Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-22-2004, 03:52 AM   #201
Vince
Pro Starter

Well, I'm hoping one player falls to me as well (and doubting it)...but I'm happy with my last two picks, so I don't think I would have taken him with either of them.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 04:39 AM   #202
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Olsen and Dickerson are both very good picks. I was considering Olsen, but figured Lilly and Jones should be enough for the D-Line.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 05:26 AM   #203
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

This proved to be a very difficult draft slot for me to select in this round. So many ways I could go, with lots of pivotal selections probably going down after I'm done. But that's the way draft's go...

After chewing on the possibilities, I've decided to look toward the defensive backfield and go with the original bump-and-run monster,

CB Willie Brown
Old 01-22-2004, 05:31 AM   #204
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSUCougar
After chewing on the possibilities, I've decided to look toward the defensive backfield and go with the original bump-and-run monster,

CB Willie Brown

Blount did it better . So well he was the biggest reason they changed the rules.
Old 01-22-2004, 09:24 AM   #205
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Woohoo, on my lunch at work and it's my pick. Let's see how many "You bastard" comments I get this time...

When trying to decide who to select here, I once again wanted to get the person who would most positively impact my team. There's only 1 person that I can think of... A Super Bowl winner, a leader, someone that everyone else on the team would walk through walls for, and IMO the greatest coach in the history of the NFL...

Vince Lombardi, Coach
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 09:59 AM   #206
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubby
Woohoo, on my lunch at work and it's my pick. Let's see how many "You bastard" comments I get this time...
Lombardi was my first choice at coach, but I didn't think I'd be the first one to go after a head coach, so I never expected a chance to get him.

As for my pick, I've always believed that the 3-4 is the best defensive set to work from if, and only if, you have the talent at linebacker to run it. Having already selected Mike Singletary to man one of my ILB positions, I'll be selecting the other right now....

Ray Nitschke, LB

Leader of Lombardi's Green Bay defenses, Nitschke inspired his teammates with his all-out hustle and determination. Well known for his run-stuffing prowess, he also snagged 25 interceptions in his career. An obvious member of the Pro Football Hall of Fame, Nitschke was also honored by being named to the NFL's 75th anniversary All-Time team.

I dare any team to try and run on us now...

Last edited by VPI97 : 01-22-2004 at 10:00 AM.
VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 10:03 AM   #207
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

I like Comey's draft best so far.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 10:56 AM   #208
pskov
Mascot

Mumble mumble... VPI97.... mumble mumble.... Nitschke.... mumble... grrrr....mumble
pskov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 11:13 AM   #209
pskov
Mascot

Being able to pick a player at the top 3 in his position ever is a real luxury at this point in the draft (excluding kickers and punters ), hence why I would have leaped on either Blount or Nitschke (I was sure at least one of them would fall...) but there is someone who is still top 3 out there.

He won 3 championships and went to the pro bowl 8 times at two different positions. Johnny Unitas may have been the greatest QB ever, but it's tough to be a great passer if you're on your backside all day, and Unitas had one of the best making sure that didn't happen. (edit: He was a pretty nifty run blocker too) Ladies and gentlemen, hall of famer...

Jim Parker, T/G

Last edited by pskov : 01-22-2004 at 11:19 AM.
Old 01-22-2004, 11:18 AM   #210
pskov
Mascot

Just opened JAG's PM'ed list of picks to find he had Parker at the top of his! :o

Anyway, JAG selects:

Roosevelt Brown, T

Last edited by pskov : 01-22-2004 at 11:19 AM.
Old 01-22-2004, 11:20 AM   #211
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPI97
Ray Nitschke, LB
Almost took him instead of Brown.
Old 01-22-2004, 12:07 PM   #212
Noble_Platypus
College Prospect

Damn, I was going to take Parker with me next pick.But, since he isnt there I will take my alternate pick:
Rod Woodson
71 INTs and member of the All-Time NFL Team.Also a lock for 1st year induction into the HOF when he is eligible

Last edited by Noble_Platypus : 01-22-2004 at 12:09 PM.
Noble_Platypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 02:09 PM   #213
Vince
Pro Starter

Didn't think that Parker would last. Oh well...

Bishop: yeah, I figured with your set-up I could go Dickerson first, and that one of either Marchetti or Olsen would fall to me.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Old 01-22-2004, 02:44 PM   #214
mckerney
Coordinator

Sammy Baugh, QB
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 05:38 PM   #215
Danny
Head Coach

^^^^ Steal
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 05:44 PM   #216
Comey
College Starter

You know, I'd like a glut somewhere. And I'm shocked he's still around...so I *have* to do this.

With my pick, I take RB Gale Sayers. I figure with him returning punts and kickoffs, then with Barry Sanders and him alternating...the defense will be run into submission.

So...it's an odd pick, but one I don't want to pass up.

Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 05:49 PM   #217
Danny
Head Coach

Honestly, Im not thrilled at all with that pick Comey. With only 12 picks, to spend two on RB's, especially when one of these was taken with the 2nd pick in the draft is a mistake IMO.
Old 01-22-2004, 05:51 PM   #218
Comey
College Starter

I didn't expect it...but at least now I'm deep there. I still expect to have a balance of offense and defense...and I think my fifth-round pick will be there when it comes around. So...might as well have the depth.

Old 01-22-2004, 05:51 PM   #219
Vince
Pro Starter

Also, I was very tempted to take Nitschke and run a 3-4...but I figured that there weren't enough impact D-Linemen left.
Old 01-22-2004, 05:56 PM   #220
Danny
Head Coach

Had you known Sayers would be there at this point, would you have taken Rice, LT or Butkus in round 1?
Old 01-22-2004, 06:18 PM   #221
Comey
College Starter

Tough question...perhaps, perhaps not. I *probably* would have leaned towards Rice or Deacon Jones with the #2 overall pick, if I'd know Sayers would be there.

Old 01-22-2004, 07:44 PM   #222
TLK
Pro Starter

I was hoping for Sayers to drop here, and he almost did. So I'll pass on the running back for now and go with.....

Mike Webster-C

and

Emlen Tunnell-CB

Webster is a foundation to build an offensive line around. I also believe he was the best offensive lineman left. Tunnell is a double threat, both on defense (79 Int's for 1,282 yards)and special teams (262 punt returns for 2,217 yards).
TLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 08:06 PM   #223
Comey
College Starter

Webster's a great pick.

Old 01-22-2004, 08:12 PM   #224
Comey
College Starter

Okay...I'm up again...and I have a quandary. I want to go defense, but...one guy is still calling out to me.

So, with my pick...WR Lance Alworth. I need someone to go up and get throws from Otto Graham. Alworth's the man...arguably the best receiver after Jerry Rice.

-John

Old 01-22-2004, 08:23 PM   #225
mckerney
Coordinator

Forrest Gregg, OT
Old 01-22-2004, 08:31 PM   #226
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Moving into the last half-century now, are we? (don't mind me, I'm still mad you took Sammy Baugh)
Old 01-22-2004, 10:05 PM   #227
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP
Moving into the last half-century now, are we? (don't mind me, I'm still mad you took Sammy Baugh)

Yes, I figured some size could be added (though White is more recent than Gregg).

And did you really expect me to pass on a QB like Baugh in the 4th?

Steal.

Last edited by mckerney : 01-22-2004 at 10:08 PM.
Old 01-22-2004, 10:45 PM   #228
Noble_Platypus
College Prospect

Marino needs someone to throw to:
Steve Largent
Old 01-22-2004, 11:24 PM   #229
FargoFreez aka fof playa
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noble_Platypus
Marino needs someone to throw to:
Steve Largent

Stuart Scott: Steve, what gives? You're white.
FargoFreez aka fof playa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 11:30 PM   #230
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney
And did you really expect me to pass on a QB like Baugh in the 4th?

Steal.

I was thinking you were going to pick Otto Graham and I could steal Baugh late. Then just after I picked I noticed Graham was already gone and knew that strategy was doomed.
Old 01-23-2004, 06:42 AM   #231
pskov
Mascot

More quallity picks. I'm off to update the front page...
Old 01-23-2004, 06:48 AM   #232
pskov
Mascot

Right, we have a problem...

JAG PM'ed me a list of picks, but it was rather short and all the players have now gone. We're just going to have to wait for him I suppose.
Old 01-23-2004, 02:55 PM   #233
Vince
Pro Starter

Bummer we have to wait, but that's ok. Just a tasteful bump to keep this on the front page, and maybe invoke some chatting about the teams:

TheLionKing
QB Joe Montana
WR Don Hutson
C Mike Webster
LB Jack Ham
CB Emlen Tunnel

Comey
QB Otto Graham
RB Barry Sanders
RB Gale Sayers
WR Lance Allworth
CB Dick 'Night Train' Lane

McKerney
QB Sammy Baugh
RB Jim Thorpe
FB/DE Bronco Nagurski
T Forrest Gregg
DT Randy White

Noble Platypus
QB Dan Marino
RB Emmit Smith
WR Steve Largent
DE Bruce Smith
S Rod Woodson

JAG
QB Brett Favre
T Roosevelt Brown
DE Reggie White
CB Deion Sanders

pskov
RB O.J. Simpson
T/G Jim Parker
DE 'Mean' Joe Greene
LB Lawrence Taylor

VPI97
QB John Elway
RB Jim Brown
LB Mike Singletary
LB Ray Nitschke

Chubby
RB Walter Payton
LB Jack Lambert
S Ronnie Lott
HC Vince Lombardi

WSUCougar
QB Dan Fouts
WR Jerry Rice
DT Alan Page
CB Willie Brown

Vince
QB Johnny Unitas
RB Eric Dickerson
DT Merlin Olsen
LB Dick Butkus

Bearcat729
QB Steve Young
T Anthony Munoz
DE Gino Marchetti
LB Willie Lanier

BishopMVP
G John Hannah
DE Deacon Jones
DT Bob Lilly
CB Mel Blount

What do you guys think of the draft so far?
Old 01-24-2004, 07:42 PM   #234
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

JAGGY JAGGY DOO, where are you?

bump
VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2004, 10:03 PM   #235
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Cut the JAGster a little slack...he's getting married this weekend.
Old 01-24-2004, 10:37 PM   #236
BishopMVP
Coordinator

He sent me a list also, only to be opened if his original was too short. I won't reveal the other players on it, but number one on the list was getting a coach. So I am proud to annouce that, in accordance with his wishes, JAG picks Rich Kotite, Coach.
Old 01-25-2004, 04:30 AM   #237
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP
He sent me a list also, only to be opened if his original was too short. I won't reveal the other players on it, but number one on the list was getting a coach. So I am proud to annouce that, in accordance with his wishes, JAG picks Rich Kotite, Coach.

you can't possibly be serious...
Old 01-25-2004, 10:06 AM   #238
Comey
College Starter

Crap.

*gets ready to pick Ray Handley*

Old 01-25-2004, 11:21 AM   #239
pskov
Mascot

Now that is an off base choice... lol

Last edited by pskov : 01-25-2004 at 11:23 AM.
Old 01-25-2004, 03:13 PM   #240
judicial clerk
College Benchwarmer

Great thread. very entertaining. Here are my unsolicited thoughts almost halfway through.

Best team so far: Vince. Three of his four picks are arguably the best ever at their respective positions.

Worst team: can't say they are all so good.

Best pick so far: maybe BishopMVP picking up Mel Blount and John Hannah back to back.

Worst Pick: runner up is Chubby's Gayle Sayers pick after already getting Barry Sanders. I also am not a huge fan of Sayers and he didn't play very long. I like even less, however, WSU Couger's pick of Dan Fouts in the second round. I think there were better QB's available at the time (and maybe still available) and I bet Fouts could have been picked up a round or two later. Altogether, I do like WSU Cougar's team. You just better pick up Art Shell or somebody to be Fouts bodyguard.
judicial clerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2004, 03:15 PM   #241
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by judicial clerk
Great thread. very entertaining. Here are my unsolicited thoughts almost halfway through.

Best team so far: Vince. Three of his four picks are arguably the best ever at their respective positions.

Worst team: can't say they are all so good.

Best pick so far: maybe BishopMVP picking up Mel Blount and John Hannah back to back.

Worst Pick: runner up is Chubby's Gayle Sayers pick after already getting Barry Sanders. I also am not a huge fan of Sayers and he didn't play very long. I like even less, however, WSU Couger's pick of Dan Fouts in the second round. I think there were better QB's available at the time (and maybe still available) and I bet Fouts could have been picked up a round or two later. Altogether, I do like WSU Cougar's team. You just better pick up Art Shell or somebody to be Fouts bodyguard.

AHEM, me thinks you need to look at the rosters again. I have neither Sayers or Sanders
Old 01-25-2004, 03:17 PM   #242
Vince
Pro Starter

Sweet, I have a fan. Best team so far
Old 01-25-2004, 09:39 PM   #243
judicial clerk
College Benchwarmer

Chubby...Comey, it is hard to keep you guys straight. I like Chubby's team as well. Ronnie Lott was a nice pickup who fell farther than he should have. I would have picked Paul Brown over Lombardi, however, can't go wrong with Lombardi.
judicial clerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2004, 09:50 PM   #244
Desnudo
Coordinator

I can't believe no one's picked Steve Grogan yet.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2004, 10:07 PM   #245
Comey
College Starter

Remember, I took Sayers because he had ridiculous PR/KR return skills. Also, with two RBs of this caliber...going at a defense for 60 minutes...my offense is unstoppable (at least in theory).

Old 01-25-2004, 10:26 PM   #246
BishopMVP
Coordinator

The Returner angle is a good one, but I think for the 2 RB Committee there were/are better ones out there to complement Sanders with.
Old 01-25-2004, 11:06 PM   #247
Comey
College Starter

Oh, I don't doubt that there were. I just felt that two RB who were comparable in moves and shiftyness...the defense just would get tired more quickly, seeing that run after run after run.

It also makes the screen a lot more useful, given Sayers' 11.6 yards-per-reception stat.

Old 01-25-2004, 11:12 PM   #248
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Sorry everyone...I'm going to be gone this Thursday through Sunday as well and will give pskov a much bigger list this time around.

Bishop: I died laughing when I read Kotite for my pick. Could've made some Bears fans happier if you had chosen John Shoop to be my offensive coordinator.

And damn, can't believe I missed out on Jim Parker by one pick...at least Brown was pretty good consolation as one of the founders for modern day offensive line play and should help keep Favre upright. Incidently, even though I'd say I really like 3 or so teams so far, I like pskov's best (we'll see who he takes for a QB though...). Except for my team, which I'm really quite happy with.

Now that I've started building a defense and offense (and special teams with Deion) with some good foundation blocks, it's time to pick an RB. We need a guy who can do it all: block well, run well, catch well. We also want someone who's mentally tough enough to endure the likes of which Jackie Robinson went through. We want a guy who ran football's first draw play. Let's also get a guy who could play LB well (a source no less than Paul Brown himself said that had he played this guy solely as a linebacker, he would've entered the HOF at that position). To get all this, we'll have to journey way back to the time of mckerney and select Marion Motley, RB/LB.

How good was he? I leave you with a quote from Paul Brown: "If Jim [Brown] had worked on his blocking, he would've been as great as Motley." That sounds like the kind of all-around back I want.

pskov, you are (finally!) on the clock! Thanks again for your patience everyone.
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2004, 11:14 PM   #249
Vince
Pro Starter

Hey, I think a wedding is a good enough excuse for us to wait. No worries.
Old 01-25-2004, 11:43 PM   #250
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Shucks. When I was telling Comey about the person I would have used to complement Barry Sanders with, I was thinking Marion Motley. Great pick.