Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-14-2005, 07:09 AM   #201
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

That's my favorite Stones song, too, that and Angie. I'm not into honky-tonkin' blues rock. Never been much of a Stones fan...I've never owned a single record.

That said, you're right about his performance. He may be the ringer, but I'll still be surprised if he wins. In fact, if he does win, I think that means he definitely was the ringer, in that he was pre-chosen not just to be guaranteed a spot in the top 15 but to win, because he's shown himself as a singer who isn't right for this band.

However, if the voting is on the up-and-up, it does say something that he's never been in the bottom three. Of course, that might have more to do with a rabid Australian following and a concerted effort to keep the band all-Australian then anything having to do with his ability.

I think JD is the only choice at this point. Regardless of his personality, he is the best fit as both a lead singer and their lead singer. And he's given them a lead single that the audience has already been force-fed 3 or 4 times before it even gets to radio. In fact, in this day and age, his personality is probably a plus for him. The only question for the band is whether they can control him, but I think the fact that he's Jack Nobody and they're the unquestioned leaders of the band, should take care of that issue. That and some choice contractual provisions. It wouldn't shock me, if this joint venture is somehow successful, for him to get big-headed and desert the band at some point, but again, I'm sure the contract will have something to say about that possibility.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 08:47 AM   #202
Raven Hawk
College Starter

I hope MiG is the next to go. He's got rock-star looks, but he's a show-tunes guy at heart. JD did give the best performance this week. I thought that Suzie's performance was weaker than it has been in the past. Marty gave a really strong performance as well. It would have been better if he didn't do his original, "Trees," as an accoustic set, though. I really think that JD and Marty are the ones to beat at this point. Even on the VH1 portion on Sunday, INXS said that they thought that these two handled the questions the best. The interesting thing is that Suzie and MiG are superior singers, but they just don't have the personality.

My guess for tonight's show: JD, Marty, Suzie, MiG in that order, most votes to least votes.
Old 09-14-2005, 08:55 AM   #203
Ksyrup

I thought Marty's performance of Creep was pretty good, up until the end, where he started screaming and howling out of key. That was awful.

Shows you the power of repetition to make something a hit, though. That damn Trees song has been stuck in my head all morning, and while I like it OK, I'm fairly certain it's only because I've heard it half a dozen times on this show that it's stuck in my head.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 09-14-2005, 09:04 AM   #204
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

At this point I think it has to be JD as well, barring Mig being a ringer of course. But I got the impression they were not enthused by Paint it Black either. Musicals are the perfect venue for Mig. The only thing holding them from picking JD would be the attitude, whether they want to deal with someone like that at their age. But then, I'm sure Hutchins wasn't the easiest person to deal with either and they managed.

Marty just doesn't have the vocal abilities for this type of band and Suzie would be just too radical a change for them to handle most likely, both musically and personality wise. My guess is Marty leaves tonight just so they can keep a female on for the finale.
Old 09-14-2005, 02:33 PM   #205
dunkem
Mascot

Yeah, I think all of these guys are great singers, but only JD has the right voice for the band although he does act and say what you want him rather than how he really feels as some of the INXS member pointed out.

Seems like MIG is letting nerves get to him like Jordis and he's not putting that energy in. His higher theatrical voice doesn't quite match with INXS stuff, and I guess we'll find out when he's in the bottom three tonight.

Marty, good performer, catchy but corny song, but just not an INXS voice. I can't see Trees as the new INXS hit single, but I can definitely see it as Marty's hit on his own.

Suzie was just alright last night, and similarly doesn't match the INXS sound. Seems like she tries too hard to "rock out" and would be better suited as a Sheryl Crow type rather than a member of a "rock band".

Hilarious when everyone tried to include Navarro in their performances all the time trying to suck up to em by rubbing on him while he's playing. And dang.... that little smooch from JD... I dunno what he was thinking.
dunkem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 03:08 PM   #206
Hurst2112
College Starter

I don't hope Mig goes. I got 1000 dollars riding on him @ 3:1!

Hurst2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 05:18 PM   #207
Joe
Pro Starter

Regarding the ringer/conspiracy talk, here is what Dave posted on his blog a few days ago, its pretty interesting. I dont know if anyone here has read or posted it already, but here goes.

Quote:
I have always been a fan of conspiracies and the unexplained. Kennedy, Area 51, Scientology, Loch Ness, U.F.O.s… Rockstar: INXS? I never thought in a million years I would be at the center of such a controversy! As you know, I usually don’t defend myself all that much here, but now that there are accusations being thrown at my friends and co-workers, I am happy to respond. Theory #1: Mig Ayesa is a ringer and he was added much later in order to win the competition. I can tell you for a fact that Mig has been in the competition from the start. True, there were 14 singers at the start of the show, but the 15th that was added late in the game was a female. Theory #2: The voting is rigged. Now why would anyone do that? After all, this decision comes down to INXS and they can send home or save whomever they want at any time. The voting is to see how the public is feeling in order to help make that choice, but in the end, the band can always over ride something they don’t agree with. Rigging the voting just makes no sense. Theory #3: The show isn’t live. Well, nobody has ever said that it was. In fact, every week I post about how I’m going to a taping on this Sunday or that Wednesday. Theory #4: My comments aren’t accurate. Hey, I call it like I see it. Rock is very subjective. What works for me may not work for others. How long do you think Lou Reed would last in this thing? Not long but he is one of my favorite singers. Bottom line? I’m not in INXS so what do I have to gain by lying about what I am seeing and hearing? Theory #5: Too hard on J.D. Well, I’ll say, when he is a jerk, I hammer him, when he does well, I am fully supportive. Nobody else gets hammered because they don’t exhibit the behavior to warrant it.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 05:28 PM   #208
Joe
Pro Starter

I was also reading an interview that Kirk Pengilly did, and heres what he said about the show. This was back in January, so I don't know if things have changed, but...

Quote:
But we are not trying to replace Michael, we just want a new singer, because he's no longer our singer, and he's absolutely irreplaceable. One of our criteria, or briefs to the casting agents and all the people involved with doing all the editions is "what we don't want is another Michael Hutchence", because you cannot replace Michael. We want someone that is different. Personally, I hope it's a female, because then there are not the comparisons with Michael.

So I'm not sure if JD is the obvious choice if this is how they still feel. The past few weeks, its been pretty obvious (to me, at least) that JD has really been trying to emulate Hutch in his performances. So if thats NOT what the band is looking for, I doubt he'll win. But maybe Kirk really wants Suzie to win based on those comments.
Old 09-14-2005, 08:40 PM   #209
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven Hawk
I hope MiG is the next to go. He's got rock-star looks, but he's a show-tunes guy at heart. JD did give the best performance this week. I thought that Suzie's performance was weaker than it has been in the past. Marty gave a really strong performance as well. It would have been better if he didn't do his original, "Trees," as an accoustic set, though. I really think that JD and Marty are the ones to beat at this point. Even on the VH1 portion on Sunday, INXS said that they thought that these two handled the questions the best. The interesting thing is that Suzie and MiG are superior singers, but they just don't have the personality.

My guess for tonight's show: JD, Marty, Suzie, MiG in that order, most votes to least votes.

MIG will win it all. it has been determine.
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 08:59 PM   #210
Joe
Pro Starter

damn suzie got eliminated. wish it was JD, but it was fun to see him squirm a little bit.
Old 09-14-2005, 09:01 PM   #211
SegRat
High School Varsity

If mig wins this thing I wont listen to inxs. Marty and JD are much better IMO. JD is probably best for INXS. I think Marty will end up in a bigger band. Mig needs to go.
Old 09-14-2005, 09:03 PM   #212
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by George W Bush
damn suzie got eliminated. wish it was JD, but it was fun to see him squirm a little bit.

You know what would be really nice? If they could just pick a friggn' time slot and stick to it!! (I was getting ready to turn it on...oh well).
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 09:04 PM   #213
Mac Howard
Sick as a Parrot

JD moved into pole position for me also last night. For sure he'll make the last three as the others all produced performances with something lacking. If INXS can put up with JD's antics then, a collapse in the final not withstanding, then they could well go for him.

I think Mig is going to go next. He just doesn't have the growl for a rock singer and his moves still seem choreographed. I doubt it's the Australians that keep him out of the bottom three - the show's only on cable/sat tv here and they're not nearly as popular as in the US. I doubt there are 50,000 people watching the show here. I think he's picking up the teenage female audience vote. If he wins this then I'll go along with the 'ringer' argument

Suzie really screwed up in the interview when she froze. She's never struck me as the most intelligent or confident of the contestants and I think they may be right about problems with press conferances as well as an inability to really take control of the audience on stage. I think they and the program producers will want her in the last three though.

Marty? Great image, pity about the misalignment in the rock spectrum. Hard right against INXS's soft left. He may well also be a little too controlling, too confrontational on what the band needs to do.

Another good week though. Really enjoyed it. Will miss it when it goes.

Last edited by Mac Howard : 09-14-2005 at 09:06 PM.
Mac Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 09:12 PM   #214
Joe
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai
You know what would be really nice? If they could just pick a friggn' time slot and stick to it!! (I was getting ready to turn it on...oh well).

its been on at 9 est on wednesdays for a while, the tuesdays show is the later one
Old 09-14-2005, 09:16 PM   #215
Joe
Pro Starter

I think Mig really performed the INXS song tonight well. He could very well be picked. I don't know if hes a good songwriter or not, but the band isnt looking for that for the first album anyway, as they have all of the songs written already and just need someone to sing. They are planning to get it out as soon as possible after the show ends. I mean, of course they are, they've probably been just writing songs for the past 8 years, what the hell else have they been doing?
Old 09-14-2005, 09:33 PM   #216
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

I was rooting for Mig getting Devil Inside, I think that would have been a much better test of his ability. The song he got was right up his alley and he nailed it.
Old 09-14-2005, 09:38 PM   #217
Ksyrup

I thought Mig overdid it quite a bit. He sounded very good, but his performance was bordering on ridiculous, combining the sex strut, ripped shirt, jumping around, etc., all in less than 3 minutes. I just thought that was way over the top. JD sounded great as well, though, I thought.

I still think Marty's being kept around because he's Sony's non-INXS signee, and they're giving him as much exposure as possible, including playing that Trees song over and over. Between that and Pretty Vegas, I'm leaning toward JD getting the nod for INXS. Both have been given multiple opportunities to perform a ready-made single several times for the target audience. Doesn't get packaged much neater than that.
Old 09-14-2005, 09:51 PM   #218
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
its been on at 9 est on wednesdays for a while, the tuesdays show is the later one

Yeah, and every week I usually end up missing one or the other because they change the time slot from Tuesday to Wednesday.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 09:54 PM   #219
Ksyrup

That's why at 8pm every night, I set DirecTV to automatically change channels to whatever I want to watch for the entire night, so I don't miss anything. For this show, I just remember 8, 10, 9. Sunday, Tuesday, Wednesday.
Old 09-14-2005, 10:41 PM   #220
HomerJSimpson
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
I thought Mig overdid it quite a bit. He sounded very good, but his performance was bordering on ridiculous, combining the sex strut, ripped shirt, jumping around, etc., all in less than 3 minutes. I just thought that was way over the top. JD sounded great as well, though, I thought.

I still think Marty's being kept around because he's Sony's non-INXS signee, and they're giving him as much exposure as possible, including playing that Trees song over and over. Between that and Pretty Vegas, I'm leaning toward JD getting the nod for INXS. Both have been given multiple opportunities to perform a ready-made single several times for the target audience. Doesn't get packaged much neater than that.

With ya, but I still think they'd been better off with Suzie.

Homer: Who-hoo! Four day weekend!!
HomerJSimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 10:50 PM   #221
jander
n00b

I still think there may be something funny going on...if you really think about how the "Pretty Vegas" song sounds totally like an INXS song music-wise. Does JD even play instruments? I have not seen it (but didn't follow from the beginning, if not...how did HE write that song?). Remember how evryone was pissed at JD that week when all the singers got some studio time with INXS and the complaining about JD being in there soooo long? Hmmm....who knows, but just something to think about.

I like Marty the best, but I hope he doesn't win. I think he would be better on his own, with his own style than INXS style. Mig, I don't know he is good I guess, but againjust don't know if I see him fronting INXS. The best fit is JD, even though his attitude sucks.
jander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 11:04 PM   #222
Mac Howard
Sick as a Parrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jander
.if you really think about how the "Pretty Vegas" song sounds totally like an INXS song music-wise.

Isn't it the song JD wrote to the track INXS had laid down a couple of weeks back when the group selected Jordis' song?

Last edited by Mac Howard : 09-14-2005 at 11:07 PM.
Mac Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 06:57 AM   #223
Ksyrup

The music for Pretty Vegas was the track INXS gave those two groups to write a melody and lyrics to, and then perform. Ty's group did that, to quote Navarro, "Electric Company sounding" song Stop Go, and JD's group - minus JD, did a song I don't even remember, which JD refused to join in on. He wrote the Pretty Vegas melody and lyrics by himself, then upstaged everyone else and got to perform it solo. 700 times now, by my count.

I haven't followed up on this and don't know INXS' back catalog well enough to comment, but I recall Marty making a comment about how he didn't like what JD was doing with that song during the writing session because it sounded too much like an old INXS song, and he started singing another song with virtually the same melody. Anyone know what song that was? At this point, it probably doesn't matter, because half of INXS fans who would remember that song are probably in rocking chairs by now, but I've been wondering if that melody is really all that original to begin with.
Old 09-15-2005, 09:40 AM   #224
Raven Hawk
College Starter

The song the Jordis and Marty wrote to the INXS track was "Try Not" which was later rearranged by the house band (and Jordis) before Jordis sang it ala Fiona Apple a couple weeks ago. "Pretty Vegas" was written to the same track by JD. In the last "House" episode, there was a clip of JD opening his songs that he had to sing and noticing that "Pretty Vegas" was in there and it stated "Written by Andrew Farris and JD Fortune."

I think that they made a good call on Suzie last night. She just didn't have the PR skills that the rest have. Suzie will do well in her own arena and eventually, she will pick up those PR skills.

I hate the idea that Jordis and Suzie (or any of the remaining contestants) go solo. Rock is so much more of a 'group' thing to me than Pop is. I hope that each of them can hook up with good groups who can magnify their talent. I think that JD is the only one who could effectively maintain a solo career out of the top 5. I really don't think that MiG is a rockstar. MiG needs to go back to Broadway.
Old 09-15-2005, 11:48 AM   #225
Hurst2112
College Starter

I am still scratchin my head on this whole Marty thing. I picked him to be gone weeks ago.

He is very pitchy in his singing. His song was campy, he's pretty pensive, and he looks like a girl.

Honestly, his vocals aren't that strong. He can't sing low with power. He screams in his half-octave range that he has. He strains too hard. He's not that good for a band like INXS. Maybe if Candlebox was looking for a new singer.
Hurst2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 12:08 PM   #226
Ksyrup

My theory on Marty is that Sony sees him as a possible marketable commodity and kept him on the show to develop him and try to build an audience for him through the show. I think having him play Trees 6 million times plays right into that. I don't INXS has ever thought he would fit their band.
Old 09-15-2005, 12:23 PM   #227
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

Marty reminds me of the 2005 version of Richard Marx for some reason. Completely different singing styles, don't look alike. But everytime I see him I just want to cockpunch him. Just looking at Marty annoys the shit out of me.
Old 09-15-2005, 01:02 PM   #228
Ksyrup

My wife, who listens to 80's rock and 2000s pop, doesn't get him AT ALL. I try to explain to her that he's a modern rock vocalist, but she just can't understand how anyone could like him - "he can't sing, he's ugly, and he screams." To which I point out that's why in rock/metal, they're called "vocalists," not "singers." There's a distinction that matters, and Marty is the perfect example.
Old 09-15-2005, 09:40 PM   #229
Mac Howard
Sick as a Parrot

I was sorry to see Suzie go but Mig did do a worthwhile take in his playoff song. But he still looks to me like someone who could don a yellow teeshirt and become one of The Wiggles

Another conspiracy theory: we now have a final between an American, an Australian and a Canadian. Are they manipulating results for maximum world appeal?
Old 09-16-2005, 06:31 AM   #230
HomerJSimpson
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Howard
I was sorry to see Suzie go but Mig did do a worthwhile take in his playoff song. But he still looks to me like someone who could don a yellow teeshirt and become one of The Wiggles

Another conspiracy theory: we now have a final between an American, an Australian and a Canadian. Are they manipulating results for maximum world appeal?

I just don't see how Mig did a good job with that song. Too me it sounded like a Broadway version of the song, and his performance looked like a male stripper. As a matter of fact, just about all of his performance to emphasize his chest, not his singing ability. I guess if Suzie had gotten up there and took of her shirt, she'd still be in the competetion.

Old 09-17-2005, 11:11 PM   #231
Mac Howard
Sick as a Parrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerJSimpson
I just don't see how Mig did a good job with that song. Too me it sounded like a Broadway version of the song, and his performance looked like a male stripper.

Yes. The problem with Mig is that you can't take him seriously as a rock singer. His voice is too thin and his moves on stage too contrived. He's at the other end of the rock spectrum to Marty. JD is probably the best match to the band but, oh dear, could he be trouble for them on a personal level

Interesting how it now seems that there isn't a suitable fit despite the overall quality of the contestants. I must admit I've developed a considerable respect for a lead singer that I didn't have before this series.
Old 09-17-2005, 11:20 PM   #232
Joe
Pro Starter

have they said what the final show will be like? is each contestant going to sing with inxs or what? cause I think that would be pretty cool. and at this point, I think they should pick JD as well. Marty doesn't fit well with them and he clearly doesn't have the vocal range to sing their back catalogue, which could be a problem with touring being the main priority since their album is due out in late november. I kinda like Mig, but he's a bit over the top, though I like his stage presence. JD fits well but he's a prick. Most lead singers with his kinda attitude get put up with because their talent carries the band, but that clearly isnt the case here so it will be interesting.
Old 09-19-2005, 07:13 AM   #233
Ksyrup

The writing sessions last night were pretty cool. I could have watched those unedited. Once again, JD worried them with his lack of preparation, but wowed them with his pure talent, just like he's done all season.
Old 09-19-2005, 07:23 AM   #234
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

ARG! I hate that they moved the first show to VH1, that means we don't get that one up North...

FM
Old 09-19-2005, 05:50 PM   #235
Joe
Pro Starter

yeah, those songs they were writing with Andrew looked like they were coming along pretty well (except Migs sounded like it will suck).

And for anyone who didnt get to see it, they all got to choose a song to sing from the selection of all songs that have been done this season. Marty chose "Wish You Were Here", JD chose "You Cant Always Get What You Want" and Mig chose "Bohemian Rhapsody". Yeah, Mig wanted to get away from doing Queen stuff that he did in the musical, so hes doing that song. And Suzy killed that song earlier, so its not a wise choice. But ok.
Old 09-20-2005, 08:03 PM   #236
Joe
Pro Starter

anyone post about this yet? MiG was on the fucking Wiggles:

http://entertainment.news.com.au/sto...-10229,00.html
Old 09-20-2005, 08:10 PM   #237
SegRat
High School Varsity

Another reason to hate him.

It has to be JD tonight.
Old 09-20-2005, 09:39 PM   #238
HomerJSimpson
College Benchwarmer

MIG IS GONE!!! WHO-HOO!!! I feel like my team just won the Super Bowl. Well..not quite that good, but pretty darn good.

Old 09-20-2005, 09:42 PM   #239
jbmagic
Pro Starter

i tought Mig was suppose to win it all.
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 09:42 PM   #240
HomerJSimpson
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic
i tought Mig was suppose to win it all.

Mig wasn't rigged.

Old 09-20-2005, 09:47 PM   #241
HomerJSimpson
College Benchwarmer

I know this is the Marty Bashing 101 club, but Marty did a much better job with his song IMHO. They may pick JD, but it will not be on that performance (and the sad thing is that JD had the much better/easier song).

Last edited by HomerJSimpson : 09-20-2005 at 09:47 PM.
Old 09-20-2005, 09:47 PM   #242
Joe
Pro Starter

JD couldnt even get through that song without getting some water between verses? weak.
Old 09-20-2005, 09:48 PM   #243
Joe
Pro Starter

i agree marty did better than JD..
Old 09-20-2005, 09:53 PM   #244
HomerJSimpson
College Benchwarmer

Well, it is JD. It wasn't from tonight, though. He was the over-all best fit.

Old 09-20-2005, 09:58 PM   #245
Joe
Pro Starter

so theres gonna be another season? i wonder which band, or if it will be AI like.
Old 09-20-2005, 09:59 PM   #246
HomerJSimpson
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
so theres gonna be another season? i wonder which band, or if it will be AI like.

Rock Star: Van Halen

Old 09-20-2005, 10:11 PM   #247
Ksyrup

JD was clearly the guy to replace Hutchence; in a way, they wimped out, but picking a modern rock singer would have forced them to change the way they write, and they're too old for that. JD was the only choice, and in fact, once they dumped Mig, it was even clearer who they'd pick. Marty just didn't sound right singing their songs, and that's what it comes down to. You can't have Mr. Intensity/Robot Man (that dance he does)/Fake British Accent singing INXS songs.
Old 09-20-2005, 10:16 PM   #248
Joe
Pro Starter

I like the robot man
Old 09-20-2005, 10:18 PM   #249
Ksyrup

I'm not saying I don't like him, but he's just not right for our band, INXS.
Old 09-20-2005, 10:25 PM   #250
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

I realized it had to be JD when he was singing What You Need. I tried hard to picture Marty singing that and there is just no way I could see him pulling it off.