Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-01-2009, 02:59 PM   #201
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Just glad to see the trashpress denied their "kill" so to speak.

They got tons of traffic, likely from new or non-standard readers, for four plus days on what would have been a slow news weekend. Sounds like a pretty good pull to me.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 03:16 PM   #202
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooner333 View Post
I didn't know Cadillac made an Escalade Astro. Terrific find, btw.

haha the re-enactment with the ominous music and Elin running behind the SUV with a golf club is incredible.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 03:24 PM   #203
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
What????

sorry - i should have worded that better. if a celebrity guy cheats on his wife it doesn't make him any different than a normal person who cheats on their wife.
Old 12-01-2009, 03:29 PM   #204
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
Leonard Little, already brought up.

And as I said above, I remember most of those incidents. You added Haynesworth to the list, and I don't like him, either, thanks to "the incident".

Of course I still cringe whenever I hear Christian Laettner's name, but everyone keeps trying to tell me Kentucky was wacking on him all game so he was okay with his chest stomp.

Ah, that's who it was, thank you.

Laettner is one too in my opinion. Even Roberto Alomar when he spat in the umps face still bugs me. Or Albert Bell throwing elbows at second basemen and his girlfriends.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 03:37 PM   #205
Danny
Head Coach

I am the same, I remember these events and they do affect how I think of a player. Too many good players who are also good guys to spend time rooting for the dirt bags.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 03:40 PM   #206
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
Too many good players who are also good guys to spend time rooting for the dirt bags.

Those good guys are likely good guys because we don't any better yet.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 03:41 PM   #207
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Those good guys are likely good guys because we don't any better yet.

Who knows of course, but I'll take the not yet proven to be a douche over the one who has.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 04:01 PM   #208
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by lerriuqs View Post
Based on the fact that he's still playing and it's rarely, if ever, talked about, I think you're in the minority then...

I don't think I am in the minority. I think anyone who was an avid football fan at the time it happened thinks about it every time his name is mentioned.

I also guess those that cannot think for themselves would need broadcasters to tell them what to think about. That's the only way I can see you making the correlation between the broadcasters mentioning it, and people not thinking about it.

I would guess that whether or not the first thing that pops to mind when mentioning Ray Lewis to a football fan would be dependent on age. Those above a certain age think of his role in that, those below think of his playing career.
Old 12-01-2009, 04:07 PM   #209
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
So, thee final score, Tiger 1, Tabloid Press and websites 0.. however I'm sure that the Tabloid press and web will be sniffing after him for months, trying to nail him, because he wouldn't play the game.

So he's revealed as another scum ball cheating on his wife repeatedly & somehow that's a win for him?

Like I said earlier, it's really hard for an athlete to do anything that won't be forgiven or apparently even praised for.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 12-01-2009 at 04:07 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 04:12 PM   #210
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
So he's revealed as another scum ball cheating on his wife repeatedly & somehow that's a win for him?

Like I said earlier, it's really hard for an athlete to do anything that won't be forgiven or apparently even praised for.

do we know that he was cheating yet though? i'm the first to string someone up for that, but all we have right now is gossip websites and a reality-tv girl looking to keep her name in the media, right?
Old 12-01-2009, 04:17 PM   #211
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
do we know that he was cheating yet though? i'm the first to string someone up for that, but all we have right now is gossip websites and a reality-tv girl looking to keep her name in the media, right?

Awful lot of smoke for there to be no fire.
Old 12-01-2009, 04:23 PM   #212
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:

Whether its right or not, I'm willing to bet the vast majority of people really don't care if he cheated on his wife.
Old 12-01-2009, 04:27 PM   #213
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
Did Tiger have an orgy in Boston or something? Our Mass. FOFCers are pretty passionate.

Well, my Mass-take is that I man I will never meet got in a one car accident and I don't give a shit at all.
Old 12-01-2009, 04:29 PM   #214
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Whether its right or not, I'm willing to bet the vast majority of people really don't care if he cheated on his wife.

Hence my comments earlier about the state of American society. {shrug}
Ain't like this incident told me anything I didn't already know.

edit to add: Although at the very least he ought to be pilloried for his choice in skanks.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 12-01-2009 at 04:29 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 04:31 PM   #215
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Awful lot of smoke for there to be no fire.

that's true
Old 12-01-2009, 05:05 PM   #216
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
What did Larry Bird do?

He had a daughter from his first marriage that he denied even being the father of. She constantly tried to get some time from him...writing, calling, whatever and he never gave her the time of day. She wanted to go with him to his hall of fame induction, wanted to be with him as he started coaching, and a whole bunch of stuff before that. It's clear when you hear her talk about it that she just wanted a relationship with her dad...I think mostly because she was proud to be his daughter and he just ignored her in just about every way possible.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 05:14 PM   #217
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
He had a daughter from his first marriage that he denied even being the father of. She constantly tried to get some time from him...writing, calling, whatever and he never gave her the time of day. She wanted to go with him to his hall of fame induction, wanted to be with him as he started coaching, and a whole bunch of stuff before that. It's clear when you hear her talk about it that she just wanted a relationship with her dad...I think mostly because she was proud to be his daughter and he just ignored her in just about every way possible.

Damn I had no idea. He's a fav of mine, and reading Bill Simmons' book right now makes me like him even more... but finding out about this sucks. Karl Malone sank even deeper in my books when I found out about his kid thing, and this seems similar to that.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 05:18 PM   #218
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, Larry Bird is kind of a shitbag. I remember watching the SportsCentury series ESPN did awhile back and it was covered in that. Kind of sad.

I honestly never understood why athletes are so intrigued with marriage. Why not just go the Derek Jeter route and fuck a ton of hot chicks without having to hide it from your wife and fear being taken to the cleaners by her in divorce? I mean if you want to be married and have kids, then do it. But if you want to fuck hot chicks all across the country, don't get married.

Last edited by RainMaker : 12-01-2009 at 05:18 PM.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 05:23 PM   #219
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
that's true

(re: The allegations of Tiger's "mistress")

Not when you have trashpress creating the smoke out of nothing at all.

Last edited by SirFozzie : 12-01-2009 at 05:24 PM.
SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 05:26 PM   #220
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:

Someone is gonna be upset soon.......
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 05:36 PM   #221
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:

I'm guessing you haven't read the recent reports. These women coming out of the woodwork have kept text messages and voice message both originating from Tiger's phone. Tiger's been playing around a LOT.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 05:37 PM   #222
Atocep
Coordinator

I don't think you go out and get a "Kobe Special" unless you really fucked up.
Old 12-01-2009, 05:41 PM   #223
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
Damn I had no idea. He's a fav of mine, and reading Bill Simmons' book right now makes me like him even more... but finding out about this sucks. Karl Malone sank even deeper in my books when I found out about his kid thing, and this seems similar to that.

Yeah...don't expect to see anything bad written about Larry in that book. I finished it about a week ago. Nice read...way too long in my opinion...some of the jokes got old. That said, I learned a lot about a lot of guys.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 05:42 PM   #224
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
I don't think you go out and get a "Kobe Special" unless you really fucked up.

That story was so bogus. Ordinary people don't buy rings retail, why the hell would Tiger even utter the word "Zales" in a conversation?

People will believe anything.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 05:50 PM   #225
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
That story was so bogus. Ordinary people don't buy rings retail, why the hell would Tiger even utter the word "Zales" in a conversation?

People will believe anything.

My post was more of a joke than anything. I don't read the TMZ or wherever the story originated from. I found the phrase funny.

I don't give a shit what Tiger does in his spare time. Whether he screws 1000 chicks and buys his wife an island to make up for it makes no difference to me.
Old 12-01-2009, 05:54 PM   #226
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Yeah, Larry Bird is kind of a shitbag. I remember watching the SportsCentury series ESPN did awhile back and it was covered in that. Kind of sad.

I honestly never understood why athletes are so intrigued with marriage. Why not just go the Derek Jeter route and fuck a ton of hot chicks without having to hide it from your wife and fear being taken to the cleaners by her in divorce? I mean if you want to be married and have kids, then do it. But if you want to fuck hot chicks all across the country, don't get married.

That's what I was doing before the ACL injury...

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 06:44 PM   #227
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
My post was more of a joke than anything. I don't read the TMZ or wherever the story originated from. I found the phrase funny.

I don't give a shit what Tiger does in his spare time. Whether he screws 1000 chicks and buys his wife an island to make up for it makes no difference to me.

As I wrote my post, I thought, "DC he's probably just kidding."

I'm gonna go play NCAA 10 and take someone unrealistic to a bowl game. Tiger Woods 10 was too much of a wreck to keep bothering with.
Old 12-01-2009, 06:45 PM   #228
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

TMZ, US Magazine, etcetera? If you want to believe the trashpress, go ahead, I'll wait till somebody who doesn't make shit up as they go verifies it
Old 12-01-2009, 07:01 PM   #229
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
TMZ, US Magazine, etcetera? If you want to believe the trashpress, go ahead, I'll wait till somebody who doesn't make shit up as they go verifies it
Sadly, those magazines to better investigative reporting than the regular press.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 07:02 PM   #230
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Tiger Woods alleged other woman Rachel Uchitel gives exclusive interview with The Post - NYPOST.com

New York Post interview with Rachel Uchitel. Talks about how she knew him, etc.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 12-01-2009 at 07:02 PM.
Old 12-01-2009, 07:11 PM   #231
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Did you copyright "trashpress"?

Give it up, Tiger got caught cheating regardless of who reports it and whether you are trying to set a record for trying to coin a phrase or not.
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 07:14 PM   #232
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubby View Post
Did you copyright "trashpress"?

Give it up, Tiger got caught cheating regardless of who reports it and whether you are trying to set a record for trying to coin a phrase or not.

Figured I should call a spade a spade (if that sentence hasn't been revoked for being un-PC). It's yellow journalism in the grand tradition of the Hearst and Pulitzer (Remember the Maine, anyone?).. Right now, there's nothing but speculation, and glory hounds wanting their 15 minutes of fame, and uncriticizing sheep who swallow it and baaaaa for more.
Old 12-01-2009, 07:20 PM   #233
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
trashpress trashpress trashpress

We've been down this road before.

Barry Bonds didn't take steroids, Bill Clinton didn't get a blowjob, yada yada yada. Even with hard evidence I'm sure you'll still deny it and blame it on the media.

Where there's smoke there's fire, it'll come out no matter how much Tiger tries to keep it private.
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 07:28 PM   #234
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubby View Post
We've been down this road before.

Barry Bonds didn't take steroids, Bill Clinton didn't get a blowjob, yada yada yada. Even with hard evidence I'm sure you'll still deny it and blame it on the media.

Where there's smoke there's fire, it'll come out no matter how much Tiger tries to keep it private.

I prefer the more accurate "Where there's money to be made, even by lying, there will be people creating smoke". I do agree that privacy is dead in this modern age, but Tiger can't win. He fights all this stuff, he loses (see Roger Clemens). He lets everyone smear him, he loses (see current situation).
Old 12-01-2009, 07:37 PM   #235
Galaxy
Coordinator

We still don't know what "caused" the accident with Tiger. (and if his wife did manage to get a few swings at him) And the way Tiger operates, hiding out and not using the legal force he usually uses kind of puts him in a tough spot. He's the one celebrity that will come guns blazing (in a legal sense) if you're spreading lies about him. So I'm sure the "trashpress" is a lot more careful with him.

Last edited by Galaxy : 12-01-2009 at 07:39 PM.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 07:40 PM   #236
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Figured I should call a spade a spade (if that sentence hasn't been revoked for being un-PC).

Incidentally this phrase has absolutely no racial overtones to it.
Old 12-01-2009, 07:42 PM   #237
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
We still don't know what "caused" the accident with Tiger. (and if his wife did manage to get a few swings at him) And the way Tiger operates, hiding out and not using the legal force he usually uses kind of puts him in a tough spot.

The guy absolutely values his privacy.. I saw a story elsewhere that when Tiger was at Hazeltine, he rented a place at top dollar, with the caveat that if the press harassed him at the place, he (tiger) would get the rental fee back (to disincentivize the owner from blabbing to all and sundry that Tiger was staying there).

I honestly think that the best thing Tiger can do is exactly what he's doing. He doesn't have to play golf for another couple months (new season doesn't start till what, late Jan, early Feb), and the yellow press loves it when people try to fight back, it gives them new avenues of attack, and new statements to nitpick into twisting its meaning like a pretzel.
Old 12-01-2009, 07:44 PM   #238
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
Incidentally this phrase has absolutely no racial overtones to it.

Yes, I know.. but some ultra-PC people have objected to it, because in their minds that it does have racial overtones, despite the statement being approximately 550 years old in English, and older in other languages
Old 12-01-2009, 07:55 PM   #239
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Racist.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 07:58 PM   #240
gstelmack
Pro Starter

If Tiger had just talked to the police about the accident with his lawyer present, this would have blown over by now. The fact that he didn't indicates to everyone that he's hiding SOMETHING. This is all that simple.
Old 12-01-2009, 08:04 PM   #241
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
If Tiger had just talked to the police about the accident with his lawyer present, this would have blown over by now. The fact that he didn't indicates to everyone that he's hiding SOMETHING. This is all that simple.

No, the fact that he didn't indicates to everyone that he's a private person and that anything told to the cops would be on a speed dial to be leaked to the yellow press.. the cops had no reason to seek his medical records, he wasn't drunk, etcetera, so they really had no pressing need to talk to him.

The yellow press tried to force the issue, remember all the reports that the police were going to seek a warrant to obtain Woods's medical records? That never went anywhere, did it?
Old 12-01-2009, 08:06 PM   #242
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
No, the fact that he didn't indicates to everyone that he's a private person and that anything told to the cops would be on a speed dial to be leaked to the yellow press..
So somebody's got Chinese newspapers on speed dial!
Old 12-01-2009, 08:09 PM   #243
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
So somebody's got Chinese newspapers on speed dial!

Well, I figured I'd give the accurate phrase trashpress a rest, but yellow journalism sells, sadly.. (and I'm a former CommArts major, who wanted to go into radio or journalism)
Old 12-01-2009, 08:10 PM   #244
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
No, the fact that he didn't indicates to everyone that he's a private person and that anything told to the cops would be on a speed dial to be leaked to the yellow press.. the cops had no reason to seek his medical records, he wasn't drunk, etcetera, so they really had no pressing need to talk to him.

The yellow press tried to force the issue, remember all the reports that the police were going to seek a warrant to obtain Woods's medical records? That never went anywhere, did it?

I believe the cops have the right to look at his medical records without a warrant.

Last edited by Galaxy : 12-01-2009 at 08:10 PM.
Old 12-01-2009, 08:12 PM   #245
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
The guy absolutely values his privacy.. I saw a story elsewhere that when Tiger was at Hazeltine, he rented a place at top dollar, with the caveat that if the press harassed him at the place, he (tiger) would get the rental fee back (to disincentivize the owner from blabbing to all and sundry that Tiger was staying there).

I honestly think that the best thing Tiger can do is exactly what he's doing. He doesn't have to play golf for another couple months (new season doesn't start till what, late Jan, early Feb), and the yellow press loves it when people try to fight back, it gives them new avenues of attack, and new statements to nitpick into twisting its meaning like a pretzel.

I don't think it "blow over" with all these rumors flying around and what really happen.

Last edited by Galaxy : 12-01-2009 at 08:12 PM.
Old 12-01-2009, 08:13 PM   #246
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

If the gender roles were reversed, would we still be trumpeting the potential victim's right to privacy over finding out what actually happened?
Old 12-01-2009, 08:16 PM   #247
McSweeny
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
If the gender roles were reversed, would we still be trumpeting the potential victim's right to privacy over finding out what actually happened?

of course not
McSweeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 08:27 PM   #248
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn View Post
Whereas I'd go Eh, YES, yes, Eh.

#2 is my #1, for sure. So i agree with you there.

In reality?

Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes

I am an animal
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 08:28 PM   #249
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I believe the cops have the right to look at his medical records without a warrant.

From Monday:

Tiger Woods Withdraws From Tournament He Hosts - NYTimes.com

The stalemate continued Monday between the police and Woods, who has declined to speak with investigators from the Florida Highway Patrol. A spokeswoman for the patrol would not say whether the police were trying to obtain a search warrant for Woods’s medical records from Health Central Hospital in Ocoee, Fla., where Woods was treated after the accident. The records could shed light on how Woods was injured.
Old 12-01-2009, 08:37 PM   #250
lerriuqs
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari View Post
I don't think I am in the minority. I think anyone who was an avid football fan at the time it happened thinks about it every time his name is mentioned.

I also guess those that cannot think for themselves would need broadcasters to tell them what to think about. That's the only way I can see you making the correlation between the broadcasters mentioning it, and people not thinking about it.

I would guess that whether or not the first thing that pops to mind when mentioning Ray Lewis to a football fan would be dependent on age. Those above a certain age think of his role in that, those below think of his playing career.

I disagree entirely. Lewis just isn't that big a deal to most people.

Who said I was talking about broadcasters anyways? Nice assumption - before you try thinking for yourself, just try to think first. It helps honest.
lerriuqs is offline   Reply With Quote