Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-20-2009, 10:36 PM   #201
RendeR
Coordinator

Come on Manning move the damn offense.

*Please note I can't stand either team but when it comes to a game involving the cowgirls I will always root for whomever they play.

Let's just say I hate New York "Less" than I hate Dallas.

=)
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 10:36 PM   #202
JS19
College Prospect

HUGE play coming up here. Now would be as good as time as any to hit Boss for a 1st down.
JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 10:41 PM   #203
Tigercat
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletsponge View Post
are people really suprised that Russell sucks? i mean someone gave him the nickname Jabustus before he was picked for a reason. i know many in this forum figured he would be a bust (i know i did)

QBs fail at a high rate, calling any QB a bust isn't the worst bet in the world. The problem is, nothing Jamarcus ever did before he was a pro warranted that kind of confident opinion that he would be bad. He had more going for him than Alex Smith, yet more arm chair draft experts predicted a Jamarcus bust than an Alex Smith bust. It's that kind of factless based revisionist history that causes me to make posts like this defending him, when I am not really that inclined to defend his game as it is now.

Although for the record, Jamarcus was decent last year, he may still go on to be decent this year, we shall see.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 10:42 PM   #204
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
1) that was mostly a joke, although I do think you were misusing "talent" because:

2) Ron Dayne would only fit in this argument if he could run a 4.4 flat 40 and 4.3 shuttle. Jemarcus can make every throw on the football field, from any position in the pocket/behind the line of scrimmage. Unfortunately he can only do so consistently if the target is stationary and a defender isn't in good position.

So Dayne would be a great comparison if Dayne had the best speed and agility for a RB we have seen maybe ever, but he could only find running lanes in college and not in the NFL. And in that case, to say that Dayne was a "good bet" to fail from the start sounds ridiculous.

No there is clearly more than one usage of the word talent. One can have taleent or one can be a talent, and lastly one can simply be talent. When I was coaching and we were setting up game films on HS kids, it was often used as he is good HS talent, good college talent or good pro talent, this had nothing to do with skill set. Just where that person could fit...

Much the way a TV newsperson or even radio broadcaster is called talent not an employee

Ron Dayne was a great college talent (even though he never had a superlatove skill set) but was a below average pro talent

Regardless, JR was a decent (not great dont kid yourself) college QB...I distinctly remember Steve young and Troy Aikman on air each saying he had to totally revamp much of his game to survive in the NFL..... even his cannon, has a sticky release and a horrible trajection angle...thats not to even mention his Ray Charles-esqu field vision.

To me, he is Dan mcGuire with a lower football IQ, and a dumber owner.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 10:43 PM   #205
JS19
College Prospect

ohhhhhh boy, please tynes, please
Old 09-20-2009, 10:43 PM   #206
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Great catch by Manningham on the tipped pass
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 10:45 PM   #207
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I hate that timeout as it is being snapped.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 10:46 PM   #208
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I hate the nnja timeout
Old 09-20-2009, 10:46 PM   #209
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

Ninja sighting
tucker rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 10:47 PM   #210
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
I hate that timeout as it is being snapped.

For some reason, I think the NFL made a rule about that. Guess not.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 10:47 PM   #211
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Awesome win, love the fact we spoiled the opening of that eyesore
Old 09-20-2009, 10:47 PM   #212
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Nice way to end it.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 10:47 PM   #213
JS19
College Prospect

whew. not gonna lie, with all the missed opportunities, I didn't think they would be able to pull it off.
Old 09-20-2009, 10:48 PM   #214
Tigercat
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post

Regardless, JR was a decent (not great dont kid yourself) college QB...

The only big thing I disagree with you on that post. His junior year, which is GREAT by any standards:

Cmp% yards yd/c INT TDs
67.8 3129 9.1 8 28

There was a time were some tried to pass the buck on those stats by saying that the LSU team that year had so much talent at WR, but as it turns out, only Bowe was very talented on that WR corps. And Bowe isn't so good that he is the answer as to why a "decent" QB completed nearly 70% of his passes in the SEC.

Last edited by Tigercat : 09-20-2009 at 10:51 PM.
Old 09-20-2009, 10:49 PM   #215
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Dallas opens their new stadium with a loss. It's the least they deserve for that Great Wall - Taj Mahal - Roman Coliseum opening segment.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 10:49 PM   #216
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

All the Eli haters can piss off also, he once again stepped up in a huge spot and got his team a win
Old 09-20-2009, 10:50 PM   #217
Tigercat
College Starter

World's most expensive losing experience?
Old 09-20-2009, 10:51 PM   #218
RendeR
Coordinator

Seriously, talk about over blowing a stadium's worth. And while the scoreboard is very impressive, its also really fucking ugly in the middle of everything.
Old 09-20-2009, 10:52 PM   #219
RendeR
Coordinator

Holy shit she's short!
Old 09-20-2009, 11:02 PM   #220
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Giants are set up real nicely, @ Tampa next week, then Oakland and KC at home. Got a really good shot at starting 5-0.
Old 09-20-2009, 11:07 PM   #221
Izulde
Head Coach

I would just like to say fuck you and your underachieving ass Brandon Jacobs for probably costing me the win this week in fantasy football.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 11:11 PM   #222
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
I would just like to say fuck you and your underachieving ass Brandon Jacobs for probably costing me the win this week in fantasy football.

stick with him, he has a real soft schedule coming up
Old 09-20-2009, 11:13 PM   #223
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
stick with him, he has a real soft schedule coming up

Thanks for letting me know that. I was just pondering cutting him in aggravation.

Old 09-20-2009, 11:21 PM   #224
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Thanks for letting me know that. I was just pondering cutting him in aggravation.

did you see my post above?

TB, Oak, and KC next 3 weeks
Old 09-21-2009, 08:25 AM   #225
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Congrats to the Jet fans for the game yesterday - you guys punched us in the nose and we crumbled. Got a few things to work on for next week though I'm glad the offense is the problem and not the defense; the offense will steady itself while the defense is held together with scotch tape.
Old 09-21-2009, 08:43 AM   #226
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
Jemarcus can make every throw on the football field, from any position in the pocket/behind the line of scrimmage. Unfortunately he can only do so consistently if the target is stationary and a defender isn't in good position.

Wait, I thought you were trying to argue that he's always been an NFL talent?

There are strong-armed ex-football players all over the place. Decision making and accuracy are what make someone an NFL QB, and that's been the knock on Russell all along.
Old 09-21-2009, 08:45 AM   #227
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
Seriously, talk about over blowing a stadium's worth. And while the scoreboard is very impressive, its also really fucking ugly in the middle of everything.

I love how Jones seems to think people want to come to his stadium to watch TV...
Old 09-21-2009, 09:22 AM   #228
TroyF
Coordinator

Not much to add here that hasn't been said. I also get a major kick out of people panicking at 0-2. There are levels. If you are the Titans and are 0-2 and have the next four games before the bye looking like this:

@Jets
@Jags
Colts
@Patriots

maybe you should be a bit concerned. If you are the Bears, even if you'd lost against the Steelers, it wouldn't be time to hit any panic buttons yet.

Some obvservations from two weeks:

Brees is as on as Brady was at the start of 2007. He simply cannot miss right now.

The Steelers O-Line will end any chance they have at repeating.

Brady looked bad yesterday. Not setting in and throwing the ball. The Patriots D has major holes. I think Brady will improve. I think the defense will still suck. I said it last week and I believe it even more now. The Pats look like the early Manning years Colts teams.

I think people may be overrating the Ravens a tad this early in the year. Their offense looks sensational, but that was against the Chiefs D and a Chargers D without Williams. (let's not forget the Chargers gave up 366 yards to the Raiders in week 1). Their defense just doesn't look like what it used to be. 474 yards for the Chargers without a ground game at all? Yikes. Don't get me wrong, I understand how tough that game was yesterday and they could easily make a Super Bowl run. . . I just want to see a little more before I jump on their bandwagon.

The Browns have the single worst offense I've ever seen. The Broncos looked like some incarnation of the '85 Bears yesterday. Watching the game, you never got the feeling they had a chance at a big play. Just a horrible team.

Which AFC team has the best point differential after two weeks? That'd be the Denver Broncos at +26. Which team will have the second or third worst point differential in the AFC by the end of the year? That'd be the Denver Broncos.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 09:27 AM   #229
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

The Pats D has been fine over the first two weeks. It's one thing if you expect regression, but the evidence so far (265 yds/game, 16.5 pts/game) shows them not to be the problem.

edit: Which is not to say that there won't be growing pains this year. My point is just that the defense has held up its end of the bargain the first two games.

Last edited by Ronnie Dobbs2 : 09-21-2009 at 09:35 AM.
Ronnie Dobbs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 09:28 AM   #230
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Obviously not the outcome I would've liked, but a heck of a game (Cowboys - Giants). I can't remember the last time I saw the Giants' run D gashed that badly, but they majorly frustrated Romo even with a number of injuries in the secondary and while the Giants' offense failed in the red zone a lot, they didn't hurt themselves with turnovers and protected Manning very well.
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 09:29 AM   #231
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
Which AFC team has the best point differential after two weeks? That'd be the Denver Broncos at +26.

That's some crazy stuff.
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 09:41 AM   #232
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
The Pats D has been fine over the first two weeks. It's one thing if you expect regression, but the evidence so far (265 yds/game, 16.5 pts/game) shows them not to be the problem.

edit: Which is not to say that there won't be growing pains this year. My point is just that the defense has held up its end of the bargain the first two games.

I agree. Surprisingly well after the loss of Mayo to be honest. I was expecting them to look worse than they did yesterday. The problem yesterday was the offense - the first two drives they put together that ended in FG's - those needed to be punched in. Or at least one of them and then you're looking at a totally different ballgame.

Credit that to the Jets defense for sure - they played much better than I expected, but I also think that as somebody pointed out earlier (molson? gstelmack?) the Pats O-line is not great right now and the timing + connection between Brady and the receivers in the face of that pressure just isn't quite there yet. It's close...but just not quite there.

I also think that although Edelman played very well, if Brady has his "binky" Wes Welker then things might have looked different (possibly). I also thought as early as the 2nd quarter that they weren't running the ball enough. It seemed that Fred Taylor in particular was running very effectively - they could have used to run him more to slow down the Jets blitzing.

But maybe Belichek and Brady know something we don't - maybe they figured "look...Tom needs to see this level of pressure and we're just going to let him try to throw his way back into that perfect pressure-rhythm with his receivers, even if it means that we might end up taking the loss." Not that I think they wanted to lose, but maybe they're seeing a bigger picture and were willing to risk the chance of losing in order to try to get some of the kinks worked out.

It also was pretty close - a couple drops turn into catches and the Pats have a chance of pulling it out to a tie at the end there, or even a win if we talk earlier in the game. Some of those were Galloway, a couple were bad throws by Tom, etc

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 09-21-2009 at 09:43 AM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 03:09 PM   #233
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

What's more surprising:

- 2nd in Points scored: Baltimore Ravens

- Denver is 2-0 with Kyle Orton
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 03:26 PM   #234
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I think definitely the Baltimore offense. Denver has played a couple of teams as equally mediocre as themselves, so 2-0, while not necessarily expected, is not really surprising.

Now, if they finish with more than 6 wins, given their remaining schedule, that will be surprising.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 03:58 PM   #235
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
...thats not to even mention his Ray Charles-esqu field vision.

This thread delivers....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 07:15 PM   #236
spleen1015
Coordinator

I just saw the highlight of the pass that went right through TO's hands.

ROFL.
Old 09-21-2009, 07:45 PM   #237
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

And that just happened.
Old 09-21-2009, 07:52 PM   #238
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Great answer for the Fins!

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 07:58 PM   #239
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
Great answer for the Fins!

Yep. Happy birthday, Wildcat!

Old 09-21-2009, 08:03 PM   #240
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Are these guys singlehandedly trying to nickname Peyton Manning "The Sheriff"? I've never heard him called that before.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 08:08 PM   #241
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Pat has to try sell a fake when he does that. He can't just stand there.

Old 09-21-2009, 08:12 PM   #242
Izulde
Head Coach

Man, I love watching Ronnie Brown run.

Old 09-21-2009, 08:17 PM   #243
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Man, I love watching Ronnie Brown run.

It's great that they established him early. It seemed like last week the game was starting to get away and he only had a handful of carries.

Plus, it's great that they have Ricky (and Patrick) in the depth chart. I think it gives Ronnie the ability to run really hard without worrying that some scab will have to spell him if he can't come back for the next play.

Old 09-21-2009, 08:18 PM   #244
larrymcg421
Head Coach

I'd love to get a 3 and out here and see what this Colts D will look like on the next drive.

Old 09-21-2009, 08:20 PM   #245
spleen1015
Coordinator

I'll take a 50yd TD run from Brown then he can call it a night. I need 11 more points for victory!
Old 09-21-2009, 08:24 PM   #246
dervack
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
I'll take a 50yd TD run from Brown then he can call it a night. I need 11 more points for victory!
I need 9, so I'll take that run too.
dervack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 08:27 PM   #247
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dervack View Post
I need 9, so I'll take that run too.

He's on my bench Probably for the last time until Matt Forte wakes up.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 08:31 PM   #248
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
I just had my worst week ever in fantasy football. Every single one of my starters WAY underperformed. I'll need Manning to throw for 600 yards and 10 TDs to even have a chance.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 08:47 PM   #249
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

my brother had chris johnson, phillip rivers, and vincent jackson.

he rolled to like...242 total points in an espn standard-scoring league
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 08:54 PM   #250
Izulde
Head Coach

I was up against Philip Rivers and Vincent Jackson, which cost me this week.