Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-13-2009, 11:50 PM   #201
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post
word is this may be picked up for 2 more seasons!!
That's good news (I think).

I think they could struggle to bring in new characters and develop them. The only player they have left for next season is J.D. McCoy. With the constant fear of cancellation, they haven't been able to really bring some fresh faces along. Season 4 could be a big shock to viewers as most of the familiar faces are gone.

With that said, I'd hate for the show to go downhill. I'd rather see a great show end on a high note than have to re-develop itself in Season 4.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 05:07 AM   #202
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I think they could struggle to bring in new characters and develop them. The only player they have left for next season is J.D. McCoy.

They kinda fudged Landry/Lance's age so that he was apparently a junior this year, leaving the door open for his return in season 4.

Spoiler
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 11:45 AM   #203
larrymcg421
Head Coach

2009 NFL Mock Draft: The Friday Night Lights Edition

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 01:03 PM   #204
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
They kinda fudged Landry/Lance's age so that he was apparently a junior this year, leaving the door open for his return in season 4.

Really? That's really weird. I don't think anyone thought of him as a frosh in S1.
Old 03-14-2009, 02:12 PM   #205
Pyser
Pro Rookie

no one thought riggins was a soph when he was best friends with street s1 either...even if he had been held back at some point
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 04:36 AM   #206
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Looks to be officially renewed for 2 more seasons.

LIVE: The TV Blog

It looks like Tyra and Lyla will be written off the show early next season. They also seem to be losing their head writer and director.

As much as I like the show, I just don't know how they are going to draw people in for Seasons 4 and 5. Four of the main characters will now be gone, with Riggins and Saracen out of high school (I can't think of a show that has lost that many of it's characters that fast and been succesful).

The show has really been screwed over by these 13 episode seasons. It really needs a full one to develop the characters properly and play everything out. New characters are always tough to merge into a succesful show that was built on the strength of its character's personalities.

I heard this idea on a podcast the other day. The idea was that TV shows were signed for multiple seasons up front and that was it. For instance they'd just decide up front that FNL would be a 3 season show and end it there. You'd be able to tie up the cast and write storylines for the entire length of the show. FNL really could have benefited from this kind of setup. It's a show that really should have only gone 2-3 full seasons (20+ episode seasons) and then ended.

Last edited by RainMaker : 03-28-2009 at 04:52 AM.
Old 03-28-2009, 05:33 AM   #207
chadritt
High School Varsity

Quote:
I heard this idea on a podcast the other day. The idea was that TV shows were signed for multiple seasons up front and that was it. For instance they'd just decide up front that FNL would be a 3 season show and end it there. You'd be able to tie up the cast and write storylines for the entire length of the show. FNL really could have benefited from this kind of setup. It's a show that really should have only gone 2-3 full seasons (20+ episode seasons) and then ended.

Thats not really a good financial decision for the network though, particularly on a show like FNL. I LOVE the show, season 1 was amazing and season 3 has been amazing so far, but it didn't really have the ratings to justify a 2nd season and absolutely didn't have the ratings to justify a third. If NBC had committed themselves to 3 full length seasons and then got season 1s ratings my guess is that people would've been fired, or at least seriously warned, for getting them stuck with a show that loses money.

Even aside from FNL, its not common for a show to become profitable until it hits syndication which typically takes around 5 seasons. Its become easier with the greater number of cable channels and the DVD sales but its still one heck of a crapshoot to guarantee a show anything beyond the amount of time it would take to be profitable.
chadritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 07:00 AM   #208
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadritt View Post
Thats not really a good financial decision for the network though, particularly on a show like FNL. I LOVE the show, season 1 was amazing and season 3 has been amazing so far, but it didn't really have the ratings to justify a 2nd season and absolutely didn't have the ratings to justify a third. If NBC had committed themselves to 3 full length seasons and then got season 1s ratings my guess is that people would've been fired, or at least seriously warned, for getting them stuck with a show that loses money.

Even aside from FNL, its not common for a show to become profitable until it hits syndication which typically takes around 5 seasons. Its become easier with the greater number of cable channels and the DVD sales but its still one heck of a crapshoot to guarantee a show anything beyond the amount of time it would take to be profitable.

I agree that it's not feasible at all for the networks. I just thought it was a unique idea that if it was the way things worked, we'd see much better TV. Networks would in a way be forced to invest in a show.

My biggest issue with TV is that shows are never given a shot. They get a handful of episodes and then the networks decide whether they give up on them or not. Some shows take a season to really develop their characters and involve interesting storylines. Some shows just don't have the initial buzz and take some time getting that word-of-mouth advertising. I mean Family Guy may be the best example of a show taking some time to catch on. Shows like Seinfeld (which was almost cancelled) didn't really hit their groove till after the first season.

I just think the whole system is fucked. Even if you don't sign a multi-season deal, at least give a show a full season (20+ episodes) with consistent marketing to see whether it can attract viewers. These half seasons where shows can get pulled after a couple episodes force creators to force plots too quick and make bad television. I'd love to see a network pick some shows and actually show confidence in them.
Old 03-28-2009, 08:55 AM   #209
DeToxRox
Head Coach

I think it's good for the kids on the show. Don't get stuck being that character. Three years and you're out. They probably should've planned ahead further and introduced more new characters this year but with some clever writing next year you can easily introduce the new main character in the first 5 minutes with a montage.

It looks like how they're gonna do it (Check spoiler above) it'll be eaiser to accomplish.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 02:59 PM   #210
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'd love to see a network pick some shows and actually show confidence in them.

That has happened before, just most times the confidence doesn't pan out. "Arrested Development", for one, was given a 3rd season solely on the basis that the head of NBC's programming liked the show. Based on ratings, it should have been canceled. The 3rd season turned out to be a ratings disaster.

Problem with sticking with ratings disaster shows is that the networks are a business. You can't lose too much money and still hope to keep your job.

This is only exacerbated by the rise of cable. Look at the 'horrible' ratings for Seinfeld in its first season. Those numbers would be a highly rated show today. And that is what matters to the advertisers.
Old 03-28-2009, 03:14 PM   #211
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
I think it's good for the kids on the show. Don't get stuck being that character. Three years and you're out. They probably should've planned ahead further and introduced more new characters this year but with some clever writing next year you can easily introduce the new main character in the first 5 minutes with a montage.

It looks like how they're gonna do it (Check spoiler above) it'll be eaiser to accomplish.

J.D. and Melanie (what ever her name is, I'm suffering from Mr. McCoy syndrome), should be interesting characters. I do like the J.D. story.
Old 03-28-2009, 09:19 PM   #212
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post

I still think it's going to be real tough for the show to do. It takes awhile to build a character like they do. Fans of the show get sucked into current ones and have a tough time accepting new ones. Some dramas have been able to do it, but many have not. The White Shadow may be the best comparision for what FNL is up against.

Still, the signing for 2 seasons gives them 26 episodes to do it. My gut is that with the writer and director going, along with 4 major cast members (and others graduating), FNL's best days are behind it.

Last edited by RainMaker : 03-28-2009 at 09:20 PM.
Old 03-31-2009, 01:14 PM   #213
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

It's official..FNL Picked up for 2 more seasons...

NBC Renews ‘Friday Night Lights’ - ArtsBeat Blog - NYTimes.com
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 08:08 AM   #214
spleen1015
Coordinator

Finally getting caught up on this show. I've watched through episode 7 of this season. I will catch up with the rest of it this week.

The episode I just watched is the one where Street meets the agent and McCoy's dad wasn't there for him after the game. It was the same episode where Buddy's other 2 kids came for a visit.

I don't really know what I think of the season so far. It is better than S2, like everyone says.

Saracen is still a good character. I am interested in seeing more of the McCoy's kid story. I hope Street manages to find a way to be with his kid.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 08:12 AM   #215
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
Finally getting caught up on this show. I've watched through episode 7 of this season. I will catch up with the rest of it this week.

The episode I just watched is the one where Street meets the agent and McCoy's dad wasn't there for him after the game. It was the same episode where Buddy's other 2 kids came for a visit.

I don't really know what I think of the season so far. It is better than S2, like everyone says.

Saracen is still a good character. I am interested in seeing more of the McCoy's kid story. I hope Street manages to find a way to be with his kid.

Just wait. The last 6 episodes or whatever you have left are incredible.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 09:30 AM   #216
Galaril
Pro Starter

Wow awesome news!
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 12:19 AM   #217
JeeberD
General Manager

Spoiler
And finally, after three years, I have the wife watching the show with me...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 12:36 AM   #218
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Spoiler
Old 04-14-2009, 12:41 AM   #219
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Spoiler

Valdosta, Georgia comes to mind. Football crazy (or downright insane) but two schools separated by a few miles that hate each other passionately.

And to continue that connection, consider the case of coach Mike O'Brien in 2002. (as described by USA Today)

Mike O'Brien, an assistant coach at Valdosta for 15 years who took the head coaching job in 1996 following the sudden death of Nick Hyder. O'Brien was 70-20-1 in seven seasons and his 1998 team won a state championship and four region titles.

O'Brien, now the head coach at Woodstock (Ga.) High, was fired following an 8-3-1 season in 2002. He took over the Woodstock program in 2003 while it was in the midst of a 26-game losing streak and guided the program to its first-ever playoff berth in 2005.

Sounds almost too familiar to be entirely coincidental.
Old 04-14-2009, 12:48 AM   #220
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Spoiler

The real town of Odessa has two high schools, the high-end Permian Panthers and the other side of town Odessa Bronchos.

However, I also thought that it would be more interesting if
Spoiler

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 12:51 AM   #221
SegRat
High School Varsity

This show is now my favorite on tv.
Old 04-14-2009, 04:30 AM   #222
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Valdosta, Georgia comes to mind. Football crazy (or downright insane) but two schools separated by a few miles that hate each other passionately.

And to continue that connection, consider the case of coach Mike O'Brien in 2002. (as described by USA Today)

Mike O'Brien, an assistant coach at Valdosta for 15 years who took the head coaching job in 1996 following the sudden death of Nick Hyder. O'Brien was 70-20-1 in seven seasons and his 1998 team won a state championship and four region titles.

O'Brien, now the head coach at Woodstock (Ga.) High, was fired following an 8-3-1 season in 2002. He took over the Woodstock program in 2003 while it was in the midst of a 26-game losing streak and guided the program to its first-ever playoff berth in 2005.

Sounds almost too familiar to be entirely coincidental.

Spoiler
Old 04-18-2009, 09:00 PM   #223
spleen1015
Coordinator

I like the way the season ended, leading us to next season.

Fuck you McCoy!

spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 11:54 PM   #224
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I think the reason for the "surprise" at the end of the season was that they wrote it in case the series was canceled. It would have been an interesting ending.
Old 04-19-2009, 10:00 AM   #225
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Spoiler

Spoiler

Old 04-19-2009, 10:03 AM   #226
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Oh and another reason I like the ending:

Spoiler

Old 11-03-2009, 01:26 AM   #227
Pyser
Pro Rookie

anyone watching the new season on directv so far?

how should we handle talking about it, since it isnt on nbc til january?
Old 11-03-2009, 07:59 AM   #228
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I won't be watching it till January or whenever it come out on NBC. I'll just avoid the thread until then.
Old 11-03-2009, 09:56 AM   #229
Galaril
Pro Starter

I have started watching and like the new direction they are heading though I will miss Tyra and her assets. I am sure they will have a new girl to step in. I love the villainous backdrop happening at the old school (West Dillon?)
Old 11-04-2009, 02:54 PM   #230
Arles
Grey Dog Software

I like it as well. I think it's smart the way they are working in Matt and Riggens to keep them on the show. The Vince angle is also interesting and Landry now has a bigger role.

Overall, I think this is one of the better shows on TV and am excited about this season. I think having Coach Taylor "work from the ground up" is a good way to make the show a little more interesting/fresh than it was heading.
Old 11-04-2009, 03:12 PM   #231
Pyser
Pro Rookie

i cant imagine saracen sticking around. i would be supremely disappointed if he did. no way he should still be in that town.
Old 11-04-2009, 10:09 PM   #232
thealmighty
Pro Starter

I love this show and am glad for the new direction for coach, but if someplace tried to open a school with facilities like that, there would be lawsuits out the ass.
Old 11-05-2009, 03:05 PM   #233
Galaril
Pro Starter

The actress playing Riggens soon to be new boning buddy looks a lot like Tyra.
Old 11-05-2009, 03:20 PM   #234
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Isn't Lyla fucking Derek Jeter?
Old 11-05-2009, 03:46 PM   #235
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Isn't Lyla fucking Derek Jeter?

Yup. She was alright.
Old 12-13-2009, 06:11 PM   #236
whomario
Pro Starter

bump.

Has anyone seen the first episodes of season 4 on direct TV (or other means) ?

It´s great, sometimes even brilliant. Not just "brilliant for this series" but brilliant, period.

Episode 5 is just incredibly intense, if the guy playing Saracen isn´t going to get some serious drama roles then there´s sth wrong. The guy is nailing like every intense scene since the very first episode and that 5th episode of season 4 was the climax.
The fact that i still love that character despite the writers going way overboard with the crisis moments speaks for that just as much as the writers going so overboard with those moments : They know he can pull it off and nails them.

Spoiler

writing is really good overall, not a lot of football scenes with all the new characters but that´s ok.

coach taylor/Kyle chandler is brilliant as usual, Aimee Teegarden less annoying and simply a stunning looking girl...

The new main character alls bring sth to the table.

Spoiler

in terms of football :

Spoiler

Last edited by whomario : 12-13-2009 at 06:41 PM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 08:11 PM   #237
Pyser
Pro Rookie

the show is absolutely unbelievable this season. easily, EASILY the best its ever been.
Old 12-15-2009, 04:10 AM   #238
whomario
Pro Starter

series got nominated as a Top10 series from the AFI (American Film Institute). No idea how much prestige goes along with that, just figured i´d share that

spoilers ahead : Couple reviews on the epic episode 5 :

Friday Night Lights: Zach Gilford, Most Valuable Player -- Vulture

What's Alan Watching?: Friday Night Lights, "The Son": Here lies a funny, funny man

Matt will be back for a bit more after a break of a few episodes, that´s good to hear.

Just yesterday i rewatched a couple seson 1 episodes, still gets me.

Last edited by whomario : 12-15-2009 at 04:26 AM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 04:35 AM   #239
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

So I read this won't be available till the summer on NBC. Any other options for watching this show for someone without a Dish?
Old 12-21-2009, 09:02 PM   #240
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
So I read this won't be available till the summer on NBC. Any other options for watching this show for someone without a Dish?

I just downloaded them all through bittorrent and watched them on the plane to Seattle.
Old 01-15-2010, 05:39 PM   #241
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Just got through the 5th episode. Wow. Zach Gilford is unbelievable. If this guy doesn't become a huge star than there is something wrong with Hollywood. Any mention of him for an Emmy as supporting actor? He hit every emotion perfectly, every nuance. Just an amazing performance.

Spoiler

Last edited by RainMaker : 01-15-2010 at 07:43 PM.
Old 01-15-2010, 07:44 PM   #242
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Spoiler
Old 01-18-2010, 04:45 PM   #243
Pyser
Pro Rookie

loving the wire connections this season. both in themes and casting.
Old 02-02-2010, 01:00 PM   #244
Pyser
Pro Rookie

this show gets more and more wirelike every ep this season.

only 2 left, and its GOOD.

i feel like im talking to myself in this thread
Old 02-02-2010, 01:01 PM   #245
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Yeah i was bummed when i watched last week's episode and realized there were only 2 more left this season. So much to be wrapped up in just two episodes.
Old 02-02-2010, 01:10 PM   #246
spleen1015
Coordinator

Is this airing on NBC again this year?
Old 02-02-2010, 01:11 PM   #247
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Yea starting April 30th
Old 02-11-2010, 07:09 AM   #248
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Report: Fifth Season of Friday Night Lights Will Be Its Last - TV Ratings, Nielsen Ratings, Television Show Ratings | TVbytheNumbers.com

Michael Ausiello reports that when production ends on Friday Night Lights’ fifth season this June, it will be lights out for the series.

Last season NBC/DirecTV gave the show a 26 episode renewal broken up into two seasons. The fourth season is currently airing on DirecTV and will begin airing on NBC in a few months.

Though NBC isn’t confirming anything, Ausiello cites “multiple sources” confirming that the show will end production for good when season five wraps up.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:20 AM   #249
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Read that yesterday...bit of a bummer because I like the show so much.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:29 AM   #250
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

I don't think that's much of a surprise as I thought it was real lucky to even get the 4th and 5th seasons. Great show that can go off on a high note.