drive with a nice touchdown run from 12 yards out. Tack on the extra point.

3:22 1st, OK leads 14-0
Michigan's offense finally comes around and is making a strong push into Sooner territory as the quarter comes to an end.

End of the 1st Quarter
Oklahoma 14, Michigan 0
Old 07-21-2003, 08:54 PM   #213
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Scoreboard Update

East Region
(4) NC State 10, (1) Georgia 7
Wolfpack get early lead in Hartford

Midwest Region
(2) Kansas State 14, (3) Alabama 0
Wildcats all over the Tide at the start
Old 07-21-2003, 09:02 PM   #214
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Quarter number two in Miami....

15:00 2nd, OK leads 14-0
The Wolverines maintain their good play, working through the OU defense before finally powering in on a running play from two yards out to get on the scoreboard. XP is good.

13:06 2nd, OK leads 14-7
The Sooners offense seems to have cooled a bit as they struggle for a first down before ultimately having to punt.

10:31 2nd, OK leads 14-7
However, the Wolverines are unable to capitalize on the opportunity presented and ultimately punt away themselves.

7:09 2nd, OK leads 14-7
The return of the punt is a spectacular effort and only a hustling punter knocks the return man out of bounds. However, the Sooner offense continues to sputter and ultimately a field goal attempt is made. The snap is somewhat mishandled, but it is enough to disrupt the kicker's rhythm and he pulls his kick, missing the field goal attempt.

5:26 2nd, OK leads 14-7
The Wolverines mount a rather pedestrian drive from deep in their own end that consumes the remainder of the half. They muster enough to pick up the first down just about every time, but advancing 4 yards at a time will not get them into field goal range by halftime, so a Hail Mary is attempted from the OU 45 which is safely batted down to end the half.

End of the 2nd Quarter
Oklahoma 14, Michigan 7
Old 07-21-2003, 09:05 PM   #215
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Scoreboard Update

East Region
(4) NC State 24, (1) Georgia 7
Everything goes right for Wolfpack in the second and suddenly a one seed is on the ropes

Midwest Region
(2) Kansas State 24, (3) Alabama 7
The Tide get on the board, but the Wildcats answer with 10 of their own to extend the lead a little more
Old 07-21-2003, 09:16 PM   #216
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Third quarter between Oklahoma and Michigan....

15:00 3rd, OK leads 14-7
The Wolverines receive the kick to start the second half and proceed to do pretty much nothing with it, picking up a first down on the first play but getting stuffed in three plays after that. Punt.

12:53 3rd, OK leads 14-7
The Sooners make the Wolverines pay for the poor start as the offense rips through the defense, culminating in a nice TD pass from 24 yards out. Extra point is good.

9:11 3rd, OK leads 21-7
The Wolverine offense is still non-existent as this time they meagerly go three-and-out.

7:42 3rd, OK leads 21-7
However, the Sooner offense has decided to slum it as well, answering Michigan's three-and-out with one of their own.

6:19 3rd, OK leads 21-7
Michigan's offense finally gets a pair of big plays that move them into longish field goal range, but they are unable to muster a needed first down to keep the drive going. On comes the kicker. Snap, hold, kick is up...no good! Just missed to the right!

3:52 3rd, OK leads 21-7
Oklahoma comes out looking for a knockout punch. They seem to be on their way after a pair of long completions and a nice run moves them to the Michigan 35. Disaster hits, however, as the QB is drilled on a pass attempt and coughs up the football, which the Wolverines pounce on.

2:05 3rd, OK leads 21-7
The Wolverine offense continues to flag and they are unable to do anything with the opportunity presented by the defense. Punt.

0:22 3rd, OK leads 21-7
A decent punt return moves the ball to the OU 35. First play of the new drive, last play of the quarter, Sooner QB drops back and finds his receiver breaking loose on a post over the middle. The toss is perfect, the receiver never breaks stride, and as the clock runs out on the third quarter, the Sooners have perhaps landed the decisive blow. The extra point attempt is blocked, however.

End of 3rd Quarter
Oklahoma 27, Michigan 7
Old 07-21-2003, 09:18 PM   #217
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Scoreboard Update

East Region
(4) NC State 31, (1) Georgia 7
Wolfpack add a touchdown in the third and the Bulldogs are in serious trouble now

Midwest Region
(2) Kansas State 38, (3) Alabama 14
Wildcats are putting on a clinic in Lincoln
Old 07-21-2003, 09:24 PM   #218
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Final quarter from the Orange Bowl....

15:00 4th, OK leads 27-7
The Wolverines have seemingly hit a wall in the second half as the Sooner defense is refusing to let them cross midfield, resulting in another punt.

11:33 4th, OK leads 27-7
The Sooners look for the coup de grace, pushing effortlessly into the Michigan end of the field. However, the drive comes to a screeching halt as the running back is stripped of the ball as he goes through the line and the Wolverines get yet another turnover.

6:38 4th, OK leads 27-7
Once again, Michigan's offense is unable to do anything with the football and in fairly short order punts away again.

4:37 4th, OK leads 27-7
The game essentially over, the Sooners are content to run the clock. The Wolverines burn up their timeouts, which does force one last punt by Oklahoma.

1:56 4th, OK leads 27-7
The Wolverines work the ball down field a bit, but the game clock runs out long before they are able to threaten to score. The Sooners ease into the regional final where they'll play either Miami or Penn State.

Final Score
Oklahoma 27, Michigan 7

Last edited by Wolfpack : 07-21-2003 at 09:25 PM.
Old 07-21-2003, 09:30 PM   #219
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Scoreboard Update

East Region
(4) NC State 31, (1) Georgia 14
The shocking upset is complete as the Bulldogs are only able to get a touchdown back in the fourth. The Wolfpack are through to the East Regional Final against either Iowa or ACC rival Virginia. (Honestly folks, even I was surprised at this result...I may be an NC State fan, but I do have enough of a moral center to not re-roll the results to get the outcome I want to see.)

Midwest Region
(2) Kansas State 55, (3) Alabama 28
With the game in hand, the Wildcats seem content to have some fun in the fourth as the Tide scores two TDs on the second stringers, but the second stringers answer back with a pair of TDs and a field goal to close the scoring. The Wildcats advance to the Midwest Regional Final to await the winner of Ohio State and Notre Dame. With a strong HFA in Lincoln, the Wildcats may be the favorites against even Ohio State.

Last edited by Wolfpack : 07-22-2003 at 11:13 AM.
Old 07-22-2003, 11:48 AM   #220
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

The gang breaks up after the OU-UM game, taking a dinner break and doing some other things to occupy the time until the 7:00 game comes on. The crowd reconvenes just before the appointed time. Butter_of_69 grabs the remote and flips on the TV. A sudden burst of giddy hysterical laughter escapes from Jeeber as the picture resolves itself, causing others around him to slowly edge away from him a bit. It a scoreboard update of the 3:30 game between BC and Texas Tech.

WEST: (7) Boston College 47, (6) Texas Tech 27
The magical ride of the Eagles continues as BC shuts down Texas Tech's high-powered offense and kept the Raiders at arm's reach most of the game. An 11-point first quarter lead at 17-6 was generally maintained as the Raiders could only trim a point from it over the next two quarters, making the score 30-20 going into the last quarter. The Eagles broke loose again in the fourth and the Raiders could not keep up. BC now awaits the winner of Southern California and Boise State.

Last edited by Wolfpack : 07-22-2003 at 12:56 PM.
Old 07-22-2003, 12:18 PM   #221
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Butter_of_69 clicks the buttons on the remote and the scoreboard is replaced by an image of Memorial Stadium in Lincoln, Nebraska in the waning afternoon sunlight. On the field, two teams, one with a distinctive gray helmet and one with a distinctive gold helmet, are warming up. It's Notre Dame and Ohio State in a Midwest Regional Semi-Final, according to the announcer.

Ohio State wins the toss and elects to take the ball first.

The Buckeyes start out of the gate in fine fashion. Just three plays into the drive, the QB hands away to the running back, who sweeps around the line, picks up some good blocking, and is suddenly in a foot race for the end zone. He wins the race and just like that the Buckeyes are in front. Extra point is good.

13:26 1st, OSU leads 7-0
Notre Dame tries to provide an answer for the sudden score and does manage to work their way down the field before grinding to a halt near the Ohio State 40 where they face 4th and short. Sensing that perhaps the Buckeyes have finally brought their offense, the Irish risk keeping the drive alive rather than attempting a long field goal or a short punt. However, the QB is stacked up on the option play in the backfield and had no chance to get the first. Ball goes over on downs.

8:30 1st, OSU leads 7-0
The Buckeyes take possession and slice their way down the field and get first and goal inside the ND 5. However the Irish defense rises up to stuff them and force fourth and goal. The Buckeyes feel there is a chance to land an early knockout punch and risk going for it. The QB hands away to the running back, but the Irish D is waiting on him at the line and drags him down just short of the goal line. Another turnover on downs.

3:40 1st, OSU leads 7-0
The Irish offense is still moving the ball well and they advance well into Ohio State's end of the field as the quarter draws to a close.

End of 1st Quarter
Ohio State 7, Notre Dame 0
Old 07-22-2003, 12:20 PM   #222
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Scoreboard Update

East Region
(6) Virginia 10, (2) Iowa 3
Cavaliers get up early on Hawkeyes

Southeast Region
(4) Penn State 17, (1) Miami 13
Lions and Hurricanes light it up in the first quarter, with Penn State coming out ahead
Old 07-22-2003, 12:26 PM   #223
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Back to OSU-ND in Lincoln....

15:00 2nd, OSU leads 7-0
The Irish are unable to convert a needed third down to keep the drive going. This time they do settle for a field goal, which is converted and the Irish are on the board.

14:21 2nd, OSU leads 7-3
The OSU running game continues to pound on the Irish defense and a long run results in eventually a field goal on this drive.

11:46 2nd, OSU leads 10-3
The Irish try to answer back, but penalties and a big sack make this time-consuming effort result in nothing more than a punt.

5:59 2nd, OSU leads 10-3
The Buckeyes make the Irish pay for their inability to keep pace as the running game gashes the Irish defense before a beautiful play-action fade route results in a 27 yard touchdown. Extra point is good.

3:41 2nd, OSU leads 17-3
A penalty on the kickoff return sets the Irish back into the shadow of their goal posts, and they are only able to muster their way to midfield and a Hail Mary attempt is knocked away to close the half.

End of 2nd Quarter
Ohio State 17, Notre Dame 3
Old 07-22-2003, 12:28 PM   #224
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Scoreboard Update

East Region
(6) Virginia 17, (2) Iowa 10
Cavs keep the lead at the half...another upset in the offing in Hartford?

Southeast Region
(1) Miami 20, (4) Penn State 17
Canes strike for the only score of the second quarter to take the lead at halftime
Old 07-22-2003, 12:37 PM   #225
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Third quarter between OSU and Notre Dame...

15:00 3rd, OSU leads 17-3
The Irish get the ball to start the half and work their way down into the OSU red zone before the Buckeyes hold them to a fourth down field goal attempt. Snap...it's a fake! Unfortunately, the Buckeyes are all over the holder and he flings a desparate pass towards the end zone that falls harmlessly incomplete.

9:07 3rd, OSU leads 17-3
The Buckeyes come out and have all the appearance of making the Irish pay for the gamble by moving the ball back the other way, but the Irish defense stuffs them just as they reach field goal range. The kicker comes on for a longish attempt. Snap, hold, kick is away...it's no good! A rare miss for the kicker, but it was a pretty long kick to attempt anyway.

4:58 3rd, OSU leads 17-3
Having dodged a bullet, the Irish try to do something with their second chance. It's not to be, though, as they can only manage a first down before having to punt away.

2:10 3rd, OSU leads 17-3
On the ensuing punt, the Buckeye return man moves to one side of the field before reversing it back the other way and suddenly picks up blockers. He reaches the sideline, stiffarms the punter, and high-steps it into the end zone for a touchdown! Extra point is good and the Irish are now in it up to their necks.

1:46 3rd, OSU leads 24-3
The Irish seem to have gotten the offense going again as they move to near midfield as the quarter comes to a close.

End of 3rd Quarter
Ohio State 24, Notre Dame 3
Old 07-22-2003, 12:40 PM   #226
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Scoreboard Update

East Region
(6) Virginia 24, (2) Iowa 17
Cavs again answer Iowa score with one of their own to retain lead going into the fourth...breath, tucker, breath....

Southeast Region
(1) Miami 27, (4) Penn State 17
After all the points in the opening quarter, the defenses have taken over, but Miami's has been stronger, shutting out the Lions while the Lions have surrendered a touchdown in each quarter since the first
Old 07-22-2003, 12:52 PM   #227
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Last quarter between Buckeyes and Irish....

15:00 4th, OSU leads 24-3
The Irish continue to try to get back in the game, but disaster strikes just a couple of plays into the fourth. The QB rolls out and fires an out to his receiver a few yards downfield. The corner covering makes a beautiful break on the ball and is on a dead run as he intercepts it. There's nothing but green grass in front of him and he glides into the end zone 60 yards later to emphatically drive a nail into the Notre Dame coffin. The snap on the extra point is bobbled and the extra point is blown, but it doesn't matter at this point, probably.

14:07 4th, OSU leads 30-3
The Irish offense is unable to get it going on the next drive and it feebly ends in a punt.

11:14 4th, OSU leads 30-3
The Buckeye offense, on the other hand, gets its first decent drive of the half going as the running game picks up chunks of yardage before the running back breaks off a 48 yard touchdown run that effectively ends the contest. XP is good this time.

8:01 4th, OSU leads 37-3
The Irish are done for at this point. The offense languishes and ends up going three-and-out.

7:00 4th, OSU leads 37-3
The second-stringers come in for OSU and they are able to move the ball down the field, but penalties and blown blocks push them back out of field goal range. Figuring it would be good practice, OSU keeps the offense out for a fourth and long at the ND 45. They get some yards, but don't pick up the first down and turn it over on downs.

1:20 4th, OSU leads 37-3
The Irish make one final attempt for pride to get some more points on the board, but attempts to score at the end of the game fall incomplete in the end zone and the clock runs out. The Buckeyes triumph and now face the difficult task of taking on a very hot Kansas State team in the regional final.

Final Score
Ohio State 37, Notre Dame 3

Last edited by Wolfpack : 07-22-2003 at 12:52 PM.
Old 07-22-2003, 12:56 PM   #228
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Scoreboard Update

East Region
(2) Iowa 34, (6) Virginia 24
Trailing into the last quarter, the Hawkeyes put together a tremendous rally that sees them score 17 points while the defense shuts out the Cavaliers and the Hawkeyes escape with the victory. They now draw NC State in the East Regional Final. Congratulations, tucker!...tucker? Anybody got smelling salts or a glass of water to throw in his face?

Southeast Region
(1) Miami 33, (4) Penn State 24
The Hurricanes do just enough in the fourth quarter to keep the Lions at bay and advance to the Southeast Regional Final against second-seeded Oklahoma
Old 07-22-2003, 01:28 PM   #229
JeeberD
General Manager

Wow, what a great day so far. OU wins, TT loses, and Notre Dame got crushed! Hopefully Boise can keep my wonderful day going!!!

Old 07-22-2003, 01:56 PM   #230
rjolley
College Starter

Man, Penn State lost.

Ah well, at least Notre Dame was crushed just like they should be.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 03:44 PM   #231
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

With the conclusion of the OSU-ND game, many of the watchers of the FOFC TV have decided to go on home as it's past 10:00 at night. However, JeeberD has the appearance of a man who's just getting warmed up. Decently buzzed from the win by Oklahoma and the loss by Texas Tech, he gleefully grabs the remote and flips to the last game of the evening. The familiar architecture of the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum appears. The stadium is jammed to capacity, pretty much all seats taken by people wearing maroon and gold. The announcer intones that this is the West Regional Semi-final between the surprising Boise State Broncos and the West's top seed, the Trojans of Southern Cal.

Southern Cal wins the toss and defers, so Boise State will receive.

The Broncos get the ball first and are able to pick up a first down on the first play, but the Trojans quickly reorganize and prevent them from a second one. Punt.

12:56 1st, game tied 0-0
The Trojans come out firing on their first possession, knifing through the Bronco defense and the QB connects with his receiver for a 14-yard touchdown to put the Trojans on top. Extra point is good.

8:44 1st, USC leads 7-0
Boise State works its way out to near midfield, but the offense cannot get the job done on third down and the Broncos punt for the second straight possession.

4:47 1st, USC leads 7-0
This time the Bronco D plays well, giving up a first down on third down one time, but not the second, forcing the Trojans to punt. On the second third down, the Trojans just missed on a bomb play down the middle that would have been a touchdown if it wasn't overthrown.

2:03 1st, USC leads 7-0
The Broncos get the offense going at last, pushing their way into Trojan territory as the quarter comes to a close.

End of 1st Quarter
Southern California 7, Boise State 0

(NOTE: since there are no games to update with, I'll just put the entire game narrative into this post)

15:00 2nd, USC leads 7-0
The Broncos get the ball into field goal range before the Trojans hold. The kicker is sent on to get some points. Snap, hold, kick is up...and it's no good! Wide to the right! Boise State remains scoreless.

12:49 2nd, USC leads 7-0
The Trojans embark on a nice, time-eating drive that sees them move back down the field and cap it with the QB's second touchdown pass of the game from 7 yards out. Extra point is good.

8:16 2nd, USC leads 14-0
The Broncos come back firing, hitting on back-to-back deep throws that move them into field goal range, but the Trojans again don't allow them to get to the end zone. The kicker comes out again and this time he makes his kick to get Boise State on the board.

6:05 2nd, USC leads 14-3
The Trojan offense is on a roll, though. Another nice drive is undertaken and once again the Broncos are unable to keep USC out of the end zone, this one a rushing touchdown and the Broncos are in a hole that they might not be able to get out of. Extra point is good.

1:57 2nd, USC leads 21-3
The Broncos are unable to get into scoring position and a futile Hail Mary at the end of the half is knocked down harmlessly to close the half.

End of 2nd Quarter
Southern California 21, Boise State 3

15:00 3rd, USC leads 21-3
USC's offense continues to rack up the yardage, taking the opening possession into Boise State territory before the Broncos finally stiffen up and the Trojans are made to kick a field goal. Snap, hold, kick's on the way...no good! Boise State takes over.

11:26 3rd, USC leads 21-3
The Broncos do their best to try to get back into the contest. They battle down the field and into USC territory. Unfortunately, the QB is sacked dropping back to pass and loses the football, which the Trojans jump on to kill the drive.

7:13 3rd, USC leads 21-3
As if the USC offense needs the help, they proceed to carve up the Broncos and move with ease down the field and the QB registers his third TD pass of the night. The extra point is good and the Broncos hopes are rapidly fading.

3:08 3rd, USC leads 28-3
A great kickoff return gives some hope to the Bronco faithful as the offense manages to work down the field and are threatening to at least get a field goal as the quarter comes to an end.

End of the 3rd Quarter
Southern California 28, Boise State 3

15:00 4th, USC leads 28-3
Two plays into the fourth, the Broncos finally break through, scoring a touchdown on a nifty pass from 21 yards out and the few Bronco fans in attendance (along with Jeeber watching on the TV) cheer loudly. The extra point is good, but are the Broncos too far down to mount a charge?

14:32 4th, USC leads 28-10
Whatever hopes that might have arisen for Boise State are promptly dashed as the USC offense is unstoppable this evening. Another drive, another touchdown. Extra point is good.

10:59 4th, USC leads 35-10
It goes from bad to worse for Boise State as on the first play of the next possession, the Trojans intercept a Bronco pass and get great field position as a result.[/i]

10:48 4th, USC leads 35-10
Surprisingly enough, the Bronco defense rises to the challenge. The Trojans are unable to get a touchdown out of the drive and settle for a fairly short field goal to extend the lead.

8:18 4th, USC leads 38-10
The Broncos make one last strong effort, getting into field goal range before the Trojan defense is able to hold them back. The kicker comes on. Snap, hold, kick is up...he missed it! Just tough luck tonight for the Broncos.

4:37 4th, USC leads 38-10
The Trojans, game firmly in hand, send on the second string and the backups pick up yards and first downs enough to grind out the remainder of the clock. The Trojans move on to the West Regional Final where they have a date with Cinderella, also known as Boston College.

Final Score
Southern California 38, Boise State 10
Old 07-22-2003, 03:46 PM   #232
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

And so, another Saturday of mind-paralyzing football watching comes to a close for our intrepid viewers. A disappointed JeeberD clicks the remote snapping off the TV and the room descends into darkness. Eight teams remain, just seven games left to see.
Old 07-22-2003, 03:48 PM   #233
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Elite Eight Pairings

East Region

Rentschler Field, University of Connecticut, Hartford, CT
(4) NC State vs. (2) Iowa

Southeast Region

Orange Bowl, University of Miami, Miami, FL
(2) Oklahoma vs. (1) Miami**

Midwest Region

Memorial Stadium, University of Nebraska at Lincoln, Lincoln, NE
(2) Kansas State** vs. (1) Ohio State

West Region

LA Memorial Coliseum, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA
(7) Boston College vs. (1) Southern California**

**--Strong home field advantage this game
*--Some home field advantage this game
Old 07-22-2003, 03:54 PM   #234
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Schedule and Lines for Elite Eight

Code:
EAST (4) NC State vs (2) Iowa IA -11 o/u 57 SE (2) Oklahoma vs (1) Miami Pick em o/u 64 MW (2) Kansas State vs (1) Ohio State KSU -12 o/u 46 WEST (7) Boston College vs (1) Southern California USC -25.5 o/u 53.5

I'm going to do something different this round of games in terms of choosing who to watch. A minimum of two games will be chosen to be watched. However, the other two are not required viewing if there is no interest. If all four games are selected, then the games will start with the East final, followed by Southeast, then Midwest, then West. If three of four are chosen, then one game will start at noon alone, the 3:30 slot will have one watched and one quick-played game, and the 7:00 slot will be the final game. If only two are selected, then the 3:30 and 7:00 slots will double up.

The selection process is now open on first-come, first-serve basis.
Old 07-22-2003, 04:00 PM   #235
NAIWF
College Prospect

Oklahoma/Miami. Stupid Sooners better lose!
NAIWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 04:28 PM   #236
JeeberD
General Manager

And the last of the WAC falls. At least someone made it to the Sweet Sixteen.

Go OU! Beat the 'Canes!!!

Old 07-22-2003, 05:27 PM   #237
Lone Star
Mascot

Go BC!!!!!!!!!

Someone's gotta root for the underdog..........
Lone Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 05:36 PM   #238
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

KSU-OSU

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 06:07 PM   #239
tucker342
Pro Starter

Go Iowa!
Old 07-22-2003, 07:14 PM   #240
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

We have our two mandated games, Oklahoma-Miami and Kansas State-Ohio State. I'm going to let this sit for another 24 hours to see if anyone wants the other two games picked up.

I'm currently pondering whether to use a more detailed game to provide more comprehensive game action. I have the general ratings for each team (I have them for all of the teams last year), but I'd still need time to look at the rosters and assign ratings to individual players. Instead of drive-by-drive, this game would do play-by-play and we'd actually have specific real players playing instead of just nameless positions, not to mention stats. I'll likely do this for at least the Final if not the Final Four. Or, if people are so inclined, I could be persuaded to take the time to do it for this round. What do people think?
Old 07-23-2003, 01:13 PM   #241
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Bumping this up for the afternoon readers....
Old 07-23-2003, 08:11 PM   #242
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

No takers for the other two? Surprising. Would've thought that tucker would pick up the NC State-Iowa game. At any rate, here's the official schedule for the next round:

Code:
3:30 PM EAST (4) NC State vs (2) Iowa IA -11 o/u 57 SE (2) Oklahoma vs (1) Miami Pick em o/u 64 7:00 PM MW (2) Kansas State vs (1) Ohio State KSU -12 o/u 46 WEST (7) Boston College vs (1) Southern California USC -25.5 o/u 53.5

I'll hopefully have this round finished out soon.
Old 07-23-2003, 09:21 PM   #243
tucker342
Pro Starter

You know, I really should read all of the posts....
Old 07-28-2003, 10:29 AM   #244
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Just to let everyone know, I haven't dropped this. I got around to playing the regional finals this weekend and should have those posted sometime today or tonight. To foreshadow a bit, one winner was unimpressive, but coasted, another got a bit lucky on what was in hindsight a bad decision in the fourth quarter, another Final Four team gradually worked their way in, and the last one got in on gobs and gobs of luck. The Final Four matchups are...interesting...to say the least.
Old 07-28-2003, 02:55 PM   #245
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

The FOFC gang gathers once again for Regional Final Saturday. JeeberD is decked out in Sooner attire, which generates some applause as people rib him for finally picking a team and sticking with them. Tucker is dressed out in black, save for the Hawkeye logo smack in the middle of his shirt. He's muttering something about "not having read the entire thread". NAIWF, as he has often done in the past, grabs the remote and starts up the television. The image appears of the Orange Bowl in Miami, filled to capacity with a very partisan crowd rooting for the Hurricanes against the Sooners in the Southeast Regional Final.

Miami wins the toss and defers to the second half, so Oklahoma will start with the ball first.

The Sooners engineer a good drive to open the game but eventually bog down as they reach field goal range. The kicker is sent on to get some points. Snap, hold, kick is away...no good! Oklahoma doesn't get on the board first.

9:52 1st, game tied 0-0
The Hurricanes begin the game very well themselves, pushing their way into Oklahoma territory. However, the QB makes a bad read on a pass play and is picked off, killing the drive.

4:38 1st, game tied 0-0
The Sooners manage to work their way to a couple of first downs, but penalties kill the drive and they are forced to punt.

1:14 1st, game tied 0-0
The Hurricanes get flagged on the first play from scrimmage, get some yards on the next play, but are facing a long yardage situation on second down as the quarter ends.

End of the 1st Quarter
Oklahoma 0, Miami 0
Old 07-28-2003, 02:56 PM   #246
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Scoreboard Update

East Regional Final
(2) Iowa 7, (4) NC State 3
Hawkeyes take the early lead in Hartford
Old 07-28-2003, 03:04 PM   #247
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

2nd Quarter in Miami...

15:00 2nd, game tied 0-0
'Canes fail to pick up the first down after getting into the hole, so they are forced to punt.

13:55 2nd, game tied 0-0
The Sooner offense is set up by a good return, which they utilize to push into field goal range before Miami's defense holds them up. The kicker comes on. Snap, kick is away...it's good! Oklahoma gets on the board first in the Southeast Regional Final.

10:48 2nd, OU leads 3-0
Miami's response is not long in coming. The offense easily gets chunks of yardage and the drive is capped by a brilliant 47 yard touchdown run by the running back and the crowd is in a frenzy. The extra point is good.

7:30 2nd, MIA leads 7-3
The Sooners are not fazed at all. They immediately embark on another impressive drive which results in a crowd-silencing touchdown pass to get Oklahoma back in the lead. However, Miami gets a break on the extra point as the kick is low and is subsequently blocked by a high jumper in the middle of the line.

3:36 2nd, OU leads 9-7
On the ensuing kickoff, the return man is hit hard and coughs up the football. The Sooners jump on it and have a golden opportunity just before halftime.

3:29 2nd, OU leads 9-7
However, the Hurricane defense is up to the task. They bend but don't break and force OU to settle for a short field goal, minimizing the damage.

1:16 2nd, OU leads 12-7
Miami makes an attempt to move downfield quickly, but nearly gets another turnover. The coach decides it is better to sit on it and regroup at halftime after that.

End of the 2nd Quarter
Oklahoma 12, Miami 7
Old 07-28-2003, 03:05 PM   #248
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Scoreboard Update

East Regional Final
(2) Iowa 14, (4) NC State 3
For the first time in the tournament, the Wolfpack is facing real adversity as the Hawkeyes add another touchdown in the second quarter
Old 07-28-2003, 03:08 PM   #249
JeeberD
General Manager

Hell yeah! Come on Sooners, let's finish them off!

Old 07-28-2003, 03:11 PM   #250
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Third quarter between OU and Miami...

15:00 3rd, OU leads 12-7
The Hurricanes do very well on their opening drive, working their way down field and into field goal range before the Sooner defense is able to hold. The kicker comes on to close the gap. Snap, hold, kick is away...missed it! Pushed it to the right! OU still leads by 5!

10:48 3rd, OU leads 12-7
The Sooners respond with another solid drive of their own that also sees them reach field goal range. Facing a fourth and short, the Sooner coach goes for it, thinking he has a chance to crack the game open if he can get a touchdown out of this drive. The QB hands away, the running back is hit at the line and tries to lunge forward. The spot is made, the chains come out. It is...short! By half a football! Miami holds and takes over on downs!

6:25 3rd, OU leads 12-7
However, the Hurricanes are unable to capitalize on the momentum as the OU defense prevents them from crossing midfield. Punt.

2:43 3rd, OU leads 12-7
The Sooners try to dig their way out of their end of the field and are having a little bit of success as the quarter ends, but they're still only out to their own 35.

End of 3rd Quarter
Oklahoma 12, Miami 7