Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-08-2008, 02:20 PM   #201
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
It's still better to take a 5 or 10 second penalty than to dick around on the handbike. The handbike should be over the flames.....now that'd be cool.
Oh, I agree with this, because the contenders seem to take a lot longer than 10 seconds to get across the handbike.

I think that they should further discourage contenders from dropping off the handbike. If your opponent has already crossed the handbike, then if you fall, your penalty is the amount of time your opponent took plus five seconds. If you're the first one there and you fall, you have to wait for your opponent to cross, and then you have to wait however long they took plus five seconds. If your opponent has already fallen and is waiting for you, then if you fall, they change your name to "Slappy" and you lose.

Last edited by Pumpy Tudors : 01-08-2008 at 02:22 PM.
Pumpy Tudors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 02:21 PM   #202
Anthony
Banned

it's one second for every 2 pts.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 02:22 PM   #203
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Atlantic View Post
it's one second for every 2 pts.

thank you brother, my bad...

FM
Old 01-08-2008, 05:56 PM   #204
highfiveoh
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
Brother, I think it's pretty hard, brother, to gauge something like this, brother, as "a big hit" after three episodes (assuming we count Sunday's showing as two), brother, especially since they aired on back-to-back nights, brother. Let's see, brother, what happens, brother, after the show has been on for a few weeks, brother, and people start getting annoyed, brother, by the awful commentary, brother, and the overdone production elements, brother. Even worse, brother, is that the competition, brother, is just plain lackluster, brother, as the Eliminator, brother, just slows down all of the momentum, brother, to a screeching, brother, halt. Personally, brother, I think you could, brother, air back-to-back nights, sister, of Peyton Manning sitting on the toilet, brother, while he's taking an enormous shit, brother, and people would watch it, brother, just out of curiosity, brother. I think after six weeks of that, brother, people would probably, brother, quit watching.

COR-RECT

The ratings for these first two shows don't mean shit. You knew a bunch were going to tune in. The key is how much the ratings drop from show #2 to #3, #3 to #4, and #4 to #5.
highfiveoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 06:03 PM   #205
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Why in the hell would anyone consider "American Gladiators" a likely place to go for insightful commentary on anything? That's one thing I never expected from this show.
Karlifornia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 06:20 PM   #206
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
Why in the hell would anyone consider "American Gladiators" a likely place to go for insightful commentary on anything? That's one thing I never expected from this show.
Well, brother, I expect more, brother, than what we're getting, brother.
Old 01-08-2008, 07:47 PM   #207
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Well, brother, I expect more, brother, than what we're getting, brother.

thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 07:50 PM   #208
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

This show needs to be watched on DVR. Fast forward through all of the talking and enjoy the highlights or a 60 minute show in about 25 minutes.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 10:25 PM   #209
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

You know what bothered me a lot, was that they get all set up for an event, everyone is ready and the official yells "GO" and they go to commerical. WTF?!! The original never played it that way.
Old 01-09-2008, 10:27 AM   #210
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
You know what bothered me a lot, was that they get all set up for an event, everyone is ready and the official yells "GO" and they go to commerical. WTF?!! The original never played it that way.

Shows back then didn't have to work so hard to get people to come back after the commercial. These days it seems like everyone is throwing in mini cliff-hangers at the commercial breaks...especially the game shows.

I also wonder if there is some agreement with the advertisers to produce shows this way. If they can create enough tension at the commercial break, or if they can promise viewers they will be thrown right into the action after the break, people may be less likely to leave during the commercial for fear of missing something. I'm sure it doesn't help with DVR people, but it might help with people who surf during the commercials.
Old 01-09-2008, 10:38 AM   #211
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post

That really obnoxious.

But not nearly as obnoxious as things will be once everyone's on DVR.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 09:57 AM   #212
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

First ratings are in. It's a hit (at least the debut)

NBC’s revamp of the campy competition classic “American Gladiators” scored the highest new series premiere rating of the season.

“Gladiators” earned a 5.9 preliminary rating among adults 18 to 49 and was seen by 12 million viewers. The demo rating gives "Gladiators" the best score for an NBC debut since “Heroes." Previously, the highest premiere tally this season was held by "Bionic Woman" (5.7), NBC's other action-filled primetime remake.

The two-hour premiere came in second during the 9 p.m. hour behind an original episode of “Desperate Housewives” (7.2), but it handily won the 10 p.m. hour. What’s more, “Gladiators’” final half-hour was its highest-rated, with a 6.1, which bodes well for the true test of the show’s strength when the show airs in its regular time period on Monday.

Last edited by SirFozzie : 01-10-2008 at 09:57 AM.
SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 10:01 AM   #213
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD View Post
If they can create enough tension at the commercial break, or if they can promise viewers they will be thrown right into the action after the break, people may be less likely to leave during the commercial for fear of missing something. I'm sure it doesn't help with DVR people, but it might help with people who surf during the commercials.
The beauty of it is that they don't throw us right into the action after the break. They basically replay the ten seconds before the break, so we end up seeing the same thing twice. Funny how that works. This kind of stuff has really made game shows close to unwatchable. Is it really necessary to replay or recap something insignificant that we just saw two minutes ago? Ugh.
Old 01-10-2008, 11:44 AM   #214
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
The beauty of it is that they don't throw us right into the action after the break. They basically replay the ten seconds before the break, so we end up seeing the same thing twice. Funny how that works. This kind of stuff has really made game shows close to unwatchable. Is it really necessary to replay or recap something insignificant that we just saw two minutes ago? Ugh.

That is the genius of network programming executives at work. They create as much attention as possible to keep people from leaving, and also try to capture the interest of new people who might be joining. For those of us who just want to watch and don't need to be catered to...we just get annoyed twice.
Old 01-10-2008, 12:03 PM   #215
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...ryId=1417&cs=1

Interesting, the first three episodes it's so popular with NBC's affiliates that they got permission from NBC to re-run them on three consecutive weekends, starting 1/19.
Old 01-10-2008, 01:26 PM   #216
Logan
Head Coach

There is going to be a catastrophic dropoff in the next few weeks. I know a ton of people who watched it (males, 21-27) and haven't heard from a single person who will watch next time around.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 01:29 PM   #217
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
There is going to be a catastrophic dropoff in the next few weeks. I know a ton of people who watched it (males, 21-27) and haven't heard from a single person who will watch next time around.

It's just not a show you make a point of watching. The good part is that it's one that if it's on and you are around you can get some shits and grins out of it for 5 or 10 minutes.

As far as saying oh boy, another new gladiator to block off an hour for...uh doubt it.
Old 01-10-2008, 01:33 PM   #218
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf View Post
It's just not a show you make a point of watching. The good part is that it's one that if it's on and you are around you can get some shits and grins out of it for 5 or 10 minutes.

As far as saying oh boy, another new gladiator to block off an hour for...uh doubt it.

I think it's actually a great show if you have a DVR and can watch it later. You can cut out a lot of the crap and watch the show in 30-35 minutes. If I had to watch the entire hour including commercials, I doubt I would be a regular watcher.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 01:35 PM   #219
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
I think it's actually a great show if you have a DVR and can watch it later. You can cut out a lot of the crap and watch the show in 30-35 minutes. If I had to watch the entire hour including commercials, I doubt I would be a regular watcher.
MBBF beat me to it - especially during this writer's strike crap, it's a solid DVR filler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 01:39 PM   #220
saldana
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD View Post
This show needs to be watched on DVR. Fast forward through all of the talking and enjoy the highlights or a 60 minute show in about 25 minutes.

thats exactly how i watched it...it wasnt bad when it was only a half hour long

the question i have for the show is: how much time goes by between contenders when the same gladiator(s) have to play the same game separately?

for instance...when the event is the ring swing game, and the gladiator plays twice, there seemed to be enough time in between for the gladitor to become dry after having fallen in the pool.

the contenders always get soaked and then are dry again by the time the next event comes along....only reason i care is, it seems that there is alot more endurance needed for the eliminator when they have to do so many things at once...they dont seem to need much at all to get through the regular part of the game.

seems kind of stupid
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 01:41 PM   #221
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post

what good is that in terms of ratings which keeps the show going?
Old 01-10-2008, 01:51 PM   #222
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Even if Gladiators doesn't survive on NBC, I'm sure it'll be back in syndication in no-time. Ideally they could add at least one more game per hour without trying to pander to network ad breaks/hype. I'd be happy with setting the DVR to record it on 1am on saturday morning.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 07:02 PM   #223
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Just a bump for Pumpy to remind him to watch!
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 07:16 PM   #224
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
Just a bump for Pumpy to remind him to watch!
Thanks! This is really exciting! The female gladiators still aren't capable of doing shit out there!
Old 01-14-2008, 07:18 PM   #225
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Thanks! This is really exciting! The female gladiators still aren't capable of doing shit out there!

No kidding, Monica was faking them out with ease. At least they have had some very cute contenders.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 07:23 PM   #226
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

If Monica continues to dominate this competition but loses the Eliminator because of that damn treadmill, I'm finished with this show.
Old 01-14-2008, 07:23 PM   #227
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I was dissapointed that MMA girl gladiator wasn't doing the joust. She is unstoppable in it. The venom girl wasn't any good
Old 01-14-2008, 07:32 PM   #228
MikeVic
Head Coach

Imma gonna have to go ballistic here and charge after the maximum points!!!
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 07:32 PM   #229
finkenst
College Benchwarmer

and i've got a local debate here.
Originally Posted by mijb#19
Switzerland is independant and will try to do so until the apacolypse is upon us.
finkenst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 07:34 PM   #230
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

The look on Helga's face when she went flying was funny.
Old 01-14-2008, 07:34 PM   #231
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Helgga is so bad she even loses at assault
Old 01-14-2008, 07:34 PM   #232
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
Imma gonna have to go ballistic here and charge after the maximum points!!!
That line was awful. It makes me think that they're even scripting the contenders' lines. Damn, that was horrible.
Old 01-14-2008, 07:40 PM   #233
MikeVic
Head Coach

Nice misfire.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 07:42 PM   #234
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Where in the hell is Siren? The other gladiators and the contenders are nice to watch, but I haven't seen Siren at all yet. This makes Pumpy mad!
Old 01-14-2008, 07:58 PM   #235
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Monica rocks. Very cute and she just set the quickest time of any contestant on the eliminator.
Old 01-14-2008, 08:06 PM   #236
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Monica rocks. Very cute and she just set the quickest time of any contestant on the eliminator.

why can't my son's teammates have soccer moms like that, why???

FM
Old 01-14-2008, 08:18 PM   #237
cuervo72
Head Coach

Dangit! Forgot it was on again!
Old 01-15-2008, 01:33 PM   #238
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Oh wow. This is not Overkill, this is Overtkill.

We have the following:

2nd Season already signed up
National Tour in arenas across america.
Brand new site with classic episodes
And...
The American Gladiators Cartoon!

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/...e5bcc118?imw=Y
Old 01-15-2008, 01:35 PM   #239
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post

We have the following:

And...

this show isn't even close to good. not even in a cheesy way. wow.

and I liked the old one,

brother.

Last edited by rkmsuf : 01-15-2008 at 01:35 PM.
rkmsuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 01:36 PM   #240
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

I like the new one myself, but wow.. talk about overkill.
Old 01-15-2008, 01:40 PM   #241
rkmsuf
Head Coach

What's the top prize? 100K? I'll give NBC credit as the show is dirt cheap to do. They pull a modest rating and they make money hand over fist.
Old 01-15-2008, 02:04 PM   #242
Jas_lov
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post

We have the following:

And...

I've been saying all along that this show is going to be a big hit and that it should get a 2nd season. I think a national tour is a great idea. Glad to see this show get another season. It deserves it.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 03:52 PM   #243
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I think the show would be fine in a live setting, but otherwise, it has about as much television appeal to me as indoor soccer. The commentators are atrocious, and the Eliminator needs to be re-worked. Couple that with the irritating production and it makes the show painful. I think a live tour is a good idea, and I'd be glad to go see it if it happened near me. I just hope they wouldn't have to script my cheers for me.
Old 01-15-2008, 06:01 PM   #244
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I thought I had recognized the bull rider from somewhere. Belinda Gavin's an actress who has done - among other things - softcore pseudo-porn, like Showtime and Skinemax-level stuff. Bull rider, my ass. This chick's job is shedding her clothes and simulating sex in badly-edited direct-to-video movies.
Old 01-15-2008, 08:54 PM   #245
Rizon
Pro Starter

Quote:
I thought I had recognized the bull rider from somewhere. Belinda Gavin's an actress who has done - among other things - softcore pseudo-porn, like Showtime and Skinemax-level stuff. Bull rider, my ass. This chick's job is shedding her clothes and simulating sex in badly-edited direct-to-video movies.

I'm 100% convinced that reality shows no longer use real people, but amateur actors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 05:57 PM   #246
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

quick heads up for anyone inteested, the finale is tonight. At least it starts in about 5 minutes in the East...

FM
Old 02-17-2008, 06:03 PM   #247
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Thanks for the heads up. I've missed several of these, but with nothing better on TV, I'll put this on in the background until the All-Star game comes on.
Old 02-17-2008, 08:25 PM   #248
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

For the one west coaster who hasn't seen it yet, I won't spoil anything, but none of the four contenders look like they'd make decent gladiators. Are they seriously going to make the two winners into gladiators next season (assuming they really go through with next season)? Good grief.
Old 02-17-2008, 08:35 PM   #249
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

There's also reports that former WWE wrestler Chris Masters, current TNA wrestling talent Matt Morgan and female MMA fighter Erin Toughill are meeting with producers about becoming new Gladiators for next season.
Old 02-17-2008, 11:13 PM   #250
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
For the one west coaster who hasn't seen it yet, I won't spoil anything, but none of the four contenders look like they'd make decent gladiators. Are they seriously going to make the two winners into gladiators next season (assuming they really go through with next season)? Good grief.

Since it's over on the West Coast too, but are you kidding? Put Evan as one of the Gladiators on the Wall, and no one is getting up that thing. He'd probably be pretty damned good for Powerball too. He's incredibly quick and apparently doesn't get tired. There are uses for him.