Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-13-2012, 03:26 AM   #201
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
‘Mockingbird Lane’ series downgraded to NBC Halloween Special
NBC’s rebooted Munsters series “Mockingbird Lane” will air as a Halloween special on Friday, Oct. 26 at 8/7 before their megahit supernatrural drama “Grimm,” according to The Hollywood Reporter.

10 million more dollars in the toilet.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:36 AM   #202
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Heh-heh ... creative differences and Dane Cook. Who could have predicted that?

Reading conflicting reports on Mockingbird Lane. Some reports say the show is dead and this is NBC trying to salvage some of its money back. Others say that there were "creative differences" between NBC and Bryan Fuller and Bryan Singer. NBC still wants to do the show, but now that Bryan Fuller is working on their Hannibal Lecter series, there's nobody to run Mockingbird Lane.

Given that it's taken them two years to get here, the show seems dead. Too bad, it seems like an interesting take from some creative people and a nice cast. Maybe a bit too Teen Wolf of a premise rather than Munsters, but I would like to have seen what Fuller and Singer could do.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 03:01 PM   #203
rowech
Pro Starter

I'm not sure how many people watch the tv show Parenthood but it is an OUTSTANDING tv show. It's too bad it doesn't get more press.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 06:06 PM   #204
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
I'm not sure how many people watch the tv show Parenthood but it is an OUTSTANDING tv show. It's too bad it doesn't get more press.

One of my favorites for sure. A bit too sweet at times, but still really good.
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 06:16 PM   #205
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

It is a favorite in our house.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 02:06 AM   #206
Radii
Head Coach

How do we not have a Parks and Recreation thread here? Sex Education for Seniors, the first scene at the senior center talking to the old folks about sex was one of the funniest things I've ever seen.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 03:00 AM   #207
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Has anyone watched Last Resort? It's on my DVR but I've read it's getting terrible ratings and will likely be cancelled. Just not sure if it's worth digging into a show that'll be off the air soon with no resolution.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 03:38 AM   #208
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Has anyone watched Last Resort? It's on my DVR but I've read it's getting terrible ratings and will likely be cancelled. Just not sure if it's worth digging into a show that'll be off the air soon with no resolution.

Its the only new show I've tried this season that I thought had obvious potential. There are some disjointed side stories that seem like they're going to be important but just don't interest me. I like the overall idea of the show, and I really like Andre Braugher, Scott Speedman and Robert Patrick.

It could get cancelled without a chance for any resolution, it could go bad in countless ways (though as a The Shield fanatic I want to trust Shawn Ryan and am not so worried about this)... but it could also come together into something truly interesting.

Its the only new show I'd come close to recommending, and this is obviously with some caveats. I'll stick with it as long as its around.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:35 AM   #209
Thomkal
Head Coach

And Animal Practice is the second show to be cancelled this season. Made in Jersey was the first:

‘Animal Practice’ Cancelled — Whitney Season 2 Returns Nov. 14 - TVLine
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:43 AM   #210
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
How do we not have a Parks and Recreation thread here? Sex Education for Seniors, the first scene at the senior center talking to the old folks about sex was one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

Easily one of the best episodes of the series. Such a great show.
PackerFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 09:13 AM   #211
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
And Animal Practice is the second show to be cancelled this season. Made in Jersey was the first:

Not surprising that this got canceled. Way too many novelty characters, and just not very funny. I don't get why Whitney is still on the air.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 09:19 AM   #212
MrBug708
Head Coach

You can use either Whitney or Community, but you choose Whitney? No wonder that network sucks
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 09:26 AM   #213
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
You can use either Whitney or Community, but you choose Whitney? No wonder that network sucks

huh?

EDIT: Read the article, now I get it.

Last edited by Passacaglia : 10-19-2012 at 09:27 AM.
Passacaglia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:08 AM   #214
cschex
High School Varsity

Parks and Rec is one of my favorite shows and last night's episode was one of the best ever. I was a bit underwhelmed by the beginning of this season but they hit that one out of the park.
cschex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:15 AM   #215
Easy Mac

I wouldn't be surprised if Community gets held until 30 Rock gets its half season in or if they decide to cut Up All Night short.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 11:49 AM   #216
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Parks & Rec has been one of my favorite shows for a while now. Easily my favorite sitcom for the last 3-4 years.

I am very glad "American Horror Story" is back. The show is absolutely crazy and the first episode did not disappoint.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 04:40 PM   #217
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
New Girl-Tagg Romney....lol. this show is awesome

Just got around to watching New Girl, Schmidt as Tuggb Romney and trying to explain himself after getting caught is one of the funniest things I've seen on TV in quite a while.

Spoiler
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 04:41 PM   #218
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post

After seeing promos for Animal Practice and hearing radio ads for Made in Jersey I couldn't believe either one of them was put into production.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:07 PM   #219
Easy Mac

I guess they had no other recourse, Last Resort is canceled.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:51 PM   #220
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
I guess they had no other recourse, Last Resort is canceled.

D'oh
Old 11-16-2012, 08:56 PM   #221
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

NBC is so pathetic. And they don't even have that many shows...
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:11 PM   #222
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Last Resort was on ABC
Old 11-16-2012, 09:24 PM   #223
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Last Resort was on ABC

That doesn't make NBC any less pathetic...

As for Last Resort, do we know if it is completely done as of now (should I even bother to watch this week's show on the DVR?).
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:33 PM   #224
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
That doesn't make NBC any less pathetic...

As for Last Resort, do we know if it is completely done as of now (should I even bother to watch this week's show on the DVR?).

Heard they were going to air the remaining taped episodes, but I have my doubts about whether there'll be any sort of resolution, so it might not be worth it.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:40 PM   #225
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Heard they were going to air the remaining taped episodes, but I have my doubts about whether there'll be any sort of resolution, so it might not be worth it.

That sucks. Though to be honest I don't see how this could have lasted for multiple seasons. At some point you would start to wonder how this wouldn't have reached some sort of "conclusion" by then and it pretty much loses any entertainment once there is a conclusion.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:44 PM   #226
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I couldn't make it thru much more that the pilot of Last Resort. It was obviously doomed from the start....didn't see a point when it was going to be canned.

Last edited by stevew : 11-16-2012 at 09:45 PM.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:49 PM   #227
Radii
Head Coach

Last Resort is the only new show I was watching, certainly it wasn't spectacular, but I thought it was more than good enough for an hour of my time every week. Sucks to see it go.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:36 AM   #228
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I've been watching Don't Trust The Bitch in Apt 23 on my DVR. I must say that it's way funnier than I thought it would be. Krysten Ritter is great.
Old 11-20-2012, 02:45 PM   #229
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Fun with math announcement of the day from NBC.

NBC is crowing over it's winning of adults 18-49 for the November sweeps, soaring from No. 4 to No. 1 and winning the November sweeps for the first time in nine years. Sounds great, eh?

Here's the problem. Their 2.8 is largely fueled by Sunday Night Football's ridiculous 7.6 rating. Take out football (and just the game, we'll still give NBC the pregame show). Their 18-49 rating would be 2.0. That would be good for last place among the Big 4.

NBC is in some respects better than they were a year ago, but so much of their woes this fall have been completely covered by phenomenal SNF ratings. Come February, NBC will be back in the dumper.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:47 PM   #231
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Have to say Elementary has been rather entertaining, and now that they have introduced the reference of Moriarty into the show it has added another interesting layer.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:25 PM   #232
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Was excited for The Following until Sepinwall/Feinberg trashed it. Still will check it out.

The Americans also looks interesting. I'm willing to accept pretty weak cold war type stuff and still enjoy it.

Last edited by stevew : 01-20-2013 at 01:03 AM.
Old 01-20-2013, 12:37 AM   #233
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Have to say Elementary has been rather entertaining, and now that they have introduced the reference of Moriarty into the show it has added another interesting layer.

Very much been enjoying this one. Jonny Lee Miller rocks and I am pleasantly surprised by Luci Lui. Never been a huge fan of her and she has done pretty well. I hope it keeps up.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:09 AM   #234
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I didn't see it until now, but apparently NBC also shitcanned the showrunner on "Save Me" starring Anne Heche. It's possible that they will figure out a way to get it back and running, but I gotta wonder at this point if they will just move on. Pretty crazy that they've cancelled/delayed/aborted this many programs in the last 12 months. Is this the type of stuff that typically happens, because I can't seem to recall shows getting this type of preemptive shitcanning before?

Last edited by stevew : 01-21-2013 at 01:18 AM.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:38 AM   #235
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
That sucks. Though to be honest I don't see how this could have lasted for multiple seasons. At some point you would start to wonder how this wouldn't have reached some sort of "conclusion" by then and it pretty much loses any entertainment once there is a conclusion.
I agree with this... I loved the pedigree of the show, and I thought the pilot was great, but that idea should have been a miniseries, which the networks really won't do. Maybe you could have started from a different angle and ended up with that plot as part of series, but as a standalone storyline that was always a one-season arc at best imo. Even by episode 5 or 6 they were basically dragging their feet and delving into ancillary storylines. Haven't caught the last few yet, but hopefully they had the right amount of warning on their impending cancellation and were able to tie everything up nicely.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:22 AM   #236
cougarfreak
College Starter

I'm not big on new TV shows, every time I like one it gets cancelled (so I guess my taste sucks). That being said, The Following really interests me. The Americans really, REALLY interests me.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:11 AM   #237
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarfreak View Post
I'm not big on new TV shows, every time I like one it gets cancelled (so I guess my taste sucks). That being said, The Following really interests me. The Americans really, REALLY interests me.

I'm going to be curious on the fallout on "The Following" for how graphic it is supposed to be. People saying it is the most graphic thing to ever hit the regular networks. Especially, in light of the violence within the last year, etc.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:16 AM   #238
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'm going to be curious on the fallout on "The Following" for how graphic it is supposed to be. People saying it is the most graphic thing to ever hit the regular networks. Especially, in light of the violence within the last year, etc.

If the story is good and the acting is tolerable, a fair number of people will watch (look at Breaking Bad, Walking Dead, etc). If the story sucks or the acting sucks, a considerably smaller number of people will watch.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 01-21-2013 at 08:17 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:36 AM   #239
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarfreak View Post

This is probably a good indication that your taste doesn't suck. Seeing all of the crap shows that do make it leads me to believe that taste is rarely rewarded.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:33 PM   #240
Jas_lov
College Starter

I am interested enough in The Following to keep watching. Good pilot episode.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:36 AM   #241
kcchief19
Pro Starter

The Following is another of those Last Resort type shows with a higher profile. I think it looks attractive and something I want to check out, but it's hard to invest time in it until you know it will survive and you'll get a satisfactory resolution. I'm starting to find an appeal to those limited-run series that know when they are ending ahead of time.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:33 AM   #242
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

It'll be interesting to see the national numbers later in the day but I got the Atlanta overnights in my email this morning.

Following won its timeslot in HH, 8.9 to 8.5 for Bachelor
Opened up with a 9.6 qtr hour then fell to 8.7/8.5/8.7. That's pretty good in terms of retaining audience for a debut I think, if you made it past the first 15 minutes then you stuck with it.

A18-49 it also won the timeslot, 4.9 to 4.6. That's on AQH of 5.2/4.6/5.0/5.0 and was actually a slighter bigger win since that's compared to the full 2-hours of Bachelor, which averaged a 4.5 in 9p-10p head to head portion.

Bachelor won W18-49 7.4 to 4.2, while Following won M18-49 5.7 to 1.7. Only Adults demo it didn't win was 18-34, and the older the demo the better the rating for Following (10.4 with A55+, thanks in part to a strong lead-in with the older viewers courtesy of Bones
Old 01-22-2013, 10:02 AM   #243
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Got The Following on my DVR, looking forward to checking it out. And the more I see commercials for The Americans, the more likely I will be checking that one out too.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:35 AM   #244
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackerFanatic View Post
Got The Following on my DVR, looking forward to checking it out. And the more I see commercials for The Americans, the more likely I will be checking that one out too.

Really excited for The Americans also.

We have the Following DVRed and am looking forward to checking it out.

Jons numbers surprised me, do that many people really bail on a debut show 15 minutes into it?
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:48 AM   #245
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Jons numbers surprised me, do that many people really bail on a debut show 15 minutes into it?

Not horribly unusual.

Just to grab a few of quick recent series debuts for examples, here are quarter hour numbers from Atlanta

Following: 9.6 / 8.7 / 8.5 / 8.7 ... drop 10% from 1st QH to 2nd
Nashville: 10.0 / 9.3 / 8.6 / 8.7 ... drop 7% from 1st QH to 2nd
Last Resort: 8.4 / 7.7 / 8.1 / 8.2 ... drop 8% from 1st QH to 2nd
Elementary : 6.4 / 5.8 / 5.7 / 5.7 ... drop 9% from 1st QH to 2nd

My comment about how it held on was more about how it stabilized for the final half-hour. What you don't want to see as a new show (generally speaking) is a steady decline throughout the hour.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 01-22-2013 at 10:49 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:03 PM   #246
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Don't know about quarter hours but looks like The Following did a decent debut number in the overnights. Barely lost the hour to CBS but beat The Bachelor fairly handily. It built on its Bones opening. If it can hold 80% of the look-in audience, it should be OK.

Also saw on TV By the Numbers that NCIS topped 25 million viewers for the first time last week. First off, given that we're in an era where just north of 10 million viewers makes you a top 10 scripted hit, that's amazing. Given that NCIS continues to put up its best ratings in its tenth season, that's some impressive longevity.

Have to wonder how much longer they can afford to keep the band together, and if changing the cast damages the chemistry. The Law & Order franchise seemed to thrive on changes but it also never put up the numbers NCIS does. The principal cast seems to be the driver of the appeal of the show. Harmon has sounded like he might be getting tired, but it feels like if any of the big four leave the show feels doomed.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:44 PM   #247
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I think NCIS is doomed if any of the big 4 leave.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:44 AM   #248
stevew
Hall Of Famer

A bit disheartened that ABC cancelled "Don't trust the B in apt 23". Obviously this show had one of the dumbest titles ever, which probably lead to it not appealing to most potential viewers. But Krysten Ritter and James Van Der Beek were both great, in spite of the fact that the other female lead in the show was flat out awful. I figure that the next Ritter project will probably succeed as she has massive charisma.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:56 AM   #249
cougarfreak
College Starter

Watched "The Following" on DVR last night. I thought the pilot was pretty good. Looking forward to watching the rest of the show.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:17 AM   #250
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Love Krysten Ritter. Excellent on Breaking Bad.