Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-07-2007, 09:06 PM   #201
Cuckoo
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardent enthusiast View Post
Fixed that for you.

Oops, my bad. Yeah, killer class for Tennessee this year. Creer's going to be a good one, it looks like.
Old 02-07-2007, 10:32 PM   #202
Celeval
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
What happened with Cedric Everson? He had his scholarship pulled?

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
It came down to a class requirement. Tech gave him an opportunity to fulfill the course requirement and he did not, so they mutually parted ways.

He committed to Michigan State over the weekend.

...aaaaaand after commiting to MSU on Saturday, he signed with Iowa today. Not entirely sure what went on with him, but I wish him the best. Very, very happy with Tech's class this year. Two really good-looking quarterbacks in Threet and Nesbitt.
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 11:25 PM   #203
IMetTrentGreen
College Prospect

creer is average. thats all.
IMetTrentGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 11:27 PM   #204
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMetTrentGreen View Post
creer is average. thats all.

Well, that settles that.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 11:27 PM   #205
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I'm betting that's why a lot of schools wanted him. I know I'm all about getting average backs into Tennessee.
Old 02-07-2007, 11:27 PM   #206
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Cronin, is your name Tubby by chance?
Old 02-07-2007, 11:30 PM   #207
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Cronin, is your name Tubby by chance?

Nope. Full name Sean Treacy Cronin

In high school I was nicknamed Flipper.

knives out
Old 02-07-2007, 11:32 PM   #208
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Well, that eliminates you as being my my long lost brother.
Old 02-07-2007, 11:34 PM   #209
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Well, that eliminates you as being my my long lost brother.

We can still be friends.

knives out
Old 02-07-2007, 11:35 PM   #210
Poli
FOFC Survivor

What's in it for me?
Old 02-07-2007, 11:37 PM   #211
st.cronin
General Manager

I'll get you a hat.

knives out
Old 02-07-2007, 11:38 PM   #212
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Depends on the hat.
Old 02-07-2007, 11:39 PM   #213
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Wait, wasn't that my line?
Old 02-07-2007, 11:41 PM   #214
st.cronin
General Manager

It won't be anything to do with the SEC, that's for sure.

knives out
Old 02-08-2007, 09:38 AM   #215
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I was out sick from work yesterday (truly sick with a nasty cold) but returned to work today. We are in the heart of LSU country, but one of my co-workers, a psychologist, is a huge USC fan, too. It's kind of funny all of the crap our co-worker LSU fans are giving us about McKnight considering neither of us had anything to do with his recruitment process. It's also funny to hear these people who raved about him, now say, "he's not that good. He's going to stink" etc, etc.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 09:47 AM   #216
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
I was out sick from work yesterday (truly sick with a nasty cold) but returned to work today. We are in the heart of LSU country, but one of my co-workers, a psychologist, is a huge USC fan, too. It's kind of funny all of the crap our co-worker LSU fans are giving us about McKnight considering neither of us had anything to do with his recruitment process. It's also funny to hear these people who raved about him, now say, "he's not that good. He's going to stink" etc, etc.

It's all typical. When Joseph Nicolas verballed to Rutgers a couple months back, we had Miami fans swarm our Rivals board saying that they were never interested in him, he's a 3rd tier player, he'll never make an impact, etc.

Fast forward to yesterday, when he reneged and signed with Miami (something we all had seen coming), and it was "Haha he would never play for a shitty school like Rutgers, he's the next Sean Taylor, blah blah blah..."
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 10:04 AM   #217
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Creer is average.

Old 02-08-2007, 10:05 AM   #218
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Seriously, it was good to see Gerald Jones signed on as well. We've got an awful lot of receivers on scholarship now. If we don't use four and 5 wide receiver sets more often...
Old 02-08-2007, 10:08 AM   #219
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Fans like that really annoy me. 10 mins before a player announces they are all over him saying he could be the key to a national title run. Then right after he chooses another school that same fan will say "He wasn't material". Give me a break.

There's another quesiton that I'd like some option on with regards to recruiting. Which position do you think it is the hardest to project skill when recruiting?

IMO I think it is offensive line. Some kids mature physically much faster than others. You could have a kid who looks awesome on film, pancaking everyone but it could be just because he matured faster. A lot of times that kid won't be a workaholic because he was able to just oversize everyone. Now in college he can't do the same thing and becomes discouraged. Any thoughts?
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 10:17 AM   #220
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I'd say the line as well...players seem to disappear on the line at Tennessee...while others, guys I wasn't expecting much from, come out of nowhere.

Last year, we had former walkons start at center and defensive tackle.

The only other former walk on to do any starting in recent memory was Bengal WR Kelley Washington, and he was a special case at that.
Old 02-08-2007, 10:29 AM   #221
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Hey ae, you talk to your boys down there, and I'll talk to my boys up here, and lets see if we can get 'em together for a game out Bristol way...
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 10:45 AM   #222
Swaggs
Coordinator

Deion on Devine:

http://www.news-press.com/apps/pbcs....7/COLUMNISTS41

Quote:
Decision like this takes time
Originally published on February 08, 2007

ALSO FROM NEWS-PRESS.COM
Forum: Post feedback on Deion's last column

Understand this, Noel Devine is like a son to me. I have fame and wealth, so I don’t need anything from him. I have three sons, so I’m not trying to live vicariously through him.

My motives are as pure as a child’s love.

I get emotional when I talk about Noel because we have such a complex relationship.

We connect on so many different levels: friend, mentor, father, athlete.

To sum it all up, let’s just say I love the kid. I care about his future. There are so many things I’d like to tell you, but I have a 500-word limit, so I’ll make this short and sweet.

First, let me address North Fort Myers coach James Iandoli’s remarks Wednesday on Rivals.com, where he indicated that he’s frustrated by the process. Why? This has nothing to do with him and everything to do with Noel.

Besides, isn’t he the same man who ripped this kid the night he fumbled in their playoff loss, while telling ESPN that he’s been like a father to Noel? Well, that was a shock to me and Noel. I could never see myself telling a kid, “Nice fumble,” at the conclusion of one of the biggest games of his life. By the way coach, he called me in tears that night, and I had to put the pieces back together after you shattered his spirit.
Never forget, this is about Noel. It’s not about the schools. Or the recruiting services.

Or anybody or anything else.

I’d like to applaud the entire staff at North Fort Myers High School, especially principal Kim Lunger and assistant principal Ken Burns, because they’ve been supportive and understanding throughout this whole process.

As you all know, Noel is one of the top running backs in the nation, which warrants much attention. There would be even more hype if every school knew that he would qualify academically. That’s why there has been a short, but quality list of schools
looking for his signature on a letter-of-intent.

Let’s take a look at them.

My old roommate Odell Haggins is recruiting him for Florida State. I love my former school, but I wouldn’t recommend the Seminoles. Why? Their record the past few years, their poor offense and their inconsistency at quarterback. You want me to give my blessing to an undersized running back in a situation like that?

The problem I have with the University of Florida is they signed everyone but my grandmama — and that’s only because she’s lost a couple of steps. Besides, it’s too close to home. But my conversations with coach Urban Meyer have gone very well.

Then there’s Alabama. I spoke to Nick Saban just a few hours before I wrote this column. He’s saying and doing all the right things and seems to be the disciplinarian coach I’d like for Noel to have, but this is his first year at Alabama. You have to show us something first.

That takes us to West Virginia, where Noel verbally committed. I talked to Rich Rodriguez early Wednesday morning. Noel had a wonderful visit, but I was troubled by a couple of things they suggested. They were going to allow Noel to live off-campus with his child’s mother.

I asked Rodriguez what happens if Candace — who I have great respect for and think is a wonderful mother — and Noel have problems like every other relationship in America. God forbid, she decided to leave with the child in the middle of the season. How would that affect Noel, considering all of the loss and tragedy he’s dealt with in his life?

Besides, I don’t agree with freshmen living off-campus, especially considering the problems he had with attendance in high school.

Here’s the truth: He doesn’t need to go to college right now. He needs a prep school, like Milford Academy in New Berlin, N.Y., which we visited last month.

I don’t know how much Noel enjoyed his trip, but a prep school would allow him to get away from the only place he’s ever known as home and find himself. It would force him to deal with being lonely and homesick, which would help him mature.

Most important, it would help him commit to his studies in a way he’s never done before, so that he could qualify academically and choose to play at any Division I school in America. He would also retain a full four years of college eligibility but be able to declare for the NFL draft, if his talent allows, following his sophomore year.

The thing people don’t understand about being in the spotlight is that while it causes you to shine ever so brightly, it also shows all of your blemishes.

And for those who wonder what makes me an expert, all I can say is, “I’ve been there and done that — quite well I might add.”

God Bless and God willing, I’ll hollah at you next week.

— Deion Sanders, a North Fort Myers High School graduate, played in the NFL and Major League Baseball. He currently works as an analyst for the NFL Network and is part-owner of the Austin Wranglers of the Arena Football League.

I do think Deion probably has the kids' best interests in mind and wants him to succeed, but I just don't see how the (seemingly one) criticism of WVU doesn't apply to Devine wherever he is, be it at high school, prep school, college, or if he stays in his home town and gets a job. And living off campus at WVU, you can still walk to class, still walk to football practice, and live without a vehicle--it is not a real sprawling town. I just don't see why giving the kid the opportunity to live with his family is that big of a negative. I'm sure he could live in a dorm if he really wants to, but if the goal is to keep his family tight, living off campus with them seems like a nice opportunity.

I think Deion wants him to go to prep school and get his grades up, so that he can become a national prospect and have his choice of schools. And, he should just say that, rather than saying Saban has something to prove or Florida is too good or WVU gave him the opportunity to live with his family off campus.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 10:46 AM   #223
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
Hey ae, you talk to your boys down there, and I'll talk to my boys up here, and lets see if we can get 'em together for a game out Bristol way...

From what I have heard, this is going to happen at some point. Not a matter of if, but when. The Bristol boys want to break the attendance record and that would be the game to do it.
Old 02-08-2007, 11:04 AM   #224
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
From what I have heard, this is going to happen at some point. Not a matter of if, but when. The Bristol boys want to break the attendance record and that would be the game to do it.

My understanding is Bristol wants it, but neither UT or VT do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 11:18 AM   #225
Poli
FOFC Survivor

That's my understanding as well, Wade.
Old 02-08-2007, 12:12 PM   #226
timmynausea
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
I think Deion wants him to go to prep school and get his grades up, so that he can become a national prospect and have his choice of schools. And, he should just say that, rather than saying Saban has something to prove or Florida is too good or WVU gave him the opportunity to live with his family off campus.

That is pretty much exactly what I think. Devine would be able to "find himself" just as well at any college than he would at prep school. The off campus stuff is an incredibly lame excuse, as that is surely flexible. Plus prep schools are expensive, and I'm under the impression that Devine is coming from a relatively lower income situation. If he gets the grades, he may as well go to college for free.

I am just shocked that Deion would try to misrepresent his true intentions and twist this into an opportunity to pat himself on the back, though.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 12:34 PM   #227
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmynausea View Post
That is pretty much exactly what I think. Devine would be able to "find himself" just as well at any college than he would at prep school. The off campus stuff is an incredibly lame excuse, as that is surely flexible. Plus prep schools are expensive, and I'm under the impression that Devine is coming from a relatively lower income situation. If he gets the grades, he may as well go to college for free.

I am just shocked that Deion would try to misrepresent his true intentions and twist this into an opportunity to pat himself on the back, though.

I also don't really like Deion asserting that he doesn't need to go to college right now, especially if he is concerned about Devine and his girlfriend/family staying together. Going away to a prep school for a year would only succeed in separating them and holding off Devine's future opportunities (be they NFL or getting a college degree/nice job) for an extra year. It makes sense for kids in better situations, but the kid is living with his girlfriend's family and their two kids right now, so a year in prep school is probably not a logical luxury for him right now, if he can qualify.
Old 02-08-2007, 12:37 PM   #228
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post

That's unfortunate, but I guess with the SEC and ACC having conference championships, it is tough to get an extra difficult OOC game in.
Old 02-08-2007, 12:54 PM   #229
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
Incorrect. VT has always said yes to the offer of playing UT in Bristol. Bruton offered the schools over $10 mil each to play two games there a couple years ago and we were on board as soon as the offer was made. Tenn is the one who declined. Must be the fact that they can make more from a home game...oh wait, they don't make $5 mil per game playing in Knoxville. There has to be another good reason because it can't be the simple fact that they're (shall I dare say it)...chicken?
VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 01:13 PM   #230
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPI97 View Post
Incorrect. VT has always said yes to the offer of playing UT in Bristol. Bruton offered the schools over $10 mil each to play two games there a couple years ago and we were on board as soon as the offer was made. Tenn is the one who declined. Must be the fact that they can make more from a home game...oh wait, they don't make $5 mil per game playing in Knoxville. There has to be another good reason because it can't be the simple fact that they're (shall I dare say it)...chicken?
Why should Tennessee be different?

Penn State
Michigan
Ohio State*
Wisconsin
Auburn
Georgia
Cal
UCLA
Oklahoma

All signed on the line which is dotted, then backed out of a series with Virginia Tech.

*Ohio State actually went back on their cancellation (seriously) and scheduled the home-and-home for 2014 and 2015, giving them 7 more years until they chicken out.
Old 02-08-2007, 01:13 PM   #231
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I think Deion is basically right. This kid doesn't have the normal two or three chances like most kids. He has probably one more chance not to screw up. And I'm so tired of these kids going to colleges that they're not ready to attend, barely going to class, flunking out and then being faced with fewer options. I think Deion is basically saying that him going to Prep School is a better deal because it'll help him get prepared academically AND a la Larry Fitzgerald, he could be eligible for the NFL Draft as a sophomore.

So the prep school doesn't necessarily delay anything other than the chance that he might inevitably buckle under the pressures of raising kids while trying to be a full-time student and college athlete at a big-time program.
Old 02-08-2007, 01:23 PM   #232
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Why should Tennessee be different?

Penn State
Michigan
Ohio State*
Wisconsin
Auburn
Georgia
Cal
UCLA
Oklahoma

All signed on the line which is dotted, then backed out of a series with Virginia Tech.

*Ohio State actually went back on their cancellation (seriously) and scheduled the home-and-home for 2014 and 2015, giving them 7 more years until they chicken out.

So thats why VT plays such a killer OOC schedule each year. Where did you find this info on "all" these teams backing out on VT. I find it very hard to believe. It sounds to me more like an internet rumor than actual facts.

Last edited by Dr. Sak : 02-08-2007 at 01:28 PM.
Old 02-08-2007, 01:46 PM   #233
Logan
Head Coach

Maybe they all backed out because beating Va Tech doesn't have the cache it once did.
Old 02-08-2007, 01:52 PM   #234
cschex
High School Varsity

Speaking of VT OOC games, Sept. 8th in Baton Rouge should be a great game. Two awesome defenses slugging it out in Death Valley. Schedule permitting, I'll be making the trip to see it. Any VT fans on here travel to the away games or are going to that one.
cschex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 01:54 PM   #235
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsak16 View Post
So thats why VT plays such a killer OOC schedule each year. Where did you find this info on "all" these teams backing out on VT. I find it very hard to believe. It sounds to me more like an internet rumor than actual facts.
It comes from attending the college and following it as an alumnus for almost 20 years. For a quick look at some of what I'm talking about, you can go to http://www.techsideline.com and look up the Football "future schedule" where the site admin has kept track of the schedule changes for the past 10 or so years.

*which shows me another school that canceled on VT - Illinois.

Last edited by Toddzilla : 02-08-2007 at 01:56 PM.
Old 02-08-2007, 02:08 PM   #236
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
It comes from attending the college and following it as an alumnus for almost 20 years. For a quick look at some of what I'm talking about, you can go to http://www.techsideline.com and look up the Football "future schedule" where the site admin has kept track of the schedule changes for the past 10 or so years.

*which shows me another school that canceled on VT - Illinois.

The only reason I dispute this is because Penn State fans have been calling for the AD to schedule VT for years. And following the team for as long as I have I would've remembered something about it. I
Old 02-08-2007, 02:10 PM   #237
st.cronin
General Manager

I seriously doubt that Wisconsin ever agreed to schedule a game with VaTech. If they did, they probably were confused and thought it was a junior college.

knives out
Old 02-08-2007, 02:23 PM   #238
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
I seriously doubt that Wisconsin ever agreed to schedule a game with VaTech. If they did, they probably were confused and thought it was a junior college.
per TSL:

"3/22/06: Removed Wisconsin games from the 2008 and 2009 schedules, because (according to Jim Weaver on the 9/19/05 Hokie Hotline) Wisconsin asked out of the series. ESPN tried to set up a 2006/2008 series with Wisconsin, but that fell through"

and an article in the Richmond Tines-Dispatch here: http://www.timesdispatch.com/servlet...=1045855934926

Last edited by Toddzilla : 02-08-2007 at 02:24 PM.
Old 02-08-2007, 02:31 PM   #239
Butter
Coordinator

I imagine that if Ohio State backed out of the home and home series, it was because they were able to schedule somebody better in the interim... I know OSU has upcoming home-and-homes with USC and Miami (FL) and just finished one up with Texas... so let's not do the "they're scared to play here" BS, at least with Ohio State. That's typical program whining.
Old 02-08-2007, 03:01 PM   #240
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

I love all the "My school wouldn't do that" coming from Big 10 fans. lol.
VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 03:02 PM   #241
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:

Maybe it's because Big 10 fans don't want to see their players get stomped, stabbed or have their wallets lifted after playing the Hokies?
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 03:03 PM   #242
st.cronin
General Manager

I don't think anybody actually got what my post was saying. Not too surprising, I guess.

knives out
Old 02-08-2007, 03:39 PM   #243
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschex View Post
Two awesome defenses slugging it out in Death Valley.

Can you be a bit more specific? Aren't there something like 7 Death Valleys now in the US? One out in California, one in South Carolina, the one you apparently refer to in Louisiana, and lord knows how many others are latching on to that name...
Old 02-08-2007, 05:41 PM   #244
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

This coming from a school that is starting to rival Da U for Thug U.
Old 02-08-2007, 07:59 PM   #245
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
I'd seriously doubt we're "chicken". We play at least one tough OOC game each season. We started out the season with Cal, not Northeastern.
Old 02-09-2007, 10:51 AM   #246
Logan
Head Coach

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200....ap/index.html

Quote:
USC looking into possible violation
Trojans may have broken rules recruiting McKnight

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Southern California is looking into whether it may have violated NCAA recruiting rules while pursuing highly rated recruit Joe McKnight, a university official said.

McKnight signed a national letter of intent with USC on Wednesday and made comments during a news conference that seemed to suggest communications involving former Trojan Reggie Bush, who is now with the New Orleans Saints.

Former players are forbidden from telephoning prospective recruits, their relatives or guardians.

"We're aware of it, and we are looking into it," sports information director Tim Tessalone told The Associated Press late Thursday.

The university's action was first reported by the Los Angeles Times on its Web site late Thursday.

USC coach Pete Carroll denied any call took place, and McKnight's high school football coach said the recruit misspoke during the news conference. The star running back has been living with his high school coach, J.T. Curtis.

"It never happened," Carroll told the Times.

During the Wednesday news conference, McKnight said Carroll set up a conference call so he and Curtis could talk to Bush and ease concerns USC might face sanctions.

The NCAA and the Pac-10 Conference are investigating whether Bush or his family received "improper benefits" from agents while he was playing for USC.

Regarding McKnight, Mike Matthews, associate commissioner of compliance for the Pac- 10, said boosters are not supposed to be involved in the recruiting process but could not comment without knowing specifics. NCAA spokeswoman Crissy Schluep also said she could not comment without knowing more.

Curtis told the Times on Thursday that he spoke to Carroll during McKnight's recruitment, but not on a conference call with McKnight or Bush. He also said McKnight told him "Coach Carroll was talking to Reggie on the speakerphone and Joe was able to listen and hear Reggie Bush's side of the story," the newspaper reported.

After being informed of Carroll's denial Thursday night, Curtis called McKnight and later said the recruit never heard Bush on a speakerphone.

"He said when they came in his house, the discussion was brought up about probation and that's when the conversation came up that they had talked to Reggie, but Joe was not there," Curtis said. "He said, 'I was not on the speakerphone. I never called him and he never called me. I want to make it clear I never spoke to Reggie and he never spoke to me. I just messed it up. I shouldn't have said it that way (at the news conference)."'

Curtis said McKnight may have been overwhelmed by the attention and scrutiny that accompanied his announcement.

"At the press conference, it seemed like he got 1,000 questions in five minutes," Curtis said. "If you saw what was going on it would be easier to understand."

Stolen from another board..."Maybe he should switch to cornerback with how fast he can backpedal."
Old 02-09-2007, 10:53 AM   #247
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

This has been all over the USC boards this morning and McKnight has already issued a clarification (that is towards the end of that article) that should take care of this issue.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 02-09-2007 at 10:54 AM.
Old 02-09-2007, 10:54 AM   #248
Poli
FOFC Survivor

You'd hope.

I also hear that USC is in the running for Mustain.
Old 02-09-2007, 10:55 AM   #249
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
You'd hope.

I also hear that USC is in the running for Mustain.

Mustain has been a hot rumor for about a week now. I just don't see him making that move with USC's depth chart, but you never know.
Old 02-09-2007, 10:56 AM   #250
Logan
Head Coach

Like I said...nice backpedal. You don't think that clarification could in anyway stem from Carroll screaming at him "WTF did you say??!!!"

Did the conversation happen? Probably.

Even if it did, will anything ever be done about it? Not a chance.

Edit to add: Does it matter that it even took place? No way. Not when former players unofficially recruit all the time anyway. I mean, you have recruits come to your games, and you have them stand on your sideline. You have former players come to your games, and they stand on your sideline.

Last edited by Logan : 02-09-2007 at 11:17 AM.