Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-28-2007, 01:22 PM   #201
LloydLungs
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Yeah, the small teams do extremely well this time of the year in the RPI.

Obviously the RPI is meaningless this time of year, but UNO's high ranking actually has some basis for it, since they won at NC State and NC State has otherwise looked really good and scored some early quality wins. Where's our #1 seed, dammit?!? Bracketology is a fraud!!

Unfortunately our top 5 bubble should burst tonight, win or lose, vs. #297 Lamar. But it was fun while it lasted.
LloydLungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 01:25 PM   #202
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by LloydLungs View Post
Obviously the RPI is meaningless this time of year, but UNO's high ranking actually has some basis for it, since they won at NC State and NC State has otherwise looked really good and scored some early quality wins. Where's our #1 seed, dammit?!? Bracketology is a fraud!!

Unfortunately our top 5 bubble should burst tonight, win or lose, vs. #297 Lamar. But it was fun while it lasted.

Yeah, those early season cupcakes will send you plummeting early in the season.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 01:32 PM   #203
Butter
Coordinator

Dayton at Miami (OH) tonight... Miami fresh off its upset of Indiana and good showing over the weekend.

Let's go Flyers!!!!
Old 11-28-2007, 09:07 PM   #204
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Quote:

Sorry, Lloyd, but you get two hits for the price of one tonight. What a spectacular way to get slaughtered on national television. Pretty much wiped out any rebuild we made after the loss to NO. I'm not sure what to think of this team right now.

Last edited by Wolfpack : 11-28-2007 at 09:08 PM.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 10:46 PM   #205
LloydLungs
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack View Post
Sorry, Lloyd, but you get two hits for the price of one tonight. What a spectacular way to get slaughtered on national television. Pretty much wiped out any rebuild we made after the loss to NO. I'm not sure what to think of this team right now.

Yeah, something is obviously amiss in Raleigh. Too bad. I'm rooting for em, and there's no shame in losing at Michigan State, but yikes. There's still a lot of time to get it corrected, but I'm not sure about Sidney Lowe either.

The Privateers did take care of Lamar pretty easily tonight, but the RPI falls to #24. As the Buffalo Bills' secondary once said in NFL This Week In Pictures... Lamentations!
LloydLungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 12:08 AM   #206
BishopMVP
Coordinator

UMass goes into the Carrier Dome and puts up a Carrier Dome-record 107 points in a win over Syracuse, 107-100. If we can avoid a letdown next 2 games, we play at BC in 2 weeks with a lot at stake.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 07:08 AM   #207
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
Dayton at Miami (OH) tonight... Miami fresh off its upset of Indiana and good showing over the weekend.

Let's go Flyers!!!!

Apparently, I was high saying Miami (OH) upset Indiana. But they did beat Xavier earlier this year, who beat Indiana this weekend. Miami (OH) has also beaten Mississippi State, and lost to Southern Cal by 4.

Let me tell this story...

Dayton falls down early in the game 20-2. Miami guard Michael Bramos hit 5 straight 3-pointers early to give Miami a huge early lead. The Redhawks are one of the best defensive teams in the country, so I wasn't optimistic. The lead was 30-9 Miami with about 6 minutes left in the first half, and was 33-18 at halftime.

Dayton hovered around for a while, and finally cut the lead to 10 with 10 minutes left. Then Miami went cold. Dayton cut it to 45-44 with about 5 minutes to go. Then UD goes cold, and Miami stretches their lead back to 7 with 1:13 left, 51-44. Then all of a sudden, Dayton's star guard (and one of the best players in the country you've never heard of) Brian Roberts just goes completely off. He is making great assists, jumpers, and dribble drives. Miami is missing their free throws. Come down to the end, and it is 61-60 Miami with 13.8 seconds left, and Bramos going to the line, already a holder of a careeer high 35 points.

Bramos misses the first free throw, but hits the second. Roberts takes the inbounds, runs up the floor, dribbles right... then behind a screen... Miami sags momentarily, and Roberts shoots a 22 footer at the top of the arc that goes in. Dayton takes their first lead of the game with 4.8 seconds to play, 63-62, and win in one of the more amazing comebacks I've ever seen a Dayton team make.

I'm still a little fired up! This was a huge road win, only the second time Dayton has won at Miami in 20 years (10 games).

Dayton has 2 more tough road games coming up, Holy Cross on Saturday night, and Louisville on Sat. Dec. 8th (2 PM on ESPN2!). Hopefully we can keep up the momentum and beat HC and keep it reasonable with U of L.

Last edited by Butter : 11-29-2007 at 07:13 AM.
Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 07:24 AM   #208
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

At least Penn State did its job and won in the Big Ten/ACC Challenge. That might be the first time I can ever say that for their basketball team.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 07:35 AM   #209
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Crazy game between the Hogs and Mizzou last night. 94-91, Hogs win. Frustrating that Mizzou failed to pull it out, but it was a fun game to watch.
Old 11-29-2007, 07:44 AM   #210
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
The Privateers did take care of Lamar pretty easily tonight, but the RPI falls to #24. As the Buffalo Bills' secondary once said in NFL This Week In Pictures... Lamentations!
Down to #24. We are so done.

Edit: Wait! Make that #22! We're back, baby!

Last edited by Pumpy Tudors : 11-29-2007 at 07:44 AM.
Pumpy Tudors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 08:11 AM   #211
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:

That was a brutal game. MSU was just about pefect yesterday so I would not take too much negative from the game if I am a Wolfpack fan. One thing I would not be happy with is the idea that they were so tired after the Villanova game. It is not like they played last night and MSU had a week off.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 08:26 AM   #212
kurtism
High School Varsity

Full disclosure - IU grad and fan here. At what point will the ACC petition to change the name from "Big Ten-ACC Challenge" to "ACC RPI Building Exercise"? IU won its first game in the history of the "Challenge" Tuesday, but the Big Ten continues its woeful run...
kurtism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 09:10 AM   #213
MJ4H
Coordinator

It was great to see Mike Anderson back in Bud Walton Arena last night. The Arkansas crowd gave him a standing ovation when he was introduced before the game. You could tell he appreciated it, too. Very cool.

Last edited by MJ4H : 11-29-2007 at 09:45 AM.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 09:43 AM   #214
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJones4Heisman View Post
It was great to see Mike Anderson back in Bud Walton Arena last night. The Arkansas gave him a standing ovation when he was introduced before the game. You could tell he appreciated it, too. Very cool.

Agreed. It was a really nice gesture by the fans. Lots of good memories for him at that school.
Old 11-29-2007, 12:43 PM   #215
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtism View Post
Full disclosure - IU grad and fan here. At what point will the ACC petition to change the name from "Big Ten-ACC Challenge" to "ACC RPI Building Exercise"? IU won its first game in the history of the "Challenge" Tuesday, but the Big Ten continues its woeful run...

Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 01:34 PM   #216
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtism View Post

True, true, but the matchups were all kind of ungainly this year, it seemed. Duke-Wisconsin wasn't a fair matchup at Cameron (but, hey, K doesn't ever play out-of-state in the Challenge, so someone's gotta take the axe for Dickie V's enjoyment...) and Carolina-OSU was probably decided on before Oden, et al, bolted. State-State seemed to be a good matchup but that didn't work out either. It did seem to be tilted to the ACC, though, as two bottom-feeders from the B10 (NW, Minnesota) got wiped by ACC mid-tier teams and the ACC got to leave out its consensus bottom team in Miami. I do wish they'd make matchups more on team similarities rather than TV pull.

Actually that does make me curious. I'd like to see how well the "matchups" the Challenge has constructed over the years has agreed with the season standings for that year (perhaps preseason rankings, since the matchups are made in the offseason).
Old 11-29-2007, 01:42 PM   #217
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Actually that does make me curious. I'd like to see how well the "matchups" the Challenge has constructed over the years has agreed with the season standings for that year (perhaps preseason rankings, since the matchups are made in the offseason).

I would too. I'm fairly sure that UNC has regularly alternated home/road games, and the matchups at the top usually are the preseason favorites against each other, but i have not usually paid attention to the middle/lower matchups.

Also, this year the ACC got to keep Miami out, but until the last few years, it was the Big 10+1 getting to leave out two bottom feeders.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:56 PM   #218
Malificent
High School JV

Quote:
True, true, but the matchups were all kind of ungainly this year, it seemed. Duke-Wisconsin wasn't a fair matchup at Cameron (but, hey, K doesn't ever play out-of-state in the Challenge, so someone's gotta take the axe for Dickie V's enjoyment...)

Not to interject facts in this discussion or anything, but..

Duke's play location in the ACC-Big Ten Challenge:

Out of state: '99, '01, '03, '05
In-state: Greensboro ('00, '02), Home ('04, '06, '07)

So roughly equal and if Duke plays away in '08, it will be exactly equal.
Malificent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 02:40 PM   #219
miami_fan
Coordinator

The matchups were announced back in April. Here is how it broke down by the final regular season conference standings last year

(11) Wake Forest over (6) Iowa
(8) Clemson over (5) Purdue
(6) Duke over (2) Wisconsin
(9) FSU over (9) Minnesota
(3) Indiana over (7) Georgia Tech
(2) Virginia over (10) Northwestern
(3) Maryland over (4) Illinois
(5) BC over (8) Michigan
(7) Michigan St. over (10) NC State
(1) North Carolina over (1) Ohio State
(11) Penn State over (4) Virginia Tech
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 11-29-2007, 02:42 PM   #220
sooner333
College Starter

Battle tonight between two top freshman players in the Big 12/Pac 10 Hardwood Series. Oklahoma goes to LA to face the Trojans. 10 PM, Central on FSN. O.J. Mayo is obviously the top freshman for the Trojans, while Blake Griffin leads OU in rebounds and points. Should be an interesting game in the first year of this series between the two conferences.
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 02:47 PM   #221
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Hate these late games.
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 12:01 AM   #222
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vex View Post
Hate these late games.

Naw, they're on at the right time.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 07:31 AM   #223
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Kansas State put a good scare into Oregon. A bit disappointed with OU's performance. I thought they'd put up a bit more of a fight.
Old 11-30-2007, 10:53 AM   #224
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Kansas State put a good scare into Oregon. A bit disappointed with OU's performance. I thought they'd put up a bit more of a fight.

Yes, but that was one truly spectacular brain fart the K-State guy had at the end there. "Hey, an easy basket...."
Old 11-30-2007, 10:56 AM   #225
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malificent View Post
Not to interject facts in this discussion or anything, but..

Duke's play location in the ACC-Big Ten Challenge:

Out of state: '99, '01, '03, '05
In-state: Greensboro ('00, '02), Home ('04, '06, '07)

So roughly equal and if Duke plays away in '08, it will be exactly equal.

Well, somewhat corrected, I suppose. I guess what I'm remembering was that it was a big deal for Duke to visit Indiana at Bloomington because of the other three roadies Duke took, two I think ended up in Chicago with the remaining game at MSU where they blitzed the Spartans that one year. IOW, Duke has spent less time facing the really hostile environments of other campus gyms than others have. (edit to add: may not be Duke's control necessarily as ESPN may influnce locations for the top-scale matchups)

Last edited by Wolfpack : 11-30-2007 at 10:59 AM.
Old 12-01-2007, 02:37 PM   #226
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Interesting factoid from Sunday's Texas-UCLA showdown. The admin has granted 39 scouting credentials, and 29 of the 30 NBA teams will have scouts there.

My first thought was, WOW, that's a lot of scouts! My second thought was, Okay, which is the black sheep NBA team that decided it didn't have any interest in a Kevin Love or a D.J. Augustin?

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 12-01-2007, 02:48 PM   #227
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Interesting factoid from Sunday's Texas-UCLA showdown. The admin has granted 39 scouting credentials, and 29 of the 30 NBA teams will have scouts there.

My first thought was, WOW, that's a lot of scouts! My second thought was, Okay, which is the black sheep NBA team that decided it didn't have any interest in a Kevin Love or a D.J. Augustin?

Didn't a certain L.A. based owner with the initials D.S. have a reputation for being a cheapskate when it comes to the scouting.
Old 12-01-2007, 02:48 PM   #228
MrBug708
Head Coach

The Nuggets are the lone team without a Scout I believe
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 02:56 PM   #229
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Didn't a certain L.A. based owner with the initials D.S. have a reputation for being a cheapskate when it comes to the scouting.

He had a reputation for being a cheapskate about everything.

But then he agreed to match Brand's offer, and signed Maggette, Kaman, Thomas and Mobley for big money. He's also building a huge team athletic center from scratch at Dunleavy's urging. So he's a little more willing now to spend.

Heh...Nuggets. What's that about? Do they not have any draft picks for the next three years?

Old 12-01-2007, 03:20 PM   #230
Radii
Head Coach

UNC is handling Kentucky on the road pretty easily, which is always good to see even with Kentucky being down this year. Lawson is playing today and looks as fast as always, looks to be healthy which is very good.

I can't wait to see Texas/UCLA tomorrow.
Old 12-01-2007, 03:27 PM   #231
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

GT goes to Vandy & gets blown out.
Old 12-01-2007, 07:43 PM   #232
Klinglerware
College Starter

Looks like Tommy Amaker's Harvard team goes out and beats Michigan.

BTW, why on earth would Michigan play Harvard at Harvard?
Klinglerware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 08:20 PM   #233
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klinglerware View Post

My guess would be a gentleman's agreement with Amaker. Expecting an easy win on the road against a possible tournement team.
Old 12-01-2007, 10:31 PM   #234
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Quote:

Looks like several Big Ten teams went on the road to non-power teams this weekend. Ohio State got hammered at Butler, after leading by 10 at halftime. They got outscored something like 45-16 in the 2nd half.
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 12:03 AM   #235
miami_fan
Coordinator

More bad news for the folks in Columbia, MO
Old 12-02-2007, 09:49 AM   #236
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
More bad news for the folks in Columbia, MO

No kidding. Blew a 13 point lead and lost by 12. Last weekend was as good as it gets. This weekend, not so much.
Old 12-02-2007, 01:37 PM   #237
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:

It was scheduled before this year as a home and home (don't know how we got them to agree to that). Harvard went to Michigan last year.

I was pretty impressed watching the Crimson yesterday. Played very tough on both ends of the court. Very early, but the Ivy League looks to be pretty open this year. Of course, the Crimson have never won an Ivy League title and this team had a losing record last season.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 01:52 PM   #238
Johnny93g
College Starter

Eric Gordon looked sick against S. Illinois last night. He looked like he was playing with an edge. 22 points, which lowers his scoring average. Hoosiers hand S. Illinois their 4th home loss in 6 years.
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 01:53 PM   #239
digamma
Torchbearer

dola...

After the game last night, I sent Coach Amaker an e-mail congratulating him on the win. Just got a non-form letter response from him. This could be a really good fit.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 02:51 PM   #240
Klinglerware
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
It was scheduled before this year as a home and home (don't know how we got them to agree to that). Harvard went to Michigan last year.

I was pretty impressed watching the Crimson yesterday. Played very tough on both ends of the court. Very early, but the Ivy League looks to be pretty open this year. Of course, the Crimson have never won an Ivy League title and this team had a losing record last season.

Yeah, it looks to be pretty wide-open this year, especially with Princeton being down recently.

Amaker is assembling a fantastic recruiting class, and with his name-recognition and credentials, could potentially build a lasting program, if he decides to stay. He's gotten some pretty intriguing transfers as well.

Last edited by Klinglerware : 12-02-2007 at 02:56 PM.
Old 12-02-2007, 03:00 PM   #241
henry296
College Starter

To continue the Ivy conversation... Penn is also rebuilding this year starting 3 freshman and a sophomore. I'm not looking forward to Tuesday vs. UNC. However, the future is bright for 2009 and 2010
Old 12-02-2007, 03:19 PM   #242
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
After the game last night, I sent Coach Amaker an e-mail congratulating him on the win. Just got a non-form letter response from him. This could be a really good fit.

That's extremely cool, especially after previously being involved in such high profile programs, that he'd think to personally handle his own e-mail now is neat.

Last edited by Radii : 12-02-2007 at 03:19 PM.
Old 12-02-2007, 05:18 PM   #243
Klinglerware
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry296 View Post
To continue the Ivy conversation... Penn is also rebuilding this year starting 3 freshman and a sophomore. I'm not looking forward to Tuesday vs. UNC. However, the future is bright for 2009 and 2010

Cornell, Yale, Brown, and Columbia have all made strides in the past few years too. I think the league will be more fun to watch now that it isn't Penn, Princeton, and the six dwarves anymore...
Old 12-02-2007, 07:16 PM   #244
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Texas-UCLA is off to a fast start.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 07:51 PM   #245
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
I wouldn't expect the score at the half. Texas 37 UCLA 25. The Horns have been great on D, and the Bruins have been ice cold from outside. Should be a great second half!

Last edited by cartman : 12-02-2007 at 07:52 PM.
Old 12-02-2007, 07:53 PM   #246
MrBug708
Head Coach

UCLA went on a 10 minute run scoring just two points. UCLA is a much better second half so we'll see
Old 12-02-2007, 08:17 PM   #247
MrBug708
Head Coach

UCLA needs to be able to bust the zone but Shipp and Collison aren't hitting much
Old 12-02-2007, 08:28 PM   #248
cartman
Death Herald

I think there is something wrong with the basket at that end of the court.
Texas can't seem to do anything this half.
Old 12-02-2007, 08:29 PM   #249
MrBug708
Head Coach

Love ha sthree fouls and Texas finally stopped the onslaught. Almost went 8 minutes with three points
Old 12-02-2007, 08:29 PM   #250
MrBug708
Head Coach

The scouts are getting to the Bruin's heads. They are shooting three's at a much higher then normal clip