Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-07-2004, 01:09 AM   #201
Radii
Head Coach

The Good: I played really well tonight, finished up my partypoker bonus and was ahead a solid $150+ the $100 bonus cash.

The Bad: I'm too tired to keep playing, because holy shit the tables are juicy at 2am on a friday night. The number of times I got called down by bottom pair was amazing.

The Ugly: Ugly, but a big positive. I'm back to even on the month. $2325 in poker accounts. That's where I started on Aug 1(see the end of July update).

Hopefully I can find enough time tomorrow to play a fair amount and the tables will be just as juicy.

Thanks for the comments everyone I'll respond to some of dixie's individual hand comments when I'm more awake, I really appreciate the thoughts there.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 11:06 PM   #202
Radii
Head Coach

Just a quick money update here(sorry RPI-Fan!). In 3000 2/4 hands this month, I am down $284. KK is one of my 5 biggest losers so far. Things have just not gone well. I had a stretch today where I got the best flurry of cards I've ever seen... something like 2 AA, 4 KK, 2 AKs, 5-7 AKo's all in about 30 minutes. After I'd gotten all those amazing starting hands, I was up $7 more than I was when the run started. That's the kind of start I've had to the month so far.

Bonuses have helped pull me along, and I'm modestly ahead in a few rounds of $10 SnG's that I've played.

Bankroll update:

Pokerstars: $253
Neteller: $661
PartyPoker: $1358

TOTAL: $2272

So I have quite a ways to go if I want to show a profit this month and cash out a bit to help with debt, which is the overriding reason for doing this in such a concentrated fashion in the first place.

SNG Update:

$10/$1:

Played: 38
Fees: $418
ITM: 47.37%
1st: 3
2nd: 6
3rd: 9

Amount Won: $510
Net Won: $92

ROI: 22%

Bleh. It's a small sample as well, and not indicative of weak/passive play at all. A lot of those 3rd will turn into 1sts. I am convinced of this. I played 8 tourneys today, 1 1st, 1 2nd, 1 3rd. A very very minimal profit(something like $12).

This has been a very very rough week in the poker world for me, lets watch it turn around.

Tomorrow is the start of 1st grade for kiddo. This means I'll be waking up at 6:45 am with OlieGirl and kiddo. I will probably have 1 - 1 1/2 hours of poker time in the mornings if I want it before I head into the office.
Old 08-09-2004, 07:55 AM   #203
Radii
Head Coach

I got in about 350 hands this morning, and the play was no better and certainly no tighter than the evening play, which is a good thing to see. avg seeing the flop was over 40% on 3 of the tables, again, very good to see.
Old 08-09-2004, 08:09 AM   #204
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Radii, how many tables do you play at once?
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 08:43 AM   #205
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000

3 or 4 depending on how alert I am. When I first started I found that after 200 hands or so I'd be physically drained from trying to keep up with all of it, now, if I have a few hours to kill(which I rarely do), I have found that I can stay on my game for a solid 600-800 hands easily. When I sit down though I usually play 200-400 hands over 4 tables.

For true insanity, check out:

http://www.zeejustin.com/images/9tblmm.jpg

I've now finished ahead the last three times I sat down, though two of the three I was not very far ahead at all (this morning I played only about 8% of my hands, my cards just stunk, so I was quite happy to be ahead at all). Perhaps the new week will signal a nice run of winning for me.
Old 08-09-2004, 08:54 AM   #206
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

I find 3 is a very comfortable # for me. I was a bit surprised when I found that playing more tables at once helped me stick to playing only premium hands. It makes some sense though, there's not nearly the temptation to play junk when so many cards are coming your way.

Last edited by cthomer5000 : 08-09-2004 at 08:55 AM.
Old 08-09-2004, 09:04 AM   #207
Radii
Head Coach

I agree that I most definitely play better playing multiple tables than I would just playing 1, unless I am playing a tough game or something that requires my full attention for a long period of time(I like writing up big tournaments instead of playing other games along w/ them, for example). Subjectively, I feel my play with 3 and 4 tables is the same, objectively, I haven't really tried to measure that in any way.
Old 08-09-2004, 10:02 AM   #208
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Radii,

I've been following along, and it looks like your hard work is paying off.

What are your Pokertracker stats for the 2/4 ring games on the following variables?

VP$IP

Aggression factor:
Preflop
Flop
Turn
River
Total
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 10:31 AM   #209
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Vic
Radii,
VP$IP

Aggression factor:
Preflop
Flop
Turn
River
Total

I'll get 100% exact numbers tonight, but these have been pretty steady.

VP$P remains pretty steady around 14%

Agression factors are something like:

Pre-Flop: 0.5
flop/turn: 1.75
River: 1.5 or so

Pre-flop I complete a fair amount from the SB and play my suited connectors a lot and end up pretty passive(but I assume this is ok in a game where there are enough limpers pre-flop to allow these hands to be played?).

Flop/turn I have gotten pretty good with raise or fold *except* with drawing hands. A known hole for me is Carson's raising of the flush draw with proper odds. I rarely do it, and I need to.

River another hole of mine is that I miss bets when the board gets too scary. Something I've been actively working on and improving.

Do you have specific numbers that would indicate solid play or clearly suboptimal play with these stats? And how far off am I?

There are things I've heard you mention pre-flop in various poker posts that I've just never done, such as raising with any pocket pair from late position if there are enough limpers. I've never done this. Is this the same as raising the flush draw when you have the odds? If you have direct odds to flop the set, raise w/ it?

Any other general tips that most players at my level need to be thinking about are appreciated(I know that's a tough question since I don't post any specific 2/4 hands).

I have notes on people with what I call "hyperagressive" agression factors. 11% or more PFR %, and 3.0 or more agression numbers on all streets. I believe my numbers tend to be a lot lower than that b/c of calling on strong draws, and there are times when I'll push a hand and get pushed back at hard enough that I'll go into check/call mode.

Anyway, specific thoughts/advice/requests are always welcome if any numbers point to possible holes in my thinking.
Old 08-09-2004, 10:36 AM   #210
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

I think the optimal VP$P # is in the ~18%, no?

Sounds like you may be playing a tad tight.
Old 08-09-2004, 11:17 AM   #211
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Radii,

Those numbers look pretty good to me. As for raising pocket pairs after limpers, I didn't want you to get the wrong idea. If there are two to four limpers ahead of me, I'll usually limp in with baby and medium pairs. If there are five or more limpers, I'll usually raise (not always). I'm more inclined to raise them out of the big blind with a bunch of limpers, because it's only one more bet, and if you flop a set you're going to take down a huge pot (plus your hand will be disguised).

The small blind structure in 2/4 lets you play a few more hands than you would at 3/6. Many players at 3/6 complete the small blind when they shouldn't. Since it's a 1/3 blind structure, you should only play hands that you would play on the button.
Old 08-09-2004, 11:57 AM   #212
Malificent
High School JV

I'd like to echo that sentiment about raising pocket pairs with limpers. I've noticed a lot more profitability when I raise with pocket pairs from the button or blinds, assuming a lot of limpers.

I also, like Radii, tend to miss out on raising the flush draw - I tend to get very passive with flush draws - a real weakness in my game.
Malificent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 12:09 PM   #213
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malificent
I'd like to echo that sentiment about raising pocket pairs with limpers. I've noticed a lot more profitability when I raise with pocket pairs from the button or blinds, assuming a lot of limpers.

I also, like Radii, tend to miss out on raising the flush draw - I tend to get very passive with flush draws - a real weakness in my game.

Raising with the flush draw is sometimes a good idea, but there are several considerations. You generally want to raise after there have been at least three callers. With three or more callers, you have much more pot equity than the other players, and you should raise and reraise your flush draw. This is especially powerful if you are on the button, as the other players will usually check to you on the turn. However, if there is a bet directly to your right with several players yet to act, then you should usually just call.
Old 08-09-2004, 12:40 PM   #214
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Vic
Raising with the flush draw is sometimes a good idea, but there are several considerations. You generally want to raise after there have been at least three callers. With three or more callers, you have much more pot equity than the other players, and you should raise and reraise your flush draw. This is especially powerful if you are on the button, as the other players will usually check to you on the turn. However, if there is a bet directly to your right with several players yet to act, then you should usually just call.

Yeah, the idea I definitely have down. I want to make sure there are enough callers to my raise that I continute to have the odds. I don't want to force a lot of people to cold-call two bets when all I have is a draw, etc. I want them in to keep my odds correct.

Thanks for the additional info on the pocket pairs. I had not ever thought to raise them from the BB, I like that.

I dunno what to say about cthomer's VP$P comment. It is most definitely possible that I play a little too tight, and that there's a small subset of hands I could add in.

I really intend to start the jump to 3/6 any day now, likely whenever I start running really good for a little while. The last thing I want to do when my cards have been running cold and I'm losing money is jump limits, but if I start making money again this week, I will probably start making 1 of my tables a 3/6 table later in the week/this weekend.

All this discussion is great, glad to see the comments guys
Old 08-09-2004, 12:42 PM   #215
Radii
Head Coach

In other news, barns and noble didn't have ed miller's small stakes hold'em book in yet, but I went and ordered it. It'll be shipped directly to my home address late this week/early next week. Because I just don't have enough poker books (well, that and, everything I've read about this one has turned it into a must have for me).
Old 08-09-2004, 03:51 PM   #216
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

I've gotten way more agressive with small pairs pre-flop recently. Anytime I think there's a fair chance I can get heads up by re-raising, I do so. If you get a flop that completely misses someone holding high cards, it's pretty easy to run them out of there assuming the turn is a blank.

So basically i'm far more likely to re-raise than I am to be the first raiser with small pairs.
Old 08-09-2004, 05:54 PM   #217
Chappy
Mascot

Quote:

Just one more reason for me to invest in a better monitor. This 17 incher is just a pain to try multiple tables........
Chappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 06:36 PM   #218
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappy
Just one more reason for me to invest in a better monitor. This 17 incher is just a pain to try multiple tables........

Yeah... I have a fair amount of overlap, but if you choose your chairs right, you can at least see your hole cards on all tables at all times. I'm definitely looking into a new monitor quite soon.
Old 08-09-2004, 06:55 PM   #219
Chappy
Mascot

Quote:
Yeah... I have a fair amount of overlap, but if you choose your chairs right, you can at least see your hole cards on all tables at all times. I'm definitely looking into a new monitor quite soon.

On that note, what size monitor do you use for 4 tables Radii?
Chappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 08:02 PM   #220
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappy
On that note, what size monitor do you use for 4 tables Radii?

17 inch monitor. There is overlap but I, like cthomer, find tables where I can sit in places where there's no overlap.
Old 08-09-2004, 08:07 PM   #221
Radii
Head Coach

Anyone play on Absolute Poker? How hard is this 35% bonus to earn?
Old 08-09-2004, 09:11 PM   #222
Radii
Head Coach

I join a $30 NL 3 table tourney, not up to multi-tabling limit tonight.

When I first load up partypoker, it tells me it has detected a pokerbot running, and kicks me off. I can't find anything unusual running, so I log right back on, and all seems well now. That is very very odd, I have never seen that happen before.

8 minutes in, not a single person has busted out. As I type that, AA goes all in vs T7 with a T75 flop. running 6s bust out the T7 guy. Nono, actually, it knocks him down to 30 chips, and he quadruples up on his next hand, so he's still alive.

Ok, lets start at level 2.

Level 2 - 10/20 blinds

A9o, BB, folds to 75 raise.

I have 940 in chips. All 30 remain. I have 930 in chpis after 1 limp/fold and a few blinds.

crap, SB, folds
65o, button, folds

1 is out(not at our table, 30 chips->370, he's still alive).

84o, cutoff, folds

Key Hand
ATs, cutoff-1, I limp into a 4 way pot. Flop comes A67 rainbow. I bet the pot(90 chips). I'm re-raised all in by TWO short stacks. It'll cost me over half my chips to call. Against two people. I fold, and I see A4 and K7. DOH. The turn comes a 4, and in a results oriented fashion, it was a good fold.

I have 800 in chips after that hand.

crap, MP, folds
52o, MP, folds

Level 3, 15/30 blinds

T7o, UTG, folds

8 left at my table. 26 left overall. I have 800 in chips.

64o, BB, folds to PF raise
97o, SB, folds
K5o, button, folds

77, cutoff, fold to a large raise after trying to limp into a decent sized field(mistake)
75o, cutoff-1, folds
93o, MP, folds
86s, UTG, folds (lost another at my table, down to 7 here)
92o, BB, folds at first opportunity

K4s, SB - limp/fold (getting weak here maybe? but in a 4 way pot this seems to make sense from the SB).
K2s, butotn, folds
Qto, cutoff, folds to 150 raise
J9o, MP, folds
J5s, UTG+1, folds

a hand, any hand?

Level 4 - 25/50 blinds

20 remain, we merge to 2 tables. I have only 665 in chips. Trying to limp into a few hands and having absolutely nothing so far minus my one AT hand, makes it so that I'm the shortest stack in the tourney w/ 20 left.

72o, MP, folds
42o, UTG+1, folds
62s, UTG, folds
KJo, BB, everyone folds to me. Another round.
84s, SB, folds
K7o, button, folds
42o, cutoff, folds

i'm not even getting hands I could try to see a flop in limit with.

K9o, cutoff-1, folds to big raise
T6o, MP, folds
32o, UTG+1, folds

Level 5 - 50/100 blinds

Jesus. This is boring

I still have 665 chips. The good thing is that I'm no longer the shortest stack in the tourney.

Q2o, UTG, folds

17 remain. All in on any good hand at this point.

T3s, BB - a free flop 4 way, with beautiful potential. But, I don't hit. I have to fold.
T3s, SB - asdflj;ljk

Q8o, button, prepared to all in if folded to me. Nope, no chance.
K9o, cutoff, folds to big raise.
86o, cutoff-1, folds
87o, UTG+2, folds
65o, UTG+1, folds
J2o, UTG, folds

[b]Level 6 - 75/150 blinds[/B?]

97s, BB - with 365 more chips left, that's probably enough to call an all-in with. Hm, a raise to 500, and a call. triple up or go home? I dunno what the "right" decision is here, but I'm calling it. Lets get a big flop. one of my suit. AT2. dude goes all in, AKs, same suit as mine and I'm out.

So, BB, 1/3 of your chips in the pot, a suited 1-gapper. Do you fold to a raise there? Do you prefer to be heads up and hope you're 60/40 against Ax or something? Or do you like being 3-way hoping to triple up to a decent stack?

I am out 15th in the most uneventful tournament I've ever played in.
Old 08-09-2004, 11:14 PM   #223
Radii
Head Coach

I join the nightly rebuy tourney on pokerstars.

Hoping to get a big score or three during the rebuy preiod, and willing to rebuy a time or two if need be, I loosen up just a touch.

Level 1 - 10/20 blinds

Q6s, BB - I call a 60 chip raise after 4 others call, but I don't hit my miracle flop and fold.

Key Hand
64s, SB - 7 people limp... flop comes 966. I check and call a large bet(500ish) from darrell_4. one other is in as well. The turn is a jack, and brings a second club to the board. I push all in. I'm called by only darrell_4. He turns over 76 to have me beat, but I have tons of outs to a split, and outs to a win as well.

Code:
Holdem Hi: 44 enumerated boards containing 6s Jc 9c 6h cards win %win lose %lose tie %tie EV 7d 6d 3 6.82 11 25.00 30 68.18 0.409 6c 4c 11 25.00 3 6.82 30 68.18 0.591

Interesting. A club hits, I double up! 3480 in chips.

crap, button, folds

Key Hand
AKs, cutoff - there's an all in from short stack, then a stakc my size calls. I raise to 300 chips. I'm called by JThomas. Flop comes Txx, one of my suit. There's an all in and I fold.

Key Hand
A8s, cutoff-2 - I limip into a big pot. flop a flush draw, Kxx, two diamonds. Turn is an ace, I bet the pot, and win, up to 3800.

Key Hand
AKs, the cards are flowing on pokerstars! I raise to 100, and get 4 callers. Flop is a beauty. J32, all diamonds. I flop the nuts. I take my chances on the slowplay, and call a decent sized bet from Brecht to my left(a short stack). Turn pairs the board, a 3. Three of us go all in, I am by far the big stack though. Brecht turns over JJ for the boat. VIPDirect has Q7s for a lower flush. I win the side pot and still have 3120 in chips. Too bad, I could have been looking at a monster 9K stack if I'd won that.

crap, folded through button
J8o, button, folds

95o, cutoff, folds

Level 2 - 15/30 blinds

I have 3110 in chips. I am 286th out of 986 remaining. 1048 originally registered. Of course it's a very volatile world until the rebuy period ends and I want more chips.

A7s, MP, limp/fold to an all in for 580.
62o, UTG+2, folds
crap, UTG+1, folds
75o, UTG, folds
A4o, BB, folds to large raise
J5o, SB, folds
QJo, button, limp/fold to large bet with my inside straight draw.
Q3o, cutoff, folds

A4s, cutoff-1, limp into a 5-way pot. KQ4 rainbow flop. I call a small bet from IADAWG(100 chips into the 200+ pot). The turn is my ace. He bets 280, and I raise him up to 600. He folds. I take down a decent pot and am up to 3485 in chips.

couple of folds

88, UTG, limp/call a 90 chip raise into a 4-way pot. Flop is all undercards but 3 hearts. I don't like it enough. We check it around though. The turn is a 9, and I fold to a large bet.

94o, BB, free flop, it's again all hearts, including a 4. But I can't play that when there's a bet really. Not enough of that.

65s, SB - Here's one I want to play for a reasonable amount. I call a 100 chip raise into 3-way action. Flop comes A52, one of my suit. 400 bet into a 390 pot. Looking to discourage the flush draw it appears. I give this one up too, though I seriously considered playing it. I had to put my opponent on an ace though and that leaves me with 5 outs + runner runner flush.

AQo, button - 3 limp then I raise to 210 chips. There's a re-raise behind which is called by 2 to me... I'll call the re-raise but I need to hit this. Don't want a 4-way all in with AQ here I don't think. The flop misses me and I'm forced to fold to an all in bet.

Level 3 - 25/50 blinds

Down to 2700 in chips after those three hands.

Key Hand
A7o - I limp into a 4-way pot. Flop comes 3 spades. I have the ace of spades. ammbo goes all in. He has me covered. He is going all in a ton. A *ton*. And he's been getting people to fold. I think about it for awhile and decide to take the big risk here, I really don't have any faith that he has the flush right now. If he just has a pair I have a fair chance against him. Whooboy was I wrong. He has the flush, cutting my outs to 7. Blank on the turn, a spade on the river!! I have it, and I double up to 5600 in chips.

I limp A5s and fold when the wrong suit flops.

I fold Q9o in my big blind to a big raise.

JTs, SB - I complete for a 5-way flop. Flop comes T43, two herats(not my suit). I overbet the pot a little to hurt flush odds, and win it there. I bet 400 into a 250 pot.

55, button - Here I fold to a 300 chip raise. Good sized raise there and no one else was in the pot (see i'm not totally insane).

A3o, cutoff, folds
J4o, cutoff-1, folds

55, have to fold again. IADAWG has lost two all in's in a row(both on draws vs made hands). He goes all in again, rebuying for 3rd straight hand? AK for him, KK for frenchy who called him. Ace hits the board, IADAWG isstill alive w/o another $10 gone.

54o, UTG+2, folds

few hands folded

J9o, BB, fold on the flop. 4 of a kind beats a full house.

Level 4 - 50/100 blinds

868 remain. I have 5600 in chips right now. 216 out of 867 that remain.

T7o, SB, folds

This has the chance to be a $30K tournament.

crap, button, folds

T6s, cutoff, folds

65s, cutoff-1, I limp/fold
53s, cutoff-2, folds
Q9o, MP, folds

ppl with 4000+ chips going all in left and right, I have to be careful w/ drawing hands.

T9o, UTG+1, folds
QTo, UTG, folds
97o, BB (come on free 568 rainbow flop!) - 3300 all-in raise... i'll fold. AK vs AK all in. 678 flop! ohwell
94o, SB, folds

5 minutes til the break/add-on period. I will claerly be adding on. Even with 5300 in chips I am still only 270th out of 831 left.

43o, button, folds
T8s, cutoff, folds (was folded to me, no implied odds on that).

KJs, cutoff-1, limp into a 4-way pot. A43 flop. We check around. King on the turn. I play it straight and bet the pot. I'm called by two. River makes the flush, but no one has it. ammbo and I both have KJ and we win IADAWG's money. Back to 5725.

crap, MP, folds

clinton on, thank god for incoming break.

K8s, UTG+1, I limp and call a 200 raise. I miss the flop and fold.

Level 5 - 75/150 blinds - 1 hr break - add-on period

I have 5425 in chips. 306th/802 remaining.

I add-on to 7425 chips.

Most everyone adds on. I do jump up to 285th out of 802.

Here's the prize pool:
1048 entries, 1890 rebuys, 661 add-ons

$35,990. Top 99 pay. $53.98 for 99th-81st. 9K for the winner. Going to be closer to 9K than $54 tonight, right?!

T9o, BB, folds to PF raise.

ammbo raises early(he's big stack). jopo and VIP call. flop checked. jopo bets wuss bet on turn. ammbo says "JJ" and folds. KK9 board, 7 turn made a flush.

52s, SB, folds

ammbo/JThomas limp. 4 hearts hit the board as its checked around. jack high flush takes it in the BB. Very passive after the flop, even w/ big stacks.

Q5s, button - folded to BB

52o, cutoff ghosttrain limps, IADAWG limps(he's very short), jopo checks in BB. ghost bets min bet on the flop, wins pot.

Q7o, cutoff-1, folds - JThomas limps. free flop heads up. 150 bet is called by VIP on flop, another 150 bet on turn wins it for JThomas.

65o, MP, folds - ghost limps UTG. heads up w/ BB - ghost wins with a flop bet.

Everyone got crazy tight so far(or the good cards aren't being dealt)

crap, MP, folds - cutoff jopo open-raises 3x. frenchy(la chat noir) re-raises 1500. Called. jopo has 2500 left, 3100 in pot. 864, two diamonds flop. jopo bets half stack after checked to. frenchy puts him all in, jopo needs to call 1500 into 11K pot. frenchy AA, jopo KQ, 1 diamond, needs runner runner. frenchy wins, jopo out 773rd.

I'm posting more detail trying to get better reads on players here.

65o, UTG+1, folds - SB(ghosttrain) limps, JTHomas checks. ghost bets 150 on KQ3 flop, JTHomas calls. ghost check-raises on the turn(a 2), stil talking min bets. river is checked, ghost had flush draw, JTHomas top pair/bad kicker. ghost limped A7s from SB after folded to him pre-flop.

T5o, UTG, folds - rd2121 joins in the empty seat, $8300 chips.

K3o, BB, VIP limps, JTHomas limps, IADAWG completes, I check. A68 flop, missed me. JThomas bets pot on the button, wins it. He's built up to 9K from 7K so far.

72o, SB, folds - VIP limps, JTHomas limps, IADAWG limps, free flop for Bercht. 666 flop. checked around. 8 turn. IADAWG bets 450. Wins pot. Shows A8o.

94o, button, folds - brecht limps from SB, heads up vs big stack. folds to 300 bet on flop. I hate that limp from anyone.

33, cutoff - VIP limps UTG - frenchy min raise, I fold my 3s. VIP calls. 877 flop. VIP check/calls a 1000 bet. checked turn, a 3rd 7 on theriver, VIP all in, frenchy folds.

Q6o, cutoff-1, folds frenchy and rd2121(SB) limp, 3-way flop. A99 flop. Frenchy bets 500, wins pot.

K9o, MP, folds - ghosttrain raises min UTG. called by frenchy out of BB. min bet into 600 pot by ghosttrain, frenchy check-raises to 600. called. KT7 spades flop btw. 7 turn, frenchy 1K bet, ghost calls. Checked river. AK for frenchy, no 7 for ghost... 4K pot for frenchy. ghost under 3K

97s, MP, folds - brecht (4K stack) open raises to 3x, called by ghost. 450 bet on flop for brecht, raised to 900, then all in on the turn. JT6 flop, 9 turn. KK for brecht, ghost is gone w/ 2nd pair... T7.

42o, UTG, folds - VIP open-raises 3x. Called by IADAWG in BB. 300 bet by VIP on flop wins it.

86o, BB - fold to BB steal raise. (he shows KK, JThomas)

Level 6 - 100/200 blinds

T8o, SB, folds

I am 368th out of 707. Blinded down that round, terrible terrible cards.

QuangT has joined w/ 5K in chips.

I have 6700, about avg for this table, ammbo and frenchy have 10K+, JThomas 9K

T5o, button, folds, frenchy limps(he seems to be playing a lot of pots atm) - free flop heads up for ammbo, 2 big stacks. AA9, two diamonds flop. checked flop. T turn. frenchy bets 800, wins pot.

87o, cutoff, folds - i'm not playing any hands but have no reason to loosen up that much yet I don't think. VIP limps UTG, ammbo completes SB. rd2121 bets 200 on flop of QJ4, two hearts. called by VIP. 3 turn, another 200 bet(into a 1K pot). he wins it. Weak shit there.

T4o, cutoff-1, folds - rd2121 limps from SB, free flop w/ VIP. checked flop, checked turn, checked river. A6 from rd2121 wins unimproved.

T9o, MP, folds - who has all the face cards? JThomas raises min raise to 400. called by SB vIP. AK3 flop. VIP makes 3 min bets, called on all 3. A6 for him wins. What's up with the weakness here? Should I try to attack the table even w/o hands??

J9o, UTG+2, folds - Brecht raises 3x blinds, his standard. wins blinds.

64s, UTG+1, folds - folded around

J2o, UTG, folds - ammbo rases 3x blind. He's been noticibly tight for big stack. rd2121, and VIP both call. QT5, two spades flop. ammbo check, rd bet 1200, VIP all in for 6500. rd thinks a lot, he has to call 5300 into 9K pot. rd2121 folds. 4500 pot for VIP

72o, BB - great BB hand. not unlike my other hands. All of them really. ammbo limps, rd raises 4x to 800. ammbo calls. ammbo checks flop, folds to 1200 bet from rd2121.

Key Hand
AQs, SB - JThomas limps, I raise to 800, 4x BB. I miss the flop, T63 rainbow. I make a pot sized bet into it(1800 chips, enough of my stack to hurt bad), but JThomas folds. Back to 7500.

A4o, button - rd2121 limps, frenchy min raises, I fold. ammbo and rd call. T53 flop checked around. 600 bet on turn from frenchy, flush is out. frenchy wins pot.

95o, cutoff, folds - IADAWG limps w/ JTo from mid position. Other info useless.

KQo, cutoff-1, I fold when IADAWG open-raises to 1K before me. rd2121 re-raises enough to put IADAWG all in. AK vs JJ. king hits the turn, and IADAWG doubles up to 7850(he was short stack at the table). rd down to 4095.

T8s, MP, half-tempted to limp, but tourney chips are precious. I resists. quangT limps UTG, IADAWG does too, frenchy free flop. AJ5 flop, two diamonds. 400 bet from quang, IADAWG calls. frenchy check-raise to 1500. Pot size now 3000. quang calls, IADAWG folds. 4100 pot now, 3100 left for quang. frenchy bets 200 on the turn... trap bet? jack hit the turn. I wanna say frenchy has AJ here. 1K bet on the river (a king). quan 2900 left, he folds, and we'll never know what frenchy has. I think he hit big and tried to trap on the turn.

T6s, MP, folds - rd2121 limps, heads up w/ quang. AQ2 flop checked. bet/fold on the turn, rd2121 wins.

This open limping shit is baffling to me.

Key Hand
TT, UTG+1 - I open-raise to 3x the blind, 600. Dangerous hand here. JThomas calls me. Flop comes 963, two diamonds. I have no diamond. I bet 1400 into the 1300 pot. I win the pot right there. Pleased w/ that for sure.

98o, UTG, folds

I have 8225 chips before the blinds hit. going up a level soon, antes coming in.

Level 7 - 100/200 blinds - 25 ante

Key Hand
QQ in the Big blind. IADAWG open raises from SB to 800. I re-raise him to 2K. He calls time to think. I immediately decide he doesn't have AA/KK and am ready to call an all-in. But he folds. Pretty good pickup.

K9o, SB - I limp after QuangT has limped. Free flop. A93. we check it around. I fear an ace-limp, thoguh I know I shouldn't. Turn is a queen, and I bet out, and win the pot. First post-rebuy mistake? Have I made a noticible one yet? I should have bet out on the flop.

up to 9800.

74s, button, folds

Key Hand
AQo, cutoff - VIP open-raises UTG to 400. IADAWG calls him. What's my move here? I call. (mistake #2?). The flop comes T32. checked to me, I bet 1400. IADAWG thinks for a very long time, and he calls. The turn is a 4. We both check. River a 3rd spade, a king. I call a 400 chip bet from IADAWG(pot is way too big to fold to that). And i find out that his flop call was baffling. A5s. Turned an inside straight+flush darw. rivered a flush.

Is the consensus that I should have re-raised there?

crap, MP, folds
T2o, MP, folds
97o, UTG+1, folds - ammbo raises to 600, rd4121, frenchy and JThomas all call. AA3 flop, two spades. ammbo bets 2200 on the flop. He takes it there. He's tight, I wouldn't call his raises without a solid hand.

K6s, UTG, folds
J9o, BB - VIP limps. JThomas limps. IADAWG limps. I check. I flop inside straight/backdoor flush draws. I don't get to go anywhere w/ them though, 800 bet from IADAWG pushes us out and he wins it.

82o, SB, folds - ammbo UTG limp, rd2121 limp behind him. I'm actually getting 9:1 on my complete, but I don't do it there. K43 flop, checked around. T turn, ammbo bets out 600. rd2121 is only caller. 1K river bet wins for ammbo. rd2121 missed flush I believe.

T7o, button, folds

Down to 7100 in chips now. I am 346 out of 502. A few small wins and one big loss leave me basically even over the last 45 minutes of play.

A2o, cutoff - quang all-in for 1800. he steals blinds.
42s, cutoff-1, folds quang wins another pot, this time UTG+1 limp, then a flop bet.

T2o, MP, folds - JThomas raises min to 400. frenchy calls in BB. 679 flop. JThomas bets 800, frenchy check-raisese to 1600. He does that a ton. gets free turn when a queen hits. free river too. A7o for frenchy, middle pair on flop. It worked, free turn/river, wins pot.

86o, UTG+2, folds ammbo raises min, VIP raises behind to 1K. AJT flop, VIP wins w/ a bet. He's up over 10K now.

Q8s, UTG+1, folds

Level 8 - 200/400 blinds 25 ante

I have 6950 as the level starts. 349th out of 487. Again I end up in the lower half, not desparate but really badly needing to make a move.

K9o, UTG, folds
93o, BB, JThomas raises all in. I fold

Key Hand
KJo, SB - folded to me, I raise to 3x trying to steal. Brecht puts me all in for 3440 more. I'll be VERY short but not out if I lose. I hope he's on AX and I call. Ohhh dammit. He's on Ax alright. AJ. I'm dominated. I don't hit and I'm fucked. He was a short stack, I figure he would come over me with a wide range of hands. That was just a real bad one.

Now I am desparate. 1800 chips left.

Key Hand
QJs, cutoff - QuangT(almost as short as me) all in. I call. HAHAHA. Dominated again. JJ for QuangT. I bust out. Fuck.

Was the KJ call too early? I don't think so, a stack with barely more than 10x the BB, thinking I'm stealing in the Small blind? I think I have to figure I'm very possibly a 60/40 dog, or a coin flip, just ran into a bad hand. But I appreciate thoughts on that one.
Old 08-10-2004, 12:44 PM   #224
Bee
Pro Starter

I just wanted to thank you for the great dynasty. Since you've been posting, I've been playing less poker and getting some of my poker fix vicariously from your thread. So thanks for saving me some money!

Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 12:58 PM   #225
RGunner
High School JV

Radii, tough break in the rebuy tourney, I also played in it, probably one of the best tourneys I have played, but went out like 70 something...at one point i was at about 20k chips, just got into the money got AA and doubled up to 50+k, then a few hands later in the second level of money, got JJ, guy raised before me, so I thought I could take it and he would fold if I went all in, turns out he had AK and flopped an Ace to put me out, woulda been in great shape had i won that hand...only put in 40 bucks though, minimal profit but im up almost 400 bucks in ring games the past 3 nights so its ok..
RGunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 02:53 PM   #226
Radii
Head Coach

Tahnks for the comments Bee, and congrats on cashing last night RGunner I wont' get to play tonight at all. Most likely if I play any multi-tables the rest of the week, I will try to get into one of the $11 satellites into the $200 Sunday tourney. I am loving the $11 rebuy tournament, but at 10:15 on a "school night" they run too long. Even with no cards you still play til midnight, no good when I have to get up at 6:30. But there is the potential to play them on weekends so I won't be totally forsaking them. Just a new schedule w/ school back in now
Old 08-10-2004, 03:07 PM   #227
Malificent
High School JV

ammbo is a 2+2 poster, if I remember correctly, which suggests tight and aggressive.
Malificent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 03:57 PM   #228
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malificent
ammbo is a 2+2 poster, if I remember correctly, which suggests tight and aggressive.

He was definitely one of the best at my table. during the rebuy period he was extremely agressive trying to build his stack, and wasn't showing down a lot of hands, so when I went all in with my A+flush draw I had a totally different read on him than I do now.

After the rebuy period ended, I basically threw away my reads on most everyone(and everyone got so tight immediately after the rebuy period that seemed the correct thing to do), and ammbo immediately became the person I feared most at the table.

I need to start making more notes on players, what hands they raise with, etc, at different stages in tournaments. As I get better at being agressive and being able to take selective risks to build my stack, I have to start improving at getting quick reads on the table, to see who I can steal blinds from and who I can't, whose raises are to be respected and whose aren't, things like that. I do this at some level already, of course, but I learned just by writing down more detail on each hand, that I can be much more thorough and get a much better read on my opponents.
Old 08-12-2004, 10:37 AM   #229
Radii
Head Coach

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...fpart=1#916101

I posted that, obviously.

I entered the 500 FPP 10pm satellite into the Sunday tourney last night. With 225 entries, and only 9 making it to the Sunday tourney, I figured to take chances early, and I expected to bust out early. b/c of that, I didn't write up the tourney, and I kept playing my ring games. I probably played my best tournament poker ever. I did get two lucky double-ups in the first hour, and I was ahead of the average for quite awhile.

I had about 4 coin-flips, and won them all. I had an all-in over a short stack where I held QQ, he held 66. 6 on the flop, but my queen hits the turn. Another all in vs a very short stack, my AT beats his AJ.

Everything was going my way, and with about 30 left, I was about 15th in chips. I couldn't get ahead though. AA got folded to. I made just enough steals to stay alive, and was the short stack with 10 left.

That's where the 2+2 post comes in.

===================================================
Table 1 has 5 people of ~equal stack size. About 35K each with 1000/2000 blinds + antes(50 at that point I think?). None of them are taking any risks at all. All 5 know that they are in.

Table 2 has 5 people as well. Chipleader has about 60K. to his left is a guy with 30K. I have 13K. To my left is a 15K stack, followed by a 17K stack.

As the short stack here, with two other small stacks just ahead of me, should i be trying to push ahead of those two in chips somehow, or should I be going into a shell, waiting for AA-QQ and waiting for one of the other two short stacks to make a stand?

There hadn't been a flop in a number of hands, steals left and right. Blinds are 1000/2000 w/ antes, and we are less than a minute from 1500/3000 w/ antes(75 antes now I think). I get KTs on the button. folded to me, the other two short stacks behind me. Do you push or fold? How clear cut is the decision?
===================================================

Curious about what those here think of this as well.

In other news, I won 25 BB in my ring play last night, 2nd day in a row of very solid winnings at 2/4. I'm still down in pokertracker, but thanks to bonus money I'm ahead on the month. Bankroll back up over $2350 and I am hopefully well on my way to profitability again. I've been very happy with my play the last couple of days.

Last edited by Radii : 08-12-2004 at 10:38 AM.
Old 08-12-2004, 12:09 PM   #230
dixieflatline
High School Varsity

Congrats on the tourney Radii. I am assuming that since you didn't post the final result that you pushed and lost. KTs on the button is a pretty solid hand especially considering the situation. I would think that the blinds would be very scared of calling with a marginal had here. Maybe a 6K raise? You are kind of pot committed but maybe that looks like you want to be called and might be more scary than an all in before the flop? If you can pick up a couple of blinds and get higher in chips than one of the other short stacks you are in great shape with position. It is much harder for them to steal blinds from players with stacks that can afford an all in loss.
dixieflatline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 12:13 PM   #231
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

I would have folded it, myself (wow.. that's a first).. since you were on the button.. you have plenty of time to get a hand before the blinds come back.. if it was ATs.. then I would have gone with it.. but you don't even have a nut flush draw here..
Old 08-12-2004, 12:29 PM   #232
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie
I would have folded it, myself (wow.. that's a first).. since you were on the button.. you have plenty of time to get a hand before the blinds come back.. if it was ATs.. then I would have gone with it.. but you don't even have a nut flush draw here..

It was 5-handed(10 left total, 2 5-man tables), so the blinds are coming hard and fast. I can fold for ~15 hands before I blind all the way out though. If I fold, I have 13K, in two hands I post a 3K BB, after that a 1.5K SB. Not saying your answer is necessarily wrong, but just making sure you have the right situation in mind, that this isn't a full table where I have 7 hands before I have to pay a blind again.

Quote:
Maybe a 6K raise? You are kind of pot committed but maybe that looks like you want to be called and might be more scary than an all in before the flop?

I've seen that response too on the fool.com's poker board, and I am starting to like it more and more(but I'm not sure it's what I would do if I was in this situation again).

I'll post what did happen in a bit, but I think sometimes people's advice is skewed by the results so I will see if thre are other responses first.
Old 08-13-2004, 12:02 AM   #233
Radii
Head Coach

I join a $30 3-table NL tourney on partypoker. Nothing going on at Stars that I'm interested in.

I sit at Table 3, meaning I'll be moving.

Level 1- 10/15 blinds

95o, button, folds - AQ knocks out AA, straight.
43o, cutoff, folds
K8o, cutoff-1, folds

ATs, cutoff-2, I limp, shoulda raised, only a 3-way pot, i fold to a bet on the flop.
J5s, MP, folds
87o, UTG+1, folds
T8o, UTG, folds
Q3o, BB, free flop 5 way, fold.

Key Hand
AA, SB - 2 limp before me, I raise to 60 chips. 3 call(BB/2 limpers). Flop comes T75, two spades. Scary enough to me that I'll bet it hard, no big time money extraction here... I bet the pot, 240 chips. Everyone folds it.

89s, button - I limp into a 5-way pot, and fold when i hit bottom pair but it's a bad flop for me, AJ9, two diamonds(not my suit).
AJo, cutoff - I fold to a big raise pre-flop
32o, cutoff-1, folds

Level 2 - 10/20 blinds

5 gone, 25 remain.

AQo, MP - I open-raise to 70 chips. I steal the blinds.

I have 1165 chips. I'm in 4th in chips at the table.

JTs, I limp and then call a 40 chip raise to get into a 4-way pot. I fold when the flop misses and there's a bet.
A4o, MP, folds
32o, UTG, folds

96o, BB, folds to raise - 100 raise followed by a 720 all-in. all-in wins it.
76o, SB - folds to raise
A2o, button, folds
A3s, cutoff, folds to raise
K6o, cutoff-1, folds
Q7s, MP, folds
crap, MP, folds
T6o, UTG, folds

Level 3- 15/30 blinds
Q2o, BB, free 4-way flop. misses, folds.

23 remain, only a couple out last levle. I have 1045 chips after the blinds pass.

53o, SB, folds
72s, button, folds

21 left, almost down to 2 tables.

Q3o, cutoff, folds

Moved to a new table, into MP on table 2.

K5o, MP, folds

Kangback has a big stack, two to my left. two guys have 1800-1900, one has 1500... that's it for big stacks, so despite the average being well over 1000 chips by now, my 1030 isn't so terrible here.

Q5o, UTG+1, folds
KTs, UTG, folds

Levle 4 - 25/50 blinds

Still 20 left. Avg stack 1500. I have 980 after BB.

93o, BB, free 5-way flop, which not suprisingly missesme and I fold.
A5o, SB - folds to a 3x raise+a call behind.

Key Hand
A8o, button - a shorter than me stack limps, and folded arond to me after that. I make a play at the pot, and raise to 200 chpis. I am called by the big stack out of the BB, as well as the smaller stack. Flop comes 552. I don't have a great hand and the giant stack at the table is in the pot with me, I decide not to make a move here. Turjn is a 3 and i fold to a large bet from big stack.

J8o, cutoff, folds - KK knocks out JJ.
J7o, cutoff-1, folds
54s, MP, folds
T4o, UTG+2, folds
A7o, UTG - not desparate enough to try to steal from UTG yet.

92s, BB - This is tough. 3-way flop. I flop bottom pair and the flush draw. J32, two hearts flop. lead out the pot (150 chips) and win it there.

Level 5 - 50/100 blinds

KJs, SB - a short stack raises 300. He has 300 more after that. A raise from me would carry no weight, he's pot committed. WIthout any fold equity, I don't think that's worth pushing him on.

T7o, button, folds

I have 805 in chips. Enough left at the table that I'm not desparate, but I'm basically pot committed any hand I play.

A4o, cutoff, folds
T6s, cutoff-1, folds
83s, cutoff-1 (after someone gets moved), folds
T4s, UTG+2, folds
73o, UTG+1, folds
JTo, UTG, folds

K2o, BB, 800 all in, and a call. I fold. 99 busts out to AK.

Key Hand
T7s, SB - I limp into a 4-way pot. I flop a flush draw, KQ9 with two spades. I go all in, and get one caller. I'm called by A3 of a different suit. I'm behind but not by very much I don't think. I hit the flush on the turn and I win the pot, doubling up + some to 1510 chips.

crap, button, folds

Key Hand
A9o, cutoff - 6 handed in the c utoff I think this is worth a raise here. I open to 300 chips. A smaller stack calls but he goes all in on the 700 flop, and I have to fold. Good play by him.

K7o, UTG+1, folds

Level 6 - 75/150 blinds

K4o, UTG, folds

Q8o, BB - SB limps to me. I check. Flop comes Qxx, two diamonds. SB has me covered by a lot. SB bets 150, I raise to 600, pot committing me but not all in yet. SB calls. Turn is the 8 of diamonds. I go all in. I am called by 78o, and I win the big pot.

few crap hands, folded.

I have 2345 in chips now, 5 minutes left in this leevel.

11 left, almost final table time. Ahh, there we go, down to 10 as I type that. 4 minutes til 100/200.

83s, UTG, folds

we're already down to 8 here.

Key Hand
AQs, BB - a big stack UTG limps, then the big stack in the SB raises to 450. I am not sure what the best action is here. A re-raise is half my stack, and if your'e going to re-raise half, just go all in. Ok, I go all in. both fold and I am happy to pick up 600 chips.

Level 7 - 100/200 blinds - 1 hr break

Starting to my left:

btyphoidmary - 5245 chips
mojomug - 1775
mikehburke - 900
spheremonk - 3895
jtryzbiak - 2690
Kangback - 5230
GentlemanJack - 7320
radii - 2945

The top 3 in chips are way ahead of the rest of us. 4th is almost 1K over me. I'm 5th and 6th is just behind me.

Remember, top 5 get paid. 8 left, so only 3 more need to go out. Lets play a bit better on the bubble this tourney, shall we?

K8o, SB, folds
72o, button, folds - blinds passing through the two short stacks over the next 3 hands.

mojomug is AFK. folded BB to a limp. Sux for him.

Q8o, cutoff, folds - big stack steals blinds from two shorts.

A5o, cutoff-1, folds
42o, MP, folds
63o, MP, folds
K3s, UTG, folds

Key Hand
A4s, BB - 600 stack goes all-in. 400 for me to call, no one else in the pot, so I clal it. He shows ATo. Flop is great, 234, I'm up. Turn is a 5, not so great, we're tied. River is the 4th spade, he has the ten of spades. I lose the hand. I'm down to 2145 chips. Still 5th w/ jtryzbiak draining a fe w off too.

crap, button, folds - mojomug wins a nice sized pot, up to 2275.

Key Hand
TT, cutoff - a giant stack raises to 700. Raise or fold? likely a coin flip, possibly I'm dominated, possibly i'm ahead against Axs or something like that... I push all-in. Kangback calls, and he has AK. Flop 789, turn and river are both lower than that. I double up to 4590!!!

crap, MP, folds

kangback's QQ knocks out short stack's 77.

crap, UTG+1 - spheremonk's AQ knocks out KJ from Mikehburke.

6 remain, I'm 3rd in chips. mojomug has 2175, btyphoidmary has 3445.

crap, UTG, folds

KQo, BB - I call the min raise from KangBack. I'm protecting my chips vs the big stack though. T62, I give it up on that flop when he bets.

Level 8 - 150/300 blinds

Q8s, SB, limp after 1 limper, folds to a flop bet when i miss bad.

I have 3890 in chips.

two short stacks going at it in the blinds. big pot building on the flop, mojomug goes all in w/ JT, top two pair. btyphoidmary got too attached to AQo, and didn't bet nearly big enough on that flop. mojomug has 4200. btyphoid mary is on the button now w/ 970 chpis.

btyphoidmary goes all in on a flush draw vs top pair and loses!

In the Money

5 left. I am the short stack but I have 10x the BB so I'm not in terible shape.

gentlemanjak has 8300, kangback 8100, spheremonk 5300, mojomug 4200, radii 3590

i fold my blinds to raises.

A9o, button - open-raise to 900, win blinds.
T6o, cutoff, folds
85s, UTG, folds
T2s, BB, folds to raise
32o, SB, folds
Q2s, button, folds
Q5o, MP, folds

Key HAnd
KJs, UTG - I raise to 900 chpis. spheremonk calls me. Flop is the most beautiful thing ever. QT9. I check the flop. Free turn is a 2. Brings out a backdoor flush draw. I bet small, 550 chips, and get re-raised to 1250. I call, assured he'll call anything on the river. The river is the single worst card I could see, a king. I go all in, he calls. He shows JJ and did I slowplay it too much? Maybe so.

Level 9 - 200/400 blinds

few hands folded.

92o, BB, folds to raise.

Key Hand
A5s, SB - button(gentlemanjak, big stack) raises pre-flop. I think awhile, and re-raise all in. I figure the chance he's on a pure steal and may fold + that he's on Kx makes this a good chance for me to re-steal/push on him. HE thinks a long time as well, and I guess figures it's worth 1500 more for him to try to knock me out. He calls with J3o. flop is 9TQ, I hate that... but, I hit an ace and I hold up, whew.

Took awhile to write that up.. crap folded around to my BB.

A7s, BB - jak limps to me, I check. Flop is Axx, checked, I bet the pot and I win it.

I am in great shape now, 2nd in chips, but everyone still has at least 3500, so it's a long way from even 5th being decided.

jak goes down to 2100 chpis pushing into the big stack, big stack came over him and he folded.

A3o, MP, folds to 2000 raise.
crap, UTG< folds
62o, BB, folds to anything
75o, SB - kangback raises, folds again.

3 stacks right around 3K now. kangback running over the table with 15K.

98o, MP, folds
Q4, UTG, folds
96o, BB, folds
J4o, SB, folds
T5o, folds

Level x - 300/600 blinds

Key HAnd
QQ, MP - I raise to 1500, and the monster sttack calls me out of the BB. Flop comes Kxx, two spades. He bets big into me, and I decide to fold. That takes a big chunk out of my stack but if he has a king I'm in huge huge trouble.

I have to fold crap through my blinds.

4 of us around 2900, big stack 17K. This is nuts.

A6o, BB - raised all in, I'm going to wait. Bad move perhaps, I think I can move up a ton more still though

Jak all in vs another short stack, J8 vs KJ, but an 8 saves him.

Woo, FINALLY. Up to 4th. 66 vs AA all in, Kang has the AA. 22K vs 2K vs 2K vs 2K... nutso. crapshoot for 2nd.

Afgter a round through the blinds w/o a face card, mojo and I have 1K. Jak 1900. mojo doulbes up to 2800, me and jak next.

K6o, BB - jak folds to me, yay.

T2o, SB - gotta give that up. jak goes all in w/ A6, mojo calls with 68. 68 flop!

Down to 3.

I go all in on QTs and double up off of Kang. Mojo has me by a fair amount but I can still snag 2nd here.

TT about 3 hands later. All in, mojo calls. kang might call too! HE does. playing for 5K. 733 flop, two spades. Kang bets hard, I dunno why. They should have checked me down, he had nothing. I double up.

Very next hand, JJ. I go all in when kang checks to me. I win the pot. I have 5400, mojo 2900.

Level x 400/800 blinds

I call a bet w/ AK but fold on the flop, trying to outlast mojo again.

mojo all in for 1250. I have 74s. 400 more for me to call. I do and he wins it.

Next hand I go all in w/ A3 and steal mojo's blinds. We're even again.

mojo Q3 doubles up off kang's 9T.

JJ in my big blind, WOOT. I doulbe up off kang's A3 back to 2600.

mojo al in on Q9. kang has A3. queen and a 9 hit. stayin alive.

I have to fold 95 on my BB. 1400 to mojo's 5000.

All in for 1060 AT. Called by Kang's A4. 4 hits but then 4 diamonds come. I flush and stay alive.

KJs... i run into mojo's A7, and he hits two pair. we both have hearts so I am out there.

That was kinda craazy at the end. I cannot complain about a 3rd place finish though.

I pay $33 to enter, and win $180, a solid profit, and a great feeling as its my first place in one of these in some time.
Old 08-13-2004, 12:14 AM   #234
Radii
Head Coach

That win + solid play recently in ring games has gotten me back up on the month. I believe I started August w/ $2250, and lost a fair amount during the first week of the month. I am now back up to $2450.
Old 08-13-2004, 09:00 AM   #235
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixieflatline
I am assuming that since you didn't post the final result that you pushed and lost.

Ran into AK, flopped a flush draw but came up empty.

I posted this b/c at the time it seemed like an obvious steal attempt, but when I mentioned that on another board, I got one comment indicating that it was a "terrible, impatient play". So I asked for additional opinions there and posted on 2+2 as well(and got a whopping 1 response). I certainly wasn't trying to prove the "terrible play" response wrong, but I was now unsure of what the right way to play in this situation was... short stack, on the bubble, all I have to do is survive to the next place.

With 15 hands left after reading all comments from all places I think if I ended up in that situation again i'd fold and hope one of the other two stacks busted before me. All I need is 1 chip left when we get down to 9.
Old 08-13-2004, 09:11 AM   #236
Radii
Head Coach

I haven't played too many 3-table's lately. Here's my updated 3-table stats.

Entered: 23
Entry Fees paid: $759
1st: 1
2nd: 0
3rd: 2
4th: 2
5th: 2

ITM%: 30.4%
Money Won: $1080
ROI: 42.2%

One decent finish w/ this small a sample increases the ROI from under 30% to back over 40%.
Old 08-13-2004, 01:43 PM   #237
RGunner
High School JV

Good job on the tourney Radii, i am really enjoying this its a great read... Played in my first big tourney on Party Poker late last night, a 100+9 one, ended up finishing second out of 100 to bring home 1700 bucks, was amazing..

At one point with about 15 left, top 13 get paid, wasnt the short stack but wasnt in the middle either.. I'm dealt AQs, guy before me (the huge stack with twice as much as anybody else, had gotten extremely lucky about 8 times on the river) bets out about 2000 chips, I push all in, he calls, I catch and Ace to beat his JJ, he goes crazy for the rest of his tournament, which is only about 15 more minutes as he busts out like 12th. Did I play this wrong? I thought I played it well.

Another time, I was once again the lower stack at about 9k, high stack was about 20k. I am dealt 99, i raise pre flop, three callers, flop comes I hit my set, guy bets I go all in over the top, he calls, he has a straight, river comes and hits a full house for me and i beat him. Different story on this ending, this guy was amazingly cool about it, and ended up finishing 4th although going down to about 2000 chips on that.

Overall a great tourney, first time I put money into Partypoker last night, deposited 200, now i have a bankroll of 1800-1900, nice.
Old 08-13-2004, 02:17 PM   #238
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGunner
At one point with about 15 left, top 13 get paid, wasnt the short stack but wasnt in the middle either.. I'm dealt AQs, guy before me (the huge stack with twice as much as anybody else, had gotten extremely lucky about 8 times on the river) bets out about 2000 chips, I push all in, he calls, I catch and Ace to beat his JJ, he goes crazy for the rest of his tournament, which is only about 15 more minutes as he busts out like 12th. Did I play this wrong? I thought I played it well.

My first thought is that if you're playing for 1st and would rather bust out now trying to win than make the money playing a little tighter, then it's probably ok. If the big stack has been trying to steal a lot(which he probably should on the bubble w/ a giant stack) then you can put him on a very wide range of hands and a push will probably make him fold most of the time because he won't have anything nearly as strong as JJ. Unless he's overly tight w/ his big stack, it seems ok to me given the above parameters.

But hey, I have only placed in one of the multitle of big MTT's I've played in.

Congrats on your finish, that's awesome
Old 08-13-2004, 02:19 PM   #239
RGunner
High School JV

Well Radii, he was the big stack, so he constantly bullied with anything, and called all in bets and sucked out 3/4 of the time, so I figured I had to, and I was goin for first I had to make a move.
Old 08-13-2004, 06:04 PM   #240
Radii
Head Coach

I join a 3-table NL tourney on party, shooting to get a good result like last night.

Level 1 - 10/15 blinds

I start on table 1, so these guys I will see til they bust out for the most part.

96o, UTG+1, folds T4s all in on inside straight draw + flush draw vs QQ. inside draw hits, fowlick doubles up.
K9o, UTG, folds AK vs AT all in... AT down to 95 chips.
98s, BB - free 3-way flop, folds to a miss though
63o, SB, I complete for 5 chips and fold on the flop
43s, button - limp into a 6 way pot, but have to fold on the flop
QTo, cutoff, folds
A3o, cutoff-1, folds
J2o, MP, folds
72o, MP, folds
63o, UTG+1, fold

Level 2 - 10/20 blinds

an uneventful level for me, 955 chips left.

T6o, UTG, folds
J4s, BB, folds to raise
Q3s, SB - complete for 10 chips into a 5 way pot, but again I have to fold when I don't catch anything.
K4o, button, folds
97s, cutoff, folds
65o, cutoff-1, folds

Level 3 - 15/30 blinds

J8o, UTG+2, folds
93o, UTG+1, folds
crap, UTG, folds

915 chips after another uneventful level.

28 still remain in the tourney.

53o, BB - free flop 4-way, and this looks good enough to stab at, 663. I bet the pot(120) and take it down, getting me back up to 1005 in chips.

K5o, SB - another limp into 5 way action, another flop that doesn't even give me a little bite, and I fold.
75o, button, folds
86o, cutoff, folds
T2o, cutoff-1, folds
K4o, MP, folds

Level 4 - 25/50 blinds

Didn't get through many hands that level... 25 hands in 30 minutes though is about right.

63o, UTG+2, folds

We now have 5 people gone from the tourney. My stack is 975 chips. Make that 6 gone, flush draw all in vs straight draw on the flop, the high card(straight draw) takes it.

94o, UTG+1, folds
65o, UTG, folds
62o, BB, folds
A2s, SB - an ace? I haven't seen one of those in awhile. Too bad taht's a duece following it. I go ahead and limp anyway after two before me limp. the BB raises to 200 and I'm gone. BB raiser had A5o, and hit a flush w/ his ace.
K7o, button, folds

22 remain, 2 tables soonish. I'd like a playable hand please.

K3o, cutoff, folds - down to 20 as AQ beats QT on an AQT flop.

87o, UTG+2, folds
T8o, UTG+1, folds

we haven't merged yet for some reason. Maybe a long hand going on at another table.

Level 5 - 50/100 blinds

Last time I played in a tourney this uneventful for me, I busted 15th. This time I'd prefer to think a great run of cards is right around the corner. At 50/100 I defnitely have to loosen up though.

We are 8 handed as two went out in the last two hands here.

QJs, BB - There's a limp and a raise to 450, I think about it but this isn't the hand I want to bust out on. I fold.
54o, SB - folds

This leaves me with 725 in chips. Blech.

75o, button, folds
A6o, cutoff, again I fold to a big pre-flop raise.
72o, cutoff-1, folds
J4s, MP, folds
T7s, MP, folds
J2s, UTG+1, folds

I'll wait through the blinds for a good situation, after that I'm too short, I have to go on good cards. This stinks.

J8s, UTG, folds

84o, BB - one limper, waldomushman who has been limping quite a bit, the SB thinks forever, and limps. Free flop. It's enough for me with this number of chips. 872 with three hearts. I have top pair but no heart. I bet the pot on the flop, waldo calls. I go all in on the turn(no heart). Waldo calls. Waldo has 55. The 6 on the turn gave him a ton of outs.. not as many as I thought though

Code:
Holdem Hi: 44 enumerated boards containing 6s 8h 7h 2h cards win %win lose %lose tie %tie EV 5d 5h 14 31.82 30 68.18 0 0.00 0.318 4s 8c 30 68.18 14 31.82 0 0.00 0.682

I hold up, and I win the pot. 5s give me a straight to counterfit two of his.

I fold crap through MP here.

Level 6 - 75/150 blinds

I have 1500 in chips, 10x the BB, enough to hang around and wait for another good opportunity basically.

54o, UTG+1, folds

We've finally started to see some attrition, we're down to 15. I'd like to see the final table at the break, but we'll see.

14 left as 22 hits trips to beat AK.

64o, UTG, folds

13 left as something happens on the other table.

63o, BB, folds to raise.
Q4o, SB - folds to raise
J9o, button, folds
K8o, cutoff, folds
A2o, UTG+1, folds

We're now 6 handed at this table.

Key Hand
AJo, UTG - I raise to 450 chips. 2 very big stacks are behind me, and one of them puts me all in. With 825 left and the blinds hitting next hand, I have to call(unless the other big stack stays in too... ok, he folded). I have to hope he's on a small pair and we're 50/50. Eep. He has AQ. Flop, KTx. Turn, QUEEN, STRAIGHT. River, ten. I win the hand and double up+a little.

Decision
AJo, SB - same hand. Button goes all in for 1000 chips. I think about it awhile, he could have anything... I decide to fold. BB calls the all in, he has AK, 1000 has 55. a 5 hits and JennyChu gets some help.

ok, that takes su to the break as I fold some crap.

Final Table

On the last hand before the 1 hour break, three guys end up all in, top pair vs 2nd pair vs 3rd pair on the flop. Top pair was the biggest stack, and two people bust out!

Level 7 - 100/200 blinds - hour break

I am 6th in chips and very alive, beating the hand that dominated me has put me in decent enough(not great by far, but decent) shape to try to make the money and win this thing.

Around the table:

mastercuz - 4976 chips
vldn7 - 3757 chips
mazzy188 - 1599 chips
dubbeemin - 5198 chips
metternich - 3215 chips
sharkinz - 7750 chips
jennychu - 955 chips
radii - 2550 chips

Key Hand
ATs - First hand after the break. jennychu goes all in for 955 chips. I decide to call. Jenny has KJ to my AT. A jack on the board and I am fucked! Coulda played tight to try to make the money off others mistakes, but I still have 1595 chips left and I woulda likely needed some help to make the money anyway, I'm ok with this decision.

Q6o, UTG+2, folds
J5o, UTG+1, folds
62o, UTG, folds
63s, BB - big stack limps on the button, I check. QT9 flop and I fold.
KTo, SB - short stack goes all in for 1400 or so, I fold
J7o, button, folds

1295 in chips after that round of blinds.

K4o, cutoff, folds
73o, cutoff-1, folds
64s, MP, folds
J7o, UTG+1, folds
73o, UTG, folds

T6o in my big blind. sharkinz(big stack) just limps again... jennychu completes and I check. I flop an inside striaght draw but jenny bets and i'm not going all in on that 3-way. shark raises jenny and wins the pot.

T4s, SB - folds
T8s, button, folds

Level 8 - 150/300 blinds

I'm real short.

Key Hand
I raise all in w/ 995 chips with AKo. vldn7 comes over for 4K chips. He has AQ. Domination works this time! AK holds up and I'm still in this thing with 2290 chips.

folded one crap hand.

Key Hand
JJ UTG+2 - I open-raise to 1200. re-raised all in by bigger stack in BB. He has 99!!! I double up again!!!!

crap, UTG+1, folds - one of the short stacks goes out!
crap, UTG, folds

76o BB - folds to raise
75o, SB, folds

button, folds

Q2s, cutoff, folds

oliegirl and kiddo just got home hence the lack of specific hands.

jennychu doulbes up to 1600 w/ KT over dubbeemin's A9. dang.

J4o, UTG+2, folds
K6s, UTG+1, folds - jennychu all in 1670. called by big stack's AK. jenny has 77, hits a set, wins, up to 3200.
J4s, UTG, folds

That stretch hurt, instead of two very very short stacks going all the way out there's only one real short stack and two stacks barely below mine.

A2o, BB, folds to 1100 raise.

Level 9 - 200/400 blinds

QTo, folds to raise

metternich has 1275, jennychu 3040, dubbeemin 3288, I have 3780. mastercuz 4700, vldn7 5300, sharkinz 8000. Two more to go out before the money.

75o, button, folds - mastercuz's 4K stack takes on shark's 7K stack. Mastercuz wins a big pot and is up to 6K.

T8o, cutoff, folds
K9o, MP, folds to sharkinz's 1200 raise. metternich calls all in. AJ vs K4. metternich hits 3 kings

Q8s, UTG+1, folds

two 2700 stacks/3050 stack/me at 3780... - biiig confrontation between mastercuz and sharkinz. shark loses to trip kings from mastercuz. shark down under 3K.

92o, BB - folds to 2700 all-in.
Q9o, SB - folds to raise
94o, button, folds

2550/2905/ME 3180/3240/3288 are stack sizes... two big stacks only now. STill 7 of us.

54o, cutoff, folds

the two big stacks are directly to my left. Makes blind stealing hard.

T5o, MP, folds

A8s, UTG+1 - I open-raise to 1200 and steal the blinds.
96o, UTG, folds
84o, BB - dubbeemin all in agin. CALLED BY SHARKINZ. KT vs JJ. sharkinz's JJ holds up. Unfortunate, he woulda been busted. 1183 from dubbee now though is all that he has left.

dubbeemin busts out on my SB, big stack calls out of blind and wins.

88, button, I open-raise to 1200. I'm called by mastercuz. An ace and a king hit the board and I am the short stack when I have to fold it.

on the bubble... my play here has been less than stellar lately.

I am short with 1980, mttermich has 2150, jennychu 3240. sharkinz 4410. vld and mastercuz are big. Blinds hitting me soon though and they'll be bigger.

92o, UTG

Level 10 - 300/600 blinds

K8o, BB - I fold to an all in.
T8o, SB - folds

Key HAnd
AJo, button - I call an all in by sharkinz. I fear domination badly, but I have 1000 chips with 300/600 blinds...

It's a coin flip, he has 99, and a 9 hits the flop. Fuck.

Playing to win instead of playing ot make the money, and the two hands I tried to play on the bubble went very poorly for me. Now, with yet another bubble finish, am I doing something fundamently wrong here or is my play ok?
Old 08-13-2004, 10:16 PM   #241
Radii
Head Coach

I enter the 20K $11 rebuy tourney on pokerstars.

Today I rebuy immediately to try to give me an advantage if I hit a big hand early.

Level 1 - 10/20 blinds

86o, MP, folds
87s, UTG+1, I limp into a 6-way pot. Bottom pair on a 3-club board isn't enough for me, i fold
84o, UTG, folds
Q4o, BB, folds to 500 raise PF

Registration closes with 925 entries, a pretty large field.

62s, SB, i complete into a 4 way pot and fold on the flop
Q7o, button, folds
crap, cutoff, folds
A6o, cutoff-1, folds to 80 raise

Key Hand
AKo in MP. Jibboo raises small, I re-raise him to 200 chips. A smaller stack w/ about 1400 chpis goes all in, as does Jibboo, I figure to be a coin flip to both, and maybe i'll have one dominated given rebuy play. Well, I've never seen this. AA vs KK vs AK. I rebuy.

crap, UTG+1, folds
93o, UTG, folds

Q2o, BB, I flop a straight draw in a 6 way pot. 9TJ flop. We all check around. The turn gives me top pair :P Queen makes it QJT9, QT9 are all clubs. I fold to a bet.
Q2o, SB, folds
73o, button, folds
A4o, cutoff, folds
J5s, cutoff-1, folds

AQo, I raise to 100, and I win the blinds. Whee.

Level 2 - 15/30 blinds

Still have exactly 3000.

J5o, UTG+1, folds
J2o, UTG, folds

Key Hand
K8o, BB - free flop 5 handed. Flop is good, AK8, two pair. I bet smallish, 70 chips into the 120 pot. I get heads up with JMFISH(with a great hulk logo), he's got about 700 chips left. Turn is a queen, I bet the pot and he calls. River is a jack, and I put him all in, if he's got a 10, oh well... he doesn't, shows A2 and I take the pot. Up to 4125 in chips for now, a decent gain.

SB/button crap folded.

66, cutoff - a rare fold around, I open-raise to 120 w/ my 6s, and I take the pot.
Q4o, cutoff-1, folds.

I'm currently 175th out of 864 remaining.

T9o, MP, folds
74o, MP, folds
KTo, UTG+1, folds
A4o, UTG, folds
65o, BB, folds to PF raise
A4o, SB, folds to raise
K2o, button, folds
T2o, cutoff, folds
95o, cutoff-1, folds
Q3o, MP, folds

77, UTG+2, I limp in and we're 4 handed. Two overcards and I fold. Then I watch a 7 on the turn. And a 7 on the river. Oh well.

Level 3 - 25/50 blinds

J3o, UTG+1, folds
Q2o, UTG, folds
J3o, BB, folds to raise PF

Still 30 minutes during the rebuy period.

99, SB - one limps, and I raise to 200 chips out of the SB. BB and cutoff call me. The flop comes J82, all clubs. I think a minute and check, and the BB goes all in. We both fold.

T7s, button, folds
Q2o, cutoff, folds
94s cutoff-1, folds
T7s, MP, folds
J9o, MP, folds
T5s, UTG+2, folds

54s, UTG, I try to limp and fold to a raise behind.

Q6o, bB, folds to raise PF

Key Hand
QJs, SB - Here's a hand I want to play. I have to call a raise, but I need to move up a lot more, I call 125 here. Flop comes 653, two of my suit. Overcards and a flush draw. I call a 500 chip bet, the turn is a great card for me, it makes my flush, and it's a king, giving me the 2nd nuts. We both check the turn. the river is a ten. I lead out for 1000 chips. I want to go all in but I think he knows exactly what I have and I think he might call 1000. He does, probably b/c of what he hit... pocket 10s.

That increase pushes me up to 5595 in chips, a nice boost but I would really really like to be able to push upwards of 10K before the hour break. The table isn't going insane with the rebuys though so I have to play reasonably solid and not take a ton fo chances right now. Perhap it'll open back up a little in the last round and i'll have a chance to take advantage.

A few hands folded while I type.

Key Hand
99, UTG+2. I flop a set in a 3-way pot after open-raising to 200. Flop is 976 two herats though. It's very coordinated. i check and call a bet. This is a huge mistake, this board was way too scary to slowplay. The turn sucks, the ten of hearts. an 8 makes a straight and the heart draw just hit. I check and call a 1500 bet. Why? I'm stuck, I guess. I know I'm not playing this right but I'm hoping to re-draw to a boat. The river.... an 8. straight on the board. Both of us check, and I see K7o, no hearts at all. Dang.

A few hands folded... I have 5483 in chips.

11 minutes left. I'm in pretty good shape, 200th out of 700ish left, but I'd love to improve further still.

A4o, cutoff, folds
A4o, cutoff-1, folds
95o, MP, folds
T8o, MP, folds
52o, UTG, folds
62o, BB, folds

Key HAnd
97s, SB - I call a raise to 200 chips to see a 5-way flop. Flop gives me top pair + inside straight draw. I lead out and bet the pot. Everyone folds. A solid pickup for me in a dangerous situation.

Wow, we see a great hand. Flop is 987. 3 ppl go all in for a large number of chips, around 9500. AA vs 99 vs 56. Aces vs trips vs a made straight. An 8 on the turn and DesEsseintes wins a big big hand.

I add on and enter round two with 8283 chpis.

posting this now so I can switch from this terrible laptop to the desktop.
Old 08-13-2004, 10:31 PM   #242
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Phew! Based on that short post, I thought it might have been an early exit. Radii - Do you mind if I kibitz your table?
Old 08-13-2004, 10:52 PM   #243
Radii
Head Coach

didn't see a reply, not at all, I'm at table 90 right now
Old 08-13-2004, 11:23 PM   #244
Radii
Head Coach

20K guarenteed hour 2

Level 5 - 75/150 blinds

The rebuy period is over. I start in 200th out of 729 remaining.

99, UTG+1, I open-raise to 450 and fold when nschiling comes over me for 1500 more.

During the break Jibboo and brett66 seem to have a rather intelligent conversation about tournament EV and rebuying. nschilling talks to ammbo from a previous tournament who's on the rail here, so I think we have a fair # of 2+2'ers at this table.

QTs, UTG, folds

Key Hand
42o, BB - I get a free flop 5-handed. Flop comes Q52. We all check around. The turn is a 4, I have bottom two pair. I bet the pot, 750 chips, and am raised 750 more by feartotears, he was UTG here. He limped UTG. What could he have? Well, I have absolutely no idea if he's a good player or not. Did he want to check-raise the flop with a set, or did he have AQ and think I'm weak? I call the 750, but on teh river he goes all in for 3300 more. I think for awhile, and if he's a decnet player I have him on AQ or a set. That's damn agressive with AQ, with my pot sized bet on the turn... I dunno, I'm trying to get better at putting people on hands, but right now I fear a set too much. I fold.

I am down my add-on basically. Down to 6100 in chips. I still have enough of a stack to play, but that sucks.

QTo, MP, folds
J6o, MP, folds
T9o, UTG+1, folds
J6o, UTG, folds
J5o, BB, folds to 600 raise.
J9o, SB, folds
Q8o, button, folds

ATo, cutoff - I open-raise to 450 from the cutoff, the big stack int he SB calls me. Flop comes JT5, checked to me, I bet the pot, 1K in chips, and he folds.

I am back up to 6483 after that.

crap, cutoff-1, folds
K4o, MP, folds
K8o, UTG+2, folds

Level 6 - 100/200 blinds

My 6483 chips has me in 346th out of the 630 remaining. Top 81 pay.

crap, UTG, folds

T9o, BB - free flop heads up w/ BB. We check it all the way down and I win the pot vs his 78. with lots of high cards that almost but don't give me a straight.

Key Decision
KQo, SB - I limp and then call a 400 chip raise from the BB, into a 4 way pot. The flop comes down QJ9. I check, intending to check-raise the PF raiser(mistake?!). The pre-flop raiser checks, but, nschilling goes all in. 4000 more for me to call, I think for a long time, but I just put him on too good a hand for that. I give it up.

Key Hand
JJ, cutoff - I open-raise to 600 chips and get one caller out of the blinds. The flop comes 773. He checks, I bet the pot, 1600 chips. Now the pot is about 5000 chips and I have 3500 or so left if I'm counting all that right. I go all in on VinnyVegas when the 6 on the turn comes. If he has A7 so be it. He doesn't he has 55. The river isn't the 5 or 4 that would kill me, I doulbe up to 12000 in chips!!

A few hands go by during the writeup of those two hands, and my blinds pass.

4 minutes til the antes start and I'm in the best shape I've been in here. 4 people have over 10K at the table, and I'm one of them. I'm still only 137th out of the well over 500 left.

T8o, cutoff-1, folds
64o, MP, folds
A5o, MP, folds
K4o, UTG, folds

Level 7 - 100/200 blinds 25 ante

T3o, BB - fold to raise

I am 148th out of 515 remaining.

95o, button, folds
T5o, cutoff, folds
42o, cutoff-1, folds
J4o, MP, folds
83o, UTG+2, folds
A5o, UTG+1, folds

KQo, UTG - against good players, even though I've been tight, I'm not sure I want to go put $1K at risk here, and, I fold. Too tight?

83o, BB, folds to raise

63s, SB, I complete after 3 limp before me. 5-way pot. Flop comes Q96, I have bottom pair, no kicker. I fold to a bet on the flop. None of my suit either.

32s, button, folds
98o, cutoff, folds
KTo, cutoff-1, folds to a raise before.
84o, MP, folds
62o, UTG+1, folds
84o, UTG, folds
J2o, BB, folds to raise to 800.

Level 8 - 200/400 blinds 25 antes

It's disgusting how shitty my cards have been this last level.

73s, cutoff, folds

I am 197th out of 427 left.

32o, MP, folds
T5o, MP, folds
75o, MP, folds

KQo, UTG+1, I raise, and I steal the blinsd! A POT!

AJs, UTG, I raise to 1200. jibboo raises 3x me and I fold. He shows AK.

Key Hand
A5s, BB - free flop with a lot in the pot(5?). Flop comes Jxx with two spades, my suit. Checked around to scott1681, he bets 1500. The pot is 3400, easy call. Turn is an ace, and we are heads up. I check, fully intending to check-raise him here. He checks too. The river is a blank, I bet 2K into the ~4K pot, and he calls. I have him beat, and The nice win picks me up to 14.6K.

I now have official FOFC support, RPI-fan is watching

32o, UTG+2, folds

Break in 6 minutes. I have to pee.

Q7o, UTG+1, folds
A2s, UTG, folds

I check my stats to see my stack is about average size, but with some true monsters out there, average is good for the top 1/3 of the ~400 left.

75s, BB - Free flop, it's suited, not my suit. I am out.
35o, SB, folds
98o, button, folds
83s, cutoff, folds
76o, cutoff-1, folds
54o, MP, folds
A3o, UTG+2, folds
J7o, UTG, folds

We're at the 2 hour break. I'll post this for anyone who's following. I have 13.7K in chips. 153rd out of 338 remaining.
Old 08-13-2004, 11:43 PM   #245
Radii
Head Coach

Had TT, quite happy he folded.
Old 08-14-2004, 12:03 AM   #246
Radii
Head Coach

Level 9 - 300/600 blinds - 50 antes

I have 13.7K in chips. I sit 153rd out of 337, still in a fine position to move up the chain and put in a good showing here.

J8s, BB - I fold to a 5K all-in from stonekillr.

feartotears and jibboo, who have been at this same table forever, both have built large 20+K stacks. prontopup just moved here, he has 33K.

86o, SB, folds
82s, button, folds
J2o, cutoff, folds - prontopup steals blinds from EP

K8o, cutoff-1, folds - jibboo raises 3x the blinds, scheesh(newguy) raises all-in for 4700 total. jibboo calls w/ KJ. scheesh has AQ. scheesh doubles up.

75s, MP, folds

I know we're at a stage in the tourney where Ihave to open up a bit and not get anted/blinded down. This is something I'm not the best at and am still learning about how to pick my spots.

72o, MP, folds - feartotears, DesEsseninets and prontopup limp, jibboo free flop. A44, fear bets out 2400 and wins it.

97o, UTG+1, folds - pronto steal min raise from the button. JMFish playsback all in. 87s for pronto, AK for fish. pronto flops a flush and it's over. JM was short short stack.

Key Hand
AQo, BB - free flop. I debate raising out of the blind, but I don't(should I w/ 1 early limper and the SB?). Flop comes Axx, two low clubs. I bet the pot, and I take it right there.

Q7s, SB - 3 limpers, I'll complete that... flop misses and I fold. - feartotears bets big, desesseintes all-in, icesam all in over him(new guy there). flush draw vs top two pair. two pair holds up and icesam just picked up a 25K pot. He has 33K now.

J6o, button, folds.
83s, cutoff, folds n- scheesh and stonekiller all in, both are pretty short. KT vs AJ. a queen is the only high card, AJ holds up unimproved.

84o, MP, folds - scheesch all in again, against big stack pronto. AJ vs KQ this time. pronto has the AJ, he hits a jack, no higher card than that, andscheesh is out.

63s, UTG+2, folds

I am 170th out of 280 remaining. This is where I have the most trouble, my stack isn't short, but it's starting to dwindle a little. I am not good at picking up a lot of pots to keep myself in the game like I need to.

Both guys to my left are much bigger than me too, which doesn't help me any.

Key Hand

TT, UTG+1, I have no idea if I'm making a good decision here or not. UTG raises to 2400. If I'm going to play I definitely have to go all in to give myself fold equity. I do, and TheHawk lays it down.

UTG folds

86s, BB - fold to a big raise.

Decision
99, SB - do I raise here or limp with two limpers? I limp, and fear raises to 3x the blind. With FREDO calling also, and both of them having me covered, I decide to fold. Ok? Not sure. JJTQ on the board and fear wins it with an all in.

Level 10 - 400/800 blinds - 50 antes

T2o, button, folds
87o, cutoff, folds

144 out of 250 remaining.

K5o, cutoff-1, folds
K5o, cutoff-2, folds - TheHawk all in w/ 22, loses to pronto's presto.

crap, UTG+1, folds - icesam min-raise, called by fredo1, 6400 more put in by pronto. pronto winsi t.
J4o, UTG+1(sbj99 joins, lumberg icon from office space, only 4K chips). I fold
J2o, UTG, folds

96o, BB, FREDO limps early. pronto thinks, he just limps, jibboo limps, free flop. bottom pair, sigh. A86. I let pronto take it w/ a bet.

Key Hand
J8o, SB, fredo limps, pronto limps, icesam limps... i hav the odds to play most any two here. good flop for me. T96. I bet the pot, of course hoping to take it right there. fredo calls me, and then pronto goes all in. If I hit my draw, I'm going to nearly triple up to well over 35K, depending on what fredo does. If I fold I have 9K left. There is the off chance pronto has a flush draw or a ten only and my jack is good, but that's not something I'm counting on. I decide to make my stand here. I call the all in, as does Fredo. Fredo shows AQ(just overs). pronto shows T9 for two pair. So I have to hit my draw. I don't, and I am out 215th.

Discussions on how I played any hand are welcome, including the last one. Bet the pot on the flop? Try to see a cheap turn? Just fold w/o a made hand? I'd like to say having fredo in the pot made the decision for me, knowing I triple up insteado f double up if I hit, but really, I just decided to say fuck it and go for it. So, how bad a call is that? Some of the pocket pair hands along the way I have no idea bout as well, a few of the 99 hands, espicially in the SB w/ a few limpers, and before that raising from EP and getting played back at.

Out 215th, nothin to show for it but the experience.
Old 08-14-2004, 05:02 PM   #247
dixieflatline
High School Varsity

Quote:
Playing to win instead of playing ot make the money, and the two hands I tried to play on the bubble went very poorly for me. Now, with yet another bubble finish, am I doing something fundamently wrong here or is my play ok?

I think you did everything you could there. It sucks to go out on the bubble but the real money is winning it and that is the way you played. Several times players got lucky to stay in so you probably should have taken away some money from this. You don't want to go in a shell with 6 people left. AJo is a good hand 6 handed. You could have been dominated but he could easily have AXs or KJ. The key is when you win the coin flips like this that you turn it into good money.

Quote:
KQo, UTG - against good players, even though I've been tight, I'm not sure I want to go put $1K at risk here, and, I fold. Too tight?

I hate KQo in early position. Even if you hit top pair you have to be concerned about your kicker. Lot's of ways to lose all your money with KQo.

Quote:
Key Hand
J8o, SB, fredo limps, pronto limps, icesam limps... i have the odds to play most any two here. good flop for me. T96. I bet the pot, of course hoping to take it right there. fredo calls me, and then pronto goes all in. If I hit my draw, I'm going to nearly triple up to well over 35K, depending on what fredo does. If I fold I have 9K left. There is the off chance pronto has a flush draw or a ten only and my jack is good, but that's not something I'm counting on. I decide to make my stand here. I call the all in, as does Fredo. Fredo shows AQ(just overs). pronto shows T9 for two pair. So I have to hit my draw. I don't, and I am out 215th.

I like the pot sized bet on the flop and I understand that the pot was laying you some might good odds but you still could have done damage with 9K in chips. You still would have had more tha 10x the BB so you would still have had some wiggle room. I know you weren't banking on it but if a J hit the board would have a JT9 and that is a bit dicey. Since no one had the flush draw your other 8 outs were all available you were really in good shape. Even if there was a flush draw the 6 outs might have given you enough pot odds. Of course in a tourney chips are precious but you would have been in a very good spot if you had hit. Again, it's good to see you trying for a high position and taking some risks than tightening up and just making the money. I think in the long run you will be happy with this strategy.
dixieflatline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 09:49 PM   #248
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

To be brutally honest, I wasn't all that enamored with the call on the flop. As dixieflatline said, you'd have plenty of chips left with a fold there.
Old 08-14-2004, 11:04 PM   #249
Radii
Head Coach

Yeah, it was clearly a bad call, I knew this when I made it. I just said "F it, lets gamble"... something I usually don't do.

After that was over RGunner and I both entered a $30 NL MTT on Partypoker. 920 entered, I didn't write it up b/c it was late and I was playing some limit on the side. Long story short, 897 busted before I did, I never had a great stack but I played my short/average stack extremely well IMO, got some good support and some good advice from RGunner on some specific trouble situations.

100 got paid, I had to just limp into the money, had one hand I wanted to push pre-flop and had to talk myself into getting into the money and letting stuff happen from there. The insanity of partypoker took over, tons and tonf went out right away. I'd push if I had a hand, but if I didn't, I'd just wait it out and get up more levels. In the end, I made it up to 23rd place before getting to shortstacked to do anything and had to go all in on crap.

23rd was good for ~$165, something I was quite pleased with

Thanks a ton to RGunner for hanging around after he'd busted out(we were chatting in AIM), and for offering some advice on some tricky situations.
Old 08-15-2004, 05:37 PM   #250
Radii
Head Coach

After some major successes in ring games last night and today, I take a break and join a 3 table NL tourney on party.

Level 1 - 10/15 blinds

It took a little while to fill up, but now we're going. I start at table #1 so I don't expect to be moving.

Q7o, MP, folds
Q3s, UTG+2, folds 66 hits trips, busts out QTo that hit top pair.
65s, UTG+1, I try to limp in. I do but I fold to a bad flop.
J2o, UTG, folds
A4o, BB, folds to all in from short stack(who doulbes up w/ QQ vs ATs).

Key Hand
A8s, sB - I call the min raise from the button and we see a 4 way flop. Flop comes A84, rainbow. I decide to check-raise the button, he bets 90, and I raise to 220. The other two in the pot fold, and RockinR1 calls me. The turn is a king, and i fear AK a little but I can't be that afraid of that one hand... I bet out the pot, and win it now, I'm up to 1295 in chips.

QTo, cutoff, folds
J5o, cutoff-1, folds
Q9o, MP, folds
K6o, MP, folds

Level 2 - 10/20 blinds
Only 1 went out in level 1. I have 1295 chips, good for 2nd at my table.

75o, UTG+2, folds
A9o, UTG+1, folds
crap, UTG, folds
QJo, BB - free flop 4-way. It's A73 and I fold to a bet.
84o, SB, folds
JTs, button, I limp and fold to a bet on the flop.
T5o, cutoff, folds
Q3s, cutoff-1, folds
96o, MP, folds

KQo, MP, limp into a 5-way pot. Flop comes 763. The turn is a king, but before me comes an all-in for about 800 chips. I decide to throw that one away.

crap, UTG+1, folds

Level 3 - 15/30 blinds
crap, UTG, folds
J4o, BB, folds
96o, SB, folds
A7o, button, folds - AT/KK/AK end up all in pre-flop. AT wins with a flush.
J5o, MP, folds
.. couple crap hands folded, we're 7 handed after the 3-way all in.
64o, BB, folds
89o, SB, folds
A6o, button, folds
72o, cutoff, folds
T7o, MP, folds
K8o, UTG+1, folds

Level 4 - 25/50 blinds

QJo, UTG, folds

25 remain, I have 1135 in chips left still, but could use a big hand to push upwards here.

22, BB, I call the min raise 4-handed, getting 7:1 on that call. I miss and fold.
T6o, SB, folds
A3o, button, folds
JTo, cutoff, folds
42o, MP, folds
65o, UTG+1, folds

Key Hand
AKo, UTG, I raise to 150. Small stack goes all in for about 200 more, and the big stack calls. I push all in, and get heads up 99. An ace hits the flop and I win the hand.

I fold through the blinds when I get junk, and most of the way through the next orbit.

T9o, UTG+2, folds

Level 5 - 50/100 blinds

crap, UTG+1, folds
K6s, UTG, folds
K6o, BB, fold to a raise and re-raise.
82s, SB, folds

I have 1540 in chips as the blinds pass. 21 remain, about to drop to 2 tables.

A2o, button, folds

QJo, cutoff, I open-raise to 300 and steal the blinds.
crap, MP, folds

Down to 20 now. Actually down to 18, all 3 tables lost someone at the same time it looks like. 18 remain.

crap, UTG, folds.
Q5o, BB - free 4-way flop, which comes T65. I fold to a flop bet.
73o, SB, folds
T7s, button, folds
Q9s, cutoff, folds
87s, cutoff-1, folds
98s, cutoff-2, folds
33, MP, folds

Level 6 - 75/150 blinds

I have 1540 in chips, a little less than the average but enough to make a big move if I get a hand. 17 remain.

crap, UTG+1, folds
QJo, UTG, folds
J6o, BB, fold to steal raise by BB
Q3o, sB, folds

1315 chips after the blinds. Lower middle stack at the table.

22, button, it's folded to me and I have to try to pick up the blinds w/ this. I raise, and I do. Back up to 1540.

96o, cutoff, folds
87o, cutoff-1, folds
44, Mp, UTG raises min, enough to scare me off.
J3o, UTG+1, folds
42o, UTG, folds
84o, BB, folds - two giant stacks go at it, QQ beats KK and we have a guy w/ 5K in chips now, by far the tourney leader at this stage.

Q9o, SB, folds

Back to 1315 in chips.

Level 7 - 100/200 blinds - 1 hour break

A lot fell towards the end of hte last level. i am 9th in cihps out of the 13 remaining, and the short stack at my table.

I am pot committed on any hand i choose to play now.

A4o, button, folds
32s, cutoff, folds
75o, MP, folds
98o, UTG, folds

Key Hand
88, ready to push back at a steal raise, and there it is by the button. A 500 raise, i go all in for 815 more. he thinks for quite awhile, and calls with K8! A great showdown for me there. I win the hand, and am in pretty ok shape for now.

K8o, SB, folds.

I have 2630 in chips now.

KQs, button - thunderchigs, big stack, tourney leader, limps in UTG. I debate my play here and decide to call. I have to fold on the flop when it comes JJ6 and thunder bets big.

94o, cutoff, folds the two short stacks play out this hand. one of the folds w/ 600 chips left on the river.
A4o, MP, folds
53s, UTG, folds
62o, BB, folded to me, hooray.
82s, SB, I fold
Q6o, button, folds

one more gone at the other table and we're down to 11.

KTo, cutoff, folds - short stack and giant stack in the blinds, I don't want to attack that combo. They end up all in against each other w/ A9 vs A9.
K8o, MP, folds
Q5o, UTG, folds
32o, BB - ick. jastm steals again(the button in my BB.

Level 8 - 150/300 blinds

I fold my SB, the short stack goes all in w/ A9 vs the BB's AT. A9 comes out ahead and we still have 11 left.

J3o, button, folds

I have 2080 in chips, an ok amount still.

72o, MP, folds
62o, UTG, folds short stack all in for 570 after UTG limps for 300. BB and UTG call. They check it down and finally we are at the final table.

Final Table

Took 1 hr 19 minutes to get here.

KJo, BB, folded around to me(that was 6 handed still, ppl moved over mid-hand).

87o, SB, folds

Of the final 10, I am 6th in chips right now. 5th has 3220 in chips though, cracking that top 5 is going to be tough.

53s, button, folds A very short K2 beats AJ(and picks up lots of dead money after some fold) to get from 280 to 1300 in chips.

T9o, cutoff, folds - thunderchigs knocks out another one of the shorter stacks, we're down to 9.

Crap, cutoff-1, folds
T3o, MP, folds
93o, UTG+2, folds a short 990 stack goes all in w/ AJ, called by K6 and he doubles up to 2130. No one is severealy short anymore.

K7s, UTG+1, folds

SparksJim has 2060 in chips. I have 2080. ryanm717 has 2130. mrtjw has 2463. badbeatdaryn has 2310. We're all in danger.

75o, UTG, folds
Q8o, BB, folds

Key Hand
JJ, SB - min raise from big stack thunderchigs. badbeatdaryn all in for 180(just got his butt kicked). I go all in from the SB for 1780. thunderchigs folds. badbeatdaryn shows down 32s, and I win the pot when he doesn't flush.

A5o, button, folds to big all in PF.

I have 2860, still alive, still short.

Level 9 - 200/400 blinds

8 remain, my 2860 chips is 6th.

A6o, cutoff, folds
A8o, MP, folds to raise before me.
QJo, UTG+2, folds
A6o, UTG+1, folds

A lot of mediocre hands in a row there, maybe I should have made a move w/ one of them

320, UTG, folds

Q6o, BB - UTG limps, I check, free flop. I fold to a bet when I don't hit though.
J9o, SB, folds
J2o, button, folds
K7o, cutoff, folds
A5o, cutoff-1, folds
53o, MP, fold
95o, UTG+1, folds
A2o, UTG, folds
92o, BB, three limp and I get a free flop. Flop comes J32. I fold to a big bet.

K8o, SB. Folded to me, I raise and steal the big blind.

43s, button, folds
84s, cutoff, folds

Level 10 - 300/600 blinds

I have 2260 in chips. I've never seen a 3-table tourney go this long. Pretty much all-in PF on any bet.

74o, cutoff-1, folds
53s, MP, folds
83s, UTG+1, folds
95o, UTG, folds - short stack all-in, but everyone folds to him.

Key Hand
KJo, BB - thunderchigs raises min, I go all in over him and he calls with A8. King on the flop, King on the turn and I win!

Next hand someone goes out 8th.

7 left!

I have 4520 in chips, and am in 3rd. hueco has 7925, SparksJim has 5325, I have 4520, ryanm717 wins a hand as I type this to push up to 5400.

3 guys are sititng short w/ with under 3K in chips, I'm just ahead of them w/ my 4500.

few hnads folded during writeup.

85o, BB, folds to a big raise.
T7o, SB, folds

Back to 3600 after the blinds.

A9o, button, I open-raise and steal the blinds.
32o, cutoff, folds
86o, cutoff-1, folds
T7s, UTG+1, folds

Key Hand
AKo, UTG - I open-raise to 2000, and the giant stack raises all-in. At this point I can't see not calling though, it's just a huge crapshoot at this point in the tourney, and if I win the coin flip, I'm chipleader by a ton.

He turns over AA though, and I'm screwed. QT flops to give me outside hope, I have 4 outs, but they don't hit. I am out 7th.

I've never seen a tourney like that that took so long, that one will last over 2 hours, a single raise by anyone hurt them. I was 4th in chips when I went all-in, but would have been short stacked w/ 2500 chips if I foled, and 1200 in blinds coming starting the next hand. I think I'd take a coin flip every time there...

I made a killing in limit over the weekend, I pushed ahead of $2500 for the first time this month. I'll update that later tonight when I'm done playing for the weekend.