Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-06-2015, 02:30 PM   #201
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
DGB leaves Oklahoma as the greatest scout team player in team history.

Sooners' Dorial Green-Beckham opts to take talents into 2015 NFL Draft - National College Sports | Examiner.com
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 09:15 PM   #202
miked
College Starter

I'm curious, is there a place that has statistics on star ratings? Like the percent of 5*, 4*, etc recruits that make the NFL or are drafted in the 1st round? Also, what about the performance of these players in college? I see that Melvin Gordon was 4* and Ameer Abdullah was 3* somewhere. Are there data points that show statistically the 5* recruits perform better than the 4* ones. I understand 5* recruits are probably going to get more opportunities, even if they don't perform well. I'm just looking for some data.
Old 01-06-2015, 09:20 PM   #203
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Here's a little bit on five star recruits.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...tball-recruits
Old 01-06-2015, 09:31 PM   #204
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Here's a one year look at what I think you're after.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-foot...tars-two-stars
Old 01-08-2015, 05:31 PM   #205
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Will Chuma stick with USC pr will Georgia flip him?

Chuma and the other EE's are all enrolled and on USC's campus now.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 01:03 AM   #206
MrBug708
Head Coach

I'd keep them away from the Dr's
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 11:55 AM   #207
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Kenny Hill is leaving A&M and transferring to TCU.
Old 01-09-2015, 12:32 PM   #208
MrBug708
Head Coach

Newsome or Strickland to Texas?
Old 01-09-2015, 12:40 PM   #209
cartman
Death Herald

I think Strickland is still a slight UCLA lean. In other Texas Tech news, walk-on QB Vincent Testaverde has announced he'll transfer to his dad's alma mater.
Old 01-09-2015, 01:30 PM   #210
tarcone
Coordinator

RB Markel Smith gets caught cheating on his ACT.
And the circus keeps on.

Iowa Hawkeyes Football, Basketball, and Recruiting Front Page

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 09:54 AM   #211
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Figured this was as good a place as any.

Pretty interesting stuff, IYAM

Confessions of a Fixer - Athletics - The Chronicle of Higher Education
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 01:47 PM   #212
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Saw that Jeremy Crabtree over at Rivals.com believes that an early signing period for football has overcome some significant hurdles and could happen sooner rather than later.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 02:55 PM   #213
MrBug708
Head Coach

There doesn't need to be an early signing period. A lot of kids can't visit until January. It's basically the cries of fans who lose kids to flips in December/January
Old 01-13-2015, 03:27 PM   #214
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

No there is a lot of movement towards an early signing period by HS coaches and athletes.

To your point about kids not being able to visit until Januray, the proposal is not an earlier signing period, but an alternate early signing period.

IOW Feb 1 remains NSD, however an option day, say Sep 1 where by if a kid wants to and a school will accept him he can committ and sign prior to his senior football season cutting off all contact from other coaches and allowing him to focus on his senior year.

I'd wager we will see it within the next 3 years
Old 01-13-2015, 06:41 PM   #215
MrBug708
Head Coach

I understand the positives of it. September 1st would be a terrible day. Not specifically that date, but how early that is. You'd have players signing and I'd saying a good portion of those would be asking out come January.

I'd imagine a Dec. 1st signing date would be more preferable than September 1st, but at that point, you are arguing over 2 months, not that big of a difference.

I know most people point to basketball's two signing periods, but it works much better because it's a "winter" sport, not a fall sport.

Personally, kids should never sign NLI's, they should just sign scholarship paperwork, but that's too simple of a solution.
Old 01-13-2015, 10:08 PM   #216
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Dec 1 serves no purpose.
Again high school coaches are pushing for this so kids can concentrate on their senior season.

Let me relay this example. Mickey Conn, coach at Grayson HS. Couple years ago when he had the "Grayson 5" headlined,of course,by Robert Nkemdiche he said he had as many as 18 college coaches come by in a given day. One day 18 coaches. 18 times a kid was pu!led out of class.

That's not an isolated incident. 18 is outrageous. 4-5 a day every day is pretty common.

I know kids (multiple) whose family have stopped mail delivery service . others who have canceled their cell service or had their pre paid monthly plans exhausted in hours.

Of course some kids enjoy the attention, they can wait until Feb.for the one as that want it over they can end it.

Also the notion that a "good portion" would want out I think is flawed. For numbers Clemson had18 kids committed on Sep 1. 15 of those are now enrolled as early enrollees.1 is waiting to enroll this summer to enjoy his senior year, the other 2 were cut loose by Clemson.

The calendar has moved up. The rules need to adapt.
Old 01-13-2015, 10:36 PM   #217
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I don't think it's as selfless as you say. Coaches want this so they can direct resources towards uncommitted players rather than have to babysit players until February.

I'd like this deal, coaches get the early signing day, but in exchange players get a guaranteed four years. I bet that will suddenly make the coaches far less concerned about the senior year distractions.
Old 01-13-2015, 10:44 PM   #218
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
I don't think it's as selfless as you say. Coaches want this so they can direct resources towards uncommitted players rather than have to babysit players until February.

I'd like this deal, coaches get the early signing day, but in exchange players get a guaranteed four years. I bet that will suddenly make the coaches far less concerned about the senior year distractions.

1 - Its the HS coaches I reference not the college coaches.
2 - I fully agree it should be a 4 year deal so long as the player does what he is supposed to
3 - I think an early signing should include langauge to allow a prospect out if coaching changes are made. I actually have a lot of thoughts here but not gonna type em all tonight.
Old 01-14-2015, 09:21 AM   #219
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Sorry about that. I completely missed the HS part.

It looks like we're on the same page for most things. What do you think about allowing players to transfer immediately to a non-power 5 conference after head coaching changes?
Old 01-14-2015, 01:06 PM   #220
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
. What do you think about allowing players to transfer immediately to a non-power 5 conference after head coaching changes?

At one point in time I would have been for it. Then I once heard an interesting conversation between Clemson's current HC and a big time prospect that totally changed my perspective there.
Rumors were swirling that this prospects position coach was entertaining offers to leave and take a promotion at another school. The recruit questioned it and the answer changed my mind and solidified what a salesman Dabo was at the same time. (FYI I'm no where near close enough to normally be this close, it was just a fate thing... I was in the football admin building catching up with an old friend in a hallway and the conversation happened around a corner.) His statement was this,

"Look I have the reassurance from Coach X that - that rumor is false. However if you committ to Clemson it needs to be because you want to be here. Look tomorrow isnt promised for any of us. And I'm not just talking about here and X. Dont committ to me either. I may not wake up tomorrow.Dont go to Bama because of Nick Saban(BTW kid had a Bama offer as well). No one knows when their last days on this earth are. Your decision needs to be the fiber of the institution that attracts you. The campus, the atmosphere, the location, those are all real tangible things. Think a step further. I am 45 years old, you are 19. In 40 years odds are Im going to be in a box in the ground. You are going to be 59 playing with grandkids and telling the stories about the Superbowls you won. (joking) You are not going to be telling those kids "I am a former player of Dabo's. You are going to be telling them 'I am a Clemson Tiger'. If that isnt your draw. Then you dont need to come here. You need to find wherever that place is for you. Because there is somewhere that is and always will be a second home. And when you find it, you wont care who is standing on the sidelines. Today, tomorrow or next year"

Sorry for the tangent. But that sums up my feelings. Every kid needs to hear that.

Last edited by CU Tiger : 01-14-2015 at 01:09 PM.
Old 01-14-2015, 01:13 PM   #221
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
At one point in time I would have been for it. Then I once heard an interesting conversation between Clemson's current HC and a big time prospect that totally changed my perspective there.
Rumors were swirling that this prospects position coach was entertaining offers to leave and take a promotion at another school. The recruit questioned it and the answer changed my mind and solidified what a salesman Dabo was at the same time. (FYI I'm no where near close enough to normally be this close, it was just a fate thing... I was in the football admin building catching up with an old friend in a hallway and the conversation happened around a corner.) His statement was this,

"Look I have the reassurance from Coach X that - that rumor is false. However if you committ to Clemson it needs to be because you want to be here. Look tomorrow isnt promised for any of us. And I'm not just talking about here and X. Dont committ to me either. I may not wake up tomorrow.Dont go to Bama because of Nick Saban(BTW kid had a Bama offer as well). No one knows when their last days on this earth are. Your decision needs to be the fiber of the institution that attracts you. The campus, the atmosphere, the location, those are all real tangible things. Think a step further. I am 45 years old, you are 19. In 40 years odds are Im going to be in a box in the ground. You are going to be 59 playing with grandkids and telling the stories about the Superbowls you won. (joking) You are not going to be telling those kids "I am a former player of Dabo's. You are going to be telling them 'I am a Clemson Tiger'. If that isnt your draw. Then you dont need to come here. You need to find wherever that place is for you. Because there is somewhere that is and always will be a second home. And when you find it, you wont care who is standing on the sidelines. Today, tomorrow or next year"

Sorry for the tangent. But that sums up my feelings. Every kid needs to hear that.

So, without naming names, curious, did the prospect end up going to Clemson?

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 03:49 PM   #222
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

Excellent post, CU.
HomerSimpson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 03:53 PM   #223
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

A little early, but a kid my brother coaches is Anthony Hines III (2017) LB
He already has over 100 offers.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 12:33 PM   #224
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
So, without naming names, curious, did the prospect end up going to Clemson?

Yep...and he's a phenominally talented young QB, and the assistant is now a HC at SMU.
Old 01-15-2015, 12:37 PM   #225
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yep...and he's a phenominally talented young QB, and the assistant is now a HC at SMU.

Haha that doesn't really keep much under wraps, does it? Lol... thanks, CU, good story.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 01-15-2015, 02:24 PM   #226
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Scout #2 TE Alize Jones decommits from UCLA and flips to Notre Dame...finally.

First time I ever kinda wanted a 5 star kid to decommit (I never felt he was coming after he started waffling a few months ago).

Now UCLA can go full bore after Chris Clark...the Scout #1 TE.

Old 01-15-2015, 02:29 PM   #227
MrBug708
Head Coach

One day we'll get the parents on board
Old 01-16-2015, 04:10 PM   #228
kingfc22
Head Coach

How much do 112 wins cost you might ask?

Apparently $60 million.

Joe Paterno's 111 wins that were vacated will be restored - ESPN
Old 01-16-2015, 05:29 PM   #229
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
One day we'll get the parents on board
Being able to point to Rudolph, Eifert and Niklas getting drafted early sounds like the bigger selling point there.

Great week for ND, with Jones finally flipping, Tillery and Coney turning down late SEC attempts and enrolling, and the biggest impact players for 2015 in Sheldon Day and Ronnie Stanley both returning (as well as KeiVarae Russell). Don't want to get too excited before seeing how the QB battle shakes out (Golson can't transfer until the summer) and seeing which players are suspended for academics this year, but this team looks loaded at every position except RB and S.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 05:32 PM   #230
MrBug708
Head Coach

I think Nico Fertitta is the only selling point
Old 01-16-2015, 05:55 PM   #231
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I think Nico Fertitta is the only selling point

Only selling point needed lol

Old 01-16-2015, 07:12 PM   #232
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Not sure if there's a joke I'm missing, but hey, whatever helps with a Bishop Gorman pipeline!
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 07:32 PM   #233
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Not sure if there's a joke I'm missing, but hey, whatever helps with a Bishop Gorman pipeline!

Nicco wanted to go to Notre Dame, and Lorenzo is probably not going to have his kid living in a dorm on campus. So Nicco's friend will probably not be doing so bad either.

Old 01-16-2015, 07:50 PM   #234
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post

Jones is close friends with Nico Fertitta. Think of him as the Roby Toma to Manti Teo. Because the friendship pre-dates any sort of recruitment, distance to Notre Dame isn't a factor as the families will likely travel together. It is what it is.
Old 01-16-2015, 11:06 PM   #235
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
How much do 112 wins cost you might ask?

Apparently $60 million.

Joe Paterno's 111 wins that were vacated will be restored - ESPN

I had very little use for the NCAA or PSU before this, but they can officially all go rot in hell for being spineless shitbags now.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 12:06 AM   #236
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
I had very little use for the NCAA or PSU before this, but they can officially all go rot in hell for being spineless shitbags now.

Is it that it puts a price on the crime? If $60 M is gained for these poor children so that an asterisk will be removed from an NCAA record book, I don't have a big problem with that.

Old 01-19-2015, 02:20 PM   #237
Atocep
Coordinator

Early signing period has been recommended by conference commissioners. It would start december 16th and last 72 hours. This makes a lot of sense and helps both players and schools.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 04:47 PM   #238
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Early signing period has been recommended by conference commissioners. It would start december 16th and last 72 hours. This makes a lot of sense and helps both players and schools.

Horrible compromise.
Coaches are in the heart of bowl prep here and the damage to the senior yar has already been done.

Useless.
Old 01-19-2015, 05:07 PM   #239
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Horrible compromise.
Coaches are in the heart of bowl prep here and the damage to the senior yar has already been done.

Useless.

IMO it should be right after camp season, but it's a step in the right direction. The December date is a huge benefit to the players. The kids get to find out where they are in the pecking order with more than a month and a half to signing day. This hurts schools that tend to oversign and/or cut players loose late in the process.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 06:15 PM   #240
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Horrible compromise.
Coaches are in the heart of bowl prep here and the damage to the senior year has already been done. Useless.

+1
Old 01-19-2015, 10:19 PM   #241
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Oh BTW. Cornelius, NC CB Mark Fields committee tonight to Clemson.

By my count this class is done, unless the last remaining shark (a lb) wants to join.

According to rivals.com that gives Clemson 5 of the top 50 payers nationally and 7 of the top 100.
That's nearly Bama/FSU level.

Last edited by CU Tiger : 01-19-2015 at 10:21 PM.
Old 01-20-2015, 11:29 AM   #242
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
+1

Yeah, it needs to be in August.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 07:05 PM   #243
MrBug708
Head Coach

Osa Masina to USC, as expected. Darn you Notre Dame for completely mailing it in vs USC when he was on his visit
Old 01-23-2015, 08:07 PM   #244
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Osa Masina to USC, as expected. Darn you Notre Dame for completely mailing it in vs USC when he was on his visit

He has been a silent for a few months reportedly. Huge pickup. The 5 star linebacker should be the next great one for USC.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 01-23-2015 at 08:08 PM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 08:34 PM   #245
MrBug708
Head Coach

Probably since the Notre Dame game. Not sure it was the right business decision, but Tui is one heck of a recruiter.

USC has pulled a couple of kids scholarships to make way for their pending 5*'s. The downside of recruiting sadly. Now if they could only do it to Dominic Davis..

Last edited by MrBug708 : 01-23-2015 at 08:40 PM.
Old 01-23-2015, 08:34 PM   #246
MrBug708
Head Coach

UCLA lands 4* WR out of Texas, Ryan Newsome. Watching the video, you can tell he's torn. UCLA usually loses the family battle
Old 01-27-2015, 06:44 PM   #247
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

I was doing some light reading about the offseason.

How the fuck does Florida not have a single top 50 player from the state of Florida. I don't know if I can recall a major program having this bad a class.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 08:17 PM   #248
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Michigan and Florida both outside the top 50.... Shocking.
Old 01-27-2015, 08:36 PM   #249
MrBug708
Head Coach

Michigan is shadow offering all of ucla's verbals it seems
Old 01-27-2015, 09:05 PM   #250
bronconick
College Starter

Michigan and Florida have new coaches, and I think they were going to be small classes anyway.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote