Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Closed Thread

Old 12-03-2003, 02:01 AM   #201
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Man, why do all the good threads happen while I am at work? The HTML one happened while I was offline, too, and the thread about Gary's unfortunate tragedy. And I was even mentioned in this one.

I just wanted to say that, as SkyDog pointed out, I took issue with his decision to close that thread, but after hearing his explanation of why he did it, I understood that it wasn't what I feared (him stopping discussion of his moderation, which should always be a public discussion topic), but another issue altogether unrelated to that that I do not feel is necessary to get into here.

I still believe that the conditions under which skippy was brought back were too harsh, as I do not think anyone can realistically avoid controversy here and yet still get much out of this community. Dontroversy, debate and discussion are part-and-parcel of the give-and-take that goes on here. I feel that skippy was going to end up banned under those conditions eventually, no matter what. It's simply too hard for any of us to avoid it here, at least if we post fairly regualrly.

That said, skippy agreed to those conditions and then violated them. SkyDog was perfectly in his rights to suspend him again, as he warned him of the conditions and skippy was fully aware of them. As I told SkyDog in that thread and privately, I fully support that decision and that it was his decision to make. I also appreciate that he felt strongly enough that my opinion mattered with regards to that thread that he would take the time to expalin his actions there.

As for that HTML thread, I do feel skippy was baited heavily there, and I was amazed he kept his cool as long as he did. I also feel he didn't go to nearly the lengths he used to in threads like those. I agree that he should be banned on the pure basis that he violated the conditions that SkyDog set out for him, but I still believe that, sans those conditions, skippy's actions that led to his banning by and of themselves did not merit such a punishment.

I am like Marmel. I agree with almost all of SkyDog's decisions, but not all of them. All I know is for the most part those decisions dont' affect me and I believe that they are being made with the good of the community in mind. And it cannot be denied that this remains a very open forum and community, which is in no small part a credit to SkyDog's moderation.

druez, honestly, you have no idea whatsoever what skippy has done here in the past. The depth of your ignorance of that is infintesimal. I can't even begin to lay it all out. You had to be there. I agree with you (as I said) that his recent actions by themselves don't merit a banning, but there is far more to this than meets the eye. skippy is on a much, much tighter leash than most of the rest of us. When you're that close to the fire, it's a good idea to avoid playing with explosives, don't you think? skippy ignored that danger and he got burned.

Obviously, there is a healthy following for FOF here. But frankly, you are also just as ignorant of what makes this board tick as you are of skippy's past transgressions. This is a text sim board. Not an FOF board. It merely began as a support board for FOF a long, long time ago, and evolved over the years into something far more inclusive of the text sim community in general.

I am sorry if you feel we aren't ass-kissing .400 all the time, or that some of us might have more of a connection to Jim and the FOF series after all these years. I think .400 has some great developers working for it, and they have some good ideas. I am looking forward to them progressing as a company, and, assuming I get over Joe's recent rant (still haven't really), I'll be in line for .400 products just as quickly as FOF or other quality text sims.

I tihnk with a little more time here, you will see we are a much more open community than you give us credit for, and really, there are some times when you really need to STFU yourself and just open your ears.

The fact that you have been just itching for a fight for 3-4 days now is blatantly obvious, and it's a pain. You really need to question yourself about why you're so angry that you need to take part in this destructive behavior.

CR

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 12-03-2003, 02:04 AM   #202
FargoFreez aka fof playa
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Ronnie Dobbs2
They can be easily identified by their 3K+ Member Number and lack of quality input.

Yeah, what he said.

Wuz inpoot? input sery

Old 12-03-2003, 02:21 AM   #203
SnowMan
High School Varsity

*yawn*
Old 12-03-2003, 02:37 AM   #204
Easy Mac

I heard Skydog has a flaccid penis... dammit, why do I sleep through the good threads.
Old 12-03-2003, 02:56 AM   #205
Suicane75
Coordinator

Every frigin night i sit here and nobody posts.
Like 5 people are signed in all thru the damn night and nobody posts. I decide, "hey i'm tired, i might as well get some sleep, it's 10pm .
I wake up and this is what I come back to? It's like getting a call from hot chick you've been pineing after for months and she tells you she was drunk last night knocking on your door at 3 in the morning but you were sound asleep. Son Of A Bitch!
Old 12-03-2003, 03:09 AM   #206
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by Suicane75
Every frigin night i sit here and nobody posts.
Like 5 people are signed in all thru the damn night and nobody posts. I decide, "hey i'm tired, i might as well get some sleep, it's 10pm .
I wake up and this is what I come back to? It's like getting a call from hot chick you've been pineing after for months and she tells you she was drunk last night knocking on your door at 3 in the morning but you were sound asleep. Son Of A Bitch!

I'm here for you. But not anymore. G'night.
Old 12-03-2003, 03:21 AM   #207
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by mckerney
I'm here for you. But not anymore. G'night.

Tease
Old 12-03-2003, 06:43 AM   #208
Bee
Pro Starter

I miss the wigs...

Edit:
There wasn't a reference to the wigs, and I thought it was needed to cover all the bases.

Last edited by Bee : 12-03-2003 at 06:43 AM.
Old 12-03-2003, 06:46 AM   #209
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

So do I.

Fortunately, ammo is cheap (grin)
Old 12-03-2003, 06:47 AM   #210
Blade6119
Coordinator

we also need a little HM:

Wow, that was both cocky and funny!
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Old 12-03-2003, 06:59 AM   #211
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Chief:

That was a long ass post.
Old 12-03-2003, 07:04 AM   #212
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Have you read many posts by Chief? He was just getting warmed up!
Old 12-03-2003, 07:20 AM   #213
ice4277
Pro Rookie

I miss all the good threads when they happen, but at least they keep me entertained at work during downtime.
Old 12-03-2003, 07:30 AM   #214
WillyWTE
n00b

skippy is a weiner.
Old 12-03-2003, 07:38 AM   #215
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally posted by Buccaneer
How long till someone speaks the truth in saying Nirvana is the most overrated, suckiest band ever created?

Will you marry me?
Old 12-03-2003, 07:39 AM   #216
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by druez

What I have a problem with is the inconsistancy of it all. I see posts where people say FU so and so. Or, sarcastic comments all the time, but nothing is done.

Damn Gator fans. I agree. FSU fans should get their fair say too.
Old 12-03-2003, 07:40 AM   #217
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by illinifan999
Chief:

Have to agree with Foz there. You don't know me too well, eh? That was at best average, and maybe even a little short for me.

CR

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 12-03-2003, 07:48 AM   #218
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally posted by sabotai
mrskippy had a tendency to make lengthy posts arguing points that no one was debating.

Wow, after reading this, I think we need an FOFC graveyard. This needs to be Kippy's headstone.
Old 12-03-2003, 08:29 AM   #219
Bonegavel
Awaiting Further Instructions...

I hate it when I go to bed early. Miss all the fun.
Old 12-03-2003, 08:30 AM   #220
Subby
lolzcat

It is amazing that a small program like KippyBot - designed by the military to destory message boards of known international terrorist organizations - could actually be used here in the U.S. as a means of uniting members of message boards behind a common goal.

Is your board experiencing some discontent? Getting stale?

UNLEASH KIPPYBOT!
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Old 12-03-2003, 08:45 AM   #221
Bonegavel

What I don't get, however, is when people mention that they will just come back through IP spoofing or posting at work and that somehow this is bad. if they actually come back to the board under a different alias and don't act all Kippy-like, isn't that good?

Personally, I think that even if Kipster would come back under another name, he would eventually slip up and start acting like himself again and be banned no matter what name he appeared as.

Old 12-03-2003, 08:57 AM   #222
Bonegavel

Quote:
Originally posted by illinifan999
Chief:

Chief is that guy in the meeting that you hope doesn't open his mouth, because if he does, the meeting either lasts the whole alloted time or goes into OT.
Old 12-03-2003, 08:58 AM   #223
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Most disturbing moment in this thread:
Quote:
Originally posted by Chief Rum
I am like Marmel.
Old 12-03-2003, 08:59 AM   #224
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

I am Spartacus.
Old 12-03-2003, 08:59 AM   #225
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally posted by Bonegavel
Personally, I think that even if Kipster would come back under another name, he would eventually slip up and start acting like himself again and be banned no matter what name he appeared as.
Well, it sort of happened that way once. After one of his suspensions was over, I suggested to him that if he wanted to become a regular member without all the baggage of mrskippy, he should just create a new account and avoid the behavior that caused him to become such a near-pariah in the first place. However, he couldn't control himself for very long, and people figured out who he was the first time he went off on one of his patented, logic-free rants. {Sigh} I tried to help....

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 12-03-2003 at 09:01 AM.
Old 12-03-2003, 09:18 AM   #226
Samdari
Roster Filler

I am confused SkyDog.

Despite promising a pre-bedtime ban, druez posts list him as a Mascot rather than in the penalty box. Is this a mistake, or, in addition to being a dictator, are you a crappy one?

Your old title was better.
Old 12-03-2003, 09:20 AM   #227
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally posted by Samdari
I am confused SkyDog.

Despite promising a pre-bedtime ban, druez posts list him as a Mascot rather than in the penalty box. Is this a mistake, or, in addition to being a dictator, are you a crappy one?

Your old title was better.
I created a whole new user category for him actually. Rest assured, he can't post, PM, or anything else.

I won't keep this title for long. It just struck me as incredibly funny when I re-read the thread this morning...
Old 12-03-2003, 09:26 AM   #228
The Afoci
Pro Rookie

I pray you never use your light saber on me.

Black men scare me.
Old 12-03-2003, 09:32 AM   #229
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Ok, SkyDog's teh TRUE Dark Jedi, but must not there be balance to the Force?, who's Force is the Light Side type?
Old 12-03-2003, 09:37 AM   #230
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

I'd like to be a Jedi of LOVE...
Old 12-03-2003, 09:39 AM   #231
Subby
lolzcat

Mace Skydu
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

Old 12-03-2003, 09:52 AM   #232
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally posted by sachmo71
I'd like to be a Jedi of LOVE...

Can we call you Maurice instead?
Old 12-03-2003, 09:57 AM   #233
Subby
lolzcat

Cuervo you are a dicktaster sometimes.

Old 12-03-2003, 10:12 AM   #234
FishFan
College Prospect

Can someone give me a quick one minute summary of this thread? I'm too lazy to read five pages...
Old 12-03-2003, 10:15 AM   #235
The_herd
College Starter

It really is a thread you have to enjoy yourself, no summary could do it justice.
Old 12-03-2003, 10:26 AM   #236
zeurd the reborn
n00b

I am the jedi of light, sent down to save you all from skydog's evil powers.

For it is I the reborn who shall defend the weak and save your souls from the corruption of this dictator.

It is I who is reborn from the ashes, to come here with you all and rejoice in my life anew.

Seriously, this is one crazy thread. I came here to read about the FOF and I get this.

Is it always this entertaining around here?

Jedi of light,

zeurd the reborn.
Old 12-03-2003, 10:28 AM   #237
The_herd
College Starter

No, we just did that to show off, since there was a new person lurking and all.
Old 12-03-2003, 10:32 AM   #238
KWhit
Coordinator

This thread has it all.

Including a once-in-a-lifetime goodbye soliloquy. Think Kippy's "I will not accept a banning" re-imagined by Emily Dickenson. That was just off the charts.

The only thing that could make this thread better was if the title was "Skydog your a dictator sometimes."

Instant Classic
Old 12-03-2003, 10:34 AM   #239
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by zeurd the reborn
zeurd the reborn
Mascot

Member ID: 3206

Hmmmmm........
Old 12-03-2003, 10:40 AM   #240
3ric
College Starter

"The True Dark Jedi"? Does "Darth Vaughan" as Marc V is known as on the sigames.com forums, know about this?
Old 12-03-2003, 10:44 AM   #241
Bonegavel

Actually, if you take a peep at the pic of the flexible Skydog in the red, white, and blues, you can see that SD is the true "Dark" jedi. Not much SD can do about that, however.

Old 12-03-2003, 10:49 AM   #242
HornedFrog Purple
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by zeurd the reborn
I am the jedi of light, sent down to save you all from skydog's evil powers.

For it is I the reborn who shall defend the weak and save your souls from the corruption of this dictator.

It is I who is reborn from the ashes, to come here with you all and rejoice in my life anew.

Seriously, this is one crazy thread. I came here to read about the FOF and I get this.

Is it always this entertaining around here?

Jedi of light,

zeurd the reborn.

Should have tried afvse,biwtg or something....
Old 12-03-2003, 10:51 AM   #243
zeurd the reborn
n00b

Not sure what you are talking about? I'm a bit new to this stuff so please explain. I saw your link on the www.sportplanet.com site.
Old 12-03-2003, 10:53 AM   #244
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Hilarious thread. Skydog's new (temporary) title is also hilarious. I went to bed as this thread was evolving last night. It certainly didn't disappoint for a morning laugh.
Old 12-03-2003, 11:16 AM   #245
Franklinnoble
Banned

My two cents:

1. SkyDog DOES have an itchy trigger finger when it comes to throwing us hooligans in the penalty box.
2. It's not a democracy, and I'm not paying any money to be here, so that's fine by me.
3. Chances are, if you get banned around here, you've done something your momma would skin your ass for. Look in the mirror and ask yourself if you really want to be represented by what you wrote that got you banned.
4. My anus is burning.
Old 12-03-2003, 12:05 PM   #246
vex
Grizzled Veteran

I somehow missed this entire thread.
Old 12-03-2003, 12:11 PM   #247
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by vexroid
I somehow missed this entire thread.

I think most of us would be the better for it if we were in your shoes.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Old 12-03-2003, 12:18 PM   #248
MJ4H
Coordinator

We also need an Erik Flamebeard of the Neither Her nor There sighting.
Old 12-03-2003, 12:24 PM   #249
wbonnell
College Prospect

I, too, think skydog is sometimes too quick to use his moderator powers. I'm still a little bitter about this:

http://dynamic2.gamespy.com/~fof/for...ght=wkclifford

He should have PMed me about it first. Moreover, he should have responsded to my formal protest. That said, other than deleting one or two of my threads, I haven't had too many problems with him. And that's how it should be: moderators should stay in the background.
Old 12-03-2003, 12:29 PM   #250
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally posted by wbonnell
I, too, think skydog is sometimes too quick to use his moderator powers. I'm still a little bitter about this:

http://dynamic2.gamespy.com/~fof/for...ght=wkclifford

He should have PMed me about it first. Moreover, he should have responsded to my formal protest. That said, other than deleting one or two of my threads, I haven't had too many problems with him. And that's how it should be: moderators should stay in the background.
Anytime that anyone uses two different names to post in the same thread, they can expect an immediate suspension. Period.