Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-29-2007, 08:35 PM   #201
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I can't wait until the Lions' dynasty starts and people start calling Lions' fans annoying, arrogant, and classless.

That will be sweet...

Just think, if the Packers lose tonight and the regular season ended immediately after, the Lions would have a first round bye in the playoffs
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 08:50 PM   #202
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I can't wait until the Lions' dynasty starts and people start calling Lions' fans annoying, arrogant, and classless.

That will be sweet...

I am beginning to believe the good Lord is keeping the Dolphins as bottom feeders until the day I pledge not to be that way when they start winning again
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 09:13 PM   #203
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf View Post
b. sad sack fans that want a good team

It's posts like this. A couple of years ago, we were supposed to pity the poor Boston fans. They hadn't had a winner since the Celtics! The Pats were always downtrodden, and the Sox had their century of agony! Now, everyone else can go screw themselves, we have our good teams and all the rest of you are sad sacks and can just go pound sand.
Old 10-29-2007, 09:15 PM   #204
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
The Patriots ran 35 times (vs 41 passes) for 153 yards for a 4.3 yards per carry average. Somehow I don't think running every down would have helped a whole lot here...

You mean the defense wouldn't become very familiar with that play?
Old 10-29-2007, 09:16 PM   #205
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
THE WII WOULD OUTSCORE THE PATRIOTS BY 10 MILLION

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
JUST WAIT AND SEE! THE PS3 WILL SIGN A BUNCH OF AAA FREE AGENTS IN SPRING 08 AND WILL DOMINATE!

I really want to contribute to this but don't have a good line

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 09:19 PM   #206
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
can just go pound sand

I know this is getting way off topic but where is this phrase from?

SI

Old 10-29-2007, 09:20 PM   #207
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
This continued to get worse every year and every super bowl win going forward. Then the Sox broke the curse, and now of course the Red Sox are the penultimate chosen team of god and heaven above.

I think that's a great use of the term "penultimate" as the Yankees are clearly showing us who is the ultimate chosen team of god, upstaging the world series and all...

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 10-29-2007 at 09:20 PM.
Old 10-29-2007, 10:30 PM   #208
Rizon
Pro Starter

F'n Packers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 10:35 PM   #209
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It's posts like this. A couple of years ago, we were supposed to pity the poor Boston fans. They hadn't had a winner since the Celtics! The Pats were always downtrodden, and the Sox had their century of agony! Now, everyone else can go screw themselves, we have our good teams and all the rest of you are sad sacks and can just go pound sand.

Yep. So we're supposed to root for the Boston teams because they can't win. But then they are winning all the time, and if we say ANYTHING critical, that can't be allowed.

Perhaps its all anecdote, but of all the fans I've run into in my life, I do have to say that New England fans have been the most annoying. And I really had little problem with Cowboy fans in the early to mid 90s or, really, Yankee fans in the late 90s (I'm a Mets fan, so I really should have, but I never particularly did... I just hated particular players, like a certain pitcher whose last name rhymes with Lemons). It is the NE fans that tend to annoy the Hell out of me with their bluster and lack of ability to take criticism.

Not that it's all of them, but I tend to find more assholes in the general fan population than other teams. It's really made me hate the Red Sox as much as I hate the Yankees.
Old 10-29-2007, 10:37 PM   #210
Rizon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizon View Post
F'n Packers.

lolz
Quote:
Old 10-29-2007, 10:37 PM   #211
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Holy crap, Brett Favre is amazing!
Old 10-29-2007, 10:38 PM   #212
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

wow, another monday night miracle from Favre
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 10:38 PM   #213
sabotai
General Manager

To me, Patriots fans are the 2nd most annoying fans. First would be Raiders fans who still can't accept that it was not a fumble.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 10:39 PM   #214
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Greg Jennings just won me two fantasy games
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 10:40 PM   #215
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Wow, even I was impressed.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 10:42 PM   #216
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Greg Jennings just won me two fantasy games

He just, um, scored a really long garbage TD for me in two leagues (did I mention I have Brady in both leagues)?

SI

Old 10-29-2007, 10:43 PM   #217
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

WOOHOO!

Amazing. Simply amazing.
Fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 10:43 PM   #218
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I am pissed off about Shanahan's playcalling at the end of regulation. The Broncos had chances to score a touchdown, yet they settled for a rush-to-the-line field goal attempt. It didn't have to go to overtime. There's no way that Cutler should have only gotten one pass to the end zone, but Shanahan's playcalling handcuffed him. Also, what a pleasure it is to see both "shutdown corners" for Denver get absolutely torched tonight. What a disappointment.
Old 10-29-2007, 10:44 PM   #219
Rizon
Pro Starter

Quote:
First would be Raiders fans who still can't accept that their father is married to their sister.

Agreed.
Quote:
Old 10-29-2007, 10:45 PM   #220
sabotai
General Manager

Did Stuart Scott JUST learn about the phrase "Department of Redundancy Department"? I've barely had ESPN on tonight, other than the game, and I think that's the third time I heard him say it today.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 10:47 PM   #221
Rizon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Did Stuart Scott JUST learn about the phrase "Department of Redundancy Department"? I've barely had ESPN on tonight, other than the game, and I think that's the third time I heard him say it today.

I thought he just said "Department of BOOYOW".

PS: Actually, in his defense, I haven't heard him say that in awhile. Course, that is because I shut off the TV when he comes on.
Quote:
Old 10-29-2007, 11:13 PM   #222
Arles
Grey Dog Software

As a Packer fan, that was probably the best game I've seen Favre play in 3 years. Here's hoping this improbable season continues. Although, it will pretty much be moot for any NFC team when they encounter the buzz saw that is New England.
Old 10-30-2007, 12:54 AM   #223
dime
High School JV

I never got why dre bly was supposed to be a plus corner. he's like a slow terrell buckley, gets burned deep for 6 every game I've seen him play.
dime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 01:14 AM   #224
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
At no point in this entire discussion have I or SirFozzie or anyone else tried to claim that there were not asshole Pats fans, or even that there weren't LOTS of asshole Pats fans. Rather, we've said that every team has asshole fans, especially when they are successful and have something to brag about, and even have LOTS of them, so it's pretty hypocritical to decide the entire fanbase sucks (excuse me, the "vast majority of" people living in the region that hosts the team), and ONLY that fanbase sucks.

Lets sart here, I am not hinting, suggesting, stating or otherwise even TRYING to say there aren't asshole fans for other teams. You guys keep trying to put those words in my mouth. I know a number of assinine fans for most every team.

What I am saying is that in my experience of living in and amongst the New England region faithful I have come to understand thet they, in general, are FAR bigger assholes to other teams fans than I've seen anywhere else. Its not just the attitude, its the sheer NUMBER of people with the shitty attitude.

Quote:
The only reason the Patriots are "special" here is because:

1) They are currently successful, and thus fans have something to (legitimately) boast about. For cryin' out loud, they are having one of the best NFL seasons EVER.

I agree but that doesn't give the fans (any team's fans in this situation) free reign to bludgeon everyone else to death with their wild hyperbole about players and general euphoria whilst throwing temper tantrums if anyone even suggests they have some negative highlite. They have every right to be excited, but that excitement shouldn't make you (as in the typical fan) look like a dick when you relate to other people.

Quote:
2) You lived in a hotbed of fandom, so were more likely to run into an asshole Pats fan, simply because you ran into a LOT of Pats fans. And all it takes is running into one to overshadow the next 10 nice ones you meet, as you may not even ever realise they were fans, and they were completely overshadowed by the one blowhard jerk.

This would probably be true, if I didn't have a large number of friends, good people and good fans who were PAtriots fans. No matter how decent these guys were, even THEY got upset over the vast majority of other fans in the area. This just isn't true in this case.

Quote:
3) You listened to lots of sports radio, and somehow decided that a profession filled with blowhard jerks (with Jim Rome their king) is representative of their fans.

Actually, I rarely listened to sports talk radio specifically. There are butt-tons of talk radio stations on almost any and every topic in new Englans, the insane part was how they ALL suddenly turned into raging fanboys and espoused the coronation of Boston as the rown Jewel of sports cities. As if the previous century of utter futility had never existed.

Quote:
And then you come in here and make comments about the whole fanbase based on that. The only qualifier you made was "its the vast majority of New Englanders", which wasn't much of one, and even explicitly went beyond fans.

How exactly are we not supposed to react defensively, when you've been as broad as possible in your statements? And when it comes up in pretty much every NFL thread?

My main point in this and every other time it's come up is: if you're going to hate a fanbase because there are lots of jerks in it, at least be consistent and admit you hate ALL fanbases. Otherwise, stop using a broad brush and by implication insulting a fair chunk of this board (no matter what team's fanbase you are bashing).

And you again mis the point, I don't have to hate all fanbases, because having lived in San Diego, San Francisco, Charlotte, South Florida (Orlando, swarming with Dlphin and Tampa Fans), and of course Boston, the only group of fans I came to despise is the Boston one.

For christs sake man, I lived in San Fran during the MONTANA years and I'm a BENGALS fan! I have far more reason to hate them than anyone else, but you know what? Their fans, for the vast majority, didn't treat everyone else like fucking peons beneath their feet. They had some class. They gave real credit where it was due, they didn't go apeshit on people for daring to have an opinion that wasn't "Your team is god's gift"

And let's be clear here, I've brought this up 1 time on my own, this conversation was already steaming along the shitpile in this thread and most others I've ever mentioned the situation in. Don't dogpile MY ass when there are far more than just me stating where the problem lies.

I'm not the only one bitching about the fanbase, I'm just one of lhe loudest and most willing to let the frustration with the constant excuses out in whatever manner it feels like. Read the thread, I'm not alone here. If you don't want to listen to my opinion, fine, read the other half dozen that come along. We can't ALL just be lame ass haters, no matter how much most pat's fans would like to say so.

Last edited by RendeR : 10-30-2007 at 01:24 AM.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 01:35 AM   #225
RendeR
Coordinator

You know whats really kinda sad?

My oiginal post #141, was really an attempt to let my opinion out about exactly how and when i saw things change in new England in the nicest way I could. Yet, Gstelmack, and rkmsuf immediately took offense and instead of assuming I would KNOW there are always some decent fans supporting very team, they just went balistic and started a bitch-fest.

Now can some neutral party read that post of mine and honestly say I was tryin to be a prick? Or does it read more like I'm just telling it the way it happend for me? Maybe I am a prick, guess I'll have to live with that.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 01:56 AM   #226
WVUFAN
College Starter

Quote:
What I am saying is that in my experience of living in and amongst the New England region faithful I have come to understand thet they, in general, are FAR bigger assholes to other teams fans than I've seen anywhere else. Its not just the attitude, its the sheer NUMBER of people with the shitty attitude.

As a New England fan since I was 5, I will agree with you. Boston/New England fans are currently, on the whole, incredibly annoying and dickish.

As a 37 year old man, I can say the fans of Dallas in the 1990's were, on the whole, incredibly annoying and dickish.

The fans of the 49ers in the 1980's were incredibly annoying and dickish. See a pattern?

I'm not excusing it, but success breeds this sort of thing. In each circumstances, the teams I mentionend above were downtrodden in the years before they had their success, so fans, at least most of them, had nothing really to cheer for. Suddenly they had a "dynasty", and those years of frustration turned into callous and annoying behavior.

Not saying it's right, just saying why I think it exists. Patriot fans aren't alone in this -- this behavior will occur again the next team that dominated and wins Super Bowls over years. If the Colts repeat and win a few more down the road, Colts fans will be next.

I look at the "running up the score" thing from a business perspective, because pro football is moreso a business now than it was in the 70's -- there's much more at stake for players in today's game. You're asking a business to STOP performing so a competitor can look better. Doesn't make sense. It's in the best interest of the team to continue to dominate play whenever possible, because you'll have better attendence, and more sales of product the "better" you show up your opponent. There's nothing at all to gain by letting up when you could score again.

As for the score, I disagree with someone who said nothing would happen to the person who took out Brady on purpose. The NFL would roast that player alive. You might get away with it with another player, but if you did that to Manning when he was going for the TD record, or now with Brady, two selling points for the league, you don't do that to marquee players. Goddell would have his heart for lunch.

Last edited by WVUFAN : 10-30-2007 at 01:57 AM.
WVUFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 02:41 AM   #227
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Quote:
You know whats really kinda sad?

My oiginal post #141, was really an attempt to let my opinion out about exactly how and when i saw things change in new England in the nicest way I could. Yet, Gstelmack, and rkmsuf immediately took offense and instead of assuming I would KNOW there are always some decent fans supporting very team, they just went balistic and started a bitch-fest.

Now can some neutral party read that post of mine and honestly say I was tryin to be a prick? Or does it read more like I'm just telling it the way it happend for me? Maybe I am a prick, guess I'll have to live with that.

Well, I read post 141 and you were being a prick. You labelled ALL Pats fans in that post with one broad brush and said you didn't respect them. That's class A prick behavior. And then you are shocked a Pats fan gets defensive about it?!?!?!?

You know who I can't stand? . . . . People who don't like other team's fans. What a joke. Grow up.
Vinatieri for Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 02:44 AM   #228
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Quote:
You don;t see THAT in this day and age. But if the pats are up 50 next week and Brady is still in the game and a colts lineman rolls up his legs and puts him down for the season, what are they going to do?

nothing.

And the patriots and their fans will have only one person to blame, Bellicheck.

Why would I blame Belichick? That Brady got hurt while playing and trying to score points like he gets paid to do?

You know who else I can't stand? Someone who lived in Boston for 5 years or whatever and can't spell the names right of the people he professes to know so much about.

Last edited by Vinatieri for Prez : 10-30-2007 at 02:47 AM.
Old 10-30-2007, 02:47 AM   #229
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Quote:
*grins*

Honestly, I would hope someone would step up and tel me if I become a real asshole if the bengals ever finally figure out how to win consistantly and *gasp* dominate the league.

I don't want to BE that fan. If nothing else, i've seen how the patriots following has become and It makes me sad.

You're already there AND the Bengals suck.

Last edited by Vinatieri for Prez : 10-30-2007 at 02:48 AM.
Old 10-30-2007, 02:49 AM   #230
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Holy crap, Brett Favre is amazing!

That was vintage turn the clock back stuff. It truly was amazing. That ball dropped out of the sky and hit Jennings on the dead run.

I've hated the Pack for awhile - for no other reason than beating the Pats in the SB and being a very good team in the 90s. Yep, that's all it takes. Don't mind their fans though. Some of my friends are Pack fans. They rubbed that stuff in 10 years back. However, I don't think they're classless in the least. Because that's what being a fan is about.

Anyways, the hate dissipated as the Pack got crappy (funny how that works) and now I'm officially on the Pack bandwagon. Absolutely loving the stout defense and Favre chucking it around. I would love nothing more than a rematch in the SB against them.

Last edited by Vinatieri for Prez : 10-30-2007 at 02:54 AM.
Old 10-30-2007, 03:18 AM   #231
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

While I'm at it. Let me ask RendeR if he thought a fan was classless if he made these kinds of comments:

"This is going to be one unfuckingbelievable season!!! Yeah, green Bay sucks, but even against bad teams you shouldn't see 34 points in a half. Love this team, can't wait to watch them win Super Bowl 41!!"

"Good thing the Niners will spend the rest of this decade watching the Super Bowl at home then isn't it."

"At this point Chiefs fans have nothing more to look forward to than poking fun at other teams fans."

"Don't stress the chiefs fans, all they've got is talk."

"How about we just stop injecting Tom "My ass is god's toilet tissue" brady into every fucking NFL thread? hmmm? Perhaps not everyone gives a flying fuck about Tom "I'm on the perfect team for my abilities and have the best game planning coach" brady?"

"We should be able to be 6-0 heading into the toughest stretch of our schedule:

Atlanta at home
At baltimore
San Diego at home

I'm going to predict we take 2 of 3 of those, very optimistic, but 2 at home and we've been excellent in baltimore recently. I think we can get to 8-1."

"I'm jsut taking into account that their offense sucks ass."

"Maybe I tire of being ridiculed as I support what COULD be the best team in the AFC or perhaps the NFL this season?"

Although this is my all-time favorite: "Brady isn't Joe Cool anymore, he's showing his humanity. Palmer is a block of ice out there. And he's got more talent. Homer-ize over Brady all you want, Palmer is a better QB."

All this coming from a fan of a team that had sucked for years, done nothing to earn such talk.

I am pretty sure you know who said these things. You can find them all here in this thread: http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/...ad.php?t=52210

You see, I don't think it was classless. That's the fun about being a fan - talking smack (although it helps if you have a team that can back it up). But by your definition, anyone whoever met you would think "man, those bengals fans are assholes."

Last edited by Vinatieri for Prez : 10-30-2007 at 03:21 AM.
Old 10-30-2007, 04:06 AM   #232
airulf
H.S. Freshman Team

I other news: Jeff George seeks comeback with Minnesota Vikings
http://www.twincities.com/allheadlin...nclick_check=1

Quote:
Jeff George seeks comeback with Minnesota Vikings
BY SEAN JENSEN
Pioneer Press
Article Last Updated: 10/29/2007 06:28:13 PM CDT

Want a blast from the past? Quarterback Jeff George hopes the Vikings give him a chance to repeat his performance in 1999, when he led the team to an 8-2 finish and a victory over the Dallas Cowboys in the playoffs.

Around lunchtime Monday, George contacted Paul Allen, the radio voice of the Vikings and the co-host of a morning show on KFAN-AM, to see if Allen could gauge the team's interest.

George told the Pioneer Press on Monday afternoon that he is intrigued by the potential of the Vikings' offense, as well as a chance to work with second-year quarterback Tarvaris Jackson.

"I know they're banged up," said George, 39. "But with a running back like Adrian Peterson, I would be licking my chops. With that running back, you need someone who can throw that deep ball, and I know I still can. I don't care about the talent at receiver."

George, who spent a week with the Oakland Raiders last season, hasn't thrown a pass in a regular season NFL game since 2001, when he started two games for the Washington Redskins.

Look for more on this story in Tuesday's paper.

Any idea if this will actually happen?

Last edited by airulf : 10-30-2007 at 04:07 AM.
airulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 06:31 AM   #233
miami_fan
Coordinator

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUFAN View Post
As a New England fan since I was 5, I will agree with you. Boston/New England fans are currently, on the whole, incredibly annoying and dickish.

As a 37 year old man, I can say the fans of Dallas in the 1990's were, on the whole, incredibly annoying and dickish.

The fans of the 49ers in the 1980's were incredibly annoying and dickish. See a pattern?

I'm not excusing it, but success breeds this sort of thing. In each circumstances, the teams I mentionend above were downtrodden in the years before they had their success, so fans, at least most of them, had nothing really to cheer for. Suddenly they had a "dynasty", and those years of frustration turned into callous and annoying behavior.

Not saying it's right, just saying why I think it exists. Patriot fans aren't alone in this -- this behavior will occur again the next team that dominated and wins Super Bowls over years. If the Colts repeat and win a few more down the road, Colts fans will be next.

I look at the "running up the score" thing from a business perspective, because pro football is moreso a business now than it was in the 70's -- there's much more at stake for players in today's game. You're asking a business to STOP performing so a competitor can look better. Doesn't make sense. It's in the best interest of the team to continue to dominate play whenever possible, because you'll have better attendence, and more sales of product the "better" you show up your opponent. There's nothing at all to gain by letting up when you could score again.

As for the score, I disagree with someone who said nothing would happen to the person who took out Brady on purpose. The NFL would roast that player alive. You might get away with it with another player, but if you did that to Manning when he was going for the TD record, or now with Brady, two selling points for the league, you don't do that to marquee players. Goddell would have his heart for lunch.

Best post of the entire thread! BRAVO!
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 10-30-2007, 06:50 AM   #234
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUFAN
You're asking a business to STOP performing so a competitor can look better. Doesn't make sense. It's in the best interest of the team to continue to dominate play whenever possible, because you'll have better attendence, and more sales of product the "better" you show up your opponent. There's nothing at all to gain by letting up when you could score again.

1) Sports leagues are NOT like regular businesses. Other businesses do not need their competitors to survive (and prosper) in order for them to prosper (unless they are subject to antitrust suits, but that's another story). Sports leagues require most, if not all, of the competitors to succeed. Otherwise, you aren't going to get any money. You think the Pats would be making much if they were a barnstorming team with no national TV deal?

2) I don't think that "dominating play" really will add to attendance. Winning will. Blowing everyone out, I'm not sure.
Old 10-30-2007, 07:08 AM   #235
JeeberD
General Manager

So Tony Romo got his new contract...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/s...=ESPNHeadlines

Quote:
Tony Romo didn't have to wait until the offseason to get his big payday from the Dallas Cowboys after all.

The Cowboys and their quarterback have reached an agreement on a six-year, $67.5 million contract extension, $30 million of which is guaranteed, sources told ESPN's Ed Werder and ESPN.com's Matt Mosley on Monday. The deal includes an $11.5 million signing bonus.

"Right now, we're just talking, but it's closer than it was before," Romo said late Monday. "I feel like I'm going to be with the Cowboys the rest of my career, definitely. I love it."

Romo's deal surpasses the six-year, $65 million contract ($27 million guaranteed) that St. Louis Rams quarterback Marc Bulger signed at the start of training camp. Romo and Bulger have the same agents, Ken Kremer and Tom Condon.

"It's a great feeling you have when the organization and the people stand behind you, and you can be the quarterback for a long, long time," Romo said. "It's a neat feeling that, 'You're our guy, we like you.' ... It makes you feel good as a person and a player."

Teammates feel good about it, too.

"It's a sense of relief that he's got it out of the way," center Andre Gurode said. "Now he can move on with the season. I'm happy he's going to be here for a long time."

Cowboys Pro Bowl tight end Jason Witten has been Romo's closest friend on the team since the two entered the league in 2003.

"He signed for $10,000 and his chances were slim," Witten said. "I told my wife that if anyone deserves that type of money, it's Tony."

Witten joked that he's hoping to benefit from the deal.

"I'm going to talk to him about taking care of my initiation fees at a local golf club," he said. "And maybe he can get us room upgrades on the road now."

Linebacker Akin Ayodele considers Romo's payday a message that the Cowboys are serious about returning to glory.

"He's the future of the team," Ayodele said. "To have him signed, that's important because you want to establish your quarterback who is going to lead you through things and win you championships"

Romo was in the final year of his contract and could have become a free agent at the end of the season. By signing him to a new deal before Nov. 5, the Cowboys will be able to apply some of this money toward their 2007 salary cap.

Owner Jerry Jones could not be reached for comment.

Romo hoped to get a new deal this past summer. Jones opted to let the relatively unproven quarterback go into his first year in charge just to make sure he was worth a huge commitment.

The answer came quickly. Romo was the NFC's offensive player of the month in September and Dallas finished October with the No. 1 offense in the conference.

Romo is in his fourth year in the NFL, but has started only 17 games. He's won 12 and done so in such dazzling fashion that Roger Staubach's grandson likes wearing Romo's No. 9 jersey, not his grandpa's No. 12.

"He's fun to watch," Staubach said recently.

Teammates agree. They often say that for all the great plays he's pulled off in games -- like running back 33 yards to recover an errant snap and turning it into a 4-yard gain -- he's done even more in practices. That's why they rallied behind him so well when he took over last season and why he was voted a team captain this year.

It's also why Dallas was able to pull off a comeback win in Buffalo a few weeks ago, with Romo leading the charge even after it was his five interceptions and a lost fumble that got the team in trouble.

"We definitely feed off him," Ayodele said. "You know you are always in a game to win it."

Romo burst onto the scene last October, with coach Bill Parcells sending him in to replace Drew Bledsoe at halftime of a Monday night game against the New York Giants. His first pass was an interception and that close game turned into a lopsided loss. Yet his career was about to take off.

Dallas won five of his first six starts in such spectacular fashion that some fans hung Romo's name on the Ring of Honor in Texas Stadium on Thanksgiving. And that was before kickoff, which meant prior to him matching a club record with five touchdown passes.

Punter Mat McBriar was thrilled to hear about the contract Monday evening.

"It's well-deserved," he said."He had to battle through a lot things, and he almost got squeezed out at one point. But he stuck around and had a good attitude. I think it's a great story. Underdogs come through sometimes, and he's one of those."

This season, Romo already has set the club record for 300-yard games. He leads the NFC with 1,984 yards passing and 16 touchdowns; both are second in the NFL behind Tom Brady.

Pretty good for a guy who wasn't drafted coming out of Division I-AA Eastern Illinois.

Cowboys scout Jim Hess recommended that the Cowboys sign Romo when he went undrafted. Fellow Eastern Illinois alum Sean Payton, then the Cowboys passing game coordinator, and assistant David Lee both played a large role in Romo's development. It was Lee, now the offensive coordinator at Arkansas, who changed the quarterback's throwing motion from a three-quarter delivery to more of an overhand style.

Lee noticed immediately that Romo had excellent footwork, and tried to build around that. If not for the release of Quincy Carter during the 2004 training camp, the world may have never known about Romo.

Carter had just led the team to the playoffs, and the Cowboys had traded a third-round draft choice to the Texans for Drew Henson. With Parcells favorite Vinny Testaverde on the roster, Romo may have been the odd man out.

With every great game Romo's had this season, Jones has known the pricetag for the new contract was rising. He figured it was worth it to reduce the risk. Besides, the better Romo does, the more money the team makes.

"A lot of times, you don't have a choice, so you've got to make a decision right there. But we have the luxury of time," Jones said recently. "It fits him, too. It lets him have a better feel for where he's going to be."

Being quarterback of "America's Team" has fit Romo quite nicely.

He's already dated country star Carrie Underwood and been linked in gossip magazines to Jessica Simpson and, as of this past weekend, Britney Spears. Romo spent his bye weekend in Los Angeles and wound up at the same place as Spears, landing him back in the tabloids.

"It comes with the territory, I guess," he said.

So do the big bucks.

Sadly, he may have just gotten a ton of diseases as well...

NSFW link

hXXp://www.idontlikeyouinthatway.com/2007/10/britney-gives-tony-romo-strikenightmaresstrike-a-lap-dance.html

Quote:
Ryan "I Am Gay" Seacrest, was at Les Deux Friday night where Britney Spears was celebrating being a loser after her custody hearing and was witnessed giving Dallas Cowboys quarterback, Tony Romo, a lap dance.

I spoke to her for a minute. She seemed to be in a very, very good mood," he said on his KIIS-FM radio show this morning. "She had her sunglasses on. I said, 'Busy day, huh?' She kind of smiled and laughed and said, 'Yeah.' And then I believe I saw her and Tony Romo frolicking."

"Lap dancing?" a co-host asked.

"I mean some would say," Seacrest said.

"She's on his lap," the co-host continued.

"Yeah," Seacrest replied.

Usmagazine.com reported Spears (with longtime pal Alli Sims) first met up with Romo when they made a five-minute stop at Ketchup restaurant in L.A.after her frenzied custody court hearing on Friday. Spears and Sims left after about five minutes. The pair hit Les Deux around 10:30 p.m. Romo, 27 (who was recently linked to Sophia Bush), and his friends joined them a short time later. "She was dancing and talking a lot with Tony," an onlooker told Usmagazine.com. Spears, the witness added, "seemed in a really good mood and was super happy when [one of her] songs came on." Her pal Avril Lavigne also popped by her table to say hi. In typical Spears club style, the singer changed into a new dress and shades in a club bathroom midway through the night. By 1:15 a.m., Spears left with Sims, but returned to the club a short time later after realizing she accidentally left her cell phone behind."

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 07:40 AM   #236
dime
High School JV

bill belichick has a one-inch penis and wants to take it out on everyone. new englanders have an inferiority complex that doesn't go away even when the teams they root for are superior. neither of these things are new.

in all seriousness, I think the big difference between the cowboy/49er/yankee dynasties and the pats/red sox dynasties is that the former never were so sensitive to "criticism" as the latter. they didn't expect to be praised by other fans, and they didn't cry about being tarnished by those fans either. maybe that's because they were jerks and the new england fans are actual people, so they bleed when you cut them. I don't know.

new englanders are in a new, weird place for them --,they still identify themselves as the lovable underdogs full of baseball curses and football futility and so on even though they have a couple of juggernauts now...yet they still want to be loved and cheered for by everyone else. that just isn't a reasonable expectation.

the media's overexposure of the red sox and the many legitimately unlikeable qualities of the football team combine with each team's massive success to generate a lot of resentment and general fatigue. my advice is deal with it like big boys. act like you've been there before, even if you haven't.
Old 10-30-2007, 07:45 AM   #237
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

5 years ago today...........

"You play to win the game!"

---Herm Edwards
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 07:56 AM   #238
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by dime View Post

in all seriousness, I think the big difference between the cowboy/49er/yankee dynasties and the pats/red sox dynasties is that the former never were so sensitive to "criticism" as the latter.

The biggest difference is the emergence of the internet and message boards.

Last edited by molson : 10-30-2007 at 07:56 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 07:57 AM   #239
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUFAN View Post

I actually disagree with this but everyone seems to be ok with it. I think there are good and bad dynasties. Or, more specifically, dynasties that wear out their welcome sooner than others. For instance, 49ers fans were less obnoxious than Cowboys fans, Braves fans less than Yankees fans, etc. And that's where I think there needs to be some distinction.

SI

Old 10-30-2007, 08:04 AM   #240
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I actually disagree with this but everyone seems to be ok with it. I think there are good and bad dynasties. Or, more specifically, dynasties that wear out their welcome sooner than others. For instance, 49ers fans were less obnoxious than Cowboys fans, Braves fans less than Yankees fans, etc. And that's where I think there needs to be some distinction.

SI

Perhaps it has something to do with how much passion those fans show that causes them to become borderline insufferable when they achieve success. I grew up in Atlanta and moved away in 1996, and even when the Braves were at their peak, they still didn't sell out ballgames and local sports shows talked as much about College football as the Braves. I then moved to Dallas who was right at the peak of the Cowboys success, and there you see the same type of behavior as you saw from yankees fans, or now Pats fans.. I think its just passion that is shown in an annoying light to many.

In the end, I loved when my Braves were among the best, and wish my Falcons would be. I don't have any problem with fans that enjoy their team's success. I mean I can just ignore them if they get too annoying. I think people who are lashing out at Pats fans now should re-evaluate why they even care probably. Just shrug it off and ignore people if they bug you.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 08:08 AM   #241
molson
General Manager

Quote:

new englanders are in a new, weird place for them --,they still identify themselves as the lovable underdogs full of baseball curses and football futility and so on even though they have a couple of juggernauts now...yet they still want to be loved and cheered for by everyone else. that just isn't a reasonable expectation.

I think there's a lot of truth here. Going from the Bad News Bears to the Yankees overnight (in more than one sport), is petty unusual. So when overnight, everyone suddenly decides you're as an asshole, after you spent your entire childhood rooting for losers, it makes THEM look like petty and insecure jerks who are jelous of the team's success. And they're not just insulting your team (which would be fine), they're insulting your whole life, where you grew up, where you're friends and family are. It's a prick move, and when you respond appropriately, then you're "obnoxious" and the wheels really start moving. Something of a self-fulfilling prophecy.

It actually can be an interesting discussion if you take a step back to look at it - but then you have a jerk like Render break out the "fucking idiot" card in an argument where his whole point is that OTHER people are jerks. Which is kind of funny. (Though I don't feel everyone is Buffalo is a jerk, because that would be silly)

Last edited by molson : 10-30-2007 at 08:14 AM.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:18 AM   #242
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
5 years ago today...........

"You play to win the game!"

---Herm Edwards

Someone may want to send a link of this rant to the Dolphins and the Rams.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:20 AM   #243
dime
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I think there's a lot of truth here. Going from the Bad News Bears to the Yankees overnight (in more than one sport), is petty unusual. So when overnight, everyone suddenly decides you're as an asshole, after you spent your entire childhood rooting for losers, it makes THEM look like petty and insecure jerks. Because they're not just insulting your team (which would be fine), they're insulting your whole life, where you grew up, where you're friends and family are. It's a prick move, and when you respond appropriately, then you're "obnoxious" and the wheels really start moving. Something a self-fulfilling prophecy.

well I think what you're missing is the "we rooted for losers" part -- the red sox were never losers. just because the yankees won world series and you didn't, doesn't mean your team sucked. how many playoff games, all-star players, hall of fame players did red sox fans get to enjoy? a LOT...and yet they cried like they were poor orphans. that is kind of offensive and tiresome to fans in, say, texas or milwaukee or philadelphia or chicago or cleveland or seattle or montreal and so on. those fans "suffered" a lot more than any red sox fan.

the patriots were pretty hapless losers, yes. however, belichick has been hated by many long before he ever got to new england - he's just more of an asshole now than ever before, and the endless "we get no respect" chip-on-our-shoulder nonsense is just insulting to the intelligence of anyone who doesn't root for the patriots. I'm also not crazy about the wal-mart approach to personnel that they have, although the eagles share in the blame on this.

you could actually make a parallel between the red sox and the USA...during the cold war, the USA had some goodwill simply because they were the alternative to the Soviet Bloc (yankees?), whom everyone feared/hated. after the cold war, the USA really started throwing their weight around, and was surprised that they weren't universally beloved.

as for the internet, although there was no sports guy it was definitely around in the 49ers/cowboys/lakers days. the 49ers and cowboys had a red sox/yankee thing going on and everyone hated it just as much then as they do now.

Last edited by dime : 10-30-2007 at 08:24 AM.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:25 AM   #244
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
I never got why dre bly was supposed to be a plus corner. he's like a slow terrell buckley, gets burned deep for 6 every game I've seen him play.

I was also surprised how he totally gave up on that play. Once Jennings got to around the 20/15 yard line, Bly just pulled up and started jogging after him. Even Lady H_B made a comment on how lame that was.

Apparently, Bly was quite the "bad seed" in Detroit. He, along with James Hall and Marcus Bell, were considered among the "ringleaders" of an overall bad attitude in Detroit. Maranelli has done a decent job of getting rid of them in an attempt to hope to turn the team around. The only one he hung on to was Shaun Rogers because he is just too good.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 08:33 AM   #245
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
I am pissed off about Shanahan's playcalling at the end of regulation. The Broncos had chances to score a touchdown, yet they settled for a rush-to-the-line field goal attempt. It didn't have to go to overtime. There's no way that Cutler should have only gotten one pass to the end zone, but Shanahan's playcalling handcuffed him. Also, what a pleasure it is to see both "shutdown corners" for Denver get absolutely torched tonight. What a disappointment.

Agree 100%. I'm normally a huge Shanahan fan, but it seemed inexcusable to not even really try for the win. I'm almost glad it bit them so quickly, hopefully he learned a lesson.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 08:34 AM   #246
molson
General Manager

Quote:
well I think what you're missing is the "we rooted for losers" part -- the red sox were never losers. just because the yankees won world series and you didn't, doesn't mean your team sucked. how many playoff games, all-star players, hall of fame players did red sox fans get to enjoy? a LOT...and yet they cried like they were poor orphans. that is kind of offensive and tiresome to fans in, say, texas or milwaukee or philadelphia or chicago or cleveland or seattle or montreal and so on. those fans "suffered" a lot more than any red sox fan.

There's teams with far worse histories, true, and I definitely can understand how the hype of the "curse" could be annoying to the fans of the teams you mentioned. I think the entity to blame there is the media though. Boston fans are worried about Boston, and Rangers fans are worried about the Rangers. Boston fans aren't going to cry about how bad the Rangers' history is. It's not our fault that ESPN has decided (for a variety of reasons, largely population-based), that the curse was the biggest story of those teams.

Back to the self-fulfilling prophecy thing though - if you (and not meaning you, but anyone), treats everyone like they're assholes, they shouldn't be shocked if that's how those people start behaving. This weekend, we and my friend were harassed by probably around 15 Rocky fans total, some yelling about payroll, some yelling that we were bandwagon fans (which is funny because I've been a fan twice as long as the Rocky franchise has existed), and yes, a couple were working the whole "asshole fans" angle. And I can't speak for every Red Sox fan at the stadium, but I tend to be pretty quiet at sporting events - I'll never take ANYONE on in any kind of serious argument, at most there'll be good-natured back and forth banter.

But as I described above, I was actually physically shoved at one point in game 3, by someone I had had NO Previous interaction with. Between that, and people yelling at us outside the stadium, our primary instinct was just to live up to "character" the next game. I wanted to bring the brooms, mock the stadium, and the Rocky fans, most of whom had followed the team for about 3 weeks at that point. I didn't, because I didn't want to risk getting in a fight or something and get kicked out at the clinching game, but I can definitely see how it could happen.

The point is, if someone is going to decide that "Patriots fans are jerks", you're going to be treating them in a way that will make your perceptions true. But I'm pretty sure my parents aren't jerks, neither were my friends in the neighborhood, neither was the mailman, or the nice old guy across the street that let us play baseball in his yard. Or my first grade teacher, or the pastor at are church. They were are regular people.

I shouldn't care when it's all attacked (and I really don't, THAT much, but as someone said above, this is a message board, it's what you do, respond to stuff). I'm sure if there were message boards in the 60s the midwest and Yankee fans would be at each other's throats.

Last edited by molson : 10-30-2007 at 08:36 AM.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:36 AM   #247
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:

exactly

it's all cycles. boston fans will be sad sacks again at some point.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:39 AM   #248
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
bill belichick has a one-inch penis and wants to take it out on everyone. new englanders have an inferiority complex that doesn't go away even when the teams they root for are superior. neither of these things are new.

in all seriousness, I think the big difference between the cowboy/49er/yankee dynasties and the pats/red sox dynasties is that the former never were so sensitive to "criticism" as the latter. they didn't expect to be praised by other fans, and they didn't cry about being tarnished by those fans either. maybe that's because they were jerks and the new england fans are actual people, so they bleed when you cut them. I don't know.

the media's overexposure of the red sox and the many legitimately unlikeable qualities of the football team combine with each team's massive success to generate a lot of resentment and general fatigue. my advice is deal with it like big boys. act like you've been there before, even if you haven't.

Wow... brilliant post. And I think encapsulates a lot of the issue here. I actually had a Red Sox fan in my office who argued that the Sox should be the underdogs in the World Series because the Rockies had won 20 out of the last 21 games. Really? There is just something so offputting about wanting to be seen as underdogs when you have that much success and that much money.
Old 10-30-2007, 09:38 AM   #249
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Wow... brilliant post. And I think encapsulates a lot of the issue here. I actually had a Red Sox fan in my office who argued that the Sox should be the underdogs in the World Series because the Rockies had won 20 out of the last 21 games. Really? There is just something so offputting about wanting to be seen as underdogs when you have that much success and that much money.

If he said the Red Sox were going to sweep, you would have thought he was arrogant, ESPCIALLY if the series had turned out to be more competitive. (Look no further than the MLB playoff thread, where once the Indians went up 3-1, one guy posted about the "arrogant" Sox fans that thought before the series, that they would win.).

As a Red Sox/Pats fan on a message board and real-life conversations, I err on the side of giving credit to the other team, just to try to avoid these kind of labels. And now, we get criticized when we go too far in that direction.

So in a best of 7 series, a Red Sox fan is criticized if he picks either team to win. If we're confident about the team, we're arrogant. If we downplay their chances, we're obnoxiously playing the underdog card. Not that I care, I'm just pointing out the illogical nature of what we're dealing with.

This is the part of the thread where the blanket haters realize how illogical they are and just say, "well, you shouldn't cry about it because your team is successful", making one last attempt to make us the bad guy simply for responding.

EDIT: Holy shit, that guy in the other forum was YOU. Here's your quote:

"Yep... though it makes it easier to celebrate every Indians victory. Man, the BoSox fans in my office talking about sweep after Game 1 (and were pretty much talking about it before the series) was enough to make me retch."

LOL. I wonder if those were the same people in your office. They're predicting sweep, you want to retch. When the SAME people later give the Rockies credit for their great season, you consider that off-putting.

You sum up the typical illogical Red Sox/Pats area very concisely. Thanks for giving me material the next time this comes up.

Last edited by molson : 10-30-2007 at 09:53 AM.
Old 10-30-2007, 09:54 AM   #250
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
If he said the Red Sox were going to sweep, you would have thought he was arrogant

Actually... he said that too. Which I thought was strange... until he indicated that being the underdog and sweeping your opponent wasn't mutually exclusive and then I thought he was just nutty. But I've seen it too much to simply write him off as an exception.

edit: I actually did point out that you can't claim underdog status and then claim you are going to sweep the other team (I guess you can, though, thinking back... claiming how everyone is underrating you, etc), but he just ran away.

And I don't think you understand that THIS doublespeak is one of the big reasons we have a problem with your fanbase. As dice's post encapsulates. There is a 'love us, we're underdogs' type of attitude with 'how dare you dis us, we are so good' ideal that is quite jarring.

Quote:
And now, we get criticized when we go too far in that direction.

Calling yourself an underdog when you are quite clearly a favorite is more than just going "too far". It's Lou Holtz like bull.

Quote:
So in a best of 7 series, a Red Sox fan is criticized if he picks either team to win. If we're confident about the team, we're arrogant. If we downplay their chances, we're obnoxiously playing the underdog card. Not that I care, I'm just pointing out the illogical nature of what we're dealing with.

Uhhh... no. But thanks for playing the "we're doomed no matter what we do card". You can be confident without being arrogant. You can downplay your chances without obnoxiously playing the underdog card. There is a line. It isn't a you are with us or against us.

Quote:
This is the part of the thread where the blanket haters realize how illogical they are and just say, "well, you shouldn't cry about it because your team is successful", making one last attempt to make us the bad guy simply for responding.

Woe is us! Look how we is picked on!

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 10-30-2007 at 10:02 AM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote