Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-09-2006, 10:06 PM   #201
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Help Help! I'm being opressed! Come see the violence inherent in the sysadmin!
Old 08-11-2006, 04:55 AM   #202
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog
Dat boy pushed up 470 on Friday.
Danny Ware comments on dat boy in the AJC today, plus the article confirms the above comment about TB's bench:

Quote:
Ware finds himself third at tailback
Two years after breakout, junior waits for another chance

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 08/11/06 Athens — Remember?
Remember when Georgia was preparing to open the 2004 season and all the buzz was about an up-until-then little-known tailback from Rockmart by way of Hargrave Military Academy? Remember how he was all set to become the first freshman in six decades to start the season at the Bulldogs' premier ball-carrying position?
Brant Sanderlin / AJC
Danny Ware, behind Thomas Brown and Kregg Lumpkin at tailback, is part of Georgia's No. 1 kickoff-return team.
Danny Ware remembers, too. He was that freshman, and it seems like another lifetime ago.
"I came in with all this hype when I first started," said Ware, who became the first freshman to start the season at tailback for Georgia since Charles "Rabbit" Smith in 1943. "It's kind of been downhill ever since."
Ware rushed for 135 yards and scored three touchdowns that first game against Georgia Southern. He recorded three more 100-yard efforts that season, against LSU (109), Vanderbilt (127) and Florida (103).
But there has been only one 100-yard game since — 109 against Louisiana-Monroe last year. As the Bulldogs prepare to open the season against Western Kentucky, Ware finds himself with an entirely different set of circumstances.
He's now third on the tailback depth chart behind fellow juniors Thomas Brown and Kregg Lumpkin.
"Right now that is the pecking order," first-year running backs coach Tony Ball said.
"Sometimes you get a little frustrated because you can't get as many carries as you want and the playing time that you want and need to become a better player," Ware said. "But I just have to deal with it."
So what happened?
In a nutshell, Brown did.
Ware got that start in the 2004 opener only because Lumpkin, who'd burst onto the scene as a freshman in 2003, blew out a knee in the first practice. Ware had come in from Hargrave the previous spring and already passed Michael Cooper and Tony Milton on the depth chart.
Then Brown arrived. The freshman from Tucker led the Bulldogs in rushing that season (875) and again last year (736). After setting four weightlifting records this summer — including the best bench press ever by a Georgia running back (470 pounds) — and wowing the coaching staff on a daily basis in practice, only a serious injury could break Brown's stranglehold on the starting job.
"I've never once said he wasn't going to play," Georgia coach Mark Richt said of Ware. "It's just because we've been very impressed with Thomas Brown. He's just been tremendous every day. He's focused and every snap seems like the national championship for him."
Even Ware has to tip his cap to Brown.
"He's murdering it," Ware said. "Strength-wise, he's stepped up a whole lot this year. He's been really focused. Not to say me and Kregg haven't been focused, but Thomas seems to have an extra block on his shoulder or something, and me and Kregg are just trying to get on the bandwagon and get going with him."
Lumpkin has been almost as impressive. After a slow start in 2005 due to his recovery from ACL surgery, he finished the season strong. He led the Bulldogs with 74 yards against Georgia Tech and was second to Brown in the SEC championship game and Sugar Bowl.
In the final three games last season, Lumpkin had 33 carries, Brown 31 and Ware 10.
Georgia has since added another hotshot back to the competition: Knowshon Moreno, New Jersey's all-time leading scorer (128 touchdowns) and second-leading rusher (6,268 yards).
Ware's plight, it seems, is the result of playing at a top 10 program that keeps signing top 10 recruiting classes.
"I think Danny's taking it real well," said fullback Des Williams, Ware's roommate and best friend. "He knows there's unbelievable talent here. Coach Richt has made it pretty clear they're going to use Danny any way they can. He just has to take advantage of his opportunities when he gets on the field."
Some of those opportunities will come on special teams. Ware is on the No. 1 kickoff return team and No. 2 punt team. The Bulldogs are also experimenting with some two-tailback sets with the thought of utilizing Ware's pass-catching skills, much the way Auburn did with Ronnie Brown two seasons ago.
"I'm trying to get on the field as many ways as I can, just trying to make my presence felt," Ware said. "Even if I don't touch the ball as much as I want, I still want to get on the field and make plays any way I can."
In the meantime, Ware said he has quashed the thoughts of starting over somewhere else and buried the memories of that storybook start.
"Like anybody else in my situation, I've had thoughts about going elsewhere," he said of transferring. "But I'm not going to. It's too late. If I was going, I would've went. I'm not going to put in all this hard work with all my friends and teammates to let them down and go somewhere else.
"I'm here. I'm going to stick it out."
Old 08-18-2006, 05:07 AM   #203
Ben E Lou

I keep hearing the same message out of Athens: breakout year expected. "Thomas Brown" to possibly become household name in college football world...

Quote:
Dogs' Brown lifts his game to higher level
Tailback has strong offseason

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 08/18/06 Athens — By now, most Georgia fans have heard about the eye-popping numbers Thomas Brown put up in the weight room this summer.
His 470-pound bench press, 610-pound squat and 347-pound power-clean lift all set records for Georgia running backs. And his 7.52 power index score — total pounds lifted divided by Brown's weight (190) — is a school record for all players, making Brown, pound for pound, the strongest player the Bulldogs have ever had.
Bita Honarvar / AJC
Georgia junior running back Thomas Brown hopes his offseason regimen helps him produce some long runs this season.
But those aren't the numbers the junior is bent on improving upon this season. He's looking to "hit more home runs."
If there has been any criticism of Brown — and there's been very little to date — it's that he hasn't ripped off many long runs.
"I completely agree with that," said Brown, Georgia's leading rusher the past two seasons and undisputed starter at tailback this season. "I haven't done the best job my first two years of making safeties miss. I think a lot of that had to do with me just wanting to prove myself too much and run everybody over just to prove a point. I'm getting away from that and getting back to basics. I'm trying to make a conscious effort of getting by the safety this year."
In his first two seasons, Brown's longest runs from scrimmage were 46 yards in 2004 and 52 yards in 2005, the latter of which went for a touchdown against West Virginia in the Sugar Bowl. Brown's next-longest scoring runs were for 29 yards in 2004 and 18 last season.
Just for the sake of comparison, Herschel Walker had five scoring runs of 60 or more yards his freshman season.
It's not like Brown hasn't had opportunities. Off the top of his head, he can cite chances in games against Boise State, South Carolina, Arkansas and Florida last season.
"I've had so many nights where I sat in my bed and thought about the times I had those opportunities," Brown said. "I've gone back and watched the film over and over again. I remember them like it was yesterday. The line and wide receivers have given me plenty of chances."
Which brings us back to Brown's weight-room conquests. He became downright obsessive about improving after last season. He attacked Georgia's offseason conditioning program like an ant on a chicken bone.
"Thomas just has a mean attitude — very tough, very determined, very competitive," Georgia strength and conditioning coordinator Dave Van Halanger said. "He hates to lose at anything. I think it goes back to his size. I think he probably got tired of people saying he was too small. He just decided, 'I might not be the biggest, but I'll be the strongest and the toughest.' "
To put Brown's 470-pound bench in perspective, that's only 45.8 pounds shy of the world record for his weight division, set last month by Stephen Judah. And it's within 21 pounds of the American collegiate record.
So, how does Brown do it?
In addition to having some special genetic gifts, he said he dedicated himself to getting his body into pristine physical condition for this season.
He met with a UGA nutritionist in the spring to design an optimum diet for training. He also did a lot of running and swears he's faster than he was last season when he played at 10 fewer pounds.
Others will vouch for him.
"You can see it on film," quarterback Joe Tereshinski said. "He's gotten a lot faster. The dedication he puts forth to getting better is just unbelievable. He's probably improved twice as much as he did his first two years."
And those home runs? Everybody seems to agree it's just a matter of time before Brown leaves safeties in his dust.
"He has that in him," running backs coach Tony Ball said. "That's all I'm going to say about that."
"Oh, definitely," Tereshinski added. "... He's going to bust through there and take it all the way."
Old 08-18-2006, 05:15 AM   #204
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

I wish he had a better line to make holes for him.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 07:55 PM   #205
Ben E Lou

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=268595

Quote:

Georgia RB defying odds on field, in classroom

September 5, 2007
Associated Press

ATHENS, Ga. (AP) -- You're supposed to need at least a year -- and often longer -- to fully recover from a torn ACL.

But there's Thomas Brown, running hard andfeeling better than ever in the Georgia backfield, less than 11 months after doctors cut on his right knee.
You're supposed to do just enough to stay academically eligible when playing college football and there's a chance of moving on to the NFL.

But there's Thomas Brown, taking a huge load in the classroom this semester with an eye toward picking up his diploma in 31/2 years.
Never say no to this guy. He'll probably just prove you wrong.

"I have a lot of goals," Brown said. "I really don't do anything else except go to class, go to practice and go home."

While he tries to sneak in six hours of sleep each night, it's not easy. There are plays to learn and film to watch. There are books to read and assignments to write. But Brown figures it will all be worth it when he's playing in the NFL next season, with a Georgia diploma hanging on his wall.
He's taking seven classes this semester: four on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, three on Tuesdays and Thursdays, a total of 21 hours. Five of the courses are in speech, his major. He also signed up for African literature and philosophy. If he passes them all, he graduates.

Then he can turn his attention this spring to getting ready for the NFL draft.

"It would be sad to be here all this time and not walk away with a degree," Brown said. "I come from a very educated family. My mother and father are both very educated. My sister, as well. I thought it was very important for myself and my family to get my degree."

He's just as motivated on the field. After leading the No. 11 Bulldogs in rushing his first two years, Brown tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee midway through last season. He could have taken a redshirt year to make sure he was fully healed, but he read up enough to know that a shorter comeback was possible.

Brown was already running by the summer. He reported for the start of preseason camp -- a mere 9 1/2 months after his injury -- proclaiming himself fully recovered.

"I saw the minimum time for coming back from an ACL was usually six to seven months," he said. "So I kind of made that my goal. I wanted to be back to doing everything, or close to everything, by mid-June. I tried to stay pretty focused and pretty disciplined with my regimen."

Of course, Brown still had plenty of doubters going into last Saturday's season opener against Oklahoma State. But they hushed up after his performance: 12 carries for 48 yards and two touchdowns, three kickoff returns for 80 yards, and a 7-yard pass reception.

Just to have Brown returning kickoffs was remarkable. That was how he hurt his knee last season, and no one would have blamed him if he had asked out of special teams duty.

"Oh yeah, everybody told me that," Brown said with a smile. "That was kind of the first question when I came back: Was I going to get back there and do kickoff returns. When I told them I would, a lot of people had some very strong, choice words for me. But I don't play the game scared."

Georgia's coaches and players are amazed at Brown's focus when he puts his mind to something.

"I don't know what makes him tick the way he does," head coach Mark Richt marveled. "It's like he's got something to prove. His determination and mental toughness are probably unmatched on our team since I've been here. I can't really think of anyone who's tougher than him."

In fact, Richt was the one who revealed Brown's class load. The player planned to keep it to himself.

"He wants to graduate this semester, and he needs 21 hours to do it," Richt said. "A lot of people were telling him not to do it. But he thrives when people say he can't do it. Whether he makes it or not, I don't know. But his goal is to get ready for the NFL when the season's over, and to graduate in 31/2 years. He's not going to prolong it."

Quarterback Matthew Stafford got a sampling of Brown's makeup when the players gathered for summer workouts.

"We were all out there conditioning and working hard, and he's sprinting at the front. I was just amazed," Stafford recalled. "I never saw him with ice on his knee. He never missed a day because of a swollen knee or anything. But if anybody could do it, it's him. He's got the most freakish body ever."
Brown's workload is likely to increase Saturday in the Southeastern Conference opener against South Carolina. Fellow senior Kregg Lumpkin broke a thumb against Oklahoma State and will likely need at least a month to fully recover.

Look for Brown to take plenty of handoffs. Look for Brown to return every kickoff he can. Look for Brown to take his place on the punt coverage team.

Yep, that's right. He also serves as a "gunner" on Georgia punts, running downfield in hopes to getting to the returner just as he's catching the ball.
"He just loves football," Richt said. "He's doing everything he can to help us win. He wants to be the best at everything he does."
Old 09-05-2007, 08:35 PM   #206
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

21 credits is crazy for a regular student. Hats off to this kid.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 05:20 AM   #207
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000 View Post
21 credits is crazy for a regular student. Hats off to this kid.

My semesters were crazy enough if I went over 15.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 05:39 AM   #208
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Amazing guy.
albionmoonlight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 07:07 PM   #209
Ben E Lou

I merged all of the TB threads. This'll be quite fun if he's a legit NFL player. Unfortunately, the original thread from the ubb days no longer exists.

Anyway, a much more in-depth article in the same vein is up at ESPN.com now.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/column...ark&id=3008503

Quote:
Georgia RB Brown defies odds on and off the field for Bulldogs

By Mark Schlabach
ESPN.com

ATHENS, Ga. -- Last season, as Georgia running back Thomas Brown lay on the turf holding his wrecked right knee after returning the opening kickoff of the second half against Vanderbilt, he faced the typical fears of a student-athlete. "Will I ever be able to play again?" Brown worried. "Will I be as good when I come back? Will I be able to get better?"
Thomas Brown enjoyed an impressive showing in the opener, compiling 135 all-purpose yards.
Unlike most people, though, Brown's next concern was this: When can I get back to work? Brown, a senior from nearby Tucker, has been defying odds ever since he arrived on the Georgia campus three years ago. Even though Brown is one of the Bulldogs' smallest players at 5-foot-8 and 200 pounds, he is a bruising runner and one of the strongest players in the program's history. Because of Brown's work ethic and extraordinary physical condition, he returned from a torn anterior cruciate ligament -- an injury that typically requires 12-18 months of recovery -- in less than 10 months. He started last week's opener against Oklahoma State and had 135 all-purpose yards and ran for two touchdowns in 11th-ranked Georgia's 35-14 victory. With senior tailback Kregg Lumpkin sidelined for up to a month with a broken thumb, Brown and redshirt freshman Knowshon Moreno figure to carry an even bigger load against South Carolina at Sanford Stadium on Saturday (ESPN2, 5:45 p.m. ET)."I don't know what makes him tick the way he does," Bulldogs coach Mark Richt said. "It's like he's got something to prove. His determination and mental toughness are probably unmatched on our team since I've been here. I can't really think of anyone who's tougher than him." Or more determined. After undergoing surgery to repair the torn ACL, Brown was riding a stationary bike and doing flexibility drills only a few weeks later. He was running during spring practice and then sprinting ahead of everyone else during summer conditioning. "We were all out there conditioning and working hard, and he's sprinting at the front," Georgia quarterback Matthew Stafford said. "I was just amazed. I never saw him with ice on his knee. He never missed a day because of a swollen knee or anything. But if anybody could do it, it's him. He's got the most freakish body ever." I don't know what makes him tick the way he does. It's like he's got something to prove. His determination and mental toughness are probably unmatched on our team since I've been here. I can't really think of anyone who's tougher than him.

Bulldogs coach Mark Richt, on Thomas Brown

But the first time Stafford saw Brown, he wondered how the smallish back would protect him from a blitzing middle linebacker. "I didn't meet him the first couple of days I was here," Stafford said. "I saw this kind of quiet guy who wasn't very big. But then I saw him in the weight room and figured he would do OK." Brown has worked extremely hard to build his body. He bench presses 470 pounds, squats 610 and power cleans 357. Georgia calculates its players' strength by a power index -- total weight lifted divided by body weight -- and Brown measured 7.55, the highest mark in the program's history, according to associate strength coach Keith Gray. "From the time he got hurt, he spent so much time in the weight room, riding a bike or lifting weights," Gray said. "It got to the point where we had to try and calm him down. We'd tell him, 'Now, Thomas, you've already lifted weights today. You can't do it again.'" Brown, 21, couldn't sit still because he arrived at Georgia with a four-year plan. He wanted to start on the football team as a freshman, even after breaking his leg during his senior year at Tucker High School in suburban Atlanta. He led the Bulldogs in rushing as a freshman with 875 yards and scored eight touchdowns in 2004, then ran for 736 yards as a sophomore and helped Georgia win the SEC in 2005. More importantly, Brown wanted to graduate in 3½ years and spend the spring semester of his fourth year preparing for the NFL draft. Brown is taking 21 semester hours of courses this fall -- three classes in speech communication, one in African literature and another in philosophy. He attends four classes on Monday, Wednesday and Friday and three more on Tuesday and Thursday. "I've got a lot of goals," Brown said. "It would be sad to be here all this time and not walk away with a degree. I come from a very educated family. My mother and father are both very educated. My sister, as well. I thought it was very important for myself and my family to get my degree." Throw in football practices four times a week and games on the weekends, and Brown faces an arduous 3½ months this fall. "He wants to graduate this semester, and he needs 21 hours to do it," Richt said. "A lot of people were telling him not to do it. But he thrives when people say he can't do it. Whether he makes it or not, I don't know. But his goal is to get ready for the NFL when the season's over, and to graduate in 3½ years. He's not going to prolong it." Brown wasn't going to prolong his rehabilitation, either. Brown said he was fortunate he didn't tear additional knee ligaments. Surgeons gave him the option of repairing his ACL with tissue from his hamstring or patella tendon in his right knee. Brown chose to use tissue from his hamstring because he had a history of patella tendinitis. "I didn't know much about the injury," Brown said. "Everything I've always heard about the injury was bad. I wondered if I'd ever be able to play again. If I did play again, would I be as good or have a chance to be better?" If the first game is any indication, Brown is better than ever. "I think I'm in better condition than I was last year," Brown said. "I can tell by the way I make runs, break tackles and make reads. In the last game, the fourth quarter still felt like the first quarter." Brown is so confident in his knee, he volunteered to return kickoffs again this season. Before getting hurt against Vanderbilt last season, he was one of the SEC's top kick returners with a 25.3-yard average. He averaged 26.7 yards on three kickoff returns against Oklahoma State. Brown also plays on Georgia's punt team as a gunner, a player who sprints down the field to make tackles. "I've been folded up and rolled up every which way, so I was confident in the knee," Brown said. "That was kind of the first question when I came back: Was I going to get back there and do kickoff returns? When I told them I would, a lot of people had some very strong, choice words for me. "But I don't play the game scared. I didn't start playing the game scared, so I'm not going to do it now." Thanks to Brown, the Bulldogs' offense is better than expected. Stafford, who struggled mightily as a freshman, is much more comfortable standing in the pocket and makes fewer mistakes. Richt, who coached Heisman Trophy-winning quarterbacks Charlie Ward and Chris Weinke at Florida State, said Stafford is the "most talented guy overall that I've been able to coach." But with two freshmen and a juco transfer starting on the offensive line, new offensive coordinator Mike Bobo figures to lean heavily on his running game. And with Lumpkin sidelined, Brown and Moreno will have to lead the way. Moreno, from Belford, N.J., ran for 70 yards on 20 carries and had two catches for 51 yards against Oklahoma State. "He's a lot more wide open than I am," Brown said. "I don't see myself as a conservative runner, but compared to him I'm conservative. He has great speed and great vision and great hands as well." Saturday's SEC opener against the Gamecocks will go a long way in determining whether Georgia has a great season. At least the Bulldogs know Brown will do his part. "He just loves football," Richt said. "He's doing everything he can to help us win. He wants to be the best at everything he does."
Old 09-07-2007, 07:23 PM   #210
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Very cool articles. I always love hearing of players that actually take advantage of getting their education while in school.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 07:22 AM   #211
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Very cool articles. I always love hearing of players that actually take advantage of getting their education while in school.
Well, it runs in the family...

http://onlineathens.com/stories/0926...70926068.shtml

Quote:
Brown's upbringing shows on, off the field

Uplifting

Georgia running back Thomas Brown has five total touchdowns (three rushing and two receiving) for the Bulldogs this season.
Trevor Frey / Staff

As bishop of the Fourth District of the Christian Methodist Episcopal Church, Thomas Brown Sr. presides over 325 churches consisting of approximately 65,000 people in Mississippi and Louisiana. That area is in the thick of SEC country, where football is a religion to some and the preferred team of choice in those states is not Georgia, where son Thomas Brown Jr. is the starting tailback and leads the team in all-purpose yards.

"Virtually everyone who knows me knows about Thomas playing there and many have become weekly watchers of the Bulldogs because of Thomas being my son," Thomas Sr. said. "I got a call last Saturday night from Shreveport, La., while we were at the (Alabama) game. One of my preachers called me when he got that first touchdown. In fact, he texted me initially to say how sweet that run was (on a 10-yard screen pass). Then he called me after the game was won in overtime."

Brown's parents returned to their native Mississippi when his father was elected 54th bishop of the CME church in July 2006.

Thomas and Louise Brown now live in Terry, Miss., a suburb of Jackson. The Ole Miss medical school is located in Jackson, but its main campus in Oxford is nearly 190 miles north. The Browns got married 35 years ago while attending Ole Miss. Georgia plays Ole Miss Saturday in Sanford Stadium.

Thomas Brown Sr. graduated from the school in 1973 and Louise Brown completed her degree at Spelman College in Atlanta while Thomas Sr. attended seminary.

Thomas Sr., who answered a calling to preach while at Ole Miss and previously served as president of the Phillips School of Theology in Atlanta and as pastor of the College Park CME Church, has a doctorate of theology. Louise Brown, who retired from her job as an instructional coordinator in DeKalb County, has a doctorate in education.

"When you meet his parents or even go in their house, you just see the kid didn't fall too far from the tree, so to speak," coach Mark Richt said. "He's just a really solid kid from a very solid house."

Thomas' sister, Nicole, has a master's degree and may pursue a doctorate. She is a coordinator of a program that helps middle school students prepare for college in Statesville, N.C.

"I just come from a very educated family," said Brown, a senior who is taking a whopping 21 credits this semester to earn his undergraduate degree in speech communications in December. "Studying is very important, not only for myself but for my family to keep that going."

The Browns tried to impress upon Thomas growing up the importance of academics. "With his playing football, of course, there is competition between football and academics," Thomas Sr. said. "With his Mom's and my help, we tried to keep his focus on academics. He's known all along how important it is to get a college education."

Running backs coach Tony Ball says the impact of Brown's upbringing shows in his interaction with players and coaches and the respect he has for authority. "You can see it in his nature and demeanor," Ball said. "You can see not only did he have both parents, but you can tell he was very well nurtured. There's not an anger about him. You can tell he was raised in a good wholesome environment."

Assistant coach Jon Fabris calls Brown "the best football player on the team," even after coming off an ACL injury last season.

"There aren't too many guys that are your leading rusher the year before he got hurt that are still covering punts, will block on a punt return if you ask him to, will be on the kickoff team," Fabris said. "At a meeting, he's not like some prima donna sashaying in at the last minute. He's one of the first people in his seat and is all business. And the guy is going to play. He's just a warrior"

Despite living in Mississippi, the Browns still make it to Georgia games. They stay at their home in Stone Mountain before home games in Athens.

Brown was highly regarded coming out of Tucker High School. Ole Miss and Mississippi State weren't on his recruiting radar.

"Most of my family is still in Mississippi," said Brown, ninth on Georgia's all-time rushing list with 2,080 yards. "They're not really Rebel fans. They're kind of my family fans. They didn't care who I played for."

I knew most of that, but I didn't know that the Browns went to Ole Miss in the late 60s/early 70s. I'll bet THAT was interesting!

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 09-27-2007 at 07:25 AM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 07:15 AM   #212
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post

From the Macon Telegraph...

Quote:
When Brown walked into Stegeman Coliseum on Friday and saw the floor set up for graduation ceremonies, he got a chill, he said.

"My heart started beating a little faster," he said. "I have been anticipating it all week long, but I have been trying to downplay it and focus on finishing up strong. I was talking to my mom about two or three days ago and telling her that feeling I have of joy doesn't compare to anything I have ever done in my life, including athletics."

On to the Sugar Bowl, and to preparing for the combines. Kiper recently said that he thought TB would be a late first/early second. NFL teams will drool over his combine results and work ethic, like his relative low use, and be somewhat concerned about his injury history.
Old 12-18-2007, 10:56 AM   #213
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog View Post
From the Macon Telegraph...

On to the Sugar Bowl, and to preparing for the combines. Kiper recently said that he thought TB would be a late first/early second. NFL teams will drool over his combine results and work ethic, like his relative low use, and be somewhat concerned about his injury history.

So right around the time the Seahawks might be looking to get a RB. That would be absolutely fantastic.
Old 04-27-2008, 02:31 PM   #214
Ben E Lou

Dat bot went 6(6) to the Falcons.
Old 04-27-2008, 02:32 PM   #215
Celeval
Pro Starter

Congratulations to TB, who just got drafted by the Falcons in the sixth round.
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 03:04 PM   #216
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

I wonder what Danny Ware is doing today.............
Old 04-27-2008, 03:07 PM   #217
Ben E Lou

He's a New York Giant, is he not?
Old 04-27-2008, 03:13 PM   #218
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Is he? I don't know. The last I read about him was at the top of this page and I figured he faded away. Good for him if he is in the NFL then.
Old 04-27-2008, 03:21 PM   #219
Buccaneer
Head Coach

So the injury/ACL question caused him to slip all the way down to the 6th round?
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 04:30 PM   #220
Swaggs
Coordinator

I'm guessing Mr. Brown will have a lot of jerseys sold.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 04:32 PM   #221
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
So the injury/ACL question caused him to slip all the way down to the 6th round?

Yeah, i was curious about that as well.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 04:38 PM   #222
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
He did quite well everywhere in the combines, except for the 40. I'm not sure if it was the ACL or the added bulk that hurt him there. He has the injury-proneness questions to answer, no question about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
I'm guessing Mr. Brown will have a lot of jerseys sold.
I would imagine that some of my ol' buddies in the THS Quarterback Club are celebrating tonight. Assuming he makes the team, TB landing in Atlanta could be a significant financial windfall for that organization.

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 04-27-2008 at 04:39 PM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 04:43 PM   #223
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Ware was on the Jets during TC and the pre-season, and was surprisingly cut before the season last year. A lot of people expected him to stick.

Then he went to the Giants as someone said. Not sure if he's still there.
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 04:51 PM   #224
Swaggs
Coordinator

I would guess Knowshon Moreno taking a lot of his carries may have been a factor, as well.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 04:55 PM   #225
Ben E Lou

Heh. KM was certainly a big factor in Ware leaving early. He point-blank said that he declared early "because Knowshown is the real deal." Were it not for the ACL injury, TB was headed out, too.
Old 04-27-2008, 04:58 PM   #226
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog View Post
Dat bot went 6(6) to the Falcons.

Wow, the University of Georgia engineering program must be so proud.

Old 04-27-2008, 06:43 PM   #227
JeeberD
General Manager

That's gotta be very cool for him, to be selected by his hometown team. Best of luck to him...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 07:15 PM   #228
digamma
Torchbearer

Really happy for Thomas! Now, if he can equal Patrick's number of Super Bowl rings....
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 07:37 PM   #229
sabotai
General Manager

The Giants still have Danny Ware on their roster, so he's still there for now.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 09:20 PM   #230
GrantDawg

Nice they picked TB, but this has to have been the worst Falcons draft ever, and that is saying something. They picked up how many LB (when that was the strongest position on the team) and grand total of 0 DT and 1 OL? Just insane.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 04-27-2008 at 09:20 PM.
Old 12-02-2009, 08:37 PM   #231
QuikSand
lolzcat

Well, he apparently got signed to the Browns' practice squad a few weeks ago... hard to imagine a better situation for Thomas to get a real NFL look.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 09:35 PM   #232
cuervo72
Head Coach

You know, I had just thought of him the other day when watching Moreno and the Broncos play the Giants. Good bump.
Old 12-04-2009, 12:41 PM   #233
QuikSand
lolzcat

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/inde...transitio.html

Quote:
No rush to get help: The rushing load in the wake of Jamal Lewis' season-ending injury is exclusively in the hands of Chris Jennings and Jerome Harrison. Coach Eric Mangini didn't sound like he feels an urgent need to add a third back.

"We usually activate two [for games] more often than not," Mangini said. "We'll look at different guys. We've brought different guys in not just this week but all throughout the course of the season at all positions. We have Thomas Brown on the practice squad. He's done a nice job. We'll evaluate all those things."
Old 12-04-2009, 01:06 PM   #234
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Considering exactly how far in the doghouse Harrison seems to be, let's hope Brown gets his chance!
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 06:26 AM   #235
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Nice they picked TB, but this has to have been the worst Falcons draft ever, and that is saying something. They picked up how many LB (when that was the strongest position on the team) and grand total of 0 DT and 1 OL? Just insane.

Haha. Thanks for bumping this. I was pretty wrong on that one, but then this years draft which felt pretty good has been a complete bust.

Anyway, I hope Thomas gets some playing time somewhere. It is good to see AA playing.
Old 02-21-2014, 03:32 PM   #236
lungs
Pro Rookie

Looks like dat boy is now the RB Coach of the Wisconsin Badgers

Link

Last edited by lungs : 02-21-2014 at 03:32 PM.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 03:48 PM   #237
GrantDawg

TB was such a good guy. I miss him.
Old 02-21-2014, 05:46 PM   #238
QuikSand
lolzcat

Seriously, among college football position coaches... "running backs at Wisconsin" would have to rate awfully highly, right? No disrespect to the old Trojans, but Madison has basically been Halfback U of late.
Old 02-21-2014, 06:01 PM   #239
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
Seriously, among college football position coaches... "running backs at Wisconsin" would have to rate awfully highly, right? No disrespect to the old Trojans, but Madison has basically been Halfback U of late.

It's more that they've been OLine U.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 06:13 PM   #240
lungs
Pro Rookie

The NFL track record on Wisconsin running backs is spotty. The O Line probably overrates them to a degree, like mckerney says. Montee Ball looks like he could be pretty good.

Thomas Brown will get to work with Melvin Gordon next year, who I feel is the best RB to come through Wisconsin ever (yes, better than Ron Dayne)
Old 02-21-2014, 06:54 PM   #241
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post
The NFL track record on Wisconsin running backs is spotty. The O Line probably overrates them to a degree, like mckerney says. Montee Ball looks like he could be pretty good.

Thomas Brown will get to work with Melvin Gordon next year, who I feel is the best RB to come through Wisconsin ever (yes, better than Ron Dayne)

Thats because they had no tread left on the tires by the time they got done there.
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 08:24 AM   #242
lungs
Pro Rookie

Dat boy heading back home to Georgia. We'll be sad to see him leave Wisconsin but it's understandable. Good recruiter, good guy, and good coach. He definitely has a future in the coaching business.
Old 10-16-2023, 12:02 PM   #243
QuikSand
lolzcat

Dat Boy call plays so good...
Old 10-16-2023, 12:03 PM   #244
QuikSand
lolzcat

Old 10-16-2023, 12:06 PM   #245
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

dat boy necros....necros so good

Last edited by CrimsonFox : 10-16-2023 at 12:06 PM.
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2023, 12:21 PM   #246
Thomkal
Head Coach

I hope that allows Young to throw down the field more
Old 10-16-2023, 12:54 PM   #247
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

If Carolina improves, dat boy better get a billion HC offers. Every young white coach that's ever been in the same room as McVay gets to be an NFL head coach. Brown deserves the same treatment.
Old 10-16-2023, 02:50 PM   #248
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Heh, I popped over to make sure this had been posted already
Old 10-17-2023, 08:13 PM   #249
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

This thread is 20 years old.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2023, 06:45 AM   #250
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

This board's commitment to reusing threads instead of starting new ones is one of my favorite things about it.