Old 08-14-2007, 02:02 PM   #202
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critch View Post
Bad news.....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/foot...ur/6945790.stm

Middlesbrough agree fee for Mido.

Quick, Mido! Throw a fit of anti-coachism! Gah!
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 02:02 PM   #203
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
Suck it, Boro!

You are SO getting my first vote in the next WW game.
Old 08-14-2007, 02:04 PM   #204
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Okay, I mean the NEXT WW game.
Old 08-14-2007, 03:08 PM   #205
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Mido is a good player, despite the problems - the guy is basically a very poor man's Zlatan Ibrahimovic - $100 talent, 5-cent head. Given the Boro's offensive creativity consists of give Stewart Downing the ball, and let him targeting crosses - Mido might actually help the team.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 03:40 PM   #206
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
You are SO getting my first vote in the next WW game.

Vote whatever you want, it won't change who's on top of the table. Yeah, I'm enjoying that while I can.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 03:47 PM   #207
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Vote whatever you want, it won't change who's on top of the table. Yeah, I'm enjoying that while I can.

lol, that's like saying Newcastle, looking good in preseason.
Old 08-14-2007, 03:51 PM   #208
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
Mido is a good player, despite the problems - the guy is basically a very poor man's Zlatan Ibrahimovic - $100 talent, 5-cent head. Given the Boro's offensive creativity consists of give Stewart Downing the ball, and let him targeting crosses - Mido might actually help the team.

True enough, but I fear that his training habits and falling short of being a team member will have a bad effect on other important players up front, like Yakubu and Aliadiere. He will also likely identify a bit with Tuncay, being from the same region (although Egypt/Turkey are hardly close companions), which could cause his influence to cross over there, too. I just don't want someone who leads a team astray when they aren't good enough to win on talent alone, and must work together as a team to make things work.

Plus, if we wanted a target man who would only show up against low quality teams, we woulda brought back Viduka.
Old 08-14-2007, 05:05 PM   #209
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Adu made his Champions League debut today vs. FC Copenhagen. He came off the bench (in the first half for some reason, not sure if there was an injury or what) and Benfica won 2-1.

Rangers also won their game against Red Star Belgrade 1-0, so Americans had a 100% record in the CL today.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 05:12 PM   #210
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Wow... Tottenham loses AGAIN, this time 3-1 to Everton. I know the backline is unsettled at the present, but they have to right this ship sometime soon.
Old 08-14-2007, 06:25 PM   #211
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
Rangers also won their game against Red Star Belgrade 1-0, so Americans had a 100% record in the CL today.

Last minute winner for Rangers tonight, long after Beasley had been taken off. He was pretty ineffective, Red Star played some seriously rough stuff (7 bookings, and should have seen a red or two), and Beasley faded.

He's not settled yet, a couple of flashes but so far he's looked pretty lightweight and inconsistent.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 06:55 PM   #212
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Ugh, what a terrible start to the new season. Two draws to middling teams, Rooney's injury and what could be a three match ban for Ronaldo. Selling both Smith and Rossi made me nervous but I didn't think it would bite us in the ass this much. And Chelsea won their first two games.

Tevez did look pretty good in his debut today though, he setup Scholes' goal brilliantly and came close to scoring a few other times. I'll try to avoid getting too pessimistic since it's still August but damn this has been a rough beginning.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 10:24 PM   #213
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

In David Beckham's first start in the SuperLiga game with DC United, he scores off a free kick in the 27th minute. What a start to his career in LA!
Old 08-15-2007, 10:29 PM   #214
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
In David Beckham's first start in the SuperLiga game with DC United, he scores off a free kick in the 27th minute. What a start to his career in LA!

I was wondering if anyone else was watching the game. Beckham's first free kick was nice as he froze D.C.'s Troy Perkins for an easy goal. Later, the Galaxy went up 2-0 just a few minutes into the second half as Beckham set up a Donovan breakaway with a good pass from midfield that turned the defender around and let Landon get a couple steps ahead. He just had his second free kick attempt...it was a nice, solid shot that Perkins kept out by making a leaping save to his right.

...and right as I type this, Beckham gets subbed out in the 63rd minute.
VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 10:31 PM   #215
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

Quote:

where has this LA team been all year? they actually look good. and i love the Mexican tv channels, every few minutes in the game they show a hot chick in the stands
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 10:11 AM   #216
chesapeake
College Starter

Perkins has got to trust his wall and cover that side of the goal. It may have gone in anyway, but he never gave himself a chance.

Beckham makes LA a lot better. The balls he has played to Lady Donovan in the short time he's been available have been outstanding.

It will be interesting to see how Becks endures against some of the more physical sides in MLS. Will he be able to get up after being Kovalenko'ed?
chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 10:49 AM   #217
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Perkins played it right. It was just a brilliant free kick. You can not trust your wall with a player like Beckham taking the kicks.
Old 08-16-2007, 01:10 PM   #218
Tellistto
College Prospect

Quote:
Wow... Tottenham loses AGAIN, this time 3-1 to Everton. I know the backline is unsettled at the present, but they have to right this ship sometime soon.

Everton aren't exactly a bad team, you know. Let's not forget they beat them last season at WHL 2-1 as well, and finished the season strong to end up in 6th, behind Tottenham. Same team to start the season as ended the season, with much the same results. Arteta is just magic in the midfield, don't think he gets near enough credit for his abilities anywhere. Just imagine how good they'll be when Cahill comes back healthy to add his scoring threat alongside AJ and Ossie.

Yeah, I'm probably the only Everton supporter here.

Tell

Hattrick - Fizzle United (222968)
Tellistto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 01:14 PM   #219
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellistto View Post
Everton aren't exactly a bad team, you know. Let's not forget they beat them last season at WHL 2-1 as well, and finished the season strong to end up in 6th, behind Tottenham. Same team to start the season as ended the season, with much the same results. Arteta is just magic in the midfield, don't think he gets near enough credit for his abilities anywhere. Just imagine how good they'll be when Cahill comes back healthy to add his scoring threat alongside AJ and Ossie.

Tell

I'm confused - as I recall, there are 2 teams on Merseyside: Liverpool, and Liverpool Reserves.
Old 08-16-2007, 02:13 PM   #220
finketr
College Prospect

Quote:

Tell

i enjoy watching everton games.
finketr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 02:16 PM   #221
Tellistto
College Prospect

Quote:
I'm confused - as I recall, there are 2 teams on Merseyside: Liverpool, and Liverpool Reserves.

Dude, there is only one team on Merseyside that truly matters, and that team is the mighty Tranmere! Everyone needs to get on the bandwagon now!

Anyways, I'm glad you weren't able to refute my claims that Everton aren't a bad team. Thanks for playing!

Tell

Old 08-16-2007, 02:41 PM   #222
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I don't believe anyone said Everton were a bad team, so why should anyone refute claims to the contrary of claims that were never made (that sentance does make sense... i swear! ).
Old 08-16-2007, 02:57 PM   #223
Tellistto
College Prospect

Oof, I didn't even notice my double negative in there. Geeze, I need to learn English. It should have been, "I'm glad you weren't able to refute my claims that Everton are a good team."

Thanks for pointing that out.

Tell

Old 08-16-2007, 02:57 PM   #224
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Dude, there is only one team on Merseyside that truly matters, and that team is the mighty Tranmere! Everyone needs to get on the bandwagon now!

Anyways, I'm glad you weren't able to refute my claims that Everton aren't a bad team. Thanks for playing!

Tell

I think Artera and Cahill are good players in what is a solid, workman-like unit of a team. I don't Everton ever playing good football, but I think their discipline and solidarity puts them in a good place.
Old 08-16-2007, 03:06 PM   #225
Tellistto
College Prospect

Quote:
I think Artera and Cahill are good players in what is a solid, workman-like unit of a team. I don't Everton ever playing good football, but I think their discipline and solidarity puts them in a good place.

Mmm, that's a much better response than your original one, thank you. While you are correct that the richer/bigger/more successful team in Merseyside are Liverpool, they are by no means the only thing going. Anyways, I have no shame in claiming them as the team I support.

Hey, did you know that Everton existed first, and that Liverpool was created because of a boardroom disagreement over the rent of Anfield? Most of the board didn't want to pay it, but the chairman did, so they split, and history was made.

Tell

Old 08-16-2007, 03:16 PM   #226
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Mmm, that's a much better response than your original one, thank you. While you are correct that the richer/bigger/more successful team in Merseyside are Liverpool, they are by no means the only thing going. Anyways, I have no shame in claiming them as the team I support.

Hey, did you know that Everton existed first, and that Liverpool was created because of a boardroom disagreement over the rent of Anfield? Most of the board didn't want to pay it, but the chairman did, so they split, and history was made.

Tell

As a Liverpool fan, one is aware of that - yes. And I'm shocked that an Everton fan has never heard the line about two teams in Merseyside before.
Old 08-16-2007, 03:23 PM   #227
Tellistto
College Prospect

I hadn't heard that before, no. I haven't had the oppurtunity to interact with Liverpool fans in the past 8 or so years since I took a liking to Everton(yes, when they were bad). My bad.

Tell

Old 08-17-2007, 04:31 AM   #228
daedalus
Pro Rookie

from the arse BS board:

this made me giggle.

like a schoolgirl.
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 07:03 AM   #229
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by daedalus View Post

from the Daily Telegraph:

Is Martin Jol going to become the first Premier League manager to suffer the axe this season? Well, Coral have suspended betting on the next manager to leave his job after taking a number of big bets on the Spurs chief. Jol has been backed from 10-1 down to 9-2 in the last 24 hours to make him second favourite for the sack behind Bolton's Sammy Lee at 9-4.

Coral spokesman Simon Clare said: "The pattern of bets was unusual in a number of ways including the size of the bets, the source of them and their timing. There are also rumours circulating about the subject but these could be something or nothing so we have decided to suspend betting until the dust settles."
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 02:19 PM   #230
Blade6119
Coordinator

Eddie Lewis is now the 2nd yank to join Premiership newcomers Derby County in the past few weeks, nice to see him return to the top league.
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 07:50 PM   #231
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade6119 View Post
Eddie Lewis is now the 2nd yank to join Premiership newcomers Derby County in the past few weeks, nice to see him return to the top league.

Hardly a "return" to the top league? He's played one top-flight game in his life.
Old 08-17-2007, 11:27 PM   #232
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Anyone else going to the Red Bulls / LA Galaxy game tomorrow?

I'm fucking pumped!. Already 60,000 tickets sold, a massive amount of hype is back on after Beckham's performance on Wednesday night, and the weather is going to be perfect.

And me and my friends have great seats because we bought them back in March. I go to plenty of Red Bulls games, but it's going to be nice to be there in a packed house. Really looking forward to this...

Last edited by cthomer5000 : 08-17-2007 at 11:27 PM.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 09:34 AM   #233
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPI-Fan View Post
Hardly a "return" to the top league? He's played one top-flight game in his life.
not quite sure who he is but if he's played one game and is now back, wouldn't that constitute a "return"?
Old 08-18-2007, 09:54 AM   #234
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

Quote:
not quite sure who he is but if he's played one game and is now back, wouldn't that constitute a "return"?

better yet, we can hype it more by saying "hes back for vengance!"
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 09:58 AM   #235
Passacaglia
Coordinator

he has returned, more powerful than ever
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 11:11 AM   #236
3ric
College Starter

Quote:

...and helped the team he has, scoring once in his debut for Boro.
Old 08-18-2007, 12:21 PM   #237
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Mido is a good player, despite the problems - the guy is basically a very poor man's Zlatan Ibrahimovic - $100 talent, 5-cent head.
Oh man, that brought back memories from the days those two guys (Mido and Zlatan) where both playing for Ajax. Rumor had it they were scoring more in the Amsterdam nightlife than in the Amsterdam ArenA.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 01:06 PM   #238
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19 View Post
Oh man, that brought back memories from the days those two guys (Mido and Zlatan) where both playing for Ajax. Rumor had it they were scoring more in the Amsterdam nightlife than in the Amsterdam ArenA.

I have no doubts. I figured you would be familiar with seeing the two play together.
Old 08-18-2007, 01:22 PM   #239
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

Newcastle, as they should, look like an entirely different squad. Rozenhal is a massive upgrade from Bramble. He looked solid. Now they just need to find someone with some creativity in midfield. Geremi, Butt and Smith are all huff and puff, but next to no finesse. I'm not sure how Martins and Owen are going to get the service they need to score, unless Viduka can head enough balls into their path.
Ajaxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 02:23 PM   #240
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:

rpi-fan hates me, common sense matters little in this situation
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
Old 08-18-2007, 04:03 PM   #241
Blade6119
Coordinator

U-17 WC started today, highlighted by Brazil thrashing New Zealand 7-0..anyone following?
Demotivation
Old 08-18-2007, 04:32 PM   #242
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaxab View Post
Newcastle, as they should, look like an entirely different squad. Rozenhal is a massive upgrade from Bramble. He looked solid. Now they just need to find someone with some creativity in midfield. Geremi, Butt and Smith are all huff and puff, but next to no finesse. I'm not sure how Martins and Owen are going to get the service they need to score, unless Viduka can head enough balls into their path.

Agreed, but I want to see how Barton plays in the midfield. Emre is also supposed to be back soon, isn't he?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ric
...and helped the team he has, scoring once in his debut for Boro.

I'd chalk that one up more to the Fulham keeper .
Old 08-18-2007, 04:34 PM   #243
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Speaking of Fulham, Brian McBride shattered his kneecap today.
Old 08-18-2007, 04:51 PM   #244
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Crap . I knew he got hurt, but I didn't realize it was that bad.
Old 08-18-2007, 05:55 PM   #245
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
he has returned, more powerful than ever
he would not accept a demotion (or a banning)?
Old 08-18-2007, 05:56 PM   #246
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade6119 View Post
rpi-fan hates me, common sense matters little in this situation
good point. start talking up the USMNT. that'll get you back in his good grace.
Old 08-18-2007, 05:56 PM   #247
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
ow. that sucks. i like the dude.
Old 08-18-2007, 06:12 PM   #248
Flasch186
Coordinator

whoever is that short skinny bald ref today in the EPL, in one of the games i watched, was simply awful. I wish I could remember his name but he blew 3 calls in the short span of time I was awake to watch.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL

Last edited by Flasch186 : 08-18-2007 at 06:56 PM.
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 06:49 PM   #249
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

NY v LA

rigged.

Fire Ron Lee.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 06:52 PM   #250
Celeval
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazFTW View Post
NY v LA

rigged.

I dunno, those were two pretty nice headers.
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote