Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-21-2008, 11:13 AM   #201
Icy
Pro Starter

Wow just had my best game in BAP online.

I'm an offensive defenseman, i usually stay in the point to try to score from slap shots but in this game i saw a few chances to get into more offensive positions in some plays and it payed off. We were 3-0 and i scored two consecutive goals and gave an assist for the game tying one. Then in the shootout i missed my chance, but our C scored his so we won the game.

My stats were 2 goals, 1 assist, 10 hits and 3 blocked shots, becoming the star player of the game. Too bad i couldn't save the goals highlights as it what seems a bug or crap feature, if your game ends with a shootout, the only available replays are the goals from that shootout instead of the whole game replays.

I really love playing as defenseman and helping the attack from time to time.

Last edited by Icy : 09-21-2008 at 08:29 PM.
Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 03:22 PM   #202
MikeVic
Head Coach

Do we have enough PS3 people? Me and Icy are two I think.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 03:33 PM   #203
Logan
Head Coach

Probably gonna grab this tomorrow (360). I'm gonna suck for a very long time until I figure out the controls.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 08:18 PM   #204
pbot
H.S. Freshman Team

Downloaded the demo today (PS3). I will be picking this one up on the way home from work tomorrow.
pbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 08:48 PM   #205
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Probably gonna grab this tomorrow (360). I'm gonna suck for a very long time until I figure out the controls.

Don't punch your teammates.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 09:46 PM   #206
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

We need to compile a list of gamer tags per system. I would love to get on a team with a group that at least has an idea of how to play as a team.

Just one game that I have been in has consisted of team players and we kicked ass (8-0 and I had 4 goals and 2 assists as RW). In all the others it has been made up of 4 skaters who want to be the star and me havnig to play RW like a defenseman as if I didn't it would be 2 on 0 every time for the other team. Every time we had the puck in teh offensive zone our defensemen would crash the net (there would be 4 of our players around the goalie and me back at the blue line praying that I can break up the odd man rush about to happen. I am the second man on a 2 on 1 offensively once and the other player takes it basically end to end an loses the puck. Another tme I tried to start a tic-tac-toe passing combination but once I gave it up I would not see it again. On the last attempt I waited until he was in the best scoring position and fed him the puck for a slam dunk goal (at least set it up as his pass button must be broken).

I guess there should be no reson to have higher expectations in a PUG here than in something like WoW.

I would love to be on a team with some from here. I don't mind center but I suck at face offs (what is the trick as I don't see anything in the manual about it). I like setting people up as the center. For winger I prefer right wing, not sure why but it just feels awkward to me on the other side of the rink. Same for defense. keep trying goalie in single player but still have not gotten the hang of it. I am willing to try any position if the idea is to switch up from time to time but want to at least let you know what to expect.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 11:24 PM   #207
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
Don't punch your teammates.

More like a glancing blow. The sad part is that's actually the first time he hasn't connected with a defensive back all season.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:32 AM   #208
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

So now that some of the novelty has worn off Be a Pro, the following things are bugging me:

- Scoring is way too low, at least with five minute periods. All my games are 1-0 or 2-1. Are people playing with longer periods?

- No powerplays.

- Fighting sucks. I didn't think it was actually possible for it to be any worse than it usually is in EA games, but they topped themselves. Two punches? Why even bother?

- Is anyone else seeing a bug when goalies play the puck after covering it? Nobody on my team reacts, they all just stand there while the puck slides by until the other team picks it up (and usually scores).
Old 09-22-2008, 10:51 AM   #209
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
So now that some of the novelty has worn off Be a Pro, the following things are bugging me:

- Scoring is way too low, at least with five minute periods. All my games are 1-0 or 2-1. Are people playing with longer periods?

- No powerplays.

- Fighting sucks. I didn't think it was actually possible for it to be any worse than it usually is in EA games, but they topped themselves. Two punches? Why even bother?

- Is anyone else seeing a bug when goalies play the puck after covering it? Nobody on my team reacts, they all just stand there while the puck slides by until the other team picks it up (and usually scores).

1) I play default 5 minute periods on All Star and scoring seems fine in my games. They seem to range from the odd 1-0 affair to 4-3, 5-3 games. I had a game (when I was still on Pro) where I was a +5.

2) Penalties are indeed a little low, although I'm not sure there are 'none'.

3) Fighting totally sucks. It sucks hard.

4) Are you pressing the 'call for the puck' button while the goalie has the puck? This is the only time I've seen my goalie pass the puck out, otherwise he smothers it. When I do call for him to pass it to me, I agree the other players stand around, but then again, I did ask for it, so I guess it's my responsibility at that point
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 12:09 PM   #210
Icy
Pro Starter

1) I play in All start with 7 minutes and number of goals is fine and realistic. The CPU is a bit dump in PRO, i suggest you to move to All star if you want to see offense from them.

2)Penalties are low and a problem in the game, but as we are playing low minutes periods, i guess 2 or 3 penalties per game is fine and it's what i'm having with maxed penalty slider.

3) fighting is crap, just about who lands the first punch and game over. I just keep it enabled because it adds penalties.

4) have not noticed it

Old 09-22-2008, 12:18 PM   #211
MikeVic
Head Coach

1)I'm still in Pro mode, 5 minute periods, everything as-is when you get the game... I see different variations in scores. Win 1-0, lose 2-1, win 4-1, lose 5-1, etc.

2)I find penalties pretty low too. The one time they were excellent was when I played online in the quick match team games. Ended up having a couple of power plays on each side.

3)Fighting sucks.

4)The only goalie thing that pisses me off, is that with weaker goalies it seems like they'll stop a shot, and then when they scoop the puck back to themselves, it goes through the 5-hole. It happened a ton in the demo, but a lot less in the actual game. The only other bug-like thing was some defenseman on the Stars skating in a circle in his own end anytime he got the puck during on shift. It was funny, and I've never seen it again.
Old 09-22-2008, 12:32 PM   #212
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Am I the only one here playing with 10 minute periods?
Old 09-22-2008, 12:33 PM   #213
MikeVic
Head Coach

What, so Colin White can skate around in circles for 10 minutes instead of 5?
Old 09-22-2008, 12:37 PM   #214
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
What, so Colin White can skate around in circles for 10 minutes instead of 5?
As much as I dislike the guy, I've gotta admit it's pretty cute to watch him do that!
Old 09-22-2008, 12:42 PM   #215
MikeVic
Head Coach

With or without puck?
Old 09-22-2008, 12:52 PM   #216
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

man i dont never give that bitch the puck i aint crazy
Old 09-22-2008, 12:54 PM   #217
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
Am I the only one here playing with 10 minute periods?

I am as well.

Okay, here are the sliders I've been using. Have been getting good scoring with most games 3-2, 4-2, 4-3, with the occasional dominant 5+ game.

Difficulty: All-Star

Penalties: Max
Fighting: Middle

Game Speed: 0
Puck Control: 2
Fight Diff.: 4
Fatigue: 6
AI Learning: 3

Fatigue Recovery: 0
Acceleration: 1

Hitting Power: 2
Aggression: 3
Poke: 4

Pass Speed: 0
Saucer: 5
Interception: 3
Goalie Passing: 2

Shot Acc: 3
Shot Power: 3

Blocking: 2
Hook: 3
Penalty shot: 1
Goalie Cover: 2

Try these out and let me know what happens. One of these sliders really affects penalties but I forget which. These are just slightly modified from someone at OS.

Edit: Also, for faceoffs...once you see the ref move his hand, hold down on the right analog stick, don't flick.

Last edited by JetsIn06 : 09-22-2008 at 12:55 PM.
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 01:00 PM   #218
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I played the actual game for the first time last night (as opposed to Be A Pro mode) against my brother, and it was a blast. Not a whole lot different than 08, but definitely an improvement.

The night ended on a great note when I scored the cheapest OT goal in history. I dumped the puck from deep in my end, and sent a winger careening after it. My bro's d-man got to the boards first, and clearly touched the puck (even changing its direction), but didn't get possession, which apparently this game thinks is necessary for icing to be called. A heartbeat later, my winger pounds the helpless defenceman face first into the boards from behind, which should have been a 40 game suspension but was deemed legal by the ref. I then scooped up the puck, swung around behind the net and passed it out front to my center who potted the game winner while my brother hollered at the TV in protest.

I've put the play up on the EA servers with the name "Cheapest OT Goal Ever" if anyone is interested in watching
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Old 09-22-2008, 01:05 PM   #219
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
I've put the play up on the EA servers with the name "Cheapest OT Goal Ever" if anyone is interested in watching

I laughed my ass off when i saw that hit against the boards...

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 01:14 PM   #220
MikeVic
Head Coach

Can you view these cross-platform?
Old 09-22-2008, 02:32 PM   #221
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Fidatelo's goal:

EA SPORTS World: Cheapest OT Goal Ever

Last edited by Pumpy Tudors : 09-22-2008 at 02:32 PM.
Pumpy Tudors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 02:35 PM   #222
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleBrownsfan View Post
I laughed my ass off when i saw that hit against the boards...

Looked like a Crosby dive!
Old 09-22-2008, 02:37 PM   #223
MikeVic
Head Coach

Hahaha. Nice hit. Go Oilers!
Old 09-22-2008, 02:38 PM   #224
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Oh and Steve Downie just said that hit was legal...
Old 09-22-2008, 02:41 PM   #225
MikeVic
Head Coach

Can anyone tell me if there's a roster draft in the game that I'm just missing?
Old 09-22-2008, 04:12 PM   #226
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Sure, NHL 09 has it's occasional realism glitches. But at least they don't put them right in the ads.

Oh wait, yes they do.
Old 09-22-2008, 04:19 PM   #227
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Sure, NHL 09 has it's occasional realism glitches. But at least they don't put them right in the ads.

Oh wait, yes they do.

Haha! I don't see anything wrong!
Old 09-22-2008, 04:38 PM   #228
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

I started a franchise just because I wanted to start making some moves. After all, the GM is my favorite position to play.

I'm playing as the Phoenix Coyotes...made it to the playoffs but quickly got manhandled by the Blackhawks.

I did notice a problem however...at the start of the next season, there are still a few studs sitting there in free agency. The 95 rated Peter Forsberg was around so I traded my starting C and picked him up. But it does concern me a bit...We'll see how it goes as the franchise progresses.

Last edited by JetsIn06 : 09-22-2008 at 04:45 PM.
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 04:47 PM   #229
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsIn06 View Post
I did notice a problem however...at the start of the next season, there are still a few studs sitting there in free agency.
Careful... if you see Mats Sundin on the FA list, don't try to negotiate. The game will freeze for four months.
Old 09-23-2008, 12:17 AM   #230
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Damn!!! Just played my first online team game as a goalie (was quite nervous to start with) and we lost 4-2. Unfortunately my defense left me hung out to dry several times so I actually consider it a bit of a victory that I only let in 4. That was fun as hell once I got into it. Nothing quite like the feeling of a beautiful glove save on a close in shot (especially with the announcer then praising the save). Actually tonight was abou the first time I did not try anything on the offensive side and enjoyed the hell out of it. Played defense the other games and started to finally get a better feel for that position (with a couple offensive chances where I snuck up on the play at select times).

If I were to win a lottery I may become a hermit playing this game.
Old 09-23-2008, 12:21 AM   #231
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Oh wait, yes they do.

I don't get it. It's a game where you can create and use your own player so what is the deal?
Old 09-23-2008, 12:33 AM   #232
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

A quick compiled list of what I have seen in the thread.

X-Box Gamer Tags:

Code:
DeToxRox - DeToxRox Dr. Sak - Dr Sak EagleFan - EagleFan1022 heybrad - heybrad msf518 - mtf99 rowech - ralphiecs Sublime 2 - jpro21885 yacovfb - yacovfb

Last edited by EagleFan : 09-23-2008 at 06:48 PM.
Old 09-23-2008, 04:19 AM   #233
Coder
College Prospect

jeepers.. I've had the game since last Monday, but I hadn't actually tested it until last night.. ended up staying up until 3 a.m. and now I'm sitting at my desk trying hard not to fall asleep..

After a few games with 5 minute periods, I had to switch to 7 minutes.. I felt like I didn't have enough time to get anything done in "Be a Pro" mode.

~ I am an idiot, walking a tight rope of fortunate things ~
Coder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 04:52 AM   #234
rowech
Pro Starter

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post

X-Box Gamer Tags:

Code:
DeToxRox - DeToxRox Dr. Sak - Dr Sak EagleFan - EagleFan1022 heybrad - heybrad msf518 - mtf99 Sublime 2 - jpro21885 yacovfb - yacovfb

Mine is ralphiecs
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 07:45 AM   #235
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
I don't get it. It's a game where you can create and use your own player so what is the deal?
Imagine a Madden ad where Martin Grammatica was trucking a DT...
Old 09-23-2008, 08:38 AM   #236
Icy
Pro Starter

As were not enough PS3 users here, i have joined the Operation sports PS3 online team. They are still recruiting, you can apply here:

TEAM OS (PS3) RECRUITING THREAD - Operation Sports Forums

Old 09-23-2008, 09:09 AM   #237
MikeVic
Head Coach

Thanks Icy. I'll try to join once I'm more stable with time in the evenings.
Old 09-23-2008, 05:59 PM   #238
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I got called up from the Phantoms to the Flyers after 12 games. My first game as a Flyer I have a hat trick. The next day, I am sent back down.
Old 09-23-2008, 06:49 PM   #239
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
Mine is ralphiecs

Updated it.
Old 09-23-2008, 06:49 PM   #240
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

X-Box Gamer Tags:

Code:
DeToxRox - DeToxRox Dr. Sak - Dr Sak EagleFan - EagleFan1022 heybrad - heybrad msf518 - mtf99 rowech - ralphiecs Sublime 2 - jpro21885 yacovfb - yacovfb
Old 09-23-2008, 07:09 PM   #241
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

X-Box Gamer Tags:

Code:

klayman - jbeaulac
klayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 07:14 PM   #242
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I got called up from the Phantoms to the Flyers after 12 games. My first game as a Flyer I have a hat trick. The next day, I am sent back down.

After 30 games in Springfield, I'm leading the AHL in goals and points and I got demoted to the 2nd line after I went 5 games without a point. Only after my linemates were called up or traded and replaced with 2 useless tools, though.
klayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 08:11 PM   #243
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:

Sounds like MLB: The Show.
Old 09-23-2008, 08:56 PM   #244
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

I take it back. Most realistic game ever.

Old 09-23-2008, 09:11 PM   #245
MikeVic
Head Coach

hahahahaha
Old 09-23-2008, 09:26 PM   #246
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

An update:

X-Box Gamer Tags:

Code:
DeToxRox - DeToxRox Dr. Sak - Dr Sak EagleFan - EagleFan1022 heybrad - heybrad klayman - jbeaulac msf518 - mtf99 rowech - ralphiecs Sublime 2 - jpro21885 yacovfb - yacovfb
Old 09-23-2008, 11:43 PM   #247
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

ML that is awesome
Old 09-24-2008, 12:24 PM   #248
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
An update:

X-Box Gamer Tags:

Code:
DeToxRox - DeToxRox Dr. Sak - Dr Sak EagleFan - EagleFan1022 heybrad - heybrad klayman - jbeaulac msf518 - mtf99 rowech - ralphiecs Sublime 2 - jpro21885 yacovfb - yacovfb

MizzouRah - MizzouRah0971
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 12:39 PM   #249
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
MizzouRah - MizzouRah0971

Were there really 970 other MizzouRah handles already in existance?
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 12:46 PM   #250
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Were there really 970 other MizzouRah handles already in existance?

lol.. no but MizzouRah was taken, so I used my b-day.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote