Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-03-2010, 09:42 PM   #201
digamma
Torchbearer

Have they announced which days the Saints and Vikings will play in the divisional round? We have some travel plans on Saturday the 16th and my MSP native wife is fretting about not being able to see the Vikings. I can't seem to find anything but blank brackets with the Jan 16/17 date on various sites.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 09:43 PM   #202
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post
A pattern has emerged which means with absolute certainty that the Cowboys will win the Super Bowl.

Two of the three premier franchises in major American sports have already won championships (Lakers and Yankees).

Kobe winning without Shaq for the Lakers and Yankees winning with ARod being so unclutch for so long. Cowboys will win with Tony Romo becoming a December/January clutch QB superstar performer and Wade Phillips being a playoff coaching mastermind.

The stars are aligned and there is nothing the sporting world can do to stop this trifecta from occuring. Not even Brett Favre.

The Tony Romo thread will be the best thread ever if this happens.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 09:44 PM   #203
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Pretty crazy that three of the four matchups next weekend are going to be between teams that played this weekend. That's gotta be a first, right?
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 09:44 PM   #204
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post
A pattern has emerged which means with absolute certainty that the Cowboys will win the Super Bowl.

Two of the three premier franchises in major American sports have already won championships (Lakers and Yankees).

Kobe winning without Shaq for the Lakers and Yankees winning with ARod being so unclutch for so long. Cowboys will win with Tony Romo becoming a December/January clutch QB superstar performer and Wade Phillips being a playoff coaching mastermind.

The stars are aligned and there is nothing the sporting world can do to stop this trifecta from occuring. Not even Brett Favre.

Indy vs Minn.
tucker rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 09:46 PM   #205
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
Pretty crazy that three of the four matchups next weekend are going to be between teams that played this weekend. That's gotta be a first, right?

Can't recall this happening either.
Old 01-03-2010, 09:48 PM   #206
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
The Tony Romo thread will be the best thread ever if this happens.

A thread on FOFC talking about how ARod and Tony Romo can't come through in the clutch only to see them both lead their teams to championships months later....
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 09:49 PM   #207
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
Have they announced which days the Saints and Vikings will play in the divisional round? We have some travel plans on Saturday the 16th and my MSP native wife is fretting about not being able to see the Vikings. I can't seem to find anything but blank brackets with the Jan 16/17 date on various sites.

Im guessing since the Vikings will be playing the Eagles/Cowboys that will be the Sunday game as the TV ratings will be higher.

New Orleans vs Green Bay/Arizona wont have near the national exposure. Purely speculation though.

Of course I have no data to backup that the Sunday games have better ratings. Even though Ive always thought that is how it is set up.

My guess is Pats/Ravens vs Colts and Eagles/Cowboys vs Vikings on Sunday. Jets/Bengals vs Chargers and Cardinals/Packers vs New Orleans on Saturday.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 01-03-2010 at 09:56 PM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 09:50 PM   #208
Atocep
Coordinator

We also had the Lebron isn't clutch thread the season he ended up taking the Cavs to the finals.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 09:54 PM   #209
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
Im guessing since the Vikings will be playing the Eagles/Cowboys that will be the Sunday game as the TV ratings will be higher.

New Orleans vs Green Bay/Arizona wont have near the national exposure. Purely speculation though.

Of course I have no data to backup that the Sunday game has better ratings.

Doesn't the NFL still half re-seed after the Wildcard round so that the #1 seed always plays the lower seeded team? So, it could be Vikings-Cards, if the Cards win and the Eagles win on the road? Only thing you can't have is Vikings-Packers.
Old 01-03-2010, 09:57 PM   #210
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
Doesn't the NFL still half re-seed after the Wildcard round so that the #1 seed always plays the lower seeded team? So, it could be Vikings-Cards, if the Cards win and the Eagles win on the road? Only thing you can't have is Vikings-Packers.

I dont think being in the same division matters anymore. The re-seeding should there be an upset I am not sure though.
Old 01-03-2010, 10:01 PM   #211
henry296
College Starter

Definitely re-seed after wild card weekend with no division restrictions. If Eagles and Green Bay both win then you will have Min-GB in the divisional round.
Old 01-03-2010, 10:04 PM   #212
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry296 View Post
Definitely re-seed after wild card weekend with no division restrictions. If Eagles and Green Bay both win then you will have Min-GB in the divisional round.

Hmm, well that messes up what we are trying to figure out. Seems certain that any matchup with the Eagles/Cowboys and Vikings would be a priority timeslot game however if the Eagles go to New Orleans that might trump the Vikings game against Packers/for sure Cards.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 01-03-2010 at 10:48 PM.
Old 01-03-2010, 10:41 PM   #213
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry296 View Post

Yup, you're right. For some reason, I was thinking Arizona was the #3. So, the Eagles (as the 6) are the only team that can't match up with the Vikings.
Old 01-03-2010, 10:52 PM   #214
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker rocky View Post
GB/Arz, Philly/Dallas, NYJ/Cincy, all meet again for the real showdown next week.

That has to be a 1st, and 2 of the games are exactly the same as they are in the same location.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:55 PM   #215
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

dola: This week sucked!!!!!! Going from a possible 2 seed with at least one home game to the number 6 seed is unreal....
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 11:57 PM   #216
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
dola: This week sucked!!!!!! Going from a possible 2 seed with at least one home game to the number 6 seed is unreal....

Hopefully the real Eagles will show up next week,
and Romo will make his usual exit stage left.
Old 01-04-2010, 12:10 AM   #217
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

repeat comments from last week...
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 02:27 AM   #218
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker rocky View Post
and Romo will make his usual exit stage left.

Seems like I've been hearing that the past three weeks...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 02:40 AM   #219
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
Hmm, well that messes up what we are trying to figure out. Seems certain that any matchup with the Eagles/Cowboys and Vikings would be a priority timeslot game however if the Eagles go to New Orleans that might trump the Vikings game against Packers/for sure Cards.

I have to think that if the schedule is based on potential ratings, and IF the Packers and Vikings played in the divisional round, that it would end up getting priority over Eagles/Saints.

I mean, just remembering how ESPN was slobbering over the first two matchups, you gotta think whoever is televising the NFC playoffs would drown in a puddle of drool over a MIN/GB matchup (although they might prefer it in an NFC title game with a trip to Miami on the line).
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 07:24 AM   #220
Thomkal
Head Coach

And Jim Zorn has been fired already. Shocking!
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 08:25 AM   #221
Rizon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
And Jim Zorn has been fired already. Shocking!

In other surprising news: Lance Bass is gay.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 08:56 AM   #222
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Zorn was fired at a 4am meeting? Damn! at least let a guy sleep in a bit...
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 09:03 AM   #223
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by M GO BLUE!!! View Post

If it was me I would have said: "4am? Is this meeting to terminate me? If so, we can just go ahead and skip the meeting."
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 09:14 AM   #224
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Since the Bengals were pretty much locked in on who they'd play, I wouldn't be too surprised to see a very different result next weekend from that game. Jets had to play hard just to get in, but the Bengals wouldn't want to give much away and so likely played a pretty vanilla gameplan.

The Philly / Dallas game is a very different kettle of fish, since Philly had a shot at the #2 seed and tanked it. I can't believe they held back and risked a road game and the #6 seed.
Old 01-04-2010, 09:30 AM   #225
Butter
Coordinator

As a Bengal fan, I am pretty pleased to even get in the playoffs at all. I can't be too upset about the game last night... and frankly after thinking it over, I would much rather play the Jets than the Ravens at this point. Despite the Jets apparent "dismantling" of the Bengals, next week will be a much different atmosphere. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the Jets win it considering that the Bengals have been struggling through the last half of the season. But Bengal fans should be a lot happier than they are too, instead of dwelling on last night's debacle.
Old 01-04-2010, 09:46 AM   #226
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
Since the Bengals were pretty much locked in on who they'd play, I wouldn't be too surprised to see a very different result next weekend from that game. Jets had to play hard just to get in, but the Bengals wouldn't want to give much away and so likely played a pretty vanilla gameplan.

The Philly / Dallas game is a very different kettle of fish, since Philly had a shot at the #2 seed and tanked it. I can't believe they held back and risked a road game and the #6 seed.

They may have had a vanilla gameplan but did they ever look uncomfortable in that cold weather. It's one thing to not want to give anything away its another thing to be completely torn apart and physically dominated like the Jets did to them in that first half.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:07 AM   #227
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by M GO BLUE!!! View Post

yeah just another ridiculous moment in the whole fiasco really. Snyder should have just fired him after the Detroit game. Instead the whole situation just became a bigger and bigger joke and embarassment for the organization.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 10:28 AM   #228
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post

Believe me I am a huge Cinci fan and hope they blow out the Jets but I am not sure I have seen anything but a vanilla gameplan from them the whole season. I do think that a lot of the dropped balls were from recievers that didn't want to get hit and the defense wasn't exactly breaking a sweat trying to stop them either (especially after NY was up 17 and it was obvious this one was going to be replayed next weekend)

Why does Brad Smith (one of my Mizzou guys) have to have his breakout NFL game against my Bengals? Couldn't this have happened earlier in the season or next? Heres to hoping the Bengals shut Smith down and put the game in Sanchez's hands.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 10:47 AM   #229
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Bills just fired their entire coaching staff.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 10:52 AM   #230
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Reports saying Bill Sheridan will be fired, not soon enough.

Also, calling your lame duck coach to a 4 AM meeting to fire him is a great way to advertise to potential replacements how you treat people.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 11:02 AM   #231
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post

Also, calling your lame duck coach to a 4 AM meeting to fire him is a great way to advertise to potential replacements how you treat people.

seriously. i'd have a "no meeting with or communication from ownership group before 8am" put into my contract.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:13 AM   #232
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Is Tom Coughlin safe? I havent heard much about him. The way they ended the past 2 season hasnt been real impressive and the fact that he was in a world of trouble before they made the SB run makes me wonder if they might want to go another direction.

Far too much talent to be and 8-8 team. Ending the way they did makes me wonder if his time hasnt run its course.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 01-04-2010 at 11:13 AM.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:17 AM   #233
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

All accounts are that he is safe and Sheridan is the fall guy. I think they give him one more year based on the Plax thing last year and a ton of injuries this year.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:19 AM   #234
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

wow, just saw on ESPN Davis is going to fire Cable. Really? Seemed to me he actually did a good job and could be a decent coach with a competent person making personnel decisions.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:21 AM   #235
Logan
Head Coach

At least the Redskins fired him after a flight home, unlike when the Mets fired Willie Randolph at 2am after making him fly out to Cali.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 11:22 AM   #236
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
wow, just saw on ESPN Davis is going to fire Cable. Really? Seemed to me he actually did a good job and could be a decent coach with a competent person making personnel decisions.

seriously??

i thought cable was like...maybe one of their bright spots. team actually won a few games this year too. i guess this goes to show that Al Davis expects his coaches to be able to overcome his insane meddling in personnel matters.

i wonder who's insane enough to take that job at this point.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:23 AM   #237
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

+1.

Just another spineless move by a man that cant accept he is the one that brought this franchise down.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:23 AM   #238
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

worrisome - Brady's completion percentage with Welker in the lineup is more than 11 points higher this season (68) than it is without him (56.3).

Also, if he's got an ACL/MCL tear you can pretty much rule him out for most if not all of next year too. 6-12 months recovery time.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 01-04-2010 at 11:24 AM.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:49 AM   #239
Jughead Spock
High School Varsity

Quote:

Thus, why Davis had to fire him.

As for the 4am thing, yeah, kinda sucks, but was probably a case where Zorn was usually in at 4:30, even off-season. NFL Coaches are crazy.
Jughead Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 11:54 AM   #240
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Bills just fired their entire coaching staff.

Bobby April's name just got added to a lot of peoples' short lists for staff positions.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 11:58 AM   #241
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead Spock View Post
As for the 4am thing, yeah, kinda sucks, but was probably a case where Zorn was usually in at 4:30, even off-season. NFL Coaches are crazy.

Washington played in SD. I'm sure by the time they cleaned up, did post game stuff, got on a plane and flew home it was probably 2 in the morning. I'm sure they walked off the bus, took him in the office and fired him which is far better than telling him to go home and be back at 9:00 AM to be fired.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 12:08 PM   #242
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
Washington played in SD. I'm sure by the time they cleaned up, did post game stuff, got on a plane and flew home it was probably 2 in the morning. I'm sure they walked off the bus, took him in the office and fired him which is far better than telling him to go home and be back at 9:00 AM to be fired.

good point.
Old 01-04-2010, 12:08 PM   #243
JediKooter
Coordinator

Welker is a pussy if he doesn't play in the playoffs. I mean this is the playoffs, you need to tough it out for the team and do whatever you can to help win.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 12:36 PM   #244
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
Welker is a pussy if he doesn't play in the playoffs. I mean this is the playoffs, you need to tough it out for the team and do whatever you can to help win.

One would assume the crutches and immobilized knee would make his cuts less crisp.
Old 01-04-2010, 12:44 PM   #245
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari View Post
One would assume the crutches and immobilized knee would make his cuts less crisp.

He could catch a bubble screen and fall forward for 2 yards.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 12:47 PM   #246
Kodos
Resident Alien

Despite being a Patriot, Welker is one of my favorite players. Sad to see him go down like that.
Old 01-04-2010, 01:39 PM   #247
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
That's crazy. Put a decent QB on that team and I actually think they have a shot at making the playoffs.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 01:41 PM   #248
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
That's crazy. Put a decent QB on that team and I actually think they have a shot at making the playoffs.

minus that whole punching another coach... and his exwife thing...
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 01:49 PM   #249
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post

I believe that's exactly what Cable said,

Tom Cable: JaMarcus Russell Kept Us Out of the Playoffs -- NFL FanHouse

which is why Davis will probably fire him. Davis has some weird torrid love obsession with Russell because he can throw a ball 900 yards from his back, ignoring the detail that one is usually down at that point.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 01:51 PM   #250
RainMaker
General Manager

If it was about the punching his assistant, he would have been fired earlier. I think this is over trashing Russell and giving up on him.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote