Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-16-2006, 05:12 PM   #201
vex
Grizzled Veteran

3.8 - Oscar Robertson - Basketball

Averaged 25.7 PPG, 9.5 APG, and 7.5 RPG, over his career.

Not to mention the feat of averaging a triple-double over an entire season, his second season at that.

Last edited by vex : 01-16-2006 at 05:17 PM.
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 05:36 PM   #202
Travis
Pro Rookie

3.9 - Babe Didrikson Zaharias - Wildcard

I'm assuming that even though it isn't a requirement, that we are still eligible to select a female athlete. If not, let me know and I'll repick.

Story 1

Story 2

Story 3

A few quotes about the lesser known Babe:

"She stunned the athletic world on July 16, 1932, with her performance at the national amateur track meet for women in Evanston, Illinois. Didrikson entered the meet as the sole member of the Golden Cyclone team and by herself won the national women's team championship by scoring 30 points.

The Illinois Women's Athletic Club, which had more than 20 members, scored a total of 22 points to place second. In all, Didrikson won six gold medals and broke four world records in a single afternoon.

Her performance was the most amazing feat by any individual, male or female, in the annals of track-and-field history. Victories in the javelin throw, hurdles, and high jump qualified her to enter the 1932 Olympic Games in Los Angeles.

At Los Angeles, Didrikson won two gold medals and a silver medal, set a world's record, and was the co-holder of two others. She won the javelin event and the 80-meter hurdles and came in second in the high-jump event amid a controversy that saw two rulings of the judges go against her because she went over the bar head first, a foul at that time.

Due to her performances in track and field, she was voted Woman Athlete of the Year in 1932 by the Associated Press. During her illustrious track and field career she would be entered in 634 events and win all but 12."

---------------------------

"In 1934, Didrikson went to Florida and appeared in major league exhibition baseball games during spring training. In one game she pitched to and struck out the famous Joe DiMaggio. "

"During the 1946-1947 seasons, Zaharias won 17 straight tournaments, including the British Women's Amateur in which she became the first American to win it since it's inception. This string of consecutive tournament victories is a record that has never been equaled by man or woman.

In the summer of 1947, Zaharias turned professional once again and in 1948, she helped organize the Ladies Professional Golfer's Association (LPGA) in order to help popularize women's golf and increase tournament prize money. During the next several years, the LPGA grew in stature and Zaharias became the leading money winner on the women's professional circuit."

"In the spring of 1953, doctors discovered that Zaharias had cancer. She underwent a colostomy to remove cancerous tissue.

Zaharius played in a golf tournament only 14 weeks after the surgery. She played well enough the remainder of the year to win the Ben Hogan Comeback of the Year Award.

In 1954, Zaharias won five tournaments, including the United States Women's Open, and earned her sixth Woman Athlete of the Year Award. "

Sorry for the relatively lengthy backup arguements, but I know this'll probably be a pick that a lot of people won't necessarily be familiar with so figured I'd better give a lot of info up front to help myself out
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 05:54 PM   #203
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis
3.9 - Babe Didrikson Zaharias - Wildcard

I'm assuming that even though it isn't a requirement, that we are still eligible to select a female athlete. If not, let me know and I'll repick.

Story 1

Story 2

Story 3

A few quotes about the lesser known Babe:

"She stunned the athletic world on July 16, 1932, with her performance at the national amateur track meet for women in Evanston, Illinois. Didrikson entered the meet as the sole member of the Golden Cyclone team and by herself won the national women's team championship by scoring 30 points.

The Illinois Women's Athletic Club, which had more than 20 members, scored a total of 22 points to place second. In all, Didrikson won six gold medals and broke four world records in a single afternoon.

Her performance was the most amazing feat by any individual, male or female, in the annals of track-and-field history. Victories in the javelin throw, hurdles, and high jump qualified her to enter the 1932 Olympic Games in Los Angeles.

At Los Angeles, Didrikson won two gold medals and a silver medal, set a world's record, and was the co-holder of two others. She won the javelin event and the 80-meter hurdles and came in second in the high-jump event amid a controversy that saw two rulings of the judges go against her because she went over the bar head first, a foul at that time.

Due to her performances in track and field, she was voted Woman Athlete of the Year in 1932 by the Associated Press. During her illustrious track and field career she would be entered in 634 events and win all but 12."

"In 1934, Didrikson went to Florida and appeared in major league exhibition baseball games during spring training. In one game she pitched to and struck out the famous Joe DiMaggio. "

"During the 1946-1947 seasons, Zaharias won 17 straight tournaments, including the British Women's Amateur in which she became the first American to win it since it's inception. This string of consecutive tournament victories is a record that has never been equaled by man or woman.

In the summer of 1947, Zaharias turned professional once again and in 1948, she helped organize the Ladies Professional Golfer's Association (LPGA) in order to help popularize women's golf and increase tournament prize money. During the next several years, the LPGA grew in stature and Zaharias became the leading money winner on the women's professional circuit."

"In the spring of 1953, doctors discovered that Zaharias had cancer. She underwent a colostomy to remove cancerous tissue.

Zaharius played in a golf tournament only 14 weeks after the surgery. She played well enough the remainder of the year to win the Ben Hogan Comeback of the Year Award.

In 1954, Zaharias won five tournaments, including the United States Women's Open, and earned her sixth Woman Athlete of the Year Award. "

Sorry for the relatively lengthy backup arguements, but I know this'll probably be a pick that a lot of people won't necessarily be familiar with so figured I'd better give a lot of info up front to help myself out

And she was she was #10 on ESPN's Top Athletes of the Century List.
Old 01-16-2006, 05:56 PM   #204
Huckleberry
College Starter

And she was a Texan. You've got my vote.

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 06:11 PM   #205
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

The Maple Leafs trade their fourth and sixth round picks to vtbub for his third and eighth round picks.

The Maple Leafs use pick 3.10 to draft Walter Payton, football.

Last edited by Maple Leafs : 01-16-2006 at 06:17 PM.
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 06:19 PM   #206
vtbub
College Starter

Confirmed

vtbub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 06:24 PM   #207
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19
Eh ... since the pool in one sport is getting a bit thin, I'll go for another character guy:

Mark Messier - hockey

Wayne Gretzky doesn't have his name on the Cup with Messier next to it, and Messier did him one better by breaking The Curse. At the top of most career leaderboards. This guy bled hockey.
Nice pick. Right now, other than my own team (which I'm prejudiced towards), I like your team the best so far.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 06:26 PM   #208
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs
The Maple Leafs trade their fourth and sixth round picks to vtbub for his third and eighth round picks.

The Maple Leafs use pick 3.10 to draft Walter Payton, football.
Strange strategy to trade picks at this point when there are so many players left on the board, but nice pick.
Old 01-16-2006, 06:37 PM   #209
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

okay i'm ready for my snaked picks. as soon as 3 (11) goes I'll have mine up!
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 06:48 PM   #210
DeToxRox
Head Coach

3.11 - Lawerence Taylor (football)
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 06:50 PM   #211
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRoxDVHStyle
3.11 - Lawerence Taylor (football)
Damn. Was going to take him with my next pick.
Old 01-16-2006, 06:55 PM   #212
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

3 (12) - Eddy Merckx (wildcard...cycling)

4 (1) - Bobby Hull (Hockey)

Career Info for Merckx

Baron Eddy Merckx is considered by many to be the greatest cyclist of all-time, and an icon of his sport equal to the likes of Muhammad Ali, Michael Jordan or Pelé. He is five-time champion of the two most important races in professional cycling, the Tour de France and the Giro d'Italia, is one of only four cyclists to have won all three of the Grand Tours (Tour, Giro and Vuelta a España), and one of only two men to have won the Triple Crown of Cycling (Tour, Giro, and the World Cycling Championship) in the same year. In addition, he is one of only three riders (all Belgian) to have won all five classic cycle races at least once during his career, and won the season-long Super Prestige Pernod International competition a record seven consecutive times. Overall, Merckx entered 1582 road races in his 13 year professional career, and won 525—an astonishing winning rate of 35.5%. He dominated both single-day and stage races during his career, a rarity in recent cycling.

Significant victories by race

• 5x Tour de France, 34 stage wins
  • 5x Giro d'Italia, 24 stage wins
  • 1x Vuelta a España, 6 stage wins

Other tours

Classic cycle races

World titles

Track races

Bobby Hull

Let's not forget to add in Hull's WHL career stats to the package, which leaves him with 913 goals, 895 assists in 1474 games (1808 pts). And the fact that he was the marquee draw for the WHL in its infancy.
Old 01-16-2006, 06:56 PM   #213
DeToxRox
Head Coach

4.2 - Cal Ripken Jr (Baseball)
Old 01-16-2006, 07:35 PM   #214
vtbub
College Starter

Emmitt Smith-Football

Old 01-16-2006, 07:36 PM   #215
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtbub
Emmitt Smith-Football
Nice pick, but does it include his offensive line? Just kidding.
Old 01-16-2006, 08:30 PM   #216
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Emmitt Smith-Football
drat. gotta cross him off my list of people i would have picked
Old 01-16-2006, 08:32 PM   #217
oykib
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRoxDVHStyle
4.2 - Cal Ripken Jr (Baseball)

That's almost as much of a reach as Nolan Ryan, maybe more. The problem with both of these guys is that, when they were in their primes, had you asked who the best player in baseball was, nobody would likely have named either of them.

Regarding other picks made since my last snipe from the peanut gallery...

Loved the Zaharias and Robertson picks. They'd have been players i'd have picked around this spot.

Howe was a great pick. With him you're getting a clear #1. At least for his era of hockey. There's no way Gretzky would've been as good as him in his era. Of course I'd probably have to say that the reverse is also true.

Messier was good. But I'm a Rangers fan and may be a bit biased. There was probably another NHLer that was better than Mess still on the board.

Can't argue with LT, as he revolutionized the sport. But what is Payton, like the third or fourth NFL RB taken? Not that he's the fourth best, but I'd have gone for a clear #1 at a position first. The same goes for Smith-- only more emphatically.

Russell was a great pick as well.
oykib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 08:47 PM   #218
DeToxRox
Head Coach

I understand about Ripken .. but as far as athlete .. what he did with his streak is just unreal.

It takes a true athlete to be able to do that, and I think no one will ever break that one.
Old 01-16-2006, 09:02 PM   #219
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by oykib
But what is Payton, like the third or fourth NFL RB taken? Not that he's the fourth best, but I'd have gone for a clear #1 at a position first.
But who? Remember, this is a popular vote. QB is the glamor position, but there's no clear #1 guy there. Rice is already taken. Taylor is a good pick. Beyond that, who can you take that's #1 at a position and meant more to his team (and will get more votes) than the #3 RB? You could make an argument for some DEs, but I don't think even the clearcut best ever OL, DB, DT or kicker (if there was one) is a good value pick at this stage.
Old 01-16-2006, 11:50 PM   #220
Travis
Pro Rookie

4.4 - Hank Aaron - Baseball

Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 04:03 AM   #221
vex
Grizzled Veteran

4.5 - Joe DiMaggio - Baseball
Old 01-17-2006, 04:14 AM   #222
ThunderingHERD
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vexroid
4.5 - Joe DiMaggio - Baseball

most overrated baseball player ever.

"Everyone's a voyeurist--they're watching me watch them watch me right now."
ThunderingHERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 05:05 AM   #223
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderingHERD

most overrated baseball player ever.

Yeah, you're right.

Lifetime .325 average, .978 fielding %, 3 time MVP, 13 time allstar, hit 361 HRs while only striking out 369 times in his career.

Oh, yeah, some 56 game hitting streak.

Overrated?

Hardly.
Old 01-17-2006, 05:41 AM   #224
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis
4.4 - Hank Aaron - Baseball

Crap. Nice pick.
Old 01-17-2006, 07:02 AM   #225
oykib
College Starter

Quote:
But who? Remember, this is a popular vote. QB is the glamor position, but there's no clear #1 guy there. Rice is already taken. Taylor is a good pick. Beyond that, who can you take that's #1 at a position and meant more to his team (and will get more votes) than the #3 RB? You could make an argument for some DEs, but I don't think even the clearcut best ever OL, DB, DT or kicker (if there was one) is a good value pick at this stage.

Well... I'm not supposed to say who. But there is a QB with unparalleled credentials still on the board. But that's not where I'm going.

If you're taking a RB, why not wait until near the end of the draft? There's not much to seperate the guys that are left. There's no value in RBs this early in the draft. I think Brown's your clear #1, with maybe Barry at #2. But after that, there are a lot of guys that are bunched together.

If you're going big four-- especially big three-- early, you've got to get a clear #1 for value. It's where we are all knowledgeable. The value picks later should be pretty close. But can you really greatly seperate Smith and Payton?

LT is a great pick because there's no other outside linebacker in the same league as him. No one even close as a matter of fact.

Staying with the football theme, I read an article that the four highest paid positions in the NFL are QB, DL, OL, and CB. Of those positions, only QB has been taken so far. That means that the best player at three of the four most important positions are still on the board while five players have already been taken at a less important position.
Old 01-17-2006, 07:52 AM   #226
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
If you're going big four-- especially big three-- early, you've got to get a clear #1 for value. It's where we are all knowledgeable.
And yet you like the Messier pick, when he's light years behind Lemieux and Gretzky at the position at a sport with a much smaller following? At least with the RBs there's some debate. You wouldn't find a hockey fan alive who'd take Messier over Gretzky. (Well, OK, Stan Fishler, but he doesn't count).
Old 01-17-2006, 08:15 AM   #227
oykib
College Starter

Quote:
And yet you like the Messier pick, when he's light years behind Lemieux and Gretzky at the position at a sport with a much smaller following? At least with the RBs there's some debate. You wouldn't find a hockey fan alive who'd take Messier over Gretzky. (Well, OK, Stan Fishler, but he doesn't count).

I admitted my bias toward Mess. But if you ask who was the greatest captain in Hockey, the answer is Messier. The stats put him behind Gretsky,
Lemieux, and Howe. He also went behind all of those guys. But most people give him a bonus for his leadership skills.

I'm also going on the assumption that many people's Hockey knowledge only goes three to six players deep. Considering that you need two of them, it's not nearly as much of a reach if you get a guy who everyone nows and respects.

Last edited by oykib : 01-17-2006 at 08:17 AM.
Old 01-17-2006, 09:27 AM   #228
kcchief19
Pro Starter

In keeping with my current trend ...

Lou Gehrig - Baseball

The original Ironman, only better. A career .340 with 493 homeruns who was forced out of baseball at just 35. Here's the thing I always considered remarkable about Gehrig: The average ALS victim lives 2-5 years, and Gehrig died just over two years of his official diagnosis. Given his youthfullness and strength, it's likely that Gehrig at least was suffering the effects of the disease in 1938 when he hit .295 and completed his 13th straight season of 100 runs scored and 100 RBI. But there are accounts that Gehrig was reporting symptoms indicative of ALS in 1937 when he hit .351 with 37 homers and 159 RBI. That means he was playing at an all-star, even a near MVP caliber, level all the while his muscles were being shredded.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 09:28 AM   #229
vtbub
College Starter

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar-Basketball

Old 01-17-2006, 09:35 AM   #230
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
In keeping with my current trend ...
White people?
Old 01-17-2006, 09:37 AM   #231
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
I'm also going on the assumption that many people's Hockey knowledge only goes three to six players deep. Considering that you need two of them, it's not nearly as much of a reach if you get a guy who everyone nows and respects.
That was EXACTLY my reasoning in taking Messier when I did. I felt there was much more value in taking someone like Messier who may be distant behind Gretzky, Howe and Lemieux but is still arguably one of the top five hockey players in terms of achievement, name recognition and popularity. I got Messier as the 7th hockey player taken, and I think that even the 24th football or baseball player taken will be on par or better in value.

Cal Ripken may prove to be a more popular pick than Gehrig given their eras, but to me it's crazy to rate Ripken ahead of him. They were both know for exactly the same thing in terms of playing streaks, but Gehrig was simply significantly better. Had he not been stricken with ALS, I think Gehrig easily clears 600 homers and probably gets close to 3,500 hits.
Old 01-17-2006, 09:39 AM   #232
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
White people?
Not exactly the trend I was noting. Great. Now I'll look like a fool when I take [Grant Fuhr's name deleted because he hasn't been selected yet] with my next pick.

Last edited by kcchief19 : 01-17-2006 at 09:40 AM.
Old 01-17-2006, 09:44 AM   #233
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Not exactly the trend I was noting. Great. Now I'll look like a fool when I take [Grant Fuhr's name deleted because he hasn't been selected yet] with my next pick.
Oh, I see... so you can welcome a black man into your clubhouse only if he covers his face with a mask? Is that how it is?
Old 01-17-2006, 09:59 AM   #234
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:

Bub, it's my pick first. This puts me in a bad postion as that was my pick.
Old 01-17-2006, 10:02 AM   #235
Schmidty
Coordinator

Now I don't know what the hell to do. I look bad if I take my first choice (Jabbar), but it's really not my fault. Give me a few minutes. I guess I'll pick someone else.
Old 01-17-2006, 10:05 AM   #236
Johnny93g
College Starter

People, there is no s Gretzky, that is all, continue with this entertaining draft
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 10:06 AM   #237
oykib
College Starter

Quote:

And the last great basketball player goes off the board.
Old 01-17-2006, 10:08 AM   #238
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
And the last great basketball player goes off the board.

And it pisses me off since it was my pick and the pick I was about to make.

I feel like waiting to pick until I get more feedback on what I should do.
Old 01-17-2006, 10:09 AM   #239
vtbub
College Starter

My mistake, your pick.

Old 01-17-2006, 10:12 AM   #240
vtbub
College Starter

Schmidty, take him, no big whoop

Old 01-17-2006, 10:15 AM   #241
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

I think Schmidty should take the basketball player, but give vtbub the former Dolphin's running back.
Old 01-17-2006, 10:18 AM   #242
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
My mistake, your pick.

Bah, it was an honest mistake. Even though it's not really fair, I look bad now if I take Jabbar.

Well, I guess I'll pick one of the greatest QBs ever:

4.7 Johnny Unitas - Football
Old 01-17-2006, 10:19 AM   #243
Schmidty
Coordinator

Go ahead and repost your pick Bubster.
Old 01-17-2006, 10:23 AM   #244
vtbub
College Starter

U have a pm.

Old 01-17-2006, 10:34 AM   #245
vtbub
College Starter

Quote:
Deja Vu.

Old 01-17-2006, 11:07 AM   #246
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Maybe Vtbub should be forced to trade up one pick for picking ahead of time.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 01:20 PM   #247
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Oh, I see... so you can welcome a black man into your clubhouse only if he covers his face with a mask? Is that how it is?
Only if he also carries a first basemen's mitt.

Last edited by kcchief19 : 01-17-2006 at 01:20 PM.
Old 01-17-2006, 02:47 PM   #248
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

With the 9th pick in the fourth round, Team Taz selects

Roger Clemens, baseball
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 04:13 PM   #249
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo
3 (12) - Eddy Merckx (wildcard...cycling)

[Resume]
That's what I ment when I said Lance Armstrong is clearly not the best ever.
There are a few more who can be claimed to be better all-time than Armstrong, but it's widely unaccepted to even question whether Eddy Merckx was the best ever.

I hope I didn't trigger that one though.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 06:23 PM   #250
General Mike
Pro Starter

4.10 Reggie White, football

Take that MotherFers.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote