Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-30-2006, 10:52 AM   #201
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72
Wai-wai-wait...I'm still stuck on v5, but looking at the guys that Galt listed...is ground ball % not even a percentage anymore? Is this a 1-10 deal? Why is it even listed as a percentage then?

Don't know, but this guy:
http://reports.ootpbaseball2006.com/...ayer_6270.html

led the league in 2012 with a GB% of 1.00.

Fortunately, the league doesn't have a minimum innings pitched to win this award, so he won it while only pitching 1 inning.
Old 05-30-2006, 11:08 AM   #202
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

http://reports.ootpbaseball2006.com/...layer_989.html

Through 2011, this guy had been a standout pitcher for Colorado, one of the best in the league.

Then...

11-26-2011 Signed a 4-year contract worth a total of $25,360,000 with the Philadelphia Moguls organization.
01-01-2012 SISA scouting updated ratings (potential): Stuff: 8 (8); Movement: 13 (14); Control: 11 (11).
01-14-2012 Was traded by the Philadelphia Moguls to the Wichita Dazzle, along with $3,000,000, in exchange for CF J. Severance, SP D. Ridings.

Now that's not necessarily a bug, but it does seem unrealistic to have a guy sign a big money FA contract, then get traded before ever suiting up for his new team. Have you ever seen that in real-life MLB with an elite player? My guess is that the talent drop had something to do with it, although why is a guy taking a talent hit on new year's day?
Old 05-30-2006, 11:11 AM   #203
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs
My guess is that the talent drop had something to do with it, although why is a guy taking a talent hit on new year's day?

I don't think his talent is dropping on New Year's, it's just that SISA is doing some evaluations on that particular day.
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 11:15 AM   #204
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

http://reports.ootpbaseball2006.com/...layer_349.html

This guy is another stud pitcher. He lead the league in ERA six years in a row through 2011 and racks up big K's. But while Dalina (the guy in the example above) was signed a four-year, $26M deal as a free agent, this guy keeps signing low dollar extensions. In fact, he signs the exact same three-year contract extension worth $2,760,000 on three separate occasions.

So even though he's arguably the best pitcher in baseball, he's willing to play for under $1M a season while Dalina gets $6.5M. I understand that you want to factor in loyalty, but this guy needs a new agent.

Edit: Compate him to this guy (http://reports.ootpbaseball2006.com/...player_37.html) who signs extensions for $59M and $37M during his career.)

Last edited by Maple Leafs : 05-30-2006 at 11:20 AM.
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 11:15 AM   #205
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar
I don't think his talent is dropping on New Year's, it's just that SISA is doing some evaluations on that particular day.
OK, but based on what? He hasn't played in two months.

Edit: OK, I see now. The SISA rankings only come out on New Year's day. OK, that makes sense then.

Last edited by Maple Leafs : 05-30-2006 at 11:16 AM.
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 11:24 AM   #206
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Hey, at least it comes out tomorrow, so they will have 24 hours or so to fix all these bugs.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 11:26 AM   #207
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

I sense that I will be working on skins for the first couple of months.
Old 05-30-2006, 11:27 AM   #208
astrosfan64
College Prospect

Quote:
http://reports.ootpbaseball2006.com/...layer_349.html

This guy is another stud pitcher. He lead the league in ERA six years in a row through 2011 and racks up big K's. But while Dalina (the guy in the example above) was signed a four-year, $26M deal as a free agent, this guy keeps signing low dollar extensions. In fact, he signs the exact same three-year contract extension worth $2,760,000 on three separate occasions.

So even though he's arguably the best pitcher in baseball, he's willing to play for under $1M a season while Dalina gets $6.5M. I understand that you want to factor in loyalty, but this guy needs a new agent.

Edit: Compate him to this guy (http://reports.ootpbaseball2006.com/...player_37.html) who signs extensions for $59M and $37M during his career.)

I hate this message board. It makes me hate games before I even get them. Normally, I would blow this off, but these facts are hard to ignore. Just 40 posts ago, I was being a fanboy, now I'm afraid to purchase.
astrosfan64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 11:28 AM   #209
John Galt
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew
Hey, at least it comes out tomorrow, so they will have 24 hours or so to fix all these bugs.

I know this is funny, but it just makes me sad. I really wish Jim would work on a game for his favorite sport. Although it seems like there is a lot of competition, none of the baseball games are that great. I think FOF is rough around the edges, but at least it doesn't have the glaring holes of these baseball games. Puresim would be alright I think if the engine worked at a reasonable speed (but I don't really know because I don't play long enough because the engine is so slow). OOTP seems to have made no progress in certain areas despite numerous iterations of the franchise. That leaves little hope for the future. I actually like Baseball Mogul more than most, but it clearly has severe limitations (although it does somethings VERY well). Frankly, the state of baseball sim games is just depressing to me. Oh well.
Old 05-30-2006, 11:33 AM   #210
TroyF
Coordinator

Yep, simple insanity.

This is going to be useless for solo play in this condition.

Barring a miracle, PureSim will walk away with this round of baseball games going away.

Can someone make PureSim have those reports?
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 11:36 AM   #211
John Galt
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF
This is going to be useless for solo play in this condition.

I should add to my previous post that I'm a solo-only player, so while I'm sure OOTP does many things well in the multi-player world, those don't do anything for me. So, my comments were directed at solo play.
Old 05-30-2006, 11:41 AM   #212
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt
I should add to my previous post that I'm a solo-only player, so while I'm sure OOTP does many things well in the multi-player world, those don't do anything for me. So, my comments were directed at solo play.

Y'know, given our many differences, it's kinda funny but I think our gaming interests/likes/wants might actually be pretty similar.

If you announce at some point that you've shifted more & more toward dice-and-chart/tabletop games, I'll really start to worry
Old 05-30-2006, 11:43 AM   #213
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrosfan64
I hate this message board. It makes me hate games before I even get them. Normally, I would blow this off, but these facts are hard to ignore.

Don't blame us if so many "Emperors" seem to prefer walking around buck naked
Old 05-30-2006, 11:45 AM   #214
John Galt
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
Y'know, given our many differences, it's kinda funny but I think our gaming interests/likes/wants might actually be pretty similar.

If you announce at some point that you've shifted more & more toward dice-and-chart/tabletop games, I'll really start to worry

Don't worry about that last part. I just don't have much time for many games in my life. I like the diversion they provide, but don't have much time to play them. As a result, I need a game that allows me to play in spurts over a period of time. Well designed sports sims can fit in that niche nicely for me. The same can't be said for dice and table games. Since I'm moving back to NYC soon, I will probably have even less to time to goof off, so all of my griping about the state of baseball sims is all for naught. But I still wish I had a game to play that really absorbed me with its realism for the times when I can play.
Old 05-30-2006, 11:51 AM   #215
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:

Through 2011, this guy had been a standout pitcher for Colorado, one of the best in the league.

Then...

11-26-2011 Signed a 4-year contract worth a total of $25,360,000 with the Philadelphia Moguls organization.
01-01-2012 SISA scouting updated ratings (potential): Stuff: 8 (8); Movement: 13 (14); Control: 11 (11).
01-14-2012 Was traded by the Philadelphia Moguls to the Wichita Dazzle, along with $3,000,000, in exchange for CF J. Severance, SP D. Ridings.

Now that's not necessarily a bug, but it does seem unrealistic to have a guy sign a big money FA contract, then get traded before ever suiting up for his new team. Have you ever seen that in real-life MLB with an elite player? My guess is that the talent drop had something to do with it, although why is a guy taking a talent hit on new year's day?

For me, this isn't much of an issue if it's a relatively rare event. I can see several reasons for something like this happening due to unexpected retirements/injuries/missing out on a free agent you thought you'd get/etc. There are a lot of reasons I could see someone making a deal for a recently signed free agent if they're in a bind. But the other pitcher you mentioned who kept signing the 3 year deals for less than a million a year and was a pretty solid pitcher is a much bigger issue for me. Not only does it make no sense, but it can screw up the financial balance of the game.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 11:58 AM   #216
MrBug708
Head Coach

Can we still get married and have kids in this game?
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 12:03 PM   #217
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Funny thing is, as of yesteday nobody was discussing these issues over at the OOTP forums.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 12:05 PM   #218
SunDevil
College Prospect

Quote:
I sense that I will be working on skins for the first couple of months.

Hey, there is another game where your artistic talent is needed.

http://www.maximum-football.com/

SunDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 12:05 PM   #219
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDevil
Hey, there is another game where your artistic talent is needed.

http://www.maximum-football.com/

lol
Old 05-30-2006, 12:07 PM   #220
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
Funny thing is, as of yesteday nobody was discussing these issues over at the OOTP forums.

That's cause they are mostly all a bunch of monkeys.

Last edited by stevew : 05-30-2006 at 12:09 PM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 12:13 PM   #221
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah

That's not funny, it's just sad.

What's even sadder is that the villification of those who dare to mention them is as inevitable as night following day.

Note FTR: to their credit, the criticism of those who point out issues will not come from SI. It'll be OOTP fanboys who get bent, but if their overall history is a predictor, most of the SI folks will handle it pretty well.
Old 05-30-2006, 12:17 PM   #222
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:

Then...

Wow sounds like the RWBL...
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 12:20 PM   #223
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee
For me, this isn't much of an issue if it's a relatively rare event.
Maybe not...

http://reports.ootpbaseball2006.com/...player_37.html
11-16-2015 Signed a 3-year contract worth a total of $17,460,000 with the Phoenix Terriers organization.
01-01-2016 SISA scouting updated ratings (potential): Contact: 15 (15); Power: 13 (13); Eye: 9 (9).
01-05-2016 Was traded by the Phoenix Terriers to the Colorado Springs Worms, along with $3,000,000, in exchange for MR L. Simenz, SP G. Rawlinson.

http://reports.ootpbaseball2006.com/...ayer_2321.html
11-17-2015 Signed a 4-year contract worth a total of $17,240,000 with the Colorado Springs Worms organization.
12-27-2015 Was traded by the Colorado Springs Worms to the Scottsdale Hunters, along with SP J. Chamarro, in exchange for MR E. Dormer.

Completely unrelated, but I love this guy's name:
http://reports.ootpbaseball2006.com/...ayer_5479.html
Old 05-30-2006, 12:21 PM   #224
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Completely unrelated, but I love this guy's name:
http://reports.ootpbaseball2006.com/...ayer_5479.html
Born in Toronto. Too bad he didn't take up hockey.
Old 05-30-2006, 12:24 PM   #225
Bee
Pro Starter

Hey a Fritz sighting!
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 12:31 PM   #226
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
That's not funny, it's just sad.

What's even sadder is that the villification of those who dare to mention them is as inevitable as night following day.

Note FTR: to their credit, the criticism of those who point out issues will not come from SI. It'll be OOTP fanboys who get bent, but if their overall history is a predictor, most of the SI folks will handle it pretty well.

Imagine if you pre-ordered it, you'll get a special email with an early link to the download!

Oh well... I guess we'll read some impressions here soon enough. Definitly disappointing, I do like some of what I've read and seen.

Last edited by MizzouRah : 05-30-2006 at 12:31 PM.
Old 05-30-2006, 12:31 PM   #227
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthousekeeper
Don't know, but this guy:
http://reports.ootpbaseball2006.com/...ayer_6270.html

led the league in 2012 with a GB% of 1.00.

Fortunately, the league doesn't have a minimum innings pitched to win this award, so he won it while only pitching 1 inning.

I think he's listing GB/FB ratio instead of GB%. He should update the header.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 12:34 PM   #228
Johnny Slick
Mascot

Quote:
So none of what has just been posted even concerns you a little? I mean, career HR leaders released with 27 million left on their contract? Guys getting released and resigned on the same day.

I mean, that doesn't even make you take a step back and worry?
Of course it does. However, we don't live in a black and white "no worries" vs. "I refuse to buy it" world. I am worried but confident that the game will get fixed.
Johnny Slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 12:40 PM   #229
Johnny Slick
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrosfan64
I hate this message board. It makes me hate games before I even get them. Normally, I would blow this off, but these facts are hard to ignore. Just 40 posts ago, I was being a fanboy, now I'm afraid to purchase.
Just get both PS and OOTP and press each to get the features and so on that the others have. The bad contracts and trades don't bother me quite as much because I like to do the "God Mode" thing (and the apparent increase of injuries to normal levels is going to be a boon), but I understand your point. A lot of folks may want to hold off getting the game at least until the 6/7 patch.
Old 05-30-2006, 12:42 PM   #230
Johnny Slick
Mascot

trola,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee
For me, this isn't much of an issue if it's a relatively rare event. I can see several reasons for something like this happening due to unexpected retirements/injuries/missing out on a free agent you thought you'd get/etc. There are a lot of reasons I could see someone making a deal for a recently signed free agent if they're in a bind. But the other pitcher you mentioned who kept signing the 3 year deals for less than a million a year and was a pretty solid pitcher is a much bigger issue for me. Not only does it make no sense, but it can screw up the financial balance of the game.
Isn't there a rule in real-life baseball that says that once you sign a free agent, you can't trade him for 365 days? That would fix this issue pretty quickly (although based on my experience with 6.5, the AI would just release the guy instead).
Old 05-30-2006, 12:44 PM   #231
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Slick
trola,Isn't there a rule in real-life baseball that says that once you sign a free agent, you can't trade him for 365 days? That would fix this issue pretty quickly (although based on my experience with 6.5, the AI would just release the guy instead).

You know, I thought the same thing but I couldn't find any official reference to this rule. I could find the "you can't trade a player that was just drafted for a year", but not a free agent.
how do you know?

Old 05-30-2006, 12:45 PM   #232
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
trola,Isn't there a rule in real-life baseball that says that once you sign a free agent, you can't trade him for 365 days? That would fix this issue pretty quickly (although based on my experience with 6.5, the AI would just release the guy instead).
I don't think there is, because there have been FAs who've been dealt during the season. There have even been some rare cases where a low-level guy was dealt before spring training. But never a case of a major FA signing being dealt right away. Think about it, if a team signed a guy to a mega-deal and then traded him the next week, they'd never be able to sign another big name player again.
Old 05-30-2006, 12:50 PM   #233
MrBug708
Head Coach

Sign and Trades just arent as popular in MLB
Old 05-30-2006, 01:06 PM   #234
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Of course it does. However, we don't live in a black and white "no worries" vs. "I refuse to buy it" world. I am worried but confident that the game will get fixed.

Not a single one of these issues is "new"

What makes you think it'll get fixed in a patch?
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 01:10 PM   #235
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

That's what I was going to ask.

I can see where there might be some desire to think "yeah, but this is SI, it'll be different".

But I don't believe that's applicable in this instance since the primary programmer/developer/designer/whateverthecorrectwordis is the same as its always been.
Old 05-30-2006, 01:10 PM   #236
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

My thoughts exactly. You have to be kidding that you think the first patch will fix issues that have been going on for many versions now?
Old 05-30-2006, 01:13 PM   #237
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708
Can we still get married and have kids in this game?

I think this issue is more important!
Old 05-30-2006, 01:19 PM   #238
Johnny Slick
Mascot

Quote:
Sign and Trades just arent as popular in MLB
There's no reason to do a sign and trade without a salary cap.

Like I said, the waiver stuff concerns me a bit. It doesn't really bother me because I, like I said, control all the teams anyway. But I can certainly see how it'll bother others. The reason why I think these bugs have a better chance to get worked out is that Markus and co. can't blame things on the creaky engine anymore. Again, if you're worried right now, I'd wait at least a patch or two. And consider that it's a $35 game. I know, that's no excuse for it to have problems, but honestly I've gotten my 30 bucks worth from Puresim already and that was before Shaun fixed the closer issue.
Old 05-30-2006, 01:20 PM   #239
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

It's $35 dollars if you pre-order it.
Old 05-30-2006, 01:21 PM   #240
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Dola-

Which reminds me of one of the better things I read at the OOTP boards. Something along the lines of, "If you are upset about the price of OOTP, then you should have pre-ordered it!"
Old 05-30-2006, 01:24 PM   #241
Johnny Slick
Mascot

That was just a Euro gloating that he didn't have to pay 34.99 EU for the game because he pre-ordered it before SI set the "overseas" price.

Personally, I don't understand the whining about the price at all for any of these kinds of games, whether you're talking about FOF, PS, OOTP, or BM. They're all way underpriced IMO. You want an overpriced game? The people at Cactus League Developments would love to speak with you.
Old 05-30-2006, 01:25 PM   #242
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:
It's $35 dollars if you pre-order it.

Will it be more if you don't?
how do you know?

Old 05-30-2006, 01:25 PM   #243
korme
Go Reds

How many licenses will we get? I'm home for a few days and wouldn't mind having it on my desktop, but I also want it when I'm at school 95% of the time on my laptop.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 01:29 PM   #244
Johnny Slick
Mascot

dola,
Quote:
I think this issue is more important!
Let's face it: just about every game has its own bits of stupid. Baseball Mogul has hot dog pricing inextricably linked to the game even though they haven't had that for a couple years now. Strat-o-Matic one year trotted out "The Regulator" for their computer version, an arcade-type deal that would make the game generate a result from the best available column if you timed your swing correctly. Front Page Sports had, well, the fact that they didn't actually come out with an actual new football game after 1994. Puresim has to date avoided the really goofy or game-stopping stuff, but it's still relatively young (and to me, anyway, it's always going to be linked to a moron on the OOTP boards headlining poor reviews of PS with "Great news!!!!").

I am not defending manager mode except to say that it probably looked unstupid at the time.
Old 05-30-2006, 01:29 PM   #245
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca
Will it be more if you don't?

Errr, that's a good question. I guess I just assumed that there was an actual reason to pre-ordering the game.
Old 05-30-2006, 01:29 PM   #246
Johnny Slick
Mascot

true dola,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty3281
How many licenses will we get? I'm home for a few days and wouldn't mind having it on my desktop, but I also want it when I'm at school 95% of the time on my laptop.
2. I'm gonna put it on my laptop too.
Old 05-30-2006, 01:30 PM   #247
Johnny Slick
Mascot

doubleplus true dola,
Quote:
Errr, that's a good question. I guess I just assumed that there was an actual reason to pre-ordering the game.
There is! You get the game 6-8 whole hours before everybody else!!!! Also, if you pre-ordered a long time ago you would have gotten a discount.
Old 05-30-2006, 01:32 PM   #248
MrBug708
Head Coach

Nah, I kinda liked having my kids in baseball...
Old 05-30-2006, 01:32 PM   #249
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Well, I'm an idiot then. Probably will be 35 dollars then.
Old 05-30-2006, 02:24 PM   #250
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:

yep. Good Point.

If they where brand new AI bugs, I will feel a lot better.

They the same old AI bugs from previous versions of ootp.
Its really sad there still there for the new engine of ootp 2006.
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote