College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
never been more upset at making four hundred

but damn, shoulda put a dime on these stupid Dabos

just money left on the ground.
Old 12-31-2016, 07:37 PM   #202
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

State Penn would have put up a better fight.
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 07:43 PM   #203
HerRealName
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrescentMoonie View Post

I don't think you'll have the same opinion after their game tomorrow.
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 07:45 PM   #204
HerRealName
College Prospect

That went pretty much exactly as I expected minus the dropped passes, constant penalties, and missed FGs by OSU's offense. It's a weird game plan too. Still a year away...
Old 12-31-2016, 07:55 PM   #205
hollmt
High School Varsity

Quote:

Stop making silly comments

As HRN said...most this OSU team comes back next season. The game isn't 'over' yet, (although I think it is), but this first drive by Clemson and the follow up drive by OSU will most likely wrap that up.

Last edited by hollmt : 12-31-2016 at 07:56 PM.
hollmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 08:27 PM   #206
HerRealName
College Prospect

Getting back to the weird game plan, Ohio State is a power running team. Period. This game plan is just bizarre, swing passes are not there. Shovel passes are not there. Barret is not a pocket passer. Get back to your team strength instead of whatever this garbage is.
Old 12-31-2016, 08:31 PM   #207
HerRealName
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerRealName View Post
Getting back to the weird game plan, Ohio State is a power running team. Period. This game plan is just bizarre, swing passes are not there. Shovel passes are not there. Barret is not a pocket passer. Get back to your team strength instead of whatever this garbage is.

Drive summary:

Power run with Barret 12 yards.
Another fucking shovel pass -3 yards. Drive over.

Terrible game planning.
Old 12-31-2016, 08:45 PM   #208
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I almost put money on Clemson but didn't because I almost never bet... wishing I had now.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 08:59 PM   #209
lungs
Pro Rookie

Big Ten has a lot of good teams but no great teams.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 09:08 PM   #210
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

This is illegal in like 42 states.
Old 12-31-2016, 09:30 PM   #211
Suicane75
Coordinator

Can we let the winner of Bama/Clemson play the winner of USC/PSU?
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 09:33 PM   #212
bronconick
College Starter

Why?
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 09:33 PM   #213
bhlloy
Coordinator

Dunno about Penn State, but we've already seen what Bama can do against USC, I don't need to see that again. And based on this Clemson might be even better.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 09:40 PM   #214
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
Can we let the winner of Bama/Clemson play the winner of USC/PSU?

Trying to add another shutout for them? That'd just be padding the records.

tOSU looked lost all night. Clemson was more than good enough to take advantage of that.

Bama did what they do.

Those two beaten opponents were easily the best competition available, the gap is just that damned big.
Old 12-31-2016, 09:47 PM   #215
Suicane75
Coordinator

I'm not gonna argue, but I think that right now, PSU & USC are much better teams than either of the losers this afternoon, and not just because of H2H.
Old 12-31-2016, 09:49 PM   #216
HerRealName
College Prospect

Congrats to CU, Butter, and any other Clemson fans here. That was a brutal ass kicking but maybe it will lead to a much needed offensive staff shake up for OSU. Beck has been a disaster since Herman left.

Next week should be a great game. I'm really looking forward to it.
Old 12-31-2016, 09:51 PM   #217
HerRealName
College Prospect

Quote:
I'm not gonna argue, but I think that right now, PSU & USC are much better teams than either of the losers this afternoon, and not just because of H2H.

Maybe USC with Darnold but Penn State is nowhere near Clemson or Alabama's level.
Old 12-31-2016, 09:55 PM   #218
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

You're entitled to be wrong. Even if you're THAT incredibly wrong.
Old 12-31-2016, 09:56 PM   #219
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
You're entitled to be wrong. Even if you're THAT incredibly wrong.

LOL, they did beat them both H2H. I can't be THAT wrong.
Old 12-31-2016, 10:01 PM   #220
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Penn State might have shown a little more fight than we saw from tOSU, but would have been disastrously overmatched with a similar outcome. USC would have been utterly (and possibly literally) decimated, by either.
Old 12-31-2016, 10:01 PM   #221
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Wow.

Never would have believed that would happen. I'm like a 40 year old kid right now.
Because of some family issues this is the first postseason Clemson football game I've missed since 95. Hate I wasn't there tonight.

Going to be a fun hectic week.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 10:05 PM   #222
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post
Big Ten has a lot of good teams but no great teams.

EFFIN HATER!

I have not watched a lot of tOSU this year but today was the first time I have seen them look like a team that has 18 true freshmen on the two deep roster.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 10:06 PM   #223
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:

You're right on both accounts. I love how old school CFB fans talk about how every game matters until the results don't fit their preconceived notions. PSU was the best team in the B1G this year, period. They would have at least shown up tonight. USC was the best team in the Pac-12 the moment Darnold was inserted into the lineup going 8-0 with wins over both teams in the Pac-12 title game. They would have put a more competent offense on the field than Washington today.

I still think Bama and Clemson is the final with those two teams there, but the best 4 teams were not in the playoff this year.
Old 12-31-2016, 10:29 PM   #224
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
EFFIN HATER!

I have not watched a lot of tOSU this year but today was the first time I have seen them look like a team that has 18 true freshmen on the two deep roster.

Fwiw Clemson started 2 true freshman tonight on the OL.
A RS Fr won mvp at DE. A true freshman started at DT.
Looking at tOSU roster I can't match up your 18 true freshman in the 2 deep number, but I know they are young.

Every good team is young these days with the good ones being 3 and gone.

If that game is played 10 times no way Clemson gets another shutout. It's just so impossible to do against UM. Heck had it not been for two missed FGs it wouldn't have went that way tonight.
Old 12-31-2016, 10:35 PM   #225
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

It's funny how almost any OSU fan in August would have jumped at a two loss season, but the way it played out feels disappointing.

At least Michigan got it worse.
Old 12-31-2016, 10:58 PM   #226
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
Fwiw Clemson started 2 true freshman tonight on the OL.
A RS Fr won mvp at DE. A true freshman started at DT.
Looking at tOSU roster I can't match up your 18 true freshman in the 2 deep number, but I know they are young.

Every good team is young these days with the good ones being 3 and gone.

If that game is played 10 times no way Clemson gets another shutout. It's just so impossible to do against UM. Heck had it not been for two missed FGs it wouldn't have went that way tonight.

The 16 number was the number I heard during the day. Looks like it was 18 at the beginning of the year.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 11:04 PM   #227
tarcone
Coordinator

Im shocked. What was Meyer thinking? Barrett is not that good a QB to passing all night.
Was he intimidated by the Clemson DL?
That reminded me of iowa/USC in 2002. Ferentz went away fromn wghat got them to that game and an 11 win season. It was almost like he wanted his QB (Brad Banks) to outshine Carson Palmer.

Im rooting for Clemson now.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 11:08 PM   #228
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
You're right on both accounts. I love how old school CFB fans talk about how every game matters until the results don't fit their preconceived notions.

I'm about as old school as they get and I've never put the farm on head to head. Old school is that + body of work + eye test.

Quote:
PSU was the best team in the B1G this year, period.

Wrong. And it was a close race whether they were 2nd.

Gutty team, plays hard but with the least talent of those in the discussion.
Old 12-31-2016, 11:09 PM   #229
Atocep
Coordinator

Some thoughts on those two games:

Clemson probably needs to play like they did today and they need Alabama to play like they did against Washington to have a chance. Clemson is built better than anyone to beat them, but they still need Alabama to bring their B minus or C game.

Alabama would probably be talked about as the best team in college football history if you could plug the junior/senior version of Jalen Hurts into this team.

I don't think JT Barrett has improved since his redshirt freshman year. Unless you're a OSU fan and are dead set on going there I don't know why a QB with his sites set on the pros would play for Meyer.

Both games today were rather boring as both losers were overmatched. Washington couldn't deal with the athleticism and talent level on Alabama. Clemson is just better than OSU and Dabo and his staff outcoached Urban and his staff.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 12:09 AM   #230
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Long layoff for tOSU probably didnt help. They just looked out of it and sloppy and gave up. Not something you would really expect from an Urban Meyer team.

Very impressed with the team speed of Washington.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 12:19 AM   #231
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I'm about as old school as they get and I've never put the farm on head to head. Old school is that + body of work + eye test.

Wrong. And it was a close race whether they were 2nd.

Gutty team, plays hard but with the least talent of those in the discussion.

Beat tOSU, won their division, won the conference title game. After the tOSU win they obliterated the bad teams in the conference the way they should before beating a pretty good Wisconsin team by the same margin tOSU and UM did. They weren't the most talented, but they proved on the field that they were the best. I'll take what they did on the field over "eye test" nonsense.
Old 01-01-2017, 07:16 AM   #232
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

It's very clear to me that I see football(like many other things) far differently. I cannot digest how someone can see a season like Clemson's with all the close games they had and see this big gulf between them and the rest. Great game by them obviously, but it's like you just ignore the fact that they were a short NC State field goal away from not even being in the playoffs. Clemson is just one example of this kind of thing, but I was rather astonished by some of the comments on here yesterday.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 07:29 AM   #233
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
Michigan had three close games this year and lost all of them, by a combined 5 points. Still a fine season but boy do they have a taste of being underachievers.

Quote:
It's very clear to me that I see football(like many other things) far differently. I cannot digest how someone can see a season like Clemson's with all the close games they had and see this big gulf between them and the rest. Great game by them obviously, but it's like you just ignore the fact that they were a short NC State field goal away from not even being in the playoffs. Clemson is just one example of this kind of thing, but I was rather astonished by some of the comments on here yesterday.

RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 08:58 AM   #234
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

While I will say I never had much doubt in Clemson this year. They were stacked coming into the season and did what they had to do despite the Championship game hangover effect. I do think it is only natural for fans to think this way because of the lack of information about teams(few common matchups) and the thinking that bowl games are the most important games of the season. I think what you had with Clemson and Ohio State was Clemson is a more experienced team able to deal with the magnitude of the game yesterday while Ohio State is a very young team not able to cope with difficult situations all that well yet.

We tend to give professional teams the benefit of doubt when they throw up clunkers and dont allow college teams this same benefit(because in college structure you really arent afforded to have clunker games.)
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 10:51 AM   #235
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Some thoughts on those two games:

Clemson probably needs to play like they did today and they need Alabama to play like they did against Washington to have a chance. Clemson is built better than anyone to beat them, but they still need Alabama to bring their B minus or C game.

Not to pick on you, but this is the sentiment that just drives crazy.

Last year's Bama D was better than this years. And Clemson despite 3 turnovers racked up more yards than anyone ever against a Saban coached defense. And Bama needed an onside kick, a KO return for TD and a timely pick to win. That wasnt Clemson's "a" game. This year they get to try again only this time, they WILL have their top 2 WR.

Bama is very very good. Don't mistake what I'm saying. However prior to yesterday Bama had played two offenses ranked in the top half of the country (Ole Miss and Arkansas) both scored 30 on Bama. I excluded USC because different QB, first am of session and 57 is barely top half.

Bama is very very good. Great even. But if Bamake and Clemson both play flawless next Monday night. I think Clemson wins by 10. I do think it is much more likely Bama plays flawlessly than Clemson however.

The Kiffin factor could be absolutely huge in this game.
Old 01-01-2017, 11:45 AM   #236
digamma
Torchbearer

This will start coming up in the next week or two. If nothing else, the ACC was probably the most improved conference in college football.

digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 12:24 PM   #237
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:

Last year's Bama D was better than this years.

S&P has the defenses similar while FEI has this year's Bama defense considerably better than last year's.

Both FEI and S&P have this year's bama team slightly better than last year's.
Old 01-01-2017, 12:48 PM   #238
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
S&P has the defenses similar while FEI has this year's Bama defense considerably better than last year's.

Both FEI and S&P have this year's bama team slightly better than last year's.

Understand, but.
Last year Bama played better competition in my opinion.
Ragland, Robinson, Reed and Jones would all start this year over their replacements. That's the crux of my argument.
Old 01-01-2017, 03:36 PM   #239
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

@ RedKingGold -- Not sure what point you were trying to make re: my quotes. Totally different situation with Clemson(7 games decided by a TD or less) and Michigan. If Clemson had lost 5(or whatever) of those games instead of one, I'd be calling them underachievers too. How someone could have very little doubt in such a team(and they deserve considerable credit for winning those games) is quite literally beyond my ability to comprehend.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 07:18 PM   #240
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Understand, but.
Last year Bama played better competition in my opinion.
Ragland, Robinson, Reed and Jones would all start this year over their replacements. That's the crux of my argument.

I have heard it suggested Bama's front 7 this year might be the best ever.

I haven't seen much to dissuade that opinion either.

Not saying anything about what I expect from the champ game, but those numbers and these opinions run contrary to your thinking on last year versus this year.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 09:26 AM   #241
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

It's kind of sad to see the four letter network pitching this nonsense about the redemption of State Penn as a program because they're winning this year. Lets not forget the caliber of character that their current coach recruited to Vandy. So far there have been rape convictions stemming from a gang rape and now there is a sex trafficking case being pursued. I'm sure we won't see those things a State Penn anytime soon as they actively hide them.

James Franklin is exactly the kind of person that State Penn likes to put in charge of their football program and proof that nothing has really changed.
Old 01-02-2017, 11:43 AM   #242
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Wow. Kiffin out and Sark in as OC before the championship game. I guess Saban really doesn't like Kiffin at all.
Old 01-02-2017, 11:51 AM   #243
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It's kind of sad to see the four letter network pitching this nonsense about the redemption of State Penn as a program because they're winning this year. Lets not forget the caliber of character that their current coach recruited to Vandy. So far there have been rape convictions stemming from a gang rape and now there is a sex trafficking case being pursued. I'm sure we won't see those things a State Penn anytime soon as they actively hide them.

James Franklin is exactly the kind of person that State Penn likes to put in charge of their football program and proof that nothing has really changed.

Isn't it Penn State?

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 01-02-2017, 12:07 PM   #244
tarcone
Coordinator

Go Hawks!!

Old 01-02-2017, 12:33 PM   #245
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Isn't it Penn State?

1. They knowingly allowed decades of pedophilia.
2. The fans/former players complained about unfair treatment surrounding the punishment for allowing decades of pedophilia.
3. They then hired a coach who, at the time of the hire, had players who had been kicked out of school for gang rape with video showing the players dragging the unconscious girl down the hallway by her hair. Those same players had posted on social media showing the rape and showing themselves urinating on the face of the unconscious girl.
4. One of those players is now up on sex trafficking charges.
5. That coach knowingly tried to interfere with the investigation into his players by contacting the victim.
6. The university, 5 years after after everything went down, honored the memory of the coach who allowed pedophilia to go on for 33 years under his watch.

I would say State Penn fits.
Old 01-02-2017, 12:39 PM   #246
lungs
Pro Rookie

Wisconsin seems to be manhandling Western Michigan, as I was pretty much expecting.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 12:46 PM   #247
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
1. They knowingly allowed decades of pedophilia.
2. The fans/former players complained about unfair treatment surrounding the punishment for allowing decades of pedophilia.
3. They then hired a coach who, at the time of the hire, had players who had been kicked out of school for gang rape with video showing the players dragging the unconscious girl down the hallway by her hair. Those same players had posted on social media showing the rape and showing themselves urinating on the face of the unconscious girl.
4. One of those players is now up on sex trafficking charges.
5. That coach knowingly tried to interfere with the investigation into his players by contacting the victim.
6. The university, 5 years after after everything went down, honored the memory of the coach who allowed pedophilia to go on for 33 years under his watch.

I would say State Penn fits.

While I hear your point, the way you did it was annoying and overkill, IMO. It detracts from your message to say petty stuff like that.

Old 01-02-2017, 12:51 PM   #248
tarcone
Coordinator

Want defense (or bad offense)? Watch the Outback.
Iowa is laying lumber.

3-3 at the end of one.

Old 01-02-2017, 01:09 PM   #249
Atocep
Coordinator

I hate watching offenses like Western Michigan's. The no huddle so the defense can't sub, sit on the ball so the OC can read the defense for the QB, and the QB keep looking over for a play change is just irritating football to watch.
Old 01-02-2017, 01:32 PM   #250
tarcone
Coordinator

Shoot. Iowa gives up a TD.

That will be the game. No way Iowa comes back from a 10-3 deficit.